The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: dejavroom on July 29, 2009, 01:52:48 pm

Title: Earworms
Post by: dejavroom on July 29, 2009, 01:52:48 pm
Is this even a worthy topic? I don't know, but I have the first bars of Verdi's Dies Irae on repeat and it is chewing at the shreds of concentration my hangovered self was trying to muster in order to be productive today. It's very disruptive. Puts one in the mind for riding hosss and spearing orcs, not proofreading catalogues of truck parts. Shouldn't have listened to it on my way to work. FUCKER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2OAS9UTCA).
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: dejavroom on July 29, 2009, 02:32:12 pm
Jesus no - NO!

I thought I wouldn't know your earworms - I thought I would be safe. What's worse than an earworm? Earworms fighting for dominance.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on July 29, 2009, 02:45:32 pm
oh! hey there, delilah. what's up with you?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2009, 03:03:07 pm
If I hear the a snippet of Another One Bites the Dust I am screwed for days.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jaydub on July 29, 2009, 04:42:51 pm
I fell asleep to the riff from Pigs(3 different ones) last night.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: wombat on July 29, 2009, 05:25:45 pm
This is a truly evil idea for a thread.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: dejavroom on July 29, 2009, 06:07:07 pm
It is =(

It's a booby trap of a thread. You open it and "oh god no aaaa" ensues.

(http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onionmagazine_archive_171a.jpg)
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on July 29, 2009, 06:36:21 pm
How about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm-17pu6SQ
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on July 29, 2009, 06:41:53 pm
or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbv-gxBgzQ
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on July 29, 2009, 07:43:26 pm
Ash: seconded on keyboard cat song.

But the very worst, the song that pops into my head whenever I walk someplace, and I will never know why:
"amber" by 311.
Just the bassline. Over and over.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2009, 07:52:57 pm
If I hear the a snippet of Another One Bites the Dust I am screwed for days.

Dude, you can't turn on the fuck*ng radio without hearing this song. 
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2009, 07:54:28 pm
I fell asleep to the riff from Pigs(3 different ones) last night.

You could do worse.  That song rocks.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2009, 07:56:08 pm
This thread ain't so bad.  Requiem is fantastic.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2009, 08:16:11 pm
How about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm-17pu6SQ

I loved that song when I was in the 5th grade.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on July 29, 2009, 08:55:21 pm
What is weid about the 311 thing is that the last time I had heard it before it became a permanent earworm was in 8th or 9th grade. 
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on July 29, 2009, 09:29:43 pm
What is weid about the 311 thing is that the last time I had heard it before it became a permanent earworm was in 8th or 9th grade. 
oh christ get off MY lawn
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jaydub on July 29, 2009, 10:17:43 pm
You could do worse.  That song rocks.
Indeed.  I wasn't complaining.  Just noting my most recent earworm.  It was kind of educational.  I learned who Mary Whitehouse (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/763998.stm) was.  The "house-proud town penis" had nothing to do with the US Gov't.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: miles on July 29, 2009, 10:50:05 pm
(http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onionmagazine_archive_171a.jpg)

Oh thank Jesus I'm not alone.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 29, 2009, 11:21:18 pm
Oh thank Jesus I'm not alone.

Morphine makes the Hootie known!
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2009, 12:16:58 am
Oh thank Jesus I'm not alone.

Woo ooo!

Also: I pulled up to a house, about 7 or 8 and I called to the cabbie, "yo homes, smell you later!"
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on July 30, 2009, 03:12:11 am
I loved that song when I was in the 5th grade.

