The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on November 26, 2006, 12:29:38 am
-
What are your favorite fragrances, and why?
My favorites:
- Angel by Thierry Mugler (kellichou, my twin sister, introduced me to this one)
- Kiehl's Original Musk
- Prada
- Bvlgari Pour Femme and Blv Notte Pour Femme
- Narcisco Rodriguez Musc For Her
There are two boutique perfumers that I've been reading a lot about, Serge Lutens (http://www.salons-shiseido.com) and Creed (http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/Creed). I'm really excited to try some of their fragrances. I am dying to try Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair, and A La Nuit by Serge Lutens, and also Millésime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed, and Love in White by Creed.
Is anyone else into fragrance, cologne, or perfume? I am getting ridiculously excited about it. For me, fragrance is an intensely personal thing, and it's very enigmatic. It is thrilling to me to learn about what makes up a fragrance, what different notes smell like, and why I like the fragrances that I do. Learning to smell fragrance is similar to tasting wine, and it's exciting to be able to decode and unlock mysterious perfume.
And talk about geek cred. Other than my boyfriend, my new favorite guy iis Luca Turin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Turin), a biophysicist who is also a leading expert on fragrance. I started reading a little bit about his background and his reviews on fragrance and was instantly hooked. He used to run a blog (http://lucaturin.typepad.com/), but now all you can get is a PDF of its archive (http://www.flexitral.com/research/Blogtextweb.pdf). I find his writing style to be very polished yet full of humor, and his insights into fragrance are fascinating.
Of course, wearing too much fragrance is disgusting and repulsive. Everyone has a horror story about someone who is a fragrance abuser and forcibly subjects others to their ineptitude. I like to wear tiny amounts of fragrance so that people can only smell it if they hug me or are in close contact.
I'm currently waiting for a bunch of decanted fragrance to show up that I ordered on eBay (Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan, Badgley Mishka, Kiehl's Musk), and I want to order a bunch more. Augh! I swear, I can't hold onto a dollar with both hands. I started to really get into fragrance when Kellichou and I went to Nordstrom and a very knowledgeable saleswoman told us all about the House of Bulgari (Bvlgari is how it's also spelled). I got us some Blv Notte and fell in love right there. It's all been downhill from there. I'm really hoping that I hate Muscs Koublai Khan, because it costs €100 ... and it's only available in Europe, which means I'd have to either pay a scalper $200 on eBay for it, or try to bribe a European friend to let me ship it to them, and then pay them to ship it to me. Sigh. Why can't they just export it, dammit? Hopefully I'll hate it.
-
Cologne (and perfume) should only be smelled by the wearer and the person the wearer is kissing.
I'm not that into cologne, so I rarely wear it; I will happily do so on special occassions. I like DKNY Men, and the missus likes some Halsten number on me. She likes to wear Givenchy, but also uses an Arden perfume I gave her that I liked. It's not a thing with us. We're shoe people. You have to have nice shoes. And kitchen equipment.
-
I considered buying some Happy for Men when it first came out. This is as close as I've ever come to wearing a fragrance. Oddly, any girl I've seriously dated hasn't worn perfume.
-
Deodorant and other fragrances show the selgiraffeness and stupidity of the west as good as anything can.
-
I'll selgiraffely not want to ride the bus with you.
-
Being partly-Italian, deodorant is a must for me. Generally, some sort of waxy white stick.
Very occasionally, I'll wear a "vanilla for men" kinda cologne. That's as far as it goes.
Usually, people smelling like something other than people weirds me out.
An instinctive reflex of "wait... she doesn't smell like people, what's wrong with her?" will sometimes spill out of my subconscious.
Of course, I'm also not attracted to women with tattoos, lots of piercings, who wear more than just a little make-up, etc. So it's probably a me thing.
-
Creed Sux.
-
Well, ideally (as far as I know) it should be applied not to the effect of "this human does not smell human" but rather "this human smells like a human who has been exposed to/is carrying pleasant-smelling things".
Like the intestinal tract of a sperm whale.
-
hmm. I do not wear any fragrance other than deodorant. although I have been told that I have chosen a good variety-- people constantly ask what cologne I'm wearing, where they can buy it, etc. my girlfriend occasionally wears a little of the smelly stuff herself, but nothing too much. I have noticed: it may smell different, but it every variety tastes the same if some rubs off on your lips. (do not be thinking anything weird is going on here. a kiss under the chin is well within the laws of decency.) I like the natural smell of a person, as long as it isn't too bad. You know how it goes.
the worst thing, smell wise, I have experienced recently: i wore a shirt which I thought was newly washed (I haven't been home in a while, so, I assumed. since it was in my closet at home.) I sniffed it, and it smelled fine. I drove about 15-20 minutes to pick up my lady. Upon arrival, I realized that this shirt was not so clean. It had a Potent and Generously Applied odor. Of course, at this point it was a little too late to change shirts. that was no good at all. I found myself thinking "if romeo had had a stench like this, they would have only gotten like 3 pages into that book."
Luckily, my main squeeze had a molly-like understanding, once I explained that it was an Antique Odor, and that I had thought that the shirt was clean. She's good at taking stupid things I do into stride-- which, I believe, makes her "a keeper."
-
Deodorant and other fragrances show the selgiraffeness and stupidity of the west as good as anything can.
I agree in a purely hypothetical sense, but in a society where sweaty armpits are a social faux pas I take the easy route and use the old Lynx roll-on (anyone who uses spray deodorant: please don't). I readily concede that such an action is selgiraffe, stupid and a symptom of a deep dissatisfaction with the way I am naturally.
Anyhow, I'm not too keen on purely 'for smell' fragrances. In the East there are lands where men force women to hide their facial features; in the West it's the same but they use make-up and perfume veils.
This is a tricky thing because I know women mainly wear cosmetics to make themselves feel good, but at the same time they might only feel good because they know they have less chance of success if they don't artificially improve their appearance in a very much aesthetics-based world.
Though, I shouldn't judge such matters because I don't wear fragrance or perfume. Yet?
Edit: Oh, and as a small rebuttal to Keith that probably doesn't hold much weight, I believe civilisations from the Ancient Egyptians onwards have used things like rose as fragrance, so calling fragrance a sign of Western stupidity isn't necessarily right.
-
may I assume, keith, that you also don't believe in the shaving of body hair? that seems just about as unnecessary, to me.
-
I had the impression that These Kids Today believed in taking off all possible body hair, including from places that my generation never thought of, um, depilating. (I had to look that up to make sure there was a verb.) Not true?
-
anyone who uses spray deodorant: please don't
Why does anyone else's choice of deodorant form matter to you? I'm just curious why you're anti-spray - not only for yourself, but for everyone else. The cans haven't used CFCs in years, so it's not for the environment. Must be something else.
And it's not selgiraffe to not smell bad - it's altruistic. Even if you don't mind your own body odour, you should bathe and make yourself smell nice for the courtesy of others, you selgiraffe stinky bastard.
-
Why does anyone else's choice of deodorant form matter to you? I'm just curious why you're anti-spray - not only for yourself, but for everyone else. The cans haven't used CFCs in years, so it's not for the environment. Must be something else.
I assumed he meant because spray deodorants are the least effective. So you might not realize that your spray is wearing off at like 10am.
-
I assumed he meant because spray deodorants are the least effective. So you might not realize that your spray is wearing off at like 10am.
Yep, and they're really quite anti-social in the sense of communal living. If someone uses deodorant in a particular room, that room isn't particularly pleasant to be in until the smell fucks off. This is mainly an issue on whether you use a lot of spray deodorant; if you don't use much, you still sweat, use too much and you make the place marginally less attractive in terms of nasal pleasure.
Also Jough, I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I can assure you that although I might be a selgiraffe bastard, I pride myself on being more hygienic and less BO-y than the average bloke my age. I don't suppose that's difficult.
Without meaning to turn this into a fully fledged debate: sure, it's altruistic to not smell, but (and this can apply to a lot of things) you are using planet-damaging things like plastic and chemicals (I'm pretty sure the factories of deodorant have a waste product... I have no evidence for this right now) just to make yourself smell better.
-
Well, my spray can contains less plastic than your roll-on, and doesn't need to use extra chemicals to make the deodorant chemicals form a roll-on-able paste. I used to use a roll-on but switched to spray because I got better coverage and found it lasted longer. YMMV.
-
yeah, um, womby, I was trying to make a point. I love me some hairless Areas (of the body, not necessarily The Area). I mean, as much as the next fellow... it isn't some kind of Thing for me or anything. If you took a survey of "how much hair do you like on your lady," my name would be right in the fuckin' middle.
Basically what I'm trying to say is, at this point in my life I'm just happy that The Area exists.
-
I had the impression that These Kids Today believed in taking off all possible body hair, including from places that my generation never thought of, um, depilating. (I had to look that up to make sure there was a verb.) Not true?
It is always so weird to be in the locker room. I'm sure that all the women from older generations are saying, "OMG, it must be a generational thing..." to themselves, while I'm thinking, "Whoa! A muffro! I haven't had one of those since I was 15."
-
linnea, please tell me that is not a real word/slang term. please. please.
I am afraid to look it up using the internet. please tell me that is just a clever thing you came up with, just now.
-
linnea, please tell me that is not a real word/slang term. please. please.
Well, if it isn't, I'm going to do all that I can to see that it becomes one.
