The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: starlight on January 22, 2006, 06:31:44 am

Title: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 22, 2006, 06:31:44 am
Hi, I uploaded a mix I made today for the yoga class my mom teaches and decided since I knew some people liked my musical taste, I'd post the result here as well. :)

(If this is too egocentric of me, let me know and I can delete it; just felt like sharing is all)

Breathe It In
Yoga Mix Vol.3


01. Okkervil River - No Key No Plan (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/01_Okkervil_River-No_Key_No_Plan.mp3)
02. The National - 90-Mile Water Wall (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/02_The_National-90-Mile_Water_Wall.mp3)
03. Antony & The Johnsons - River of Sorrow (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/03_Antonyandthejohnsons-River_of_Sorrow.mp3)
04. Built to Spill - Car (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/04_Built_to_Spill-Car.mp3)
05. Howling Bells - The Night Is Young (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/05_Howling_Bells-The_Night_Is_Young.mp3)
06. Emiliana Torrini - Next Time Around (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/06_Emiliana_Torrini-Next_Time_Around.mp3)
07. Wilco - Theologians (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/07_Wilco-Theologians.mp3)
08. Wolf Parade - Modern World (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/08_Wolf_Parade-Modern_World.mp3)
09. John Lennon - Oh Yoko (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/09_John_Lennon-Oh_Yoko.mp3)
10. The Appleseed Cast - Sunlit Ascending (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/10_The_Appleseed_Cast-Sunlit_Ascending.mp3)
11. The Tears - Apollo 13 (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/11_The_Tears-Apollo_13.mp3)
12. Ester Drang - Grave Mistake (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/12_Ester_Drang-Grave_Mistake.mp3)
13. Arab Strap - Don't Ask Me To Dance (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/13_Arab_Strap-Dont_Ask_Me_To_Dance.mp3)
14. Cocteau Twins - The Itchy Glowbo Blow (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/14_Cocteau_Twins-The_Itchy_Glowbo_Blow.mp3)
15. James Blunt - You're Beautiful (Clean Version) (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/15_James_Blunt-You_Are_Beautiful_(Clean_Version).mp3)
16. Vashti Bunyan - Here Before (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/16_Vashti_Bunyan-Here_Before.mp3)
17. Steve Ross - Hara Hara Shankara (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/17_Steve_Ross-Hara_Hara_Shankara.mp3)
18. Tortoise & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Calvary Cross (Richard Thompson) (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/18_Tortoiseandbonnieprincebilly-The_Calvary_Cross.mp3)
19. Santana - Just Feel Better (Feat. Steven Tyler) (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/19_Santana-Just_Feel_Better_(Feat_Steven_Tyler).mp3)
20. My Morning Jacket - Dondante (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/breathe/20_My_Morning_Jacket-Dondante.mp3)

I didn't choose tracks 15, 17 or 19.  mom wanted them on there.  I still found a way to make them sound pleasing flow-wise I think.  almost all songs have been edited to take out the pauses. track 11 is by former london suede if it sounds familiar to you.

If any files don't work, let me know.  I did have friends test them, but I could run over my bandwidth.

Edit track 18 has been fixed.  the file name was too long and wasn't showing up right.  funny the friends I had test it didn't mention this!  heh.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AugustWest on January 22, 2006, 06:36:44 am
How wonderful to see you.  Please don't be such a stranger. 

And try to keep Paul in Texas.  He belongs there.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 22, 2006, 06:42:25 am
Thanks AW!

Yeah, I check everyday, but I don't always have something to say... I'll try to speak up more :D
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AugustWest on January 22, 2006, 06:46:50 am
Good lord, if we all waited until we had something to say nothing would ever get posted.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 22, 2006, 06:52:32 am
True.
I'm glad all y'all continue to speak up since I'm entertained reading it all.
Lately I've been a bit shy even in other areas of the web, so I'll try to step it up even if I think you guys are way more witty than I. ;)
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on January 22, 2006, 07:33:10 am
Thanks for sharing.  I actually have a great number of these tracks already, but I will grab a few that I'd like to check out.  This is actually a really cool way to offer up a "mix tape" for people - I have uploaded tracks for people to grab before, but ever afeared of the RIAA I've always made them hidden and secret.

Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 22, 2006, 08:20:58 am
Yeah, I semi-fear the RIAA at times, but mostly, I don't offer up non-indie bands and when I do, it's only one track (there are tons of mp3 blogs out there now, so it seems more safe; I've only heard of a few of those blogs getting asked to take a song down).
I'm more careful if people want full length albums.

