The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 13, 2009, 04:02:54 am

Title: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 13, 2009, 04:02:54 am
Anybody up for an NFL league this year?  I'll Commish (unless somebody else wants to.)
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on August 13, 2009, 04:01:42 pm
Count me in
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 13, 2009, 05:07:53 pm
Yes.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Gimpson on August 13, 2009, 06:56:32 pm
I can play this year.  I decided to limit myself to two leagues this season, then the two leagues I decided to enter decided to merge. 
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 13, 2009, 06:57:31 pm
yes
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 13, 2009, 08:24:21 pm
sure
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 13, 2009, 11:08:51 pm
OK, that's at least seven.  I'll get it set up tonight and get back to you.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2009, 01:45:04 pm
Proper Attyre For Footballe (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/573108)

League ID: 573108
PW: smuckles

Draft is set for 8/28/09 at 3:30 pm EDT.

Take a look at the settings.  I've added more players and more scoring categories which should lead to a more wide-open game.  More of an AFL experience, if you will.  Take a look and if you hate it, let me know and I'll change it.

Good luck, you rock and roll faggots.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Gimpson on August 14, 2009, 02:05:32 pm
(It seems the password is case sensitive, and is not capitalized as AW posted it.)
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2009, 02:16:08 pm
fixed it.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 14, 2009, 03:29:12 pm
I am... DA LUV GUN.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on August 14, 2009, 07:57:41 pm
In keeping with my past theme of team naming, I am the "Hamstrung Deadwood".
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on August 15, 2009, 07:29:30 pm
The lab rats ride again.

Some personal thoughts:

I'm not sure I like the Q/W/R/T combination, since that's going to end up being another QB spot (even with 4 points/passing TD).  The W/R one is one of my favorites, though.  I'm definitely not a fan of having a single defensive player spot, but on the other hand I haven't actually played in a league with one.  I don't think 8 bench slots is enough to cover the number of player slots that are open -- cutting two roster positions or adding another bench slot would be good.

I personally would have made 0-19 misses -2 and 20-29 misses -1, but the way it is now isn't that objectionable.

I like that return yards are counted.  It's a big part of the game and it's nice to see it in FF.  I like counting safeties as more than 2 points since they're so rare, but 2's standard so no real argument there.

Sorry if I'm overthinking this, but I am a game designer. :)
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2009, 09:03:19 pm
Your input is very welcome.  I tried to think about it a little, but I didn't mull it over much.  While not a game designer, I do think about writing rules a lot which is sort of related.

I had the same concern about the Q/W/R/T combo.  You'll probably never see a T in there.  On the other hand, if we get enough folks playing it'll be at best a second tier Q.  What if I dropped the Q/W/R/T combo, added another Q slot and another W/R slot? Too much?

I'll think about your scoring suggestions.

I'll definitely add another bench slot. 
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 21, 2009, 02:31:12 am
Just signed up.  We should keep it small we are having 3 qbs per team, which is what we will need.  That is like every QB in the league if we have ten people.

Or just take away one qb?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 21, 2009, 02:59:28 am
I took away a Q.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 21, 2009, 03:31:56 am
Well, if no one else signs up we could bring it back.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 26, 2009, 12:08:15 am
Can I field an entire team of convicted criminals?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on August 26, 2009, 12:14:01 am
If Wall street firms can do it, why not you?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 26, 2009, 12:15:29 am
If Wall street firms can do it, why not you?
I don't get it.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2009, 02:26:42 am
Can I field an entire team of convicted criminals?

If Wall street firms can do it, why not you?

I don't get it.

Capitalist have no morals and will steal from little old ladies and children.  This is common knowledge.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on August 26, 2009, 04:19:35 pm
Add in the irony that I'm a rock-ribbed free-marketer.  Not that I think the free market makes everything rainbows-and-lollipops.  I just doubt Its impossible that any bureaucracy can do it better.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Gimpson on August 27, 2009, 11:41:39 am
I would like to thank the Yahoo! Fantasy Football email alerts.  I had the draft on my calendar as 3:30 EDT on Saturday, when the draft is actually 3:30 EDT tomorrow.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2009, 12:26:42 pm
We need one more player so we can have an even number.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 27, 2009, 06:44:51 pm
Seeing as how I completely sketched-out on baseball per the overwhelming nature of my circumstances on and off, I would not be the most active part of Imaginary Football but, like, if you guys can't get anyone else, I'll sign up tonight to even it out.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2009, 08:40:28 pm
Is Nabu in this year?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 27, 2009, 10:30:39 pm
Okie-day, I'm in. Syracuse-centric name this time.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 27, 2009, 10:44:51 pm
Yes nabu is in this year, I invited him via facebook.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2009, 12:34:36 pm
Don't forget, the draft starts today at 3:30!  I'll be online for the start, but I'll probably be forced to auto-draft cause I ain't hanging around work late on a Friday afternoon.  Nuh-uh.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2009, 07:44:46 pm
10th! MOTHERFUCKER!

