The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on January 05, 2006, 09:35:03 am

Title: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: MattFish on January 05, 2006, 09:35:03 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01052006

This is fun. This is fun. Fun that was this.

I like this strip, but I'm scared, of the costume, and also that the baby (gub!) will be a common sight. Until now the baby has been sort of an unseen legend.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: misterqueue on January 05, 2006, 11:38:05 am
Ancient Shenanigan and Ancient Situation BOTH?  Someone is obsessed I tell you.

And yes, children's programming is repetive; huzzah!
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Golfhaus on January 05, 2006, 01:07:15 pm
We were told this was NOT going to become a comic strip about a baby.

That being said, I liked it. There's something pleasing about Onstad paying someone to entertain his kid so he can go drink whiskey. It means I'm not the only one.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Null on January 05, 2006, 01:16:57 pm
I would have thought the title for this thread should be "gub."
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: V-Adore on January 05, 2006, 01:34:53 pm
Okay, so where's the Anigif of Teodor's Teletubby dance?

C'mon, I can't be the only one who was thinking about it.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2006, 01:52:29 pm
I can't decide if touching his nose was actually a pre-arranged signal or if Teodor is just riffing here. I'm thinking the latter. I'd also like to think that in panel 3 he was doing the Running Man.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 05, 2006, 02:58:22 pm
Teletubbies suck.  Onstad should pay Teodor to dress as Dora the Explorer, with Philippe as Boots the Monkey.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: jough on January 05, 2006, 03:19:34 pm
Soon the comic will be about the baby, and there will be "Alive Stuffed Animal updates" at the bottom instead of baby updates.

How long until the baby gets her own blog?

"Daddy drank a lot then shook me to make me stop crying today."
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 05, 2006, 03:34:23 pm
Teletubbies suck.  Onstad should pay Teodor to dress as Dora the Explorer, with Philippe as Boots the Monkey.

<roast beef>

when i was young we didn't have much money nope we didn't have much money at all. gramma K couldn't afford any barney the dinosaur stuff so she took old grimace dolls out of three dollar happy meals and told us that barney was disfigured because he had the sass to go tromping around creeks

it was hell of disappointing when i found the truth ten years later, but i guess it was a good thing because we saved money on kids toys that showbiz woulda just destroyed anyway

</roast beef>
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: jough on January 05, 2006, 03:36:40 pm
Fanfic, Bobby?  Has your life sunken this low already?

Do you want to talk about it?

You're among friends here.  It's okay.  The first step is admitting you have a PROBLEM.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Doc on January 05, 2006, 04:10:18 pm
This strip was wonderful, as were the last few. I haven't checked in in like a week so of course Onstad would go and pull out all the stops.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: LCB on January 05, 2006, 04:17:44 pm
Oh please. Onstad can do strips and material involving the baby if he wants to so long as it's in this amusing context and not all "OH LOOK AT THE BABY, BOY COPING WITH THEM SURE CAN HECTIC! HA HA!""
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: yu-huang on January 05, 2006, 04:20:39 pm
Me, I'm really enjoying going to Achewood day after day and finding a new strip there. You're spoiling me big time, Onstad...
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: MattFish on January 05, 2006, 04:37:06 pm
This board is being a dick about the size this shows up at. (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/teotubby.gif)

I tried real hard.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: cellardoor on January 05, 2006, 04:54:22 pm
A can of the good stuff for Mattgiraffe.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2006, 05:09:46 pm
and there will be "Alive Stuffed Animal updates"

Oh, now I really want this.  If only we could get it without a comic about a baby.

Also, nice picture of a giraffe, Matt.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: V-Adore on January 05, 2006, 05:17:26 pm
This board is being a dick about the size this shows up at. (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/teotubby.gif)

I tried real hard.

Delightful. You, sir, are getting a tiny can of Dr Pepper, especially for the "gub!"
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 05, 2006, 05:29:06 pm
Every time a halfway decent TV show introduces a baby.....




Hey, is that the Fonz? What's in that water?
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: jough on January 05, 2006, 06:18:07 pm
Me, I'm really enjoying going to Achewood day after day and finding a new strip there. You're spoiling me big time, Onstad...