I mentioned downloading one particular album on my lj / offered up mp3s recently and someone who worked on the band's website found me through google; all they asked was if I was going to buy it when it came out.. ahah.  I think most bands encourage downloading as long as they're supported in some way.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on January 22, 2006, 03:06:05 pm
Wow, so that Tortoise/Bonne 'Prince' Billy track is fantastic.  As a fan of both bands, I'm excited for that album to come out, but am also a bit wary.  But that track's great.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: misterqueue on January 22, 2006, 04:23:36 pm
Thank you for the tracks.  Some of these I haven't heard before and they were delicious.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Roger on January 22, 2006, 05:00:55 pm
Wow that's a great selection. Okkervil River is the best thing I heard in 2005.
Thanks and congrats.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2006, 06:34:08 pm
Overkill River opened for The Decemberist last year, but I arrived late and missed them.  Everyone was talking about how great they were.  Looks like they are starting to take off now.  Shoot!

I did take  a picture of the drummer's drivers license (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/OKR/DSCN3935-E-1024.jpg).

Here he is with the drummer from The Decemberist (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/OKR/DSCN3936-E-1024.jpg).

~Paul



Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 22, 2006, 07:23:29 pm
miles - I've heard the whole thing.  unfortunately, that was one of the better tracks.  some were funny, some were rather crazy / noisy, but yeah.. not completely listenable.  this one and a couple others were the only ones close to their usual style.  I'll prob. still buy it this coming week...

pmcd9 - a picture for everything, eh? ;)
I did hear they came to Houston in November last, but I, too got into them late.  I didn't get the album till xmas and didn't know how great they were till I downloaded tracks I found on top album lists.  it would've definitely gotten on mine if I had.. heh.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Roger on January 23, 2006, 08:13:19 pm
Speaking of mix tapes, or whatever this is called in the 21st century, I just got this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789311992/sr=1-1/qid=1138045484/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5549570-7202501?%5Fencoding=UTF8) through the mail. It's a great collection of testimonies (organized by Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth) from artists, musicians and assorted folks about their relationship with the mix tapes they made and received throughout their lives. It's sure to speak deeply to anyone who spent many an hour doing maths with track times in order to best fill two sides of a 60 min tape.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 23, 2006, 08:30:28 pm
It's sure to speak deeply to anyone who spent many an hour doing maths with track times in order to best fill two sides of a 60 min tape.

Hee!
I used to do this back before I had a cd burner... it was a bit satisfying in the end (I'm a bit OCD sometimes.. ahah), but yeah, I do like the ease of the mix cd now :D

(I sometimes bought the 120min tapes though)
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on January 24, 2006, 12:49:12 am
God, I still have a pack of Maxell 90 minuters.  The switch to CDs was so abrupt that I never got to finish off the last pack.  I became so anal about the tapes I bought.  Never anything more than 90 minutes.  Never.  And, you're right.  It was so satisfying to get the timing just right.  I still get a bit of that satisfaction with making CDs, but not nearly as much.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2006, 02:30:31 am
I mentioned downloading one particular album on my lj / offered up mp3s recently and someone who worked on the band's website found me through google; all they asked was if I was going to buy it when it came out.. ahah.  I think most bands encourage downloading as long as they're supported in some way.

Can I just pop in here for a moment and remind everyone that if bands don't get money for their music, they can't make any more music?  This is not a really a modern computer technology thing so I am not being an old fart telling you kids to get off the lawn -- it's exactly like years ago when I knew a guy whose whole record collection was cassette tapes of things he'd borrowed from people.  (He thought it was clever. As a semiprofessional musician and friend of musicians at the time,  I thought he was going to Hell.)  It is one thing to pass around single tracks that might encourage people to go out and buy someone's album but surely we should not be giving away whole albums on our websites?

I admit I am little extreme on this - I even have a personal rule (although the rule does have some exceptions and codicils) against buying used books written by living authors.  But you know, an awful lot of people who make our entertainment are still waiting tables to make a living.  If we give their work away, so they decide they can't afford to make more, all we're going to have left is what the major corporations want us to have.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 24, 2006, 02:39:18 am
surely we should not be giving away whole albums on our websites?

Mmm.. no, I agree with you there.
I try not to do that and if I do / if it's in advance, before the album comes out, I put it up for a limited amount of time.  I only still have one album on my site I haven't deleted yet.

I also must note that I own at least 400 real albums; I enjoy the packaging / art.. it's a bit of an obsession of mine.

Yes, I download music, but it's mostly to sample.  I keep a list of ones I still need to buy.  I'm not rich, but I do try to buy what I can.

