Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Poll

Would you prefer...

Banner Ads (468x60) For Cool Stuff
- 10 (47.6%)
A single Pop-Under every 12 hours.
- 1 (4.8%)
Donations Only.
- 10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: August 07, 2003, 04:35:58 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Advertising -vs- Donations  (Read 6902 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Advertising -vs- Donations
« on: August 07, 2003, 04:35:58 pm »

Let me know if you wouldn't mind a 468x60 px standard non-flashing banner ad at the top of the pages, a pop-under that wouldn't affect your reading of the pages, or if you'd prefer to keep the site ad-free and paid for by donations (of course, this would mean that people would have to donate every month).

I'm just trying to gauge how much people would or wouldn't mind a single banner ad OR pop-under.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 04:41:31 pm »

Well, while I'd preferr donations to an ad most of the time, it kinda depends what you could get ad's from I guess.
If they were genuinely cool ones that would be good, and it would be a more steady income for it.
But, I understand that at the moment I can't really say I'd preferr donations :S
I'm going to have to steal that card just so i can say that and not feel like, as guilty as Bush should.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 06:39:04 pm »

I think it would help if we had some ballpark idea of how much it costs to maintain this board, and if it's even a viable choice to keep it to a donation-only model (which is the best one).  If and only if donations haven't been keeping up, then ads are a good option.  Otherwise they're just annoying.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 07:01:29 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
I think it would help if we had some ballpark idea of how much it costs to maintain this board.


I won't really know until the end of the month, but traffic *has* slowed since the first two days, so we'll have to see how the August averages come out.

It was convenient that we started on August 1st.

-- Jough

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 07:05:00 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

It was convenient that we started on August 1st.


:shock: you planned this! You were in collusions with Onstad to bring the board down that day!
Damn sorry, I watched too much X-Files back in the day...
(when it was watchable you know)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 08:09:35 pm »

I copy the above sentiments. Donations-only would be excellent if costs and donations allow, but if not, banner ads (especially if they're, y'know, stuff we might actually buy) are reasonable.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 08:13:16 pm »

I've always found banners extremely ignorable.  Ergo, they do not bother me.  Donations would also be OK.  Please no pop-anythings.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Capn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 09:35:48 pm »

I was tempted to vote "pop-under" but only because I have a real grown-ups web browser that was made for my web-browsing enjoyment rather than for the convienence of every skeevy little webmaster who thinks their site needs 17 windows all as big as my screen.

BUT ENOUGH POLEMICS!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 03:05:55 am »

I like the donation idea because I'm all about giving back to the community and the little people who helped me get where I am today.

If the donations seem not to be getting it done, put up a banner and leave the donation deal active for extra help (and you can spend it on booze if you want).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 03:41:43 am »

1 vote, banners (standard size).

Contingent on your finding a per-impression banner service, of course.

Let me know the service and I'll remove its 127.0.0.1 pointer from my hosts file.

Not to say I won't donate, as I've just (last month) given money to brunchma and am considering retiring from their fora to spend more time here.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 03:43:31 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
. . . fora . . .


Nice!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 03:48:57 am »

I'm all about the proper pluralization of foreign words, man, especially those that have been so horribly mis-pluralized on the internet as a whole.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 05:40:42 am »

Oh Howie, You're so PROFESSIONAL!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Advertising -vs- Donations
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2003, 01:16:49 am »

So it looks like you made your choice.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
$
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 01:25:38 am »

Lay it out Jough, what’s the cost?
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up