The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 07, 2006, 09:11:57 pm
-
OK, I periodically have started recent shows threads, so here is a new one to celebrate my return (and if that doesn't beg for celebration, I don't know what does).
Anyway, my Strokes tix just came in the mail today. I'm pretty jacked about this, as I haven't seen a show in a bit. I liked the first two albums, so that's good.
Also, for Slink: They're playing with Eagles of Death Metal.
Feel free to comment on the Strokes, Eagles of Death Metal, or other shows you have recently seen or will see soon.
-
I haven't seen much music over the last few months other than local nerdcore act Bacon Shoe (http://www.myspace.com/baconshoe). I'm very excited this month to see Of Montreal and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah over in Lawrence.
Also, this year's Bonnaroo (http://www.bonnaroo.com) lineup is so good that my hippie-hating girlfriend wants to go. Unfortunately, we have to go to Nantucket for my sister's wedding the week beforehand and can't afford to do both. (Seriously Jen, could you possibly have chosen a less convenient place for your wedding seeing as nobody on your side of the family lives east of Wisconsin?)
-
Oh, and if anybody is considering seeing Cirque de Soliel's Delerium show, I beg you to reconsider. I have enjoyed CdS in the past, but this show is like CdS with less acrobatics and more music and bad dancing. I'm glad I didn't pay for my tickets, but I feel bad for my gf's parents who did...
-
I saw a Deep Purple tribute band in a pub recently, and before that a Smiths tribute band in a small hall. They were both good. The music scene around the Cotswolds is non-existant. Bryan Adams is playing Swindon however, following in the footsteps of Reginald Dwight and many football teams.
If anyone in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire etc. knows of ANY good bands performing, for the love of God I need to know.
-
Also, for Slink: They're playing with Eagles of Death Metal.
Buh... Himmel... Fnar... Yillingrun..
Damn you! Unless they do something over here after the new album comes out, I am pretty much resigned to never seeing EoDM live. That said, having seen more recent live QotSA stuff I really want to see them again. And then there's all the other bands I need to see! My brother and I were going to go and see Gogol Bordello in Glasgow, but his hip is all fucked up so we had to give up on that one. God damn cripples!
-
I just saw Low, and will see The New Pornographers twice in a couple weeks, one time opening for Belle & Sebastian. I'll also see Ghostface the same week (my droogs!). Low was really disappointing.
-
Haven't been to any shows in awhile. I guess I got tired of shows that featured mostly the following types of bands, suck-tastic trend-hopping indie bands and indie has-beens still attempting to ride on their flavor of the month status back in 95 or so, and the only people excited to see them are aging hipsters who remember those glowing reviews in those really cool zines back then.
-
I just saw Low, and will see The New Pornographers twice in a couple weeks, one time opening for Belle & Sebastian. I'll also see Ghostface the same week (my droogs!). Low was really disappointing.
The New Pornographers, where? I've been doing concert searches for this area and I am finding not much. It's not a good sign when the radio is relentlessly promoing a 38 Special show coming up in April.
~Paul
-
The New Pornographers, where? I've been doing concert searches for this area and I am finding not much. It's not a good sign when the radio is relentlessly promoing a 38 Special show coming up in April.
~Paul
Hold on loosely, Paul, but don't let go! If you cling too tightly, you're gonna lose control!
-
Hold on loosely, Paul, but don't let go! If you cling too tightly, you're gonna lose control!
You know, i've heard that song probably hundreds of times, but only just now reading that did I realize it was about masturbating.
~Paul
-
I second the pan of CdS's Delerium. I HATE HATE HATE world music and I knew I was done for the second the opening act had dueling bongo solos.
Way too much singing and dancing, not enough muscular Russians throwing each other into the air. Ticket sales were so bad for the performance I attended that my guest and I (who got free tickets in the upper section) were moved to seats about 30 feet behind people who paid $100 each for floor seats. Even then, it was a terrible experience.
I saw Sigur Ros a few weeks ago. It was a great show and I was moved to tears by two songs, but it still paled in comparison to the time I saw them on the ( ) tour. The vocals and crazy bowed guitar sounds are truly moving, and they know how to put on a minimalist Euro video show that will give a dead man chills. See them if they come to your town.
ALSO SUGGESTED: The Black Keys, an Irish play called The Weir in which nothing happens but you don't get bored, and Early Man.
-
The SO just saw Sarah Harmer and said it was a good show. The started taking requests and played at least one Weakerthans cover.
-
ALSO SUGGESTED: The Black Keys, an Irish play called The Weir in which nothing happens but you don't get bored, and Early Man.
Early Man are all kinds of excellent.
-
If anyone in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire etc. knows of ANY good bands performing, for the love of God I need to know.
This is the best I can do for you (http://www.openviewonline.com/home.asp). Seeing as how I live in Los Angeles and all.
-
In the past two months I've seen The Bad Plus and Kenny Garrett at jazz clubs in the city. Last big venue shows were probably this jam/rock/cover band Umphrey's McGee and this jam/funk/jazz group Medeski, Martin, and Wood on halloween. Oh and in December I went to The Musical Box's Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour. They're a Genesis tribute band, but "tribute band" does not really do them justice, I've got to call them a recreation band. Saw the exact same show a year before it, but it was worth doing again.
