The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 08:58:57 pm

Title: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 08:58:57 pm
Arbuckle (http://www.tailsteak.com/arbuckle/) is a work where a bunch of artists are doing Garfield in a realistic style.  (That is to say, "Garfield" doesn't talk and everything tends to look a bit less cartoony.)

The interesting thing, I think, is that it turns from a comic about a "sassy" lazy cat with punchlines, to a story about a completely sad and lonely guy who's quite possibly delusional.


Which is, of course, waaaay more interesting methinks.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: wombat on February 27, 2006, 09:02:20 pm
a story about a completely sad and lonely guy who's quite possibly delusional.


Which is, of course, waaaay more interesting methinks.

Gosh, I wonder why.   ;)
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 09:03:55 pm
We are always able to smell our own.


Speaking of which I have to feed my cat when I get home.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Drygioni on February 27, 2006, 09:07:17 pm
I've seen this somewhere before, and it's no less funny now than it was then. Did Garfield actually ever talk to John anyway? Wasn't it was all thought bubbles, that implied Jon was some kind of psychic?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: side_show on February 27, 2006, 09:16:05 pm
I love this.  Love it.

I am so into the idea of adapting the old strips that I just might do.  Actually do it.

Also, as a kid I was totally crazy about Garfield.  And he definitly never spoke - it was all thought bubbles.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on February 27, 2006, 09:18:19 pm
I've seen this somewhere before, and it's no less funny now than it was then. Did Garfield actually ever talk to John anyway? Wasn't it was all thought bubbles, that implied Jon was some kind of psychic?

As far as I'm aware, going back to my old-school childhood Garfield-geek days, Garfield has never actually talked; all of his dialogue has always been in thought bubbles. This means one of two things:

1) Jon is an unusually good judge of Garfield's character, since he can have coherent one-sided conversations; or
2) The thought bubbles are Jon hallucinating or otherwise being delusional.

Anyway, this is a great concept. It's both more pitiful than the original and more endearing, since the behavior can actually be mapped to something a real cat would do. I'm intrigued to see if they attempt to render any of the strips that don't involve Jon at all, just to see how it'd end up working out. Along those lines already is this one (http://www.tailsteak.com/arbuckle/index.php?date=030215), in which Jon's lack of dialogue turns things modern-artsy very, very fast.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: CortJstr on February 27, 2006, 09:34:52 pm
Garfield did speak in one of the (text) books. It was revealed all cats can talk but they usually don't because then nobody would like them. This book is so obscure that the Garfield entry in wikipedia doesn't even mention it.

There was a Garfield Randomizer a few weeks ago that came down almost immediately. It would pull up 3 random Garfield panels which often made about as much sense as the regular strip. This inspired the Dinosaur Comics Randomizer which I believe is still up.

Then over at truthandbeautybombs.com  (the Dino Comics forum) they decided to do the Garfield Existentializer where they removed all animal thought bubbles so you got to see the strip from John's actual perspective. It was depressing as hell but I think they were forced to pull it down.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: wombat on February 27, 2006, 10:24:55 pm
It was revealed all cats can talk but they usually don't because then nobody would like them.

Eh, then they'd have to get jobs and pull their own damn weight, the lousy parasites.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: lprkn on February 27, 2006, 11:37:36 pm
Remember, if you died, your cat would eat you. So make sure you feed it. A lot.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on February 27, 2006, 11:41:21 pm
ahaha http://www.tailsteak.com/arbuckle/index.php?date=030215
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: side_show on February 28, 2006, 12:06:28 am
Remember, if you died, your cat would eat you. So make sure you feed it. A lot.

But really, wouldn't it be better to not feed your cat a lot, so that, you know... they'd have less of an appetite in general?

My SO and I talk about this... perhaps more than we should, but there are three of them and two of us so, we worry.  We figure it would take some time for them.  He says it would take only 2-3 days!  I think it would take more than that - at least a week or more.  We've concluded one thing that we do agree on:  they'd probably start with our eye balls, being that they are soft and moist.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2006, 01:52:15 am
Apparently if you're stranded and you manage to catch a rabbit, you should make sure to eat the eyeballs, as they contain valuable electrolytes.