How about this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MSoHcxEk9s&feature=related)

or this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNZgjQyNzpA)

or this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8)

this one? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU)

that one? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgbGaYTkkPU)

these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-gu_vMRc) guys? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20f-TPKjzc)

this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsezr0qiFIc) guy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdGPD443nE)

this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk)

this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKdrpKzKWM)

or even this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZhM75aGMg)

Imagine!  Music on AM radio.  It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 30, 2009, 03:34:44 am
I have had Louie, Louie and Wolly Bolly in my head for weeks.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: miles on July 30, 2009, 03:55:42 am
Creedence is more of an eargasm than an earworm.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on July 30, 2009, 06:19:22 am
"single ladies" by beyonce stuck in my head for about 3 weeks last year. as in, if i wasn't actively listening to something - anything - the chorus and bridge echoed constantly.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2009, 06:38:11 pm
August, I must admit I have a fondness for all of those songs.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on July 30, 2009, 08:09:50 pm
August, I must admit I have a fondness for all of those songs.

Great minds think alike, eh?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 31, 2009, 04:42:00 am
Great minds think alike, eh?

Indeed and thanks for the links.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on July 31, 2009, 04:32:57 pm
Turns out this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8) is the one that actually stuck in my head.

Most depressing song EVAR.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on July 31, 2009, 04:39:28 pm
I guess I never really paid too close attention to the lyrics before.  No love, no family, no God.  Dang, he really is alone. 
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: dejavroom on July 31, 2009, 05:12:00 pm
Today... it's the Godfather theme.

Because I just finally got around to watching the films, this is my reward.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Ruta Bagas on July 31, 2009, 10:30:21 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPQu98oMPIo

That is my current obsession.

It is both an earworm and an in-joke among some of my friends, which makes it almost inescapable.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Lister on July 31, 2009, 11:08:21 pm
While Another One Bites the Dust is a strong contender, I find Killer Queen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMz-wi50ACU) to be the more formidable earworm.

The bass line from Chameleon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjkA5ZAWQo) is my own personal earworm.  This does not mean it is not awesome.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 01, 2009, 05:30:59 am
What is weid about the 311 thing is that the last time I had heard it before it became a permanent earworm was in 8th or 9th grade. 

saddest thing about that is, 311 are like the sublimes' intellecually challenged, redneck cousins.  that dude has the most endearingly shitty flow on earth.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 01, 2009, 05:35:51 am
saddest thing about that is, 311 are like the sublimes' intellecually challenged, redneck cousins.  that dude has the most endearingly shitty flow on earth.

and by "the sublimes", i meant sumblime's, or however the grammatically correct way is......
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 01, 2009, 06:22:23 am
This thread can only make me think of the mind-control eels in fuck*ng Wrath of Khan.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 04, 2009, 10:26:06 pm
This thread can only make me think of the mind-control eels in fuck*ng Wrath of Khan.

how about NOW? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97RjuC9YeXg)
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: DavidFailkips on August 12, 2009, 02:49:37 pm
Anyone in this thread who will not immediately start screaming and attempting to tear their own skin off when I say the magic words "Let's get freaky now, let's get fuck*ng freaky now." has been fortunate enough to not have suffered from exposure to teenagers (or exposing themself/selves to teenagers) in the past three months.

Whatever the angriest emoticon this forum's software has in its arsenal, insert it here.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 20, 2009, 11:11:36 pm
Anyone in this thread who will not immediately start screaming and attempting to tear their own skin off when I say the magic words "Let's get freaky now, let's get fuck*ng freaky now." has been fortunate enough to not have suffered from exposure to teenagers (or exposing themself/selves to teenagers) in the past three months.

Whatever the angriest emoticon this forum's software has in its arsenal, insert it here.

screamo-crunk is a scourge on mankind that needs to be eradicated.  FAST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0)

you have been warned


also, my current earworm is sour girl-stone temple pilots
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Toaster on August 21, 2009, 06:54:44 am
brokenCYDE needs to get the fuck off of our lawn.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on August 21, 2009, 05:01:51 pm
Lets get funkin' freaky now indeed.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2009, 11:48:53 am
Poll: Should I de-friend Mr. Golf on Facebook with extreme prejudice because now I have "We Built this City" stuck in my head, or should I take a deep breath and calm down until I remember what an otherwise admirable person he is?

Really, it is Facebook's fault. When you guys post links in this thread, all I have to do is not click and I'm safe, but a link posted on FB has too much information.