Also, I've heard bands / artists get more from shows / merchandise sold at the shows than they do from album sales.  I won't argue that point though.  just tossing it out since I had heard.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2006, 02:54:02 am
I agree with Wombat in principle, one shouldn't steal music.  But in todays world, downloading is the modern equivilant of the radio.  If somebody tells you about something new, don't hold your breath waiting for the radio station to play it.  Download it, if you like it, buy it.  Sure there is abuse of this system and there should be a better way (I-Tunes and others encoding an expiration date on their paid downloads sure ain't it), but in my experience the ones who download the most are also the biggest customers of the music industry.  Starlight and myself and probably many others on this board are a perfect example of this.

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2006, 03:10:46 am
I hope you are right, Paul.  But people who ought to know better don't always, you know?  Another story:  When my friend's first book came out, she got an email from an aquaintance telling her how much he had liked it and oh, he'd been lucky enough to find a used copy at half price even though the book was brand new.  She was so flabbergasted that she didn't even say anything to him about it.  He was an educated guy but he obviously had no clue that A, she didn't get any money for that copy, and B, whether she ever got to publish a second book would depend in large part on how many NEW copies of her first book were sold. (So that C - for pete's sake at least don't brag about the great deal you got to the author!)  I think sometimes people look at a shiny new book or CD and forget that most people who make art are just getting by.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 24, 2006, 03:17:08 am
There is one easy way I've seen -- streaming.
Some bands put up their new album in full to hear before it comes out, but not all have caught on to this.

Wombat - As for the book thing; well, I always buy my books new; I get a bit skeeved by old copies.  I have known people close enough to me who have made books and I always support them by buying it when it comes out then pimp it.  I have done it for my music friends, too (though one personally gave me a free copy of their album).

I agree about the support thing fully.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2006, 03:19:01 am
I hope you are right, Paul.  But people who ought to know better don't always, you know?  Another story:  When my friend's first book came out, she got an email from an aquaintance telling her how much he had liked it and oh, he'd been lucky enough to find a used copy at half price even though the book was brand new.  She was so flabbergasted that she didn't even say anything to him about it.  He was an educated guy but he obviously had no clue that A, she didn't get any money for that copy, and B, whether she ever got to publish a second book would depend in large part on how many NEW copies of her first book were sold. (So that C - for pete's sake at least don't brag about the great deal you got to the author!)  I think sometimes people look at a shiny new book or CD and forget that most people who make art are just getting by.

I disagree with the idea that a book should be read only by one person and then discarded.  While it may be a bit crass to brag to the author that you found a deal on their book, it's certainly not wrong to buy a used book.

~Paul

Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on January 24, 2006, 03:23:00 am
I disagree with the idea that a book should be read only by one person and then discarded.  While it may be a bit crass to brag to the author that you found a deal on their book, it's certainly not wrong to buy a used book.

~Paul



I partially agree with you, too Paul...
My own reasons for buying new shouldn't be held up by everyone.  I'm happy if people are just reading.  I was shocked to know of some people I know who don't like to read at all.

I have bought used albums if I want them bad enough and it's out of print.. can't explain why one is acceptable to me and one is not.  I'm weird.  heh.

(though one used book I got ages ago on eBay had a bit of dried food on one of the pages; perhaps that's a big reason I stopped with the used books.. heh)
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 24, 2006, 04:27:52 am
It's an interesting subject. Once the original book/album is paid for, what does the owner own? Do I have the right to give away or sell my property (i.e. the book or album)?

What about used cars? Furniture? Property? What portion of the rights to these things does the creator of them own...and how is that different, really, from words or music, which aren't even physical? And how do you assign value to an idea...or depreciate/appreciate it's value in the marketplace of ideas?

Just interested in the discussion here. I do buy used books and music. I believe the original purchase of the item satisfies the rightful need of the creator of the book or music to be compensated. Indeed, if I like it well enough to go out and buy other titles brand new, it could be argued that the author/musician owes the person who sold it to me a 'promotional fee'. Or me, if I recommend the book.

I think it's a fair use thing - as long as the content is not commandeered for commercial profit, I think the resale of the physical items is OK.

However, do not EVER buy a book that the cover has been torn off of. This often means it was unsold in the bookstore and the author did not get any compensation or credit for that copy.

 
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: idiomsavant on January 24, 2006, 04:40:55 am
I hope you are right, Paul.  But people who ought to know better don't always, you know?  Another story:  When my friend's first book came out, she got an email from an aquaintance telling her how much he had liked it and oh, he'd been lucky enough to find a used copy at half price even though the book was brand new.  She was so flabbergasted that she didn't even say anything to him about it.  He was an educated guy but he obviously had no clue that A, she didn't get any money for that copy, and B, whether she ever got to publish a second book would depend in large part on how many NEW copies of her first book were sold. (So that C - for pete's sake at least don't brag about the great deal you got to the author!)  I think sometimes people look at a shiny new book or CD and forget that most people who make art are just getting by.
Not to mention: D, the author got to hear that one person who did buy the book new got rid of it as soon as possible at the used bookstore.  (Unless the book wasn't purchased new at all initially but E, stolen, which happens sometimes -- shoplifters try to pass off recently-heisted merchandise at secondhand bookstores.)  What hard-working writer wouldn't love to get a compliment like that?
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on January 24, 2006, 05:15:04 am
It's an interesting subject. Once the original book/album is paid for, what does the owner own? Do I have the right to give away or sell my property (i.e. the book or album)?