This is what someone who went to survival school told me. He also said the eyeballs taste really bad.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on February 28, 2006, 01:57:16 am
Back in Scouts we had this thing called the Rangers.  I was in it one year and they were basically like the Navy Seals of Scouts.

Long story short I survived for a couple days off ants and sassafras leaves (which taste like orange peels).  I was not happy at all, this is not me.

I also cooked a potato in mud so it would not burn and heated an egg using a rock like a pan.  You have to make sure it isn't flint first though.


Did I mention I hated Scouts?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2006, 04:42:48 am
oh man, sassafras! the only plant I can identify!

didn't it make your spit all wierd?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on February 28, 2006, 04:49:55 am
Yes.. but I don't think anyone on here really wants me to describe my spit.


Remember: Football, Ghost, Mitten.  That's how you know it's sassafras.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Ben-San on February 28, 2006, 06:06:48 am
Remember: Football, Ghost, Mitten.  That's how you know it's sassafras.

If you respond correctly to the recognition sequence will it sell you illegal recreational chemicals?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on February 28, 2006, 06:15:34 am
If you respond correctly to the recognition sequence will it sell you illegal recreational chemicals?

Only if you show up on the corner between 3:15 and 4:15 like we talked about.

And your mom said you had a package of lightbulbs too. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02072005)



(For the real answer this (http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/pictures/sass_08.jpg) is all you need know.  If you see all three of those on one tree you can eat them and continue living, but only if you really NEED too.  They taste terrible.

Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Tangle on February 28, 2006, 07:12:33 am
Can I just say I love this thread. Garfield to eating eyeballs to wilderness survival to recognizing sassafras leaves. THE MORE YOU KNOW.

And Q, what you wrote about your Rangers experience sounds like a Really Crap Time. Sorry about that.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on February 28, 2006, 01:25:52 pm
Can I just say I love this thread. Garfield to eating eyeballs to wilderness survival to recognizing sassafras leaves. THE MORE YOU KNOW.

And Q, what you wrote about your Rangers experience sounds like a Really Crap Time. Sorry about that.

It is okay tangle.  I do not blame you I assure you.


I am just glad I am not in a place where my only possessions are a plastic tarp and a book of matches.

I am glad I am not fighting off mosquitoes under said tarp during the evening.

I am glad my breakfast consists of a banana and soymilk instead of very bitter leaves.


These things and more am I that glad for.  UNF
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2006, 06:57:09 pm
Did I mention I hated Scouts?

When it comes to the BSA, individual mileage will definitely vary. I know that I loved my time in Scouts, that is until I moved back to Idaho, and the only troop for miles was a Mormon one. So I joined them because I wanted my Eagle, and watched as they skull-fucked everything out of Scouting that I liked in the first place.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2006, 07:46:36 pm
When it comes to the BSA, individual mileage will definitely vary. I know that I loved my time in Scouts, that is until I moved back to Idaho, and the only troop for miles was a Mormon one. So I joined them because I wanted my Eagle, and watched as they skull-fucked everything out of Scouting that I liked in the first place.

Man, that is some serious scouting there Porkin'.

I have a scouting story.  I was never a member, but my brother was for a time.  One Saturday afternoon there was a spaghetti dinner fundraiser.  I was there and one of my friends who also had a brother involved were there playing outside.  Everyone else is inside the clubhouse.  We got into a game of follow the leader.  I should mention that the spaghetti dinner was held in the club house of a local little leauge park.  So i'm following Andy around and he begins to climb around on the bleachers.  I was in the fourth grade so I guess I was about 9 or 10 years old.  Andy climbs up under the bleachers and starts skinnying along a pipe under there.  I tried to follow him, but being the fat kid I could only go so far and got trapped underneath the pipe.  I couldn't get back on top so I fell and broke both of my arms.  I sent Andy to get my Mom, but he came back a minute later without her.  So I got fuckin' pissed and told him to go get my Mother in a more forceful manner.  So she comes out and is instantly horrified by what she sees.  My bone was sticking out of my wrist.  She panics a little bit, she's not really good in a crisis until she calms down.  But she got me up and took me to the car and got me to the hospital.  It didn't occur to me until much later, but there were dozens of men there, scout leaders, and not a single one of them lifted a hand to help me or my Mother.  They all saw me and what condition I was in, but not one of them even stopped what they were doing.  The only person that helped was my Mother's friend Maddie.  So in conclusion I say fuck the Boy Scouts.  They're homophobic pricks too.