So much for getting a shot at one of the top RB this year.

Yep.  I'm right next to you in 9th.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on August 28, 2009, 09:45:45 pm
I hope the autodraft gods were good to me.  I tried briefly to participate, then got the guilts over an actual work-related thing I was supposed to be doing.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 29, 2009, 02:39:05 pm
Despite my showing up a few rounds late, I like what I got.  Jones-Drew and Portis I'd have probably picked in those spots anyway, so there you go. Wish I had a better QB though.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on September 10, 2009, 07:15:36 pm
Just over 5 hours to the first game.  Make sure your roster is set by 8:30...

And good luck to everyone.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on September 10, 2009, 09:49:15 pm
May your cornerbacks come down with turf toe, and hip pointers afflict your linebackers.

I'd throw in a curse involving "sports hernias", but Donovan McNabb is my starter and I don't need that kind of karma.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on September 15, 2009, 05:08:54 pm
That was a special opening weekend.  I grabbed Garcia the moment that news broke.  He's on waivers the last time I checked.

Can't believe Urlacher's out.  That guy seems snakebit recently.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on September 20, 2009, 11:42:50 pm
If Byron Leftwich goes down with a crippling back injury next week, he'll have me to blame.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 28, 2009, 03:21:22 am
Hey Ash, now every time I see Mark Schlereth I think of you.
http://deadspin.com/5367816/mark-schlereth-is-awful-and-needs-to-be-liquidated
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 05, 2009, 02:03:08 am
Upon reflection, this league setting is like 15 times more complicated than last year's.

Wow.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2009, 02:38:40 am
Yeah, definitely.  I'm still not sure what's up with the W/R category - but I do like the defensive specialist contributing.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on October 05, 2009, 06:30:27 am
It is pretty crazy that Joshua Cribbs is one of my leading contributors.  I keep wondering if he is related to Joe Cribbs, who no one else will remember.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on October 10, 2009, 04:52:50 am
Ah, but you did not know that when he played for the Birmingham Stallions he rented a house on my street, and my path home from school went through said house's backyard.

If you did know this, you are very creepy and I'm going to ask that you not reveal this knowledge to me.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 10, 2009, 05:30:57 am
Mark Schlereth's name came up again recently.  Ash will no doubt be delighted to know that Tater Guts' genetic code is now part of some ESPN writer's DNA study of NFL linemen.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 12, 2009, 06:00:33 pm
Well, to be fair the population included D-linemen.  I think the study picked linemen because they seem to be the most unlike-the-rest-of-humanity.  Ironically, it seems the results of the study show them to be, genetically, entirely typical.  The sportswriter concluded that the difference comes down to nurture - I think there's more genetic variation that we either aren't measuring yet, or don't understand at the moment. Methylation and other epigenetic factors could be in play.  Or the study should have been done with my company's products instead of our competitor's.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 12, 2009, 06:02:59 pm
In other news, sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut.  Hamstrung Deadwood is poised for their first victory of the season.  There is even a chance to move out of the cellar in total points.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 12, 2009, 09:00:40 pm
None of the preceding four pages were in actual English, were they?   ???
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 15, 2009, 03:23:20 pm
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/raiders_achieve_first_down
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 15, 2009, 04:45:00 pm
Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on October 20, 2009, 05:40:02 am
Argh.  If I'd won on that bullshit TD I would have protested it.  As it is, I'll just sit and stare at Julius Jones and his 5 yards in my roster, and when he looks up at me, I'll glance meaningfully at Mario Manningham.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2009, 02:03:05 pm
OK, so for next week two of my three team defenses are on the bye week.  Here's what's available on the waiver wire:
Tampa Bay, at New England
St. Louis, at Indy

Yeah.  I think I'm just gonna let that spot sit empty.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2009, 02:46:56 pm

St. Louis, at Indy


Actually, it's Indy at St Louis, which I know because I am going.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2009, 03:22:55 pm
So it is.  And the TB-NE game is in London, England.  This is not a joke.  It's counted as a home game for the Bucs.
Still and all... team defense is like a gigantic pit of suck for my team.  
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2009, 05:05:36 pm
Y'know, I kinda miss having the NFL available out here.

