The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: robot_god on March 11, 2007, 11:37:04 am

Title: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: robot_god on March 11, 2007, 11:37:04 am
Fuck it, I ain't touching the clock.

(http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/jevansturner/clock_legs.jpg)
Joke/image credit to someone else
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Doc on March 11, 2007, 12:13:41 pm
I live in the only state in my country that doesn't do daylight savings. People worry that the extra light will fade the curtains and the cows will get confused as to when come in.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 11, 2007, 06:09:01 pm
It's always dark here so who gives a shit. We just randomly change the clock 20 minutes or 3 hours back or forward every few weeks.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: iron_felix on March 11, 2007, 08:26:14 pm
Joke/image credit to someone else

I'm confused.  Is the joke about "time running out" or something like that, or did somebody use the clock to squash a tarantula?

We don't celebrate daylight savings time in Arizona, either.  We only started doing Martin Luther King Day a few years back - I guess we haven't quite moved on to March holidays yet.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 11, 2007, 08:39:55 pm
We don't celebrate daylight savings time in Arizona, either.

A can for the prospect of celebrating DST.
I hate it, to be honest, fuck*ng farmers. It does nothign to help with my S.A.D., and isn't any use since we don't have any farmers left anymore... That said, do we what, gain an hour this time? I can never remember, but I like the extra hour either in bed or to get things done. Our's isn't for another fortnight yet though, I thought I'd missed something vaguely important. What with my clocks changing themselves and all, it's too easy for me to just not notice it happening.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: theinevitable on March 11, 2007, 08:54:32 pm
yeah, i celebrated the day by being real confused, not getting home until 4:50 PM, etc.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Lister on March 11, 2007, 09:07:38 pm
I was still awake when the change happened.  I was closing stuff down for the night and reading late-night email and suddenly it went from "just after 2" to "holy crap it's almost 4" and it took me several minutes to figure out what happened to that hour.

These three weeks are supposed to save us some hugely insane amount of money on energy, but I don't see how.  I'm just glad I can leave the office while it's still light out.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: linnea on March 11, 2007, 09:33:24 pm
yeah... slink, our federal government voted to move it up by four weeks, which is why ours happens before yours does. Apparently it was calculated to save money and energy.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: CortJstr on March 11, 2007, 09:40:31 pm
IIRC farmers hate DST. They go by the animals and the sun which don't care what time it is.

It saves energy because when you walk in the door after coming home from work you can leave the lights off for an hour as opposed to switching them on the instant you walk in the door. We don't use it year-round because then it stays dark too long in the morning and kids have to wait for the school bus with flashlights.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Terry on March 11, 2007, 11:14:30 pm
We don't use it year-round because then it stays dark too long in the morning and kids have to wait for the school bus with flashlights.

For reasons beyond my explanation, when I was kid I fervently, desperately wished that I'd have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus, or have lessons at school when it was dark. Is this universal? Please tell me it is.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 11, 2007, 11:50:28 pm
This is because natural light is terrible.

You can't control it, it controls you.

If I had the money and lived with people who were as sane about light as I am, I would live in a house with no windows. Of course, I've always been prone to sun-induced migranes.

The one time I worked on a set in Orange County, I had to wear shaded goggles over prescription shades around noontime. It was a pretty bad scene.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 11, 2007, 11:57:19 pm
For reasons beyond my explanation, when I was kid I fervently, desperately wished that I'd have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus, or have lessons at school when it was dark. Is this universal? Please tell me it is.

Perhaps when I was a kid, and felt all anti-the-sun. Now I just am sick of going to work in the dark, coming home in the dark and well, just generally not getting any natural light for a good 3 or 4 months. It's not like we live in the Arctic Circle fuckdamnit, it's not supposed to be like that for us!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 11, 2007, 11:59:08 pm
It's not like we live in the Arctic Circle fuckdamnit, it's not supposed to be like that for us!

Some of us, anyway. Quit marginalising me, goddamn it.

see how I did that?
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: linnea on March 12, 2007, 12:13:48 am
Some of us, anyway. Quit marginalising me, goddamn it.

see how I did that?

Living with reduced daylight is awful, I cannot imagine living in Deadhoss or Barrow where the sun disappears for months at a time. I'm far enough south that we get a little daylight even in the darkest months. It isn't daylight like people in the Lower 48 think of daylight, the sky turns a little grey instead of black, but in Alaska we have to take what we can get.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 12, 2007, 12:19:03 am
HATE.

