The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2007, 09:08:12 am

Title: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2007, 09:08:12 am
The premise of this thread is that we make cultural references that we would, ourselves, enjoy but fear that very few other people would get... possibly because the topic is obscure or the reference is very specific or a very fine detail or whatever.

But it would make you smile to hear someone else say it and... possibly as a secondary benefit... the reference would be humourously non-sequitur to someone not in on the joke.

Also, it would be fun to see if we actually DO get each other's weird references.

For example, a friend's online journal has one of those communal artpad things on it and... I keep writing the word "Risotto?" on it and... to you or I, this is a clutch and essential Achewood reference but... her assumption is that it is simply an interesting surrealism.

Another example would be yelling "Population: Tire!" in a room where you are the only one who knows what a Strong Bad is. Or so on or so forth.

This could be very fun, I believe, but if y'all don't wanna go with it, it is okay too. I am open to the idea that this may not work out, this is a one-in-the-morning idea and not all of those work out.

I will start off:

"OH NO! SOBEK IS TOTALLY THE HUNGER BEAST!"
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2007, 10:56:24 am
I fear mine is not as obscure as LFM but I've had it in my head for a few days.

"Not a real green dress: That's cruel."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: jough on March 01, 2007, 12:53:06 pm
"I love my dead gay son!"
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 01, 2007, 02:16:22 pm
"I love my dead gay son!"

Not obscure enough, Heather.

"This is my new book, 'F.Y.M.'  Fuck Y'all Motherfuckers."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: side_show on March 01, 2007, 02:25:43 pm
I fear mine is not as obscure as LFM but I've had it in my head for a few days.

"Not a real green dress: That's cruel."

Certainly not an obscure reference when it comes to the Canadian market.  But then  this is airing on the CBC right now (http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273).  Possibly the most embarrassingly Canadian program ever aired.

In regard to a really obscure reference, I was once in the perfect setting to say: "So that means you'll be a tradish' nish' with a dish, with a baby who's Salish?"  Everyone laughed uproariously.



Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2007, 03:02:15 pm
BNL are slightly more obscure down here, more's the pity.

"HOPAWATE!" (you have to be holding a first in front of your face with your index finger pointing towards the ceiling as you shout this)
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 01, 2007, 04:00:45 pm
This thread can 'eat a hodgy'.

Now who horked my clothes!?!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: wombat on March 01, 2007, 04:12:08 pm
HATE this thread.

Also side_show please clarify:  If there was really "Barenaked Ladies... on ice," now I will never be content till I see someone play guitar and skate at the same time.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2007, 04:24:48 pm
Oh come on, that was way more than 100 pounds
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: side_show on March 01, 2007, 04:41:11 pm
HATE this thread.

Also side_show please clarify:  If there was really "Barenaked Ladies... on ice," now I will never be content till I see someone play guitar and skate at the same time.

I don't know if the BNL got on the ice or not.  It was so lame I didn't watch it.  They appeared to be on a platform with skaters whizzing around them.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: robot_god on March 01, 2007, 07:01:23 pm
You wanna play 21?  Well I got 22.  You wanna play aces and eights?  Well I got two of those, too.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2007, 07:36:16 pm
So, I hear Dad's dead. Hey, is that egg nog?


. . . Dave's out. Who's gonna take his place?
Is the answer Jesus?


These apples are delicious.
&
Welcome to the Bryant Street Theatre. Have a Fruit Roll-Up. Aren't you gonna eat it? Oh for Christ's sake!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2007, 08:39:36 pm
"I love my dead gay son!"

Just remember, everyone:

Teenage Suicide -- Don't Do It!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2007, 08:59:45 pm
(they look in the convertable, there is a man and a monkey)

"DUCKY!"

"Get the fuck in!"
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2007, 09:02:15 pm
You wanna know the rest? Hey -- buy the rights!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2007, 09:04:15 pm
You wanna know the rest? Hey -- buy the rights!

V, that's not good at all.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2007, 09:12:02 pm
Then I ram my ovapositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest. But I'm not an alien!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2007, 10:47:05 pm
I was only 16 but I guess that's no excuse
My sister was 32, lovely and loose
She don't wear no underwear
She says it only gets in her hair
And it's got a funny way of stoppin' the juice


Too mainstream?
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2007, 10:57:39 pm
I was only 16 but I guess that's no excuse
My sister was 32, lovely and loose
She don't wear no underwear
She says it only gets in her hair
And it's got a funny way of stoppin' the juice


Too mainstream?