But not enough to ever have anything nice to say about the Lambs. Hope you enjoy the game, regardless.

Older daughter is a huge Peyton Manning, and by extension, Colt fan.  The in-laws have Rams season tickets.  Should be a blowout, but it'll be fun.  It's her first professional game.

As to fantasy football?  Well, I suppose I made my bed and I guess I'll just have to lie in it now. 
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: rowboat on October 20, 2009, 05:25:50 pm
Y'know, I kinda miss having the NFL available out here.

But not enough to ever have anything nice to say about the Lambs. Hope you enjoy the game, regardless.
PLEASE TAKE THEM BACK WE DON'T WANT THEM ANYMORE THANK YOU
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 20, 2009, 06:04:03 pm
The only value that team has (besides as a whipping boy for my Niners) is occasionally they'll draft/acquire a big back1 who gets dubbed "Battering Ram", which is kind of a cool image.

1cf. Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Steven Jackson
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2009, 07:49:28 pm
pssst...Tennessee is coming up on waivers...

The same Tennessee that just had 59 dropped on them by the Patriots?  SIGN ME UP!

Here in the DC area, everyone is distraught about the state of the Redskins.  The Iggles are here Monday night; I'm hoping to find someone so disgusted that they're giving away their tickets, so I can go and cheer on the opposition.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 20, 2009, 08:06:40 pm
The same Tennessee that just had 59 dropped on them by the Patriots?  SIGN ME UP!

Here in the DC area, everyone is distraught about the state of the Redskins.  The Iggles are here Monday night; I'm hoping to find someone so disgusted that they're giving away their tickets, so I can go and cheer on the opposition.
Being in VA this weekend I watched the skins. At half time the crowd turned toward the owner's box and booed. Security had to come by and tell fans to stop cursing at the players on the bench. The game ended on safety. The next day the coach was replaced. Awesome!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 20, 2009, 09:12:33 pm
Why would I want San Diego to take the pipe? Norv Turner. Dudes been turning the franchise into a shinier turd ever since he got the handles. Good talent that performs unevenly (undisciplined) points right at the coach, Norv has gots to go.

Agreed.  Even Nabu thought this was so (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2658.msg89692.html#msg89692).
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on October 20, 2009, 10:32:06 pm
Why did the Chargers get rid of Schottenheimer?  All he did was get them an 11-5 record and build a juggernaut of a running offense...
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 21, 2009, 12:33:57 am
Being in VA this weekend I watched the skins. At half time the crowd turned toward the owner's box and booed. Security had to come by and tell fans to stop cursing at the players on the bench. The game ended on safety. The next day the coach was replaced. Awesome!

Zorn hasn't been fired... yet.  He's been relieved of his play-calling duties, which is rather insulting considering that he was brought in because he was supposed to be this offensive genius.  If I understand this correctly, Sherm Lewis is going to call the plays now.  Sherm was recently hired by the Redskins, at the time for a mysterious "special assistant" position, after being out of the NFL for five years.  His most recent job?  Bingo caller.

So yeah, shit is fucked up in Redskins Town of late.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on November 02, 2009, 07:49:15 pm
St Louis Rams had an interesting fix for lack of quarterback production - have the kicker pass.  Nice boost on the Fantasy Points there, Ash.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on November 02, 2009, 07:52:58 pm
I cannot win.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on November 03, 2009, 03:26:29 pm
Hamstrung Deadwood: 200.96
Thomas Tiger: 200.52

Victory by the slimmest of margins!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on November 04, 2009, 07:11:02 am
I almost lost to someone who didn't have an active QB.  More fun of the fantasy league.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 04, 2009, 07:27:20 am
I just... don't know that much in-depth about imaginary foozball, is my problem.

