The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jay-ell on October 25, 2009, 03:41:05 pm

Title: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 25, 2009, 03:41:05 pm
Greetings, board regulars and newbies! I am your local Den Mother, co-founder and one of five admins on this board. I've seen a lot of new users who have come over from Assetbar who can't understand why we, the TOUAMBies, seem to have such a problem with what we (not-so-affectionately) refer to as "the assbar," so I'd like to take a moment and explain.

First, however, let me say that while we're not big fans of Assetbar in general, we welcome individual users with open arms. We're an established community here, and we all know each other already, but we're always happy to see new users who can contribute to our conversations. And though we've been accused (exclusively by trolls) of being intolerant of minority opinions, we do in fact have people of all political and philosophical persuasions here - devout religious adherents and atheists; liberals, conservatives, and libertarians; humanists, feminists, and objectivists, to name a few. We love spirited debate, and remain one of the last remaining places where you can blow a whole afternoon arguing with people on the internet with relative anonymity.

Still, we have a few prejudices. We tend not to like people who can't spell or use proper grammar. And we tend to be wary of anyone from Assetbar, which is probably unfair. By way of explanation, here's a bit about our history. I hope this makes sense to our newcomers.

Back in 2003, when the world was new, there was a message board called Dumbrella. On this board was an Achewood fora, and Onstad himself was the moderator. The board regulars - including myself and some others who are still active here - became friends and started occasionally drifting off-topic. (OK, more than occasionally.) Additionally, while we were all drawn together by a mutual love of Achewood, we more often than not disagreed (and still usually do) about which strips were good, and which ones were "meh." Onstad, working hard on launching his career as an artist (the comic was not quite two years old at the time), abruptly and unceremoniously decided to close down the board. Our Fearless Leader, Jough, generously volunteered to host a new board, and I was elected co-admin. We lived in relative peace and harmony until four years later, when Onstad decided to start AssetBar. We, the fans who have been there buying t-shirts and hoodies from the beginning, felt betrayed. And we passed that bitterness and betrayal on to you, the AssetBar user!

Hope this clears some things up for our newer members and guests. As an historian, I believe it's important that we all know our message-board heritage.  :D
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 25, 2009, 05:47:50 pm
grassyass
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2009, 07:18:09 pm
If you genuinely wanna interact in an awesome way with people who are too internet-old for flame wars and board wars and other such, a retirement home for message-board veterans, welcome aboard!

If you are a troller just pretending to want that to get initial benefit-of-the-doubt, good riddance and try to not suck any dick on the way out to the parking lot.

(note: I was not actually around here from the Dumbrella days but I have been through a few similar places with similar cycles and, to quote one of the sages, "I've been around this track a couple of times and now the dust in startin' to clear".)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 25, 2009, 08:00:48 pm
Thanks, jay-ell!  Glad to know how this came to be; also glad to be one of the good ones from Assetbar.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on October 25, 2009, 09:11:51 pm
We lived in relative peace and harmony until four years later, when Onstad decided to start AssetBar. We, the fans who have been there buying t-shirts and hoodies from the beginning, felt betrayed. And we passed that bitterness and betrayal on to you, the AssetBar user!
OK. This is kind of helpful. I mean, it clears up more than the brief, daddy issue-ridden Asherdan version (not that I didn't enjoy that one, too). But I still don't understand this "betrayal" business. It would be understandable to feel betrayed when he closed down Dumbrella. But after that you dusted yourselves off and got this going and everything was fine. Why would his starting another one a few years later count as a betrayal? I mean, if things were so good here, why would you even care? It just smacks of insecurity masquerading as superiority, is all. I'm sure it feels good to know that you were there from the start and there is something to be said for that, but newcomers are every bit as essential to the ecosystem. I mean, if not for "newbies" like me (constant reader since July '07) filing in, what would be his incentive for even continuing the strip? He's not gonna keep pumping it out just so the OGs have something to chuckle over. It's a business that must expand to continue and we are integral to that.