No. Definitely not.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 01, 2007, 11:59:43 pm
Lithium is no longer available on credit.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: linnea on March 02, 2007, 02:49:51 am
I'm going where there's no depression.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: coldfrog on March 02, 2007, 03:17:57 am
Your perfect match is: Meestur Hote Doge!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 02, 2007, 03:26:30 am
"Looks like he got a heaping helping of Russian butt-loaf!"
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 02, 2007, 04:03:21 am
Parking meters! And you're walking around!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Lister on March 02, 2007, 05:00:00 am
Set phasers to "sudden interest in botany."

He tried to kill me with a forklift!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 02, 2007, 05:21:52 am
"I was born before the Age of Chivalry."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: coldfrog on March 02, 2007, 06:20:19 am
Now we'll soar like eagles!  Like eagles...  on pogo sticks!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 02, 2007, 03:21:28 pm
So when the phone rang
in the secret briefcase
a strong masculine hand
with a Dudley Do-Right wristwatch
and flexi-bracelet
Grabbed it
And answered in a deep
calmly assured masculine voice.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2007, 03:56:11 pm
One fun thing to do in threads like this one is to require that the new poster identify at least one obscure reference before posting something new, but I'm not going to stipulate that.

I have the strangest little inkling that V's is, if not actually from Cool Hand Luke, in keeping with the spirit of that film.



Fleshy-headed mutant. Are you friendly?

The wine does go well with the chicken.





Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 02, 2007, 04:28:15 pm
One fun thing to do in threads like this one is to require that the new poster identify at least one obscure reference before posting something new, but I'm not going to stipulate that.

I don't think I've gotten one non-BNL reference so far.

And hang a calfskin on they recreant limbs
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2007, 09:02:05 pm
I don't think I've gotten one non-BNL reference so far.

What, you don't like the Beastie Boys?
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 02, 2007, 09:16:23 pm
What, you don't like the Beastie Boys?

I'm really only familiar with the singles and there are parts of those I don't know the words to. I fail to keep even 1 borough in stitches.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2007, 09:19:58 pm
I'm really only familiar with the singles and there are parts of those I don't know the words to. I fail to keep even 1 borough in stitches.

Fair enough - I'm the same way about Hemstad.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 02, 2007, 09:25:21 pm
Fair enough - I'm the same way about Hemstad.

This is even funnier because Hemstad songs don't have lyrics. Well sometimes they go, like, "doo doo doo" and stuff.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2007, 09:29:51 pm
This is even funnier because Hemstad songs don't have lyrics. Well sometimes they go, like, "doo doo doo" and stuff.

Exaaaaaaaaaactly!

Not really.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 02, 2007, 10:39:59 pm
If you don't know this one it's tragic because you will probably never get the opportunity.

"She always called me robert, but the people in this city call me Bob."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Alternate on March 03, 2007, 12:46:33 am
"Every jumbled pile of person has
a thinking part that wonders
what the part that isn't thinking
isn't thinking of." 
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2007, 01:57:45 am
"Every jumbled pile of person has
a thinking part that wonders
what the part that isn't thinking
isn't thinking of." 

Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, Or is it worse because it's always waiting Where your eyes don't go?



and his baby brother's playing seek and hide. I did it backwards again, that's 11 out of 10, all he wanted was best 3 out of 5
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 03, 2007, 02:21:27 am
and his baby brother's playing seek and hide. I did it backwards again, that's 11 out of 10, all he wanted was best 3 out of 5

Baby's playing dead in cellar
Gave her water; she got paler
Grass stains, back burns, she's a screamer
She's just dusted; leave her
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: linnea on March 03, 2007, 03:00:11 am
Baby's playing dead in cellar
Gave her water; she got paler
Grass stains, back burns, she's a screamer
She's just dusted; leave her

That's one of the first albums I ever bought! Belly's Star. that totally brings back memories of smoking on hot summer nights in my backyard with my friends when I was 15.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 03, 2007, 03:36:13 am
That's one of the first albums I ever bought! Belly's Star. that totally brings back memories of smoking on hot summer nights in my backyard with my friends when I was 15.

Hi. Pleased to meet you. I'm 1000 years old.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 03, 2007, 03:40:54 am
Hi. Pleased to meet you. I'm 1000 years old.
In your darkest hour you're talking like this, for you are one thousand years old?

