The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: goldenchurchhill on April 17, 2006, 08:26:49 am

Title: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: goldenchurchhill on April 17, 2006, 08:26:49 am
Man, Emeril knows the crazy guys, awesome. 

The comment about the Philippe not being the only thing missing is also classic.  Sweet Beef singing.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04172006

Plus, "if you ask me that sounds about as phony about the lunar landing." 

Classic strip around, in my opinion best since the GOF.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Ben-San on April 17, 2006, 08:29:45 am
Beef isn't singing. That is his ringtone, possibly specific to calls from Teodor.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: goldenchurchhill on April 17, 2006, 08:30:56 am
Oh shit, I thought he was like grooving out with his arms, but now I realize that he is lookign for his phone.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Cynicar on April 17, 2006, 08:46:21 am
With this strip, I now understand the Emeril Adoration.

Also, am I the only one who initially thought that the book conversation had somehow inspired Beef's member to begin singing?
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: antioch on April 17, 2006, 08:53:20 am
Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies.

edit: Oops, I meant to specify the the ringtone.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: mrchee on April 17, 2006, 10:02:22 am
meh/ho hum

Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: wombat on April 17, 2006, 11:44:19 am
Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies.

edit: Oops, I meant to specify the the ringtone.

Thank you. 

Also: "I think we got a thing in the main."  Sigh.  Can anyone correct the typo in the thread title?  All I can figure out how to do here is lock it in a fury.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: misterqueue on April 17, 2006, 11:45:09 am
I enjoyed this, but mostly because Emeril is there and I would have Emeril's retarded baby.

Also Lyle, "Tell that guy he sucks!" (With typical Beef politeness in response "Okay yeah I'll try to work that in."  Is so good.)

Actually I pretty much love when we see characters who don't always hang together getting a chance to work outside their normal idioms.  *Swings from chandelier*

Sorry that went there, I was trying not to let it do so.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: trouserbat on April 17, 2006, 12:00:37 pm
This is a profoundly, profoundly weird one.

The "Lovely Rita" panel made me laugh incredibly hard, and I still haven't figured out why.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Hobot on April 17, 2006, 12:01:39 pm
I enjoyed this, but mostly because Emeril is there and I would have Emeril's retarded baby.
Also Lyle, "Tell that guy he sucks!" (With typical Beef politeness in response "Okay yeah I'll try to work that in."  Is so good.)

Well, damn, now I don't have anything to add.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: acoxcae on April 17, 2006, 12:20:08 pm
This strip was just so-so for me (aside from "Tell that guy he sucks!" "Okay yeah...") until the Lovely Rita panel - because I just arrived at work 5 minutes ago, and was listening to Lovely Rita in the car.

Synchronicity - it's powerful stuff.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: misterqueue on April 17, 2006, 12:24:58 pm
Well, damn, now I don't have anything to add.

There there Mme Hobot, you had so much to add IN MY MIND!
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: miles on April 17, 2006, 12:51:00 pm
I really liked Lyle in the second panel.  If there is one thing that can get Lyle's attention, it's moon-fakery.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: CortJstr on April 17, 2006, 12:51:55 pm
Wait, is the Ralph Rene book the pile of hand-stapled computer paper that they were talking about on the Conpiracy episode of Bullshit?
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: miles on April 17, 2006, 12:52:43 pm
Wait, is the Ralph Rene book the pile of hand-stapled computer paper that they were talking about on the Conpiracy episode of Bullshit?

Yes, probably.  I did a wiki search and it mentioned that Ralph Rene was featured on the show and that the book was self-published.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 17, 2006, 01:18:48 pm
No mom, I'm not on drugs, I just wanted a pepsi!

That song is gonna be in my head all day, which will make me happy.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Jeepers on April 17, 2006, 01:35:29 pm
This has been the first strip in a while that really clicked for me.

Trashspotting will save the day. It's crazy to me to think that he did the whole T/S backstory just to make it more believeable when he worked it in like this.

also:
"All I know is I see two missing things and not one"
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Hobot on April 17, 2006, 02:08:08 pm
Yes, probably.  I did a wiki search and it mentioned that Ralph Rene was featured on the show and that the book was self-published.

All covered with cat hair, all stained with greasy food residue, all smelling faintly of mothballs.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: V-Adore on April 17, 2006, 03:15:21 pm
There's also the fact that the alt text points out to us: not only does Emeril know the freaky collector types, but he knows their names and references them casually, as if they were mutual acquaintances. Absolutely rad.