It really is an interesting subject.  Where's our Third Year Law Student?

There's also the related question of ... portability ... ?  Is that the word?  Whether you have the right to transfer the information on the CD (or whatever) you own to any format?
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AugustWest on January 24, 2006, 05:22:19 am
I am not an intellectual property lawyer.  But I am a lawyer.

My take on this subject is that this is an area of the law that is very much in flux.  The law hasn't caught up with the world yet.

Eventually it will happen and in painful detail.  But the wheels of the law grind slow, but exceedingly small.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: CortJstr on January 24, 2006, 01:56:17 pm
As we've said in other threads there's a huge push from the *AA's and such to "reeducate" consumers to the fact that just because we own a CD, DVD, or book doesn't mean we have any implied rights as to the content. There was a story (I think in Wired) a couple years ago where they do basically want to ban second hand stores because we as consumers only have the right to transfer or resell the medium and not the work it contains. Which sounds absolutely insane to me because it means I can only give somebody I book I read if I somehow find a way to not also give them the words printed in it.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2006, 02:22:24 pm
It's an interesting subject. Once the original book/album is paid for, what does the owner own? Do I have the right to give away or sell my property (i.e. the book or album)?

I think that "rights" is a separate question.  I am more interested in thinking about the consequences of our actions.  I have a right to go to Starbucks, but if that means that my much better local coffee shop goes out of business, I'm not going to be happy.  I have a right to buy a used book, but if that means my favorite author can't get her next book published or my favorite band breaks up... I'm just saying, be concious of it.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 24, 2006, 06:15:25 pm
As we've said in other threads there's a huge push from the *AA's and such to "reeducate" consumers to the fact that just because we own a CD, DVD, or book doesn't mean we have any implied rights as to the content. There was a story (I think in Wired) a couple years ago where they do basically want to ban second hand stores because we as consumers only have the right to transfer or resell the medium and not the work it contains. Which sounds absolutely insane to me because it means I can only give somebody I book I read if I somehow find a way to not also give them the words printed in it.

As if college isn't expensive enough. Eventually you'll be paying for textbooks by the word. And everything will be electronic. All publishing will become underground publishing. The future looks kind of grim.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on March 08, 2006, 08:53:53 am
*bump*

I've made a new mix!  no, it's not yoga related, but!  hell, this should just be the thread where I post my random mixes:

Monsters
01. Injured Teddy (clip) (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/01_Injured_Teddy.mp3)
02. Duplex - Desolate State (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/02_Duplex-Desolate_state.mp3)
03. Hot Chip - Barbarian (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/03_Hot_Chip-Barbarian.mp3)
04. The Futureheads - Hounds of Love (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/04_The_Futureheads-Hounds_of_Love.mp3)
05. Two Gallants - Steady Rollin' (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/05_Two_Gallants-Steady_Rollin.mp3)
06. Band of hosss - Monsters (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/06_Band_of_hosss-Monsters.mp3)
07. Buck 65 - Blood of a Young Wolf (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/07_Buck_65-Blood_Of_A_Young_Wolf.mp3)
08. Neko Case - The Needle Has Landed (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/08_Neko_Case-The_Needle_Has_Landed.mp3)
09. Mountains - Bay (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/09_Mountains-Bay.mp3)
10. Ms. John Soda - Outlined View (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/10_Ms_John_Soda-Outlined_View.mp3)
11. Devics - Just One Breath (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/11_Devics-Just_One_Breath.mp3)
12. Guitar - Red & White (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/12_Guitar-Red_and_White.mp3)
13. Drowsy - Bed of Pyre & Wood (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/13_Drowsy-Bed_of_Pyre_and_Wood.mp3)
14. Calexico - Letter To Bowie Knife (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/14_Calexico-Letter_To_Bowie_Knife.mp3)
15. Mountaineer - Sleep and Me (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/15_Mountaineer-Sleep_And_Me.mp3)
16. The National - Karen (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/16_The_National-Karen.mp3)
17. Centro-Matic - Triggers and Trash Heaps (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/17_Centro-Matic-Triggers_And_Trash_Heaps.mp3)
18. I'm Not a Gun - Continuous Sky (http://sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/monsters/18_Im_Not_a_Gun-Continuous_Sky.mp3)

Also, a slight warning... this mix?  a bit more eclectic than the last + a few of the songs are at the wrong volume or just plain distorted if at too high of a level.. it still sounds pretty equal on a tinny laptop.. just not on headphones / disc.