Anyway, Star also brings up memories of my youth, since when I was 13 and just getting into pop music, my preferred radio station would play "Feed the Tree" religiously during the afternoon right after school. Several years later, I found a copy of the album at a used music store near my grandparents' house, and (while, like most albums I buy for the singles, I like the rest of the album much better) I've enjoyed the nostalgia ever since.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 03, 2007, 04:57:04 am
No, don't pull on that. You never know what it might be attached to.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 03, 2007, 05:03:38 am
It looks just like a Telefunken U-47.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 03, 2007, 05:55:44 am
Semen is such a persistant state.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 03, 2007, 06:02:43 am
Aristides, Vagrand, Baden-Baden, Day Star, Lord Murphy, Fonso, Hindoo, Apollo, Leonatus, Buchannan, Joe Cotton, Ben Ali, Montrose, Macbeth II, Spokane, Riley... Lucky Debonair, Kauai King, Proud Clarion, Forward Pass, Majestic Prince, Dust Commander, Canonero II... Pleasant Colony, Gato Del Sol, Sunny's Halo, Swale, Spend a Buck, Ferdinand, Alysheba, Wining Colors, Sunday Silence, Unbridled, Strike the Gold, Lil E. Tee, Sea Hero, Go For Gin, Thrunder Gulch, Grindstone, Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Charismatic...
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 03, 2007, 06:34:19 am
You thanked Hitler!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 04, 2007, 12:48:37 am
What up Mariboo-boo? Don't I recognize you? National Geographic cover, 92!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 04, 2007, 07:23:36 am
Society is going to have to deal with us not as nice little fairies who have hairdressing salons, but as people capable of violence.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: wombat on March 04, 2007, 12:50:30 pm
HATE this thread HATE HATE HATE
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 04, 2007, 07:29:27 pm
Why?
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: theinevitable on March 04, 2007, 07:55:22 pm
it's ok wombie! I don't understand any of it, either!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Alternate on March 04, 2007, 09:14:59 pm
She probably hates it because making purposely obscure cultural references is a form of communicating badly and then acting smug when you're misunderstood. (http://xkcd.com/c169.html)  It's understandable.  But this is a place where we can get this safely out of our systems, without hurting anyone.  So: 

"You're a rorschach test on fire, you're a dayglo pterodactyl."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: linnea on March 04, 2007, 09:53:09 pm
it's ok wombie wombles or womby! I don't understand any of it, either!

fixed that for you
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 04, 2007, 10:22:27 pm
Heh. I understand pretty much only my own posts. ;)
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 04, 2007, 11:02:36 pm
"You're a rorschach test on fire, you're a dayglo pterodactyl."

You're a heart-shaped box of strings and wire --
You're one bad-ass fuckin' fractal!

(I had a math-major in college who would lead sing-alongs of that, with particular emphasis on that line. I'm not really sure why.)
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Alternate on March 04, 2007, 11:43:51 pm
Maybe because it's the only way to sing it?

EDIT:  Okay, I will try to explain.  Imagine that there was a song about your field, and it had a catchy, rocking out, rhyming chorus, and that chorus ended with the line "You're one bad-ass fuck*ng neurotransmitter!"  And now imagine how you would sing that song. 
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 05, 2007, 12:12:09 am
Your just the baby school! I'm the big league chew!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 05, 2007, 12:45:58 am
Your just the baby school! I'm the big league chew!

Oh. How stupid of me. That was the sound of chainsaw nunchuks.




You'll pay for this, and I don't mean with money. Unless it's a whole lot of money.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 01:17:41 am
Wombles, I am sorry for my part in this, but I did try to introduce the concept of trying to ID things - or maybe that was a different thread.

I entered (in this particular order):
Brain Candy
Slap Shot
BNL live (x2)
Prince
Strange Brew
Beastie Boys
Some unidentified homosexual in reference to the Harvey Milk Twinkie defense riots.

And it turns out I did suggest IDing shit before adding to the thread. I will point out that, as this is your sandbox, you could always lock the everloving fuck out of the thread.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: wombat on March 05, 2007, 01:43:04 am
 
And it turns out I did suggest IDing shit before adding to the thread. I will point out that, as this is your sandbox, you could always lock the everloving fuck out of the thread.

You are right, it would be a better thread if it were more like the one about guessing the lie: you have to guess the previous obscure reference before adding a new one.  Earn the right to make me feel uncool and out of touch, dammit.

Still, since other people are having fun I will refrain from abusing my awesome powers.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2007, 01:43:29 am
Maybe because it's the only way to sing it?

EDIT:  Okay, I will try to explain.  Imagine that there was a song about your field, and it had a catchy, rocking out, rhyming chorus, and that chorus ended with the line "You're one bad-ass fuck*ng neurotransmitter!"  And now imagine how you would sing that song. 