I think he got some on your face, there, sport.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: yu-huang on January 05, 2006, 06:30:13 pm
I think he got some on your face, there, sport.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this particular bit of vernacular. And maybe I just don't want to be, really.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Golfhaus on January 05, 2006, 06:41:37 pm
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this particular bit of vernacular. And maybe I just don't want to be, really.

Yeah, that's about right.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Hobot on January 05, 2006, 06:48:05 pm
Drinking whiskey and "staring catatonically at your own baby pictures" is The Saddest Thing.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: jough on January 05, 2006, 07:17:55 pm
Drinking whiskey and "staring catatonically at your own baby pictures" is The Saddest Thing.
 

Double true.  He can pine for the potential he had.  Just so damn much potential squandered.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Hobot on January 05, 2006, 07:33:23 pm
I guess I can sympathise with Onstad, though; I can't even look at baby pictures of myself without wanting to cry.  The photographs remind me how much closer I am to death.

I think this might not be healthy.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Roger on January 05, 2006, 07:39:51 pm
Onstad's dressed like such a... dad.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2006, 07:41:24 pm
I guess I can sympathise with Onstad, though; I can't even look at baby pictures of myself without wanting to cry.  The photographs remind me how much closer I am to death.

I think this might not be healthy.

You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older. And now you're even older.

DAMMIT!
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: acoxcae on January 05, 2006, 08:28:05 pm
Double true.

If this is a reference to the "Chronicles of Narnia Rap," which you should have all seen by now, then full points to you for awesomeness.  If not, then 3/4 points for mentioning it of your own creation around the peak of its culturally significant partner.

Anyway, this is a good strip - Teodor dancing, the idea of Chris just being totally awash in cheap whiskey and getting all misty-eyed about his lost childhood, his baby saying "Gub," it's all there.

And I would be OK with inclusion of the baby from time to time.  Seeing interactions with humans is always good, expecially if they're non-communicative humans, which I imagine are sort of a mystery to the animals.  I would especially like to see Lyle's reaction when the baby is bathing in HIS DAMN SINK.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2006, 08:52:43 pm
And now you're older still.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: V-Adore on January 05, 2006, 09:16:59 pm
This day will soon be at an end, and now it's even sooner... and now it's even sooner... and now it's even sooner...

AAAARGH
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: jough on January 05, 2006, 09:18:31 pm
If this is a reference to the "Chronicles of Narnia Rap," which you should have all seen by now, then full points to you for awesomeness.

Yeah, I've added "Double true" and "Baker's Dozen" to my regular repertoire of pseudo-hipsterisms lately.

I haven't really had occasion to use "snack attack mutha fucka" yet, though.

Soon...

Oh, and Slate has an article (http://www.slate.com/id/2133316/) about the song, which I think is pretty spot-on.

I saw it while it was on (the rest of the show was lame - not even Jack Black could bring the funny) and I thought it wasn't a good parody of a rap song - I thought it was a good rap song that reminded me of early Beasties stuff. 
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: robot_god on January 05, 2006, 09:45:03 pm
God damnit, GOD DAMNIT, people.

Well... I guess it's good to know that know that newly made parents still stare into the face of the devil, because I don't have the balls to ask my own parents.  Who wants to get tattoos?

It is funny that Teodor is wearing the Tinky Winky costume.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Roger on January 05, 2006, 10:14:29 pm
It is funny that Teodor is wearing the Tinky Winky costume.

Right after having a dream where he's taken for a gay bear. I see.
But where's the handbag?
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 05, 2006, 11:01:00 pm
This day will soon be at an end, and now it's even sooner... and now it's even sooner... and now it's even sooner...

AAAARGH

Some days I like to get drunk with a fifth of Ancient Situation and start shouting "So Zeno, think you're TOUGH SHIT huh? Well how about some of THIS!" and then walk across the room, making obscene gestures and shouting "In your FACE Zeno! In your fucking FACE!"
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: AugustWest on January 05, 2006, 11:44:46 pm
"Anigif"?  That's a word now?  I'm thinking of taking away your neologism license, V.  Or at least putting it on probation.