I could've went into my editing program, but it got tiresome.. I did add fade ins/outs on a lot of them though.  that beginning clip I made based on a dare.. it's from a video on google.. I just recorded the ending line and added an echo / crossfaded it with an electro song I had real quick-like.

Feel free to ignore if the horror is too much to handle.. heh!
-hides at the bottom of my old thread-

ETA:  erm.. track 6 came out hosses yet it's H-O-R-S-E-S, so make sure to fix that link when dling that one... dunno how to fix it :|
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on March 08, 2006, 12:48:32 pm
Have you seen Band of hosss?  They will be here Saturday, but I have to make a decision between that and something else going on.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2006, 04:52:38 pm
Have you seen Band of hosss?  They will be here Saturday, but I have to make a decision between that and something else going on.

Dude you gotta help me out here.  I don't know Band of Hosses, but I don't want to find myself at that 38 Special show thinking 'this is as good as it gets here.'

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on March 08, 2006, 08:37:03 pm
I found out about them when I read an article about new Seattle bands at the end of last year.
Really, what enticed me was that an old member of the former band Carissa's Wierd was in the band.. even if the  band sounds nothing like that band.

Also, where will they be?
I doubt I'll be able to make SXSW even if I wanted to.. really for Hot Chip.. they probably will never come to Houston.. ahah.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Hobot on March 08, 2006, 11:29:13 pm
I found out about them when I read an article about new Seattle bands at the end of last year.
Really, what enticed me was that an old member of the former band Carissa's Wierd was in the band.. even if the  band sounds nothing like that band.

Carissa's Wierd is no more?  Is this a recent thing, or am I terribly uninformed?
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on March 09, 2006, 12:17:59 am
Carissa's Wierd is no more?  Is this a recent thing, or am I terribly uninformed?

They broke up in 2003 or around there... unless they got back together.  I figure not though.
All I know is that I was disappointed I decided against seeing them that particular summer.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on March 09, 2006, 01:06:38 am
I found out about them when I read an article about new Seattle bands at the end of last year.
Really, what enticed me was that an old member of the former band Carissa's Wierd was in the band.. even if the  band sounds nothing like that band.

Also, where will they be?
I doubt I'll be able to make SXSW even if I wanted to.. really for Hot Chip.. they probably will never come to Houston.. ahah.

I live in Salt Lake.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on March 09, 2006, 01:07:50 am
Dude you gotta help me out here.  I don't know Band of Hosses, but I don't want to find myself at that 38 Special show thinking 'this is as good as it gets here.'

Whoa, that's in St. George.  How close is that to you?  I've seen some excellent shows in the Salt Lake area, but this year's been a little dry so far.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 09, 2006, 01:58:02 pm
Whoa, that's in St. George.  How close is that to you?

Gosh I don't even know.  I'm living in Price.  I don't listen to the radio, but my i-pod was dead one evening a couple of days ago and my antenna was pushed in so the only station I could get was playing some really god awful c&w crapola.  But in 30 minutes of listening I heard them advertise this show (which is like 6 weeks away) 3 times.  I thought my god are they this desperate for entertainment up here?  I got a little bit scared.

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2006, 07:10:20 am
Paul, I will come and rescue you if I have to. And I will come and get Miles if necessary, but I am sort of persona non grata in Utah, so the less time spent there the better.

[size=05pt]Why is this? My family are movers and shakers in the Mormon Church.[/size]
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on March 10, 2006, 01:08:35 pm
Why is this? My family are movers and shakers in the Mormon Church.

Oh, did we already know this?  My mom's side of the family is Utah Mormons.  We are practically related!

I wish we could all meet up with Paul there and raise a ruckus. A wild caffeine drinking rumpus!
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: acoxcae on March 10, 2006, 01:58:40 pm
Why is this? My family are movers and shakers in the Mormon Church.

I thought both moving and shaking were heavily frowned upon by the Mormon church.  Shows what I know, I guess,
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: sjlimmer on March 10, 2006, 03:11:32 pm
Oh, did we already know this?  My mom's side of the family is Utah Mormons.  We are practically related!

I wish we could all meet up with Paul there and raise a ruckus. A wild caffeine drinking rumpus!

