The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on February 20, 2006, 07:02:11 pm

Title: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2006, 07:02:11 pm
so, I play guitar. I enjoy playing it pretty soundly. I am getting a new guitar, because I am a spoiled rich kid, basically. Normally I try to deny it/fight it, but, come on! new guitar!

it will look like either http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/images/08_lg.jpg (http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/images/08_lg.jpg) or http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/prodpics/used/65_jag_sb.jpg (http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/prodpics/used/65_jag_sb.jpg)

(in addition to telling about instruments which you play, a vote as to the color would be helpful to me)


anyway: what instruments do you play? are you in a band? what is the name of the band? what kind of music do you enjoy making with your instrument?

I basically play anything which it is stereotyped for teenagers to like. except heavy metal.
so: punk, "indie" of varying kinds, classic rock.
I play guitar and piano. I own an acoustic guitar, a cheap beginner's electric guitar, and soon, a new electric guitar.
I am pretty bad at piano. I can play "jingle bells", with only a few mistakes!
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Drygioni on February 20, 2006, 07:23:16 pm
I play fingerstyle acoustic numbers on guitar, mostly. Simple stuff like the old Simon and Garfunkel. I also play keyboard, sporadically.

More importantly, I play bass in a band! We do not write our own stuff, but instead play whatever for friends and pubs. We used to play indie shite like the Libertines and the Strokes, but since none of us liked it once our domineering singer left, we now play Bossa Nova, blues, samba, and of course classic rock standards. I am hoping to get my bandmates into ska and some punk so we can play some Specials or Stiff Little Fingers.

We don't have a name.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 07:23:44 pm
More Fun with Wombat's Weird Past:

In the course of my life I have played acoustic guitar, shawm, recorder, button accordion, piano and/or harpsichord, in roughly that order of competence.  I have also been seen in extremely brief public appearances on medieval harp, drums and hurdy-gurdy. Maybe also pennywhistle.  It's kind of a blur. I have sung all periods of classical music but mostly pre-baroque in choruses, Balkan folk music, in bars with Morris dancers, and the sort of stuff you sing when you play acoustic guitar mediocrely but can sing pretty OK and in tune at the same time as another person.  

I am now retired from music except for singing along with the harmony parts to Bruce Springsteen in the car.  My great regret is never having been in a band with a name or played an electric guitar.

My friend who I used to sing and play guitar with has two boys 8 and 13 and she claims that NO ONE who is younger than us plays an instument anymore. I am glad if this is not true.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 07:29:39 pm
I have sung all periods of classical music but mostly pre-baroque in choruses, Balkan folk music, in bars with Morris dancers, and the sort of stuff you sing when you play acoustic guitar mediocrely but can sing pretty OK and in tune at the same time as another person.

This is really fantastic.

Anyway, I really like baroque choral music.  Sing much of that?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Drygioni on February 20, 2006, 07:34:47 pm
Wombat, that is quite the musical resume indeed. Playing drums takes it down a notch, but as you said it was an extremely brief period (I love drummers and their misshaped hands really.) I can't believe you've retired from music, you seem a lot more skilled than most dudes I know.

Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Tangle on February 20, 2006, 07:39:34 pm
I play drums (and vehemently argue that my hands are not in any way shape or form misshaped), although it's years since I last touched a drum kit. I've played in four or five bands, none of which anyone's ever heard of. Classic rock, hard rock, metal, such like.

I would really really love to get a band together again but that would require more time, money (for a proper drum kit), and space (for practising) than I currently have. Oh and other people into the same crappy music that I like.

Maybe I should just start playing the violin. The world's smallest violin. For myself.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 07:42:24 pm
Sang for 22 years, Piano for like 14 years now, flute for about 6, guitar for about 7, and drums in my dreams.


Man what I wouldn't have given to be a spoiled rich kid who could've afforded a drumset.  That is my secret dream, a drumset.  (Also a sailboat, and while I'm dreaming shit up: a pony and the ability to fly/see through clothing.  Thanks.)
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: robot_god on February 20, 2006, 08:13:17 pm
I play a few things.  I play guitar, bass, drums, cello, in process of improving on saxophone and keyboard.

Footnotes:  I sold my drums several years ago and now only play various percussion on tables and bottles and I own a djembe, this big african floor drum.  My primary instrument is guitar (maybe 9 years?), so natrually I can play bass also, but oddly I think I am a better bassist than guitarist.  Cello, I am out of practice.  I bought the alto sax in December.  A friend left his keyboard with me, so I've been playing it for the past 3 months or so.

I played in a metal band, an orchestra, and nowadays I just jam with buddies on jazz/jam rock, and also write electronic music called The Acidic Lung Project.  ALP has a Myspace that can be viewed at http://www.myspace.com/acidlung  .
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Drygioni on February 20, 2006, 08:17:13 pm
natrually I can play bass also, but oddly I think I am a better bassist than guitarist.

I reckon if you play drums for a while, it's easier to transfer the whole rhythmic skills learnt from that onto a bass guitar than to learn all the wankery associated with lead guitar from scratch. Just a thought.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 08:20:18 pm
Playing drums takes it down a notch

They were only silly little folky or primitive early music drums.  I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

I sang bits of baroque and later classical music but that was mostly not the crowd I ran with. I never played a proper orchestral instrument, although I once had a very vivid dream of having to play the cello in a concert of the Mozart Requiem without having been to rehearsal or actually knowing how to play the cello.  After a couple of movements I'd just about figured it out, but just then the conductor noticed and benched me, much to my frustration.

Now, I want to know more about Q's singing career. Was that a precious photo of a darling boy soprano we were looking at earlier?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Thee on February 20, 2006, 08:39:17 pm
Guitar, bass, flute, baritone horn, keyboard, upright bass, and some shitty percussion skills.  I'm not really good with a whole kit, but I can play bottles and cardboard like a motherfucker.  I would love a kit someday though.  A little crisp jazz kit..... ooooohhhhhhhhhh..........

I play bass in an improv band side project, when all the guys are in town we'll play, called Hot Little Secretary, no set lists, most songs and lyrics are made up on the spot, However, we do make a point to play Sir Psycho Sexy, a 10 minute version of Seven Nation Army which spans all musical genres and acoustic Fuck The Police.

And why are you asking?

obviously 3 tone sunburst, son
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 20, 2006, 09:36:02 pm
I plays the gee-tar.  I'm that obnoxious guy with a 12-string who plays Lemonheads and Iron & Wine songs, except that I only do it in my house in front of no one but my own family, rather than going to parties or the park.  I also play songs for my 2-year-old (including much of TMBG's kids' records), who jumps around appreciatively and sings along at times.

I sang for a band in college, in the grunge heyday of the early 90's.  One of the best weeks of my life was the week around New Years' in 1992/93:  We played at CBGB's in NYC a couple days before. The day after New Years, we headlined a big local-band show at our home club for the most enthusiastic crowd we ever had; I had seen the club more full maybe three or four more times, for Fugazi and Live (this is in Lancaster, PA, see).

Here is a lengthy tale from my rock 'n' roll days. (http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2004_08.htm#000217)  A couple MP3 dragged out the vault, if you really want to subject yourself to that, are here (http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2004_12.htm#000319).


Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: antioch on February 20, 2006, 09:41:01 pm
 I have also been seen in extremely brief public appearances on medieval harp, drums and hurdy-gurdy. Maybe also pennywhistle.  It's kind of a blur.