Anybody else think the baby looks a lot like Harold from Harold and the Purple Crayon?
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Simms on January 05, 2006, 11:49:59 pm
Is it just me or does the baby somewhat resemble a very young Ritchie Rich?
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2006, 12:46:02 am
"Anigif"?  That's a word now?  I'm thinking of taking away your neologism license, V.  Or at least putting it on probation.

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't come up with it. (http://www.google.com/search?q=anigif)

Quote
Anybody else think the baby looks a lot like Harold from Harold and the Purple Crayon?

She definitely is drawn in a sort of retro-baby style, isn't she? I think it's the one-piece.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: MattFish on January 06, 2006, 01:36:28 am
She definitely is drawn in a sort of retro-baby style, isn't she? I think it's the one-piece.

All memorable animated/cartoon babies are drawn this way. It is just how the world works.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Bozack on January 06, 2006, 01:48:26 am
"So Zeno, think you're TOUGH SHIT huh? Well how about some of THIS!" and then walk across the room, making obscene gestures and shouting "In your FACE Zeno! In your fucking FACE!"

I'm drunk, and I thought you wrote "Zemo," as in "Baron Zemo."
Wow. Somebody kill me.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: starlight on January 06, 2006, 03:22:38 am
Yeah, I've added "Double true" and "Baker's Dozen" to my regular repertoire of pseudo-hipsterisms lately.

I haven't really had occasion to use "snack attack mutha fucka" yet, though.

Soon...

Oh, and Slate has an article (http://www.slate.com/id/2133316/) about the song, which I think is pretty spot-on.

I saw it while it was on (the rest of the show was lame - not even Jack Black could bring the funny) and I thought it wasn't a good parody of a rap song - I thought it was a good rap song that reminded me of early Beasties stuff. 


Aha!
I missed SNL lately and suddenly I see all this strange talk spreading around the net (in my Dreamhost newsletter last) and thought it was just some weird ghetto nonsense that had no basis.

Now my eyes have been opened and I've found the video of this skit... the Patrick Swayze bit was the funniest... google being second best.

---

As for the strip.... I have noticed Onstad appearing in the strip way more often than he used to.. I feel I must brace myself for him and the  baby taking center stage while the other characters do their bidding 24/7 soon enough :|

If these strips only happen every so often, I'll find them great though.  Teletubbies!  hah!
A++ animated!
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: birkensocks on January 06, 2006, 04:12:57 am
Oh, and Slate has an article (http://www.slate.com/id/2133316/) about the song, which I think is pretty spot-on.
haha oh man that is spot on
the chronicles of naria skit is, at this very moment, saving hip hop from itself
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Null on January 06, 2006, 04:42:55 am
All memorable animated/cartoon babies are drawn this way. It is just how the world works.

I like how the baby seems to have an antenna.  Perhaps the baby is Bluetooth enabled.  The way breast implants will be.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2005/10/25/breast-implants-and-bluetooth-technology/
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: jough on January 06, 2006, 05:11:10 am
Null, I don't know whether to give or take away a Dr Pepper for that last post, so I did both.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: mudokon on January 06, 2006, 07:45:53 am
Seeing as how the baby's back is turned to the reader the entire time, I thought it closely resembled the little faceless baby from Leviathan (http://www.leviathan.co.uk/science/science01.html).
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: side_show on January 06, 2006, 08:52:19 am
I agree with everyone that the appearance of the baby is worrysome.  Please don't make it a strip about the baby.  Please?  But the way Onstad drew the baby is so painfully cute to me.  I like that he kept her facing away from the viewer.  ...I was going to say "I'm glad we never see any human faces in the strip," but then I remembered the terrifying face of the hull (a la Red Meat), the head of Johnny Cash, and the BAM! cooking guy (whose name I can't remember right now), and I find myself envisioning the baby having a jarringly disturbing face like that.  In my imagination it's the face of the girl in The Exorcist, with spinning head action just like the movie, crossed with a little Trainspotting... yeah, if the baby had to have a face, I could handle it if it were a crazy, wacky face like that.  As long as the baby is really far removed from reality, really terrifyingly disconnected from the "awe shucks" life, I can deal.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: The Achewood Guy on January 06, 2006, 09:16:59 am
why does the baby have antennae

could this be the beginning of an exciting new subplot
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Doc on January 06, 2006, 01:12:05 pm
I remembered the terrifying face of the hull (a la Red Meat), the head of Johnny Cash, and the BAM! cooking guy