OK. I'm not going to get all huffy over this. I see what you're saying. Just know that if there is strife between the boards, we, the assetbarbarians, are not the authors.

P.S. Our spelling and grammar are just fine. If there wasn't an edit function here there would be just as many flubs as there are on the 'bar.

P.P.S. Just an aside - jay-ell, if that was you who reposted this over on assetbar, I would advise you to not list yourself as an "old female," even if you happen to be one. That is the default setting and when old school 'barbarians see that we immediately assume that a troll is behind it. I know you don't spend much time over there, but if you ever post there again be advised.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on October 25, 2009, 09:28:33 pm
....I would advise you to not list yourself as an "old female," even if you happen to be one.
And a quick scan of your profile shows me that you aren't an old female anyway, so it really makes no sense.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 25, 2009, 10:09:07 pm
OK. This is kind of helpful. I mean, it clears up more than the brief, daddy issue-ridden Asherdan version (not that I didn't enjoy that one, too). But I still don't understand this "betrayal" business.

Truth be told, I don't see it either. The man provides free content on his own schedule. Some of that free content (feedback) was being taken away. It was provided elsewhere on someone else's dime. That's like getting spiteful because the McRib went away and you went and got a Krusty McRibwich and then the McRib came back too.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 25, 2009, 10:13:53 pm
Well, I am female, and old by internet standards. But I don't visit Assetbar, pretty much ever. Some of our members do, but I'm hardly ever even here, let alone anywhere else. So it definitely wasn't me that reposted, but now I'm curious as to who did. Anyone care to 'fess up?

Regardless, the "betrayal" comes from the feeling that Onstad threw us out because he didn't want to moderate a message board, and then, a short while later, decided that message boards fuel sales, so instead of coming to us, the established fan base (and, pre-assetbar, the only Achewood board on the 'net), he started something that would directly compete.

It's like a kid who threatens to take his toys and go home, and then you find out later that when he did leave in a huff, he went over to some other kid's house to play, instead. It's not the other kid's fault, but for some reason, the other kid is the one we blame - not the brat who wouldn't share his toys in the first place.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 25, 2009, 10:19:28 pm

Regardless, the "betrayal" comes from the feeling that Onstad threw us out because he didn't want to moderate a message board, and then, a short while later, decided that message boards fuel sales, so instead of coming to us, the established fan base (and, pre-assetbar, the only Achewood board on the 'net), he started something that would directly compete.


This is the part that I don't get. Directly compete? With what? No one in TOUAMB sells achewood merchandise. Onstad does. More participation on TOUAMB doesn't bring Onstad money in a direct, measurable manner. Assetbar does. There is no opportunity cost to be members of both. In fact, there is no cost whatsoever.

So where is this competition? You're talking about a group of people that can use two free services about a free webcomic.

More importantly, if message boards fuel sales, and there's bitterness about the messageboard thing, don't buy anything. If you are going to buy from him no matter where he sticks his message board, then you have explained to yourself why he didn't "come to you, the established fan base": because you were already solid customers and he was looking to expand to a different audience of people. Pandering to the base only works in politics. Business requires compromise and expansion.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 25, 2009, 10:33:37 pm
No, we're talking about something like two people who are having a party on the same night. That kind of competition.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 25, 2009, 10:49:14 pm
No, we're talking about something like two people who are having a party on the same night. That kind of competition.

So hit both parties. Hell, one of you technical folks can write something like what they use when someone wants to have a conversation on facebook AND twitter by cross-posting everything. The opportunity cost is low: you may spend five minutes here and five minutes there.

OR MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE A GRAND SUMMIT WITH SEVEN DAYS OF RITUAL
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2009, 10:57:28 pm
There's something distinctly creepy about a dude throwing a hissy-fit because people have constructive criticism and don't always talk about him every little second... takes his ball and goes home... and pretty quickly, he's monetizing the ball and creating a place where the level of discourse is suspect at best, is crafted to squash nuanced critique and anything other than talking about him and the whole thing is remade into a transparent funnel toward merchandising sales.