"He is headed for Transfer Station 3081 and he had better not get there" is a great line in terms of subdued dread, too.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: smick on April 17, 2006, 03:31:22 pm
I read the strip when I still have the sleepiness in my eyes.   Em is really hard to follow.  I had to read a couple of his statements twice.

Also, In re: Lovely Rita

That song serves to make me want to listen to Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand.

"What they do to a man, those Sh-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ky haaaaaaands."
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 17, 2006, 03:45:43 pm
Linda can cook
Jean reads books
Cindy can sew
But I'd rather know

Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Formica on April 17, 2006, 03:53:45 pm
The evolution of Achewood Argot continues, with "in the main" becoming the driving phrase for establishing the primary storyline of the strip, etc.

Echo "trashspotting saves the day".

I like how 'stad is working Emeril in. It's like he was a guest star for a few seasons and has finally signed on with the rest of the ensemble cast, a la Lucy Lawless and Battlestar Galactica (commence television ridicule).

I like this storyline more, now. It was okay at first, but the involvement of the Trashspotting sluething abilities and the car from Peel Out Summer is most pleasant. It's as though they only need to drive when Phillippe is in trouble.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: jough on April 17, 2006, 04:37:49 pm
BAM!

Emeril kicks it up a notch!

I still think the character is useless and has no personality, but hey, whatever.  Lots of goodness in this strip as mentioned above. 

A+++++++ Good Communication.  Would read again.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: basula on April 17, 2006, 06:30:10 pm
Howdy. I was somewhat inspired by Roast Beef's choice of crotch melody, er, ringtone. (Also by hearing the MIDI versions of Teodor's fingerstyle guitar.) So I made my own version (in Nokia AMR format) so I can be cool like Roast Beef.

It's here: http://www.stashbox.org/uploads/1145297341/institutionalized.amr (about 16k)

It works on my Treo and ought to work on most phones. Enjoy!


basula
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 17, 2006, 07:04:55 pm
Howdy. I was somewhat inspired by Roast Beef's choice of crotch melody, er, ringtone. (Also by hearing the MIDI versions of Teodor's fingerstyle guitar.) So I made my own version (in Nokia AMR format) so I can be cool like Roast Beef.

It's here: http://www.stashbox.org/uploads/1145297341/institutionalized.amr (about 16k)

It works on my Treo and ought to work on most phones. Enjoy!


basula

I love this. I want it on my phone. Any idea how to put it on a shitty little LG? I have never even attempted to obtain a ring that didn't come with my phone. But I need this.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: littlefox on April 17, 2006, 08:00:05 pm
Part of me wants to agree that it's rad that Emeril knows all this stuff, but it's a tad strained that he figured it all out so quickly. I guess that's his Trashspotting Sense at work, but still.

Curious: How does he know Zell and Cory? (Zell is totally the tall creepy one. I bet.)
Is Emeril's familiarity with the Transfer Station related to his fascination with trash in general?
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: wombat on April 17, 2006, 08:10:46 pm
Why hasn't this turned into a thread where people talk about what songs they have for ringtones?
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 17, 2006, 08:16:01 pm
(Zell is totally the tall creepy one. I bet.)

Cory is the tall one.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: littlefox on April 17, 2006, 09:54:05 pm
Why hasn't this turned into a thread where people talk about what songs they have for ringtones?

Why hasn't it turned into a thread where people talk about whether or not the moon landing was faked?

Cory is the tall one.

~Paul

Fine. Fiiiine. You can be right.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: robot_god on April 17, 2006, 10:05:17 pm
Why hasn't this turned into a thread where people talk about what songs they have for ringtones?

I'll show you mine if you show me first?


Oh what the hell:  Jackson 5 - I Want You Back.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Formica on April 17, 2006, 10:30:01 pm
Why hasn't it turned into a thread where people talk about whether or not the moon landing was faked?

Because it wasn't?

I find that the worst part of the strip, really, that a cartoon cat such as Emeril could subscribe to such nonsense.

Besides, I see Lyle being more of a Wild Bill Cooper, "Behold a Pale hoss" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0929385225/) kind of guy. That, or he likes Richard Hoagland (http://www.enterprisemission.com/).

Further irony is found in Lyle's profound kookism, and its association with Pat's love of Noam Chomsky, et al. I am relatively confident that one day they will agree on something, and then kill one another in an orgy of conspiratorial violence. Pat will be the only cartoon cat who is not allowed to leave Hell, and will be forced to watch hetero porn while eating only beef for the rest of his days eternity, since he's already dead.

edited to correct an absurdity
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: wombat on April 17, 2006, 11:05:13 pm
I'll show you mine if you show me first?