~Paul
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Drygioni on February 28, 2006, 07:53:25 pm
I joined the scouts for six weeks, and while I do not have any wonderful stories to tell I can honestly say it was the worst club that has ever had me as a member. During the first week I joined, I fully applied make-up to myself and wore girl's clothes. Says a lot, really.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Golfhaus on February 28, 2006, 07:59:24 pm
I was in the Cub Scouts for about two months. I thought the uniform would be neat, and Mom wanted to get me off the Nintendo. I had a good friend in Cub Scouts, but because of geography we were in two seperate groups. The one I was in was full of degenerates. I would get headaches from all the yelling and carrying on. Hated it.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: AugustWest on February 28, 2006, 09:32:45 pm
I am an Eagle Scout.

Scouting was a good experience for me.  However, based on my experiences, I have a couple of comments.

1.  I was in at least 5 different troops in 3 different towns.  One was great, the others were varying degrees of mediocre.  This depended entirely on the individuals involved, especially the leaders.  I don't think it's a great idea categorically dismiss a large group of people based on a few.  That being said, Paul your story is highly disturbing.

2.  The exception to non-prejudice rule expressed in no.1 -- every professional Scouter (i.e. full-time, paid, regional staff person, not volunteer troop level person) was invariably a prick of the highest order.  I ascribe the homophobia to these guys.  I never experienced an inordinate level of homophobia in my scouting experience (other than what you'd expect from a group of 12-15 year old boys).

3.  While we camped and hiked and did other scout type stuff, we never did anything vaguely like what Q described.  That shit is intense.

Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2006, 11:24:12 pm
I also am an Eagle Scout, and it's true, the quality of your experience is directly proportional to the quality of people involved. I think that's true of pretty much any volunteer organization.

Let me just say that I don't mind Mormons, but what they do to Scouting is definitely not helping it along any.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2006, 11:30:52 pm
I've only known one eagle scout personally and he was really one of the worst people i've ever known.

~Paul
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Ben-San on February 28, 2006, 11:49:56 pm
I was in the Cubs, but I am not really an outdoor-type person and didn't stick with it. While I was there I did get my first chance to experience anti-Semitism, though, so learning experience there.

I know some nice guys who are Eagle Scouts and also some crap dudes who are Eagle Scouts, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that being a successful Scout says less about how good a person you are and more about how dedicated a person you are.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on March 01, 2006, 12:23:53 am
My best friend from like Kindergarten until my sophomore year in high school was (and still is) a Mormon. He was in scouts as were all 4 of his brothers. I think his sister was in girl scouts. The thing I want to know is, What did you Mormons do to Scouts? His dad was a troop leader so I'm curious.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: lprkn on March 01, 2006, 03:13:18 am
Well, to understand how Mormons have screwed up Scouting, you need to know how it's supposed to work.

Scouting is first and foremost a voluntary system for boys to learn about the world around them, and their place in it. Camping and the outdoors are the main tools that are used to teach the boy what he needs to know in order to be a good citizen of his community, nation, and world. Proper moral behavior is part of being a good citizen. From day one, the Scout is taught and expected to know the Scout Oath (On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, and to obey the Scout Law. I will help other people at all times, keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight), the Scout Law (A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.), and the Scout Motto (Do a Good Turn daily).

Leadership (and followership) is also highly valued, and the Scouts should take a lot of time instilling into the boys, formally and informally, the tenets and values of leadership. Boys are given many opportunities to lead in the troop, and a well-functioning troop should be boy-run.

These are just some of my personal thoughts on the subject. The Mormons made Boy Scouting the official program for their boys , and proceeded to turn it into a mandatory Eagle Scout factory.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2006, 03:27:55 am
I was a Girl Scout for six years, from first through sixth grade. (This means, in technical terminology, that I was a Brownie and a Junior.) I enjoyed it well enough, mostly as an excuse to go to summer camp and do field trips during the school year. Aside from the annual cookie drives (I sold cookies door-to-door in the snow!), the entire operation was incredibly low-pressure, which is probably why I stuck with it.