What the world needs is a list of good songs that are earmwormy enough to drive a bad one away.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 29, 2009, 12:52:34 am
almost anything by the beatles?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2009, 12:54:13 am
That might work, but as I have noted elsewhere, the Beatles give me wickedest craving for sushi, which is inconvenient as well. There is nowhere nearby with decent sushi.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on August 29, 2009, 01:00:08 am
The Beatles make you crave sushi?  Have you any idea why this is?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2009, 01:07:39 am
Yes, it's no mystery - at the sushi restaurant where I most frequently go, the owner plays a mix of his favorite Beatles songs over and over, never anything else.

The exception is Beatles songs with sitar, which make me want to go out for Indian.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2009, 01:44:31 am
The exception is Beatles songs with sitar, which make me want to go out for Indian.

That's cause you want it Within You instead of Without You.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on August 29, 2009, 03:09:46 am
got to get giraffe into my life

Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2009, 03:28:40 am
My roommate and I have developed, somehow, this weird inside joke where we pretend we can't tell the difference between The Strokes and The Beatles.

It is not really funny to anyone, except maybe him.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 29, 2009, 04:09:43 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYMC6atRoE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYMC6atRoE)
I recently downloaded all of Birdy Nam Nam's work, but this song has stuck in my head for awhile now.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on August 29, 2009, 05:10:38 am
I found my old Cranberries CD today so now I have Zombie stuck in my heeeead. In my heeeeead. Zombie-ie-ie.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2009, 05:16:42 am
He's a heeeeeeeeead, he's a heeeee-ea-ea-ead, Jambi, Jambi, Jambi...
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: lprkn on August 29, 2009, 06:46:32 am
I found my old Cranberries CD today so now I have Zombie stuck in my heeeead. In my heeeeead. Zombie-ie-ie.

Hanging's too good for you. Which reminds me (http://www.snuhfiles.com/sound/john_jacob_niles-the_maid_freed_from_the_gallows-cb_9.mp3).
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: wombat on September 20, 2009, 03:41:22 pm
This seems like the place to pass on this tweet from our old friend Lileks:
Quote
Stuck in traffic, listening to 80s Channel. Do we have any estimates on how many were injured before the development of the Safety Dance?

But what I really wanted to say was: Did They Might Be Giants sell their souls for the ability to write earworms? ARGH, ENOUGH WITH THE BIRDHOUSE IN MY fuck*ng SOUL.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on September 21, 2009, 12:49:39 am
puh puh puh pokerface puh puh pokerface

cant read my cant read my no they cant read uh my uh pokerface
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 21, 2009, 02:13:20 am
puh puh puh pokerface puh puh pokerface

cant read my cant read my no they cant read uh my uh pokerface

pokerface?

i hardly know 'er....

[[stands at the edge of the roof]] im sorry about that, dudes.  tell all the gang at 42nd street that i will soon be there, etc... [[throws himself to the ground]]
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 19, 2009, 05:04:27 am
GODDAMIT JAYDUB GOT ME THINKING ABOUT STOCKTON AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW I'M RESSURECTING THIS THREAD BECAUSE THE RODEO SONG IS STUCK IN MY HEAD LIKE A SHOVEL PITCHED THROUGH A TREE BY A HURRICANE!


I love this stupid fuck*ng song.  Best earworm ever.  And I thank you for it doubly, because it has replaced the incessant loop of "If you buhleeeve, we put a man on the moon (man on the moon, man on man on man on)" that has been driving me crazy all day.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on November 19, 2009, 05:29:17 am
"If you buhleeeve, we put a man on the moon (man on the moon, man on man on man on)" that has been driving me crazy all day.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh!
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2009, 05:53:28 am
I think you just lost JL's vote, Blue
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on November 19, 2009, 06:13:08 am
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THERE'S NOTHin HALFway ABOUT the iowa way to TREAT you when we TREAT you which we may not do AT allllllllllll