 Maybe if you and the other neofolk/period music travelers hadn't partied the 90s into oblivion you'd be a little sharper on the details! Friggin rockstars, I swear. 
Really though, I'm impressed.

 My favorite answer to this question ever was given by this guy I knew in highschool:
"I play everything. INCLUDING the saxaphone."

 Between him and Wombat I feel a bit light. Right now I play bass and control feedback loops in a bunch of different projects. My favorite is this blastcore/noise/skronk improv jamboree me and two other guys do on Fridays. And theinevitable, forget new guitars, it's all about the amps! *flailing, pseudo-hip-hop arm motions*
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 10:26:29 pm
Now, I want to know more about Q's singing career. Was that a precious photo of a darling boy soprano we were looking at earlier?

No no, that was me dressed up as GMr. Wonderfuls Julius Caesar.  See I was a bit obsessed with Roman Emporers since I was born on the Ides of March.  I dunno.  I was an odd kid.

Anyway, I was a boy Soprano back then.  Started in Choir and on and on till I ended up with bands and singing shanties and other various unsundry things.

It's more of a hobby than a career really, but thank you for your interest.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on February 20, 2006, 10:34:10 pm
I play lead guitar in a rock band ( alt.country x shoegazer = crazy delicious )

I don't care whether your new Fender is sunburst or metallic blue, as long as it is a Stratocaster and not a Jaguar. 

Seriously.  Get a Strat.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2006, 10:42:21 pm
mann.
antioch: yeah, I've realized that no matter how great this guitar may be, it will sound like crap on my shitty shitty crate amp.

limmo: how can you combine those things? that is so awesome!

yeah, I wanted a strat at one point... but... jaguar! so many switches! short scale neck! crazy shape!

I don't know, I'm going to try it out before I buy... but... I've wanted one for years.

and: I'm glad that there are other people whose greatest musical regret is not being able to afford a drum kit. drums are awesome!

judy: oh man! I am totally listening to some old school Ska right now. Desmond Dekker! Prince Buster! Skatalites! Specials (not as old school)! Hoorah!
Ska is such fun music. why is it so fun? I love it.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: sunnystar on February 20, 2006, 10:47:31 pm
I did the piano thing for...eh, approximately 10 years or so. I still like to play when I can and have music as I'm not much for making it up off the top of my head.

I also sang. For years. From the required music classes in elementary school through middle school and then just because I wanted to and liked it in high school.
I was even in the show choir in dancing shoes and little skimpy sparkly dresses.
Drool away boys...
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on February 20, 2006, 10:56:11 pm
Read the Jaguar product review database  (http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/Jaguar-1.html) before you do. 

Also, a minor anecdote: I saw Television in 1992 when they put out their self-titled reunion album.  Both Richard Lloyd and Tom Verlaine played Jaguars.  They also had to re-tune their guitars after EVERY fuck*ng SONG. 

For the same amount of money, you can get a Strat that will be bulletproof and give you greater tonal options.  I've heard good things about the new Mexican Strats, and also the new Eric Johnson model.

If you want a guitar with a crazy shape and a lot of switches, get one of these (http://users.skynet.be/thekingofstring/For%20Sale_files/BC%20Rich%20Bich%20(1).JPG).
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Drygioni on February 20, 2006, 11:14:22 pm
judy: oh man! I am totally listening to some old school Ska right now. Desmond Dekker! Prince Buster! Skatalites! Specials (not as old school)! Hoorah!
Ska is such fun music. why is it so fun? I love it.

I'm not heavily involved in ska circles and I do not know whether they are considered the Good Charlotte of that scene but I sure love Madness. Their earlier stuff is fantastic, and it's the mentioning of Prince Buster that brought this into my head.

I know almost nothing about ska except the names of the famous ska dudes/revivalists. I'm a bad, bad person.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: slink on February 21, 2006, 12:05:50 am
I just bought myself a Charango at last. Figured it was about time. I've always had a real draw to bolivian music, ever since seeing Rumillajta as a child (multiple times). It's pretty awesome, but then nothing lives up to my studio Les Paul.
I have come to collect musical instruments basically, so I just kepe collecting what I can.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: weareas1 on February 21, 2006, 01:03:50 am

and the ability to fly/see through clothing. 

You want the ability to fly through clothing?  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 21, 2006, 01:25:20 am
I'm not heavily involved in ska circles and I do not know whether they are considered the Good Charlotte of that scene but I sure love Madness. Their earlier stuff is fantastic, and it's the mentioning of Prince Buster that brought this into my head.

I know almost nothing about ska except the names of the famous ska dudes/revivalists. I'm a bad, bad person.

I don't really follow ska, but I have friends that do and all those folks have big respect for Madness, so you've done good. One modern ska band that they have managed to get me into is The Slackers (http://www.theslackers.com/).

Growing up, I sang until my voice changed and played tuba (sweet) through high school. I've been playing bass for about 12 years (on and off and back on again) now. I was in a band called Long Distance Runner (http://www.myspace.com/longdistancerunner) for three years until they broke up last summer. I'm playing with a couple of them along with the very dude who turned me on to Achewood in a new band called Wind or Ghost are recording our demo right now, and also in another group that is not named yet.

This is my baby (http://www.carvin.com/images/guitars/LB70-tl.jpg). The company I bought it from, Carvin (http://www.carvin.com) makes some very awesome customizable type guitars as well, for a rate often cheaper of an American Fender or Gibson. Basically the instrument, especially guitar, you choose all depends on the music you want to play. I'm a fan of the beefier sound of the Gibson, particularly the SG, though Les Pauls are pretty rad too. The Jag is certianly a cool looking instrument, gotta go sunburst if that's the route you're looking. I would pay attention to what the players you want to sound like, tonewise, are playing and try to find a consensus. And get rid of the freakin' Crate at the earliest possibility and replace it with some an amp that will let your guitar sound like what it sounds like.

Of course, if you've wanted a Jag for a long time, get the Jag. No law saying you can't get another guitar to go with it down the line...
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: misterqueue on February 21, 2006, 01:26:16 am
You want the ability to fly through clothing?  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

You don't?


Also I'm kind of frightened that you used your first post for this.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 21, 2006, 01:56:26 am
I own a left-handed Washburn acoustic guitar. I bought it and started teaching myself/practicing for about two months, then took a day off and haven't touched it again except to move it from the dining room to the bedroom. I keep saying I'm going to get back to it, and I never do.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: side_show on February 21, 2006, 03:53:56 am
I played the piano very well when I was young, but gave it up when I hit adolescence, and now can only play one song that I somehow remember by heart.  I tried really hard to learn play guitar, but I have small, weak girl hands and no aptitude what so ever.  I sing a lot, basically every day, but not in a performance sort of way.  Also, I play the skin flute.

(I'm sorry, that's so childish.)
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2006, 04:39:00 am
yeah...
I've read the reviews, I like the bands that play jags, etc.
all I'm lacking is the actual experience of playing it. which should come pretty soon.

what I can't understand about that site of reviews is that the first 2 pages are mostly negative, and after that, it's almost straight 10's.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 21, 2006, 05:20:38 am
I was in a band called Long Distance Runner (http://www.myspace.com/longdistancerunner) for three years until they broke up last summer.