I know all the casual fan stuff but... yeah. That is exactly as far as it goes.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on November 12, 2009, 04:21:08 pm
Just reminding everyone that tonight is the first of the NFL Network's Thursday games.  If you have players on the 49ers or the Bears, get them where you want them soon.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 12, 2009, 05:27:33 pm
Just reminding everyone that tonight is the first of the NFL Network's Thursday games.  If you have players on the 49ers or the Bears, then your team probably sucks anyway, so don't sweat it.

FTFY.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on November 12, 2009, 07:20:54 pm
My fantasy team sucks donkey dong, but its not Frank Gore's fault.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 13, 2009, 04:59:55 pm
Apparently my warning about the Bears and 49ers was directed at... me.  Who has Jay Cutler and his five picks in the startling lineup?  Me (I do).  Incredibly, he still somehow scored 13 FP.  I was expecting him to be negative like JaMarcus Russell did earlier this season.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on November 13, 2009, 07:16:28 pm
Cutler blows and all, but he's no Jamarcus Russell.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on November 13, 2009, 10:13:35 pm
The Raiders fanboys around here were creaming themselves over JaMarcus showing up an hour and a half early for the game so he could watch film.  That's 1 week in a row for improved discipline, I guess.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 14, 2009, 04:54:32 am
Note: I always dug the Raiders, but that was before Al Davis went batshit crazy(-er) and plowed the franchise into a ditch of despair.

He used to be crazy like a fox.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 23, 2009, 03:09:07 pm
 It appears that I am losing to AW's squad.  They were 1-9 going in.  Now I know how the Steelers feel woofing one to Kansas City this week.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on November 23, 2009, 03:21:30 pm
It appears that I am losing to AW's squad.  They were 1-9 going in.  Now I know how the Steelers feel woofing one to Kansas City this week.

That's great, but who are the "Chefs"?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2009, 03:24:54 pm
That's great, but who are the "Chefs"?

Googaly Moogaly!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2009, 11:02:53 pm
Interesting matchup tonight.  Lister's Lab Rats are ahead in points, but A-CAP's Da Luv Gun has Moss and Brady poised to go.  Will a huge night from Robert Meachem (??) be enough to hold A-CAP's team at bay?  Will Gostkowski bring in the deciding points on kicks?  Does the fact that Notorious Lincoln NE's team still has Trent Edwards as a starting QB indicate its a Zombie team?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 30, 2009, 11:20:15 pm
I am only somewhat terrible and had I been paying attention early on, I would probably sneak into the playoffs.

So boo to not paying attention!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2009, 04:46:38 am
I'm officially withdrawing my implied snark over Robert Meachem.  That dude can flat out play.  Don't think its gonna save Lister's bacon though.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 02, 2009, 05:34:13 pm
Here is your Proper Attyre For Footballe league preview for week 13.

Two weeks to go in the regular season.  Six teams make the playoffs; the top two get a first-round bye.

Cop Out Malcolm Xs have clinched the #1 overall spot already.  The Venomous Monkeys and DA LUV GUN are tied for second and have effectively clinched playoff spots (technically they need a win this week or a loss by one of the 6-6 teams, but since two of those teams are playing each other this week, there you go).

Then we've got four teams at 6-6 (Thomas Tiger, Banana Town Biplanes, Lister's Lab Rats, and Fightin' Forty-Fours), plus Hamstrung Deadwood just behind at 5-7, fighting for three spots.  Tigers vs. Biplanes this week in a critical match-up; 44s vs. Deadwood is pretty much a must-win for the Deadwood if they want to stay in this.

Sorry, Johnny U's Haircut and NotoriousLincolnNE, but all you can do is play spoiler at this point.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2009, 05:37:37 pm
My skill at Pretend Football is demonstrated in my doubts over Lister's chances and the subsequent outcome.  Who knew Brady and Moss could flop so badly?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 02, 2009, 06:14:18 pm
My skill at Pretend Football is demonstrated in my doubts over Lister's chances and the subsequent outcome.  Who knew Brady and Moss could flop so badly?
Yeah that was ridiculous. I lost by 4 points.
Team DA LUV GUN is playing Notorious lincoln this week, and if I lose to him Im quitting pretend football forever.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on December 02, 2009, 06:37:40 pm
Sorry, Johnny U's Haircut but all you can do is play spoiler at this point.

