The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: side_show on December 31, 2005, 05:50:16 pm

Title: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on December 31, 2005, 05:50:16 pm
Hi all,

So in the sorta-defunct book club thread I raised the idea of anyone who is interested in meeting in some chatroom somewhere, possibly while imbibing in alcoholic beverages. Why?  To talk about all things Achewood and hopefully embarrass ourselves.  I think it would be entertaining meet in this format, especially since some of us will probably never get to go to an Achecon.  It was raised that we would need to do this thing on a weekend so that any members in bizarro-land-time-zones can still come to the par-tay.  Certainly no one has to drink if they don't want to, but it would add to the fun if a few of us were getting lightly toasted, and I've recently had a large bottle of vodka mysteriously appear out of nowhere (seriously, I have no idea where it came from). 

Also, if anyone has preference as to where we could meet, please throw down your suggestions here!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on December 31, 2005, 07:00:21 pm
I am down.. so down... drunken chatting is a gift from the deities that reminds us to stay humble (When we later realize what we said).

Classically, IRC is where things like this should be handled.  I suspect Slashnet is easiest.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: V-Adore on December 31, 2005, 07:45:50 pm
IRC is almost certainly easiest, yes.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: jough on January 01, 2006, 12:00:01 am
I guess, but I'd like to do something on a server that won't be latent or down all the dang time.

AIM has a chat room feature that we used once before to have a chat with Onstad.  Maybe that's the way to go?

I guess I could find a copy of mIRC somewhere, but isn't IRC like gopher, use(less)net, and telnet BBSs now?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: robot_roll_call on January 01, 2006, 01:26:14 am

AIM has a chat room feature that we used once before to have a chat with Onstad.


How did that go?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Golfhaus on January 01, 2006, 01:40:32 am
I guess I could find a copy of mIRC somewhere, but isn't IRC like gopher, use(less)net, and telnet BBSs now?

But that's part of the CHARM. There are flashier (and probably Flash-ier) options available, but nothing beats the scrolling smackdown of IRC chat rooms. Nothing, I tell you!

It still has its uses - IRC is my primary means of... ahem... melodic entertainment binary files.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2006, 03:29:56 am
Is this happening or what?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: sjlimmer on January 01, 2006, 07:45:44 pm
Given that I rarely have anything useful to add to this forum as it stands, I can't imagine that I'd be any more loquacious in a real-time chat.  But if I can use it as an excuse to drink, I might drop in.....
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: pmcd9 on January 01, 2006, 10:03:59 pm
Given that I rarely have anything useful to add to this forum as it stands...

Perish the thought.

~Paul
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Ben-San on January 02, 2006, 01:06:18 am
I like IRC.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Golfhaus on January 02, 2006, 11:14:07 pm
I'll be the first to name my timing desires for a drunken chat - I work early mornings, so the nights that are best for me are the ones before days off - this week, that will be Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday night. After the 9th, they will be Friday and Saturday night.

I am in the Eastern time zone (knowing what time it is for most who will join in will probably be helpful).
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: yu-huang on January 02, 2006, 11:28:13 pm
I'm game, even though I'm not that talky (but then again, the plan is to get tanked to the uvula, so - please don't ban me!). I can join in, according to my post's timestamp, from 10 pm onwards pretty much everyday until the middle of this month. What's it gonna be again? Mirc? Jesus, I'm so unfunnily old.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 03, 2006, 01:15:01 am
I am a central standard time zone gal.  I am good for any time between 2:00 PM and a 11:00 PM start time, and would prefer a Friday night or weekend if at all possible.  I am not technically aware enough to dictated where we meet, just tell me where to go and what to do, and I'll be there.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 06, 2006, 09:04:22 pm
Since no one else is taking the ball and running, I will make a room, probably tonight on Slashnet for IRC, and it will be called #TOUAMB.  I will probably create it later in the evening (around 8-ish CST).  I will leave it open all weekend (even if I am NOT THERE, it is like magic what I do for you people.) so it's like you know, an open house.

If you need instructions please shoot me a message.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2006, 09:31:57 pm
Since no one else is taking the ball and running, I will make a room, probably tonight on Slashnet for IRC, and it will be called #TOUAMB.  I will probably create it later in the evening (around 8-ish CST).  I will leave it open all weekend (even if I am NOT THERE, it is like magic what I do for you people.) so it's like you know, an open house.

If you need instructions please shoot me a message.

