The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nuero on March 17, 2006, 08:26:59 am

Title: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: nuero on March 17, 2006, 08:26:59 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03172006

It's alright. Ray seemed a bit more accepting of his victory this time around.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: evan on March 17, 2006, 08:30:14 am
ah hahahahaha
Suddenly. everyone was run over by Jeeps!
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: talgkjertel on March 17, 2006, 08:34:25 am
I loved this strip, it really builds up the tension. Look at Beef shaking!
Can't wait till Monday.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: antioch on March 17, 2006, 08:36:22 am
 You've made your bed, now severely beat your friends in it! isn't the topic. How come.

 I can't see this ending very funny. I'm expecting a strip with no dialogue and bloody fists. The violence and creeping darkness of this arc is going to have some serious (though probably reversible, still sad) backlash for the main characters.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: LCB on March 17, 2006, 09:09:51 am
Or we end with the tower in flames...

Ray and Beef striding away from the 3 Acres, their faces set in grim expressions, faces streaked with soot..

Their former allies rush up to ask what happened but upon seeing the look in their eyes give them some space as they stride away to the motorcycle and drive off without a word...

And then next Monday, Teodor will have humorous exchange with Lyle over a current TV series, or Mr. Bear will find himself typing away at what he considers genre hackwork for income and the strip goes on.

Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: acoxcae on March 17, 2006, 09:15:03 am
And so we come to a crossroads.  Of course, I think we all saw it coming (I didn't think that Beef would just lay down [I mean, he would, but that it wouldn't actually happen]), so now Ray might actually have to beat him.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if he can do it.  I could probably see Ray starting to beat him, Beef trying to defend, until after about 5 minutes they're all A BLOO BLOO BLOO and in come the Jeeps.

Or Ray calls the mayor and has the tower judges arrested.  I could see that too.

Anyway, since I'm probably not right on either count, I can't wait for Monday!
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Lister on March 17, 2006, 09:17:33 am
I love how the jeeps bring some unspecified horror.  It's scarier because you can imagine that they're full of whatever is the most frightening thing to you.

My jeeps would be driven by Bob Saget and Carrot Top, and the passengers would be clowns that move and sound like the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: pez on March 17, 2006, 10:25:14 am
Panel 6 is all how'd-we-do awestruck attention. The penultimate panel is all naked fear. Beef emotes terror so well. He knows, he knows.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Cynicar on March 17, 2006, 10:34:47 am
Well, at this point, it seems clear that neither of them is willing to fight the other.  And that dialouge from Rodney?  Totally sets them up as a team.

So the conflict has moved from Beef vs Ray to Beef and Ray vs. The Man.

The Man with the Jeeps, signified by the Rodney/Ramses.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: theinevitable on March 17, 2006, 12:25:05 pm
beef will destroy
he has never been handed anything in his life
but he is abou to dish it out.


or, as I seem to remember someone saying: "your mom is driving you to school in the minvan of pain"
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on March 17, 2006, 12:26:31 pm
As you may have noticed, I am beating you with your own goggles.

I am sorry about this Beef.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 12:26:46 pm
The arc is getting old for me. I'd totally like to see the next strip with Ray and Beef both in Heaven, drinking some crispy Stellas, talking about how badass it was that they both killed each other simultaneous-like, and then Blister walks in with some hot women and a bong or something. Hilarity ensues.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 17, 2006, 12:30:30 pm
Still room for a Beef victory.  I'm sure he knows the simple move that will take down Ray with one blow.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 12:33:33 pm
Still room for a Beef victory.  I'm sure he knows the simple move that will take down Ray with one blow.

If no one would respect Ray for winning a fight with only three victories (thus necessitating Beef's ruse), then no one would respect Beef for winning with one victory. We TALKED about this.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on March 17, 2006, 12:50:22 pm
Unlike most I'm not going to talk about what is coming up next, I'm sticking to the current strip. I thought it was pretty funny and that's always good for, you know, a comic. Mr. Smuckles provides the badassery (bad-ass-ery) and the funny! Plus I thought the Alt Text was hilarious. I may have LOL'd I'm not sure.