THERE'S AN iowa kind of SPECIal chip-on-the-shoulderrrATTITUde we've NEVEr been without that we REcall


it can bE COLD AS the falling thermometer in december when we ask about the weather in juLY

but we're so BY-GOD STUBborn we could stand touchING NOSES FOR A week and a half and NEVER SEE eye to EYE-eye-eye

but what the HECK, you're welCOME! JOIN us AT the PICnic! YOU CAN have THE fill OF all THE food ya bring yourself

you really ought TO give iOWa a tryyyyyyyyyyyy provided you are con-traryyyyyyy



(my high-school-musical earworm antidote. it only works if you know the music man.)
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on November 19, 2009, 06:57:37 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCXr_6wgns

wow, worst movie ever made.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2009, 01:59:37 pm
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THERE'S NOTHin HALFway ABOUT the iowa way to TREAT you when we TREAT you which we may not do AT allllllllllll


THERE'S AN iowa kind of SPECIal chip-on-the-shoulderrrATTITUde we've NEVEr been without that we REcall


it can bE COLD AS the falling thermometer in december when we ask about the weather in juLY

but we're so BY-GOD STUBborn we could stand touchING NOSES FOR A week and a half and NEVER SEE eye to EYE-eye-eye

but what the HECK, you're welCOME! JOIN us AT the PICnic! YOU CAN have THE fill OF all THE food ya bring yourself

you really ought TO give iOWa a tryyyyyyyyyyyy provided you are con-traryyyyyyy



(my high-school-musical earworm antidote. it only works if you know the music man.)

I see your song and raise you a Gary, Indiana (which was in my head for weeks after Michael Jackson died) and Shipoopi.

Today I heard Flag Pole Sitta which will be in my head for the rest of the day. I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding, the cretins cloning and feeding.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on November 19, 2009, 02:53:55 pm
I see your song and raise you a Gary, Indiana (which was in my head for weeks after Michael Jackson died) and Shipoopi.

Today I heard Flag Pole Sitta which will be in my head for the rest of the day. I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding, the cretins cloning and feeding.

Pedro and I did Music Man in high school. We also did Carousel, which was just similar enough that I conflate the two in my head and can't remember which songs went with what. But yeah, Shipoopi is not a song you want to give a bunch of teenagers.

Which one had "This Was A Real Nice Clambake?"
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2009, 03:09:16 pm
Pedro and I did Music Man in high school. We also did Carousel, which was just similar enough that I conflate the two in my head and can't remember which songs went with what. But yeah, Shipoopi is not a song you want to give a bunch of teenagers.

Which one had "This Was A Real Nice Clambake?"

I don't recall that line, but my memory is for suck. I do remember it took us about at week to turn 76 Trombones into a song about cocks. Then we did Oliver! and it only took about 13 seconds for us to warp Food, Glorious Food (hot sausage and man mustard)
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on November 19, 2009, 04:45:04 pm
Which one had "This Was A Real Nice Clambake?"

that would be carousel.

my high school did one musical a year: the wiz, the king and i, west side story, the music man. i was in 3.

in college i was in a couple as well: into the woods, ruddigore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_and_Sullivan#Ruddigore), can't remember the others (was too high)

who else is a recovering theatre fag? and i use that term in the reclaim-it-from-teh-bullies sense
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on November 19, 2009, 04:59:13 pm
Pedro minored in theatre. He acted in or worked on fourteen shows during his five years of college.

Cort and Bobby used to be involved in theatre, too.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Choop on November 19, 2009, 05:04:12 pm
nice, i worked on and/or acted in nine of twelve shows in my four years of college. i'd have done all twelve but for that danged ole social probation.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2009, 05:30:59 pm
I can't sign at all so I just teched for the musicals (other than a small role in Oliver!). I do remember a live wire coming out of the lighting grid and flopping around backstage during The Fantatiks.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2009, 05:43:37 pm
Alohadawg is a big theatre dude.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 19, 2009, 07:42:05 pm
I am still working on coining the term "clambake" as the distaff term for "sausage party" and I had hoped that this thread was evidence of my success.

Nertz.