Judging by my own experiences and those of Scouts of both genders I've met, it seems like Boy Scouts is much more of a "you're in or you're out" phenomenon than Girl Scouts. With Boy Scouts, either you do it for a few months and quit, or you stick with it all the way to Eagle and maybe beyond; with Girl Scouts, you basically do it until some other social environment becomes shinier. Maybe this was because we had a classically casual Girl Scout troop (I think we never had troop leaders beyond people's moms), but even now I know far fewer people my age who were involved in Girl Scouts for the long haul than Boy Scouts, and far fewer people still involved in the organization at any level. Any more anecdotes of this sort that we can inappropriately pluralize into data?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 01, 2006, 02:46:09 pm
Another Eagle Scout here.  I pretty much echo what AW said--any fun I had while in Boy Scouts was due to the presence of friends there, and had little to do with the BSA itself.  Many of the leaders were dicks.  I did enjoy a nice camping trip, though, as long as there wasn't too much hiking involved.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2006, 03:51:03 pm
Camping? Hiking? Man you guys went to weird summer camps. At my camp we read The Oddesey and studied the impressionists like normal people.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on March 01, 2006, 03:56:28 pm
I feel like I might have missed something as a child. The only scouting I did was going with my sister and her girl scout troop to Cosi (http://www.cosi.org/home/?&fl=1) one weekend. Damn, that place was fun. I felt a little wired being the only dude there though but it was cool because I got my mack on at an early age. Worst part was having to all sleep in sleeping bad on the hard wood (parquet?) floor of a large gymnasium at a near by school.

Not that off topicness is bad or anything but after posting I noticed that the original idea behind this thread was Arbuckle. I think I'm going make one because I like that sort of stuff. Anyone else going to try their hand at creativity?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Emmoh on March 01, 2006, 04:17:47 pm
I feel like I might have missed something as a child. The only scouting I did was going with my sister and her girl scout troop to Cosi (http://www.cosi.org/home/?&fl=1) one weekend.

Not to be mistaken, I'm assuming, with Cosi, home of the squagel (http://www.xandocosi.com/index_main.htm)
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobot on March 01, 2006, 05:54:54 pm
Camping? Hiking? Man you guys went to weird summer camps. At my camp we read The Oddesey and studied the impressionists like normal people.

At (one of) my summer camps, we took classes in Biology in a basement lab located near the morgue.  We saw a forgotten toe tag laying on the floor, near a puddle of mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid!
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2006, 06:18:09 pm
At (one of) my summer camps, we took classes in Biology in a basement lab located near the morgue.  We saw a forgotten toe tag laying on the floor, near a puddle of mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid!

Man, and I thought Sketchy Art Camp was a good move, all faking the end of West Side Story with a giant cooler of red Kool-Aid. Any summer camp with mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid has to win!

(When I started this post, I thought that read just "forgotten toe," not "forgotten toe tag," and I thought your summer camp experience was much, much better.)
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on March 01, 2006, 06:30:36 pm
Man, and I thought Sketchy Art Camp was a good move, all faking the end of West Side Story with a giant cooler of red Kool-Aid. Any summer camp with mysterious, vaguely reddish fluid has to win!

(When I started this post, I thought that read just "forgotten toe," not "forgotten toe tag," and I thought your summer camp experience was much, much better.)

Isn't there a story like that?  The Haunted toe?

Where like an old gentleman says that his son can have his entire fortune as long as the son wears his toe on a chain around his neck.  He does so for twenty years, until one night he meets a beautiful woman who is horrified by it.  Any right minded person would be of course.  She says she will not share a bed with him unless he removes it, which he of course does because she is intelligent, funny, and comely.

He loses all his riches immediately as the ghost of his father's toe berates him. He doesn't care, however, because he has found true love!  The ghost of his Father's Toe  is so moved that he not only restores the boy's riches but also buys the whole baseball team Ice Cream cones!  The End *


Also I am totally making this up.



Cynical Ending: He loses all his riches and the woman immediately loses interest in him.  But if you really want your fairy tales that way, seriously, jump off a bridge already.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2006, 06:48:30 pm
I think the cynical ending is that the father hired her to tempt him into removing the toe. She never found him the least bit attractive at all. At all. GOD NO. I mean, have you seen this guy? If anything the toe actually helped because it was at least made him interesting some how. But not enough to sleep with.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on March 01, 2006, 06:53:11 pm
I think the cynical ending is that the father hired her to tempt him into removing the toe. She never found him the least bit attractive at all. At all. GOD NO. I mean, have you seen this guy? If anything the toe actually helped because it was at least made him interesting some how. But not enough to sleep with.