What the hell, I haven't been back that way for a few years.  Low alcohol beer for us all!
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on March 10, 2006, 04:25:52 pm
I thought both moving and shaking were heavily frowned upon by the Mormon church.  Shows what I know, I guess,

Well, that's why he's persona non grata there.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 08:38:59 pm
Awright gawdam party at my place.  I'll buy the stakes (I guess I better buy the grill too).  Hell I'll even buy some of that good ol' 3.2 beer.  But there ain't no law says you can't bring some good stuff from elsewhere.  Well actually there probably is, but fuck that shit.  Bring it and wear your headphones while you're doing it.

~Paul

Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on March 11, 2006, 03:38:04 am
YES!

What's the liquor store situation like down there, Paul?

I have a long lineage of Utah Mormons on both sides.  I'm talking hell of polygamy.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Nabubrush on March 11, 2006, 08:57:16 pm
Awright gawdam party at my place.  I'll buy the stakes

You've adapted to that religious intolerance thing a lot quicker than I thought you would.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 13, 2006, 02:41:34 pm
YES!

What's the liquor store situation like down there, Paul?

I have a long lineage of Utah Mormons on both sides.  I'm talking hell of polygamy.

I've come to discover that Price is the Badlands.  Anything goes down here.  Someone told me that at one time Carbon county tried to secede from Utah.  So yeah, we got liquor stores on every corner.  We have 10 year old boys selling it on street corners (along with the cigarettes and uh, caffenated soda).  But mostly they just take it home to their prostitute mothers and crank dealing fathers.

Seriously though, I don't drink, but alcohol is readily available here.

~Paul 
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2006, 03:22:57 pm
Thank goodness!
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on March 14, 2006, 04:37:43 am
Seriously though, I don't drink, but alcohol is readily available here.

Well, in that case, I owe you two sodas.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2006, 04:46:30 pm
You've adapted to that religious intolerance thing a lot quicker than I thought you would.

I just got it.  LOL

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2006, 04:51:31 pm
I finally got around to listening to this thing.  I've been hearing the odd track in my shuffle, but only now for the first time have I listened to it in its entirety as a complete album.  I must say, pretty damn good.  It has a great flow.  Amber, you make the bestest mixtapes.  I am definitely becoming fans of some of these bands.  D'ya wanna do it again?  Please!!!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on March 31, 2006, 05:26:41 pm
I must say, pretty damn good. Amber, you...the bestest...  D'ya wanna do it again?  Please!!!!!

Damn, Paul, you shouldn't have to beg like that.  SHE should be begging YOU. 

Man, wait in line for a big steaming bowl of dignity.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on March 31, 2006, 05:54:56 pm
Damn, Paul, you shouldn't have to beg like that.  SHE should be begging YOU. 

Man, wait in line for a big steaming bowl of dignity.


Sometimes dignity stands between me and my goals.  Sometimes I have to shoulder dignity aside.

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on March 31, 2006, 07:40:20 pm
Hey Paul,

I notice that you too are losing cans of Dr Pepper fast.

I have put that "keep track of who is giving and taking away cans from whom" thing in effect, and while I've been countermanding one user's can-taking (by adding a can instead of removing one every time they try to remove cans from someone) I'll have to check to see if anyone else is just being a bitch with the system.

ALSO: Is rampant de-TCoDP taking a bannable offence?
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Hobot on March 31, 2006, 08:24:43 pm
Hey Paul,

I notice that you too are losing cans of Dr Pepper fast.

I have put that "keep track of who is giving and taking away cans from whom" thing in effect, and while I've been countermanding one user's can-taking (by adding a can instead of removing one every time they try to remove cans from someone) I'll have to check to see if anyone else is just being a bitch with the system.

ALSO: Is rampant de-TCoDP taking a bannable offence?

If it seems unwarranted and arbitrary, and continues for more than a week or two, perhaps so.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on March 31, 2006, 08:31:40 pm

I have put that "keep track of who is giving and taking away cans from whom" thing in effect, and while I've been countermanding one user's can-taking (by adding a can instead of removing one every time they try to remove cans from someone) I'll have to check to see if anyone else is just being a bitch with the system.

ALSO: Is rampant de-TCoDP taking a bannable offence?


I think that's a question for the mods board. BUT, if you are really making it automatic that every time said person tries to take a can, it adds one instead - isn't messing with their mind so much more fun than banning?
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: misterqueue on March 31, 2006, 08:51:06 pm
If possible on a consistent crap dude have can removal effect their own account instead of the target's account next.

I fully support this idea.  Asherdan, you are a goddamned genius my friend.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: CortJstr on March 31, 2006, 08:54:47 pm
Hey Paul,

I notice that you too are losing cans of Dr Pepper fast.

I have put that "keep track of who is giving and taking away cans from whom" thing in effect, and while I've been countermanding one user's can-taking (by adding a can instead of removing one every time they try to remove cans from someone) I'll have to check to see if anyone else is just being a bitch with the system.