What ports does Slashnet run on? My college has inexplicably blocked 6667 and 7000, so if Slashnet doesn't run there, I may have to sit out. Weep, sob, divers alarums & excursions, etc.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 06, 2006, 09:35:05 pm
All IRC utilizes 6667 as a standard, HOWEVER, we can work around this.  I'm about to leave work but I'll shoot you a PM with some test info.

Edit: Okay, not all... MOST (before someone goes all Pat on me and points out DALnet uses port 7000) :P
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 06, 2006, 09:39:03 pm
Um, wouldn't it be better to post instructions here?  For, like, the people who never get around to PMing you, and the ones who don't want to admit they might show up, and, well, you know.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 06, 2006, 09:39:46 pm
Okay, I will also do that... WHEN I GET HOME.


The things I do for the love of you wonderful people.  :P
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 06, 2006, 11:26:08 pm
IRC for those of you who do not know.

Windows Users


Go here (http://www.mirc.com/get.html) (it's not the best client I think, but it's the easiest) and download it from one of the servers that are close to you.  (It doesn't really matter which one).

Install and just say okay on the prompts, you can always remove the proggy later if you're worried about security holes and whatnot.  (Which there won't be if you're not on the program but I'm getting beyond what we're talking about here).

Okay, the program will open right after install, just hit continue.

The next screen is your info screen.  I would suggest not entering your real full name or email but that's me, pick a nickname and an alternative (in case your 1st choice is taken).

On the left you'll see some menu options, select server on the left, a new interface will open on the right.  Drop down the first menu and select Slashnet.  Hit OK.

Then hit the little Lightning bolt icon on the upper left of the program window and it will connect.  On the bar type /join #touamb, and it will take you to our room.  Yay! 

Linux Users


Come on, if you're running any of the *nix OS's you should already know this, just move on.

Mac Users


I haven't worked with Macs in some time, but I understand this (http://www.ircle.com/) is where it's at.  I can't give you a play by play on it but I can provide advice if you get stuck, shoot me a message.


We're all about education.


Also the room is up,  I'm not here because I"m about to start dinner and whatnot, but feel free to hang out, I'll be off and on till later.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: jough on January 07, 2006, 12:02:25 am
I'm logged in, and will remain so, but I won't be back online until after 11PM EST because I will be watching sci-fi tv and eating sauteed giraffe and vegetables.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 07, 2006, 01:42:26 am
I'm in there but no one is talking. Comon!! I'm impatient and get cranky easily!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: V-Adore on January 07, 2006, 01:51:34 am
Looks like it's not connecting. Sorry, sports, but you'll all just have to live without my scintillating wit.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2006, 03:47:50 am
Um, anyone planning to be on tomorrow evening?  My technical staff, security division, forbade me to download any new software and says I have to use the perfectly good IRC that comes with Mozilla. He then left me to go skiing and isn't here to help.  I got as far as being told to choose a nickname, which was already taken - the nerve! - but it is making it complicated to start over and pick a new nickname.  And it wants an email address to send an activation code to, and I need to ask the technical staff which of my disposable addresses still work.  Yes, I am a helpless female.  I swear, in the old days I ran labs where I was the only one who knew how to use the computer, but these newfangled devices....  Anyway, I have to go to work tomorrow so I can't really stay up any longer arguing with it.

Technology.  Damn kids, get off my lawn.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 07, 2006, 03:53:22 am
I'm leaving it up all weekend, and if enough people stick around, possibly just keeping it up... so yes.  If you need some assistance tomorrow just lemme know. :)
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: AugustWest on January 07, 2006, 04:16:42 am
We've got a good group going, but we need more folks.

I'm looking at you Paul.  And AD.  And Smells.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 07, 2006, 04:47:09 am
Um, anyone planning to be on tomorrow evening?  My technical staff, security division, forbade me to download any new software and says I have to use the perfectly good IRC that comes with Mozilla. He then left me to go skiing and isn't here to help.  I got as far as being told to choose a nickname, which was already taken - the nerve! - but it is making it complicated to start over and pick a new nickname.  And it wants an email address to send an activation code to, and I need to ask the technical staff which of my disposable addresses still work.  Yes, I am a helpless female.  I swear, in the old days I ran labs where I was the only one who knew how to use the computer, but these newfangled devices....  Anyway, I have to go to work tomorrow so I can't really stay up any longer arguing with it.

Technology.  Damn kids, get off my lawn.