-
Basically what I'm trying to say is, at this point in my life I'm just happy that The Area exists.
Aw, that's so sweet.
-
I'm glad that you said that instead of "creepy." I was treading a fine line there, I think.
-
linnea, please tell me that is not a real word/slang term. please. please.
I am afraid to look it up using the internet. please tell me that is just a clever thing you came up with, just now. Well, if it isn't, I'm going to do all that I can to see that it becomes one.
It was just something that I thought of while typing. Man, it just seems so antiquated. I'm sure that there are hipsters that are proudly wearing it in an ironic fashion.
-
It always feels a little like Christmas when you first unpant a lady and see that she's taken the care to at least trim The Area. Although I have to say that shaving in any kind of shape, like a heart, makes me think of porn stars and then my mind instantly dives into Disease. And then Mr. Happy takes a respite.
-
wow, do people actually do that? Good lord.
Why would that happen.
-
I had the impression that These Kids Today believed in taking off all possible body hair, including from places that my generation never thought of, um, depilating. (I had to look that up to make sure there was a verb.) Not true?
Wait, I thought we were in the same generation...cause My lady is nice enough to present a fairly smooth Area and Iove that.
-
I think variety is the spice of life.
~Paul
-
Wait, I thought we were in the same generation...cause My lady is nice enough to present a fairly smooth Area and Iove that.
I guess for everything there are people who were the early adopters...
And are the gentlemen expected to trim Mr Happy's area as well? And wait a minute, weren't we talking about perfume? Damn Internet, only one thing on its mind.
-
I think "perfume" I think of my favourite scents and then it just goes downhill from there.
-
womby-- maybe some people change their grooming habits over time?
-
And are the gentlemen expected to trim Mr Happy's area as well? And wait a minute, weren't we talking about perfume? Damn Internet, only one thing on its mind.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/bensanaz/doompatrolv2-43-dyegreen.jpg)
-
Well, basically my statement was semi-theoretical. People do a lot of dumb, wasteful things. I think a shower is alot different than those, just because you feel like shit if you aren't clean. I probably shower three to four times a week. I haven't worn cologne since i was like 13-14, and only wear deodarant if I have a hot date or a particularly long day. I shave because I cannot grow a full beard, so it is a little different (not really, but kind of), and I haven't had a hair cut since saint patricks day. I am sure my next hair cut will be much like my last 5 or 6, wait until it gets really long and shave it myself.
Basically, read Jusy or LFM first post for a better, less rash version of what I meant.
-
Well, basically my statement was semi-theoretical. People do a lot of dumb, wasteful things. I think a shower is alot different than those, just because you feel like shit if you aren't clean. I probably shower three to four times a week. I haven't worn cologne since i was like 13-14, and only wear deodarant if I have a hot date or a particularly long day. I shave because I cannot grow a full beard, so it is a little different (not really, but kind of), and I haven't had a hair cut since saint patricks day. I am sure my next hair cut will be much like my last 5 or 6, wait until it gets really long and shave it myself.
Basically, read Jusy or LFM first post for a better, less rash version of what I meant.
Whoa. I have a really bizarre mental image of you based on these posts in this thread.
Wombat: I hear that young gentlemen are also into trimming or shaving. There's a cultural shift going on. Ever since the Brazillian wax craze, some women have been going Sphynx-bald. And as the standards for women have changed, the concept of male beauty has changed too. As Dan Savage says, out goes the virile manly-man such as Burt Reynolds, and in comes the new hairless male beauty a' la Ashton Kutcher.
Dan Savage's "Savage Love" column, Nov 6 - Nov 12, 2003 (http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/SavageLove?issue=30115)
I need help understanding a recently observed trend. As a physician, I see lots of naked bodies. For several years I've noticed that, generally speaking, many straight patients (men and women) in their 20s have trimmed and/or coiffed pubic hair. A lot of the men tell me that their girlfriends prefer it that way; some have said, "It makes me feel cooler and cleaner." Occasionally I have to treat folliculitis (an infection/inflammation at the base of the hair follicles) caused by overaggressive shaving. Recently I have noticed many of my 14- to 16-year-old male patients have completely trimmed off their pubic hair. What gives? When I was that age, I anxiously awaited a full set.
Pursuing Understanding by Inquiring Columnist
Women have long felt it necessary to shave their legs, pits, forearms, wrists, backs, shins, and ankles, PUBIC. Then about 10 years ago stylish women began having their pubic hairs ripped out at the roots. Surely you've heard of the Brazilian bikini wax, Doc? The pubeless look was popularized, in my opinion, by several cultural trends: the mainstreaming of pornography; teeny-tiny bathing suits; and awful, unflattering low-rise jeans. Naturally bushy women went from trimming to li'l Hitler mustaches to complete deforestation in under a decade.
At the same time deforestation was becoming the beauty ideal for women, PUBIC, male homosexuals were taking over American cultural life. That our culture is now thoroughly dominated by gay men is not some paranoid Christian conservative's fantasy, PUBIC, but a fact of life. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy confirmed something everyone already knows: Outside of rap and hiphop culture, stylish gay men--not all gay men, mind you, just the stylish ones--are the only tastemakers. And gay men weren't content to just setting tastes in jackets and hair products and cowhide accent chairs. Hardly. We were, however subtly, setting sexual tastes as well. Out went the virile man (So long, Burt Reynolds!) and in came the vulnerable boy (Hello, Ashton Kutcher!). Soon the kind of guys most gay men want to fuck became the kind of guys most straight women want to fuck, the male beauty ideal every bit as hairless as its female counterpart.
The funny thing about declaring smooth, hairless skin sexy, PUBIC, is that once you start stigmatizing some body hair--back hair, chest hair, ass hair--it's only a matter of time before all body hair is deemed unattractive. Women started having their pubes yanked out because body hair on women had long been seen as unattractive and unfeminine; once they were required to wear outfits that basically exposed everything but their vulvas, off came the pubic hair. Men began shaving off their chest hair in response to a gay-dictated male beauty ideal and gradually bought into the idea that body hair--including pubic hair--was just as unattractive on males as it was on females. And you're seeing the results of this cultural shift every time one of your 16-year-old male patients drops his drawers.
For the record, I'm not endorsing any of this. While I'm a longtime supporter of the reigning beauty ideal--I like 'em lean and hairless, always have, so I've got no complaints about the current beauty ideals, thank you very much--I know there are people out there who feel differently. Indeed, a pro-hair backlash is already under way.
I am a 15-year-old male with a question--what is proper etiquette regarding pubic hairs? I will soon be having my first sexual experience and was just wondering whether or not the majority of women prefer the area hairless or not.
Condoms and Manners
The proper etiquette regarding pubes, CAM, can be summed up in three words: Keep it clean. (...) Take a shower, CAM.
Now some women will, without a doubt, prefer you to trim or arrive hairless; some, however, will prefer that you arrive with all the hair God saw fit to grow down there. If you're indifferent on the pubic-hair issue, if your partner's wishes are more important than your own, I would urge you to make the young woman in your life an offer: Tell her that how much or how little pubic hair you have is entirely up to her. If she likes it trimmed, she can trim it. If she would prefer you hairless, she can shave your pubes off herself.
-
Well, ideally (as far as I know) it should be applied not to the effect of "this human does not smell human" but rather "this human smells like a human who has been exposed to/is carrying pleasant-smelling things".
Like the intestinal tract of a sperm whale.
Ahhh, ambergris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris). That stuff is worth more than its weight in gold, you know. I keep hoping that I'll find a huge chunk of it while I'm out beachcombing and make enough money from selling it to take a very nice vacation, preferably someplace warm. Please, sperm whales, vomit some ambergris and float it over to me. I want to visit Paris.
I was reading about another fascinating fragrance, Arabian Oud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarwood), which is the most expensive wood in the world and is formed as a result of the tree's immune response to fungal infection. Supposedly, oud/agarwood smells like ambergris, jasmine, earth and wood notes.
-
man. Part of the reason I am afraid to express any preference for degree of Deforestation is that I am worried I will be told to Depilate myself. And that is just not happening, sorry ladies. I am not a manly man to begin with, and I am not exacerbating this by removing any hair. from that area, at least.
although right now, what I'm really worried about is going bald. and gaining hair in unfortunate places. I noticed while home for thanksgiving that one of my friends has a severely receding hairline already, and now I'm scared.
which brings us back to a thread we had months ago.
-
I think my final word on this topic is, I like mammals. I think we should appreciate what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom instead of plucking it all out.
-
The direction this thread took kinda reminds me:
Just once I'd like to take a break from my daily breaking-my-ass labour and blow a little discretionary ca$h on something I acknowledge as a luxuery such as smelling good or maybe a fancy ass meal of somethings unborn young without being reminded what a wrong minded earth killing I-have-no-right-because-of-other-poorer-parts-of-the-world schmuck-tard I am.
I mean shit.
-
I think we should appreciate what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom instead of plucking it all out.
Agreed. Ripped-out opposable thumbs = not sexy.
-
The direction this thread took kinda reminds me:
Just once I'd like to take a break from my daily breaking-my-ass labour and blow a little discretionary ca$h on something I acknowledge as a luxuery such as smelling good or maybe a fancy ass meal of somethings unborn young without being reminded what a wrong minded earth killing I-have-no-right-because-of-other-poorer-parts-of-the-world schmuck-tard I am.
I mean shit.