"Roast Beef do I need to hush him?"
"Hush Ray"
*Rays face at this point is priceless!*

And the Jeeps, one can only imagine. This is a run down of my brain thinking about the jeeps first that the jeeps may just merely run them down, or maybe there are blades sticking out on the jeeps and they just did a run by. A drive by with guns? Oh shit like a WW2 jeep all anti tank gun on top? But who drives it? Shit maybe THAT'S the scariest part. Who is driving? Oh my god BEAR IS DRIVING? How could this be (at this point I start think about Clerks and just leave the computer. I came back to finish the strip)"
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2006, 12:55:50 pm
No no no.  You all have it wrong.  They are going to walk away and not fight.  No one is going to hit anyone.  I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: sensate on March 17, 2006, 01:03:37 pm
"And the father and child reunion/
Is only a bloodbath away."

I imagine the Jeeps scenario involves chains and circling and whooping, maybe carried out by the people Ray beat down. I wonder, though, how Beef managed to forget about the Rules.

(Oh, and,  called it (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2628.msg59082.html#msg59082).)
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Dr. Sodomy on March 17, 2006, 01:31:17 pm
And the door is opened back up for a Beef victory. Beef is finally going to get his, I'm telling you.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2006, 01:49:38 pm
In the first couple panels I thought that ol' dad was actually going to say that Beef should win since it was all his doing. He gets props for saying "small times"

And dammit Hobo, now all I can think of is "bear is driving, how can this be?"
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: jcreed on March 17, 2006, 01:54:30 pm
Basically Ray's chief weakness is his unwillingness to beat Beef bloody.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Roger on March 17, 2006, 01:56:27 pm
Ray can't be so ruthless as to just go CRAK CRAK CRAK on Roast Beef for real, so Beef will have so say some real nasty shit to him to build up his rage. I'd start with "cauliflower ass".
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2006, 02:02:03 pm
Ray can't be so ruthless as to just go CRAK CRAK CRAK on Roast Beef for real, so Beef will have so say some real nasty shit to him to build up his rage. I'd start with "cauliflower ass".

Hey Ray, did I tell you that I boned your mother while she was visiting? Six times. I was all bone bone bone bone!
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: V-Adore on March 17, 2006, 02:22:56 pm
C'mon, folks. You're totally ignoring Ray's plaintive voice in the first panel, demanding that his father recognize him. "From... from Sondra, you know!" could be the saddest thing were it not coming from, y'know, Ray Smuckles.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm pretty sure I've reached a place of Zen about this.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: misterqueue on March 17, 2006, 02:29:17 pm
Listen folks, I love Messire Roasted of Beefs just as much as you.  I love him so much; but he is not going to win this thing.  Beef idolizes this whole GOF thing, to him it is what's right. "Oh not the Jeeps Ray" I suspect is less about actually being taken away in Jeeps, but more about ruining what the GOF stands for in his eyes.

Ray is going to beat the living shit out of Beef.

Me, I'm just waiting for Beef to die again so some good things can happen to him.  For a while.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 02:36:53 pm
God damn it this is becoming Ache Ball Z.

Oh, an entire strip of expounding on the fact that Ray has to beat up on Beef!
Right after the strip before where Ray and Beef expounded on the fact that Ray had to beat up on Beef!
Right after the strip where Ray gets drunk and expounds on the fact that he has to beet up on Beef!

How about a strip or seven that consists entirely of shocked facial reactions and "His power level.. is OFF THE SCALE!" while we're at it?
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Jeepers on March 17, 2006, 02:38:26 pm
 I think we're missing something in all the analyzing here. No one knows more about the fight than Roast Beef. Therefore, RB knew about the jeeps, and knew that the tower-men wouldn't accept a lay-down. He is still playing Ray.
 He knew the weakness of every man in that fight, he is approaching the whole thing in a scientific way. He knows that Ray's weakness is their friendship, and he will exploit this.
 No one studies the GOF since they were a kid, analyzes the fighting styles of every man in the fight, memorizes tactics, runs the  credit reports of the other fighters, all in order to come in second place. No sir.
 I stand firm on my prediction of a Roast Beef victory.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: misterqueue on March 17, 2006, 02:38:54 pm
Does Ray's super-sayian mode include a golden thong?