I'm not sure that there's an IRC client that comes with Mozilla, but there is one *for* Mozilla here: http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/chatzilla/ (scroll down to the bottom right and click on install) You may need to enable popups on that page to install it...it's just a plugin. Then restart your browser, go here:   http://www.slashnet.org/servers/ click on a server, then type /join #touamb in the bar as mentioned above
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Choop on January 07, 2006, 05:34:28 am
The pre-approved Firefox installation site for the same .xpi extension installer of ChatZilla is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=16&application=firefox - so you don't have to update preferences or anything. It's what I use for IRC (when I do IRC).
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: yu-huang on January 07, 2006, 02:22:26 pm
I'm there at the mo, but no one is talking to me. For shame, people. For shame.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 07, 2006, 02:31:29 pm
I'm there at the mo, but no one is talking to me. For shame, people. For shame.

it is because you lack the doctor peppers necessary to considered more than 3/5 of a human being
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 07, 2006, 03:15:47 pm
I'm there at the mo, but no one is talking to me. For shame, people. For shame.

...or because it's 9:00 in the morning and things seem to hop later in the evening.

*      . . . . o o o o o
*                   _____      o           _______
*    ___ ====  ]OO|_n_n__][.    |  lamer |
*   [________]_|__|________)<  |  ville   |
*    oo    oo  'oo OOOO-| oo\\_   ~~~|~~~
*+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+-$1-+--+--+--+--+


OH FOR THE SAKE OF FUCK I MADE IT BACKWARDS!!!!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: yu-huang on January 07, 2006, 04:25:24 pm
it is because you lack the doctor peppers necessary to considered more than 3/5 of a human being

Then I guess I'll just... wait... until I have the necessary amount of... Dr Peppers, yes, that's it. So I can be... considered human. Yes, I see it now (irrepressible laughter). Yes.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2006, 04:36:35 pm
I'd consider a pardon and offer you a tiny can, but I'd need to be reminded of what you did to get yourself into such a hole to begin with.

~Paul
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: yu-huang on January 07, 2006, 04:45:00 pm
I'd consider a pardon and offer you a tiny can, but I'd need to be reminded of what you did to get yourself into such a hole to begin with.

~Paul

Thanks, but really, no need to fret over such a non-issue.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 07, 2006, 04:51:08 pm
I am there right now myself, but in the list of co-horts on line, I see only myself listed.  Is something wrong, or did you boys log off?

It is a little early.  I'm all for chatting tonight though.

Cheers to mister, for setting this all up btw.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: jough on January 07, 2006, 04:59:59 pm
Smells, we're totally there right now.

Slashnet.  Room #touamb

Seriously.  We're there.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2006, 05:08:42 pm
Dang it people I am at work and you are having fun without me.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: yu-huang on January 07, 2006, 05:11:00 pm
Cheers to mister, for setting this all up btw.

Seconded.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 07, 2006, 05:28:08 pm
Smells, we're totally there right now.

Slashnet.  Room #touamb

Seriously.  We're there.

But, but, I'm there too  it says "now talking in #touamb" and if I change the channel and switch back it take me right back to an empty room with just my "hello, anyone in here?" posts,  The user list just shows me alone.  WTF?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: jough on January 07, 2006, 05:32:39 pm
Try: irc.slashnet.org
Port: 6667

Yeah.

Maybe you're on a different slashnet?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 07, 2006, 06:03:33 pm
God damn it, if I try to connect through irc.slashnet.org, port 6667, I get an errormessage and the IRC screen shows "Uanble to connect to server (software caused connection abort)

So many abortions...
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 07, 2006, 06:06:08 pm
If you're having trouble you can always try this. (http://www.slashnet.org/java.php)

It worked for V last night when her port was blocked.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2006, 10:31:50 pm
I might be there now, but no one else is?  Or else it's not really working.

Well, I guess I'll go have dinner all by myself then.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2006, 12:47:45 am
I didn't see you on there, and I am on there right now, did you name yourself something other than wombat?  I see a lemmer on the list, but no wombat.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 12:53:41 am
I am wombatsgalore.  So what do I do if I think I'm on and I'm not?  I am very bewildered.

Damn technology, get off my lawn already.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 08, 2006, 12:59:32 am
I am wombatsgalore.  So what do I do if I think I'm on and I'm not?  I am very bewildered.

Damn technology, get off my lawn already.

Did you follow Misterqueue's instructions step-by-step?  I tried, it didn't work, and then I went back and followed them to the fuck*ng t.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 01:09:32 am
I didn't use those instructions (see my earlier post about not being permitted to download new software when there's a perfectly good mIRC with Mozilla.)  I am now trying that web-based one that worked for V, above.

