The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: sensate on February 07, 2006, 05:38:45 am

Title: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: sensate on February 07, 2006, 05:38:45 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02072006

Oh, I love it. The plot thickens. But whose brand is Beef building? His own, or Ray's?

Can't believe he's being this cold-heartedly ruthless. It is the Fight, but this is guilty Beef. I think he's taken it on himself to redeem Ray's birthright. At. The. Cost. Of. His. Life.

EDITED BY V to add permalink
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on February 07, 2006, 05:41:24 am
Awesome.

I'm also fond of "you can't hack a massive furious Nazi from San Bernadino."

Better and better... especially the weird cats-in-perspective in the third-to-last panel. This storyline is a delight.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: lprkn on February 07, 2006, 05:42:30 am
This is just so bizarre. It seems a bit out of character for Beef.

Remids me of Slater's character in True Romance, all nerdy, working at a video store, then falls in love and caps Gary Oldman like it ain't nothin'.

Edit: Just noticed the fence. It's there to keep things in. Awesome touch.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: sensate on February 07, 2006, 05:53:59 am
This is n e c e s s a r i l y gonna be awesome!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: bonaparte on February 07, 2006, 05:58:45 am
what in the HELL is Ray doing questioning whether Roast Beef can bust asses.  the guy cuts himself on sour cream lids.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2006, 06:00:47 am
I think this might be the real Beef. He ain't afraid of no creeks no more.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2006, 06:08:03 am
Some people seem a certian way, but when the circumstances are right another person altogether emerges.  This is just such a circumstance in Beef's instance.

Frikkin' Awesome!!!

Who said this story would make a good movie?  Yes, I think it's time to start casting this thing.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: robot_god on February 07, 2006, 06:10:52 am
You just can't cold run down a man!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2006, 06:17:56 am
Holy crap, you know who Beef is talking like?

Alright you want a hot dog or a Polish or anything (http://simplemission.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/rorschach.jpg)
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2006, 06:18:13 am
You just can't cold run down a man!

Like hell you can't.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 07, 2006, 06:18:48 am
I don't think I have ever been so excited for the next day's strip. This arc is Achewood's ultimate purpose.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: mrchee on February 07, 2006, 06:19:18 am
I think this might be the real Beef. He ain't afraid of no creeks no more.


But is that brave or stupid?  remember, if there is an earthquake the creek can close in around you.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: miles on February 07, 2006, 06:20:42 am
Who said this story would make a good movie?  Yes, I think it's time to start casting this thing.

I think we did a good job last time we played this, but I don't feel like digging it up.  I'm not saying we shouldn't do it again, though.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: LCB on February 07, 2006, 06:57:51 am
Beef knows brand building alright. You run a guy down and get off your bike and casually ask your sidecar passenger if he wants something from the concession stand, people are going to be more impressed than if you ran the guy down and started bellowing and bragging and yelling I BRING THE PAIN, SEE WHAT IS IN STORE FOR YOU so all nearby can hear you.

Plus, Beef would make a great contestant on The Running Man
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: thedudeabides85 on February 07, 2006, 07:08:35 am
Now that the dude's leg is broken, are there only 2,997 contestants besides Beef and Ray?  Or will the commissioner find an extra fighter before the event to fill the quota?

And Beef only ran over that cat so that 1) he wouldn't be able to compete and 2) he can let on like he's cold-blooded.  Beef is a scholar, not some strong-arm thug, all. 
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: evan on February 07, 2006, 07:10:55 am
Can you take a motorcycle onto The Acres?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Doc on February 07, 2006, 07:47:08 am
I'm suprised no one has commented on the obvious skill required by Beef to run the cat down so exactly. That's some skill there.
He fights like he does everything else, with anal retentive exactitude.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: melack on February 07, 2006, 08:38:03 am
Great comic, I think you guys have juts about covered it all. Well, except for the "pouf" sound effect when Beef's foot hits the grass. That's Bakersfield grass for you. Dry as the dickens. Just hell of poufs when you step on it.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 07, 2006, 11:02:00 am
I think one thing everyone missed is that Beef doesn't need a laptop to BREAK A MAN DOWN INTO HIS COMPONENT PIECES.