Heh! That was classic. A can for you, good sir.
-
Alls I'm saying is that if there are REALLY people out there who shape their pubic hairs for the purposes of irony?
Then I am hitting a tiny switch on the wall. This switch is totally to all the lights in Western Civilization. I'm turning the lights out, we're done.
Barbarians at the gates, start your engines, we have ironic pubics, we've given up completely.
-
I'm with you, LFM. I'll bring the candles and the deodorant.
-
Oh sweet baby Jesus...
I just tried more samples from Serge Lutens. I'm in love with Borneo 1834, another non-export fragrance. If anyone lives in the EU or England, could I buy a bottle, send it to you from Paris, and then pay you to ship it to the US?
-
Okay, I found someone in Paris (a Canadian expatriate) who will send me the goods. Now I've just gotta figure out which of the "Exclusive" line I will get. I also have to be willing to put in an 8-10 week wait because EVERYTHING takes effing forever to be shipped to me from the EU. Bastards.
I've also fallen in love with L'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu. It was released in 1993 and it was developed by acclaimed "nose" Bertrand Duchaufour. It's heavenly. I'm getting a bottle ASAP. I got a sample of it at Barney's and received lots of compliments when I wore it.
Top Notes
* Mango, Berries, Pink Pepper, Cardamom
Middle Notes
* Karo Karounde Flower, Papyrus Wood, Frankincense
Base Notes
* Myrrh, Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin
-
Did you hear about the new scent made based on the notes of Marie Antoinette's perfumer? The notes were found a few years back, and they've spent the last while making it marketable. The name's in french, and translates roughly to The Aroma/Trail of the Queen.
-
I saw a fragrance named "Pi" the other day - but not the word, the symbol. It cost $34.95, but I thought it should have been only $31.41.
-
I saw a fragrance named "Pi" the other day - but not the word, the symbol. It cost $34.95, but I thought it should have been only $31.41.
Heh... you get a can, good sir. Givenchy should've set a more appropriate MSRP on Pi.
-
Thanks. I will draft a letter (sealed with my waxen crest [two falcons fighting over a Nintendo Wii-mote] and perfumed with the scent in question) to Givenchy posthaste and upload it along with my photo of the perfume box to my Flickr page.
Tally ho!
-
UNGH! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110076413897)
Oh god dammit. This stupid perfume retails for like $180.
I don't have an income problem, I have a spending problem.
-
Jeez, perfume is really expensive.
-
OOOOOOH, FUCK YES BABY.
I now have a 100mL bottle of Musc Ravageur and a 100mL bottle of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu. They are sex in a bottle. I am hella pleased.
-
100 ml seems like a tiny amount. it only takes a tiny spritz to get hell of smellz, right?
-
100 ml seems like a tiny amount. it only takes a tiny spritz to get hell of smellz, right?
100mL is actually a rather large bottle of perfume. You get about seven to ten sprays for every milliliter of perfume.
Simply put...I have 19 bottles of perfume in various stages of consumption that, all told, total about 1,050 mL in volume. I only use two to four sprays each day. If I were to double my usage to EIGHT sprays a day, it would still take me 918 days to finish off my entire collection. O_o
...I think I need to find a new hobby. I'm totally retarded over this stuff.
-
it's ok. I have 33 days worth of mp3's on my computer. A vast majority of them, I have never listened to (although this is skewed-- a bunch of them came from CDs which I have listened to many times, and the count of what had been played and what hadn't got wiped when I transferred them to my new computer.)
that's not even including my 70 or so records. I probably haven't listened to a dozen or so of those (or, I've listened to the A side, and then lost interest/fallen asleep before the B side.)
collecting is inherently a silly thing.
-
I got a case on the wall full of Zippo lighters, another dozen or so in a box, and an unopened package from an eBay lot of like 8 that I never cleaned up and re-wicked. I became a cigar smoker and the naphtlene Zippo fluid is not ideal to light a stogie. I haven't used a Zippo in like 3 years.
The case on the wall looks kind of classy though, I got all my nice ones in there.
-
it's ok. I have 33 days worth of mp3's on my computer. A vast majority of them, I have never listened to (although this is skewed-- a bunch of them came from CDs which I have listened to many times, and the count of what had been played and what hadn't got wiped when I transferred them to my new computer.)
that's not even including my 70 or so records. I probably haven't listened to a dozen or so of those (or, I've listened to the A side, and then lost interest/fallen asleep before the B side.)
collecting is inherently a silly thing.
If I ripped every song from every CD I'd probably have like 24 days. But I usually pick out just the songs I'll actually feel like listening to and rip those. But I still find 12 days pretty overwhelming.
-
yeah. I have made a Smart Playlist of songs with 0 plays-- so I'm slowly working through all of them.
-
If I ripped every song from every CD
Yeah I did that, it's 73.9 days. Wow.
-
89.2 days here, bitches.
Admittedly, there's probably a good week or two of just Radiohead shows. I went a little crazy downloading every show from the Hail to the Thief tour a couple years ago. It was just cool to have every show. For some of them, I have more than one recording.
-
89.2 days here, bitches.
Admittedly, there's probably a good week or two of just Radiohead shows. I went a little crazy downloading every show from the Hail to the Thief tour a couple years ago. It was just cool to have every show. For some of them, I have more than one recording.
Damn, you are even more obsessed with Radiohead than I am. I've only got about 20 Radiohead shows. Hey, I was at some of those shows, it was a great tour. Which is the best HTTT show? Earls Court 11-27-03? That's my fave. Do you have the Houston show? That's the only one of the shows I saw that I don't have.
-
I will be able to approach your heights when I am older, and have disposable income, or I am able to download music.
right now I buy a CD or so a month. Unless I am home... at those times I go hog-wild.
It is weird shopping for things knowing that I actually have a budget. When I lived at home, my budget was "I have 40 dollars in my pocket. I can buy as many CDs as that is." Now it's all "I have 500$ to last me the rest of the semester, plus some cash from my parents which is ostensibly for food. What is an OK amount to spend on CDs out of this?"
-
I think I have that Houston show. I was there also. The best part was that almost no one came to Supergrass. I yelled a song for them to play, and they did. Then they threw a drumstick our way, but it went over our heads. I will see if I have it.
-
Wow.. I only have 11.5 days' worth of music on my computer.
-
I totally missed Supergrass, but not because I didn't want to see them, but due to delay. How's the quality of the recording on that Houston show?
-
I couldn't find it, but I only looked real quick as I am having some serious shit to deal with recently. I'll try again later, my roommate definately has it. I am not sure on quality.
-
Yarrr! god dammit, do not sully my thread with supergrass. What the hell is supergrass, anyway? this thread is about perfume, bitches!
-
2007 TOUAMBie nominee for most hijacked thread
-
(I am sorry. I am really good at doing that.)
-
Speaking of grass, and perfume... remember that GAP perfume... Grass? I liked it, but the smell wore off almost immediately.
When it comes to perfume, I usually choose things that are very clean, almost soap like, and very, very subtle. My aim is to never get the "what scent are you wearing?" question, but rather the "Hey you smell good. Is it soap or shampoo or what?" question.
My favorites are Banana Republic "W" and Cool Water. I wear perfume fairly rarely though, and I get really angry at other people when they are anything above the "faint aroma when they stand close" marker. I was contemplating talking down a co-worker who stunk up the office with a lingering, heavy perfum-y smell long after she left. I hate that shit. Also, I was pissed off at a friend for an entire drive because he'd engulfed himself in a cloud of that Ax shit seconds before getting in my car. What the hell? Don't do that!
-
Also, I was pissed off at a friend for an entire drive because he'd engulfed himself in a cloud of that Ax shit seconds before getting in my car. What the hell? Don't do that!
Why are you friends with a 14 year-old boy who "reads" both Maxim and FHM?
-
I get really angry at other people when they are anything above the "faint aroma when they stand close" marker.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the overperfumed, but i've thought about this, i'd rather rather be in the presence of someone who is over perfumed than someone who smells... unclean.
-
The best thing is when their perfume is tantalisingly tangible only when you are very close with the person, yet the aroma sticks to your clothes for the rest of the day.
-
I'm a fan of a less perfume-y smell. Soap and shampoo are good.
But sometimes a hint of Perfum. is good.
-
Why are you friends with a 14 year-old boy who "reads" both Maxim and FHM?
The answers to that are complicated and illegal. (Actually it was my trashy homo friend, probably attempting to mask the odor of man on man sex action.)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the overperfumed, but I've thought about this, I'd rather rather be in the presence of someone who is over perfumed than someone who smells... unclean.
I don't know - if someone stinks of B.O. or pee or something, it doesn't give me an angry headache like a nose-rape-fog of perfume does. I was on the bus, and as usual, there were the unpleasant odors - mostly focused around an old, dishevelled man who had most definitely shit himself... that's not easy either... but there's something so inconsiderate about the over application of perfume because it's so intentional.
I do have to agree with inev. a faint perfume up close is very nice. I am not anti-perfume, just anti-over-perfuming.
Also on a sort of related note: to linnea and everybody interested in scent,it's power, etc. - I suggest the book Perfume (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(book)). I'm curious about the film version (http://www.perfumemovie.com/) which came out in limited release in Dec 2006 and was directed by the director of Run Lola Run.
-
The answers to that are complicated and illegal. (Actually it was my trashy homo friend, probably attempting to mask the odor of man on man sex action.)