Dang, why can't we just all get on the messageboard at once and send lots of messages that way?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 08, 2006, 01:21:21 am
Oh, OK.  I was thinking that maybe the guy got back from skiing with a change of heart (or whatever).

Good luck!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 01:49:40 am
After heartrending long distance pleading I was permiited to download the software on the more easily reconstructable computer.

But IT STILL ISN"T WORKING.  Unless everyone has gone away again and I'm really the only one there.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2006, 02:25:25 am
No, I'm just staying on and there are several people listed as on-line, even if they're away from their puters.

That sucks.

Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 08, 2006, 03:46:18 am
Woah.. what in the now?  I just got in.. we need wombat presence.  What is the trouble oh womby one?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 12:23:32 pm
I had to go to bed so I could get up and go to work.

In both the Mozilla program and the one I downloaded per your instructions, it looked like it worked, but obviously I was in some big echoy empty room where someone had hastily scrawled 'toumb' on a scrap of paper and stuck it on the door over the sign that said what that room really was.   In the web-based one they made me register a nickname and then when I tried to log in, I kept getting a message that said that I wasn't recognized and that if I'd just registered it might take a few minutes...  which it kept saying for about an hour.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: V-Adore on January 08, 2006, 06:12:12 pm
Sorry I wasn't on last night; I was at a friend's birthday party into the wee hours of the night. Mea culpa.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2006, 06:28:40 pm
I had a wonderful time last night, but I think it's fair to say we've officially had the TOUAMB Lost Weekend.  Lots of fun, I hope you're all still alive (Misterqueue?  Jough?), and thank you for helping to finally give this board a legitimate reason to ban the word #####.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2006, 06:29:38 pm
the fuck*ng t is the important part.

~Paul
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 08, 2006, 06:45:05 pm
I am indeed alive as is Jough, since he was just chatting on-chan a second ago.

I appologize for being #####_come_off last night... well not appologize, more like am amused by...

Anyway wombat, I'm not sure why it isn't working.  What was the exact error it gave you?  If you have any other chatty program somewhere I can walk you through things REAL TIME if you like.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2006, 06:47:49 pm
The question on everyone's lips last night: Where's AlohaDawg? Who the hell are Lemmer and Neuro? and Will Paul be dropping by?

Also, V & Wombat, you were greatly missed.  The men also hoped for appearances buy Hobot and Bea.  Those boys.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: jough on January 08, 2006, 07:49:54 pm
Smells, it's not like you weren't enough woman for us - just that you get ten drunken guys and one girl and well, the attention tends to get divided one way.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 07:50:04 pm
but I think it's fair to say we've officially had the TOUAMB Lost Weekend. 

Damn and I missed it.  I don't suppose there's a transcript?  [pathetic](I used to read the transcripts of the Wigu chat room but was too shy to go on it except once.)[/pathetic]

I'll probably mess with the program again tonight, I was pretty tired by the time I was downloading the right one.  I'll try not to cry.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: jough on January 08, 2006, 07:50:57 pm
There damn well better NOT be transcripts, or some of us are going to prison.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2006, 07:53:07 pm
and Will Paul be dropping by?

I dropped by for a while on Friday.  Last night my friends threw me a SURPRISE Birthday/Going Away party (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/GAP/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10680-E-1024.jpg).

~Paul
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: V-Adore on January 08, 2006, 08:56:10 pm
I dropped by for a while on Friday.  Last night my friends threw me a SURPRISE Birthday/Going Away party (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/GAP/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10680-E-1024.jpg).

~Paul

The beard's an interesting look, I gotta say.

So... are we going to keep this up nightly? Or weekend-ly? Or what?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2006, 09:06:59 pm
Yes, hooray for bearded glory!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 08, 2006, 09:58:52 pm
The question on everyone's lips last night: Where's AlohaDawg? Who the hell are Lemmer and Neuro? and Will Paul be dropping by?

Also, V & Wombat, you were greatly missed.  The men also hoped for appearances buy Hobot and Bea.  Those boys.

Oh for fuck's sake!  Poor Lemmer told us like 50 times who s/he was.  I don't remember either.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 08, 2006, 10:53:18 pm
I'm leaving the room open indefinitely for now.. just drop by whenever.  :)

Lemmer is Mudokon (I'm sorry if I misspelled that)
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 08, 2006, 10:55:25 pm
Is there a general time for this? I'm like 5 hours behind you.

Also I'm trying to use the Mozilla extension but it always wants me to create a room called # TOUAMB. I've never found an existing room with this name.

Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 11:45:41 pm
I am now in the chat room!  And on the messageboard at the same time.  DAMN  I am high tech.  You kids, dance on the lawn!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 08, 2006, 11:50:36 pm
Is there a general time for this? I'm like 5 hours behind you.

Also I'm trying to use the Mozilla extension but it always wants me to create a room called # TOUAMB. I've never found an existing room with this name.



You just pop in and see what's crackin', but generally it's busiest at night.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 09, 2006, 12:55:10 am
Is there a general time for this? I'm like 5 hours behind you.

Also I'm trying to use the Mozilla extension but it always wants me to create a room called # TOUAMB. I've never found an existing room with this name.




Anyone having issues try this. (http://www.slashnet.org/java.php)  It has helped us in 2 jams!  (And 4 preserves)
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Lister on January 09, 2006, 10:47:52 am
Hooray!  I located an IRC client installer I had downloaded, found my old configuration scripts, remembered enough to be able to add slashnet's servers, logged on, registered my nick, and spammed the room of idlers!

Now I just have to remember to connect when there are people there...
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Roger on January 09, 2006, 10:25:59 pm
Anybody recommends another IRC client for pansy-assed Mac users like me? I tried joining the party saturday night with Ircle but that interface scared the cbgb's outta me. What's the opposite of user-friendly?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 09, 2006, 11:10:26 pm
Anybody recommends another IRC client for pansy-assed Mac users like me? I tried joining the party saturday night with Ircle but that interface scared the cbgb's outta me. What's the opposite of user-friendly?

If you use OSX, there's this (http://www.snak.com/Snak.html), haven't used it but it states that it's more user friendly than Ircle.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Roger on January 09, 2006, 11:50:45 pm
Much better! Thanks!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 14, 2006, 01:41:03 am
Just to let you know, the room is still up and going, so if anyone's bored this weekend I'll be in at out at least.  But don't come for just me, come for the free ice cream sandwiches.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2006, 01:53:27 am
I'm coming for the milk and cheese.

~Paul
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 14, 2006, 04:57:48 am
Just to let you know, the room is still up and going, so if anyone's bored this weekend I'll be in at out at least.  But don't come for just me, come for the free ice cream sandwiches.

Oh, you're such a tease.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 14, 2006, 11:28:41 am
Sorry miles, they were really good sandwiches and they got all eaten up.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on January 15, 2006, 05:14:20 am
from a very drunken office party I say hello, folks!


So very drunk.


so very drunk.....
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2006, 07:07:48 am
Hello to you my dear!  We had two couples over tonight and played games.

Fun fun! 
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 16, 2006, 03:58:40 am
Bobby can you give us a link to some info on this #####***** fellow?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 17, 2006, 05:44:14 pm
Bobby can you give us a link to some info on this ******##### fellow?

You seem genuinely enamored by him. You are genuinely a perl script's friend.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 17, 2006, 06:32:38 pm
I had a nice chat with it last night:

<#####*****> Miles.
<miles> #####*****: it was a long and arduous journey, but i finally have a stout in my hand
<#####*****> In a good.
<miles> well, not at that moment, because I was typing, but, you know
<miles> #####*****: stout is good with homemade alder smoked beef jerky
<#####*****> Homemade smoker, leaving the placenta and see.
<miles> #####*****: it's also OK with Triscuits topped with Easy Cheese Cheddar Pasteurized Cheese Snack
<#####*****> Also sometimes soap on sale.
<isosceles> easy cheese cheddar pasteurized cheese snack?
<miles> and soap on sale
<miles> Beamish gives Guiness a run for the money
<Hobo_Frenzy> #####*****, beer
<#####*****> Beer that slowly.
<miles> that works, somehow
<miles> Beer me slowly, #####*****.  ever so slowly.
<miles> #####*****: which stout is better? beamish or guiness?
<#####*****> Is that pretty standard, wtf.
<miles> #####*****: yes, it's an OK question to ask.
<#####*****> An animal masks during mating dances.
<miles> I know that Bobby taught it that
<miles> #####*****: Hobo_Frenzy
<*****_roll_call> heh
<#####*****> Still on the dr pepper for the bot pick up though.
<miles> #####*****: *****_roll_call
<#####*****> Holding onto this at home every twenty years ago.
<*****_roll_call> profound
<miles> #####*****: what is the most profound thing?
<#####*****> The messageboard.
<miles> WOOOOOOO
<*****_roll_call> wonderful
<miles> #####*****: what is the saddest thing?
<#####*****> Is always perfect.
<miles> shut the fuck up Vlad
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on January 17, 2006, 06:35:52 pm
Oh fuck... we're down that already?  Posting logs?