Mine isn't a song, so I could only wait helplessly for someone else to start it.  (Mine is a recording of my dog barking.)
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: jough on April 17, 2006, 11:06:26 pm
Mine is currently the ring of the phones from "24" last season.

Boop boop, BA-doom.

Very pleasant sounding and it's unique enough that it sounds like MY phone when it rings.

Prior to that I had Flint's phone from "Our Man Flint" for the longest time.

I like a phone to sound like a phone ringing.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: robot_god on April 17, 2006, 11:11:05 pm


I like a phone to sound like a phone ringing.

Word, but it's tough to resist when you find Eddie Murphy's Party All The Time as a midi.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Ben-San on April 17, 2006, 11:12:42 pm
If I had any idea how to set a custom ringtone on my phone it would probably be the distinctive whistle of the communicators from the original Star Trek. As it is I do not know what my ring noise  is. I didn't really like any of them, so I picked one out of necessity and then set it to vibrate the first day I got it, and have had it so set since.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: misterqueue on April 17, 2006, 11:29:55 pm
For unknown calls it is the theme from the Exorcist.

For known calls it's Paranoid Android by Radiohead.

I suspect this makes me look fairly neurotic which.. probably isn't too far off at this point.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: smick on April 17, 2006, 11:30:59 pm
I'm using EBN - Interruption (RealPlayer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B000000GRI001011/1/ref=mu_sam_ra001_011/103-2543647-7205429) Windows Media (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000000GRI001011/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/103-2543647-7205429)) as my ringtone when I'm in the office.   It's subtle enough and can be heard, but most people ignore it.   Also: Analog television channel sounds, are retro-fun, but not stupid like meshback hats.

Otherwise, when I'm out and about, the music from Bubble Bobble.  I will always dump a couple quarters in a Bubble Bobble machine, should I come across it in the wild.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 17, 2006, 11:44:32 pm
I've never seen a Bubble Bobble machine! It was one of 3 NES games we had growing up - I haven't beaten it to this day.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Drygioni on April 17, 2006, 11:45:27 pm
Oh Bondage! Up Yours! by X Ray Spex, looping the screaming/1234! at the beginning and the ensuing drum roll.

Or it would be, if I needed a phone.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: smick on April 17, 2006, 11:47:09 pm
Hahah, As a sad, lonely child, I was angered to learn that you can't receive the "True" ending of Bubble Bobble on the NES without a second player in the game.   

I had to draft someone to jump around and not die while I beat the boss monster.

It's the same music as the NES version...that music that bores into your soul.

On the Freeview-Preview:  I thought England had more mobile phones than they had citizens.   How is it you're not sending an SMS to someone right now?
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 12:06:17 am
I'm using EBN - Interruption (RealPlayer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B000000GRI001011/1/ref=mu_sam_ra001_011/103-2543647-7205429) Windows Media (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000000GRI001011/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/103-2543647-7205429)) as my ringtone when I'm in the office.   It's subtle enough and can be heard, but most people ignore it.   Also: Analog television channel sounds, are retro-fun, but not stupid like meshback hats.

Observe the high-quality noob:  Answers the question with links to sound files.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Ben-San on April 18, 2006, 12:26:44 am
One time I was hanging out in a hotel lobby where a bunch of equally-dorky friends and I were staying, doing.. something. I think I was waiting. Anyway, I started idly humming the main melody of the Bubble Bobble theme (it had been stuck in my head and I hum when I'm bored). Unprompted, one of my friends began doing the "secondary" track (not exactly harmony, but the appropriate whatever.) We made it through a cycle or two of the theme. Then we stopped at the same time and one of us ate a hard-boiled egg.

It was pretty neat. The noob got a TCoDP for making me think of it.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 18, 2006, 12:32:42 am
Fine. Fiiiine. You can be right.

Well only if I am.  Otherwise you are totally going to rub my face in it.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2006, 01:08:43 am
I don't have a cell phone yet, but a friend of mine had The Flaming Lips's "Race For the Prize (Sacrifice of the New Scientists)" as his ringtone for a while. It's such a great idea that I may have to steal it, particularly given that I plan to be an earnestly self-sacrificing new scientist next year.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Lister on April 18, 2006, 02:32:51 am
I have several sounds from Star Trek loaded on my phone - I tend to swap between them when I get bored.  Currently my ring from known callers is one of the TNG sounds, and from unknown callers it is a recording of an old-style dial phone.

