Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Ninja Debate  (Read 12320 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Great Ninja Debate
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:13:36 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I think if I were into endorsing this comic in shirt form, I'd end up going with I Am Ten Ninjas.  But really, my real life has sufficient sleazy-indie-kids-fascinated-with-*****s content that I rarely end up reading DS.

I'm seriously considering buying a friend of mine the "Nothing Is Any Good If Other People Like It" shirt, just because he actually is Indie Rock Pete in terms of his generalized tastes.

I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 02:43:40 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "andalucia"
I think if I were into endorsing this comic in shirt form, I'd end up going with I Am Ten Ninjas.  But really, my real life has sufficient sleazy-indie-kids-fascinated-with-*****s content that I rarely end up reading DS.

I'm seriously considering buying a friend of mine the "Nothing Is Any Good If Other People Like It" shirt, just because he actually is Indie Rock Pete in terms of his generalized tastes.

I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.

In principle I agree with you but Merriam-Webster says it's okay and Ninja Burger uses it at least once so I'm going to have to say rstevens done okay with this one.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 11:13:29 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.


Of course "ninjas" is a word.  You are speaking English, people.   "Tacos" is a word. "Pizzas" is a word. "Iguanas" is a word... Don't get me started.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 12:58:01 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
"Tacos" is a word.


If you put "taco" into Google's image search, there's a picture of me on the first page.

EDIT:  Well, it used to be on the first page; now it's coming up on the fourth or so.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 01:04:28 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.


Of course "ninjas" is a word.  You are speaking English, people.   "Tacos" is a word. "Pizzas" is a word. "Iguanas" is a word... Don't get me started.


now i want a t-shirt that says "i am the illegitimate child of 10 (ten) ninjas".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 02:22:18 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word. I would consider buying an "I Am Ten Ninja" shirt, though.


Of course "ninjas" is a word.  You are speaking English, people.   "Tacos" is a word. "Pizzas" is a word. "Iguanas" is a word... Don't get me started.

Yes, but if I failed to be pretentious for just one day, who knows what possible harm might be done to the world?!

You'll all thank me one day. Really.

In any event, the stickers are awesome, and I may buy one. LEGITIMATE
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 03:48:55 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word.


This brings up an interesting point.  There are actually a few different kind of adherents to Ninjitsu.  They semantically distinct only by pluralization.  A few examples:

Ninja - Deadly thieves and assassins.  Because they most often work alone, the plural form is the same as the singular.  "I saw two ninja arguing."
Ninjas - These are the ones that come in packs of fifty and fight American heroes usually one at a time.  "That heroic American just aced about a zillion ninjas."
Ninjae - These are the ones that can disguise themselves as anything.    "If your table is a ninja in disguise, chances are your chairs are also ninjae."
Ninjas's - This caste encompasses Ninja Turtles and unruly computer hackers with healthy fantasy lives.  "jOO were t0ta11y 0wn3d by th3 d34dly Ninjas's"
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 03:56:39 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Ninja


I would always tend to use ninja as the plural. There are two reasons, those being that to adhere to it's language you wouldn't put an s on the end to pluralise, and because I think ninja are so damn cool!
Ninjae just seems, wrong in every conceivable way, particularly since you are essentially melding Japanese and Latin.

But... yes...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pierced lemur

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 04:13:46 pm »

Speaking of ninja(s)(ae)(i)(whatever):

http://www.realultimatepower.net

Just in case you didn't know.
Logged
Many ladies wake to but single rose and and click of the closink door.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 04:20:03 pm »

Quote from: "pierced lemur"
Speaking of ninja(s)(ae)(i)(whatever):

http://www.realultimatepower.net

Just in case you didn't know.

Your ninjren totally kicked my computer right in the mouth. I'm not clicking on that again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 04:42:16 pm »

Man, all this talk about ninjaciousness is making me want to go watch The Hunted* again.


* The one with Christopher Lambert and John Lone, not that Tommy Lee Jones in-the-woods thing.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 04:46:40 pm »

Next week's debate: The use of fairy/fairie/faerie at Ren Faires.

And don't miss, in two weeks: can you say "nauseous" to mean "affected with nausea" or not.

Don't miss it!

Also, I now feel compelled to go read the first 5 or so issues of The Tick. "Move along, we are just a hedge."
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 04:48:11 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I object to "I Am Ten Ninjas" because we do not need to spread the myth that "ninjas" is in any way a legitimate word.


This brings up an interesting point.  There are actually a few different kind of adherents to Ninjitsu.  They semantically distinct only by pluralization.  A few examples:

Ninja - Deadly thieves and assassins.  Because they most often work alone, the plural form is the same as the singular.  "I saw two ninja arguing."
Ninjas - These are the ones that come in packs of fifty and fight American heroes usually one at a time.  "That heroic American just aced about a zillion ninjas."
Ninjae - These are the ones that can disguise themselves as anything.    "If your table is a ninja in disguise, chances are your chairs are also ninjae."
Ninjas's - This caste encompasses Ninja Turtles and unruly computer hackers with healthy fantasy lives.  "jOO were t0ta11y 0wn3d by th3 d34dly Ninjas's"

Pedro, I think I love you. In a strictly platonic sense, but the sentiment still holds.

I had not heard "ninjae" before, but it's classy for a non-world.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 05:37:10 pm »

Quote from: "pierced lemur"

http://www.realultimatepower.net

Just in case you didn't know.


Where's the bit about the ninja playing the guitar?  I can't find it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
The Great Ninja Debate
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 05:37:27 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
In principle I agree with you but Merriam-Webster says it's okay and Ninja Burger uses it at least once so I'm going to have to say rstevens done okay with this one.


On the other hand, the Ninja Burger RPG sourcebook states that any player using the word "ninjas" is immediately dishonored and must lop off one of his remaining fingers if any. The plot thickens! Or maybe not.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up