I don't even know if I spelled sayian right, and I'm not looking it up for that joke either.  DragonBall Z makes me want to vomit out of every orifice.

EDIT: Just a note that I have the TV on in the background for noise and a dog trainer on the Today show just said something about Pee-mail. Deja VU (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11092004)!
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Roger on March 17, 2006, 02:41:04 pm
C'mon, folks. You're totally ignoring Ray's plaintive voice in the first panel, demanding that his father recognize him. "From... from Sondra, you know!" could be the saddest thing were it not coming from, y'know, Ray Smuckles.

I'm so involved in this "will Ray and Beef fight or not" that I almost forgot that "from Sondra" is the best part of the strip. That implies that Ray's mother is just one among a score of Rodney's wives, which in turn suggests that Ray may have even more than one half-sibling.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 02:45:05 pm
Does Ray's super-sayian mode include a golden thong?!

Super Rayian Level 4! Golden spiked glowing thong! Spiky haired chochacho bracelet!
FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT 84 EPISODES OF ... ACHE BALL Z
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: V-Adore on March 17, 2006, 02:49:39 pm
I'm so involved in this "will Ray and Beef fight or not" that I almost forgot that "from Sondra" is the best part of the strip. That implies that Ray's mother is just one among a score of Rodney's wives, which in turn suggests that Ray may have even more than one half-sibling.

Either that, or (an option which may be even sadder) Ray assumes his father is such an adulterous badass that he has to specify who his mother is, even though we have no real evidence that this is necessary. After all, Ramses Smuckles was a perfect gentleman, and even Rodney was enough of a romantic to propose to his lady on-air right after winning the GOF. Maybe it's different for cats, but this is not behavior I associate with having a string of hos.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: LCB on March 17, 2006, 03:01:46 pm
Is it going to be like that one episode of DBZ, the two foes are fighting, and one powers up and hits the other with an energy beam and a big cloud of smoke comes up, and all of the bystanders who've been watching from a distance are all "Wow!" and "Good job!" and "No one could survive a blast like that!" and then the smoke floats away and the guy who got hit is standing there, apparently unaffected and everyone goes "Huh?" and "Impossible!" and the guy smirks.

You know the episode I'm thinking of, just about every damn episode of that tragedy of series, EVER.

Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 03:06:56 pm
"Impossible! That blast should have defeated you! Unless.. your power level is higher than mine!"

(Cut to a shot of a quivering face twisted into a gaping grimace of terror)

"That... that's impossible! It cannot be! "

Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: misterqueue on March 17, 2006, 03:07:56 pm
"Impossible! That blast should have defeated you! Unless.. your power level is higher than mine!"

(Cut to a shot of a quivering face twisted into a gaping grimace of terror)

"That... that's impossible! It cannot be! "



*8 panels of Rayian "charging up" while he makes grimacing faces.  Beef all on the ground with eyes quivering for the next 8 panels.  TUNE IN NEXT WEEK*
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2006, 03:32:21 pm
Panel 1: Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 2: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 3: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 4: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 5: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Strip returns Tuesday!

Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: side_show on March 17, 2006, 03:59:04 pm
I love how the jeeps bring some unspecified horror.  It's scarier because you can imagine that they're full of whatever is the most frightening thing to you.

My jeeps would be driven by Bob Saget and Carrot Top, and the passengers would be clowns that move and sound like the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

Oh man Lister.  That is awesome.