Anyway, I was only in the drama club senior year of high school. I played the boss in "Pajama Game" and was allowed to interpret him as utterly evil and expand the part accordingly as there were so few guys in the drama club, they kinda had to let me be a weirdo. Yeah.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 19, 2009, 07:47:36 pm
I was Officer Krupke in West Side Story.  I developed a gigantic bruise on my arm from being knocked on my ass in rehearsal every day.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 19, 2009, 08:15:29 pm
i was in  'wizard of oz' and 'guys-n-dolls' in HS.  also, a few years ago, i was in a community theater production of 'little women'.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 19, 2009, 08:18:22 pm
Today I heard Flag Pole Sitta which will be in my head for the rest of the day. I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding, the cretins cloning and feeding.

Niiice, Jester.  Now I have "Carlotta VALLLLdezzz" ringing through my brain.  Great album, for real.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 19, 2009, 08:19:12 pm
i was in  'wizard of oz' and 'guys-n-dolls' in HS.  also, a few years ago, i was in a community theater production of 'little women'.

Were you Beth, Amy, or Jo?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2009, 08:54:27 pm
I was Officer Krupke in West Side Story.  I developed a gigantic bruise on my arm from being knocked on my ass in rehearsal every day.

You should have taken your arm out of your ass.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 19, 2009, 09:46:38 pm
You should have taken your arm out of your ass.

Oh, so canned.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: lprkn on November 20, 2009, 02:01:44 am
Salt-n-Pepa - Push It (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4onJ7Z2MLI)

I dare you to not have the intro clawing your brains for the next 30 minutes,
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on November 20, 2009, 02:32:05 am
I did guys and dolls and wizard of oz, too! I was also in the non-musical plays.
I enjoyed it at the time, but I left that stuff in high school and never looked back.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: miles on November 20, 2009, 04:03:58 am
I am still working on coining the term "clambake" as the distaff term for "sausage party" and I had hoped that this thread was evidence of my success.

I approve of this, and wish you luck.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: schnitzelbank on November 20, 2009, 04:37:12 pm
I was Officer Krupke in West Side Story.  I developed a gigantic bruise on my arm from being knocked on my ass in rehearsal every day.

My high school marching band did West Side Story one year. I used to think the injuries I sustained from drill written with very little room for error during encounters with the flag corps and their props were the worst part of the whole production, but those have long since healed. Today's broadcast will go something like: MAAAARRRRIIIIIAAAAAAA! I feel PRETTY! When you're a JET... I want to be in AMERICA... blast and damnation.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2009, 06:48:29 pm
I played in the orchestra for one show in college.  It was Man of La Mancha.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 24, 2009, 06:54:14 pm
Were you Beth, Amy, or Jo?

all 3
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 24, 2009, 06:59:30 pm
all 3

dang, it took you a while to see that.  I laughed when I posted it!  And for at least two days afterwards.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: dejavroom on December 07, 2009, 06:19:37 pm
I have the same bit of music stuck in my mind for the last three days. Music I myself wrote. You would think that would be cool. It is Not.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 08, 2009, 06:34:14 am
dang, it took you a while to see that.  I laughed when I posted it!  And for at least two days afterwards.

im not always quick on the uptake.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: R2DTrousers on December 09, 2009, 12:15:12 am
I have a couple very long-term earworms that I unconsciously start humming now and then. Have done for years:


1) Quantum Leap Theme.

2) I am the Resurrection Guitar Solo.

WHY????!
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2009, 12:19:56 am


1) Quantum Leap Theme.



This used to be my general-purpose ringtone.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on December 09, 2009, 12:48:23 am
my general-purpose ringtone is the "Keyboard Cat" song and it makes me smile every time.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 09, 2009, 03:03:57 am
My lady was physically repulsed by my old ringtone "Sweet Child O Mine" so I eventually changed it to "Wish You Were Here" which she does not care for but is not actively offended by.