Even further cynical: Not only did the father hire her, but it was his MOTHER!
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Emergent_C on March 01, 2006, 09:17:31 pm
Also, the dude was an idiot and the toe was just a Cheeto all along.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Gimpson on March 02, 2006, 01:34:29 am
I never did get to do the summer camp thing.  I did spend a good deal of time at OMSI (http://www.omsi.edu/) watching instructors such as freeze hot dogs in liquid nitrogen and shatter them, but I never did an overnight there.  I went to exactly one weekend camping trip during CCD before I dropped out of confirmation.  My summers were mainly spent in my home town riding bicycles around town. 
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 02, 2006, 04:06:09 am
one of my friends went to a summer program for future doctors.
she dissected a person.

this horrifies me.


also: I was a cub scout. one year, I had the best car in the pinewood derby, but it fell off the track and broke. so I got exactly 1 place behind the place where you got a trophy. I, in a style which I have now realized is my trademark, ran away and hid in a small space. (this + wanting to bury embarassing things in my yard = reminding myself of roast beef)

my neighbors went to the boy scout store and got me a little pinewood derby pin. that made me pretty excited.

oh, to be 7 and in cub scouts.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: miles on March 02, 2006, 04:23:36 am
Also an Eagle Scout.  I learned how to burn stuff, and the camping was fun.

It was a big deal where I lived, so for someone like me who didn't give two fucks about it, I still had to give two fucks about it.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobot on March 02, 2006, 05:08:45 am
one of my friends went to a summer program for future doctors.
she dissected a person.

this horrifies me.

Real doctors get to dissect people while they're still alive!

(The doctors and the patients both, that is.)
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Lister on March 02, 2006, 11:20:25 am
I was in cub scouts and boy scouts because my friends were (mostly).  It was basically fun until the junior high ages, when I realized that all the scouts who got put in positions of authority were some combination of suckup, prick, and asshole.  They took great pleasure in their very small amounts of power, and failed to realize that the organization was not meant to provide them with proles to lord over.

In this manner it prepared me well for adulthood.

Also, I loved Garfield when I was a kid.  I had a stuffed Garfield toy that said different things when you pulled the string.  I was confused by Lorenzo Music's name on the credits of the specials.  I collected all the books through like 20, when it finally dawned on me that I wasn't going to get any more new jokes.  Bloom County, The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes pulled me away.

I think Garfield killed Lyman and his whole "act" is a desperate attempt to distract us from the case.  He and Liz were chopped up and mailed to Abu Dhabi in crates.

Lots and lots of very small crates.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Doc on March 02, 2006, 12:56:23 pm
One of my (more dickish) friends in high school was in scouts, actually when i knew him he was in the next thing up for older folks called 'venturers' (this is the australian organisation which I doubt bears much resemblance in structure to the american, but maybe it does) which means they still basically did hiking and stuff, just by themselves instead of with a vageuly unsettling guy in his late thirties.
They were generally pretty decent geeky people though the only time I met them was when I went to lan parties they had at the scout den. Good lan parties though.

Actually on reflection the guy I knew was probably the worst person in that group: totally anal retentive, chauvanistic yet full of knee jerk feminist propaganda which he inherited from his mother, a not overly bright intellectual elitist (he liked to say 'that's bunk' far more often than was healthy or accurate) who once told me he didn't think the theory that the universe will eventually expand and cool completely was true because it depressed him.

Damn, turns out I've still got some highschool angst there.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Gimpson on March 02, 2006, 05:31:33 pm
one of my friends went to a summer program for future doctors.
she dissected a person.

this horrifies me.

We had two cadavers in my high school Anatomy & Physiology class.  This didn't strike me as odd until I got to college and realized I was the only one whose school did this. 
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Emergent_C on March 02, 2006, 07:02:39 pm
What would've been cool is if you'd had them in English class, to enhance the experience of studying such as "The Tell-Tale Heart" or "As I Lay Dying" or whatnot.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobot on March 02, 2006, 07:34:55 pm
What would've been cool is if you'd had them in English class, to enhance the experience of studying such as "The Tell-Tale Heart" or "As I Lay Dying" or whatnot.