If you are a Genesis fan and they ever come around to your area, they are basically a must-see.
-
Umphrey's McGee are playing this month or next around here.
-
I saw Sigur Ros a few weeks ago. It was a great show and I was moved to tears by two songs, but it still paled in comparison to the time I saw them on the ( ) tour. The vocals and crazy bowed guitar sounds are truly moving, and they know how to put on a minimalist Euro video show that will give a dead man chills. See them if they come to your town.
You saw Sigur Rós? I am terribly jealous. Did they play mostly songs from Takk, or did they mix it up a bit? I would have loved to see them during the ( ) tour.
I saw the opening show of Béla Fleck and the Flecktones' new tour, but I've mentioned it on another thread.
-
Umphrey's McGee are playing this month or next around here.
They sure put on a great show. Not only do they have amazing songs and jam sections live, they covered King Crimson, Allman Brothers, some kinda hardcore metal song, and for the encore they had Huey Lewis come out and play two songs. Went about three hours, pretty outstanding show.
Thousand times better live than their recordings, which are pretty decent anyway.
-
Sorry, Paul. I'm spending a week up in Seattle, so I'm seeing them up in that area.
Anyway, yeah, not much in the way of shows so far this year, but Built to Spill and Calexico should be touring extensively behind their upcoming albums, so cross your fingers. Both bands usually make in this way if they are in the Western US. Also, Band of Ho rses, which seems to be an OK band, will be in Salt Lake this Saturday. I might go to that one.
Actually, I keep a list of shows I'm thinking about checking out:
- Sat 03/11/06 Band of hosss Kilby Court
- Tue 03/28/06 Gatsby's American Dream In The Venue
- Sat 04/01/06 Rocky Votolato Velour Provo
- Sun 04/16/06 Dinosaur Jr. The Depot
- Fri 04/28/06 Pretty Girls Make Graves Avalon Theatre
- Tue 05/02/06 Acid Mother's Temple Kilby Court or Urban Lounge w/The Antacticans?
- Wed 05/24/06 Gatsby's American Dream Avalon Theatre
All shows are in Salt Lake unless otherwise noted. Gatsby's American Dream and Rocky Votolato are only OK. I'm only going because I know some of the guys, and I might not even go even given that.
As far as stuff down your way...good luck.
-
03/18: Mudhoney. Bleh. A friend of my wife invited me to go and meet the band (he knows them) last time through, but I didn't go. This is a CD release show.
03/22: Ghostface Killah. Who am I kidding?
03/22: Death Cab for Cutie and Franz Ferdinand. Firstly, they're charging way too much and it's at the Coliseum. Also, I've seen them both in smaller settings.
03/31: Dirtbombs. I like them, but I'll be at work.
04/08: John Doe. This might be cool. Again, I'll be at work.
04/08: The Umphrey's Mcgee show. See above.
04/26: Yeah Yeah Yeahs. No, no, no.
05/04: Sigur Ros. Hmm, work.
05/28: The Steven Seagal Blues Band. (http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1013575) Read that again. I'd rather the guys from .38 Special move into my basement and practice there for the rest of my life than have the Steven Seagal Blues Band even exist. Steven Seagal has the blues? Steven Seagal is a carrier of the blues. Jesus, who came up with this idea? Dan Aykroyd and John Goodman?
07/16: Slayer. OK, now I'm just fucking around.
I think we'll go to Spike & Mike's this weekend.
-
Steven Seagal is a carrier of the blues.
Whoa, something about many people in my life has suddenly become crystal clear.
-
The Steven Segal Blues Band? Wow. Actually, I'm happy that exists, just for comic value. I'm thinking instead of a harmonica solo, Segal presents a virtuso performance of load-bearing bone breaking (using pool cues, beer bottles, bar stool supports et al) all the while wearing the slightest grimace on his passive mug.
Then he impales you on a severed guitar neck. EXCELLENT!
-
9 February 2006: Children of Bodom. Quite enjoyed it overall, the other people at the show made me feel old though. No mosh pit for me.
1 March 2006: Toto. Yes, Toto. Now a couple of years back I practically barfed if I heard a Toto song anywhere (meaning if I heard Africa anywhere, seeing as that was the only Toto song I recognized), but then something happened. I don't know if GTA Vice City is to blame or what, but I started listening to them first with a ironic, detached, "man this AOR stuff is funny and lame" attitude, but it all went horribly wrong and I found myself enjoying the music enough to go see them. Alone, naturally, seeing as I didn't even dare suggest to any of my friends to go with me.
And it was god damn GREAT. Band started on time. No unnecessary support acts. The best sound I've ever heard in the crappy old Helsinki icehall. And there's just something about seeing a band on stage that absolutely enjoys what they do, and enjoys being there, and enjoys playing for the people. I got shivers during several songs and afterwards couldn't stop smiling. Yeah, I guess I AM old.
21 April and 22 April 2006: Anthrax. Okay I'm still not crazy about the fact that they got rid of John Bush to get the "classic" line-up going again (yes it does smell like money), but who am I kidding - this is going to kick ALL SORTS OF ASS.