I think we are safe here since the people we have seen in achewood are celebrities and therefore not really real, (well the hull face wasn't actually a person at all so that's ok too) they end up being characitures (how in the hell do you spell that word?) which would be too weird to do for someone you know.
Of course now tomorrow's strip is probably just going to be the baby's face stone cold glaring at us.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Golfhaus on January 06, 2006, 01:30:50 pm
"Caricature," boss.

And am I the only one that finds it ironic that we're learning about what's wrong with rap from a Slate article? Do they have any shred of jurisprudence in this matter?
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Emergent_C on January 06, 2006, 03:28:52 pm
yeah, if the baby had to have a face, I could handle it if it were a crazy, wacky face like that.  As long as the baby is really far removed from reality, really terrifyingly disconnected from the "awe shucks" life, I can deal.

Maybe she's the baby from Eraserhead? She doesn't seem to have any legs, after all.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: side_show on January 06, 2006, 03:50:14 pm
Ah the Eraserhead baby.  On an Eraserhead documentary I saw a while ago, some of the cast talked about how that baby puppet, which was made by Lynch himself, stank more and more each day of shooting, and Lynch himself has admitted that the placenta's falling form the sky in the Radiator Lady segments were indeed actual medical wastel placenta and after birth.  He talked about how he had a friend who worked for a hospital but also works for his films.  Jack Nance talked about how the odour of the baby made acting repulsed real, real easy in that documentary too.  Also in the same documentary, I learned that the woman who played the baby's mother is also the woman who became the Log Lady in Twin Peaks.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: Null on January 06, 2006, 08:25:39 pm
Ah the Eraserhead baby.  On an Eraserhead documentary I saw a while ago, some of the cast talked about how that baby puppet, which was made by Lynch himself, stank more and more each day of shooting, and Lynch himself has admitted that the placenta's falling form the sky in the Radiator Lady segments were indeed actual medical wastel placenta and after birth.  He talked about how he had a friend who worked for a hospital but also works for his films.  Jack Nance talked about how the odour of the baby made acting repulsed real, real easy in that documentary too.  Also in the same documentary, I learned that the woman who played the baby's mother is also the woman who became the Log Lady in Twin Peaks.

Actually, the Eraserhead baby's mother (Charlotte Stewart) went on to play Bobby's mother in Twin Peaks.   She wasn't in the show a whole lot.   Catherine Coulson played the log lady and she wasn't actually in Eraserhead, but she did production work behind the camera.

I'm not trying to be Pat.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: wombat on January 06, 2006, 08:35:55 pm
From our friend Lileks.com's Bleat today:

Quote
Now the weekend – tomorrow is another vacation day for Gnat, with Target and piano and pizza and a nice glass of Ancient Shenanigan.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2006, 10:08:16 pm
Wow, I thought that everybody had given up on the Bleat. Way to keep us updated, Wombat.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: AugustWest on January 06, 2006, 10:49:39 pm
Wow, I thought that everybody had given up on the Bleat. Way to keep us updated, Wombat.

Nah, I still read it most days.  I do appreciate that he's separated out his puerile political views.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2006, 10:56:46 pm
Nah, I still read it most days.  I do appreciate that he's separated out his puerile political views.

Wow, he has? Maybe now I should pick it up again.
Title: Re: 1-5-06: Ancient Shenanigan
Post by: side_show on January 07, 2006, 05:21:47 pm
Actually, the Eraserhead baby's mother (Charlotte Stewart) went on to play Bobby's mother in Twin Peaks.   She wasn't in the show a whole lot.   Catherine Coulson played the log lady and she wasn't actually in Eraserhead, but she did production work behind the camera.

I'm not trying to be Pat.

Oh, you know, when I wast posting it, I kind of thought, should I look this up?  But I am lazy, so thank you.  Did you see the documentary I was talking about?  Do you know what it's called?  I think I stumbled upon it on some upper cable channel.