Then, if the teacher really got into it, you could get tons of corpses and recreate the final scene of "Hamlet" or go fuck*n' crazy with "Titus Andronicus"! 

The possibilities are endless, and the opportunity is YOURS.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 02, 2006, 10:45:28 pm
man...
speaking as the only boy in my bio class who couldn't deal with dissecting a foetal pig...
dissecting a human body is maximum gross out.
that is the most a man can possibly be grossed out

I am not proud.

But I am proud to not be the kid who thought it would be cool to break open the skull of the pig to look at the brain.
that kid was not fun.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Drygioni on March 02, 2006, 11:39:27 pm
From Garfield to Scouts to dissection! This is evolution.

No matter how ill it may be to dissect real human bodies, it is far more terrible dissecting one, single eye. As if the bits of still attached face, spurting of black eye fluids and the thoughts of 'wow it must really hurt to have your eyeballs sliced up, Un Chien Andalucia style' weren't enough, our teacher refused to tell us where the eyeball came from.

My eyeball was a rather fetching pretty hazel, and I someday hope to find out if it belonged to a real human girl/boy, so I can dream about gazing lovingly into their eye(s). It was the most beautiful eye I had ever seen. It probably belonged to a cow, though.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 03, 2006, 12:19:37 am
But I am proud to not be the kid who thought it would be cool to break open the skull of the pig to look at the brain.
that kid was not fun.

Only a real weirdo would enjoy it. I didn't 'enjoy' it but it was pretty interesting and educational.

I would fliunk a kid who completely refused.  I would try to find some compromise, though.

 You don't have a right to not be grossed out or uncomfortable. SOmetimes that's what life hands you.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: wombat on March 03, 2006, 12:35:04 am
None of that stuff is half as scary and discomfiting as Hobot's new avatar.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 03, 2006, 12:39:35 am
dawg-- to clarify: I didn't refuse to be involved. I poked around and pointed out the organs we were supposed to find.  I just refused to do the actual cutting up of baby pig.

the teacher said he wouldn't let us actually sit out and not participate completely unless we were vegetarians. I eat meat, so, I participated.
I mean, seeing the organs and such was interesting. But the act of cutting up the pig really bothered me.

anyway...
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on March 03, 2006, 01:03:08 am
None of that stuff is half as scary and discomfiting as Hobot's new avatar.

Don't you dare mock her new avatar.


Seriously, I will cut you esse....

The tortilla commands it!
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobot on March 03, 2006, 02:16:58 am
dawg-- to clarify: I didn't refuse to be involved. I poked around and pointed out the organs we were supposed to find.  I just refused to do the actual cutting up of baby pig.

the teacher said he wouldn't let us actually sit out and not participate completely unless we were vegetarians. I eat meat, so, I participated.
I mean, seeing the organs and such was interesting. But the act of cutting up the pig really bothered me.

anyway...

I am a vegan and I dissected the fetal pig.  Highlights included: the fact that it had eyelashes, which made it seem somehow more like an ex-living creature than a rubbery, smelly prop; forcing the jaw to break so we could see the back of its mouth and its throat; digested food in the intestine; and trying to crack the skull to see the brain but, failing that, scraping away at the skull with a scalpel for a period of time.

My reasons for dissecting were that I am a Bio major and need to be mature about these kinds of things, and that the pig would only have been thrown away if not used for scientific purposes and would therefore have died completely in vain (you don't get much more "in vain" than a baby pig in a dumpster).

The supply of fetal pigs, if you were not aware, is dictated by the pork market (apparently there is such a thing; because economics makes me have seizures of boredom, I did not know this).  Pigs are slaughtered when the price is right, whether or not they are pregnant.  Since people don't want to eat fetal pig, there is no use for the fetuses, and they are discarded.  This is the way of the wasteful, wasteful world.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 03, 2006, 02:59:36 am
what made me sad was the slice taken out of its shoulder.
one slice. bam.

yeah, I mean, it wasn't that I was morally against it. I just have a really weak stomach.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: robot_god on March 03, 2006, 03:02:31 am
In two weeks I begin the second half of a biomed lab III in which, until the end of the semester, will be nothing but injecting live mice with drugs.  The last lab of the series features a lab where you inject mice with a drug to induce a seizure, then inject a drug to halt the seizure.  Pretty effed up.  I'm not looking forward to it, but 'bite the apple and fuck the whore' as my dad claims was the saying in the Marines.

