Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill Bill  (Read 4368 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Kill Bill
« on: April 18, 2004, 05:17:57 am »

I just got back from seeing the second installment, and while I found some of the allusions a little (ok, very) forced, I thought it was overall quite clever and entertaining.  Not Tarantino's best though.

Any other opinions?
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Kill Bill
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 03:08:24 pm »

Shhhhhhhh!

Or well, I could have not clicked. But I was intrigued to know if it was regarding the first or not, which I saw last weekend, finally!
I'm going to see vol. II as a first date this Friday though. Classy and all.
I saw the trailer, and I think I will be happy with it. There was nothing about vol. I that I didn't think was superb, and I can't see him disappointing me with what is essentially the other half of the movie. And the Bride's teacher just looks excellent. I mean Tarantino is paying homage to all the kinds of films I love the most.

Anyway, I'll post when I've been to see it, whenever I then get home.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Kill Bill
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 03:43:07 pm »

I saw it at a press screening last week.  I've been watching the Vol. 1 DVD since it came out, and have grown more impressed with One the more I see it, but Two is so much better.

Seen as a complete film, it's an epic masterpiece.

I'm thinking of going to see Two again this week sometime.  Anyone want to go? ;)

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Kill Bill
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 05:22:22 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Anyone want to go? ;)


Gee man... I would, but it might get kind of uncomfortable!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 09:36:34 pm »

I'll have to wait a couple weeks. I've never thought Tarantino was all that great but I can't tell if it's me just rejecting it because he's loved by the mainstream or the mainstream fawing over him because they're supposed to.

Anyway, Vol 1 was highly entertaining for 90% and just corny enough. And to borrow a phrase, the soundtrack was bulletproof cool.

I've heard 2 is less violent, that Kwai Chang Caine made the film, and The Bride is the best female role in years. Anybody care to support or refute these?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Kill Bill
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 10:37:51 pm »

I refute none of that.

I also heard someone say yesterday that "I don't like Tarantino movies."

They may as well have said "I don't like movies."  I mean, Tarantino is a master of the form.  He's the Rodin of cinema.  (Generally if you don't like Rodin's work, you just don't like sculpture)

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 02:05:17 am »

Quote from: "jough"
 He's the Rodin of cinema.  


I always liked Gamera, or even Mothra better than Rodin.  

Of course, in a pinch, I'll go with whatever radioactively created gargantuan monster is around to destroy Tokyo.  But that's just me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Kill Bill
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 05:19:50 am »

He's François Auguste - with an e.

I always thought AugustWest would get more respect if he were:

AugusteWest

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 05:23:01 am »

All I can say about the movie is, hells yeah. It was pretty tupping good.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Kill Bill
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 02:29:50 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I refute none of that.

I also heard someone say yesterday that "I don't like Tarantino movies."

They may as well have said "I don't like movies."  I mean, Tarantino is a master of the form.  He's the Rodin of cinema.  (Generally if you don't like Rodin's work, you just don't like sculpture)

Wow. He's made, what, 4 movies?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Kill Bill
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 02:42:37 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "jough"
I refute none of that.

I also heard someone say yesterday that "I don't like Tarantino movies."

They may as well have said "I don't like movies."  I mean, Tarantino is a master of the form.  He's the Rodin of cinema.  (Generally if you don't like Rodin's work, you just don't like sculpture)

Wow. He's made, what, 4 movies?


Yes, but my statement would have held true after the second.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 05:18:23 pm »

**spoiler**
The ending was a let down for me.  I really wanted a battle royal between Bill and Kiddo - imagine all that rage and sexual tension.

*** end of spoiler***


I really enjoyed it otherwise.  Lots of fun, and nice to see a female action hero.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 05:33:35 pm »

Time for a little spoiler practice there, side_show....
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Kill Bill
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 08:44:49 pm »

Yeah, that really is quite the spoiler.  Personally, I liked the ending.  Curiously poignant, tied everything together nicely- a real class act.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Kill Bill
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 11:53:11 pm »

**SPOILER ALERT**

Yeah, I agree with andalucia. When Bill's face was blown off, and you realized that he was actually a cyborg from the future....it just all fell together.

**END SPOILER ALERT**
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up