I once went through my mp3s and selected a bunch to edit for inclusion in the phone rotation, but never bothered editing them.

I love the fact that linux geeks know how to get any file on my phone for free.  Paying someone else to do that would be ludicrous.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 02:36:37 am
This thread has inspired me to finally download a ringtone. Now my phone plays Mongoloid whenever anyone calls.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: mrdna1 on April 18, 2006, 02:51:03 am
This is my ringtone (http://five-six.net/bgc.mp3). No joke.

(I have a Helium MIDI for when I'm in polite company, as well)
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: doomglobe on April 18, 2006, 03:06:09 am
(http://www.thebiglug.com/images/emeril.jpg)+(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Tonyshalhoubmonk.jpg/180px-Tonyshalhoubmonk.jpg)=(http://www.achewood.com/e_l.gif)
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: AugustWest on April 18, 2006, 03:10:47 am
I had St Stephen, but I couldn't hear it very well.  Now I have an old timey (i.e. from my youth) phone ringing -- actual bells.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 03:25:58 am
hm, so.

my phone is one of the lame ones that comes with it. I refuse to pay to get a ringtone. I am too lame to figure out how to load one on.

the best ever was when there was a MIDI player on my old Nokia. It had a program called "Composer" built into it. I found a site online with how to type in a variety of songs.

for a long time, I had a midi version of the intro to "Light my Fire". Then, the Zelda theme song.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Hobot on April 18, 2006, 04:27:00 am
"Blackbird" by the Beatles.  Fuck you, it's a good song.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 11:49:41 am
Which/Whose version?

I use Devo's Big Mess intro.
I didn't even know there were other versions. I have Devo's.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Gimpson on April 18, 2006, 03:05:59 pm
Despite the fact that I start a new job at Sprint tomorrow, I have the same phone I bought in 1998 and feel no need for a fancy new phone that can play a custom ringtone.  Also, you kids get the hell off of my lawn. 
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 03:23:05 pm
There isn't, for me, but you never know what these whacky kids will stew up so I had to check before letting my self have that weird little internet feeling you get when someone uses/likes the same stuff as you.

OHhHhHhhhhh...
I hear you. I frequently have to set my younger sister straight on stuff like that, such as telling her that Limp Bizkit wrote neither Behind Blue Eyes nor Faith. Oh well, gives me another way to express my inner cranky old person.

Hey now kids, you can't come on my damn lawn neither.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Formica on April 18, 2006, 03:41:24 pm
I hear you. I frequently have to set my younger sister straight on stuff like that, such as telling her that Limp Bizkit wrote neither Behind Blue Eyes nor Faith. Oh well, gives me another way to express my inner cranky old person.

Hey now kids, you can't come on my damn lawn neither.

George Michael's Faith album was standard accompaniment to my paper route for years.

Goddamned whippersnappers.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2006, 05:04:19 pm
My ringtone was the opening moments of "Sweet Child Of Mine" until my girlfriend decided it was the most annoying thing in her life.

She doesn't get how Axl Rose being Completely Crazy is one of the Awesomest Things on Earth... but that's her loss, I'd say.

But with all the crap she puts up with from me, if I can make switching my ringtone seem even slightly like a Significant Sacrifice that pays back some of the amazingly ludicrious things I do with my time, then I've come out ahead in the equation.

Switching over to a pretty-crappy midi of Stone Temple Pilot "Plush" is a loss, but a small loss, and hardly one toke over the line.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 05:21:57 pm
We temporarily interrupt the wandering portion of this thread to remark on how clever doomglobe is, despite that fact that I wouldn't have recognized the second picture if it hadn't had a helpful file name.

Carry on.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: lprkn on April 18, 2006, 08:49:35 pm
My roommate has some Beethoven symphony or other as his ringtone, and the volume is set to "you will not bear children."

I want to murder every time I hear it.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU say that I'M crazy?
Post by: swinehund on April 18, 2006, 09:00:01 pm
Otherwise, when I'm out and about, the music from Bubble Bobble.  I will always dump a couple quarters in a Bubble Bobble machine, should I come across it in the wild.

Oh my goodness. I had a summer that involved a lot of running, and the Bubble Bobble theme was stuck in my head almost constantly.  Luckily it has since been replaced with U Can't Touch This, which is an improvement because the lyrics are inspirational.

While I like classical music, I hate classical music ringtones, particularly in midi form on the phones of people in suits. It does not make one appear classy, just pretentious in a really lame way.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Dexter on April 19, 2006, 03:26:29 am
My ringtone was the opening moments of "Sweet Child Of Mine" until my girlfriend decided it was the most annoying thing in her life.

