The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: wombat on November 05, 2006, 04:35:26 pm
-
Where are you all on weekends these days this board is dead. How am I supposed to goof off at work?
Actually, I do know where Carlos was. I was at work yesterday (at the aquarium in downtown DC) and someone said to me "Did you used to work at the National Zoo?" And I said yes, confusedly, because I was sure he wasn't someone I knew from the zoo. Then he said "Does the word 'Achewood' mean anything to you?"
So, I've been having a momentary micro-mini DC Ache-con, and getting bit by a snake. What's your excuses?
-
I have been here, and checking the boards. Nothing new had ever been posted.
I was so alone. So alone.
-
Also: J-Nisms, I know that you are alive. I have seen pictures, and pictures of clothing, etc. Do not avoid us. You know you need us.
-
I have been here, and checking the boards. Nothing new had ever been posted.
See, now, people, this is a problem. If you are looking and not posting because no one else has posted, and the next person is looking and not posting because no one else has posted... That's exactly when you need to take some initiative.
-
And what's more: If you are a Guest who finds us fascinating enough that you are reading nearly three year old "Happy Birthday, Wombat" threads, maybe it's time to register and pitch in?
-
I've become fascinated with flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/).
~Paul
-
Flickr is going to cause the end of civilization as we know it. All people typing 'halloween pug' into the Flickr search box and having to look at 600 pictures and never doing any work again much less posting on messageboards elsewhere... Don't say I didn't warn you.
-
Yesterday was a day for small tasks that needed doing (haircut, new footy kit) and today I had friends over and went to the old November the Fifth celebrations.
A penny loaf to feed the Pope.
A farthing o' cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A faggot of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head.
Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead.
Hip hip hoorah!
Hip hip hoorah!
-
"Footy kit"?
I've been avoiding the radio. I freaking hate federal open enrollment season and election time. They seem to just be alternating between insurance ads and capaigning during every commercial break.
Also I've been burning a bunch of stuff I downloaded from eMusic on to CDs.
-
Two things.
First, my policy is if yez ain't got nothin to say, say nothin.
Second, I will probably be a little out of pocket for the next few days. Mrs. West is having Lap-Band surgery (and Laproscopic gall bladder removal) tomorrow. I also have to be in court both tomorrow and Tuesday. Hectic!
-
First, my policy is if yez ain't got nothin to say, say nothin.
Second, I am nearly positive that a footy kit is a soccer jersey in the states.
-
Best of luck to Mrs. West!
I just haven't had that much to say, and I've been focused on schoolwork right now anyway. I've got an exam tomorrow and an exam on Tuesday, so my days may be numbered.
-
I'm moving to Chicago this week and between full-time work (remotely from Philly) and packing, visiting with people before I leave, and getting things ready in Chicago, I'm pretty swamped.
I'll probably post a lot less once I move, too. It's just how it goes. Can't really post to cartoon message boards when I'm on someone else's manor, you know?
-
Actually, I do know where Carlos was. I was at work yesterday (at the aquarium in downtown DC) and someone said to me "Did you used to work at the National Zoo?" And I said yes, confusedly, because I was sure he wasn't someone I knew from the zoo. Then he said "Does the word 'Achewood' mean anything to you?"
Well, sad to say I couldn't remember your real name (still can't, in fact). So I didn't just want to barge up all goin' "Izzat you, Wombat?" If it wasn't, I'd have been escorted from the building.
You know what i did today? I raked leaves. A bajillion fuck*ng leaves.
-
I saw the Borat movie, which was... pretty good. And hung out with my friends. So far, I haven't done any work, because I am a lazy bastard and all I have to do is read some stuff.
-
A dude was back East for a friend's wedding.
If flying economy can get more humiliating without the attendants just hauling off and punching you in the nuts, I'd like to see it. Five bucks for a "Snack Tray" of Oreos and a cheese wedge? Okay. Getting shoved into a tiny space like a calf to slaughter? All right.
But "You Me and Dupree"?
A line was crossed.
-
I saw that movie. Not gonna lie. I remember thinking one or more of the ladies in it was cute.
I hell of bitched about it, though. I was mostly there because all of my not-female friends were out of town. so.
yeah. sorry.
-
Where are those pictures?
~Paul
-
I'll probably post a lot less once I move, too. It's just how it goes. Can't really post to cartoon message boards when I'm on someone else's manor, you know?