You know, maybe it's just me, and maybe I'd change this decision if exposed to the relative fragrances for too long? But I think I'd rather have someone close to me smell like man on man sex action than smell like Ax. I mean, at least the sex-action smell indicates you can get laid.
-
corollary: old ladies, losing their sense of smell, over-apply perfume.
-
The answers to that are complicated and illegal. (Actually it was my trashy homo friend, probably attempting to mask the odor of man on man sex action.)
I don't know - if someone stinks of B.O. or pee or something, it doesn't give me an angry headache like a nose-rape-fog of perfume does. I was on the bus, and as usual, there were the unpleasant odors - mostly focused around an old, dishevelled man who had most definitely shit himself... that's not easy either... but there's something so inconsiderate about the over application of perfume because it's so intentional.
I do have to agree with inev. a faint perfume up close is very nice. I am not anti-perfume, just anti-over-perfuming.
Also on a sort of related note: to linnea and everybody interested in scent,it's power, etc. - I suggest the book Perfume (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(book)). I'm curious about the film version (http://www.perfumemovie.com/) which came out in limited release in Dec 2006 and was directed by the director of Run Lola Run.
Jesus H. Christ, smells, you're basking in the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper GLORY. I almost pee'd myself laughing.
And yes...I'm DYING to see Perfume. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD. A famous French haute-couture designer named Thierry Mugler (who made one of my favorite perfumes, Angel, as a groundbreaking never-before-seen gourmand blockbuster back in 1992 -- he also apparently does costume design for Cirque de Soleil)...made a heavenly $700 perfume coffret (http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/2006/11/thierry_mugler_.html) based upon the film. Fourteen perfumes in all.
-
Again, me with the skipping of most of the threads in between.
If you get a chance, I suggest visiting the French city of Eze (http://www.eze-riviera.com/), pretty much the perfume center of the world. They have tours and yaddah yaddah. I believe most perfumes are made outside of Eze now, but that was pretty much where it all got started, at least for the West. Plus, it's on the Mediterranean, and is tout a fait charmante. Can't beat that.
Oh, and to answer your original question, my perfume of choice is Roberto Cavalli's Oro. I'm discovering it's getting harder and harder to find, a fact which vexes me greatly.
-
Oh maaaan... I got a tiny sample of Annick Goutal's Songes in an order of decants from eBay.
I have always hated white florals...but this one is pure lusciousness. I ordered 10mL and now I'm really considering buying a bottle of the EDP. It's amazing. It has notes of frangipani, ylang-ylang, jasmine, and vanilla. Most white florals smell terrible on me, but this one is just delicious and sexy. It was just released in 2006.
The only other white floral I own is Serge Lutens' A La Nuit which is like standing on a balcony on a hot summer night and being enveloped by the rich aroma of night blooming jasmine.
I never thought I'd like such a girly-girl perfume, but I adore it!
-
Linnea, you should add a choice to your survey: "I would love to wear it every day, but can't afford it." That's my choice. I'm a "wear perfume daily" person, but I'm the sole income in our household, and I'm a public school teacher and ballet dancer for a small company. Not your most lucrative careers. ;) And since I would rather wear no perfume than cheapass Walgreen's perfume, I wear none, saving my expensive and precious (and now increasingly rare--hmph--Roberto Cavalli's "Oro") for special occasions. Someday I hope to wear it daily, since that is my personality to do so.
-
You can always buy decants on eBay. You'd be surprised how long a 5mL bottle will last.
I just put on Montale's Black Aoud from a sample that I received today. I liked it at first but goddamn is it strong! Agarwood/aoud/oud has a strong almost medicinal smell, which I like. It's formed from a special type of tree's immune system response when the tree is attacked by some sort of parasite or fungus. Montale added rose attar and other scents to this aoud. The rose is killing me because it's too strong. I guess that he put it in there so its sweetness and floral-ness will temper the aoud and soften it, but I'd rather have the aoud without the rose. Or maybe a different flower instead of rose. I will have to experiment with aoud.
I guess it's a good thing that I don't really like it, because it's expensive.
-
Linnea:
Have you ever tried any of the stuff from bpal (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/)? People seem to be pretty crazy about them. My ladyfriend likes "Zombi" "Wrath" and "Dirt".
(For our 7th anniversary in a couple weeks, I picked her up a few samples of some other stuff, and a locket. The locket ended up coming with a bunch of samples. In an attempt to see what they smelled like, I got "Wilde" all over my hand. I have a feeling that either the cat may be out of the bag, or she may start suspecting that I've started a tryst with a Dead, Irish, homosexual playwrite.)
-
Linnea:
Have you ever tried any of the stuff from bpal (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/)? People seem to be pretty crazy about them. My ladyfriend likes "Zombi" "Wrath" and "Dirt".
(For our 7th anniversary in a couple weeks, I picked her up a few samples of some other stuff, and a locket. The locket ended up coming with a bunch of samples. In an attempt to see what they smelled like, I got "Wilde" all over my hand. I have a feeling that either the cat may be out of the bag, or she may start suspecting that I've started a tryst with a Dead, Irish, homosexual playwrite.)
Oooohhh.... the descriptions from BPAL sound awesome. I will have to check them out. Hopefully I'll get a job soon - I had a really great interview today. I did not wear any perfume to the interview, it's just too dicey. I wear really small amounts and I spray it underneath my shirt so that I'm not a walking fumigator, but it's still prudent to avoid. You never know who will interview you, and they might be allergic to perfume.
-
Whatever happened to Muse?
Also, good luck on the job front, Linnea.
-
Whatever happened to Muse?
One of us retired that sock-puppet, but I can't remember which one it was.
-
One of us retired that sock-puppet, but I can't remember which one it was.
Whoa!
-
One of us retired that sock-puppet, but I can't remember which one it was.Whoa!
I...I feel so used. She seemed so real!
-
...I was under the assumption she was a real person as well.
Am I dumb or do I just not pay close enough attention?
-
yeah. I was pretty sure she was For Real.
-
Oh I'm sure she was real. Nabu's just having you on.
-
Hey! Cut that out!
-
Unless Nabu and Muse are really the same person...
Just think, do you ever see the two of them together?
-
...I was under the assumption she was a real person as well.
Am I dumb or do I just not pay close enough attention?
yeah. I was pretty sure she was For Real.
Keith, these two are in your stash again.
-
At this rate, it's going to turn out that the entire board is just two people having endless sockpuppet conversations with each other.
I'm probably not one of the real posters, either. Bother.
-
At this rate, it's going to turn out that the entire board is just two people having endless sockpuppet conversations with each other.
I'm probably not one of the real posters, either. Bother.
There might just be one of us - which reminds me, we probably ought to get back to work.
-
There are only two people posting on this board.
Chris Onstad and Chris Onstad.
-
There are only two people posting on this board.
Chris Onstad and Chris Onstad.
Well, how else do you suppose he practices such rich characterization for his comic and blogs?
-
Well, how else do you suppose he practices such rich characterization for his comic and blogs?
Don't you mean YOUR comic and blogs...
I mean, don't you mean MY comic and...
OUR comic...
Crap. My brain broke.
-
So I had to sell almost my entire collection after my employer fucked me out of $1,900 that they initially promised to me in moving costs. However, I got damn close to retail since I sold the bottles to friends of mine on fragrance forums. I only had a couple embarrassing offers from assholish vultures who saw my post that I was hard-up. One fucktard deigned to offer me $35 for a 99% full bottle of Creed that cost me ninety-eight bucks. Fuck you, asshole. Obviously the perfume went to someone more deserving and less rapacious.
ANYWAY... we all know that Serge Lutens is crack in a bottle and my favorite parfumeur. You guys might probably know that I have a weakness for jasmine since my two favorite perfumes are Annick Goutal's Songes and Lutens' A La Nuit, and tangentially that I adore all things purple (as evidenced by my love of Prince*)
Feast your eyes on this (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2007/07/sarrasins_by_serge_lutens_scen.html) (scroll down past the gaudy header to see the perfume bottles (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/images/serge%20lutens_Sarrasins.jpg)). €850 for the fancy bottle, which is a limited edition of thirty. That's $1,162 for a fuck*ng bottle of perfume! Also Monsieur Lutens has a non-export line of parfum that he only allows to be sold at his salon in Paris, and of course...Sarrasins is part of the non-export line. Oh, to be wealthy and to have a pied a terre in Paris...
*Prince also just released a fragrance, I'm kind of scared to try it because I desperately want to love it. Somehow I'm not convinced that it will be as good as I hope it will be.
-
Creed? Please tell me it doesn't smell like the flop sweat of Christian Rockers...
-
It's squeezin's from Scott Stapp, harvested on the evening the Kid Rock video was made. Enjoy!
-
(First time reading through this thread) Do you have a minute to give us a run down on the basics of appreciating fragrance? I personally have become a Givenchy man, specifically π (pi). I find that using a consistent scent helps people remember me. http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/ (http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/)
-
Heavens, no! Creed is an esteemed perfume house that dates back to the late 1700s in England. They are truly masters of their craft. Nothing to do with the squeezin's you mention.