It is so crazy stupid to change the clocks. I am so tired that I am delirious. Not only did I lose an hour of sleep last night but I was already several hours behind due to tossing and turning about the job situation all week.  And to make matters worse I went to bed later than usual because a friend called to hear about said job situation, and there aren't that many people in the world who will listen to you whine about such for an hour so you don't hang up on them.

And then I had to get up and be at work at what my body insisted was 7.30 in the morning.

Bad week in my life for the time to change. HATE HATE HATE the universe for not ADEQUATELY REVOLVING AROUND MY CONVENIENCE.

Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2007, 12:50:09 am
Living with reduced daylight is awful, I cannot imagine living in Deadhoss or Barrow where the sun disappears for months at a time. I'm far enough south that we get a little daylight even in the darkest months. It isn't daylight like people in the Lower 48 think of daylight, the sky turns a little grey instead of black, but in Alaska we have to take what we can get.

When I was a kid in Alaska, I would regularly meet kids from Barrow at camp and such, and they were universally crazy as a shithouse rat. I mean, so crazy that even at an art camp populated by weird kids/teenagers, they crossed the line from "enjoyably eccentric" to "... holy shit." I will defend to the death the livability of most of Alaska, but Barrow makes you go mad.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 01:36:30 am
Barrow's sort of just down the block from here. Wombles, I am sending you pure unadulterated love and extra hugs to get you through this difficult time.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 12, 2007, 01:45:00 am
Aw thanks. Maybe I'll just think of that and skip trying the NyQuil and 7UP to get to sleep then....
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 12, 2007, 02:14:43 am
I hate losing the hour, but I like being tricked into thinking it's lighter later. I love it in the fall when we get an extra hour in the day. So nice! Re: daylight--I MUST have it. And in ridiculous amounts. I should be living in a glass house on the equator, really. I am utterly solar-powered, and the longer I have to go without sunlight, the more time I spend lying on the couch, imagining myself drowning.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 02:45:09 am
I hate losing the hour,

Remember, you only lose the hour if you die before we fall back.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 12, 2007, 03:02:28 am
True, Nabu. So true.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2007, 03:10:49 am
I just spleep late on this occasion every year.  I mean, I usually sleep late on weekends anyhow, but on Spring Forward day I sleep a little later than usual.  HOORAY!

I'm pretty neutral on the whole issue.  I'm just glad the sun is coming back and I can spend time outside.  Spent the whole afternoon working in the yard and both my body and my psyche feel better than they have in weeks.  Woot.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: linnea on March 12, 2007, 03:29:15 am
I wish that I lived someplace warm right about now. Or at least someplace with a sauna.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: theinevitable on March 12, 2007, 04:10:40 am
It is supposed to be in the low 80's by mid-week here. Blegh.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: robot_god on March 12, 2007, 06:19:30 am
I'm confused.  Is the joke about "time running out" or something like that, or did somebody use the clock to squash a tarantula?

Hmm, good question, actually.

I figured since an enormous arthropod seems to have crawled behind the clock and died, it's better to just leave it on the wall than to change the time and discover what is underneath.  It's funny because you can picture yourself making the same choice in the scenario, and it is comically summed up with profanity and improper grammar.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 12, 2007, 09:32:42 am
You guys so nearly got me to change my clock in a panic even though we don't switch until the last Sunday of the month here. I think that's a sign that I'm really not fit to cope with the time jumping about all over the place.

Especially as my clock changes itself automagically.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 12, 2007, 01:40:31 pm
It was calculated to save energy back in World War I and again in World II to save coal for times of war. The thing is that no one has ever saved a damn lump of coal and it has never been proven to reach any of its intended benefits. The only people who win out here are golfers... And I am damn hell a golfer so I'm not complaining.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 12, 2007, 02:20:15 pm
The candy manufacturers lobbied hard for the change to have daylight time end later in the year. They think that they will sell more candy at Halloween if there is more daylight for kids to go trick or treating.

This doesn't make sense to me because what is the point of trick or treating in scary costumes in the daytime? I think we are meddling with tradition in an ominous way, here.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 12, 2007, 02:48:46 pm
I am so pissed off. 

To celebrate daylight's savings time someone vandalized my SO and I's cars with a steel garbage can.  They tried to smash in my rear window, resulting in many scratches right down to bare steel, and then smashed in the reer window of the SO's truck cab.  Thanks a lot asshole.