Jough, it's been a really long time since you had a regular job, hasn't it? I mean, have you ever wondered why the board is so much more active on the weekdays than on the weekends?
-
Well, since you must know.
Let me share. I have just moved to a new house, and you know how messy and exhausting the whole process can be: You flee from your old house after it's been broken into twice by burglars, who took with them some cases containing musical equipment worth around R$4.000 (US$2,000) - guitar pedals and drumkit parts -, trying to avoid any further contact with your ever-helpful and well-meaning neighbour (who works as scout for the druglords from a nearby slum, and who has actually found the burglars as they were trying to pass on the stolen merchandise and cold killed them on the spot execution-style, returning said merchandise to us afterwards [for a small fee but of course] and even offering us some guns - "cyclops" as they are affectionately called here - so we could "set up a trap and just get rid of the rest of them thieves").
As it happens, he chanced to be around in the two occasions when the burglars broke into our place. On the second biff the perps managed to escape (alas, our neighbour was unarmed that time), not before they gave him a good thrashing (picture being sound asleep 10 am in a Sunday morning in a house that was supposed to be empty to be awaken by a loud banging on your door that, when opened, reveals a shirtless, wrecked mess of a man spitting blood on the corridor, spouting drug-addled nonsense about having just fought for YOUR material possessions, using maybe just a little tad much that ominous finger-pointing of street aggression right to your face while at it).
The second worst thing in the world is the cordial thug, I tell you.
So as you can see - Moving!
-
I know what you rabble do while at work, but I'm going to be pretty busy doing actual, like, work.
Yeah, it's been a while since I've technically been an employee, but I've worked on-site at client offices where I worked pretty much like a regular employee. Should be fine. I've seen Office Space, so I know what to expect. ;)
-
Yesterday was a day for small tasks that needed doing (haircut, new footy kit) and today I had friends over and went to the old November the Fifth celebrations.
Aww crud. I totally forgot the fifth of November, entirely contrary to all of the directives I have received.
-
(haircut, new footy kit)
Now... see... I know (or rather, think) that you guys call what I call "ground pong" and most Americans call "soccer" "footy" as short for "football" but... I'm at a loss for what a footy KIT would mean. There's a ball and... there's a ball. Cleats, I suppose. Eventually two nets if you're gonna get fancy.
But how they'd all fit in a "kit" is it like a little suitcase that has two INTENSELY collapsable nets in it?
I don't understand.
If a North American told me he or she was getting a haircut and a footy kit, I'd think that their barber sold a little kit for doing your own pedicures with, such as, nail clippers and files and a pumice stone and polishes and so on and so forth.
-
a "kit" in this context is what us 'mericans would call a "jersey," no?
Or what Canadians may call a "sweater," at least in hockey parlance.
-
a "kit" in this context is what us 'mericans would call a "jersey," no?
Really? Damn.
This is what I get for never hanging out with schmuck punk-poseurs who feel that being punk means peppering a Long Island accent with "shite" and "bollocks"... I've ended up so far behind on this sort of thing.
What would be the etemology of that usage, I wonder?
A kit is definitely a little box with stuff themed around doing a certain thing, at least in the American rural Northeast.
-
A footy kit is just the stuff you wear during a game of Association football. Top, shorts (long sleeves and trousers if you're a jessy, or a manager), 3/4 lengths, shinpads and studded boots. For professional teams, you'd refer to their 'kit' as what they wear during matches. 'Strip' might also be used.
Now that we have that sorted: cleats is possibly the worst word in the entire world.
-
Kit doesn't refer only to a football uniform, it's any outfit. Is this correct Jude?
~Paul
-
Footy kits aside, I've been tied up (not literally) with a frothy blend of "graduate school", "raising a toddler", and "trying to sell our house", with a twist of "autism," garnished with "triweekly speech therapy" and a tiny paper umbrella.
Also I had (still have) a cold and felt like hoss puckey all weekend.
Neat, though, that Wombat and Carlos got to meet! Are there pictures?
-
...I've been tied up (not literally)...
Most Unfortunate
-
Neat, though, that Wombat and Carlos got to meet! Are there pictures?
Unfortunately not since it was unexpected. I used to take a camera to work all the time actually, but there doesn't seem much point at an aquarium. Nearly everything is behind glass and under water so the pictures would be pretty lousy.