(First time reading through this thread) Do you have a minute to give us a run down on the basics of appreciating fragrance? I personally have become a Givenchy man, specifically π (pi). I find that using a consistent scent helps people remember me. http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/ (http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/)
Ahh, excellent choice. It is indeed wonderful to have a signature scent. My rule is to first and foremost to wear what you like. I read a lot of posts about people who buy expensive niche perfume and then spend all this time trying to force themselves to appreciate it. What the hell is the point of that? So they can brag that they're wearing the most expensive couture perfume? Bah. Likewise, there are people who disparage certain brands as inferior, when other folks really enjoy the scent.
As a nerd, I enjoy breaking things down and seeing how they tick. I think that perfume as a hobby is similar to being a connoisseur of wine or Scotch. You learn how it's made, you learn about the raw ingredients or varietals that are involved, and then you learn about all the different notes.
Take a trip to the department store. Don't necessarily listen to what the sales associates tell you, for the most part they just know what the company reps tell them. If they're good, you can tell them about a certain scent you enjoy and they can recommend others for you to try. Givenchy has made other variations on the Pi theme, such as Pi Fraiche. There are multiple fragrance families, for men the usual breakdowns are marine/aquatic/fresh, aromatic/woodsy, and spicy/oriental.
Some others that I think you might enjoy, all of them you should be able to find at a regular department store except the Creed:
M7 by Yves Saint Laurent, this was a perfume that was designed by the same nez (nose or master perfumer) who created Pi, his name is Alberto Morillas. This is a cross between aromatic/woodsy and oriental, and it's incredibly sexy. There is a famous ingredient called oud/oudh/aoud, also known as agarwood. It is hugely popular in Arabian perfumery. M7 has oud but it is tempered with other notes.
Green Irish Tweed by Creed, this is an iconic aquatic that spawned a million knockoffs, most notably Cool Water by Davidoff. I personally hate Cool Water...and GIT is easily twice the price...but it's fun to compare the two. Creed perfumes are made with natural ingredients as opposed to synthetics. Cool Water and many of the other aquatics contain the repulsive Calone 1951 synthetic compound, which is used to give a "marine" smell. It burns my nose and I hate it, but many people like it. Acqua di Gio also contains massive amounts of Calone. Yuck.
Bulgari Black (also spelled Bvlgari), this one is smoky and unique. It might be classified as an oriental? I'm not sure.
Vetiver by Gurelain. (aromatic/woodsy, vetiver is a tree-like shrub) I adore vetiver and this is a classic, yet still smells "modern" and fresh.
There are tons more, but give those a try. Sniff them from the bottle or on a tester strip, do not let an overzealous sales associate spray you with anything - only apply a perfume/cologne to your skin if you've narrowed down your choices to two (one per wrist). There are so many wonderful colognes out there, and I LOVE it when men wear judicious amounts of cologne. I still get a little weak in the knees when I smell certain colognes like Aspen, Polo, or Safari because various former crushes of mine wore them.
-
I like that new commercial for the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume. It makes me laugh and laugh (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WTtUCUZzii0).
-
Damn, that sucker is just begging to be satirized.
-
I like that new commercial for the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume. It makes me laugh and laugh (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WTtUCUZzii0).
OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.
-
OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.
It's a good idea in that she probably knocked down five hundred grand for the license.
-
OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.
Didn't you see this when it was leaked on Perez Hilton? Back then I just watched the last part over and over again: "I had to have it" with the crazy eyes. I actually thought of you, but figured you'd seen it back then. It's really, really bad and I'm a SJP fan.
-
Didn't you see this when it was leaked on Perez Hilton? Back then I just watched the last part over and over again: "I had to have it" with the crazy eyes. I actually thought of you, but figured you'd seen it back then. It's really, really bad and I'm a SJP fan.
Oh man, no I did not see it. I only check Perez sporadically. I just saw a photo of him on another site where he was parodying Britney Spears and had on very little clothing. Damn, I wish I could un-see that. For someone who loves to pick on others' appearances, a man who looks as busted as Mr. Perez shouldn't be throwing stones.
-
Yes. In a perfect world Perez and Michael Moore would be gay for each other, and have the ugliest gay babies in the world.
But more on topic: I know perfumes can go "bad" - how does one know if this has happened, is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep a perfume? Are perfume oils more long lasting than perfumes? etc? I have hella old perfumes and perfume oils. I have a really bad tendency to buy perfumes that it turns out I don't like, which means lots of full bottles of things I'll never wear again. I get pretty easily annoyed with scents.
-
Yes. In a perfect world Perez and Michael Moore would be gay for each other, and have the ugliest gay babies in the world.
But more on topic: I know perfumes can go "bad" - how does one know if this has happened, is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep a perfume? Are perfume oils more long lasting than perfumes? etc? I have hella old perfumes and perfume oils. I have a really bad tendency to buy perfumes that it turns out I don't like, which means lots of full bottles of things I'll never wear again. I get pretty easily annoyed with scents.
Perfumes turning bad is pretty dicey. Some will literally keep for decades, and I've also bought bottles on eBay that had turned (a really expensive L'Artisan, which made me madder than hell). I guess the only way to tell is to test it on your skin and see how it smells. Perfume oils can go rancid, I think that alcohol based perfume has a better shot at longevity. As with anything, they're best kept someplace out of the light and also in a cooler environment. A lot of my hardcore perfumista friends have actually bought wine storage refrigerators and use them to store their perfumes, which makes sense if you've got a $6,000 collection like they do.
I had a lot of perfume that I didn't like, and I also get bored with them pretty easy. Makeupalley (http://www.makeupalley.com/) has a swapping system that's pretty cool which is where I got rid of most of mine. I highly recommend it.
-
hardcore perfumista friends
Canned for this phrase.
-
OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.
After reading this I had to watch it, and it's definitely in ridiculous-self-parody territory. If I hadn't read about it here I would probably have assumed it was an SNL-style fake commercial.
-
After reading this I had to watch it, and it's definitely in ridiculous-self-parody territory. If I hadn't read about it here I would probably have assumed it was an SNL-style fake commercial.
You're right, it must be poking fun at herself. Crazy idea, imho.
The other day, I got a note left by the USPS saying that they had a registered mail package for me, but I wasn't around to sign for it, so I had to go pick it up at the post office. One of my friends from Milan sent me a ridiculous, gorgeous, insane care package with 9 hand-decanted samples of Serge Lutens (http://www.salons-shiseido.com/) parfum. If I tried to buy the equivalent (http://theperfumedcourt.com/search.aspx?manufacturerid=fb668f02-f3a6-4d45-9076-360b1dcbdd16) of these samples, I would have spent around $60.00 before shipping costs. As I had to part with most of my Lutens collection, I was moved to tears when I opened the package. Damn. Hell of awesome pressie, Cristina.
-
I just wanted to post here about the assholish VULTURES on eBay who are trying to sell bottles of Serge Lutens perfume at 150%, 175%, even as high as a 310% markup. FUCK YOU GUYS. Seriously. When I write them polite notes on eBay to explain that the bottle they're trying to fuck*ng gouge me for retails for €105, or $149.58 USD at current exchange rates, they get all pissy and send rude replies. Sorry for calling you out, asshole, but somebody had to do it. *sigh*
I hear rumours that M. Lutens might reverse his bull shit export/non-export policy and allow the coveted bell-shaped bottles to be sold outside the EU. I am extremely fortunate in that I have had a generous friend in the EU offer to forward a bottle to me. All I have to do is pay for the bottle on the Lutens site, and have it shipped to him, and then PayPal him money to cover shipping costs from the EU to the US. A damn fine deal.
Since I will have $1,600 of free cash money (https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/) in my bank account tomorrow (Alaska's Permanent Fund Dividend) I might just take him up on that offer and splurge on a bottle... but which one to buy???
-
Waitaminnit! Is that going to follow you around for life now? Or is that your pro-rated dividend based on the fraction of this year's residency?
-
Waitaminnit! Is that going to follow you around for life now? Or is that your pro-rated dividend based on the fraction of this year's residency?
No, the $1,654.00 I am receiving is my net dividend from LAST YEAR (2006). They run a year behind (the 2006 gross dividend was $1,710.00, they take some out for administrative costs and Medical/Public Assistance as per AS 43.23.075). Next year I probably won't be able to claim the PFD since I was in the state during 2007 for only about 6.5 months.
I think you have to a.) make your primary and permanent domicile in Alaska, AND b.) be physically present in Alaska for at least 9 months out of the year to get the PFD. I think...if it's only 6 months, then I might get it next year. Who knows.
Alaska Natives who are shareholders of ANCSA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Native_Claims_Settlement_Act) can generally live anywhere they damn please and still collect a check from their local and regional corporations, which are privately held corporations that were formed by natives, for natives to manage their land holdings. That is totally different from the PFD (which is run by the State of Alaska) and is only for ethnic Alaska Natives.
-
I just wanted to post here about the assholish VULTURES on eBay who are trying to sell bottles of Serge Lutens perfume at 150%, 175%, even as high as a 310% markup. FUCK YOU GUYS. Seriously. When I write them polite notes on eBay to explain that the bottle they're trying to fuck*ng gouge me for retails for €105, or $149.58 USD at current exchange rates, they get all pissy and send rude replies. Sorry for calling you out, asshole, but somebody had to do it. *sigh*
aren't goods usually valued at whatever someone will pay for them? I mean, someone else out there is willing to pay the marked-up price...
-
Just because unfettered forms of capitalism exist does not make them right or proper.
The Invisible Hand of Adam Smith is doing us all up the butt.
Some of us like it up the butt, some of us do not but some of us would like the choice to decline.