I think I'm gonna have to start calling Beef "The Scalpel", cause he cuts cats down; with exactitude!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: dejavroom on February 07, 2006, 11:59:24 am
*Had* to pop in to comment on Bozack's Beef/Rorschach association. Here it goes:

Oh shiiiiiiit!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2006, 12:25:54 pm
oh goodness me. Roast Beef is not the caliber of boy I want my boy associating with!
      -The Inevitable's mom


but oh dude beef is basically my hero. i want to be a badass with a heart when I grow up
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Roger on February 07, 2006, 12:54:42 pm
*Had* to pop in to comment on Bozack's Beef/Rorschach association. Here it goes:

Oh shiiiiiiit!

Oh shiiiiiiit, indeed.

"Injured cat in alley. Tire tread on broken leg. The GOF is afraid of me. I have seen its true face."
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: colmore on February 07, 2006, 01:12:16 pm
Beef is basically one of those dudes who is quiet and unassuming at all times until one day a friend says "oh man, if only we could get to New York this weekend... seeing that concert would be *killer*" and then all of a sudden he'll be all "I've got a car, and a zip-lock full of grey-market trucker speed, there's a buddy of mine in Queens with a couple of couches and and an old favor I can call in.  If you need a change of clothes, we'll find a Goodwill on the way, let's go."

This arc is so intense I had to actually register an account here.

Ray will die.  Beef will win.  But more characters will be in as well.  Don't forget: Teodore and Ray's mom both know that Ray is trying this crazy stunt.  The GOF seems ideal for Lyle or Nice Pete.  Will Tod show up wielding a tiny steel scrotum?

I have to wonder what the rules are for bringing items into the fight.  We already know that sunglasses and a bottle of beer are kosher, what else can one bring into the acres?

also... to be nerdy:

Has anyone read Locke or Hobbes or studied social contract theory?  The G.O.F. is a perfect thought experiment for that kind of thing.

Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: cellardoor on February 07, 2006, 01:32:39 pm
"Augh!"

Actually made me laugh out loud.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 07, 2006, 01:44:00 pm
Man.. what is it with all the homoerotic Batman avatars lately?


I guess the real question is what is it with Batman and homoeroticism?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: mrchee on February 07, 2006, 01:47:55 pm
Man.. what is it with all the homoerotic Batman avatars lately?


I guess the real question is what is it with Batman and homoeroticism?

Black rubber codpieces are sexy
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 07, 2006, 02:07:51 pm
Anyone else think that this is going to end like one of Ray's dates and Nice Pete will win everything and/or otherwise have heavy involvement?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2006, 02:14:10 pm
Beef knows brand building alright. You run a guy down and get off your bike and casually ask your sidecar passenger if he wants something from the concession stand, people are going to be more impressed than if you ran the guy down and started bellowing and bragging and yelling I BRING THE PAIN, SEE WHAT IS IN STORE FOR YOU so all nearby can hear you.

Exactly. You got to be cold and ruthless. Like you cripple other guys on your way to doing important shit all the time.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 07, 2006, 02:22:30 pm
I think one thing everyone missed is that Beef doesn't need a laptop to BREAK A MAN DOWN INTO HIS COMPONENT PIECES.

Interestingly, M.quizzle has subconsciously identified the only flaw in this strip: Onstad should have written, "bust a man down into his component pieces," rather than, "bust a man down ON into his component pieces." That is just clunky and, in terms of my personal reading experience, threw off the timing of that particular line.

Other than that, this strip is like Onstad is just giving us all hugs, one after another. I once heard that it is impossible to please everyone, but with this arc Onstad is basically rewriting the basic laws of the Universe. This is goodness on a molecular level.

Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2006, 02:47:25 pm
Man I hope Onstad can wrap this up by Friday.  I don't want to miss this weeks Philippe Times.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 07, 2006, 03:06:58 pm
Has anyone read Locke or Hobbes or studied social contract theory?  The G.O.F. is a perfect thought experiment for that kind of thing.

Total SoN right there man. Man forms a government to preserve his life! That's deep.



Who the hell knows where to hit a man's leg with a motorcycle and can actually pull it off?! Keep in mind a motorcycle with a side-car is not an easy thing to control.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Emergent_C on February 07, 2006, 03:33:52 pm
These two cats are in so far over their heads they'll cold need periscopes to see the asses of the other fighters, let alone kick them.