She did not let me count this as a replacement for any kind of holiday or event related presents, though.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Mr Trout on December 09, 2009, 03:15:58 am
My favorite ringtone was the one my ex had set on her phone which was ahhhnold counting reps (I assume it was from an old workout tape?) over "Don't Stop Believing."
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 09, 2009, 03:18:17 am
What is the ringtone that is just someone whistling? Its from something, kind of eerie... yeah I know real helpful. I had a friend who used it and I have no idea how to find it. It would always make everyone look around for the person that was whistling.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2009, 03:22:45 am

whistling

I dunno, but now I've got "Whistling in the Dark" running through my head.

Fuck.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: miles on December 09, 2009, 03:29:48 am
My favorite ringtone was the one my ex had set on her phone which was ahhhnold counting reps (I assume it was from an old workout tape?) over "Don't Stop Believing."

Oh man, this shit's (http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/08/arnold_schwarze.html) compelling. The counting starts at about :37 in. Haven't listened to the other ones yet.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 09, 2009, 03:39:59 am
all my ladyfriends have brick house-the commodores.  all my doods and my brothers have a clip from no jumper cables (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wslm6NFHh-U)*-aesop rock




*the remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tt6s6qj83U) is way better.  it was on tony hawks underground 2.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Mr Trout on December 09, 2009, 04:11:23 am
Oh man, this shit's (http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/08/arnold_schwarze.html) compelling. The counting starts at about :37 in. Haven't listened to the other ones yet.

Oh wow I can't believe you found that. It was actually a ringtone that you ncould buy from the verizon store. I kind of wondered how the royalty structure for that one worked.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 09, 2009, 04:12:49 am
My current earworm:  "Hello muddah, hello faddah, here I am at, Camp Grenada..."  FML
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2009, 04:21:28 am
All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here...in my arms

Words are so very
Unnecessary
They can only do harm...

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaah kill it kill it kill it

Oh fuck it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diT3FvDHMyo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diT3FvDHMyo)

Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Drygioni on December 09, 2009, 04:22:18 am
I have a couple very long-term earworms that I unconsciously start humming now and then. Have done for years:


1) Quantum Leap Theme.

2) I am the Resurrection Guitar Solo.

WHY????!

ALL of it?!
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: CortJstr on December 09, 2009, 05:28:57 am
My current ringtone: Deep in the Sand by Budos Band (instrumental funk played by white boys)

My all time earworm: Another One Bites the Dust by Queen. My ex and I would just tap three time and this song would instantly get stuck in the other person's head.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: R2DTrousers on December 09, 2009, 02:39:06 pm
ALL of it?!

Well... the first 40 seconds or so. My rendition gets kinda hazy after that.

Dewn dewn dudiddlen dew dewwn
Diddlebep bep bep bep bahdiddlew
Dewn dewn dudiddlen dew dewwn
Diddlebep bep bep bep bah diddlew
Bowp bowp biddlow bowp bowp bowp bowwwm
Brrlbahp bap bap bap ba biddleow
Bowww baba boww baba boww bababababap bap bap
Bap babap babap babap babababah bap bahhhh
Biddlah bapbap bapbap bapbap baaaaah
dingydingyding!
etc.

Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: rowboat on December 12, 2009, 08:22:21 pm
I've probably listened to St. Vincent's The Strangers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6T0pMOc0s&feature=related) forty times in the last two days. I even dreamed of it.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 12, 2009, 09:34:49 pm
My favourite ringtone ever:

.- -. ... .-- . .-. / -- . / -. --- .--

i dont speak braille, dude.  what does that say?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: linnea on December 12, 2009, 09:40:37 pm
i dont speak braille, dude.  what does that say?

Hahah, that is Morse, dogg! http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 12, 2009, 09:44:15 pm
Hahah, that is Morse, dogg! http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm

thanks for dropping the knowledge, but that was a joke.  i forgot to denote it with a wink or whatever.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: linnea on December 12, 2009, 09:47:32 pm
Ahh, yeah. That one went right over my head.