Was the band name inspired by the Fugazi song?  It's one of my favorites by any band.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on February 21, 2006, 05:28:51 am
yeah...
I've read the reviews, I like the bands that play jags, etc.
all I'm lacking is the actual experience of playing it. which should come pretty soon.

what I can't understand about that site of reviews is that the first 2 pages are mostly negative, and after that, it's almost straight 10's.

Maybe there was a bad batch of Jags from the factory.  Who the hell knows.

Also: consider getting a slighly less expensive guitar and using the $ to get a better amp.  Line 6 Flextones are good and cheap.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2006, 05:54:28 am
yeah, the guitar+amp option won't work-- the deal is "hey, we'll buy you a guitar", so cheaper guitar = only cheaper guitar.
I mean, I'm considering just getting one used on ebay... much cheaper. but, still, that would only result in a guitar. I'll just get a summer job and get a better amp (alternatively: buy drums. everyone plays guitar... and I don't know any drummers.)
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: jough on February 21, 2006, 05:58:35 am
I have one of the "new" Mexican Strats (got it in 1994) and it is indeed a fine instrument.  Gotta be honest, there's not much difference between it and a regular American Strat (other than +$300-500).

It has served me well for the past (counts on fingers) wow, 12 years, and the thing is built like a tank.

I also have an old Steve Vai-esque Ibanez that I've had since 1991 which I have been thinking of selling, because it is very much a Headbanger's guitar and I just play the strat more.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 21, 2006, 06:07:42 am
Was the band name inspired by the Fugazi song?  It's one of my favorites by any band.

Yes sir. It is a great song by one of the few bands we had in common. One of my all time favorite album-closers.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 21, 2006, 06:09:57 am
yeah, the guitar+amp option won't work-- the deal is "hey, we'll buy you a guitar", so cheaper guitar = only cheaper guitar.
I mean, I'm considering just getting one used on ebay... much cheaper. but, still, that would only result in a guitar. I'll just get a summer job and get a better amp (alternatively: buy drums. everyone plays guitar... and I don't know any drummers.)

Some of the best drummers I know started out as guitarists. Always work for drummers.

For an amp, musical instruments in general, but especially amps, I highly recommend (depending on where you live) using Craigslist. There's bargains a plenty on quality amps that people want to get rid of quick because they're moving or something...
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: robot_god on February 21, 2006, 06:41:32 am
Inevitable:

I bought a new guitar off eBay once and although I was very happy with it, it had this small crack in the back of the headstock.  So be weary with eBay.  I had no choice, because it was one that I could find no where else.

Buy whatever you think you will be happy with, but I would certainly have to agree to avoid the Jag.

Gotta consider what your goal is;  if your goal is to play in a live band, you're probably going to be playing chord progressions with distortion.  I wouldn't reccomend a guitar with single coil pickups, single coils are ideal for bluesy lead or for intentionally muddy distorted tones.  I wouldn't really reccomend single coils for much else.  If you are going to play punk/alternative, it might be a good idea to get a guitar with humbuckers.

The Jag is really for seriously raw tones.  Lot of midrange, not alot of note clarity, unless you're playing clean.  Not very versatile.  If you want to play rock like Green Day or Blink182 or NOFX or something, I would reccomend a strat with humbuckers.  Fender usually calls them Fat Strats.  The humbuckers will produce a distorted sound that is alot more controlled than any single coil.

Personally, I would reccomend a Schecter.  I own a Schecter seven string, but I don't play electrics much anymore.  But as far as guitar for your dollar goes, I would say Schecters are the best electric guitars you can buy.  But I think that the guitar you are really looking for is a Strat with humbuckers.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 21, 2006, 07:38:02 am
So noone else here plays Banjo?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 08:31:24 am
I played tuba from grade school (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/PAUL_TUBA-CIRCA1976.jpg) thru College (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/PAUL_TUBA-CIRCA1980.jpg).  I play a little bit of guitar.  I had a nice Alvaraz accoustic (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/PAUL_ALVARAZ-CIRCA1985.jpg), but i'm mostly a bassman.  I've always been in love with the bass.   My first bass was a piece fo shit Hohner (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/PAUL_BOBBY-CIRCA1978.jpg), but I really loved that guitar.  I used my graduation money to buy a Rickenbacker (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/PAUL_RICKENBACKER-CIRCA1980.jpg),  but God doesn't want me to play the guitar (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/CRUSHED_RICKENBACKER-CIRCA1984.jpg).  After that I got a Jackson (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/PAUL_JACKSON-CIRCA1990.jpg) and another Rick, and a Strat, and a cheap lefty bass, but everything was stolen from my house along with a Marshall amp, a 12 channel mixing board, a 4 track mini studio (along with my demo master), 2 power amps, equalizer, the Alvaraz accouistic, a VCR, shotgun, linemans boots, and my Porn.  They stole my porn can you believe that?  I also once had a nice 12 string Ibanaz accoustic that I gave away as a present.  Now i've got a Lefty Ibanez (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/DSCN11200-E-1024.jpg).  I like it a lot, but I rarely play it.  Sigh...

~Paul

Krista likes to Play too... (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/INSTRUMENTS/KRISTA_RICKENBACKER-CIRCA1980.jpg)

Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2006, 12:30:33 pm
WHY WOULD GOD DO THAT TO A RICKENBACKER?
WHYY!


I want to play in a band where even the drums are rickenbackers.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2006, 01:00:58 pm
So noone else here plays Banjo?

Um, should we?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Drygioni on February 21, 2006, 04:29:46 pm
So noone else here plays Banjo?

I'd be impressed if you did. Looks hella hard to play,though I have never tried. It's a shame that the banjo is banned in Britain.

What with living in Hawaii and all, i'm surprised you don't play the ukelele. Everyone in Hawaii plays the ukelele.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2006, 04:39:53 pm
over the summer, I introduced a girl who is not american to the banjo. she enjoyed it roundly. in the country that she is from, they do not have this instrument.

I escaped the south for the summer, got all the way to Ithaca, NY, and then went to a bluegrass concert where they played "dixie".


But I really want a jaguar! come on!

Damn. I know what you mean, though. I mean... egh. The problem is, I play wayy too diverse of styles. Actually, basically rock. But some is soft, pretty, jangle-ey rock, and some is distorted, crazy, punk rock. I have never played a single-coil guitar, is also a problem.

I really just need to try it. I'm considering being a horrible dick, and try it at the store (I'll have to ask them to order it), and then buy it online used.

Why are there so many kinds of stratocaster? Which would you suggest (I want a mexican-made one, price wise, but I'm not sure what that means for my options. Are all of the ones that don't say "American" in the title mexican?)

I feel like I'm buying a damn car. The strat is a minivan, and the jag is a sports car. On the one hand: the sports car is awesome! it goes fast! I'm a teenager, and when else will I have the chance to own a sports car! But also: it might break a lot. it is specialized.

I mean... I love strats. But I've had my heart set on a jag since... even before I got my first guitar.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Drygioni on February 21, 2006, 04:49:13 pm
Why are there so many kinds of stratocaster? Which would you suggest (I want a mexican-made one, price wise, but I'm not sure what that means for my options. Are all of the ones that don't say "American" in the title mexican?)

I feel like I'm buying a damn car. The strat is a minivan, and the jag is a sports car. On the one hand: the sports car is awesome! it goes fast! I'm a teenager, and when else will I have the chance to own a sports car! But also: it might break a lot. it is specialized.