Nothing illegal or necessarily unethical about that change but...

It's a bit fucked-up. At least a little mercenary, at least a little narcissistic. Especially from a dude who had been treating these guys like casual friends and equals on some level up to that point.

Had it been transactional from the start, the sense of betrayal might've been much less but... dude had been treating these fine folks like conversation partners for a while and then... nothing... and then an invitation to go to a new place and be treated like revenue streams.

I wasn't there but I can definitely see how that'd be messed-up and would sting in a more-than-superficial manner.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: dejavroom on October 25, 2009, 11:24:25 pm
There's something distinctly creepy about a dude throwing a hissy-fit because people have constructive criticism and don't always talk about him every little second... takes his ball and goes home... and pretty quickly, he's monetizing the ball and creating a place where the level of discourse is suspect at best, is crafted to squash nuanced critique and anything other than talking about him and the whole thing is remade into a transparent funnel toward merchandising sales.

Nothing illegal or necessarily unethical about that change but...

It's a bit fucked-up. At least a little mercenary, at least a little narcissistic. Especially from a dude who had been treating these guys like casual friends and equals on some level up to that point.

Had it been transactional from the start, the sense of betrayal might've been much less but... dude had been treating these fine folks like conversation partners for a while and then... nothing... and then an invitation to go to a new place and be treated like revenue streams.

I wasn't there but I can definitely see how that'd be messed-up and would sting in a more-than-superficial manner.

For the love of God and all His good creatures in the world, please shut the fuck up...
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2009, 11:29:54 pm
I'm just sayin', man. I think that's part of the resentment of the Assbar.

Your mileage may vary but that doesn't mean you gotta flip out on a dude.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 25, 2009, 11:50:48 pm
There's something distinctly creepy about a dude throwing a hissy-fit because people have constructive criticism and don't always talk about him every little second... takes his ball and goes home... and pretty quickly, he's monetizing the ball and creating a place where the level of discourse is suspect at best, is crafted to squash nuanced critique and anything other than talking about him and the whole thing is remade into a transparent funnel toward merchandising sales.

I had forgotten how LFM can just take a metaphor and run with it, run such as Forrest Gump would run if someone slipped methamphetamines into his box of chocolates, because you never know what you're going to get, when you start a metaphor with LFM around. You don't get that action on Facebook, that's for darn sure.

I say this with the greatest affection, LFM. I know it probably sounds like I'm being sarcastic, especially after 'vroom's comment, but I swear I am 100% sincere in saying that...it's not the most efficient way to make a point, but it sure is fun.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 26, 2009, 12:02:25 am
LFM, please, I don't want to become one of those people who is a bitch to people on the internet, so next time you have the urge to rant about Onstad's creative process or business model, do what deja says. Just think of something else to talk about.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 26, 2009, 12:13:35 am
I don't understand...not to jump in waters that might contain a shark, but it sounds to me that LFM was supporting and empathizing with why TOUAMB folk might feel resentment toward Assetbar.  Why is that a bad thing?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 26, 2009, 12:25:01 am
I miss the noobs that used to read the whole archives. Damn, I am becoming that person aren't I?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 26, 2009, 01:36:35 am
I miss the noobs that used to read the whole archives. Damn, I am becoming that person aren't I?
Heh...there are a LOOOOOOOT of archives.  I'm workin' through 'em fast as I can.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 26, 2009, 01:54:40 am
Also, what good is an archive when some threads are 5913513531 pages long (Today I'm gonna...) and therefore, context gathering is a PITA?


The fact is the very thing that lead most of the people here to form this board (the tendency to wander off topic, often in non-Euclidean directions) is the same thing that presents a barrier to entrance for new users.

The standard LURK MOAR methodology only goes so far.

Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2009, 02:19:04 am
I'm here for the rituals.  Where's my gown?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: oball on October 26, 2009, 02:39:36 am
And here I just thought we hated AssBar because they suck dicks in the main
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on October 26, 2009, 02:44:12 am
I'm uncomfortable with just how much air time assetbar has had around the ranch lately.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 26, 2009, 03:16:10 am
There's something distinctly creepy about a dude throwing a hissy-fit because people have constructive criticism and don't always talk about him every little second... takes his ball and goes home... and pretty quickly, he's monetizing the ball and creating a place where the level of discourse is suspect at best, is crafted to squash nuanced critique and anything other than talking about him and the whole thing is remade into a transparent funnel toward merchandising sales.

Nothing illegal or necessarily unethical about that change but...

It's a bit fucked-up. At least a little mercenary, at least a little narcissistic. Especially from a dude who had been treating these guys like casual friends and equals on some level up to that point.

Had it been transactional from the start, the sense of betrayal might've been much less but... dude had been treating these fine folks like conversation partners for a while and then... nothing... and then an invitation to go to a new place and be treated like revenue streams.

I wasn't there but I can definitely see how that'd be messed-up and would sting in a more-than-superficial manner.
Dude, there is just no two ways about this: you are full of it regarding this subject. I'm pretty sure that some form of a premium service existed before assetbar and that assetbar existed for a good while before the current premium service. Furthermore, the free assetbar (so far as I know) has nothing to do with assetbar on the premium service other than that assetbar is something that is made available to both paid and unpaid readers. Your previous implication that the main assetbar was shutdown in order to herd assetbarrians into the premium service is evidently wrong.

There's no reason to view Onstad's various money-making endeavors as tainting the reader-creator relationship. It's not as if he's a friend of your springing a multi-level marketing presentation on you during a dinner party.

Signed,
A dude who has only ever paid for a book and a bottle of hot sauce and who has spent a total of 5 minutes on the assbar.


Edit: You also seem to think that the fanflow is diverting quality and quantity from the main strip. This is why you feel betrayed, right? Well, the quality is just like, your opinion man. As to the quantity, I believe that strip production had already slowed to current levels pre-fanflow. I suspect the fanflow really just redirected efforts from side-work like the blogs. You may have started reading when the blogs were in full swing and thus feel more entitled to that type of content.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 26, 2009, 03:27:32 am
Dude, there is just no two ways about this: you are full of it regarding this subject. I'm pretty sure that some form of a premium service existed before assetbar and that assetbar existed for a good while before the current premium service. Furthermore, the free assetbar (so far as I know) has nothing to do with assetbar on the premium service other than that assetbar is something that is made available to both paid and unpaid readers. Your previous implication that the main assetbar was shutdown in order to herd assetbarrians into the premium service is evidently wrong.

There's no reason to view Onstad's various money-making endeavors as tainting the reader-creator relationship. It's not as if he's a friend of your springing a multi-level marketing presentation on you during a dinner party.

Signed,
A dude who has only ever paid for a book and a bottle of hot sauce.

This.

Onstad is the bartender. You are in his bar. You may be drinking nothing but tap water and that's fine, but don't expect to be given priority over the people slinging back top shelf liquor.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 26, 2009, 03:33:24 am
There's no reason to view Onstad's various money-making endeavors as tainting the reader-creator relationship. It's not as if he's a friend of your springing a multi-level marketing presentation on you during a dinner party.

Signed,
A dude who has only ever paid for a book and a bottle of hot sauce and who has spent a total of 5 minutes on the assbar.
How was the hot sauce?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 26, 2009, 03:35:30 am
It was a gift. My only interaction with it involved my cousin declaring to the assembled partygoers that there was a cat wearing a codpiece on the label. I do not think that Ray wears a codpiece, but I don't think that I made a stink. He is a fan, but apparently we have different ideas about what the characters wear.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 26, 2009, 03:36:32 am
Can we not do this here? I started this thread to explain to some of the newer members why some of us old-guard have some hostility towards Onstad and AssetBar.