Also, I heard tix go on sale next Monday for a Guns N Roses show in July. O...kay. I'm a little torn about this. Maybe I should just hang on to my memories of the two great GNR shows in '91 (or was it '92?) instead of going to see Axl, a guy with a bucket on his head, and some other wankers.
Wow, I do ramble don't I.
-
In the last few months Ive been to see these bands. I guess its mostly American bands you guys are talking about but there must be a few UK people here.
Little Man Tate, Bromheads Jacket, Milburn, Vincent and the Villains, The Chalets, Azuma Vega, Kiwis Ned, Headstock, Graham Coxon, Stuffy & The Fuses, The Noisettes, The Rakes, Louie, The Veras, Chuck, Repomen, General Dissaray, The Sufrajets, Dirty Pretty Things
Little Man Tate are the best by far, probably the best live band in the UK at the moment. Anyone who gets a chance should go and see them. Bromheads Jacket are also very good as were The Rakes. The rest are either up and coming bands or local support or just plain bad.....anyways get yourselves to some gigs UK dudes.
-
I'd rather the guys from .38 Special move into my basement and practice there for the rest of my life than have the Steven Seagal Blues Band even exist. Steven Seagal has the blues? Steven Seagal is a carrier of the blues.
I gave you a tcodp for that, but then I had to take it away because I nearly choked on my tea.
[insert name here] HAS the blues, they're a carrier of the blues. Man I love it, Its' pure comic gold. It kills. Kills!
~Paul
-
Let's see. I saw The New Pornographers in October at 9:30 with Destroyer opening (Immaculate Machine opened for them, but we were late and missed them). Dan Bejar could not have seemed less interested in being there. He only came out for 3 NP songs, had to be coaxed out each time, and didn't even bother to set his beer down. Carl Newman's speaking voice was higher than I expected. At least once both keyboard players were using those little plastic keyboards that you have to blow into. Classic.
In November was one of Mary Pranksters last ever shows before retiring the character at Jammin' Java. It was great fun and more than a little sad. I really wish she'd gone back to her old philosophy of "no encores, I just play every song I know straight through" because there were a couple of songs that I wanted to hear one last time. She at least played her cover of Don't Bury Me by The Shit (does anybody have the original version of that? I'd love to hear it).
Local legends Colouring Lesson have played a bunch of shows since reforming but they keep picking dates that down't work for me. Dave Hill must hate me.
-
Toto.
I have to admit that I checked Toto's tour page just a few weeks ago and was pretty upset they weren't coming close to Kansas City. I've been on a somewhat unfortunate (but very, very smooth) Yacht Rock kick lately. The Doobie Brothers are going to be within a day's drive in August, though.
-
Dan Bejar could not have seemed less interested in being there. He only came out for 3 NP songs, had to be coaxed out each time, and didn't even bother to set his beer down.
He seemed downright stumbly drunk in Lawrence, KS.
-
9 February 2006: Children of Bodom. Quite enjoyed it overall, the other people at the show made me feel old though. No mosh pit for me.
I would go and see these guys, but every time I see their name, I assume they meant Children of Sodom, and the first few times they played someone misread the line-up.
1 March 2006: Toto. Yes, Toto. Now a couple of years back I practically barfed if I heard a Toto song anywhere (meaning if I heard Africa anywhere, seeing as that was the only Toto song I recognized)
No, you know the song Roseanna. It's the really famous one, about David Arquette's big sister.
Also, Ministry is playing here soon, but I just know Alien would be all on the nod and shit.
-
You saw Sigur Rós? I am terribly jealous. Did they play mostly songs from Takk, or did they mix it up a bit? I would have loved to see them during the ( ) tour.
Mostly Takk, which I'm still getting to know, but they did play a few that I recognized from Agaetis and (). I don't really think of their songs as individual pieces, so I'm not the best source for details.
-
I saw The Kids in the Hall at a tiny theatre in Hollywood two weeks ago. They were trying out new material. It was so great to see the five of them onstage, and even greater to see them crack each other up. One of the sketches started out with Dave Foley and Scott Thompson arguing at the back of the theatre and proceeding to the stage. On the way, Dave Foley bumped into me and apologized. Scott told him "You don't apologize to a WALL!" Then they argued furiously right in front of me while the audience laughed at my discomfort.
Good times.
-
I went to a show that makes the feeble attempts the rest of you have been posting look like watching a retarded man who is crying and promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken someday.
Good times.
Fixed that for you.
-
I would go and see these guys, but every time I see their name, I assume they meant Children of Sodom, and the first few times they played someone misread the line-up.
I really don't know how to respond to that. :) However, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bodom_murders) is where the name came from. The More You Know
No, you know the song Roseanna. It's the really famous one, about David Arquette's big sister.
Again, I don't know if you're kidding or not. You are a difficult man to get a read on sir. But Rosanna, yeah, I knew that song but never connected it with Toto, whereas Africa was the one I knew - and thought that the lyrics went "pretty boy she's waiting there for you". Which kind of bothered me.
Man, me in 2003 would give me in 2006 such a beating.
-
I really don't know how to respond to that. :) However, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bodom_murders) is where the name came from. The More You Know
Wow - that same thing happened in Anchorage when I was growing up. Four teenagers, camping out, some lunatic comes along and kills three of them. It actually happened in a park right in the city.