I mean... I love strats. But I've had my heart set on a jag since... even before I got my first guitar.

I think you'll really need to try out before you play. It's an old cliche, but once you start playing a guitar, you'll know whether it's right for you. I only got my beautiful Fender Jazz after hours in London searching, and I just picked that up, and it felt right. It wasn't what I started looking for, but hell I don't regret getting it all. I'm very lucky I found it.

If that is not an option, I can't really tell you to buy either a Strat or Jag as I am not a lead guitarist and don't know shit about either. As for the Mexican/American thing, I believe Fender makes Korean ones also... you could check those, they are normally cheaper but correspondingly not so great, etc.

Eh, I'd go for the Mexican for value, if you have money to burn American because you get slightly higher quality electronics.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 21, 2006, 04:49:31 pm
Get the guitar, you're not marrying it. If another, down the road, better suits your needs, then you can get that one too. (Mexican fenders are hella cheap, and the best instrument you can get for that price. I had a P-bass I bought from a pawn shop for 100 bucks, it served me very well). You're still real young, and the most important thing is that you get something that you really enjoy playing and will motivate you to work on your chops. If that's the purpose the Jaguar will serve, then it's well worth the money spent...
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 21, 2006, 05:20:56 pm
I like to play the Liquid Banjo (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05302002).
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 05:27:39 pm
WHY WOULD GOD DO THAT TO A RICKENBACKER?
WHYY!

To be fair, I had a hand it that as well.

~Paul
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 21, 2006, 05:31:13 pm
over the summer, I introduced a girl who is not american to the banjo. she enjoyed it roundly. in the country that she is from, they do not have this instrument.


Was she Irish? The banjo is a lot like whatever you call the irish folk instrument that has a drone string. Which makes sense, actually - listen to bluegrass and then listen to traditional Irish fol;k music. They are so similar that it's impossible not to arrive at the correct conclusion that the majority of people settling in Appalachia were Irish (Ever see people clogging? Notice how they don't use their arms? No coincidence there either).

As for the Uke, there are a bunch of types with different strings and tunings and near as I can tell, there is one that is exactly like a little banjo with no 5th string so I guess I could try to play that.

Banjo isn't hard per se - you learn the chords and you learn picking patterns, plucking, and bending.  I'm not that good at it but it'd kind of fun, I kind of go into this zone because I have to concentrate on my fingers so much.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 21, 2006, 05:34:43 pm
The banjo seems like a lot of fun. To watch someone play it, it's almost like you just roll the music off, I tried one on once, figured it would be a pretty logical extension, but I just wound up confusing myself...I only fooled around with it for all of five minutes though...the only banjoist (banjoer? banjobe?) that I'm at all familiar with is Bela Fleck...is there anybody else out there worth listening to?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 21, 2006, 05:38:42 pm
the only banjoist (banjoer? banjobe?) that I'm at all familiar with is Bela Fleck...is there anybody else out there worth listening to?

Ricky Skaggs (http://www.skaggsfamilyrecords.com/)!!!  And the father of Bluegrass Banjo Earl Scruggs (http://www.earlscruggs.com/).

~Paul
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 21, 2006, 05:43:21 pm
Bela Fleck is a banjo player only in that the instrument he has attached all the weird stuff to is a banjo. It's interesting music, and the sounds are awesome but I actually enjoyed it a lot less than I thought I would.

Try some Del McCoury. Many of his/their songs are a lot of fun. Paul sent me a mixtape with a great Del McCoury song on it.

And of course, Earl Scruggs was The Man when it came to Banjo. If you can find a file on the intarnets of Foggy Bottom Breakdown it's worth it.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 21, 2006, 05:52:17 pm
Thanks guys, I'll hit up some limewire and do some sampling when I get home.

Does Bela always play the goofy instrument? I've heard some non-Flecktone stuff he's played on where he seems to be playing just plain old banjo, but I don't know the instrument well enough to be sure.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 21, 2006, 06:00:15 pm
I've not heard the non-Fecktone stuff. He must play it in the traditional way because otherwise there would be no reason to modify a Banjo to do all the stuff he does with the Flecktones.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on February 21, 2006, 09:12:24 pm


Why are there so many kinds of stratocaster? Which would you suggest (I want a mexican-made one, price wise, but I'm not sure what that means for my options. Are all of the ones that don't say "American" in the title mexican?)

I feel like I'm buying a damn car. The strat is a minivan, and the jag is a sports car.

Don't agree with the car analogy at all, but whatever.  Just go to the store and play guitars.  One will "feel" right to you, and it's not necessarily going to be the one you originally had your heart set on.  The guitar you don't want to stop playing is the one you'll leave the store with.  Happy hunting. 

Don't ever buy a guitar off of eBay.  In fact, don't ever buy a guitar you haven't actually played.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Hobot on February 22, 2006, 01:25:30 am
Recently I was fortunate enough to accompany my SO to the opening night performance of Béla Fleck & the Flecktones' new tour.  They were phenomenal.  Victor Wooten -- shit, I can't even describe how amazing he was.  He played faster than I could hear.  And during his solo, Béla played what appeared to be just a regular banjo.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 22, 2006, 03:46:17 am
hmm.
I was under the impression that the banjo was an african thing.

actually, she was bulgarian. it was one of those situations that makes everyone appreciate music all over again... her dad was really conservative, and wouldn't let her listen to american music.

so it was like "oh my god! have you heard of this band called Pink Floyd? they're incredible! I mean, wow!"


also: yeah, I mean, I'm just going to try it. if I like it, I'll get it. if I dont' like it, I'll get another guitar which I do like. I'll try out a variety, etc. But right now, I think that the Jaguar is the guitar for me. Maybe it isnt, but... I'm still young, right?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 22, 2006, 05:11:24 am
Its origins are African, I think, but of course, in America at least, most people consider it to be about the whitest instrument you can play.

Speaking of bluegrass, I just purchased Dolly Parton's The Grass is Blue and it's really nice.

Topically, I played the piano when I was younger, but got sick of lessons.  My parents were right, and I regret quitting.  I own three guitars, but don't play much anymore.  I've never been in a band, and the last time I played with someone else was like three years ago.  I sing, but poorly.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 22, 2006, 05:13:18 am
Yes sir. It is a great song by one of the few bands we had in common. One of my all time favorite album-closers.

Mine too!  If not my absolute favorite.  That entire album is sequenced in a way that couldn't be topped by Jesus.  But that song.  Oh!  That song.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 22, 2006, 03:56:34 pm
Mine too!  If not my absolute favorite.  That entire album is sequenced in a way that couldn't be topped by Jesus.  But that song.  Oh!  That song.

That color! Those lyrics!

That album, and the two after (though I don't think End Hits is on the same level as Medicine and Argument) really established them as a great album band, front to end, as opposed to a just (ha!) a great song band.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on February 22, 2006, 07:17:36 pm
Fugazi.  Whatever.  So five minutes ago.

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies (http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/02/marimba_ponies.mpg).
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: V-Adore on February 22, 2006, 07:34:09 pm
Fugazi.  Whatever.  So five minutes ago.

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies (http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/02/marimba_ponies.mpg).

I especially like the kid on the cymbal, just crashin' all those cymbals together, just having a great old time. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10082003)
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2006, 08:11:29 pm
Fugazi.  Whatever.  So five minutes ago.