If you aren't one of the people who shares this particular opinion, I'm SO happy for you I could piss myself with glee. And if you are, please realize that we (and I include myself here) are behaving irrationally and really should be over it, since it happened six years ago and doesn't actually matter.

Now shut up about it before I delete every post except the first and lock the thread. I'm getting too old and too cranky for this gig.

Additionally: How was the hot sauce? Nevermind.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Doc on October 26, 2009, 08:14:50 am
Well, if nothing else, it demonstrates to the nice new people that we are perfectly capable of being hostile to our own so people don't feel persectued. You should never be a dick to a stranger, but being a dick to your friends is usually ok.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 26, 2009, 12:55:20 pm
I like the hot sauce. It is flavorful but not super-hot.

Also, where is the admin function to give Doc a thousand cans?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 26, 2009, 12:58:22 pm
If you click on his profile, there are super-secret options along the bottom of the left-hand nav bar. ;)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on October 26, 2009, 01:34:29 pm
Signal [................|.....] Noise
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on October 26, 2009, 10:24:44 pm
So it definitely wasn't me that reposted, but now I'm curious as to who did. Anyone care to 'fess up?
Do you really have to ask?

Starts with "A," ends with "U."

Ring any bells?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 27, 2009, 12:06:24 am
Do you really have to ask?

Starts with "A," ends with "U."

Ring any bells?

The periodic table element Gold? I knew once he was in demand he would go mad with power.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TripperDay on October 27, 2009, 02:58:10 pm
We tend not to like people who can't spell or use proper grammar.

...

On this board was an Achewood fora...



heh
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 27, 2009, 04:01:32 pm
See, the thing with that is, it was intended for readers of THIS board, where the use of the word "fora" is sort of a Thing.

An in-joke, if you will.

I guess you guys just don't get my sense of humor.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 27, 2009, 04:38:53 pm
See, the thing with that is, it was intended for readers of THIS board, where the use of the word "fora" is sort of a Thing.

An in-joke, if you will.

I guess you guys just don't get my sense of humor.

I've seen more skillful backpedaling in the Unicyclists for Cerebral Palsy benefit event.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2009, 04:51:25 pm
Here's what I always wonder. Most of us, in real life, have some sense of how social groups work. Some are better at it than others, some are more intuitive and some more conscious about it. But most of us know that if we, say, move to a new school, that these groups already exist, that their dynamics can be subtle, that the people in them have a history, and that the process of becoming part of one can be complicated. That just crashing the lunch table of the popular kids shouting "hey I'm new look at me" and throwing food is not usually the best strategy.

But, there are also always some kids who don't get it, who do exactly that, and who keep tagging along trying to be friends with people who are clearly not reacting positively to the idea. You know the kind of kid I mean. If you're watching from outside it's the saddest thing. If you're part of the group it's inexplicable and annoying.

Are the people who act that way on the Internet the same ones who act that way in real life? Or are they people who would do fine on the playground but don't understand that the dynamics online are exactly the same?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 27, 2009, 05:17:45 pm
I've seen more skillful backpedaling in the Unicyclists for Cerebral Palsy benefit event.

Okay, so what if I just admitted that I typed "fora" by mistake/out of habit and failed to proofread my post because I had a crying baby who needed my attention and a preschooler spreading peanut butter on the kitchen floor?

Would that be an acceptable excuse for making an error?

Really, really don't push me today. I am in a shitty mood for reasons that have nothing to do with anything here, but this shit isn't helping and I am half tempted to just delete the whole board at this point.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 27, 2009, 05:25:14 pm
Are the people who act that way on the Internet the same ones who act that way in real life? Or are they people who would do fine on the playground but don't understand that the dynamics online are exactly the same?

i think this comes from feeling powerless IRL.  the classic nerd/socially alienated person struggle?[[shrug]]  a person may feel that the anonymity of the internet is like an invisible cloak of power.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on October 27, 2009, 05:26:01 pm
I've seen more skillful backpedaling in the Unicyclists for Cerebral Palsy benefit event.