-
aren't goods usually valued at whatever someone will pay for them? I mean, someone else out there is willing to pay the marked-up price...
Absolutely correct. Theyre not gouging anyone. if you feel theyre priced too high then you wont buy them. If youre aware of a better deal somewhere else then go for it, if you aren't able to exploit the better deal then perhaps they are actually selling it at the real price. It is after all, an auction
-
Just because unfettered forms of capitalism exist does not make them right or proper.
The Invisible Hand of Adam Smith is doing us all up the butt.
Some of us like it up the butt, some of us do not but some of us would like the choice to decline.
What the hell are you talking about? Ebay offers a forum for those who value the object the most to get it. I really like Bentley cars, but I don't go around saying that Bentley is gouging me by charging a high price. They are charging what people are willing to pay.
-
yeah, I feel like there is a distinction between say High Priced Perfume and High Priced Gasoline. if all the oil companies jack prices up... you're pretty fucked. You basically have to pay what they ask for. Perfume, however, is not a necessary good.
-
yeah, I feel like there is a distinction between say High Priced Perfume and High Priced Gasoline. if all the oil companies jack prices up... you're pretty fucked. You basically have to pay what they ask for. Perfume, however, is not a necessary good.
I disagree inev, clearly the perfumistas are colluding here to keep the average alaskan girl from enlarging her perfume collection. The perfumista cartel is the real devil.
-
I mean, that's not relevant, though. Perfume is not something that people need to buy. If they raise gasoline prices, you are stuck because you Need Gasoline. if the perfume is too expensive... you just don't buy it. or else you do buy it, and they keep the price that high.
-
They are charging what people are willing to pay.
I completely agree that is how it works, arachnocapitalist.
By my moral compass, however, there should be limitations on that mechanism because it can easily be exploited, easily spin out of control even without exploitation and easily accumulate over a large scale into gross mutations on that theory that can bring down countries and societies.
"Charge what people are willing to pay" unfettered collapses into chaos and totalitarianism as fast as "everyone should share everything" unfettered collapses into chaos and totalitarianism.
Checks and balances to everything or nothing stands for long.
-
It is Fucked Up because these people on eBay are vultures who are exploiting a very real shortage. It is difficult to get Lutens non-export perfume unless you live in France or the EU. Their eBay shenanigans are like gas gouging after the September 11th attacks, except this is with a totally dispensable luxury cosmetic item and not with petrol. I paid about $160 for my bottle of Muscs Koublai Khan on eBay from a dude in France. Considering that shipping from France cost about $20, and that it would have cost me about $60 in total shipping costs if I had bought it directly from M. Lutens' salon in Paris, it was a damn good deal. I fuck*ng hate the grey market.
The only person who is authorized to sell Lutens' exclusive line is his salon in Paris. He won't allow anyone else to sell it, does not sell it wholesale, and does not ship outside the EU. These are people who are capitalizing on an exclusive product and trying to gouge unlucky folks outside the EU who don't have anyone who will act as their liason. The only places that are authorized to sell his "export" line are luxury retailers like Barneys and Aedes de Venustas. Bottles inevitably make it out of the official channels and get sold on the grey market. True, eBay is a place where anyone has the right to sell their personal goods, and (for example) Autodesk is having a hell of a time challenging someone in court who has been reselling Autodesk products online. Their argument is that they sell a license and he is therefore illegally selling copies of his software that he legally bought. M. Lutens has not and probably will never try to sue someone for reselling his perfume a la the Autodesk Hunt's Move, but I hope that he gets a whiff of the huge, untold profits that these eBay fugs are making...and that he could probably double his sales if he would sell to perfumistas outside the EU. There's also a Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido site in Japan, so perfumistas in Japan can buy his parfum, but I don't know anyone in Japan.
I hope that none of these eBay fucks will make a thin dime, and their €105 bottles go unsold until they finally relent and sell them at a fair price. Unfortunately, when M. Lutens came out with his latest, Sarrasins... I saw bottles of it going for $310 on eBay and it pains me that some poor sucker bought them, unaware of a better way.
Some things are best left to untraditional markets...but I feel that generally, the artist should profit from their art, which is why I have a huge problem with these fugs on eBay getting fat off M. Lutens' creations. Part of it is Lutens' fault for having such a tight stranglehold on his brand in order to create the "exclusivity" hype. If Lutens is a shrewd businessman, he will sell outside the EU and put the eBay vultures out of business.
-
It is Fucked Up because these people on eBay are vultures who are exploiting a very real shortage. It is difficult to get Lutens non-export perfume unless you live in France or the EU. ...
Part of it is Lutens' fault for having such a tight stranglehold on his brand in order to create the "exclusivity" hype. If Lutens is a shrewd businessman, he will sell outside the EU and put the eBay vultures out of business.
So you fell asleep when the professor explained the whole low supply + high demand = higher prices part? It sounds like the real bastard here is your Luten friend who is trying to create scarcity and exclusivity rather than open up his product to the general population. It also sounds like the good guys here are the middlemen who are selling it on ebay to people who would otherwise never have the option to own it. The higher price is the result of low supply created by Luten. if someone has some spare bottles of Luten laying around and can sell them to people who want them on ebay, I'd be thanking them for the service rather than calling them gougers. No one told them they had to sell stuff on ebay.
-
So you fell asleep when the professor explained the whole low supply + high demand = higher prices part?
Again, no. Sounds like she was completely awake when he said this.
But just become something is, doesn't mean that said something is morally or ethically proper.
-
aren't goods usually valued at whatever someone will pay for them? I mean, someone else out there is willing to pay the marked-up price...
That, sir, is the logic of ticket scalpers. They are low men.
-
That, sir, is the logic of ticket scalpers. They are low men.
Smick, you get a tiny can for being succinct and AWESOME. A-CAP, that is exactly what I was trying to say.
-
Again, no. Sounds like she was completely awake when he said this.
But just become something is, doesn't mean that said something is morally or ethically proper.
So effing true. CAN'D.
I disagree inev, clearly the perfumistas are colluding here to keep the average alaskan girl from enlarging her perfume collection. The perfumista cartel is the real devil.
Heh....A-CAP, you get a tiny can for this gem. Bravo. However, I disagree when you're saying that the scalpers on eBay are doing humankind a service, though, by scalping expensive goods.
So you fell asleep when the professor explained the whole low supply + high demand = higher prices part? It sounds like the real bastard here is your Luten friend who is trying to create scarcity and exclusivity rather than open up his product to the general population. It also sounds like the good guys here are the middlemen who are selling it on ebay to people who would otherwise never have the option to own it. The higher price is the result of low supply created by Luten. if someone has some spare bottles of Luten laying around and can sell them to people who want them on ebay, I'd be thanking them for the service rather than calling them gougers. No one told them they had to sell stuff on ebay.
As I mentioned earlier:
Some things are best left to untraditional markets...but I feel that generally, the artist should profit from their art, which is why I have a huge problem with these fugs on eBay getting fat off M. Lutens' creations . Part of it is Lutens' fault for having such a tight stranglehold on s brand in order to create the "exclusivity" hype. If Lutens is a shrewd businessman, he will sell outside the EU and put the eBay vultures out of business.
I hope that he opens the market...if not... then people are going to make money hawking his shit. End of story.
-
That, sir, is the logic of ticket scalpers. They are low men.
and
But just become something is, doesn't mean that said something is morally or ethically proper.
I just... I really don't understand how selling perfume which is in short supply for a lot of money is unethical. if there is something people want, and you have it, and it is a purely luxury item... why not charge the most you can? Again, if it were Medicine or Basic Foodstuffs or something, this would definitely be unethical. But, it's not. It's perfume.
-
That, sir, is the logic of ticket scalpers. They are low men.
They are indeed. Never seen one in a yellow coat though. Chronic halitosis and the shakes, but no yellow coats.
-
Just slightly off topic: re fragrance... my work place went scent free in September. It's sort of impossible. Everything has a scent. They don't even make a scent free laundry detergent for my HE washing machine, and damned if I'm gonna ruin my $1000 washing machine for someone else's problem. I know that's insensitive... but seriously. I'm not one of those people who uses much stuff in my grooming, I almost never wear perfume at work so that's no sacrifice... but now I'm supposed to go out and buy all new scent free products? It seems unreasonable. I've just been kind of hoping the lady with the issues doesn't sniff me. I feel really bad that she's sick, yet I also feel that this is one of those situations where one can't ask the world to change... Am I a jerk?
-
Just slightly off topic: re fragrance... my work place went scent free in September.
Surely, surely, surely they just mean no perfume/cologne/room freshener/rotting garbage in your cube. I mean, coffee is fragrant stuff, as is my shirt after a full day. Scentless is some sort of Platonic Ideal.
-
no, you're perfect and we all love you.
I accidentally bought a huge thing of Flowery Sugary Shit detergent, and I feel like it is a waste to buy another thing of detergent just because this one makes my clothes smell like Horrible Flowery Shit. I mean, I should be able to put up with this in order to save the 8(?) bucks I spent on this.
-
Just slightly off topic: re fragrance... my work place went sense free in September.