No, no, I understand that the song is totally badass. I'm not questioning that! Even I can respect this badassery! It always confused me more because of the sudden emphasis when the rest of the song is also awesome to yell, especially the part about Benoit Mandelbrot being in heaven when he's dead, which he isn't.

Anyway, to get this back on subject:

Of course I can -- I'm an elf! We're not just fictional devices!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 01:48:58 am
I really like this jacket but the sleeves are much too long.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 05, 2007, 02:56:36 am
(even less obscure than my previous two)

That is one damn fine coat you're wearing.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: linnea on March 05, 2007, 03:17:59 am
catch a match, a bang bang, a flashing fist of crackerjack, a smack, a lick, a char char, you're all burned out.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 03:33:51 am
catch a match, a bang bang, a flashing fist of crackerjack, a smack, a lick, a char char, you're all burned out.

Now that's an odd band right there.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: linnea on March 05, 2007, 03:38:53 am
Now that's an odd band right there.

I haven't listened to them in a long time, but at last count I had 38 Legendary Pink Dots and Dots-related albums.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 03:48:04 am
Still, since other people are having fun I will refrain from abusing my awesome powers.

Oh abuse your power . . . it's sooooo hot!

If I was a mod (and I made some minor attempts to become one back in the day) I'd abuse the everliving fuck out of my powers.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 05, 2007, 03:58:27 am
For wombat's benefit, here's a list of mine:

Oh come on, that was way more than 100 pounds

PCU

Then I ram my ovapositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest. But I'm not an alien!

MST3K: The Movie

And hang a calfskin on thy recreant limbs

King John. Act 2 or 3, I think

and his baby brother's playing seek and hide. I did it backwards again, that's 11 out of 10, all he wanted was best 3 out of 5

Colouring Lesson. A band nobody has heard of.


Your just the baby school! I'm the big league chew!
Oh. How stupid of me. That was the sound of chainsaw nunchuks.




You'll pay for this, and I don't mean with money. Unless it's a whole lot of money.

The first two are from the comic Dr. McNinja. The last one is from the Tick comics.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 04:06:32 am
Colouring Lesson. A band nobody has heard of.

Well, I don't know what the fuck goes on with nested quotes, but what's the deal with Colouring Lesson? I have come to trust your judgement (or judgment) on music. Are they indeed indie pop, as the almight allmusic tells me?
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 05, 2007, 04:14:01 am
Well, I don't know what the fuck goes on with nested quotes, but what's the deal with Colouring Lesson? I have come to trust your judgement (or judgment) on music. Are they indeed indie pop, as the almight allmusic tells me?

They are rock-reggae. They were active in the late 90's and broke up to work on separate projects* and reformed about 2 years ago. The "Similar artists" on AMG are only similar because they were all on the same label (Fowl, started by Jimi HaHa of Jimmy's Chicken Shack). The front man writes most of the songs with Trevor handling the more reggae-heavy tracks. Dave is all about the lyrics although he's known to care more about clever phrasing and interesting imagery than songs that tell coherent stories.

Samples (http://www.colouringlesson.com/media.html). Just don't start with My Spot, which is their worst song. Why it's a sample I couldn't tell you.


*Dave Hill, the frontman, left to start the band Fidel which was more rock and had a DJ and an Emmy-winning drummer. Really. As of this writing Fidel is showing as my last-played-song because Last.fm is updating very slowly lately
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 05, 2007, 04:20:32 am
I will do this as well, then.

:: "OH NO! SOBEK IS TOTALLY THE HUNGER BEAST!"

Basically the big reveal in this week's issue of DC Comics 52. I'm... I'm a huge dork. Sobek is a mutated crocodile man that played some of Captain Marvel's supporting cast for fools and then totally ate one of them at his moment of weakness.

:: "Ducky!" "Get the fuck in!"

The end of the Mr. Show episode "It's Perfectly Understandishable". After the new Dhali Lama, who used to completely be a stoner, defeated the rich fat kid's camp in the Summer Camp Olympics by slitting a fat kid's throat and then winning a rap competition...

Well, the Lama and his best friend are picked up by Jon Cryer and a monkey named Dr. Bologna in a convertable. It's pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

:: "I was born before the Age of Chivalry."

Methos, the four-thousand-year-old badass in "Highlander" completely explaining why he is prepared to chop off an immortal lady's head if she is an evil-type immortal lady.

:: "You thanked Hitler!"