My jeeps would be driven by that Philadelphia Cream Cheese Angel spokesperson and my grade 12 math teacher, and the passengers would be the disembodied voices of my former call-centre customers.  Also, Carrot Top  (http://www.carrottop.com)would be there, and he would be giggling.  (Warning, the Carrot Top link is indeed the portal to hell)

(also, WTF? Has Carrot Top always be ripped? He could totally take me - Jeep or no Jeep)

Also, I agree with you Bobby.  It is feeling pretty drawn-out for me, and I saw the ending from a mile away.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Roger on March 17, 2006, 04:13:06 pm
(Warning, the Carrot Top link is indeed the portal to hell)

I abandoned all hope after visiting that site.
But I can't say that the pictures of Carrot Top on the F-16 with Lieutenant-colonel Billy Butts didn't make me chuckle.

Edit: I don't know about Carrot Top, but Vegetable Brain might as well be on one of the jeeps.
Title: the best that two and a half minutes of editing will bring
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 04:20:53 pm
Panel 1: Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 2: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 3: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 4: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Panel 5: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Strip returns Tuesday!


(http://mike.13th-floor.org/super-ray.gif)
MY POWER LEVEL IS OFF THE SCALE
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Hobot on March 17, 2006, 05:42:39 pm
The fact that I basically do not understand any of those Dragon Ball Z references makes me feel better about myself.  Thanks, TOUAMB, for improving my self-esteem!


I have nothing to add to the discussion of the strip, because I do not engage in the tawdry act of speculation.  However, "Hush Ray" was almost worth having this arc drawn out over another weekend.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: MattFish on March 17, 2006, 07:28:24 pm
I'm assuming everybody has read Buttlord GT (http://www.atomictoy.org/comics/buttlordgt/). If not, it has now become required reading, thanks to Mr. Isosceles. My poor Aching Ballz indeed.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 17, 2006, 07:40:20 pm
I'm assuming everybody has read Buttlord GT (http://www.atomictoy.org/comics/buttlordgt/). If not, it has now become required reading, thanks to Mr. Isosceles. My poor Aching Ballz indeed.

tl;dr
Title: Re: the best that two and a half minutes of editing will bring
Post by: Cynicar on March 17, 2006, 08:16:47 pm
(http://mike.13th-floor.org/super-ray.gif)
MY POWER LEVEL IS OFF THE SCALE

That... is fuck*ng brill.

I would love to see Beef win this thing, but my gut is that they're gonna team up to take on the Fight itself. 

On my list of predictions though, Beef winning ranks way higher than Ray winning.  If Ray was really willing to beat on Beef in order to win, he would have already done it.  I could totally see Beef just getting resolve from this though.  I mean, Ramses talked to him!  Ramses told him to hush Ray!  And everyone was talkin' about how he was shivering?  Well, look at that last panel.  There is no shivers.  That is stone cold resolve. 

The only reason I see Beef not winning is that were he totally focused on winning, he would have already done it as well.  'Stad's a good storyteller man.  You don't delay and delay unless your ending is going to be completely different than what was expected going in.

Though I think the only way I will be disappointed is if Ray wins not-on-accident.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: brianwaka on March 17, 2006, 10:10:04 pm
*Warning* n00b-with-a-theory post ...

My take on this is that Ray's dad appearing suddenly is not a coincidence. I think Beef anonymously placed a call to Ramses (or he's a fake, remember Ray's Uncle?), knowing full well the effect it would have on Ray. Hiding in the trash and planting the false story of his beatdown was too Machiavellian. Beef must have known that the only way he could win was to have Ray take out the field and then take him out by exploiting this weakness. When the next strip drops, it'll be Ray beating down Beef at first, Beef taking it until the image of seeing Beef bloody drives Ray to the brink, then Beef springing into action and taking him out with one blow. Or not. It's just my opinion.

Also, as far as Beef not being respected for only taking out one man, I think he would be more respected for the planning and strategy this required. Ramses certainly respects him.

I apologize in advance if this line of thinking was already explored.

B.

Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: robot_god on March 17, 2006, 11:14:21 pm
My prediction:

Ray and Beef never fight, one more week worth of buildup, then the strip is sold off to Japanese interests.