Seriously, do not make me post logs of miles comments that you may not like sharing.  I have them and I will do it!



(Incidentally I like #####***** because it actually responds when the rest of your bastards are all sitting idle)
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2006, 08:11:56 pm
Can the chat room be like Vegas? What happens there stays there? Especially if people are split in there....
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: miles on January 17, 2006, 08:14:09 pm
I totally agree, for the most part.  I just that it was rad that it declared The Messageboard as the most profound thing.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: arkabee on January 27, 2006, 10:44:30 pm
My college has inexplicably blocked 6667 and 7000

inexplicably?

most colleges, while they suck at it, DO attempt to have their students graduate.

anyone remember the version of the gopher client for Mac that was "VR"?

damn that was like all cool like you were in the Hackers movie only instead of it being real time
someone just kept advancving the paused DVD one frame at a time.

one.  frame.  at.  a.  time.

anyone ever use gopher for anything besides getting swimsuit pictures off of Italian college servers?

Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: sjlimmer on January 28, 2006, 12:26:52 am

anyone ever use gopher for anything besides getting swimsuit pictures off of Italian college servers?



Yeah, song lyrics, guitar tabs, and drink recipes.

Was that wrong?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: arkabee on January 28, 2006, 04:05:24 am
Yeah, song lyrics, guitar tabs, and drink recipes.

Was that wrong?

i think it was called "Turbo Gopher VR".

i think.

man, Macs sure use to to not suck.

sure use to not suck.

italian swimsuit models.

drinking and playing guitar.

macs sure use to not suck.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: V-Adore on January 28, 2006, 10:15:02 pm
inexplicably?

most colleges, while they suck at it, DO attempt to have their students graduate.

Well, uh, they don't block World of Warcraft, so I'm assuming it's not a "time-wasting" motive... (I could rant at great length about college ethernet-policing, but it's not 100% necessary.)

The stated reason, I believe, was "file-sharing," which was extra-inane because they did not do and have never done anything against torrenting. Honestly, who the hell uses IRC as a file-share anymore?
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on July 01, 2006, 04:01:20 am
Thread resurrection!

Hey folks, I'm officially unemployed for the summer!  Is it time for another IRC party?!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on July 01, 2006, 11:22:08 am
Man, the party is ALWAYS happening on IRC!  (Actually lately it's been kind of dead but I think this is just a little my fault)

Pick a time and I will be there with balls on...


BELLS!  I mean bells..  I will be there with bells on!
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2006, 01:21:40 pm
Actually lately I can't get on.  It tells me my name is banned and then it tells me I'm trying to reconnect too fast.  It says to change my name and connect again, but I don't know how to change my name if I'm not connected.

But if someone can help, I'll be there.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: misterqueue on July 01, 2006, 04:01:34 pm
That's a problem with the server and you I suspect.  I will endeavour to help you in a bit of a while.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2006, 06:13:42 pm
Well apparently I managed to change my name, but the server STILL hates me.  I don't know what I did.  Things used to be just dandy between me and the server.  And it says it doesn't like my 'real name' but it doesn't know my real name.  I'm bewildered.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: theinevitable on July 01, 2006, 07:12:18 pm
depending on your IRC client, there are various places where you have to put your "real name." For instance, I believe my "Real Name" is my email address, or something.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2006, 07:29:03 pm
I found a couple of boxes which had kinds of names in them and tried changing them, but it did nothing. 

I guess I might really have to get a life now.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: linnea on July 02, 2006, 03:20:57 am
Yarrr, bitches! IRC is rad. I'm there.

Also, today I worked my ASS off to help with our Fourth of July fireworks display. They flew in a professional to do our fireworks display, but they're an older couple and we only have a couple of volunteers. So I'm hoping that the damn setup doesn't take all day tomorrow, too.

Last year I just drank a lot and enjoyed a bonfire with my friends, but this year I've got to pay my firefighter dues and stand watch in the rig in case something bad happens. And I'm helping with the grueling setup.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2006, 12:57:48 pm
Last night it worked. This morning it doesn't, again. I hate computers.
Title: Re: Ache-y Chat
Post by: side_show on July 03, 2006, 03:31:52 am
Yarr, have fun wit yer fireworks!

As I have no time constraints it is basically up to everyone else to name the time, and I'll be there, bitches.