ALSO: Is rampant de-TCoDP taking a bannable offence?


As soon as I read this I reached for the Giveth button. But then I thought, "am I giving Jough a can because this is a funny idea, or because now I know he's watching?"
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: V-Adore on March 31, 2006, 09:16:44 pm
Okay, I give up: jough, how can we track this? As a can-obsessive and a admin yet to use the full and terrible range of my power, I am interested in tracking and in implementing Operation Canned Karma to start fuck*ng with people. I may not be God's Own Dick, but I sure as Hell can be his protege.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on March 31, 2006, 09:20:02 pm
Well, I'm only watching the sweeping numbers of one member giving or taking many cans from another member.

For instance, I tend to give Cort or Wombat a can whenever I think of it - at least one or two a day.  But some others, man, to see who has it out for whom is just fuck*ng COMICAL.

And yes, with this data I can retroactively add or remove cans to any account in any combination.  I may make the script do things like stop someone from being able to affect karma, or maybe stop someone from being able to post or read the board for a day or something.

The sky's the limit.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: V-Adore on March 31, 2006, 09:22:48 pm
For instance, I tend to give Cort or Wombat a can whenever I think of it - at least one or two a day.  But some others, man, to see who has it out for whom is just fuck*ng COMICAL.

I have to ask: is there actually someone out there being as much of an anorak as possible about this? Some guy (or girl, I dunno) sitting near the computer 24/7, waiting for the hour to roll around so they can SUBTRACT ANOTHER CAN from their nemesis, ahahahahaha, you all laughed at me at the Academy but who's laughing NOW!?-style? If so, I'll laugh. And then maybe cry.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: CortJstr on March 31, 2006, 09:55:52 pm
I'm not in the "these cans are TEARING US APART!" camp but I do think they've definitely added an interesting and entertaining dynamic to our little circle jerk.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Ben-San on March 31, 2006, 10:19:48 pm
Every time I see this thread title, I irrationally expect a recipe for a homemade snack product involving whole grains and organic ingredients.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on April 01, 2006, 04:45:46 am
I have to ask: is there actually someone out there being as much of an anorak as possible about this? Some guy (or girl, I dunno) sitting near the computer 24/7, waiting for the hour to roll around so they can SUBTRACT ANOTHER CAN from their nemesis, ahahahahaha, you all laughed at me at the Academy but who's laughing NOW!?-style? If so, I'll laugh. And then maybe cry.

V - there are TWO PEOPLE who seem to take about 5-7 cans PER DAY from three or four other people.  Yes, they must keep coming back, hour after hour, just to subtract cans.

I am amused by this, but mostly my heart is filled with pity.  I just subtracted one of my own cans in their honour, like pouring out a half-oz of your 40 for your fallen "homies."
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2006, 05:04:07 am
Jough, over the last couple of days I have taken cans from you because you gave yourself like 50 cans all of a sudden.  I took the cans for that reason alone, not for anything in particular you wrote, but I stopped when you called me on it.  I see now that you were trying to compensate for your unwarranted losses.  I don't know why anyone would be so dedicated to sabatoging yours or anyones can count, it seems petty.  I guess there are those on this board that don't like you Jough, but those people just don't get you.

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on April 01, 2006, 06:02:44 am
Oh, I don't care if people like me. But when people start taking wombat's cans, well, they're obviously crap dudes.  Because no one doesn't like Wombat.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 01, 2006, 09:06:45 am
So many arguments for just turning OFF the karma function. Seriously. It shouldn't matter either way, giveth, taketh, whatever. There's no basis for reality or rationality in the system, and now you're feeling the need to put effort into monitoring or managing an irrational sytem.

Just turn it off. That would make everyone equally happy or unhappy and people will be unable to be crap dudes anonymously. Because that really seems to me to be the basis of the problem with the stupid cans.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on April 01, 2006, 02:21:54 pm
Jough:  Aw shucks.

AD: But see, no one can be a crap dude anonymously after all.  Big Brother is watching.   If there were no cans, they'd be able to be crap dudes in their hearts with no punishment.  But now G's Own D will get them.. 

Anyway, come on, it is so much more entertaining this way.

Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2006, 04:34:36 pm
Anyway, come on, it is so much more entertaining this way.

I agree with Wombat, seriously we were running out of material.  The cans have revitalized the act.

And I must say, Dawg, you taking the curmudgen role this season was a stroke of casting genius.

~Paul
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Mite on April 01, 2006, 05:41:29 pm
I am sorry to the stranger(s) I took from/gave cans when I first got back here. I didn't know what they were, and I just clicked on things for a minute until I figured out what was going on. I didn't realize it was a thing.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on April 01, 2006, 05:48:09 pm
Yeah, people take their cans pretty seriously.  They are hard-earned, and hard-fought-for.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: Lister on April 01, 2006, 07:36:02 pm
Yeah, people take their cans pretty seriously.  They are hard-earned, and hard-fought-for.

