Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 15577 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2004, 07:05:09 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
!!!
Slink and his car win.


I met a woman tonight who has the same name as I.  Ladies and Gentlemen meet Paul and Paula McRae


She's a cool indy filmmaker who's first production, Baby will be released in June.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2004, 01:26:02 pm »

You two should get married.  You'd save on monograms and stationery.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
What's in a name?
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2004, 01:47:30 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
My name's as plain as plain gets. Sara Childs.


You obviously need to become a pediatrician.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2004, 02:20:32 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "Mite"
My name's as plain as plain gets. Sara Childs.


You obviously need to become a pediatrician.


Or a schoolteacher.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2004, 02:26:58 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I thought I also must make mention of this...
I just bought my car of someone who was called Farquharson.
Farquharson Inkster.
For as long as my car is around I get to remember it from the forms.

DUDE.

Yes, Slink and his car WIN FOREVER.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2004, 04:14:35 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
You two should get married.  You'd save on monograms and stationery.


Well I did immediatly fall in love with her, but sadly she's already married.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2004, 04:51:54 pm »

Just got back from my brother's where I got to at least reveal it to him and his girlfriend. They were surprisingly not so weirded out. My brother can be quite terse and impatient (he is great, don't get me wrong, hence I visit him fairly regularly to hang out and swap music and shit) and they were pretty cool about it.
I guess part of it was that they totally understood my reasons for doing so. I mean my brother got a similarly odd name out of the whole birth thing. Although he, in my opinion, got the better abbreviated everyday name, having being given a Polish name. He did get the worse tacked on first name to please the grandparents though.

I keep getting letters and yelling That's not my name!!.

I don't know what the chances of my brother remembering to call me Slink are though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
What's in a name?
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2004, 06:54:15 pm »

Slink, I guess I should take this time to tell you that I don't pronounce your name (in my head) as "Slink" as much as I always say it "S Link."

You see, I'm an audio geek and used to have component equipment in the 80s that you could control with a single remote by connecting the Sony "s-link" (Sony Link) cable between devices.

So whenever I see "slink" I always think of the sony s-link cable.

In other words, you're the cord that connects everything together.

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2004, 10:33:54 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.


If it didn't seemingly stop me holding myself together...
Well, if I have to be named after any piece of audio equipment Sony is one of the perferable ones. I mean, something from Marshall or Gibson would be cool, but Sony will do.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2004, 11:00:10 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
For one, now I feel okay with getting William Gibson to sign your copy of "Pattern Recognition" to "Slink"...because it's your real name now!


Oh, and yea. This is the only reason I changed it really. Just 'cause I was ashamed to have someone elses copy of it!

Nah, it's why I was really quite happy that you got it signed to Slink. Perfect!

Thanks again though, people keep threatening me with death for it.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2004, 02:26:43 am »

Now I'm dying to know your brother's name. Stanislaus? That can be abbreviated easily enough....
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's in a name?
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2004, 07:04:31 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That can be abbreviated easily enough....


Not quite such a normal name when abbreviated however.
No, his name is Kasimir, so he's always just called Kas. Of course, friends have always thought it to be Kaz, Cas or Caz. Usually anything but how it is, but then isn't that always the way!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
What's in a name?
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2004, 09:19:32 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
img.
~Paul

Dude, do you ever leave your house or have anything happen that you don't have a camera around?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's in a name?
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2004, 10:33:18 pm »

Kasimir is a stone awesome name. Your brother should be proud, honestly.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up