Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 15641 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
What's in a name?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 03:04:08 pm »

I might just change my name to ***** ****, or maybe **** *****. Slink, your name was already sort of Superhero/Supervillain - it's just moreso now. Which is cool.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
What's in a name?
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 03:27:51 pm »

Tormad Slink Jadranko sounds like someone upon whom the Ayatollah would issue a fuck*ng fatwa.

Awesome.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 07:54:49 pm »

He'd issue T. Slink Jadranko a Fat One, I think.
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
What's in a name?
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2004, 08:25:13 pm »

Tormad Jadranko reminds me of my favorite name from history, the one I'd steal if I could possibly back it up: Nestor Makhno. Are you a wee bit Ukrainian, Slink?
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 08:31:59 pm »

Seems a little reminescent of "Haywood Jablome".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 08:53:49 pm »

My favorite historical name remains "Hjalmar Horace Greeley Schacht." Even if he was a Nazi, that's a hell of a name to have.

Anyway, Tormad Slink Jadranko may be the finest name that has ever existed. It's especially awesome if Tormad was actually, like, a birth name.

My personal name is a little trust-fund-baby-ish, but I've grown attached to it and want to keep it, if only because my last name is vanishingly rare on this side of the pond and thus I want to preserve the traditions of my dying people. (I sound like an elf, I realize. Bear with me.) My only real name pet peeve is that it has six "a"s, two vowelish "y"s, and no other vowels, making it functionally impossible to get adequate anagrams from.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's in a name?
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2004, 09:15:09 pm »

I'll jump on this bandwagon.  It is indeed a name of wonder, and congratulations Slink.

I'm still undecided on my favourite historical name though.  I do find Otto von Bismarck unreasonably fun to say, but that appreciation is probably coloured by my love of the man himself.  Silly hats and contemptuous telegrams, oh yeah.

And thanks as well to Bozack as well.  Though I have not yet gotten around to accomplishing either of the tasks my moniker apparently sets out for me, I'd like to think I'd be up to either of them.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2004, 05:50:37 am »

Wow.
I've totally just got back from my friends house, at 6.40am to be greeted by all your comments regarding the name.
I definitely like the idea of being a supervillain. I have long plotted, without toiling naturally, in my dormant volcanic lair, but have never actually had the name to fulfill the role. Tormad would have been a good start. but it was derailed immediately by Grover and kicked while down by Robson. So all in all it was an odd conglomeration.
While it would be quite tempting to have kept Grover, I felt four names was silly. And having Grover and Slink in the same name was just unreasonable!
My parents only response when I mentioned that I had indeed got round to it, was that if I was keeping Tormad, could they call me that... The downside being, as a child whenever my mother shouted at me, she would call me Tormad. Oddly the person who flipped out was my friend who calls me Slink about half the time, and yet for some reason...

I've had a few jolts today as I remembered that my name is actually now Slink.

Oh and no, as far as I'm aware, despite my best efforts in wranglings with time and space, I do not have any Ukrainian in me. I am pretty much just a filthy Scot.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
What's in a name?
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2004, 01:31:22 pm »

I was thinking about this last night . . . (digression: yes, there I am, should be accomplishing things and thinking about the problems we, as a society, face, and I'm thinking about Slink's name) . . . and I feel that Tormad Slink Jadranko has to be a superhero, and his supervillain is R obot Octopus Hitler.

It took four times, but it works! God I hope the name is right.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2004, 02:23:34 pm »

Man, Tormad Grover Robson? (or possibly the other way around?)

With all due respect, man, that in and of itself is impressive as hell.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2004, 03:12:36 pm »

Quote from: V-Adore
Man, Tormad Grover Robson? (or possibly the other way around?)

Indeed. It was ****** ****** ******.
I mean, it's pretty, erm, monumental, but ****** is just far too plain a surname for the rest of it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:10:02 am by slink »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
What's in a name?
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2004, 04:45:42 pm »

Quote from: slink
Quote from: V-Adore
Man, Tormad Grover Robson? (or possibly the other way around?)

Indeed. It was ****** ****** ******.
I mean, it's pretty, erm, monumental, but Robson is just far too plain a surname for the rest of it.
Well, at least you had the initials GTR, in reference to that Steve Howe/Steve Hackett supergroup (ok, they weren't Cream, but still).

They had one album, and then put out a greatest hits . . . and it was live. That takes brass balls, people.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:10:22 am by slink »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2004, 05:10:39 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Well, at least you had the initials GTR, in reference to that Steve Howe/Steve Hackett supergroup (ok, they weren't Cream, but still).


I like the fact now that TSJ sounds like a sports car company, as opposed to GTR which to me sounded like a particular model of VW Golf.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2004, 05:40:16 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Robson is just far too plain a surname for the rest of it.


Not if you roll the R and pronounce it with a long O.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2004, 07:13:29 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "slink"
Robson is just far too plain a surname for the rest of it.


Not if you roll the R and pronounce it with a long O.

Then you'd just be too much like that Bucket woman on Keeping Up Appearances.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up