I know, I'll start a band called Children of Russian Jack. Well, maybe not.
Anyway, thanks for the knowledge.
-
Not to derail the off-subjectedness...
The most recent show I caught was The Hackensaw Boys at the Tin Angel in Philly. I had seen them once before as an opening act for The Reverend Horton Heat (my all time favorite), they were awesome. It was even better seeing them in such a small venue, there were probably less than 20 people in the crowd, but they played like it was a packed arena.
If given the chance, try to check them out sometime.
-
I really don't know how to respond to that. :) However, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bodom_murders) is where the name came from. The More You Know
I think I would have named the band Hans Assman.
-
I went to a show that makes the feeble attempts the rest of you have been posting look like watching a retarded man who is crying and promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken someday.
Good times.
Fixed that for you.
I got my picture made with John Darnielle (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1794.msg36654.html#msg36654), but that wasn't recently. Weeps...
~Paul
-
I think I would have named the band Hans Assman.
Fortunately I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.
-
I think I would have named the band Hans Assman.
Look no further if you would like a brilliant band name.
(http://www.tricklefan.com/)
EDIT: Noisy webpage, thankfully my speakers are broken so only other people are inflicted. Enjoy!
-
Look no further if you would like a brilliant band name.
(http://www.tricklefan.com/)
Oh, I know all about Dick Trickle (and dick trickle, but that's another, much more disturbing thread). Also, you might want to toss out a warning when linking to something so unpleasantly noisy.
-
Wow - that same thing happened in Anchorage when I was growing up. Four teenagers, camping out, some lunatic comes along and kills three of them. It actually happened in a park right in the city.
I know, I'll start a band called Children of Russian Jack. Well, maybe not.
If we're going to name bands after weird Alaskan crimes, I call dibs on a jam band called Where's Joe Vogler?.
-
Bob Hansen's big game trophies! (http://www.explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa021100a.htm)
Also, from there: Although the Pope & Young people initially stated that Hansen's crimes did not invalidate his bowhunting records, they have since removed his name from their record books.
I'm not going to write it, but you best believe I'm thinking it.
There's also: The man who tried to murder a town! (http://influx.uoregon.edu/1998/mccarthy/)
-
So I made it to see Band of hosss (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/BOH/DSCN11474-E-1024.jpg) Saturday Night. Not too Bad. I was really hoping to meet Miles, but he diidn't show. I waited for 30 minutes in the 20 damn degree weather while they tried in vain to get their van door open (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/BOH/DSCN11486-E-1024.jpg) so I could finally take this picture (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/BOH/DSCN11487-E-1024.jpg). The openers Slender Means (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/BOH/DSCN11457-E-1024.jpg) was pretty good too. They were eager to get their picture made (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/BOH/DSCN11484-E-1024.jpg) by the Kilby Court sign.
~Paul
-
Way to rub it in, Paul.
-
For AugustWest (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,845.30.html), I'd like to point out that John Anderson of Yes is playing in Portland on March 28th.
-
Jon Anderson without Chris Squire is a huge mistake. Is he still doing the Christian Prog thing?
~Paul
-
Jon Anderson without Chris Squire is a huge mistake. Is he still doing the Christian Prog thing?
~Paul
I have no answers, but I can now say that he recently recorded an album entitled The More You Know (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:i9ouakokjm3l), which seems somehow fitting. Also, he recorded with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:p22ibk090akx), which somehow(e) strikes me as odd.
-
he recently recorded an album entitled The More You Know (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:i9ouakokjm3l)
Wow, check him out on the record cover. He's totally stuck in the 80's... Suit with open shirt, no tie and wide lapels, blowdried big hair, dark sunglasses. That is amazing. He needs to do an album of standards.
Eye gotchooo under my skin...
~Paul
-
Just to bump this thread:
My college is bringing in Robert Randolph and the Family Band along with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah this spring. Do any of you have any experience with these bands, and if so, should I try to get a ticket?
-
I've only heard a few Robert Randolph songs; they're tagged as a "jam band" a la Phish or Dave Matthews. I think they have more soul than those two put together. I bet they put on a good live show; I'd go see them, if they were on my campus and tickets weren't too expensive.
-
I've heard from several people that CYHSY is disappointing live. I usually can't listen to their album through in one sitting (though I like individual songs) so I can totally see how that would be true.
-
Robert Randolph is awesome - if you like electric blues or funk. Awesome.
As for CYHSY, I don't think I could deal with the singer's voice for an hour at a time - that would be far too painful.
Some of their songs are good, though.
-
Just to bump this thread:
My college is bringing in Robert Randolph and the Family Band along with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah this spring. Do any of you have any experience with these bands, and if so, should I try to get a ticket?
I got turned on to a Robert Randolph boot and I was very disapointed. I like Jam music, but this is just bad music IMHO. Maybe he was having an off night, it's possible, but I don't like it.
~Paul
-
I dig me some Robert Randolph. But I've never heard CYHSY. But hooray for seeing Robert Randolph! Hopefully they are good for you....they do seem to be one of those bands made for live performances...