There was a KITH skit about a man who got an award and accidentally thanked Hitler.

...these are some of the many awesome things I enjoy.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: theinevitable on March 05, 2007, 04:24:39 am
oh my god, why have I not seen this KITH skit?

I feel like that is one of my greatest fears. that, and that for some reason I'll get mad at someone and use a Racial Slur.
I am not sure why these are my fears.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 04:28:00 am
:: "Ducky!" "Get the fuck in!"

The end of the Mr. Show episode "It's Perfectly Understandishable". After the new Dhali Lama, who used to completely be a stoner, defeated the rich fat kid's camp in the Summer Camp Olympics by slitting a fat kid's throat and then winning a rap competition...

Well, the Lama and his best friend are picked up by Jon Cryer and a monkey named Dr. Bologna in a convertable. It's pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

True dat. Fucken comedy gold.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 04:30:14 am
No, no, I understand that the song is totally badass. I'm not questioning that! Even I can respect this badassery! It always confused me more because of the sudden emphasis when the rest of the song is also awesome to yell, especially the part about Benoit Mandelbrot being in heaven when he's dead, which he isn't.

Anyway, to get this back on subject:

Of course I can -- I'm an elf! We're not just fictional devices!

Do you notice that there is a personal message? If so, I will decide you choose not to respond. (This goes for the rest of you, as V is not the only one to recieve personal notes.)
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Alternate on March 05, 2007, 05:17:36 am
:: "Ducky!" "Get the fuck in!"

The end of the Mr. Show episode "It's Perfectly Understandishable". After the new Dhali Lama, who used to completely be a stoner, defeated the rich fat kid's camp in the Summer Camp Olympics by slitting a fat kid's throat and then winning a rap competition...

Well, the Lama and his best friend are picked up by Jon Cryer and a monkey named Dr. Bologna in a convertable. It's pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Oh man, I didn't recognize that line, but I love that monks vs. fat kids skit.  Especially: "All life is sacred... from the lowly beetle-bug... to the nuclear reactor's core." 
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 05, 2007, 05:26:04 am
The last portion of that episode... from the moment he pulls down the map to the end... was pretty much the funniest thing I'd ever seen. When my roommate and I in college were watching it, we both fell out of our beds laughing. I hyperventilated. It was a pretty crazy situation.

Until I saw the work of Tim & Eric on Adult Swim (who work with the Mr. Show guys, anyway) I had never laughed that hard at anything on a television again. "Awesome Show, Great Job" has made me fall off of sitting devices... and thank God for it.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2007, 06:13:02 am
Do you notice that there is a personal message? If so, I will decide you choose not to respond. (This goes for the rest of you, as V is not the only one to recieve personal notes.)

I did not notice, because (in one of the few things I really dislike about Simple Machines boards) I find the private message indicator way more hidden than I would have liked. Le sigh. Checking now...
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 05, 2007, 06:23:58 am
Until I saw the work of Tim & Eric on Adult Swim
Yeah, these guys were in town tonight and did a show. We were going to go to it, but the lovely and talented Ms. Nabu had schoolwork. I suspect it was good.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 06, 2007, 08:24:33 pm
Fleshy-headed mutant. Are you friendly?

No way eh!

The one I posted way back when is from the movie "Fear of a Black Hat," which you should watch if you were at all into hip-hop in the late 80s/early 90s.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: theinevitable on March 06, 2007, 08:30:38 pm
I really really want to watch that film.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 06, 2007, 11:13:20 pm
No way eh!

The one I posted way back when is from the movie "Fear of a Black Hat," which you should watch if you were at all into hip-hop in the late 80s/early 90s.

I saw that movie! That is so lost in my mind, I never would have believed it was real if you hadn't brought it up. I really liked that guy Rusty Cundieff - I saw him first on TV Nation. That makes me think of "CB4", which makes me think of Charlie Murphy, which makes me think of "Roll Bounce".


"Man, pimps got advice, too. Look, stop discriminating on the black man. In the immortal words of my cousin, Rudy Rambo III, from the East Side, there's three types of people in this world - people who make things happen, people who watch things happen, and people who get pimp slapped for not having Rudy Rambo's money on time."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 09, 2007, 08:41:52 pm
In the spirit of this being a true Fuck You Friday:

Fuck, fuck, motherfuck, noinge, noinge, noinge.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 09, 2007, 08:45:41 pm
Quote from: V-Adore
In the spirit of this being a true Fuck You Friday:

Fuck, fuck, motherfuck, noinge, noinge, noinge.