Biomed II was cutting up all kinds of things, mostly rats and assorted other organs from various animals.  The first week it seemed pretty nasty, because the rats were so yellow, but by the end of that class, not a single person would be unwilling to cut anything or anyone.

Lots of interesting moments in that lab, mostly provided by the lab assistants doing inadvertently wacky things.  One dude trying to expose bronchial tubes of sheep lungs, trying to pull the tubes out, pretty tough to tear them out, pieces of lung flying left and right all over the place.  Some girl accidentally snipping off a rat's c*ck.  Searching for rat clit with a tweezer.  Displaying exit points of  sheep heart blood vessels by fingering.  Tight little thing, that is, you really got to work it...
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: robot_roll_call on March 03, 2006, 09:23:12 pm
Finally! A thread I can relate to!

2 of my better friends are Eagle Scouts. One of them has the most overbearing mother in the world, so that's one way to become an eagle scout.

I was a scout from Tiger Cubs all the way up to...I think Life Scout? The patch with the heart on it? 2 year running Pinewood Derby champ, motherfuckers. Although it's really a competition to see who's dad can make the best car, and my dad was in engineering at the time. So my car went down that ramp like a rocket pig on grease, all setting everyone else's doorstops on fire, all breaking the land speed wood car record. Those were the days!

I was maybe a year from getting my Eagle, and I quit because I hated camping, and because the new leader was a total prick. So there goes your hypothesis, V. Although I also quit Tae Kwon Do when I had my red belt (1 away from Black) because I hated it and I was terrible at it. So I guess I have a habit of quitting things 3/4 of the way in.

I've dissected a lot of gross things in my life. One time I had to dissect a dog heart. Being a dumb kid, I held it with my bare hands. Gross.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: pmcd9 on March 03, 2006, 09:42:33 pm
2 of my better friends are Eagle Scouts. One of them has the most overbearing mother in the world, so that's one way to become an eagle scout.

The Eagle Scout (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2595.msg57817.html#msg57817) that I knew was totally driven by his Mother.  Totally.  I was in Cub Scouts for a year and she was my Den Mother.  She would brag on him incessantly.  She continued bragging on him long after he became a drain on society.  Last I heard he (along with his Father and one of his Brothers) was in prison for some kind of bad nastiness.  I can't remember exactly what it was they were into.  Something about insurance fraud involving arson and manslaughter.  I wonder if she is still bragging?

~Paul
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 03, 2006, 10:06:06 pm
*****_roll_call-- yeah. the year me and my dad actually made the car, it was horrible. Then, our neighbor who had some kind of fancy electric saw thing helped us. that car was magic. I think I still have it in my closet.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on March 04, 2006, 04:49:25 am
Only a real weirdo would enjoy it.

I enjoy cracking open skulls and looking at brains. I've done live rat decap-and-inspects, and while they are gross and unnerving and strange, I am grateful to have had the experience.

You can't make a coherent field of study dedicated to the brain without cracking a few skulls.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: wombat on March 04, 2006, 05:01:01 pm
I've done live rat decap-and-inspects

Oh man, I had no idea there was such a thing.  Next time I am apologizing to the mice for killing them, I will tell them to be thankful at least that I am not doing this.

It does sound kind of cool though.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 04, 2006, 09:23:48 pm
my biology teacher met his wife dissecting frogs.
they had to mash frog's brains while the frog was still alive (I guess they left the brain stem functioning, so the heart would still beat, etc.).
She didn't have the stomach for it, so he'd do it for her.

ah, young love...
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on March 04, 2006, 09:33:54 pm
Oh man, I had no idea there was such a thing.  Next time I am apologizing to the mice for killing them, I will tell them to be thankful at least that I am not doing this.

It does sound kind of cool though.

WARNING: DETAILS ABOUT RAT-KILLING FOLLOW




It is sorta cool.