I mean, come on...one dude scammed his way into the Fight, and the other one hacked his way in. This is what is known as A Really Bad Idea. You have to get through the qualifying rounds for a reason, people.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: arkabee on February 07, 2006, 04:19:58 pm
i am speechless.

well, speechless for me, anyways.

which means i'm still talking, but less coherently then usual.

best comic strip ever since the last best comic strip ever.

beef appears to be _furious_ whilst he runs over the man's leg.

FURIOUS with EXACTITUDE.

Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobot on February 07, 2006, 05:29:26 pm
I'm also fond of "you can't hack a massive furious Nazi from San Bernadino."

I like that Ray thinks the verb "to hack" is synonymous with the verb "to conjure from afar and impersonate."

A note about the word "Polish": It's spelled the same as the verb referring to the action of making things shinier and the noun referring to a substance that facilitates the act of making things shinier.  My point: I have noticed that on bottles of nail polish remover, the descriptor on the label is sometimes shortened to "Polish Remover."  This strikes me as both sinister and humourous.

Today is Linguistics Day!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2006, 05:33:09 pm
Will Tod show up wielding a tiny steel scrotum?

Welcome Colmore.  A tiny can for that line.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2006, 05:34:44 pm
Man I hope Onstad can wrap this up by Friday.  I don't want to miss this weeks Philippe Times.

~Paul
And one for you, Paul, on general principles.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 07, 2006, 05:35:20 pm
I like that Ray thinks the verb "to hack" is synonymous with the verb "to conjure from afar and impersonate."

A note about the word "Polish": It's spelled the same as the verb referring to the action of making things shinier and the noun referring to a substance that facilitates the act of making things shinier.  My point: I have noticed that on bottles of nail polish remover, the descriptor on the label is sometimes shortened to "Polish Remover."  This strikes me as both sinister and humourous.

Today is Linguistics Day!

I'm sure the Germans would've loved to have some of that circa 1944 or so.*


* I say this as a person of German/Polish descent (and strangely enough Romanian Gypsy too, but that's not totally related.)  Hence, I guess I invaded myself?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobot on February 07, 2006, 05:37:46 pm
Hence, I guess I invaded myself?

...Hot.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 07, 2006, 05:38:27 pm
I like that Ray thinks the verb "to hack" is synonymous with the verb "to conjure from afar and impersonate."

I don't think he thinks that.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2006, 05:48:28 pm
An explanation as to how Beef skipped qualifying is provided.  Excellent.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: jough on February 07, 2006, 06:32:40 pm
I think Beef will "hack the fight" getting combatants to destroy each other through their own blood-lust and greed for victory, and then when it comes down to himself and Ray, Beef will wield the strong sack and TAKE THAT MOTHER FUCKER DOWN.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 07, 2006, 06:56:25 pm
I like that Ray thinks the verb "to hack" is synonymous with the verb "to conjure from afar and impersonate."

I don't think he thinks that.

I think what he's trying to say is, "You may be able to hack a system to get into the fight, but once you're in there, you can't hack a man to death."


I know exactly what you'll say but I'm leaving it at that.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 07, 2006, 07:09:39 pm
I think what he's trying to say is, "You may be able to hack a system to get into the fight, but once you're in there, you can't hack a man to death."

Correct. Though Jough (Whoah) has sort of blown the whole issue up by suggesting that Beef will, in a way, hack people to death. It's certainly possible; he clearly understands the fight on a fundamental level. It would be sort of funny, though, if after all this talk we've had about what will happen, if they just get into the fight and immediately have the shit kicked out of them.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: arlucasinc on February 07, 2006, 07:43:18 pm
If we're talking about other folks getting involved, I see Pat being the second to die. In graphic fashion, one would hope.

And yes, I realize that that dude isn't dead. Just got a runned-over leg. But some other dude gonna die. Then Pat. If Pat's even involved, and hey, who the hell am I to be guessing at story lines?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Dr. Sodomy on February 07, 2006, 08:40:56 pm
I'd always wondered if Beef was a closet hardass at heart. One of those guys that you'd really have to piss off to get a rise out of. I guess we know now. Beef may win the Fight.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2006, 09:19:57 pm
The thing is, Beef is a scholar. He probably already knows the weaknesses of all of the returning champs. He knows the special moves of everyone.
Mind over body, man. It's gonna be Bruce Lee up in this piece.