God DAMNIT, I showed you those pictures because it was my celebration of LIFE...
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2009, 05:29:26 pm
Really, really don't push me today. I am in a shitty mood for reasons that have nothing to do with anything here, but this shit isn't helping and I am half tempted to just delete the whole board at this point.

No! Not when I just figured out how to edit the News Box!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on October 27, 2009, 05:29:41 pm
Are the people who act that way on the Internet the same ones who act that way in real life? Or are they people who would do fine on the playground but don't understand that the dynamics online are exactly the same?

I think on some level I am the kind of person Buffy comported themselves as in his last screed.   But god damn it, the internet just doesn't need another performance artist.

Take that shit to the park or some installation some where you can be gawked at and nodded at approvingly by tweedy people who paid admission.

Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Choop on October 27, 2009, 05:32:30 pm
or, you know, to 4chan
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2009, 05:42:05 pm
Things are getting better already.  TOUAMB.  Now with relevant news feed.

I'd give you another can Wombat, but It hasn't been an hour since I gave you one for that google voice thing you wrote.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 27, 2009, 05:44:27 pm
or, you know, to 4chan

that place got overrun by a bunch of punks, I don't think Buffy deserves that fate
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2009, 05:47:38 pm
Things are getting better already.  TOUAMB.  Now with relevant news feed.

I'd give you another can Wombat, but It hasn't been an hour since I gave you one for that google voice thing you wrote.

I also found out that I can edit my own number of cans. But that would be wrong.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2009, 05:55:58 pm
I also found out that I can edit my own number of cans. But that would be wrong.

That would be very wrong.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: dejavroom on October 27, 2009, 06:01:56 pm
Oh I can edit your cans too, Wombat. It only takes a wee bit longer. But I. Can. Edit. Your. Cans.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2009, 06:07:44 pm
Hey Dj, I just edited your cans.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2009, 06:08:35 pm
Paul, you can edit my cans any time.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: dejavroom on October 27, 2009, 06:23:37 pm
(http://23.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ks6r2p0Z8b1qzryvmo1_250.jpg)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jaydub on October 27, 2009, 06:25:55 pm
My God, I love our News Box now!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 27, 2009, 06:27:42 pm
My God, I love our News Box now!
Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on October 27, 2009, 06:29:26 pm
To be fair, it's never really only occasionally been populated by up to date information.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2009, 06:30:44 pm
Paul, you can edit my cans any time.

I still have to wait an hour, but that fits with the innuendo.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jaydub on October 27, 2009, 06:32:15 pm
Are Jough's misanthropic updates still in there?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2009, 07:51:42 pm
No! Not when I just figured out how to edit the News Box!

OH HELL AND DAMN YES!!!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on October 27, 2009, 08:48:35 pm
My God, I love our News Box now!
I NOTICE THE NEWS BOX.  Hence my post of a week ago asking how to change the news box.  (I actually wanted to give a TIP to change the news box!)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2009, 09:07:48 pm
Meanwhile the newsbox is still showing the same 4 year old messages.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2009, 09:09:37 pm
You're not refreshing often enough.

We have to leave some of them up in Jough's memory, don't you think?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Mr Trout on October 28, 2009, 01:14:07 am
We have to leave some of them up in Jough's memory, don't you think?

You took out my favorite one about embryos becoming a dude if they are awesome enough. Though I suppose that was more of a Jough joke than a Wombat one.

