Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 15615 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2004, 09:11:09 pm »

I love the idea that even the first and last name with middle initial sounds awesome.  

Tormand S. Jadranko.  

What could be cooler?  Sounds less like a supervillain and more like the author of "500 ways to kill a man using only your bare hands and a comb."


When I changed my name after the wedding, it was a slight shock for the first month, 'til I got used to it.  Although having grown up with a Polish surname, I habitually spell my new, relatively common name.  It's like my name is actually "Jamie J-A-M as in Mary-I-E Dunston D-U-N-S-T-O-N."  

I'm just afraid of being Janie Dunstan, I suppose.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
What's in a name?
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2004, 09:34:04 pm »

I must always spell my last name, not because it is uncommon, but because everyone who hears it automatically assumes that it should be pluralized.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2004, 10:02:49 pm »

JL, does this mean the internet moratorium on your real name is no more?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2004, 10:16:44 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
JL, does this mean the internet moratorium on your real name is no more?


Nope, it just means you have to crank up the old doublethink whenever you see it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2004, 10:19:31 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I must always spell my last name, not because it is uncommon, but because everyone who hears it automatically assumes that it should be pluralized.

I have a simiarly problem. My last name is one letter off from a much more common one, so even when I spell it people assume that I really meant to spell the more common name.

I know a few people named Johnston who have a similar problem to a lesser degree.

And apparently Kyle causes a lot of problems for people who learned english as a 2nd language.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2004, 11:43:53 pm »

I spell my last name pretty much habitually, to the point that people on the forensics circuit in high school used to recognize it. Apparently this is because there is a far more anglicized, more common variation out there which people seem to think my name is.

I should really just go ahead and hunt them all down, ninja-style.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2004, 11:58:01 pm »

I still think "T. Slink Jadranko" sounds cooler than "Tormad S. Jadranko".
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2004, 12:33:08 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I still think "T. Slink Jadranko" sounds cooler than "Tormad S. Jadranko".


I'm sufficiently happy with both that I think I will use them in different places to different nefarious ends.
I think Dr. T. Slink Jadranko would make me some old, well to do inventor, who gets involved in various crime capers and is forced to get involved as a hybrid cybernetic professor who drives a Silver Shadow in a 30's metropolis of gothic proportions.
Tormad S. Jadranko for me comes across as the evil arch nemesis in a futuristic utopia/dystopia dichotomy, with his army of a million henchman willing to die at his very command, hellbent on the destruction of the global government to retain control and kill everyone who was ever mean to him at school.

I think I've left myself pretty open for choices, but I do have to get a PhD now just so I can be Dr. Jadranko.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2004, 03:34:10 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
JL, does this mean the internet moratorium on your real name is no more?


Look, JL is the closest thing I've ever had to a nickname*.  Don't take that away from me.  Or I might be forced to change my legal name to a set of initials, just to show you all.  

*My brother calls me Bumbleheaded Munchkin, but that doesn't count.  
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2004, 03:41:49 am »

Closest I've ever had is my monogram: "ecd." For a long while I forgot to respond to "Eric," and then I had to find a job.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2004, 03:56:58 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Look, JL is the closest thing I've ever had to a nickname*.  Don't take that away from me.  Or I might be forced to change my legal name to a set of initials, just to show you all.  

Outside of family nicknames and/or cutesy-poo abbreviations of my real first name, initials are about as close as it comes here, too. Admittedly, at this point I will answer to my initials being yelled out in public at me, but hey, it works.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2004, 05:50:33 am »

At work, since I'm the youngest person there, my nickname is "Sparky." However, I get my revenge; now, two of my co-workers are known as "Mom" and "Gramps."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's in a name?
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2004, 11:22:06 am »

Man.  I realized a long time ago I could never get a PhD. without changing my name.  
Yeah, it's worth revealing my surname for this.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2004, 11:43:46 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Man.  I realized a long time ago I could never get a PhD. without changing my name.  
Yeah, it's worth revealing my surname for this.


Not only would you be a doctor, but you'd be delicious too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2004, 04:08:10 pm »

It could be worse.  Instead of a soda, you could be gravy.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up