Isn't there a picture of Carlos from the last time we met, though? Oh yeah: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2038.msg43545.html#msg43545 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2038.msg43545.html#msg43545)
-
Unfortunately not since it was unexpected. I used to take a camera to work all the time actually, but there doesn't seem much point at an aquarium. Nearly everything is behind glass and under water so the pictures would be pretty lousy.
You could take a picture of a shoal of herring. Those guys photograph pretty nice.
-
Are there pictures?
Unfortunately not.
Ridiculous.
~Paul
-
I just remembered the other reason I don't always have my camera with me these days, when I went to download the pug pictures. It's that the rechargable battery is dying. It's doing that thing where no matter how long you charge it up, it loses power in a very short time.
I keep forgetting about this because I dread facing the prospect of trying to solve this problem. The camera's probably too old to buy a new battery.
-
EXCITING V-ADORE NEWS FLASH:
Second exam is done, concluding the 48 Hours Of Incredibly Poorly-Scheduled Terror. (Seriously, I can't get over the fact that I had an exam in each of my two classes, both of which are required for first-year graduate students in my program and thus have over 75% shared enrollment. Who decided it was a good idea to have back-to-back exams in the classes a whole lot of people are both taking?)
-
I'm sure there's plenty of bitter admin staff lifers that would love to inflict the ol' fear and loathing on your fresh young faces that you could eye as canidates.
(At least there was where I did the education thing)
Your only revenge?
Survival
-
After three name changes and over a week of delays, our product was finally submitted for approval at the end of a 16 hour Saturday. That gave us Sunday as our second day off since the beginning of October, which was neat. Then last night someone noticed a remaining instance of the original name, so trigger hectic calling-back-of-people-who-left-work-early-to-vote. Also, half of the team was replaced Monday.
Maybe in a month we will find out if the original plan for the complete product will be put in to effect, or alternately if we will be split up and reassigned. Most people on the project are temps, hired on an at-will basis (i.e., can be fired immediately and for no particular reason with no recompense). We have no idea what to expect for the future, and neither does management. Currently several of us are collaborating through three states on a project via IRC with no documentation and really no idea who we're talking to.
But I still can't wait to go in to work every day, which makes this in many ways the best job I've ever had.
So, yeah. Achewood's still pretty funny.
-
I've been thinking about posting some comments on Achewood strip threads, but most of the recent strips speak so eloquently for themselves I find any commentary I can think of uneccesary. That's why I haven't appeared at all over the last two months...
-
Kit doesn't refer only to a football uniform, it's any outfit. Is this correct Jude?
~Paul
Well, it's certainly applied to other sports, and stuff like hiking (hiking kit etc.). Apart from that, the only example I can think of when kit is used in relation to clothes is when you tell a beautiful woman/man to get their kit off. With any luck, nakedness ensues
-
Yes, that's my knowledge of the word. I assumed therefore, based on this that the term referred to any outfit, not just a sport uniform.
~Paul
-
Mrs. West is having Lap-Band surgery (and Laproscopic gall bladder removal) tomorrow.
I read this when you posted it, but it didn't register until just now. Best of luck to Mrs. West our prayers are with her. Also, save the gall bladder, it might be in a museum (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29375699@N00/227956118/)* someday.
~Paul
*Ok, that's an appendix, but whatever...
-
I meant to reply to this, too -- I had a "lap chole" (laproscopic gall bladder-ectomy) in May. The worst part was -- and I apologize in advance for this mental image -- having to expel all the gas they put in your digestive tract during the surgery. It's ridiculous. If I stayed in an upright position for too long, all the gas rose into my shoulder blades, of all places, so I spent two days flat on my back, and not in the good way.
I understand, however, that this is not an entirely usual reaction. So here's hoping Mrs. West is doing just dandy today.
-
Thank you for this, jl. I am supposed to have an ovarian cyst removed laparoscopically in December and I am hysterical about it. I have known too many animals who were just supposed to have their teeth cleaned or something and died from the anesthesia. Yes, I know they are better at it with people than with exotic animals. It's not helping. Anyway, now I can at least be thankful they are not also going to fill me up with gas.
-
Don't sweat it, laproscopy is a relatively easy recovery. However, do not assume that just because you only have three little teeny tiny holes in your body that you don't need to take the painkillers they give you. I know some people who shall remain nameless who believe that suffering makes them hard-core and taking medication makes them spineless wussies. Learn from my, I mean, their mistakes.