Also after almost three weeks of waking up naturally to the rising sun, I now get up when it's dark again with the aid of an alarm clock.  I hate this time change, and hate it even more now that it's been bumped so that the suns not even up.  Sucks.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: jaydub on March 12, 2007, 07:40:37 pm
We should just stay on the "Savings Time" schedule, so we get our extra hour of snooze and then never change back.  Or all go to GMT or something.  Pretend we work for NASA, but without diapers.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 09:05:23 pm
I am so pissed off. 

To celebrate daylight's savings time someone vandalized my SO and I's cars with a steel garbage can.  They tried to smash in my rear window, resulting in many scratches right down to bare steel, and then smashed in the reer window of the SO's truck cab.  Thanks a lot asshole.

Fuck that guy. That really sucks, s_s. I never think of smaller Alaskan communities as having those sorts of problems, like we do in PDX or even in Anchorage. However, I am glad to hear that your SO lives there - your reference in another thread to being far away from your family made me think you two were seperated 11.5 months out of the year. Yick.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 12, 2007, 09:20:26 pm
Fuck that guy. That really sucks, s_s. I never think of smaller Alaskan communities as having those sorts of problems, like we do in PDX or even in Anchorage. However, I am glad to hear that your SO lives there - your reference in another thread to being far away from your family made me think you two were seperated 11.5 months out of the year. Yick.



I think you got confused, that is S.S. not Linnea.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 09:28:44 pm
See, this is what happens when I try to post from work. Capital-fuck!

I'm sorry there are such cocks as that where you live, s_s.

I got confused from the Canada.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: jaydub on March 12, 2007, 09:54:17 pm
I blame their avatars for the confusion.  Kitty-pic from Northern Person.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 10:08:28 pm
I blame their avatars for the confusion.  Kitty-pic from Northern Person.


Sometimes I get them confused with me.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: jaydub on March 12, 2007, 10:10:02 pm
Yeah, but only recently.  You're established in my mind as the Northern Person with Dennis-Leary-avatar-messing-me-up-with-Showbiz-now.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 12, 2007, 10:17:59 pm
See I thought you confused my intentional estrangement from my family with significant distance from my family - it's an emotional void, not a void of land, water and rocks you see.  Confusing me with Linnea is really a compliment anyway.  Though I don't know about all the money for perfume.  I usually feel guilty if I spend too much money on soap or fancy toothpaste and such things, so there is a vital difference there.  The difference is she treats herself more nicely than I do myself.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 11:25:25 pm
Yeah, but only recently.  You're established in my mind as the Northern Person with Dennis-Leary-avatar-messing-me-up-with-Showbiz-now.

Dennis Leary? That was the Great One!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2007, 11:43:17 pm
Dennis Leary? That was the Great One!

Wow.  Gleason must have lost a bunch of weight for that picture!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 11:49:02 pm
"One of these days, Mario!"
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: jaydub on March 12, 2007, 11:53:16 pm
From the look of terror on his face, I'm assuming he was about to get boarded.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 12, 2007, 11:54:33 pm
Yeah, but only recently.  You're established in my mind as the Northern Person with Dennis-Leary-avatar-messing-me-up-with-Showbiz-now.

And this is why I'm not aloud to change my avatar. I did once, and everyone shouted at me!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 11:59:18 pm
From the look of terror on his face, I'm assuming he was about to get boarded.

That was a photograph right after he found out about Janet's gambling problem. I kid, it's actually from the 2006 Winter Olympics.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2007, 01:16:08 am
Quote from: slink
And this is why I'm not aloud to change my avatar. I did once, and everyone shouted at me!

What if you tried doing it silently?
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2007, 01:35:32 am
What if you tried doing it silently?

Zing!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 13, 2007, 01:55:46 am
What if you tried doing it silently?

Bleah. You wouldn't believe how fast I'm getting more and more ill today. I woke up and couldn't swallow, and now I just feel like poop. So bleah.
Now I'm going to soak my bed in olbas oil and pray I can get some sleep.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 02:05:15 am
No picking on people's spelling and no changing of avatars!  WAAAAH.

Sorry, it's been a rough day.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: linnea on March 13, 2007, 02:15:09 am
Fuck that guy. That really sucks, s_s. I never think of smaller Alaskan communities as having those sorts of problems, like we do in PDX or even in Anchorage. However, I am glad to hear that your SO lives there - your reference in another thread to being far away from your family made me think you two were seperated 11.5 months out of the year. Yick.

See I thought you confused my intentional estrangement from my family with significant distance from my family - it's an emotional void, not a void of land, water and rocks you see.  Confusing me with Linnea is really a compliment anyway.  Though I don't know about all the money for perfume.  I usually feel guilty if I spend too much money on soap or fancy toothpaste and such things, so there is a vital difference there.  The difference is she treats herself more nicely than I do myself.