They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies (http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/02/marimba_ponies.mpg).

GodDAMMIT the Internet is weird.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Mr. Gary on February 23, 2006, 12:21:10 am
Whoa, so late to this thread. Uh, I play the ukulele, bass, and singing saw. Also, jew's harp. Mostly ukulele.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 23, 2006, 12:25:47 am
For Miles and The Inevitable:

Instrument origin is African. I think Bluegrass Music's origin is Irish folk music. That's a guess on my part, also, Celtic bands sometimes have an instrument that must be a lute of some kind with a drone string. Not, though, a drumlike head like you would find on a banjo.

Good call on the origin, the word is apparently a deriviation of african words for drums (like Bongo).

See here for more. (http://bluegrassbanjo.org/banhist.html)


[link fixed - w]
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 23, 2006, 12:39:45 am
That color! Those lyrics!

That album, and the two after (though I don't think End Hits is on the same level as Medicine and Argument) really established them as a great album band, front to end, as opposed to a just (ha!) a great song band.

It's so hard to pick a favorite.  I really like Kill Taker, but lately I've really liked Steady Diet, too.  End Hits is also a favorite.  For some reason, Repeater and Argument, though great albums, never really ranked up there with the others.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Mr. Gary on February 23, 2006, 01:48:22 am
I'm a big fan of Red Medicine and Repeater, myself.

Apparently when Fugazi started, Minor Threat fans asked Ian Mackaye what that reggae shit he was playing was.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: antioch on February 23, 2006, 03:28:03 am
 Apparently those jerky minor threat fans had never heard Bad Brains.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 23, 2006, 03:37:59 am
god, I love fugazi.

but... really? red medicine?
I own it... and I've never been able to get into it, other than a few songs.
what am I missing?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 23, 2006, 03:44:03 am
Apparently those jerky minor threat fans had never heard Bad Brains.


Bad Brains, who just just reformed!!
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 23, 2006, 03:51:37 am
The way you can tell Fugazi is such a great band is that just about every fan you talk to will give you a different order of favorite albums. I'd say Argument is probably my favorite, with Red Medicine and Repeater not far behind. 13 Songs nearby for it's nostalgic value.

I can certainly appreciate, Inevitable, not getting Red Medicine. I didn't when it first came out. It was straight weird from what I was used to from them, all going in different directions, all weird rhythms, all occasionally not edgy. But as time went on, I gave it a more intensive listen, seperated it from the previous work (often really hard to do), and see that they were reaching out more, and doing a helluva job with it. I had a similiar experience with another DC band, SDRE's How It Feels to Be Something On, some years later...now both rank as amongst all time faves.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 23, 2006, 04:45:14 am
SDRE is a Seattle band.  And I still hate that album, but clearly I'm in the minority.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 23, 2006, 04:55:13 am
They've been completely outshined by The Marimba Ponies (http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2006/02/marimba_ponies.mpg).

How about being one of the non-marimba playing members.  "Oh, so you're in the Marimba Ponies!  You play the marimbas!?"  "No, I play the drums." :'(
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Mr. Gary on February 23, 2006, 04:59:15 am
Marimba Ponies, huh?

That reminds me of one of my favorite local artists, Laura Barrett (http://www.myspace.com/laurabarrett), a master kalimbaist.. Kalimbonist.. Kalimba player.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on February 23, 2006, 05:03:48 am
OK, now I can finally unawkwardly ask this question:
what is the name of that song?

and while I'm asking:
what is the name of that "city!" music? There is one family guy where peter gets his own theme music, and when he's on the bus, it starts playing.


there's a lot of incidental music that I would enjoy listening to on a personal level. but how do you bring up "you know that song thats like... *imitates marimbas with mouth*"?

also: HOLY HELL! http://www.brianudelhofen.com/Shadow.html (http://www.brianudelhofen.com/Shadow.html)
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 23, 2006, 05:05:10 am
SDRE is a Seattle band.

Dammit, I know that too, that's like the fifth time I've been corrected on that...I guess I just...can't accept it..
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: miles on February 23, 2006, 05:22:59 am
OK.  Really embarrassing story.  To me, anyway.  I got into Fugazi because I read somewhere that they were a Washington-based punk quartet.  Being from Seattle, 13 or so, and it being like 1993, I totally bought a Fugazi CD because I thought it was going to be grunge.  And initially, I was probably a little disappointed.  But the album was Repeater, which features one of the best one-two combination opening any album by any band ever, so I was quickly sold.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 23, 2006, 05:51:04 am
OK.  Really embarrassing story.  To me, anyway.  I got into Fugazi because I read somewhere that they were a Washington-based punk quartet.  Being from Seattle, 13 or so, and it being like 1993, I totally bought a Fugazi CD because I thought it was going to be grunge.  And initially, I was probably a little disappointed.  But the album was Repeater, which features one of the best one-two combinations opening any album by any band ever, so I was quickly sold.

Hey, that's not too embarrassing. I'm twice that age and I just misplaced a band I've been listening to for almost 12 years. I would imagine it's the same Seattle-Washington thing that has it so ironed in my head, but they were a Sub Pop band and at the time I liked them because they were like a prettier Seaweed, so that still doesn't make sense.

That being said, right on the opening of Repeater call. That bassline in the title track takes the ball like a friggin hand off.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Emmoh on February 23, 2006, 05:57:54 am
OK, now I can finally unawkwardly ask this question:
what is the name of that song?

Took a minute, but Sabre Dance
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: robot_god on February 24, 2006, 01:54:32 am
and while I'm asking:
what is the name of that "city!" music? There is one family guy where peter gets his own theme music, and when he's on the bus, it starts playing.

I don't recall hearing it before, I figured it was original music for the show.  "Ridin' on the bAHHse ridin' on the bAAHHHsse."
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2006, 04:34:40 pm
it will look like either Ocean Turquoise (http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/images/08_lg.jpg) or Starburst (http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/prodpics/used/65_jag_sb.jpg)

Definitely This One (http://www.zonicweb.net/badalbmcvrs/yellowmoon.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 20, 2007, 07:10:46 am
So. Several of you suggested replacing my shitty amp, I believe. Now that time has come, as shipping costs led to a decision to leave my amplifier in storage in St Louis for the summer. I can afford/will be able to afford something in the 3-400$ range. Any suggestions? My immediate impulse is something along the lines of "buy the most wattage I can get for 400$," but that is probably not the wisest. I don't really care about it having distortion, effects, emulation... all of that shit is meaningless to me, basically. I need to be able to plug my guitar into my Big Muff, and my big muff into the amp. I would then strike/strum the strings of the guitar, and the amplifier would make loud noises of a distorted quality. How do I best do this? To give you an idea of my inexperience, the tone on my 30-watt crate amplifier sounds pretty awesome to me at this point. I almost got a deal going over craigslist with this kid who was selling his 50W marshall tube amp, but he got weirded out (he was selling "Fender Telecaster and Marshall Amp, 500$" and was confused about why I wanted to buy just the amp. I think he realized that maybe it was a good 'un. damn.)

My main fear is that I'll go to the store and try out amps, and get tricked into buying one that is the wrong choice. I feel like guitar-store types are known for this. I am sorry for asking you all this question, but I am not really sure where to go with this problem.