-
I dig me some Robert Randolph. But I've never heard CYHSY. But hooray for seeing Robert Randolph! Hopefully they are good for you....they do seem to be one of those bands made for live performances...
http://www.clapyourhandssayyeah.com/mp3/Tidal_Wave.mp3
http://www.clapyourhandssayyeah.com/mp3/lostAndFound.mp3
-
I am going to see The National on Friday and current league leaders in excessive name coolness, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness on Saturday...but the exciting stuff for this Chicagoan is coming up this summer with Lollapalooza (http://www.lollapalooza.com) and Pitchfork Music Festival (http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com/). Intonation (http://www.intonationmusicfest.com/) is also returning this summer, but without the curation of Pitchfork (which they had last year), they aren't able to serve up much more than some overhyped British rappers.
-
some overhyped British rappers.
I've got new batteries in my redundancy alarm!
-
I'm going to see Pink Mountaintops (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/p/pink-mountaintops/axis-of-evol.shtml) Saturday night. I saw Steven McBeans band Black Mountain (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3616-E-400.jpg) last year in Houston and really dug it. Wow, according to this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1794.msg36681.html#msg36681) it was exactly 1 year ago.
~Paul
-
Thanks for those, Jstr...I think I can never listen to that guys voice ever again. :)
-
Thanks for those, Jstr...I think I can never listen to that guys voice ever again. :)
Yeah, it's kind of like when I first heard a Strokes song. I wondered why he used such a weird voice for that song before discovering, "Oh. He just sounds like that. OK then."
-
I'm going to see Pink Mountaintops (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/p/pink-mountaintops/axis-of-evol.shtml) Saturday night. I saw Steven McBeans band Black Mountain (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3616-E-400.jpg) last year in Houston and really dug it. Wow, according to this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1794.msg36681.html#msg36681) it was exactly 1 year ago.
Enjoy it man. Wish I could go, but I'll be stuck up in (beautiful) Seattle seeing Belle & Sebastian and The New Pornographers.
-
Enjoy it man. Wish I could go, but I'll be stuck up in (beautiful) Seattle seeing Belle & Sebastian and The New Pornographers.
Enjoy. BTW, Neko Case is going to be on the Tonight Show tomorrow tonight (http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/music/).
~Paul
-
Enjoy. BTW, Neko Case is going to be on the Tonight Show tomorrow tonight (http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/music/).
~Paul
It's time for someone to trot out the nude photos again.
-
It's time for someone to trot out the nude photos again.
Yes I asked for this several months ago, but no one obliged. Pretty Please, if someone knows where to find those photos please post a link.
~Paul
-
I had 'em on my other computer, but alas . . .
-
Too bad Neko Case has that butterface.
-
C'mon man, you're better than that.
-
Yes I asked for this several months ago, but no one obliged. Pretty Please, if someone knows where to find those photos please post a link.
~Paul
Awwwwwwwww, dammit. I found the old post with the link (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,769.msg13653.html#msg13653), but it's now 404. And I stupidly didn't save the pictures themselves when I had the opportunity. Dammit!
This one's quite lovely though. (http://www.sympathyrecords.com/calendar/2000/february2000.html)
-
Ultimate Dream: To come back in the next life as a set of bagpipes.
No fair - she took mine.
-
This one's quite lovely though. (http://www.sympathyrecords.com/calendar/2000/february2000.html)
Indeed.
~Paul
-
I went to see Freddie Hubbard this evening. He basically rocked. He did not play trumpet, though, the entire night he was playing a flugelhorn. I was suprised: with a 25 minute intermission, the show went almost three hours. He is 68 years old.
By far the funniest mic banter I've ever heard. The most difficult part of the show for him was to remember the band members's names.
Man, I hope I can still dance around when I am 70 years old.
-
damn.
I'm going to have to decide between seeing Built to Spill and Dinosaur JR.
Both are playing in Chapel Hill. Which is about 3 hours away. I'm trying really really hard to convince my parents it's OK for me to drive up there. so. I'll most likely have to pick between the two.
damn.
-
damn.
I'm going to have to decide between seeing Built to Spill and Dinosaur JR.
Both are playing in Chapel Hill. Which is about 3 hours away. I'm trying really really hard to convince my parents it's OK for me to drive up there. so. I'll most likely have to pick between the two.
damn.
If they give you permission for one, but not the other just take the car and do both. What are they gonna do, you'll be three hours away in Chappel Hill. If they don't give permission for either just steal the car. You might want to steal some money too while your at it.
~Paul
-
I went to see Freddie Hubbard this evening. He basically rocked.
That's excellent, Freddie Hubbard cooks.
-
OMG I lied
buiilt to spill just cancelled that part of their tour, and moved all the dates to much later in the year.
they'll be in St Louis in september. I'll be living there. All is solved.
-
OMG I lied
buiilt to spill just cancelled that part of their tour, and moved all the dates to much later in the year.
they'll be in St Louis in september. I'll be living there. All is solved.
Built to Spill is coming here?
Hrm... tickets must be acquired. This is necessity.
-
It's just too bad I don't live there anymore.
-
If you live in St. Louis, Riddle of Steel is a band that you should be viewing frequently. They are rad.