Least obscure reference in this thread? Or am I just in a weird bubble?
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 09, 2007, 09:22:29 pm
Least obscure reference in this thread? Or am I just in a weird bubble?

If I'm correct in understanding that "noinge" is one of the Jay Noises then I'd say this is pretty mainstream.

Of course in another thread I decided to respond to a TMBG quote by quoting another song that was actually the first one in reverse, so I'm not exactly representative of the population at large.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 09, 2007, 09:40:11 pm
I'm not exactly representative of the population at large.

Jesus, the understatement klaxon is going off!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 10, 2007, 02:14:49 am
Least obscure reference in this thread? Or am I just in a weird bubble?

I just wanted something to revive the thread with, and I wanted something with "fuck" in it, so I went with the first thing that came to mind. To make up street cred, possibly the most obscure reference in the thread:

It's the... Bourgeois *****!!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 10, 2007, 02:24:57 am
City of Industry!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2007, 05:10:25 am
Louie is Down!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2007, 05:10:46 am
A secret is revealed.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 11, 2007, 05:56:35 am
Quote from: AugustWest
Louie is Down!

Are we talking "I wanna dip my BALLS in it" Louie?

Or a different Louie?

(I just saw the Reno 911 movie and I have been thinking fondly on The State.)
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2007, 06:02:14 am
Are we talking "I wanna dip my BALLS in it" Louie?

Or a different Louie?

(I just saw the Reno 911 movie and I have been thinking fondly on The State.)

Different.  Think Little Nephew Louie.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: iron_felix on March 16, 2007, 04:04:18 pm
Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but whatever.
That's not a cultural reference, by the way, just an observation.

Maybe in a crazy town like this, you pay for the happy Winston Churchill quote with the nasty parrot shit.

I'm Jesus and you're not.

They're only pretending to be rocks!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2007, 04:12:33 pm
remember when Fonzie won the dance competition? That shit was sick.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 16, 2007, 05:44:20 pm
My stepfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 16, 2007, 07:28:45 pm
Quote from: CortJstr
My stepfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool.

Man, that is what we call a CLUTCH Built to Spill reference.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2007, 11:37:02 pm
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy,
John Denver in an airplane makes me cry.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2007, 12:32:25 am
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing noise they make as they pass by".

I've heard this attributed to a few people, but I think it's Douglas Adams
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Teatime on March 17, 2007, 12:37:18 am
Several reliable sources support the Douglas Adams attribution.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 17, 2007, 01:32:33 am
"Askin' askin' askin! Always multitaskin'!"

"YOUTH is TRUTH! I wish OLD rhymed with LIES!"
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2007, 01:41:02 am
I get $10 for cars
I get $20 for limos
What the hell is this?
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 17, 2007, 02:47:57 am
Damn Salmon is a great one. I never realised how many essays and articles he had written, and it's fun to read some of his books right after since he seems to just throw everything he is interested in that he can.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: theinevitable on March 17, 2007, 05:17:40 am
just as the rhythm's designed to bounce
what counts is that the rhyme's designed to fill your mind

probably not obscure, but that line... filled my mind? it won't get out.

edit: part of what I like is that it is real hard to decide where to put the line break. So I just kind of put it between the two ideas, rather than where one of the rhymes is.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 17, 2007, 05:24:44 am
 remember when officer kirk was going to arrest fonzie and the whole town dressed in leather jackets and jeans? That shit was sick.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: V-Adore on March 17, 2007, 05:50:49 am
What did I do to deserve this? What was my crime?
Was it because I sampled Die Toten Hosen that one time?!
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2007, 05:04:26 pm
She got a thirty-eight special, but I believe it's most too light
She got a thirty-eight special, but I believe it's most too light
I got a 32-20, got to make the camps alright.

alternatively or in addition, as you will:

I got dead shrimps here, and someone giraffein' in my pond
I got dead shrimps here, someone giraffein' in my pond
Catchin' my goggle-eye perches, and they barbequin' the bone.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 18, 2007, 06:15:21 am
remember when Fonzie gave Al that stack of money to rebuild the restaurant because chachi burned it down? That shit was sick.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2007, 06:19:31 am
"And me? i died two hundred years early. That's a lot of unhappy women."
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2007, 03:01:51 pm
Build a better man-trap
and the rats will beat a path to your door.
Title: Re: Make a purposely obscure cultural reference!
Post by: Doc on March 20, 2007, 10:55:16 am
Frankly, Mr Perkins, if he wasn't dead I'd have him expelled.