Dammit! mel, you are rad. I demand that you get some vital princess time in PRONTO.

omba, I wish I could come down there and beat the hell out of everyone who is Making You Sad.

and Nabu, I ain't got a S.O. It is the rad single life for me.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2007, 02:19:02 am
Had to jump on it as I, myself, was razzed earlier for typoing on "area".

It's like, y'know, such as in the Old West.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2007, 02:27:48 am
Dammit! mel, you are rad. I demand that you get some vital princess time in PRONTO.

omba, I wish I could come down there and beat the hell out of everyone who is Making You Sad.

and Nabu, I ain't got a S.O. It is the rad single life for me.

Well, now I kind of do feel bad even more. Is it ok if I change my avatar to this? No one will mistake me for other people, I don't think.

I'm sorry about you being so far from your family, linnea. I'm sorry about you having a bad day, Wombles. I'm sorry about the vehicle vandalism, s_s.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: AugustWest on March 13, 2007, 03:26:04 am
Bleah. You wouldn't believe how fast I'm getting more and more ill today. I woke up and couldn't swallow, and now I just feel like poop. So bleah.
Now I'm going to soak my bed in olbas oil and pray I can get some sleep.

Hope you feel better soon, Ace.

Also, WTF is olbas oil?
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 10:44:56 am
Is it ok if I change my avatar to this?

NOOOOO.

What is that even? NOOOOO.


omba, I wish I could come down there and beat the hell out of everyone who is Making You Sad.
 

I am not so much Sad as ON EDGE. There are actually good possibilities that I am waiting to hear about, but they all may come to nothing and the waiting is torture. And I was actually content with the idea of being unemployed and working in the garden for a while before all kinds of monkey wrenches were thrown into that plan.

But I am pleased to imagine you coming down here and inserting hell of medical devices into everyone who is making me CRAZY.  Hurry up and make your decisions people or a tough Alaskan woman is going to CATHETERIZE you.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 13, 2007, 11:33:22 am
Hope you feel better soon, Ace.

Also, WTF is olbas oil?

Thankyou kindly, good sir.

And it's a mixture of essential oils that is a horrible but very effective inhalant decongestant. Cajuput, clove, eucalyptus oils, that kind of thing.

And you wouldn't believe how much it hurts me to misspell anything. It's like dropping a knife on my foot, which I'm also fairly likely to do at the moment.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2007, 01:29:54 pm
On the subject of avatars, wombat -  this clip  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTkOgHO4pA) made me think of you.  If you ever change your avatar, change it to this clip, okay?

On the subject of daylight savings time, the damn time changed has confused my cats by throwing off their feeding schedule.  This morning at about 5 AM the cat decided to ask for breakfast by screaming at the top of his little lungs for 30 minutes. 
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 13, 2007, 01:49:57 pm
this clip  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTkOgHO4pA) made me think of you.

*cough*I sent that immediately to my friend with the comment - omg omg omg omg.
It makes perfect sense for a sloth to yawn, but I've never seen one do so. Hell, I've never seen a sloth look tired!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2007, 01:57:56 pm





<---- This is Al Green. We saw him on our honeymoon. Now that we've lost James Brown and Barry White, he's the perfect combination of the good qualities of each of those gentlemen . . . . and not just because of the interesting coincidence in their surnames.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 02:03:50 pm
On the subject of avatars, wombat -  this clip  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTkOgHO4pA) made me think of you.  If you ever change your avatar, change it to this clip, okay?

On the subject of daylight savings time, the damn time changed has confused my cats by throwing off their feeding schedule.  This morning at about 5 AM the cat decided to ask for breakfast by screaming at the top of this little lungs for 30 minutes. 

I don't think I could use that clip. How could anyone ever concentrate on anything else on the board with that playing over and over? It would not be fair.

As for cats - I once saw a print of a drawing of a couple lying in bed with cats walking restlessly all over the bed and the room with the title "No Daylight Saving Time for Cats."  I have been kicking myself for years now that I did not buy it.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 02:04:17 pm

<---- This is Al Green. We saw him on our honeymoon. Now that we've lost James Brown and Barry White, he's the perfect combination of the good qualities of each of those gentlemen . . . . and not just because of the interesting coincidence in their surnames.