Besides, you know, free drugs.
-
Mrs. West is doing well. She was concerned about the gas thing, because they do that with the lap band too, but we haven't noticed any problem with it. She's still a little sore in spots, but is up and around and probably doing a little too much, but I can't stop her.
Anyhow, thanks for the good thoughts, I'll pass them on.
-
So I didn't die from the anesthesia and I am not full of gas but I have been very lethargic and am just getting around to finding this thread again, which was a lot of trouble, because how was I supposed to remember it was the 'where is everyone' thread that had turned to talk of surgery. But appropriate, because where the hell have you all been while I've been lying on the couch for four days looking for something to read? It has been so slow that I have been reduced to reading episode recaps of Gilmore Girls at Television Without Pity. (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.html) For shame, my imaginary friends, for shame.
I have not had a lot of pain, actually, except I think I strained something today. One of the things these written instructions tell me to avoid is 'excessive social activity.' Is that what you kids are calling it nowadays?
-
Is that how you strained yourself? Too much "social activity?"
-
So I didn't die from the anesthesia and I am not full of gas but I have been very lethargic and am just getting around to finding this thread again, which was a lot of trouble, because how was I supposed to remember it was the 'where is everyone' thread that had turned to talk of surgery. But appropriate, because where the hell have you all been while I've been lying on the couch for four days looking for something to read? It has been so slow that I have been reduced to reading episode recaps of Gilmore Girls at Television Without Pity. (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.html) For shame, my imaginary friends, for shame.
I have not had a lot of pain, actually, except I think I strained something today. One of the things these written instructions tell me to avoid is 'excessive social activity.' Is that what you kids are calling it nowadays?
Jesus, omba! Glad to have you back with us.
I have had ovarian cysts rupture several times, but they were all small enough (10cc's of fluid or less) that they didn't need to do surgery. I guess they would just wait around and see if I turned septic, or if my body stepped up to the plate and took care of it. Yuck.
And talk about PAINFUL. Ovarian cysts fuckin' suck. They are awful.
-
Dang, I have no idea what we are talking about, but, I am sorry ladies. This does not sound fun.
-
Too much "social activity?"
Ice cream social activity.
Box lunches, bicycles with one big wheel and two tiny ones, use of paper megaphones.
-
Well I will definitely stay off the pennyfarthing bicycles for now.
And now that I can pay more attention to other people's problems - why is it OK to take out someone's whole entire gall bladder?
-
Dang, I have no idea what we are talking about, but, I am sorry ladies. This does not sound fun.
Have you ever had your appendix rupture? That's what it feels like to have an ovarian cyst rupture. Let me see if I can paint a picture for you.
You're driving over to your boyfriend's house and you notice that you're having some really sharp, uncomfortable pains in your stomach. Once you get to his house, you start feeling queasy until you're so nauseated you can't do anything but lie on the couch. You figure it's the flu. Then you start vomiting and ****ing as if everything in your GI tract that ain't nailed down is fleeing for the nearest exit. The abdominal pain is so sharp and crushing, that it intensifies to the point where you can't walk. Your oxygen sats drop because it hurts too much to take a full breath. You're curled in the fetal position until finally your boyfriend drives you to the hospital. The triage nurse makes you take a pregnancy test to see if you're suffering from a tubal pregnancy, and when you show up as "not pregnant" she determines that you ain't gonna die anytime soon, and you have to sit in a crowded ER waiting room for three hours. You're so exhausted that you want to cry, but you don't have enough energy to sob. You lie down on the hard, cold floor because there's nowhere else to lay down.
Finally they put you on a gurney and wheel you to a room, but you can't have anything to drink. Your mouth is bone dry and you'd kill for some water. Since you're dehydrated from all the vomiting and ***ting, they give you IV fluids (3 liters total!). Your stomach hurts so fuck*ng bad you can't see straight. They give you a quart of contrast solution to drink for the MRI or PET scan or whatever. You throw that up too, so they have to give you iodine as a contrast even though you have a thyroid condition and ask for them not to do it. The iodine burns like hell when they inject it into your veins. They do the scan, and the tech finds about 10cc's (milliliters) of free fluid around your ovary. They won't give you any pain meds, but they do give you some anti-nausea meds in your IV. Finally the pain subsides. They do another blood test, and they see that your potassium and magnesium are down, so you get a small paper souffle cup with some supplements to take.