The Great Outdoor Fight never ends, and then we lie in the grave.  I will eat a taco tonight.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Drygioni on March 17, 2006, 11:16:06 pm
*Warning* n00b-with-a-theory post ...

My take on this is that Ray's dad appearing suddenly is not a coincidence. I think Beef anonymously placed a call to Ramses (or he's a fake, remember Ray's Uncle?), knowing full well the effect it would have on Ray. Hiding in the trash and planting the false story of his beatdown was too Machiavellian. Beef must have known that the only way he could win was to have Ray take out the field and then take him out by exploiting this weakness. When the next strip drops, it'll be Ray beating down Beef at first, Beef taking it until the image of seeing Beef bloody drives Ray to the brink, then Beef springing into action and taking him out with one blow. Or not. It's just my opinion.

Also, as far as Beef not being respected for only taking out one man, I think he would be more respected for the planning and strategy this required. Ramses certainly respects him.

I apologize in advance if this line of thinking was already explored.

B.



What a nice young man.

What with being caught up with the whole drama of Ray's situation, it never crossed my mind that Ramses could indeed be Lie Bot. I doubt Onstad would do that as that is pretty much the Achewood equivalent of 'and it was all a dream', but it would make me laugh. And that is what Achewood is for.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2006, 11:35:15 pm
My prediction:

Ray and Beef never fight, one more week worth of buildup, then the strip is sold off to Japanese interests.

Dammit, now you're just baiting (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282003) me.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: colmore on March 17, 2006, 11:49:05 pm
or he could just sell it all to Donald Trump.


anyway, I thought today's strip was great.  Given Achewood's history, I'm not predicting anything.

To the naysayers: this kind of things is rougher in serialization than when you go back and read it later.  A week after this arc finishes, go back to whenever Ray almost got diabetes and start reading.  This is Onstad's best work.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2006, 12:14:55 am
*Warning* n00b-with-a-theory post ...


Thank you. Also, can that warning be madatory whenever it is justified?
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: trouserbat on March 18, 2006, 02:43:45 am
Awww, Ray even puts his arm around Beef (10th panel). I don't think anybody's getting killed, here.

Also, as of yesterday, I have officially gotten a written warning for reading Achewood / TOUAMB too much at work. I'll be drowning my sorrows in tiny cans of Dr. Pepper...  :-[
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: CortJstr on March 18, 2006, 03:12:54 am
Man, some offices just don't have their priorities straight. An Achewoodless employee is a hella depressed employee is an unproductive employee.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: wombat on March 18, 2006, 03:15:22 am

Also, as of yesterday, I have officially gotten a written warning for reading Achewood / TOUAMB too much at work.

Oooh, is this a first?  Come on, you have to post it here.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2006, 03:44:25 am
Awww, Ray even puts his arm around Beef (10th panel). I don't think anybody's getting killed, here.

Also, as of yesterday, I have officially gotten a written warning for reading Achewood / TOUAMB too much at work. I'll be drowning my sorrows in tiny cans of Dr. Pepper...  :-[

Suck! Luckily, I'm wireless, so they sort of let it all go around here. I probably can't even open TOUAMB at work on my normal computer.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: trouserbat on March 18, 2006, 04:27:09 am
Oooh, is this a first?  Come on, you have to post it here.

It doesn't mention either site by name, it just says something about excessive non-work-related computer usage. If it did, I would probably have scanned it by now.

It does say, however, that next time they bring the Jeeps.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: teleskiving on March 18, 2006, 09:37:54 am
I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end with Ray killing his dad.  One way or another I don't think it would too hard for Chris to get Beef out of there and Ramses/Rodney in - Beef didn't even qualify properly - and from that point on it kind of writes itself.  Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: robot_god on March 18, 2006, 11:00:54 am
I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end with Ray killing his dad.  One way or another I don't think it would too hard for Chris to get Beef out of there and Ramses/Rodney in - Beef didn't even qualify properly - and from that point on it kind of writes itself.  Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!