Realistically, I am pretty bad at guitar, and I should just buy a crappy small amp. But I'd like to be able to play with other people. If I could ever find anyone to play with.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: smick on May 20, 2007, 07:56:03 pm
Well, if you do a lot of practicing just for your head, you may want to pick up a Korg Pandora.   I have one of the older ones, and am eyeballing the PX4D.   Nice little boxes.  They do a lot of the basic effects that you'd want (Compression, a couple flavors of distortion, Overdrive, Flange, Autowah (Ottowa)) and some basic amp modeling.  They generally run 'bout a hun'red. 

Also, earlier Limmo gave some tips for buying a guitar.  The same thing goes for an amp.   Take your guitar to the store with you, since you KNOW what it sounds like.  Then start plugging into the amps.  For the longest time I was really intimidated by the music store dudes, and making any kind of noise in the store.   F' that.  Go in, twist all the knobs play through your single coils, play through your humbuckers, play with your tone all the way down, play with it all the way up, muff on, muff off.   Eventually you're going to fall in love with one of those amps.  It might not even be the more expensive one!

I just picked up a guitar the other day (For years I've been playing a fender accoustic, and a post-bankruptcy Kramer, both are plywood guitars.  Not excellent.) and I did the same thing.   Just cycled through a bunch of them.  I had an open budget for purchasing.  I didn't end up with the most expensive one I could buy, but this Godin SD (http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdp.htm) just felt so good to play.   It came down between the Godin, and a G&L.   Both were nice.  But this Godin just felt RAD.   

So I can't give you any geekery about watts, or knob length or that stuff.   Just kinda play with em and decide which one you love. 
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 20, 2007, 10:39:24 pm
damn. I was afraid y'all'd say that.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: robot_god on May 20, 2007, 11:16:56 pm
I don't really know anything about amps.  I have a Fender Twin Reverb, it is pretty good.  All amps are pretty ok.  All I know is that I really don't like Marshalls.  When I go to the rehearsal studio with some dudes, I usually pick a Soldano for a clean/slightly dirty tone.  They probably cost a fortune.

Since you're expecting to use a pedal for distortion, just make sure your amp has a real good clean channel.  I guess that is my problem with Marshalls, I think their clean channel is too mucky.

You can get probably find a decent Crate twin for $350.  Probably will have a handful of effects in it.

Also:  pick the amps up to see how heavy they are, for kicks.  Marshalls are significantly heavier.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: linnea on May 20, 2007, 11:48:10 pm
Jeez, I wish I could play an instrument. I used to sing in a choir. That's about it.

Oh wait... I do love to spaz out with rhythm instruments, though. (http://www.nataliedee.com/031007/tambourine-solo.jpg)
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: smick on May 21, 2007, 07:38:41 am
YOU ARE AN INSTRUMENT OF AWESOME.

So, I went to the music store after writing the last post to pick up the Korg PX4D.   I ended up picking up a Line6 TonePort.   I haven't ever played with any of their software modeling doodads.   I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with this thing.   It took a lot of the stupidness out of recording into Windows.  It does a bunch of cabinet modeling and effects modeling.   
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2007, 07:40:44 am
yeah. so. I am having a lame episode about my guitar-playing, after hanging out with my friend. He is kind of lame, except about music. He is an incredible sax player-- it's his passion. His most prized possession is his sax, he brings it everywhere, etc. And somewhere during the course of the night, he started going off about jamming with people, and talking about who "had it" or whatever... and I realized that I really don't. I hate that I can't really be passionate about the guitar, if that makes any sense. I lack the drive to put effort into it, and I'm trying to remedy this. But, the problem I have is... I don't even know what I need to do. As of the 22nd I will have been playing the guitar for 4 years. I know some scales poorly. I know lots of chords. I know how to play some songs. But I feel like none of it comes together. I have dozens of half-written fragments of songs-- chord progressions, riffs, etc-- that I have no idea how to continue or finish. So. How do you find direction on something like this? I know, I know, "just express yourself"... but I don't really know how to even start to go about such a thing. Part of the issue is that I have no idea what I need to know to play like the guitarists I like. They all seem to be making it up as they go along. It's not as if I can go down to the store and buy "learn to play electric guitar, with J Mascis" or whatever. I mean... fuck. I like how I am having an "I'm so lazy! fuck!" crisis about playing the electric guitar.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 21, 2007, 09:41:55 am
I just played bass for over an hour and a half.  It was the first time I had played since finals.  Do you like playing?  Just make songs, no matter what, and slowly they get better, I guess is my advice.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: smick on May 21, 2007, 10:17:40 am
Your friend sounds like a poo head.  Jamming is it's own skill set.   Just like writing music is totally different from that.  One thing you might want to do is hit the tab sites and work through the phrases of the guitar players you like.  The bass player from my high school band would listen to the Cure for hours.   His base lines, even though they were all his own, would sound like the Cure.  (He didn't even have retarded otter mouth!)

Are you taking lessons at all?  I could see where that would lead you to feeling aimless.   A decent teacher could give you some direction to get you off the plateau you've hit.   (I'm actually about to take up some lessons for the same reason.)



Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: AugustWest on May 21, 2007, 03:03:15 pm
When you are playing, however you play, do you enjoy it?  Does it relax you?  Does it put you in a meditative state?  Does it help you express your feelings?   

For the vast majority of us, music (like sports) is a pleasurable hobby or pastime.  As an amateur, your self-worth should not be affected by your musical chops.  Just play the way you enjoy and the good lord will provide.

That's not to say you shouldn't try for improvement.  You just shouldn't get bunged up about it.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2007, 06:43:11 pm
yeah. I mean, I enjoy playing. It's more of a thing where I'm focusing on the guitar issue, because it's easier than focusing on the fact that I'm lazy about basically everything. I need a job, I need to work harder at school, etc.

Yeah, my issue with writing songs is that the ones that I like are the ones where I basically make up chords. And then I figure out what the chords are... and they're a 1-4-5 in A. I am not sure why this happens every single time. Basically I feel like I need to get better technically before I can play the kind of stuff I want to play... but I don't really know how to do that.

In regards to him being a poo-head, possibly. But he's a jazz type, so being able to jam is kind of essential.

I really feel, in addition, like playing with other people would help me a lot. But the one guy in charlotte I know who plays guitar is SUCH A JACKASS and he kicked me out of our garage band for sucking at the guitar. he basically plays guitar like it is his job, but... in a way that to me is really boring. he turns every song into this vaguely country-sounding jam band thing. Plus he is a jerk. Basically I need to find people who are around my skill level, I guess. Or who are better, but not jerks about it.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2007, 07:16:21 pm
I mean, I don't know. Back when I first started learning, i could put in some hours every week learning scales/chords/whatever without thinking it wasn't fun. In fact, back then it was fun just to be able to learn new things.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on May 21, 2007, 08:21:30 pm
Part of the issue is that I have no idea what I need to know to play like the guitarists I like. They all seem to be making it up as they go along. It's not as if I can go down to the store and buy "learn to play electric guitar, with J Mascis" or whatever. I mean... fuck. I like how I am having an "I'm so lazy! fuck!" crisis about playing the electric guitar.

Actually, it sounds like you're having a crisis about NOT being lazy, but not knowing what to do.

Let's start off, please, with a list of the guitarists you want to play like.

Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2007, 08:58:47 pm
yeah. well. Another problem is that I am all over the place in terms of what I want to play.
But basically:
Kurt Cobain
J Mascis
Pixies (Black Francis, Joey Santiago)
those guys from At The Drive-In (my secret shame)
basically Minor Threat/Black Flag type stuff (I can handle this. This is power chords.)
Reed/Morrison, the more rocking/dissonant/loud/awesome stuff. (velvets)
Ian MacKaye/Guy Piccioto
but also:
Mr Jimi Hendrix
various old blues guys such as that (no one in particular. just... electric blues stuff. From Carl Perkins to Hendrix is basically the stretch.)
This is stuff which I can obviously find easily on the internet.
but also:
The Replacements
Violent Femmes (Gordan Ganno?)
The various guitarists of The Feelies
Television
Built to Spill sometimes
the more fun, jangly part of the Velvets.

But the kind of stuff I write is in either the first group (punky!) or the last (guitar-pop!).

I am currently downloading the Power Tab files for bands I like. So far, this is pretty limited, other than every Jimi Hendrix song.

Basically I like too many different kinds of guitar music. When I pick up my guitar I typically tend to play bluesy stuff, as that is what I was into the most when I first started playing, and so that it most of what I learned back when I took lessons. Plus, as stated before, everything I play turns into a 1-4-5. Plus, there is a "Blues Scale," whereas there is not an "indie rock" scale.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: jaydub on May 21, 2007, 09:25:23 pm
Wasn't Kurt Cobain a bassist?

Nevermind, that was Novoselic.


Oh, a pun.  How painful.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: smick on May 21, 2007, 11:38:34 pm
Well, since I want to have Frank Black Francis' retarded children, I give you

Frank Black Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/

and

Pixies Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/pix.asp

If you don't have access to much Frank Black stuff, I imagine it can be arranged to say, fall off the truck somewhere near you.   These and brokenbricks.com are where I've been haunting during my guitar times.   An MP3 on iTunes and the tab in front of me.

Frank's Rhythm work can go from nice and easy, to these weird syncopated rhythms.   It's all a good workout. 

Where is My Mind's Rhythm might be a good place to start.   E,  C#, G#, A.   It's a nice easy one.  Might get you out of the whole step rut!
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on May 21, 2007, 11:44:32 pm
yeah. well. Another problem is that I am all over the place in terms of what I want to play.

Alright, well, the good news is: you're interested in bands whose music is fairly easy to learn and play along with.  You're already doing the right thing by getting power tabs of these guys.  One thing you could do: make a list of thirty songs you want to learn how to play, that are in the vein you ultimately want to move in.  Then whittle that list down to the ten songs you're most enamored of.  Find the tabs for them.  Then pick ONE song from your list and beat it to death.  Most people just sort of learn a song a little bit and then get bored and move on to something else.  Learn the song backwards and forwards, till you can play it in perfect time with the recorded version without even looking at the fretboard.  

More later.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: robot_god on May 22, 2007, 01:00:47 am
I think the best way to improve is to play along with music, play some tracks and try to improv along with it.  I disagree that improvisation is a different skill set from technical ability.

Just search the fretboard and find notes that work.  And put some vibrato in it.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: linnea on May 22, 2007, 04:59:06 am
Well, since I want to have Frank Black Francis' retarded children, I give you

Frank Black Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/

and

Pixies Tabs: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/pix.asp

If you don't have access to much Frank Black stuff, I imagine it can be arranged to say, fall off the truck somewhere near you.   These and brokenbricks.com are where I've been haunting during my guitar times.   An MP3 on iTunes and the tab in front of me.

Frank's Rhythm work can go from nice and easy, to these weird syncopated rhythms.   It's all a good workout. 

Where is My Mind's Rhythm might be a good place to start.   E,  C#, G#, A.   It's a nice easy one.  Might get you out of the whole step rut!


Smick, you are awesome. I fuck*ng love the Pixies and Black Francis. Tiny can for you, good sir.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on May 22, 2007, 05:30:06 am
Here's the chords for the Replacements (http://www.theskyway.com/chords.html).  You'll learn a lot about song construction just by playing along.

Getting your rhythm down - your internal sense of time - is more important than anything else.  Even just hacking through scales becomes beneficial when you do it with a metronome.   You do have a metronome, right?  You do now (http://www.metronomeonline.com/).

Here's one of the most genius things evah on the Interwebs: GAFF.  If you don't know how to play a particular scale or chord, you just plug it in here and off you go (http://www.power-chord.com/gaff/mapper/). 

A final note for tonight: I know you and I do not share the same opinion about Hendrix's Axis: Bold As Love album.  Nonetheless, it is a veritable microcosm of all Jimi's guitar techniques shoehorned into a fairly short album.  Guitar World just put out an instructional DVD with a teacher showing how to play the entire album, one chord at a time.  You could do a lot worse for ten bucks.  If you were to get it ( I got my copy at a supermarket newsstand ) and really put in some serious time with it,  you will learn how to operate a fuck*ng guitar. 

Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2007, 05:32:46 am
yeah, I tried to form a band once where the only common thread we had was all knowing how to play "Where Is My Mind?" It didn't last long.

The 10 songs idea sounds awesome. That is a great idea. I will do that.

Also: improvising/jamming along and trying to find notes that work is something that I am a big fan of. That method is actually the technique behind most of the times I have felt like I was doing well at playing guitar.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I realize that my weird rant up there was... weird. I was having a weird night.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2007, 03:01:00 pm
PS they have a bunch of NoMeansNo powertabs, which I had not dared to even hope for. Wonderful. So right now I am split between that, and The Cure.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 22, 2007, 03:40:47 pm
This weekend I played and sang semi-publicly for the first time in a long while.  I played about a half-dozen songs at my kid's birthday party, including Laurie Berkner's "Pig On Her Head" and TMBG's "Fibber Island."

Maybe a third of the kids (and parents) sat and listened, sang along, danced around.  The rest of the kids completely ignored me and ran around the yard like maniacs.  So, it was OK, but I don't think I'll start moonlighting as a kids' entertainer or anything.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2007, 03:55:46 pm
That certainly sounds like a normal ratio for that kind of venue.
Truly.  Any more and people would get suspicious that the Pied Piper of Hamelin had returned and would run you out of town before you lead the kids off to a Crusade.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 24, 2007, 06:26:02 pm
Basically I need to find people who are around my skill level, I guess. Or who are better, but not jerks about it.

If you were near me you could play with me. I'm not around your skill level, because I suck so fiercely. However, I do have a nice basement to play in, including the drum kit we discussed earlier, and my wife is a much more talented musician than I am. She might be around your skill level.

Seriously, every musician I know who isn't a dick says just play and play. I know what you mean, though, because I am really lazy too. I should be playing right now. Instead I'm probably going to play AoE III for about six hours.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2007, 07:08:57 pm
really? AOE III?

I could never get into it. The guys on my floor and I, however, played AOEII for... ages.

Our longest game was, I think, 3.5 hours. Which means, you know, it ended at around 3 or 4 AM.

Apparently I'm really awesome at age of empires? I can't figure it out. I am not a strategic person, but I always "pwn" them. Possibly because none of them focus on resource gathering enough.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Alternate on May 24, 2007, 08:03:23 pm
Truly.  Any more and people would get suspicious that the Pied Piper of Hamelin had returned and would run you out of town before you lead the kids off to a Crusade.