You better believe I'm going to do my best to do just that.  Mwahahahaha!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 10, 2009, 06:30:27 am
I am officially in the "I Want To At Least Get Into The Playoffs" panic mode zone.

Picking up dudes I have never heard of, on the merit of projected score this week.

Yeah. Yeah. If I had only paid attention the first two or three weeks, had that one more "paying attention" win...
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 10, 2009, 02:35:23 pm
Ooh, thanks for the reminder.  Time for the Proper Attyre For Football week 13 review and week 14 preview.

Malcolm Xs squeaked one out over the Monkeys and are looking well nigh unstoppable.  DA LUV GUN held serve against Lincoln, so DA LUV GUN has a leg up for second place and the first-round bye.  The Monkeys need to win and hope for a LUV GUN loss to take away the #2 seed.

The Tigers, Lab Rats, and the 44s all won last week to go to 7-6.  A win for each of them this week clinches a playoff spot; however, the Tigers and Lab Rats play each other.

Deadwood's loss to the 44s knocks them out of playoff contention.  The only other team with a shot at the playoffs is the Banana Town Biplanes at 6-7, so the Biplanes need to defeat the Venomous Monkeys, have one of the 7-6 teams lose AND pass that team in total points (the 44s seem the most likely candidate).  A Biplanes loss this week will clinch playoff spots for all three of the 7-6 teams no matter what they do.

Good luck, everyone.  (Except the 44s.  Go down in flames, you.)
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 10, 2009, 06:08:56 pm
Quote from: carlosdelvaca
(Except the 44s.  Go down in flames, you.)

I named them after the honour number at Syracuse University. Of COURSE they'll choke!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 15, 2009, 04:53:13 am
Irony: the 44s stayed in the playoffs because the 49ers defense... went Bananas.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on December 15, 2009, 06:48:55 am
Today was an awesome, awesome day for both RL and pretend football.  Frank Gore and Joe Nedney ponied up the points to put me over Lister's team, and the Niners took another step towards regaining their dominance.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on December 15, 2009, 01:33:27 pm
I'm just glad I got my third win for the season.  I had wanted to knock somebody out of the playoffs with it, but I guess you can't have everything.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 15, 2009, 02:33:24 pm
Irony: the 44s stayed in the playoffs because the 49ers defense... went Bananas.

Yeah, freakin' ridiculous.  If our fantasy games had ended Sunday night, everything would have been right with the world:  I was winning my game, and the 44s were down 30 or so points in theirs.  I got up this morning, put on SportsCenter, and heard "Seven turnovers by the Cardinals!"  Oh, that can't be good.  I don't quite understand how defensive scoring works in this league, but whatever, that was good for 40 points and it put the 44s ahead, and stuck the Biplanes at #7.

So it goes.  Your first-round playoff match-ups:
(3) Fightin' Forty-Fours vs. (6) Lister's Lab Rats
(4) The Venomous Monkeys vs. (5) Thomas Tiger

Cop Out Malcolm Xs and DA LUV GUN get a week to rest their players.  Good luck everyone.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on December 16, 2009, 12:07:40 am
I don't quite understand how defensive scoring works in this league, but whatever, that was good for 40 points and it put the 44s ahead, and stuck the Biplanes at #7.
Yeah, no kidding.  The Rams got spanked for 47 freaking points and they still pulled down more fantasy points (21.30) than Miami's defense (19.20) who held Jacksonville to 10.  Algorithm needs work.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 16, 2009, 12:50:39 am
You know what I think that's from?  Special teams return yards.  The Rams had over 200 yards worth of kickoff returns (what with the Titans scoring a lot, they kicked off repeatedly), if I'm reading the box score correctly.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 18, 2009, 03:18:43 pm
Damn but my active players put up hell of points last night.  Too bad I'm NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: bluemoon72 on December 18, 2009, 05:40:35 pm
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Bunny-pancake.gif)

I have been wanting to use that somewhere since like 2004.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 18, 2009, 06:00:53 pm
Da Luv Gun is in second place despite having the second lowest total points. I can only attribute this to weekly monkeying with my roster to just barely beat my opponent that week.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 21, 2009, 06:02:15 am
Unless the Redskin offense does miraculously well tomorrow, and that's not exactly something I'd put green money on, I have been bested.

Well-done, sir.