She doesn't get how Axl Rose being Completely Crazy is one of the Awesomest Things on Earth... but that's her loss, I'd say.
Man, Axl Rose is possibly the crappest of crap dudes.  Nothing he does can ever be awesome.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: lprkn on April 19, 2006, 04:29:58 am
But there was that one song, wait, no... That was Slash, I'm sorry, it was all Slash.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 19, 2006, 04:39:29 am
Man, Axl Rose is possibly the crappest of crap dudes.  Nothing he does can ever be awesome.

That's the point. He's such a crap dude that he has completely flipped the switch. He transcends.

He has taken being a crap dude to Awesome levels.

I attended one of the few Guns N Roses shows with the "new" Guns N Roses that actually happened? With the guy from Nine Inch Nails and the guy from Primus and the guy from the Replacements and the guy with the chicken bucket on his head?

And between songs, it was like watching Hunter S Thompson trying to defeat the devil by ignoring a midget that was cruelly mocking him by destroying effigies of long-lost dead friends of his. He would go on these insane rants and... sometimes, he would just play classical piano between songs. Surprisingly well, to be honest. As though in the fifteen years hiding in underground compounds scattered about Malibu, he at-least learned how to play piano relatively well.

And he woke giant peasant shirts and weird oversized football jerseys and the man with the chicken bucket on his head handed out Star Wars toys to the moshpit but...

At one point, before performing "Patience" he went off on a tirade that was so Crap, it is why people call the point where you are so crap that you are awesome again The Axl Point:

He started rambling in a fashion that could only be described as if Howard Hughes had discovered the joys of trailer-brewed methamphetemines about how all the other guys in the "old" Guns N Roses didn't want to record any of the crowd's favourite songs. This went on for minutes and minutes.

"Izzy didn't wanna record Patience. Slash didn't wanna record Patience. I MADE them record Patience! I GAVE YOU Patience..."

And the line that I could not believe a man could ever deliver seriously, except for the power of crossing the Axl Point:

"Those guys were bad cops... and I'm f-ing Serpico!"

Except, you know, the swear word was intact, as he was saying this to the Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, NY and not on a message board.

You can say all you want that Axl Rose can't be awesome... but if you can picture a man, in a peasant shirt, standing next to a man with a chicken bucket on his head, in his early forties, out of shape, with dyed blonde braids, screaming to a crowd of aging-themselves old hair rockers, claiming of the men that helped him become so inscrutably rich that he could go this mad... Seriously Saying:

"Those guys were bad cops... and I'm f-ing Serpico!"

If you can picture that? You can know that you can be so crap that you are the most Awesome of all.

Unless you're not into jerks. I guess I'm still young enough to enjoy jerks.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: Mite on April 19, 2006, 11:34:21 am
Look (http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/000252.html) at the guy (courtesy of Awful Plastic Surgery).

And you know he's rocking that bandanna just 'cause he likes the way it looks, and he totally has a full head of gorgeous blond hair under there, he's not balding, or suffering from bad plugs, you know, he just thinks the bandanna is more rock 'n' roll.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 19, 2006, 01:00:10 pm
The success of Velvet Revolver (Slash & Co hooking up with Scott Weiland = stroke of genius) postpones the Guns and Roses reunion by at least a decade.  Axl is Michael Jackson scary and therefore is completely fascinating.  Axl melting down on stage will be the media sensation of the year.

~Paul
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 19, 2006, 08:49:00 pm
Axl is Michael Jackson scary and therefore is completely fascinating.  Axl melting down on stage will be the media sensation of the year.

Exactly! He's got all the fascination of a Michael Jackson... now with 95% less being creeped out by what he actually does!

Whereas you feel kinda guilty finding Michael Jackson fascinating/funny/interesting because of... the really truly terrible things he probably did... with Axl Rose, you get all that Trainwreck Goodness but, really, at the end of the day, all he's really "done" is go into hiding and get into crystals and start dressing like Ali G and act like a dutchbag toward the people who helped him get rich.

So you can really enjoy it, no irony aftertaste.
Title: Re: April 17, 2006-- How can YOU sat that I'M crazy?
Post by: doomglobe on April 21, 2006, 11:46:45 pm
We temporarily interrupt the wandering portion of this thread to remark on how clever doomglobe is, despite that fact that I wouldn't have recognized the second picture if it hadn't had a helpful file name.

Carry on.


Can you for a kind word.