When I lived in Colorado and had a hellish commute, I was listening to cds to try to learn Morse (I have a ham radio license too). I didn't put in the time consistently to learn it, though. Yet I could only recognize a few of the letters Ash typed, so I had to use the converter anyway.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: miles on December 12, 2009, 10:16:34 pm
I've probably listened to St. Vincent's The Strangers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6T0pMOc0s&feature=related) forty times in the last two days. I even dreamed of it.

I really liked that one too. Not as much as The Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbp9kZlfITg) from the same album. I don't much care for the rest of it.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: rowboat on December 13, 2009, 08:06:21 am
I really liked that one too. Not as much as The Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbp9kZlfITg) from the same album. I don't much care for the rest of it.
Yeah, it's a little spotty. I mean, with an opener like that it's almost kinda unfair. If you're gonna set the bar that high that early in an album you better be ready to follow it up.

Still, the few that are solid are extremely solid.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 06, 2010, 05:06:47 pm
I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04&feature=related)
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2010, 07:28:34 pm
 SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ)

apparently one of the guys in this group is Berry Gordy's grandson. How far we've come.

Something about this video makes me think... hyper-real. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreality)
And reading the article, wow. Yeah, this is definitely a blending of fantasy and reality.
But I meant more in the way of that artist who made wax sculptures of people that were ultra-realistic and put them in art galleries, and it would be like, a janitor with a bunch of cleaning supplies.
or Chuck Close.

Something about this video feels... high-definition? or something? It is so crisp, there are so many things going on, it doesn't seem to take place in the imaginary world of rap videos. It is in a pool at a hotel and everyone is doing these insane things.

Edited to fix broken url
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: smick on January 07, 2010, 12:17:18 am
I've probably listened to St. Vincent's The Strangers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6T0pMOc0s&feature=related) forty times in the last two days. I even dreamed of it.

Ok, the last page of this thread has made me feel like I tripped and fell into an alternate dimension.  A dimension where everything is the same except all the musical artists are different.

Then suddenly I clicked on this link...and... I heard this song.   I KNOW THIS SONG...  I'm syncing back to reality.  Why does everyone know St. Vincent but me?

How did I miss some cultural primacy?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Doc on January 07, 2010, 06:09:54 am
What is the ringtone that is just someone whistling? Its from something, kind of eerie... yeah I know real helpful. I had a friend who used it and I have no idea how to find it. It would always make everyone look around for the person that was whistling.

Not exactly timely but do you mean the whistling song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENyGj_NQKkU) from Kill Bill?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: smick on January 07, 2010, 06:22:02 pm
I think he means this:  Peter Bjorn and John - Young Folks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51V1VMkuyx0
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2010, 06:33:02 pm
There's a Kanye West (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LVvCSZKvf8) version of that as well. 

"And yup, in my bag, a whole bag of porn."
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2010, 07:28:35 pm
Maybe it was the Andy Griffin Theme Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQTddaIO2s).
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2011, 02:34:42 am
Back in the day (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5029.msg136062.html#msg136062) in this thread I wished for a list of good songs that were earwormy enough to drive the bad ones out.

Well now this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAqbnTKQBIY) has been stuck in my head for days. and I am perfectly happy about it. In fact a couple days when something perfectly awful displaced it, I went and listened to this to get rid of it. It's like a miracle cure!

But now I am worried. Am I eventually going to get sick of this song? Should I try to cure the earworm before the song is ruined forever?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 23, 2011, 04:25:22 am
I have had this song stuck in my head for about a week:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19vApPwWqh8

It is a favorite of mine, but I don't think I have heard it in a while.  Why did this happen?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: Nabubrush on January 23, 2011, 04:36:51 am
I never get earworms anymore. I don't know why. I used to all the time. Maybe I just don't care anymore?
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: theinevitable on January 23, 2011, 04:42:39 am
Hm.

I'm debating starting a youtube account just so I can post songs online and link people to them.

There is this one song that gets stuck in my head every single time I hear it, but I can't find it anywhere linkable.
Title: Re: Earworms
Post by: jay-ell on February 09, 2011, 09:00:44 pm
He's climbin' in your window, snatchin' your people up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKsVSBhSwJg).

All. Dang. Day. Why? Why? Why?