-
Just slightly off topic: re fragrance... my work place went scent free in September. It's sort of impossible. Everything has a scent. They don't even make a scent free laundry detergent for my HE washing machine, and damned if I'm gonna ruin my $1000 washing machine for someone else's problem. I know that's insensitive... but seriously. I'm not one of those people who uses much stuff in my grooming, I almost never wear perfume at work so that's no sacrifice... but now I'm supposed to go out and buy all new scent free products? It seems unreasonable. I've just been kind of hoping the lady with the issues doesn't sniff me. I feel really bad that she's sick, yet I also feel that this is one of those situations where one can't ask the world to change... Am I a jerk?
See, This is interesting. I feel the same way about the sudden explosion of 'companion animals' for neurotic people. People come into the post office with a dog. The dog is wearing some kind of little apron thing that says it's a working dog. The individual with the dog is not blind, or deaf, or has any kind of mobility or reaching problem. When I politely ask the person to leave the dog outside, I am told that the dog has to be allowed because the individual has a 'disability', that being that they are too insecure to leave the house or conduct daily business without the dog.
What crap. There are way more people in the world afraid of dogs for real reason than there are people who 'need' these dogs for fake reasons, and even more people in the world with allergies to dogs, possibly even severe allergies...so why should those people be compelled to be exposed to an element that is not a normal part of their experiences in the name of one person who really needs therapy and/or meds?
I also can't stand the whole 'no smells' thing. I'd love to dictate the terms of my environment everywhere I go, but I just can't. This whole tyranny of the minority thing is catching on a little too well.
-
What is the nature of this person's sickness? Is it mild allergies, or more of an "oh fuck i just got nose cancer" kind of thing?
Because that's what it wold take for me to give up on the Sex Panther.
I also can't stand the whole 'no smells' thing.
What we need more of is smells.
-
and
I just... I really don't understand how selling perfume which is in short supply for a lot of money is unethical. if there is something people want, and you have it, and it is a purely luxury item... why not charge the most you can? Again, if it were Medicine or Basic Foodstuffs or something, this would definitely be unethical. But, it's not. It's perfume.
We've been through this. Concert tickets are luxury nonessential items, but it's still illegal/unethical for people to scalp them. These people are douches who are trying to profit in a douchely manner. It's not illegal for them to do it, and there's a sucker born every minute. The guy who was selling Sarrasins (newest Lutens parfum) at $310 didn't sell a single bottle, dropped it to $275... didn't sell...the douche is still trying to sell them at $245 a bottle. We'll see if anyone is stupid enough to pay it. They're bottles from "his personal collection" and he can dispose of them as he sees fit...but the guy's still a fuck*ng douche scalper. Fuck him for trying to hold me over a barrel for my favorite nearly-impossible-to-get luxury nonessential item on earth. A-CAP is partially right, Monsieur Lutens is partially responsible for having his bullshit export/non-export policies to begin with. Then again, people also scalp Frédéric Malle parfum for insane prices on eBay, and you can buy any Malle perfume here in the United States are Barney's New York (http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/category.s?categoryId=278545).
What is the nature of this person's sickness? Is it mild allergies, or more of an "oh fuck i just got nose cancer" kind of thing?
Because that's what it wold take for me to give up on the Sex Panther.
What we need more of is smells.
Sex Panther. 60% of the time, it works every time. CAN'D.
Also, that's a bunch of bullshit, smells. I can't believe it. Asking people to buy hypoallergenic detergents and shit is just over the fuck*ng line. If she is that sensitive, then Bubble Girl should stay inside her protective fuck*ng bubble. Heinous. Some guy on another board was incredulous when I mentioned taking my cats to Alaska. He was all, "Is it LEGAL for you to take animals on a passenger plane?" He replied that he was violently allergic and claims he went into anaphylatic shock when he was traveling on a train where a woman brought a dog on board. Therefore, in his mind, it should be illegal. Dude, I am sorry that you are allergic to everything, but damn. Life goes on around you.
See, This is interesting. I feel the same way about the sudden explosion of 'companion animals' for neurotic people. People come into the post office with a dog. The dog is wearing some kind of little apron thing that says it's a working dog. The individual with the dog is not blind, or deaf, or has any kind of mobility or reaching problem. When I politely ask the person to leave the dog outside, I am told that the dog has to be allowed because the individual has a 'disability', that being that they are too insecure to leave the house or conduct daily business without the dog.
That is SO WEIRD! I didn't know that people could get those dogs! What the hell! I should be able to cart Milan and Lennybruce around with me as "companion cats"!!! ;) heh... just kidding...
-
First of all, in thinking about what I was going to say, I thought about my connection to you people; Achewood. See, it seems like some of you dig on the nice things and I dig on the drugs, so, in our creators name, who digs on nice things and drugs (maybe in the past more so) lets just agree to not yell at me and I won't yell at you. I was just kind of thinking you know. This thread, it is the same about a thread about drugs. Yeah, they are a waste of money and yeah they make us feel nice blah blah blah (i like nice things too, but more nice stereo equipment and instruments and computers and, well, you know). I guess what I am trying to say is that everything we do, basically to make ourselves happy, which, at least in this giant corporation that we call society, usually involves a purchase, or did at one point, is silly and basically illogical, if not in direct opposition to the easiest, healthiest life.
Anyways, to the point. I basically was just going to say that I think Luten is a shrewd businessman. I mean, maybe the stuff wouldn't sell as well without the exclusiveness part and from the way you described it, Ebay seems to be packed with the stuff, so you know, they are buying that from him. I think you can see what I am saying. I think you should probably replace shrewd with honest. I mean, if he opened his sales, maybe you (or others if not) would not want it, blah.
You even said that in the sentence before the shrewd one. Maybe I am just being semantic, but, basically I think it is all Lutens fault and, if an artist is too good to take your money, why throw it at them? That is the part that isn't semantics.
He won't allow anyone else to sell it, does not sell it wholesale, and does not ship outside the EU.
Some things are best left to untraditional markets...but I feel that generally, the artist should profit from their art, which is why I have a huge problem with these fugs on eBay getting fat off M. Lutens' creations. Part of it is Lutens' fault for having such a tight stranglehold on his brand in order to create the "exclusivity" hype. If Lutens is a shrewd businessman, he will sell outside the EU and put the eBay vultures out of business.
Again, I am sure he knows full well what he is doing.
Also, that Autodesk thing, is the guy using the customer key and then selling just a disk that is not usable? That is kind of what it sounded like, based only on what you said.
-
Scentless is some sort of Platonic Ideal.
I remember reading somewhere that products labelled 'unscented' actually have a scent added to negate the inherent smells of the ingredients.
Asking coworkers to change all their personal care products for your convenience is probably going too far. But I hope we can agree that if we can smell your perfume from the next cube or when walking past you on the subway, you should cut it out.
-
We're not allowed to have any kind of deodorizers in our bathrooms at work because of one women who has some kind of respiratory problem. (We can't have them in the men's room because that would be unfair, apparently.) So this woman can't leave the building without this fancy painter's-style mask. They even replaced some of the plants in the lobby because of her.
Everyday her husband picks her up from work, and he sits in the car smoking while he waits for her.
-
It's actually the head of the theatre (the artistic director) who has the problem, and I should state that she is lovely and kind and considerate of everyone else's needs on a really high level.
I can't remember her diagnosis, something long: "multi-scent sensitivity disorder" I think is what I was told. We are indeed "scent free:" so says the sign on our doors, so we have been told to be at all staff meetings. She actually goes up to people and sniffs them, then if what she sniffs bothers her she tells them they have to change it. Our general manager tells her she isn't allowed to do this, but it doesn't seem to stop her. And I hate to say it, but it seems to be something that bothers her during stressful conversations with people who she's talking to. It seems almost like a twisted power play. I want to be sympathetic, but the whole thing smacks of hypochondria brought on by a very high stress job.
As for the dog thing, I totally agree with you AD. The only situation I can see where a dog is necessary other than for deaf/blind assistance is those seizure sensing dogs.
-
Yo, LFM, here is some perfume for the Area lover that you are (Soft core porn for others: NSFW)
http://www.riechmichund.com/index_2.html
-
Is there an aftershave version called Aquavulva?
-
Man, I wish I would have put www.smellmeand.com as the url.
-
It's actually the head of the theatre (the artistic director) who has the problem, and I should state that she is lovely and kind and considerate of everyone else's needs on a really high level.
I can't remember her diagnosis, something long: "multi-scent sensitivity disorder" I think is what I was told. We are indeed "scent free:" so says the sign on our doors, so we have been told to be at all staff meetings. She actually goes up to people and sniffs them, then if what she sniffs bothers her she tells them they have to change it. Our general manager tells her she isn't allowed to do this, but it doesn't seem to stop her. And I hate to say it, but it seems to be something that bothers her during stressful conversations with people who she's talking to. It seems almost like a twisted power play. I want to be sympathetic, but the whole thing smacks of hypochondria brought on by a very high stress job.
Man, who the fuck appointed her to be the Scent Gestapo? That's the most passive-aggressive bullshit I've ever heard. UGH!!!! I'd go postal or quit if I had to put up with another mega-bitch such as that lady.
Keith, I heard about Vulva perfume on a perfumista site that I used to frequent. There are a TON of vulva-themed perfumes out there. My problem with that site is that it requires me to click on a button that says I am over 18 and I enjoy "juicy erotic". WTF?
Also, there are a TON of "naughty" perfumes out there, but I can't remember if this particular "Vulva" was the first, specially marketed vaginal scent. And yes, it does appear that their target demographic is men who are typing with one hand. You wouldn't scent a rose with rose perfume, if you get my drift.