What is on the wall next to him?  I can't see it on this screen.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2007, 02:06:36 pm
I'm not sure - I've never seen the picture any larger than it is right now. Probably newspaper clippings or somesuch. I should probably just cut that part off. Actually, I probably shouldn't even use it, being it's someone else. I'll have to cogitate on this.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 13, 2007, 02:16:52 pm
Thanks to Smells I've not gotten any work done for the past half hour, and have found another contender for Wombat's next avatar - Pua (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/390677579/) the (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/390677460/in/photostream/) Tamandua (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/412781563/).
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 03:04:06 pm
Thanks to Smells I've not gotten any work done for the past half hour, and have found another contender for Wombat's next avatar - Pua (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/390677579/) the (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/390677460/in/photostream/) Tamandua (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/412781563/).

OMFG. Well it is a good thing I didn't have any other plans for the day...


I worked with a tamadua for a while.  Here is a picture of it with my shoe.

http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/shoeater.jpg (http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/shoeater.jpg)



Edit: Oh no - she has a blog too.  See you much later.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 03:14:56 pm
Oh god, tamandua in a sweater in a mop bucket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/402369968/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/402369968/)

If I didn't have that strict rule about people not changing avatars I would be so tempted.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2007, 04:26:07 pm
That is straight-up madness.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 13, 2007, 06:14:18 pm
OMFG. Well it is a good thing I didn't have any other plans for the day...

Rather. I think I managed to lose another half hour again, after posting that. If I weren't so strict about not wanting to take on unsuitable pets (that is ones that I don't think it should be encouraged for people to start keeping) I would so nab one of them instantly.

And erm... I'm sure they'd hate DST too. Yea, see what I did there?
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 06:34:09 pm
Well done!

You don't want a tamandua. They have the nastiest poop I ever worked with. I suspect it had something to do with the diet we were feeding but I would be very reluctant to risk it. Really unbearable.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 13, 2007, 06:59:37 pm
That statement makes me think you've got a broad enough baseline for comparision to make it a fairly definitive statement.

Colour me impressed for hilarity.

I read this place for perfect little gems of knowledge like that.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: theinevitable on March 13, 2007, 07:30:42 pm
um, that sloth was terrifying. Utterly.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 07:36:18 pm
What sloth???

Yes, I do have a very broad basis for comparison.  I recommend you check in with me for the poopometer rating before making any animal purchases.

Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: theinevitable on March 13, 2007, 07:40:38 pm
yeah, um, the sloth in that video. the baby sloth.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 13, 2007, 07:46:12 pm
Damn. Certainly I can do without, well... poop of any kind (note the anti-baby comments)! Even house training a puppy, regardless how damn cute it may be ends up being months of torture for me, and that only ever involved pee. I just despise it when the cloth goes all warm... Ack!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: CortJstr on March 13, 2007, 08:07:44 pm
What sloth???

Yes, I do have a very broad basis for comparison.  I recommend you check in with me for the poopometer rating before making any animal purchases.

You and R. Stevens should have a Poop Battle to determine who the real Poopmaster is.

Ready the Poop-o-drome!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 08:17:06 pm
yeah, um, the sloth in that video. the baby sloth.

Oh! We have moved on to anteaters. Keep up!
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2007, 08:33:52 pm
Someone ought to sketch out how we got from Daylight Savings to anteaters and send it to The Internet Hall of Fame. I am genuinely proud of this one.

Especially since it didn't in any way go through The Kevin Bacon of Internet Topics, pornography.

If we can get from Daylights Savings to anteaters, seamlessly and without passing through ladies making love to items that one would usually drink soda out of, we have collectively won the 'net.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2007, 09:08:20 pm
Oh! We have moved on to anteaters. Keep up!

No.  We're still on "animals that look like aliens but are somehow still kinda cute" catagory.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 13, 2007, 09:11:02 pm
Especially since it didn't in any way go through The Kevin Bacon of Internet Topics, pornography.

I did in my head.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2007, 10:08:43 pm
Yeah, see we have other threads about pu$$ye, not Kevin Bacon - but actual bacon, and Lesbian Bukkake, so really there are a lot of other threads to spend one's porno/bacon energy in, leaving this one free to ebb and flow naturally from time change/car vandalism/mistaken identities/cats/avatars/sloths/ant eaters.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 13, 2007, 10:13:49 pm
I think saying this thread has ebbed at any point carries connotations that do not suit its awesomeness.

though I think I posted a few pages back so maybe that counts
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 13, 2007, 10:31:59 pm
See, I think of ebb and flow as something water does, and in a positive, organic sort of context related to movement, so that's what I meant.   Also, Ruta, you sort strike me as being like Roast Beef in that post.  Don't be sad.  It's just the hour of sleep you've lost that's doing you in.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 13, 2007, 10:45:15 pm
Yeah, I caught your meaning; over-interrogation of phrasing is just the natural result of posting on forums while writing a literary-criticism essay. (The other natural result is a rubbish essay. Oh well.)