-
OK, so, this local band is going on their first US tour following their gigs at SXSW. They will be opening for The Fall. They are awesome, I've met them a couple of times, and the fellow who owns their label used to live next door to my girlfriend. they are awesome. I think my gf's dad is following them around for part of the tour.
anyways, this is the tour:
Tues. / May 2nd
Austin, TX
Stubb's Small Room
w/ The Fall
Wed. / May 3rd
Houstin, TX
Super Happy Fun Land
Thurs. / May 4th
Dallas, TX
Gypsy Tea Room
w/ The Fall
Fri. / May 5th
El Paso , TX
Magoffin Theatre
w/ The Fall
Sun. / May 7th
Phoenix, AZ
Brickhouse Theatre
w/ The Fall
Tues. / May 9th
San Diego, CA
House of Blues
w/ The Fall
Thurs. / May 11th
Pomona, CA
The Glass House
w/ The Fall
Sat. / May 13th
Los Angeles, CA
Knitting Factory
w/ The Fall
Sun. / May 14th
San Francisco, CA
The Independent
w/ The Fall
Tues. / May 16th
Portland, OR
True West
w/ The Fall
Thurs. / May 18th
Seattle, WA
El Corazon
w/ The Fall
Sat. / May 20th
Vancouver, BC
Richards @ Richards
w/ The Fall
Tues. / May 23rd
Boise, ID
TBA
w/ The Fall
Wed. / May 24th
Salt Lake City, UT
TBA
w/ The Fall
Fri. / May 26th
Boulder, CO
Boulder Theatre
w/ The Fall
Sat. / May 27th
Kansas, City, MO
Record Bar
w/ The Fall
Mon. / May 29th
Minneapolis, MN
Varsity Theatre
w/ The Fall
Tues. / May 30th
Chicago, IL
House of Blues
w/ The Fall
Thurs. / Jun. 1st
Ny, Ny
Knitting Factory
w/ The Fall
so. Try to go! I don't know if it will be hell of expensive because it's the Fall, or what, but... go for The Talk!
you can hear some of their stuff at... www.morisen.com . They have a video that's pretty good. also, http://www.the-talk.com/
please check them out!
also, the video eventually zooms in. I think they thought the sillhouette thing was cool.
-
I saw that Pink Mountaintops show last weekend. On the album they're more sedate than Black Mountain, but they rocked out on stage.
Pic (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Bands/DSCN11895_6_7_901_6_9-E-S-1024.jpg)
~Paul
-
Whoa. The Fall is coming to Utah.
I too am really excited for Built to Spill. Looks like they'll be hitting up Salt Lake, and I'll probably make one of the LA or SF shows.
I saw The New Pornographers a couple weeks ago. I was really disappointed that Neko Case didn't tour with them, but very pleased with the setlist both nights I saw them (but, come to think of it, it was almost identical both nights). They were opening for Belle & Sebastian the second night I saw them, and I was so tired (from previous night's activities) that I barely made it through The NP set, and left B & S a bit early. But they really were great. Their new material is wonderful live.
-
Whoa. The Fall is coming to Utah.
I noticed that, but where are they going to play?
~Paul
-
I just found it. They'll be at the Depot, a new-ish venue downtown-ish. It's $15 bucks (http://depotslc.com/events/2006/5/25), apparently, which seems good for that place. They have some expensive shows there. I think I might go, even though, for some reason, I'm not a huge fan. It just seems like an opportunity not to be missed.
Dinosaur Jr (http://depotslc.com/events/2006/4) is playing there on 16 April. It's $20, and I want to go to that. I'm kind of broke, though, and need to start thinking about Built to Spill travel plans.
-
Whoa. The Fall is coming to Utah.
What, sometime around September 21?
-
No, about five months early!
You know, I resisted that when I posted it originally.
-
I'm a sucker for a lame joke.
-
dang.
I found out that the dinosaur Jr concert is this thursday. not this friday.
in a town 3 hours away.
so I can't go. Dang.
-
I live in Hoboken. The Pietasters are playing at Maxwell's in Hoboken this Saturday, 10:00PM. The World/Inferno Friendship Society is playing at my college on Saturday, 7:30PM. If the earlier show is punctual, this is probably going to be a day so amazing I will probably die.
-
<Bugs Bunny Voice>HOBOKEN??!!</bbv>
-
Maxwell's coffee and Pie Tasting. Is there going to be music at this shindig?
~Paul
-
Hoboken is actually a nice place now - it's been way developed and rents are getting higher by the year. I was looking at living there for a while, but Jersey City is the new Hoboken - cheap living and easy access to The BIG CITY.
-
My brother lives in Hoboken. From what I've seen, it's not so bad.
-
Yeah, I basically hate cities, but as far as cities go, Hoboken is pretty nice. If you stay on Washington street and east of it, you pretty much can pretend that the whole place is just this happy little yuppie/college town. A lot of my favorite bands seem to play here, though generally when I'm not actually present, so this is a change of pace. And yeah, when it comes to hoboken, parking and rent are just retarded.
-
I haven't the vaguest idea what Hoboken is actually like. Just reading the word evoked the image of Bugs Bunny at the South Pole with the little tap dancing penguin whom he returned home in the mistaken assumption that that was where he lived. Then the penguin hands him his business card with his Hoboken home address.