Also, I think I might have to bring back my sad Batman avatar, or make a new one. Just to show these whippersnappers WHO'S WHO.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2006, 09:41:24 pm
I'd forgotten just how melancholy this particular Batman is. Clearly he needs to hook up with some of the ladies from The Wild World of Batwoman.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2006, 09:56:26 pm
There is barbed wire on the fence that keeps you from leaving the Great Outdoor Fight.  This is serious business.

Also, am I the only one who is disturbed by how naked Beef looks in the second to last panel?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Lister on February 07, 2006, 10:47:21 pm
He's no more naked than normal.  The two cats in the previous panel, however, seem to be splitting one outfit between them.  They also look like they came from Crazy Kat.

Each strip delivers the awesome and promises even more awesome.  The pessemist in me says we're being set up.  The optimist thinks that maybe the ambush will be cool, too.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 07, 2006, 11:03:57 pm
Also, I think I might have to bring back my sad Batman avatar, or make a new one. Just to show these whippersnappers WHO'S WHO.

Yes! I may still be considered a newblet but Bozack is not Bozack without the blue batman! I feel more at peace now. Thanks for bringing it back.

CAN FOR YOU
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2006, 11:40:13 pm
Is that a larger version of the most soulful Batman ever?  It looks like it covers more area, or something.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: theauthors on February 08, 2006, 01:19:24 am
Total SoN right there man. Man forms a government to preserve his life! That's deep.
guys how is it a state of nature to kick ass under contract

GREAT STRIP, EVERYONE
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2006, 01:31:03 am
I am happy to see the Most Melancholy of Batmen return. The board feels just a little bit more like home now. Thank you, Bozack.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 01:36:22 am
Bah, I still miss the Ding Dong (Doris) Day avatar.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 01:49:32 am
Remember when Bozack's screenname was something mysterious with numbers and letters and only the in-crowd knew to call him Bozack?  And when I only figured out after a million years that the mystery was his address and I felt like a total moron? Those were good times.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 02:01:43 am
Remember when Bozack's screenname was something mysterious with numbers and letters and only the in-crowd knew to call him Bozack?  And when I only figured out after a million years that the mystery was his address and I felt like a total moron? Those were good times.

That was his address?

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 02:35:22 am
Yeah, it was an obvious address on the Upper West Side, which Paul from Texas is excused from identifying, but not Wombat from the Bronx.  Speaking of which did I mention that I only realized about a week ago that the name Emergent_C sounds like the word 'emergency'?  The Internet: providing an infinite number of additional occassions to realize that one can be a complete space cadet.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: miles on February 08, 2006, 03:11:58 am
Wombat from the Bronx.

This makes you sound like such a badass.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: miles on February 08, 2006, 03:15:03 am
Quote from: misterqueue
Hence, I guess I invaded myself?
...Hot.

Uhh, yeah.  If you think misterqueue fingerfuck*ng his asshole is hot, then yeah.

Oh, and it is.  You're absolutely right.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 03:19:53 am
Ok right now, that's enough.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: miles on February 08, 2006, 03:22:05 am
I apologize.  I thought, for minute, that I was in IRC.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: littlefox on February 08, 2006, 03:27:22 am
Hey, wombat. Try to figure out the secret behind my username. It is very tricky.

Anyway. I was the person who "suggested" that this arc would make a good movie. It's mainly just ... if somebody did make an Achewood movie, this would be the best arc to use. I very consistantly disagree with other people's choices about actors for comic characters if the comics were movies. Here's hoping that discussion doesn't start, because I will just be sitting here, screaming, "NOOO" the entire way through it.

Also, jough, you are so right about Beef "hacking" his way through the fight by tricking others into beating each other up. I hope Beef wins. I also hope somebody dies and goes to the Great Beyond.
I like how Achewood is the only comic where I hope a character will die. It's a cool change of pace.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: a change in plans on February 08, 2006, 03:32:48 am
I agree that although I have read achewood for about a year now, this was definately the story arc that made me sign up for the forum.