Any melancholy perceived in my posts is likely to be affected; I am irritatingly chipper almost all the time. Which I suppose is good as the demon DST doesn't make his unholy way to these shores until the 25th, so I wouldn't even have a scapegoat.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 14, 2007, 04:17:53 am
So what you're saying is that you can't feel empathy for us who have suffered DST.  What you are telling me is that you have psychotic tendencies.

I am kidding.

I feel the need to say that because I decided you were delicate earlier on, you see.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 14, 2007, 10:35:38 am
I find your mollycoddling tone deeply insulting.

I'm pretty sure that I'm joking but I have only just got up and you never can tell.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 14, 2007, 01:06:00 pm
You please me Ruta.  This is the first time the term "mollycoddling" has ever been directed at me, and I think I like it.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 14, 2007, 10:00:30 pm
Will you two get a room?
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: theinevitable on March 14, 2007, 10:08:46 pm
I found out recently that my little brother once said that to my parents.

And by little, I mean he's 15 and taller than me. And by once, I mean... last week.

why would he feel comfortable saying that.
I think maybe he doesn't really get that it means more than "go be cutesy somewhere else, mom and dad."
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Golfhaus on March 15, 2007, 04:41:20 am
<---- This is Al Green. We saw him on our honeymoon. Now that we've lost James Brown and Barry White, he's the perfect combination of the good qualities of each of those gentlemen . . . . and not just because of the interesting coincidence in their surnames.

Wow. I've spent the last undetermined period of time thinking it was Big Boi from OutKast. How the hell???
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 15, 2007, 04:49:48 am
I always mix up Al Lewis and Al Green.

Not by looks, of course, as Al Green and Grandpa Munster share little physical resemblance.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2007, 02:05:14 pm
Wow. I've spent the last undetermined period of time thinking it was Big Boi from OutKast. How the hell???

If you mean you thought the guy in the picture was Big Boi, yeah, I can see that. If you thought Big Boi was the perfect combo between JB and Barry, well, I can kind of see that too.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: AugustWest on March 15, 2007, 02:18:53 pm
Not by looks, of course, as Al Green and Grandpa Munster share little physical resemblance.

Truer words were never spoken.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: idiomsavant on March 15, 2007, 03:38:36 pm
I'm not sure - I've never seen the picture any larger than it is right now. Probably newspaper clippings or somesuch. I should probably just cut that part off. Actually, I probably shouldn't even use it, being it's someone else. I'll have to cogitate on this.
Here (http://photos.lacoccinelle.net/94/53/19453.jpg)'s a slightly larger version, in which you can see he's standing next to the words "JACK ABBIT." One might reasonably assume that at some point those words read "JACK RABBIT," although who knows.

I felt the need to research this because I thought that was Ray Charles.  Because, you know, black man with dark glasses.  And I'm a fan of Al Green, too.  I'll just be over here, wallowing in my unintentional ignorance.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Nabubrush on March 15, 2007, 04:22:18 pm
The man is an absolute showman - I've never seen anyone give so much to an audience. SRV put out a lot of energy, but he was more giving it to his guitar than to the crowd, really.
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 25, 2007, 10:57:16 am
God damn it, DST just ruined my girlfriend's day.

I am ready to join the good fight now.

(Or I would be if I hadn't had an hour's sleep stolen.)
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: slink on March 25, 2007, 11:26:17 am
(Or I would be if I hadn't had an hour's sleep stolen.)

It fuck*ng snuck up on me. I was warned of it. I knew to expect it. And then I forgot about it again.
Come 1am, and what the fuck? It isn't anymore...

Now it's an hour too early for lunch but I should really go ahead anyway...
Title: Re: Daylight's Saving of Time
Post by: side_show on March 25, 2007, 09:00:26 pm
Yeah, see we have other threads about pu$$ye, not Kevin Bacon - but actual bacon, and Lesbian Bukkake, so really there are a lot of other threads to spend one's porno/bacon energy in, leaving this one free to ebb and flow naturally from time change/car vandalism/mistaken identities/cats/avatars/sloths/ant eaters.


pu$$y?  A new filter?