Other "shocking" perfumes include Agent Provocateur, Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange, and Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. There are others that smell extremely animalic (they have a lot of civet in them), like Muscs Koublai Khan by Serge Lutens and Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.
Perfume and marketing are a strange sort.
-
I like that new commercial for the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume. It makes me laugh and laugh (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WTtUCUZzii0).
I heard this on NPR this evening, and had to give this thread a bump:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18238465 (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18238465). (Audio available after 7 PM tonight.)
Apparently, some dude wrote a book about perfume, and one of the stories he tells in the interview is about Sarah Jessica Parker making her first signature scent.
Even Pedro found it interesting, so...though you guys might.
-
Sarah Jessica Parker is hilarious... for all the wrong reasons.
Good Lord, what an unattractive lady. There is nothing wrong with being unattractive, of course, everyone should be happy but... man, I can't think of a homelier person whose success is more based on the fradulent claim that she is attractive than Sarah Jessica Parker.
Oh man.
-
Oh, come on LFM. You can't deny her teenage hotness in That 80's Movie With all the Teen Girls, whatever it was called.
*edit* Girls Just Want to Have Fun. Also, on re-evaluation, my statement may have been a little hasty. She wasn't exactly hawt, but she did have a certain youthful appeal. Which has disappeared now that she is no longer youthful. I think my memories of this movie may have been tainted by the fact that I last saw it when I was a teenager.
-
She had a nice body in her youth, sure... but her face was always WEIRD and as her form has become more and more frail-thin and boyish over the years, she lost even her nice body.
Now, I realize, Matthew Broderick probably wants to forget that she is a lady as much as possible but... still. C'mon, still.
She looks like ET with two fried eggs stapled to his chest at this point.
-
She looks like ET with two fried eggs stapled to his chest at this point.
This is why you people are my friends.
-
Not to play devil's advocate, but I'm really happy basically no one wears perfume where I work.
Also, perfume is forbidden at my wife's new job.
-
Today, the folks in another part of the office were freaking out due to a "strong smell" that would likely bother the women with the scent sensitivity. It turned out to be oatmeal, some agreed the scent of maple flavoured oat meal, being a food stuff, would probably not bother her, but her assistant was pretty sure it would. I went and got a cup of tea and never found out how that one panned out. I did want to walk in and say "look, it's been more than half a year. We are all aware of the issue and are being as sensitive as we can possibly be about this. Riding each other's asses now makes you the insensitive one now."
I am basically in the anti-smell camp. I never want to be alone in an elevator with someone I don't know and and smell her/his perfume/cologne. I am happy to smell something on someone's skin when my mouth is kissing it, or when I'm hugging them, but that's it. I'm talking intimate space here, or just slightly beyond in the "brushing-past-you-when-I-walk: space. Most of the stuff I smell on strangers or people I barely know just annoys me, and I'm willing to venture it's because it's too much of a good (or not so good) thing. If I don't want to see someone, I can look away, if I don't want to taste or touch someone- that's pretty easy to do, if I don't want to hear someone I can put on my iPod, but I have no choice in whether I have to smell someone or not, so I really long for common courtesy on that one, which is seriously lacking in many, many people. There are lots of etiquette skills we seem to learn when we're kids, but the" how much smell you should give off" lesson should be taught right up there with the whole "inside voice" lesson. I'm sure Linnea smells really nice because she's actually aware of the products she's using and how to use them properly. On the other hand I am pretty sure a guy yesterday who I had to smell from over 8 ft away was so unschooled. I'm sure he was wearing an expensive cologne because he was dressed in a well tailored suit and had the look of someone who really cared about status, but the amount of cologne he had on was the scent equivalent to standing 8 ft from me and shouting "HEY SUCK MY COCK!" at the top of his lungs.
-
shouting "HEY SUCK MY COCK!" at the top of his lungs.
That almost never works.
-
That almost never works.
Dance clubs in the Castro being the obvious exception.
-
Dance clubs in the Castro being the obvious exception.
That's the exception I was thinking of. Well, that and the Rose Festival, when the Navy is in town.
-
Dammit, people! Talk about perfume!
I would never last at a scent-free workplace. That is just too much infringement on my personal life for my liking. Maybe if they bought me all scent-free products, but I think that's just asking too much. But I do agree that nobody should be able to smell your perfume unless they're having passionate makeouts with you. Most people just wear too goddamned much perfume/cologne/disgusting Victoria's Secret body lotion. It is pretty sickening.
-
So, when I wear cologne (which is rarely), I either squirt one shot into the air and walk through it or one squirt on my wrist which I then rub on my other wrist and my carotid arteries, the "pulse points." I am pretty sure that this is tasteful, but everytime I smell myself throughout the day, I keep wondering if it's too much. And it's not like I'm wearing Sex Panther or something.
-
That's the exception I was thinking of. Well, that and the Rose Festival, when the Navy is in town.
Also at the mens locker/shower/steam room in YMCA's across the continent.
I'm sorry L. It is hard to talk about perfume. I'm wearing a new herbal deodorant with coriander in it... does that.... does that help?
-
Also at the mens locker/shower/steam room in YMCA's across the continent.
I'm sorry L. It is hard to talk about perfume. I'm wearing a new herbal deodorant with coriander in it... does that.... does that help?
It's hella easier to talk about random blowjobs from Navy men. Well, at least for me it is.
-
Over Christmas my SIL kept using this horrible coconut lotion from Bath & Bodyworks that made everybody in the room give her dirty looks. After 3 or 4 applications she started apologizing that it bothered us but it never occurred to her to just not use it. Who needs that much lotion, anyway?
Of course she also belches constantly. She refused to muffle it because she says then it goes up into her eyes and feels gross.
-
this one girl I know uses something really strong in her hair that I love the smell of. She is partially of african descent, so it is maybe some kind of crazy thing like they have in that section of drug stores?
It is like the best smell ever, anyway. The other day in a crowded party I got a whiff of it and was like "oh man, she must be here."
I am not sure if it is that it is that strong of a smell, or I just like it enough that I am attuned to smell it?
On the other hand, basically her whole apartment smells like it sometimes, and maybe that gets old for her roommates.
-
Of course she also belches constantly. She refused to muffle it because she says then it goes up into her eyes and feels gross.
What the hell is that? Her eyes?
-
What the hell is that? Her eyes?
I know. She claims that if she belches with her mouth closed then breathes it out her nose she feels it in her eyes and it grosses her out. So the rest of us get to listen to her belch 4 to 10 times an hour.
-
Screw what she's swallowing -- does she have some kind of Lawrence-Welk-style bubble machine in her stomach?
-
There is a connection between your eyes and nose - tears drain through a duct near the pulpy thingy in the inner corners of your eyes, and it lets out in your nasal cavity. Here's a nice graphic illustration of the connection:
(http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2277/2129/400/NasolacrimalDuct.jpg)
(http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/02/fun-with-nasolacrimal-duct.html)
This guy snorts milk, then squirts it out of his eyes. That probably get the ladies lining up, eh?
Click on the picture for a trip to the blog where I found the image.
-
Maybe just a link for that sort of stuff next time?
-
I knew a guy in high school who could do that. He could also regurgitate on command, such was his stomach control, no toothbrush required.
Oddly, he had all the nerd-girl tail at his command while I pined away in the corner, writing my stories and dieting unsuccessfully. He ended up marrying one of the cheerleaders.
-
the pulpy thingy in the inner corners of your eyes
Fun fact: that "pulpy thingy" is a vestigial nictitating membrane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane). A third eyelid. Evolution really gave us the short end of the stick!
On the other hand, think how creepy it would be if we had functioning third eyelids. Then again, I suppose if we did, we'd be used to them and it wouldn't be creepy.
-
Maybe just a link for that sort of stuff next time?
This is why I can only get other biologists to sit with me at lunchtime.
-
Fun fact: that "pulpy thingy" is a vestigial nictitating membrane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictitating_membrane). A third eyelid. Evolution really gave us the short end of the stick!
On the other hand, think how creepy it would be if we had functioning third eyelids. Then again, I suppose if we did, we'd be used to them and it wouldn't be creepy.
Screw that - I want skin that changes color according to my surroundings. That would be great here at work.
-
wait. but.
to have a functioning third eyelid... wouldn't we need a functioning second one??
-
Well, there's one above your eye, one below - the nicitating membrane would be the third.
-
What the hell is she swallowing?
She chain drinks diet Coke. She also chews with her mouth open for the first few chews of each bite, even if it was really tiny bite.
-
Maybe just a link for that sort of stuff next time?
Yeah, for real.
-
Only a couple more posts and I won't have to scroll by it anymore.
-
Does this help? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY5in8JY0ao)
-
I have a scent I wear, but only on special occasions.
This backfired on me the other night. I went out, and was wearing "Calico Jack" which is a scent from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, that I mentioned earlier in this thread. My drunk mutual friend hugged me when I arrived and then loudly announced "ARE YOU WEARING COLOGNE FOR SUZETTE?!"
A fellow tries to do the right things, clean up nice and all...
-
Does this help? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY5in8JY0ao)
I feel like less of a person for having watched that. Funny, though.
As for the extra eyelid: only REALLY cool if it closes horizontally rather than vertically.
-
Does this help? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY5in8JY0ao)
Johnny Cash grabbed his ankles, and he hollered when I poked him...