By the playoffs, we all have pretty good rosters and the winner is the one who is smarter about picking his starting team from that roster.

Whereas I just put the dude in that the computer projects as scoring the most points that week for that position.

And I can't seem to string together a single week where three out of four of my 3 WRs and my TE are all meaningfully productive at once.

And I didn't get a miracle from a QB, a DEF or a RB this week.

So yeah. There we are.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 22, 2009, 05:21:46 am
Uhhh... somehow I pulled this one off?

Well-fought, Lister. Such a close match-up.

Now I gotta... uh... figure out a #2 and #3 WR situation worth a damn.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 22, 2009, 03:31:14 pm
Let's review, shall we?

Thomas Tiger bested the Venomous Monkeys 203-182.  This one was not overly dramatic, as Philip Rivers and the Baltimore D had their usual big days for the Tigers.  The Monkeys got 48!! points from Ben Rothlisberger, but there were ample disappointments on his side of the ledger--how about Ryan Longwell putting up zero damn points, for instance.

In the other quarterfinal, the Fightin' 44s squeaked past Lister's Lab Rats by 1.4 points.  The Lab Rats were ahead as of Sunday night, but the 44s trio of Redskins put up juuuuuust enough points, despite their thrashing at the hands of the Giants, to put the 44s into the second round.  Fred Davis, the backup TE who is in there because of Cooley's injury, and Quinton Ganther, a backup RB who is in there for Portis, both scored TDs.

Semis next week:  Tigers vs. Cop Out Malcolm Xs, 44s vs. DA LUV GUN.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2009, 04:46:07 pm
I had a tight recap once, but I went to the chiropractor and he fixed it.

Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 27, 2009, 10:46:23 pm
If I lose this week on the rationale that I picked the wrong defense-specialist from my roster, that will be a shame most ugly.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 28, 2009, 06:41:11 am
If I lose this week on the rationale that I picked the wrong defense-specialist from my roster, that will be a shame most ugly.
You lost, despite me having the New York Giants defense. DA LUV GUN is an unstoppable force.
Watching the giants play today was like some kind of karmic dick slap for making fun of all my Redskin fan friends. How the fuck were they so bad? How do you forget how to play football?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Gimpson on December 28, 2009, 06:40:55 pm
I smell disaster coming sooner or later.  This is what happens to a team who expects Brett Favre to continue producing in December.  Even if I somehow make it through this week, my Packers heavy team isn't going to produce well in week 17 now that Green Bay's playoff position is pretty much settled. 

And to be honest, I'd take more pleasure in a late season Brett Favre flameout than a fantasy playoff win.  I'll definitely be watching tonight, though. 
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 29, 2009, 08:31:52 pm
Is it just me, or in every TOUAMB fantasy sports league to date, one of the top seeds ends up getting knocked off early in the playoffs?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2009, 08:35:33 pm
Is it just me, or in every TOUAMB fantasy sports league to date, one of the top seeds ends up getting knocked off early in the playoffs?

I think you're right.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 04, 2010, 12:20:50 am
My best week of the season in the 3rd place game where I didn't even check my roster?

Of course.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 04, 2010, 01:01:21 am
woot, Viqueens!
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 04, 2010, 03:30:25 pm
Go .500 and you too might win a champeenship!  Congrats Tigers.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on January 04, 2010, 03:39:35 pm
As my final duty as Commissioner this year, it gives me great pleasure to award this laurel and hardy handshake to you, Thomas Tiger, in commemoration of your stirring playoff run and ensuing championship.  Congratulations!

I think this means you have to be Commissioner next season.

Does anybody want to do the playoff challenge thing the NFL has been advertising?
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 04, 2010, 05:10:18 pm
yeah sure.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: jaydub on January 04, 2010, 05:44:43 pm
*raises arm while head down and drooling on desk*
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: AugustWest on January 04, 2010, 06:11:57 pm
I'll play, but I can't log on at work.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 04, 2010, 09:23:13 pm
I suppose I am down, though that looked more complicated than my brain can handle at this moment.
Title: Re: NFL Fantasy League?
Post by: Lister on January 29, 2010, 05:21:23 am
Man.  That loss knocked me clean off the internets for a while.

-1 points from my previously-reliable kicker, whose name has now been stricken from my memory.

(OK, mainly I moved into a new house and got busy at work and stuff)