So, I'm not trying to badmouth anybody's hometown.
-
I, on the other hand, am a native of New York City and it is therefore my birthright to make fun of Hoboken and similar locales. The description of it as a 'happy little yuppie/college town' made me giggle. But hey, you go, Jersey.
-
Oh, it's total yuppie-ville now. There's a similar area of Philly - Manayunk - that used to be slums until developers bought up all of the slums and put up high priced condos and new shoppes and restaurants and stuff. Now poor people can't even afford to look at Hoboken and Manayunk.
-
Oh, it's total yuppie-ville now. There's a similar area of Philly - Manayunk - that used to be slums until developers bought up all of the slums and put up high priced condos and new shoppes and restaurants and stuff. Now poor people can't even afford to look at Hoboken and Manayunk.
It must be yuppi-burgh if they have 'shoppes.'
~Paul
-
My favourite yuppie-ism is a strip mall that is named something like "The Shoppes At ________" where the blank is something like "Haven Meadow" or "Manayunk Hills" or "Monument Valley" or something.
There is a shitty apartment complex near here called "The Ridley Mews."
What the fuck is a mew?
WTF?
-
Oh, it's total yuppie-ville now. There's a similar area of Philly - Manayunk - that used to be slums until developers bought up all of the slums and put up high priced condos and new shoppes and restaurants and stuff. Now poor people can't even afford to look at Hoboken and Manayunk.
Manayunk is quite nice; my parents and I ate at a restaurant there and walked around a bit when I was considering Bryn Mawr as a college choice. I was amused that there was a Vespa dealership across from where we ate dinner.
Also, from dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mew):
"3. mews (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
a. A group of buildings originally containing private stables, often converted into residential apartments.
b. A small street, alley, or courtyard on which such buildings stand."
-
"Mews" : Incredibly pretentious fake British thing to call a crummy apartment complex.
-
Was it Dave Barry who proposed a tax on superfluous Es in store names? I think we should do that.
-
Was it Dave Barry who proposed a tax on superfluous Es in store names? I think we should do that.
It was indeed. $50,000 per superflous e/ye. But 3 in one store name gets the death penalty.
-
The world/inferno show was completely ridiculous. They are an incredible band. Unfortunately, too many people seemed to hurt themselves by crowd surfing that the people running it cut their electricity. So, the singer and the accordion player just waltzed about in the audience for a bit instead, singing and playing without the aid of electricity. It was great.
Also, one of the bands on before them was Mischief Brew, a one-guy outfit. Really good stuff, sort of a traditional folk-punk of some sort.
I'm not very good at describing bands, am I?
And then I ran off to the pietasters, who were an hour and a half late, so the two shows overlapping worked out fine. They put on an even better show, if that is possible, in spite of all the yuppies in the audience, giving glares at the people who were there to actually have a good time. I was first trying not to bump into any of the people who decided that the front row was a good place to stand still, but then I decided, fuck it. If they don't appreciate the motion, they can move.
It was kind of weird that some of the speakers were held up with milk crates. I'm surprised we didn't destroy them.
-
Frank Black (great show), and I very nearly beat a guy who was smoking (in a non-smoking club) senseless. Also, resurrecting a long-dead thread? Love it.
-
We thought Nabu was working his butt off in some lonely cold place with no Internet access for all these months, and it turns out it's just that he's been too busy going to clubs. Is that my heart I hear breaking or just the cats knocking something off the dresser again?
-
We thought Nabu was working his butt off in some lonely cold place with no Internet access for all these months, and it turns out it's just that he's been too busy going to clubs. Is that my heart I hear breaking or just the cats knocking something off the dresser again?
Oh you stop it, Wombles. You know I love you. I've just been worshipping you from afar. There's always a place for you to stay if you make it to PDX, though (if you don't want it to be afar).
-
That Nabu, you always have to forgive him and take him back, what can you do?
-
That Nabu, you always have to forgive him and take him back, what can you do?
What the hell's that quote?
"Home's the place where, you come back and they figure they have to take you in, you go through their dresser drawer, lift their wallet, burn the place down and blame it on the cat."
Well, it's some shit like that.
-
Frank Black (great show), and I very nearly beat a guy who was smoking (in a non-smoking club) senseless. Also, resurrecting a long-dead thread? Love it.
I caught Frank Black here in PDX. Oh man. Man oh man. Manmanman. I miss the Catholics, but the guy is always awesome live. This was my 7th time seeing him.
Here's him playing an unreleased song while he was here. A new favorite: Frank Black - The Water (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gt4jmZM9q10) (Link goes to YouTube.)
Edit: On going to the next page - Oh whoa. I guess you saw that same show.
-
I caught Frank Black here in PDX. Oh man. Man oh man. Manmanman. I miss the Catholics, but the guy is always awesome live. This was my 7th time seeing him.
Here's him playing an unreleased song while he was here. A new favorite: Frank Black - The Water (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gt4jmZM9q10) (Link goes to YouTube.)
Edit: On going to the next page - Oh whoa. I guess you saw that same show.
?