A crusade?  Is that what we think he did with them?  When I was a kid I thought he took them to live in a chocolate mountain paradise.  And as an adult I thought he just, you know... molested them and killed them, all while reassuring them that soon they'd get to the chocolate mountain paradise, soon.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 25, 2007, 04:22:33 am
really? AOE III?

I could never get into it. The guys on my floor and I, however, played AOEII for... ages.

Our longest game was, I think, 3.5 hours. Which means, you know, it ended at around 3 or 4 AM.

Apparently I'm really awesome at age of empires? I can't figure it out. I am not a strategic person, but I always "pwn" them. Possibly because none of them focus on resource gathering enough.

I . . . just bought it yesterday. This is how far behind my life is, people. This is why I am never here.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2007, 06:34:48 am
oh, no. I was just showing astonishment that you will play it for that long. I found out that my brother had it over spring break and played it for about an hour before I stopped. And uninstalled it.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 27, 2007, 12:24:01 am
tried out a Vox Valvetronix today. Sounds like heaven. Most likely buying-- debating between a 30 and 50 watter. My dad offered to chip in 150$, which means the 50 watt would essentially cost me... 200$. So I think that is my route.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: robot_god on May 27, 2007, 12:46:41 am
Classy choice.  But when it comes to 30 vs. 50 watts, who are you kidding, it's no decision.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on May 27, 2007, 04:29:54 am
The 50-watt has a 12" speaker; the 30-watt only has a 10" speaker.  If your amp is only going to have one speaker, you should have a 12.  r*b*t_god is correct.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 28, 2007, 07:18:43 pm
so. now I am doing this thing where I bought it, and I am freaking out that maybe I don't like it. I always do this with things I buy... so it's hard to tell whether I really like it, or not. The variety of settings is overwhelming, and it doesn't seem to like my big muff (granted, the muff was acting up with the old amp lately... I figured it was old batteries though. Yes, I replaced them.)
edit:
idiot move #1: let the guy sell me the floor model for full price (granted, today was a sale, 10% off... but still.)
idiot move #2: got talked into a store warranty. Apparently this is a huge waste of money, and for some reason no one thought to tell me this.

edit 2:
Um... they didn't take 10% off?
I think I may go back tomorrow and talk to this fellow.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on May 29, 2007, 05:49:10 am
so. now I am doing this thing where I bought it, and I am freaking out that maybe I don't like it. I always do this with things I buy... so it's hard to tell whether I really like it, or not. The variety of settings is overwhelming, and it doesn't seem to like my big muff (granted, the muff was acting up with the old amp lately... I figured it was old batteries though. Yes, I replaced them.)
edit:
idiot move #1: let the guy sell me the floor model for full price (granted, today was a sale, 10% off... but still.)
idiot move #2: got talked into a store warranty. Apparently this is a huge waste of money, and for some reason no one thought to tell me this.

edit 2:
Um... they didn't take 10% off?
I think I may go back tomorrow and talk to this fellow.

OK, first things first. 

Play around with the amp. And USE THE MANUAL.  Or did you not get one, since it was a floor model?  Here is a pdf of the manual (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/downloads/PDF/AD15_30_50_100VT_E4.pdf), just in case.  This is a modeling amp, which means you have more control over the settings than you might even want, especially for a beginner. 

Here is a page that may look daunting to you at first (http://www.amptone.com/voxvalvetronix.htm#_Toc144954395), but if you scroll about halfway down, under the heading Amps Modelled, and Tone Stack Placement for each Amp Type, you will find a table of what amps it offers.  You might want to read the whole thing.

Your amp is modeling amp with a tube in it.  In my experience with modeling amps, distortion pedals freak them right the fuck out.  A straight tube amp will accept the distorted signal and know what to do with.  Modeling amps just sometimes go berserk.  Even though the amp has a tube in it, the brain is still software. 

Try the Big Muff with the "Black 2x12" setting.  This setting models a blackface Fender Twin Reverb, the best clean-sounding amp.  Then try it with the "Tweed 4x10" and "AC-15TB" settings.  If your pedal doesn't sound good with any of these, you either needs to give up on the pedal or the amp. 

Do not EVER GET A STORE WARRANTY WITH ANYTHING.  It is a scam designed to divest you of your money. 

Did you buy this thing at a fuck*ng Guitar Center?  It would not surprise me.  You will never find a more wretched hive of clueless douchebags who don't know jackshit about the equipment they're foisting on you.  You must be cautious.

Spend a day and really put the amp through its paces.  If you're still uncertain about how happy you are with it, TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE WITH THE RECEIPT AND GET EVERY PENNY OF YOUR MONEY BACK.  ASAP.   Take your father with you, since he gave you a chunk of the money himself, and have him be the bad cop.  The clueless douchebag who sold it to you will be more likely to defer to an angry dad than an angry teenager.  So let him be the villain, and you just be sweetness and light: oh, it just isn't what I'm looking for; I'll spend my money on something else in your store, I just need to do a little more research, etc. etc. 

If you do pursue this course, when you're hunting for the next amp, use this page as a guide (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar%20Amp).  Reading the opinions of other amp owners is a big plus. 

Hope this helps.

Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on May 29, 2007, 04:43:47 pm
yeah. Now maybe I like it? I don't even know.

The thing that is mostly bothering me is the distortion built into it. Turned up all the way, it isn't enough on any amp except the "Recto" which is... nu-metal bullshit.
Turned down all the way, the amp is so quiet...
Basically you need to turn up the Gain to be able to hear most of the amps... and sometimes I like a clean sound which is not all twangy and shit (ie not fender.) I don't know... I feel like my old amp (Crate) was more neutral. If I set everything to 5, it sounded like... how I think my guitar sounds. With this amp, I keep finding myself saying "ok, fender, too much treble, so I guess I'll turn down the treble..." or "ok, marshall, too much bass, I guess I'll turn down the bass..."
So. yeah. I will keep messing with it. I think the pedal was just being weird... since that first time it's been mostly fine.

PS I actually did read all the harmony central reviews for this amp. they all loved the shit out of it. except a few guys who had such issues as "all the notes are all wobbly!" (doesn't know how to turn off the tremelo) or "the sound is so weird... it cuts them off really fast" (doesn't know how to turn off noise reduction.) I really like how the AC30 sounds, though. That one is awesome.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 30, 2007, 01:43:04 am
You motherfuckers is crazy. I look forward to learning more about the playing of the guitar, so I can actually take some benefit from this thread. My lovely wife and I rocked out considerably last evening - it's kind of nice to have the rhythm section living in the same house.
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on June 02, 2007, 08:35:39 pm
so. yeah. I was right. it makes my distortion pedal sound... wimpy. The volume turned up all the way on the pedal sounds the same as when it is at 10%. Goddamn. The distortion is very much... under control.

and now, looking around on craigslist, I think I am in love with a loud, shitty, cheap amp. I won't jinx it by giving details, but I emailed the guy. Made by some company I've never heard of. The reviews basically all say "this thing is gold."
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: Limmo on June 03, 2007, 08:37:44 pm
and now, looking around on craigslist, I think I am in love with a loud, shitty, cheap amp. I won't jinx it by giving details, but I emailed the guy. Made by some company I've never heard of. The reviews basically all say "this thing is gold."

And the name of this company is...?
Title: Re: play an instrument?
Post by: theinevitable on June 03, 2007, 08:54:28 pm
Westbury.

this one. (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Westbury/250/10/1)