Is anyone else reminded of the movie Battle Royale by all this? Or more obviously Thunderdome? The fact that they seem to lock you into the enclusure is just so incredibly badass. It had better come down to a final fight between Beef and Ray where they stare into each others eyes, beads of sweat all dripping in slow motion, the crowds chants of THREE THOUSAND MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES all fading away as they contemplate how they have known each other since small times...


Edit: ah man, i apologize for not reading yesterdays posts and realizing that like five other people made thunderdome references. i am shamed.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 03:34:00 am
This makes you sound like such a badass.

Yeah, don't mess with me or I'll send my cousin Vinnie the Koala around.  That's a nice eucalyptus tree you've got there.  It would be a shame if anything happened to it, huh?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2006, 03:34:21 am
It had better come down to a final fight between Beef and Ray where they stare into each others eyes, beads of sweat all dripping in slow motion, the crowds chants of THREE THOUSAND MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES all fading away as they contemplate how they have known each other since small times...

And then Beef shanks Ray. IT CAN END NO OTHER WAY.

Unless Lyle is involved. Then, who knows?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 03:52:18 am
Ok right now, that's enough.

It's never enough when it comes to sweet sweet misterqueue lovin'
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 04:25:18 am
It's never enough when it comes to sweet sweet misterqueue lovin'

Cort, damn right, you still on for Saturday big boy?  *knowing smile wipes*
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 08, 2006, 04:47:31 am
Seeing as I only identify you with avatars (unless I've seen pictures) I am at this very moment imagining a happy milk carton fuck*ng an angry worm. That is all.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 04:59:44 am
Cheese is gonna get him some, you know that.  Don't ever turn your back on Cheese.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: sensate on February 08, 2006, 05:35:16 am
I was just looking at the strip again, and it struck me how much thought Onstad puts into it. I mean, you don't get the whole polish thing in a flash. No, you have to do some actual thinking about the subject. I'm reminded of Flaubert. He wrote something less than 2 pages a day, over which he sweated and strained. He would stand up on a chair and read his day's output aloud, to see how it worked, and then fret about it to anyone who would listen. I get the same sense from Onstad. Exactitude. Exactitollah Khomeni. Artistry.

(Oh, and the latest New York press has the Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. all up ins)
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: robot_god on February 08, 2006, 06:35:56 am
There is barbed wire on the fence that keeps you from leaving the Great Outdoor Fight.  This is serious business.

Also, am I the only one who is disturbed by how naked Beef looks in the second to last panel?

He is the nudest he is ever being.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: jough on February 08, 2006, 07:14:46 am
We return Friday.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on February 08, 2006, 12:10:26 pm
NOOOOOOOO

*spends school having a nervous breakdown about Beef's fate*
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 08, 2006, 02:05:07 pm
Speaking of which did I mention that I only realized about a week ago that the name Emergent_C sounds like the word 'emergency'?

Ohhhhhhhhh
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Emergent_C on February 08, 2006, 03:54:51 pm
Speaking of which did I mention that I only realized about a week ago that the name Emergent_C sounds like the word 'emergency'?

Don't feel bad, wombat, it took me a really long time to figure out that your avatar was actually supposed to BE a wombat. Every stinking time I see it I think it's a sloth. (And I've been a big fan of the wombat ever since I lived in Australia. But, yeah, that picture says "sloth" to me, no matter what.)

Also, Beef's naked leg kinda freaked me out too when I first saw it.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 03:55:49 pm
Seeing as I only identify you with avatars (unless I've seen pictures) I am at this very moment imagining a happy milk carton fuck*ng an angry worm. That is all.

That's not an angry worm. This (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/waccuse.gif) is an angry worm.

Now this little guy (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/waccuse.gif) looks more like he's up for what you're imagining.

And, uh, wombat's avatar is a sloth . . .
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 04:01:25 pm
That's not an angry worm. This (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/waccuse.gif) is an angry worm.

That's not a knife.   THIS is a knife.



apparently I'm now King of the Make-outs.  Is this a hereditary title?  I do not have a son, unless I adopt miles.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Beatrice on February 08, 2006, 04:07:46 pm
Oh, I get it this is a CAT FIGHT.  First one to whip out the garden hose wins.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 04:09:09 pm

And, uh, wombat's avatar is a sloth . . .