Why are we not getting loaded together and going to shows? Or, on the off-chance that you don't drink, why am I not getting loaded and having you drive me to shows?
-
I saw Joanna Newsom (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/321499779/) last night. fuck*ng Awesome!
-
I saw Joanna Newsom (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/321499779/) last night. fuck*ng Awesome!
You are taggin' like TURK 182 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090217/), Paul.
-
?
Why are we not getting loaded together and going to shows? Or, on the off-chance that you don't drink, why am I not getting loaded and having you drive me to shows?
I've been working crazy hours since I moved to PDX in August, so I haven't been able to make it to many shows yet. I caught the Who at the Rose Garden, and then FB at the Wonder Ballroom. (Though I did see Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black there night before last).
I'm starting to be able to live in Portland now, so we'll have to see what shows are coming up and have a TOUAMB West-Siiiiide meet.
-
shows I have seen since moving to St Louis:
-the awesome band with zombie-singer I mentioned in the thread about Nice Pete's band
-a pretty bad indie-pop band that played with them
-Guster (I vomited a little bit. it was for free, and I had never heard them.)
-Built to Spill-- Lovely.
-RJD2-- I felt like I was missing something. People enjoy him a lot, I think.
-I would have gone to the Midwest Noise Fest 2006, but it would have taken like 1.5 hours to get there-- the nearest metro stop was... not near. and my friend who is from st louis said it was in a questionable part of town.
-
-Built to Spill-- Lovely.
Yeah, they play here a lot. Of course, I'm always at work when they do, so that kind of pisses me off.
A buddy of mine who produces local bands had a chance to go to their recording sessions here (the brother of a friend of his is in the band). He's jaded though, so he was happier sitting on the couch and watching Family Guy.
-
Went to see the Pogues last night. So good, I actually cried, but that was probably caused by that fat Brummie pogo-ing on my broken toe. If you ever, ever get the chance, go see them, they're really fuckin' amazing. Shane can't talk anymore but he can still sing and shriek like some crazed ghoul of the night.
-
oh, also, the Mountain Goats were pretty good, and free. So I guess that was a complete win.
-
I missed him last year, so I think I owe it to myself to see James Brown in Times Square at B.B.King's Club on New Years Eve. Last year was 100 bucks standing room, and by the time I had it worked out, it was sold out. B.B.King is such a rapist, 35 dollar entrees, 12 dollar martinis, heftier than all the famous jazz clubs in the city.
-
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, thanks for being the only show I got kicked out of for having weed. Seems a little incongruous.
-
ATTENTION INTERNET: I AM SEEING GUNS N ROSES TOMORROW NIGHT.
HOPEFULLY IT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN.
Since moving to Los Angeles, I find my rate of concert going is down but the quality is up.
October, Roger Waters. November, Adrian Belew. December, Guns N Roses.
(We were going to go see Cursive but realized that though I like Cursive, I probably wouldn't like the sort of young rich semi-emo scenesters that would show up at a Los Angeles Cursive show. Roger Waters and Adrian Belew crowds were full of stoned fat men in their early fifties and Guns N Roses will be full of stoned fat men in their late thirties. I will be a drunken fat man in my late twenties. I'll pretty much be in my element.)
-
I saw Guns and Roses about 2 years ago. They are calling themselves Velvet Revolver now.
-
Depends on your perspective, really.
In terms of songwriting, GNR was really pretty much just Axl and Izzy.
And sonically, the defining point was definitely Axl's... voice.
While Slash's guitar has one hell of a sound to it and the others were certainly proficient... the mercenaries Axl put together as the new GNR are across-the-board more technically proficient as musicians than any iteration of the original band.
Of course, as someone who counts King Crimson and Guns N Roses as two of my top three, I may be examining GNR in a fairly Crimsoid way as... most GNR fans probably wouldn't.
-
Apparently Izzy showed up last night and played five songs with them. So maybe you'll get lucky.
Actually, you're already lucky, because you're not seeing them at the Staples Center!
-
Apparently Izzy showed up last night and played five songs with them. So maybe you'll get lucky.
Actually, you're already lucky, because you're not seeing them at the Staples Center!
Hell, maybe Buckethead'll show up! At this point, I'd rather see a guy wearing a KFC bucket than the plastic surgery disaster that is Axl's face.
Maybe they'll play their one good song - "Ain't it Fun"!
We miss you, Crocus Behemoth.
-
Maybe they'll play their one good song - "Ain't it Fun"!
Wow. A Dead Boys cover is the only GNR song you like?
-
That was the show I was at!
And... GNR's still got it. Axl's still (mostly) got it. The back-up band is as tight as a band can possibly be where there's, like, five guitars three pianos and a drum going on.
Oh, the Suicide Girls were surprisingly unexciting and... Helmet was irredeemably terrible and... Sebastian Bach was hilariously terrible but...
Man, what a show. A 20-song set plus, like, four solos? Five songs off the mythical Chinese Democracy, five or six songs with Izzy sorta there? Can't beat it with a stick.
-
Wow. A Dead Boys cover is the only GNR song you like?
I'm going to refer to that as a Rocket from the Tombs cover, hence my little reference.
Also, did you know that Sebastian Bach's brother played in the NHL?