Or you can ignore them.  I did it for a while and it did not seem to break the internet for everyone.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: V-Adore on April 01, 2006, 09:06:37 pm
I've taken the first step and admitted that I am powerless before the cans. As a result, I read my own posts as infrequently as possible, so as to prevent temptation. It's... sort of working so far. I'm also working on what appears to be my "natural" karma level...
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 02, 2006, 02:13:28 am
See, Wombat, the thing is they weren't monitored before and there is a lot more kvetching about the cans being arbitrarily taken away then arbitrarily given. Since it's an irrational system, both things should be in balance - but they aren't and it appears that now, special structures and special rules are being created to police an irrational and meaningless system. It's just far more sensible to get rid of it and let people who want to be crap dudes actually SAY stuff instead of secretly (Still to all but Jough and V) log on and take peoples cans.

It's not curmudgeonly at all, Paul, it's common sense. The juice is so not worth the squeeze in this case,  and the lengths that people are going to manage it are becoming comic. Turning it off solves all the problems, doesn't cause new problems, and doesn't require extraordinary effort for very very small utility.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2006, 03:30:34 am
and the lengths that people are going to manage it are becoming comic.

Well, exactly! 

If we could trust Onstad to provide a comic every day it would be one thing.  But as it is, sometimes we've just got to make do.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on April 02, 2006, 03:56:57 am
I've even added extra arbitrariness to the system now - once a day a random user gets 10 cans taken away.  A different random user (could be the same user, but doubtful statistically) gets an added 10 cans.

Also, anyone taking more than 5 cans away from the same user on the same day gets -50 cans taken away from themselves.

Also, I may make up more arbitrary rules that the cron job can run.  It is as easy as "UPDATE karma SET given=given+10 WHERE memberID=RAND() LIMIT 1".
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: miles on April 02, 2006, 05:58:15 am
He's a cruel and capricious divine phallus, but we love Him anyway.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2006, 06:04:16 am
Tiny cans are boring.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: theinevitable on April 02, 2006, 07:01:41 pm
ok, this reminds me-- Jough, I have a dead account hanging about that I can't log in to. It is from before, when i registered and just lurked. I didn't get to register until I got a new email address because my old one was from, roughly, 6th grade. Ummm... I can't find it now. Did you purge old, unused accounts? The associated email would be "wraithboy@hotmail.com"

Also, while I'm on it, I remember the thing that made me want to register, and then realize that my account was closed: Pat commented on Luna bars. And no one pointed this out. LUNA BARS ARE FOR LADIES. He wanted to buy power bars that would give him extra iron when it was that special lady-time.

Or did someone notice this at the time?
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: jough on April 02, 2006, 11:11:56 pm
No account with that email, Inev - but I wouldn't worry about it.  At some point I will be doing another big purge of users whose accounts have 0 posts, or haven't logged in since the new system was added, etc.

May as well clear out the clutter, and tighten up the member list a li'l' bit.
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on April 17, 2006, 07:36:03 am
Wow, I haven't been here in about a month and my thread has doubled in size.. I have yet to read what it's all about, but... yes, just felt like saying something before I forget.

I still read achewood, but the past month has been rough with keeping up with forums/communities, so eck, yeah... I'll try to check in more if this is what happens when I'm gone ;D
Title: Re: Yoga mix
Post by: starlight on April 17, 2006, 07:40:59 am
I'm allowed to double post in my own thread, right?
[hopefully there's no other direct questions here -- still reading -- or.. okay, I'll just edit this post if there are...]

D'ya wanna do it again?  Please!!!!!

Weeks late here, but... sure :D

I'm actually about to make another mix again soon since on iTunes, a few songs played back to back that inspired me.. once inspiration hits, I know another mix is soon to follow!

For the record, my new fav. band is Birdmonster.  take note, take note...

---

[edit]
Okay, caught up... the can thing.. I don't even remember how many I had before I left.. I think it was less than I have now, so I'll figure I became popular in my absence? ;D
I just gave paul ['cause I always reward those who praise even while begging.. *snort*] and ben-san [the thing about the title made me laugh; I do hate trail mix though... weird oddity.  instead I'd rather eat banana nut crunch out of the box.. mmm clusterssss and nutssss] one though.

I've never in my days here taken any away... I don't like the idea of bad karma for anyone even if they are being a crap dude.  someone else is bound to do it instead.

System or no system doesn't make a diff.. I can praise without giving cans, but it is a bit nice to click on it if it remains.