I swear, I didn't do it on purpose to be confusing, but it seems like it's gone too far to change it now.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobot on February 08, 2006, 05:32:46 pm
Yeah, don't mess with me or I'll send my cousin Vinnie the Koala around.  That's a nice eucalyptus tree you've got there.  It would be a shame if anything happened to it, huh?

The most menacing of nibbles.

I'm reminded of Flaubert. He wrote something less than 2 pages a day, over which he sweated and strained. He would stand up on a chair and read his day's output aloud, to see how it worked, and then fret about it to anyone who would listen. I get the same sense from Onstad.

Ah, le mot juste.  It's funny, I was explaining this principle to a couple of friends just the other night at dinner, but they didn't understand (I probably described it poorly).  I am so glad that I have *Internet Friends* who appreciate this sort of thing.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on February 08, 2006, 07:42:56 pm
the name Emergent_C sounds like the word 'emergency?

holy shit...you're right wombat. You're more right than you've ever been! I have a new level of respect for you Emergent C. I now love that name.

By the way, when is noon PST in eastern time?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: wombat on February 08, 2006, 07:44:45 pm

By the way, when is noon PST in eastern time?


Sooooo late I can't stand it!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2006, 07:47:08 pm
About 15 minutes from now.
(3pm).
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 08, 2006, 07:47:29 pm

By the way, when is noon PST in eastern time?

3pm EST
2pm CST
1pm Mountain.


education.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 07:49:23 pm
On Onstads watch noon PST should be about 3 am tomorrow morning my time.

~Paul
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: acoxcae on February 08, 2006, 07:49:45 pm
I hate being in Indiana.  Just when I start getting a feel for Eastern time, we're back to Central time.

Fuck*ng farmers and their cows not wanting to be milked before sunrise.

Apparently the Indiana gov't put a stop to this problem, and this is the last adjustment I'll have to make, though.  Right as I'm leaving.  THANKS GUYS!
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Golfhaus on February 08, 2006, 11:32:22 pm
That's not an angry worm. This (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/waccuse.gif) is an angry worm.

Now this little guy (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/waccuse.gif) looks more like he's up for what you're imagining.

Just as an aside, I loved those damn Worms games.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2006, 11:35:33 pm
Worms: Armageddon was responsible for more late nights in college for my suite than booze and titties combined
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Golfhaus on February 08, 2006, 11:54:19 pm
I was just discussing Age of Empires II with a friend and it inspired me to track down my CDs and install it on the new box.

I imagine very soon I will do the same with Worms. My buddy Jesse in California played it with a bunch of his friends. He introduced me to the game and promptly wiped out my sorry ass about 50 times. He had something like a 350-game winning streak amongst his friends, and was keeping track. Then I beat him. I literally thought I was going to be assaulted.

Then the wins started to come on the regular, and he became very difficult to be around. But sweet mother of mystery, was that a fun game to play.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 12:44:32 am
Worms eh?  Man it's been a while.  Might have to give that a run.

AOE II, now that was a fun game as well.  Dammit you guys, I don't have time for this nostalgia.







...but surely a couple rounds won't hurt?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on February 09, 2006, 01:04:16 am
Worms eh?  Man it's been a while.  Might have to give that a run.

AOE II, now that was a fun game as well.  Dammit you guys, I don't have time for this nostalgia.







...but surely a couple rounds won't hurt?

Cut to 4am Friday when misterqueue finally stops saying "one more round" and empties the cup he's been peeing in for the last day and gets some sleep
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on February 09, 2006, 01:08:53 am
Cut to 4am Friday when misterqueue finally stops saying "one more round" and empties the cup he's been peeing in for the last day and gets some sleep

No no.. that was back when I played CounterStrike.  This will all be over by Thursday afternoon...  evening at the latest I assure you.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Bozack on February 10, 2006, 06:16:39 pm
Did anyone here ever play the Neverhood?
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: hoborg on February 11, 2006, 05:23:42 pm
mayyyyyyybe...

(as in maybe 100 times)
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Bozack on February 11, 2006, 07:13:48 pm
Ha, yeah, hoborg, SOMETHING ABOUT YOU made me think that you'd played that.
Title: Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
Post by: Doc on February 12, 2006, 11:34:50 am
I have not played it myself but have watched a friend play through it several times.
My greatest joy was when he decided it would be cool to show me what happens when you go down the plug hole you are specifically told not to go down and then remembered he hadn't saved.