The deal is that, in most situations, you first use a CO2 chamber to gas the rats to death or deep unconsciousness, then decapitate for study. However, with some experiments you're looking at brain chemistry, and death by CO2 disrupts chemical balances in the brain and thus destroys your data; therefore, for experiments like that, you need to do a direct decapitation. Everyone hates doing this, but it's necessary and it's interesting.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 05, 2006, 03:08:01 am
WARNING: DETAILS ABOUT RAT-KILLING FOLLOW




It is sorta cool.

The deal is that, in most situations, you first use a CO2 chamber to gas the rats to death or deep unconsciousness, then decapitate for study. However, with some experiments you're looking at brain chemistry, and death by CO2 disrupts chemical balances in the brain and thus destroys your data; therefore, for experiments like that, you need to do a direct decapitation. Everyone hates doing this, but it's necessary and it's interesting.

And, I hope, to most people, 'yucky-but-necessary' rather than 'enjoyable-and-sexually-arousing'.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2006, 03:19:46 am
And, I hope, to most people, 'yucky-but-necessary' rather than 'enjoyable-and-sexually-arousing'.

You say that like those are mutually exclusive!

Er, seriously, though: I would be lying if I said that there wasn't any enjoyment in the process, and it's not of the Nice-Pete-ish variety. Theoretical exercises are all well and good, but eventually one has to confront the actual brain of a living being. It... regrounds one in what exactly all of this science is for.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 05, 2006, 06:24:30 am
so:
the purpose of all the science is to know what you're doing when you decapitate a rat.
ok.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: wombat on March 05, 2006, 02:52:41 pm
A wise being once said, What we need more of is Science.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2006, 11:58:20 pm
so:
the purpose of all the science is to know what you're doing when you decapitate a rat.
ok.

More or less. It's important to not go around decapitating rats willy-nilly, unless of course they're compromising your crops.

or you have a sexual fetish, I guess
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: misterqueue on March 06, 2006, 12:09:16 am
More or less. It's important to not go around decapitating rats willy-nilly, unless of course they're compromising your crops.

or you have a sexual fetish, I guess

It's not sexual.  Those rats begged me.  BEGGED ME!  Did you see they way they were dressed?  They totally wanted it! 

All scalps out and showing off.
All begging me to stare at their pulsing little brains.

IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN!
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Doc on March 06, 2006, 04:24:35 am
I really want to add something to this but I've never disected anything cool (or from memory anything above crustaceans apart from a few mammal organs) despite a three year science degree. Damn chemistry.
Though I have held a preserved and cross-sectioned human head. But that wasn't as creepy as you'd think, I spent half the prac trying to decide if it was real or rubber, I decided real because otherwise someone went to the trouble of putting really short hairs onto the scalp so it looked like it had it's head shaved which would be a creepy amount of detail.

Anyway what I was saying was I have nothing to say except to re-state that this conversation started with garfield. Way to go people!

Actually garfield to rat decapitating does have a certain thematic cohesion, if garfield weren't so lazy anyway.
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 02:32:28 pm
A variation on the remove Garfields thoughts from the cartoon idea (http://lakini-malich.livejournal.com/365513.html).

Read now before the cease and desist order arives.

~Paul
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: Hobot on March 15, 2006, 03:49:44 pm
A variation on the remove Garfields thoughts from the cartoon idea (http://lakini-malich.livejournal.com/365513.html).

Read now before the cease and desist order arives.

~Paul


"Now where are my ******?"

Where indeed, Jon?  Where indeed?
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2006, 04:31:32 pm

"Now where are my ******?"

Where indeed, Jon?  Where indeed?


I wonder if JD is aware of this dichotomy in his work, if it's part of his thinking when he writes the strip.  The fact that Garfield only thinks he doesn't speak leads me to believe that he does.  Garfield is an ordinary cat and he and Jon live in separate worlds, they don't really communicate with one another.  It's funny that Garfield has been around for what? pushing 30 years and we are only now figuring this out.  Of course it's not enough of a premise to suddenly make Garfield something I want to read, but it is interesting.

~Paul
Title: Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
Post by: theinevitable on March 15, 2006, 08:25:48 pm
who is that person? that posted the comics?

they made a Llewelyn Ash reference.