Yes, you're most likely wrong.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: antioch on March 18, 2006, 06:10:02 pm
I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end with Ray killing his dad.  One way or another I don't think it would too hard for Chris to get Beef out of there and Ramses/Rodney in - Beef didn't even qualify properly - and from that point on it kind of writes itself.  Somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!
Yes, you're most likely wrong.

But props on a novel look at the situation. I'm afraid the real GOF winners are the DBZ references in this thread.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: V-Adore on March 18, 2006, 09:14:02 pm
I think that, for a thread that contains a link to Buttlord GT, there have quite simply been too few uses of the phrase "some kind of meat-miracle." It has a lovely concantenation with "the Thomas Edison of handing a guy his ass," doesn't it?

Anyway, I continue to hope for something we haven't even conceived of. Like, I dunno, aliens showing up and Beef dying on the way back to his home planet. Or Japanese interests suddenly interceding and having Ray and Beef fall in the man-love. Whatever.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: colmore on March 19, 2006, 08:05:51 am
In all the Dragonball discussion, there seems to be an agreement that it sucks, is boring, and has shit for plot.  But then, how the specific jokes?  If it sucks, don't you stop watching before you can poke really pointed fun at it?  Or are people other than me big enough fans of cartoons about people beating each other up that they'll sit through crap, kind of like the way I went to Starwars III even though I knew I was going to feel ripped off at the end.  Clearly the Buttlord guy watched enough of this show to get a good parody out of it.

It's kind of lost on me, as I've never watched Dragonball.  You know...

because it sucks.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2006, 03:36:55 pm
Well, I've noticed some pretty powerful negativity directed at this DragonballZ thing in this thread, but maybe it's the thing where a person likes something because it sucks. I know I've heard that it's pretty popular with the kids, and that seemed to help that Powerpuff (Powderpuff?) dealie a while back.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Ben-San on March 19, 2006, 07:38:04 pm
In all the Dragonball discussion, there seems to be an agreement that it sucks, is boring, and has shit for plot.  But then, how the specific jokes?  If it sucks, don't you stop watching before you can poke really pointed fun at it?  Or are people other than me big enough fans of cartoons about people beating each other up that they'll sit through crap, kind of like the way I went to Starwars III even though I knew I was going to feel ripped off at the end.  Clearly the Buttlord guy watched enough of this show to get a good parody out of it.

It's kind of lost on me, as I've never watched Dragonball.  You know...

because it sucks.

In the case of the Buttlord GT guys, I always sort of assumed it was a case of "something they watched when they were kids, and are now sort of kidding around about because it's crappy but they have nostalgia". Dragonball has been on the air for a long time, especially in markets with large Asian populations.

Dragonball also forms an early phase of a lot of anime dorks' fandom. Recently that's undergone a shift (mainly with Cartoon Network picking up other crappy but immensely US-market-viable series that represent the same group's current initial anime exposures) but it's still there. That's why I know most of what I know about it, anyway.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2006, 11:44:08 pm
I've seen the last 10 minutes of about 50 episodes, probably. Just because of when I usually came home from school and the fact that it was on right before Tenchi or Outlaw Star or something in the old Toonami block.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2006, 11:46:50 pm
man.
this is just insane deja-vous.
have you not said that before?
that you saw the last 10 minutes every day when you got home?

or maybe someone else did?
maybe I"m just insane.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: Noah on March 19, 2006, 11:51:27 pm
mr. smuckles reminds me of the wolf character in pulp fiction
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: lprkn on March 20, 2006, 03:37:54 am
So, pretty please, with sugar on top, beat the fuck out of each other.
Title: Re: March 17, 2006 - Oh not the Jeeps no Ray we ain't goin' that route please
Post by: pmcd9 on March 20, 2006, 02:08:39 pm
I just noticed that the pressbox is packed now.  I guess RLS was up there while the powers that be were discussing the possible need for breaking out the jeeps and he said, he's my boy, let me go have a talk with him.  Now everyone is interested in what's going to transpire so they are crowding the glass.  What a great detail.

~Paul