That's about it. They give you some vicodin, more anti-nausea meds, and you get sent home. If you get septic (an infection), then they instruct you to come back.
-
oof.
my favorite is when my mum had some kidney stones. She recognized what was going down (she had had them before) but the nurse refused to believe her because she was not curled up in a fetal position, screaming in pain, etc. And then they took her blood pressure and realized she was on the verge of going into shock.
As I said to my roommate when we were watching something about a lady getting breast-reduction surgery because of her intense back problems... I am glad all I have to worry about is going bald.
And growing unfortunate body hair.
and... probably other things which I'm not thinking of.
Linn/wombie/etc, that stone-cold sucks.
-
Whoa. The whole surgical experience sucked, but not as bad as that. I am officially going to try to stop whining now.
-
yeah, you think that was bad! I died!... Yesterday! And then, some people kicked my body!
this reminds me of a story my dad told me about when he was growing up-- that whenever he complained about anything to his dad, he basically said "it isn't as bad as getting shot at in WWII," and if he complained to his mom/aunts/etc they basically started talking about the Depression.
So yeah, Wombat, don't think your Sucky-Ass Surgery is not a legitimate thing. Basically having anything taken out, or cut up, or put in... sucks. A lot. Try real hard to resist the Excessive Social Activity. Best wishes.
-
Whoa. The whole surgical experience sucked, but not as bad as that. I am officially going to try to stop whining now.
DUDE! You have nothing to apologize for! I am glad that you got surgery and that you're doing better. It sounds like it was painful and the recovery time sucks...so be gentle with yourself and take plenty of time to recover!
My little tirade about my ruptured ovarian cysts wasn't meant as an "You think YOU had it rough..." it was more to illustrate to men and people without ovarian cysts how much they SUCK and to express my sympathy for you! I hope it didn't come across as being all lame. I'm going to be a much more aggro patient if I ever have that Experience again. :( I am sorry, omba!
-
I think maybe she was implying for you to stop whining too Linnea.
-
heh. Nothing you ladies have to go through can be as bad having to listen to all these WOMEN TALKING!
hah! am I right, guys? Am I right? *no one responds*
-
heh. Nothing you ladies have to go through can be as bad having to listen to all these WOMEN TALKING!
hah! am I right, guys? Am I right? *no one responds*
+can
-
Inev is on a roll this week. Can'd.
Also, Inev, HIGH FIVES on your statement.
-
dang. I should not-sleep more often. I feel... much more awake (?).
Although now I'm getting into this creepy stupor-type thing where I feel kind of numb.
Really the solution is to get on a healthier sleeping schedule with fewer random naps. As it is, my body thinks it is almost time to go to bed about 4 hours after I wake up (I shit you not. this is what happens if you go back to sleep after your first few classes.)
-
I was not implying anyone else should stop whining or was trying to one-up me. Seriously, I was counting my blessings. It is good to have a sense of perspective.
But wait - I did NOT mean that I was going to stop whining about people not posting enough. You guys have been slacking off! Yesterday was better. Keep up the good work.
-
Not to add to the list of woes, but I picked up a stomach parasite while in Indonesia, and was in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices for most of last week. I still feel like my insides are broken and am awaiting further test results before I can start treatment. Also, some serious personal life shit hit the fan. Hence not posting much.
-
Not to add to the list of woes, but I picked up a stomach parasite while in Indonesia, and was in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices for most of last week. I still feel like my insides are broken and am awaiting further test results before I can start treatment. Also, some serious personal life shit hit the fan. Hence not posting much.
Yikes. Prepare yourself for incoming Good Vibes. Transmitting in 3. 2. 1.
-
yeah, you think that was bad! I died!... Yesterday! And then, some people kicked my body!
This line made me snort ramen noodles up my nose.
+can
-
I can't decide which is worse, a stomach parasite or ramen noodles up your nose, but I continue to count my blessings.
-
I am sorry for everyone whose insides are broken. If it is any comfort, though, all the descriptions of inside-breaking in terms of being excruciating (a Xenomorph trapped in your abdominal cavity &c.) help to alleviate a weird hypochondriac fear I have had since young times that I might not recognize the signs of appendicitis/other assorted organ ruptures, think I just had the stomach flu or something, and die. It seems clear now that, should my appendix or anything else rupture, I will know very quickly and will presumably be able to get to the hospital in time.
-
Wait, that's a weird fear?