I do appreciate the lines copied from the Achewood twitter though. I don't use twitter so it makes me feel like I'm still keeping up with it.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 28, 2009, 02:40:16 am
I really enjoyed deleting that one, including dreaming of Jough coming back and yelling at me for it.  You know me, I still kind of miss Onstad shouting at us and locking threads.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on October 28, 2009, 02:57:25 am
Wombat is the poster child for Stockholm Syndrome.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on October 28, 2009, 03:00:10 am
It is how he showed that he cared!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2009, 04:19:06 am
That would have been the only one I would have kept.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Ben-San on October 28, 2009, 06:36:49 am
I just want you all to know that anyone who got there before me is a hidebound asshole, anyone who got there after me is a fumbling novice, and this applies for all values of "there".
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Doc on October 28, 2009, 07:04:24 am
a hidebound asshole

I like this oncept. But then, there's a lot I like in this thread.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 02, 2009, 07:17:19 pm
I always thought the AssBar thing was officially sanctioned because the AssetBar favicon was an arse with the word ‘bar’ under it. But looking closer, that icon is some citrus bollocks. Silly me.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 04, 2009, 08:34:04 pm
It seems I picked a rather inopportune time to quit lurking.   And I've been lurking since Old Times.  All it took was that Millionaire strip to push me over the edge, but now I'm gonna creep back into the shadows.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: side_show on November 04, 2009, 08:35:40 pm
We all lurk in the shadows here.  It's more about whether you choose to make grunting noises or not.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2009, 08:36:23 pm
Oh, that is the saddest thing. Poor Ted!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 04, 2009, 09:25:39 pm
Oh, that is the saddest thing. Poor Ted!

I see that the hazing policy has become somewhat lax.

For what it's worth, the thing that's always attracted me to TOUAMB as opposed to any other venue for Achewood discussion is the level of understanding of the characters that the posters here have.  What has always set Achewood apart from other webcomincs is the dedication to character, ahead of even story or (obviously) frequency of new content.  I'm down with anybody who gets that.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2009, 09:32:27 pm
My assumption has always been that we have insight into fictional characters because we are probably all fictional characters ourselves.

Don't be too sure about the hazing, though. I am the one who plays a character that isn't mean to people, here.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jaydub on November 04, 2009, 10:22:32 pm
Time to take the pugs for a walk, my dear Wombat.  They're looking rather sloth like.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Choop on November 04, 2009, 10:31:36 pm
I see that the hazing policy has become somewhat lax.

Surely, you can't be serious.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on November 04, 2009, 10:32:18 pm
Yesssssss
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2009, 11:33:45 pm
Time to take the pugs for a walk, my dear Wombat.  They're looking rather sloth like.

Someone finally noticed!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 12:02:03 am
We have to leave some of them up in Jough's memory, don't you think?
What happened to Jough? Is he still around?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: wombat on November 05, 2009, 12:06:37 am
Who wants to make up a good story to answer that?

But really, he Got A Life. We know this because we can still keep track of it elsewhere on the Internet.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2009, 12:08:08 am
Someone finally noticed!

I noticed to. I figured you switched in honor of the previously mentioned date.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on November 05, 2009, 12:49:31 am
What happened to Jough? Is he still around?

I talked to him a couple of days ago. He and His Girl are taking the cohabitation plunge. I guess it's extraordinarily serious, and I'm extraordinarily happy for him.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 03:21:35 am
I talked to him a couple of days ago. He and His Girl are taking the cohabitation plunge. I guess it's extraordinarily serious, and I'm extraordinarily happy for him.
The only thing I've had a chance to read about him in the archives thus far was from ought-six, about needing to lose a significant amount of weight.  Has that journey been a positive one for him?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 05, 2009, 03:24:58 am
I saw him back in September, and he has lost hella weight.  Looking good.  Andrea was mighty nice as well, they seem a good match.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: AugustWest on November 05, 2009, 04:24:41 am
It seems I picked a rather inopportune time looks like I picked a bad week to quit lurking.   

FTFY
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 05, 2009, 06:03:56 am
I talked to him a couple of days ago. He and His Girl are taking the cohabitation plunge. I guess it's extraordinarily serious, and I'm extraordinarily happy for him.

His gal pal is extraordinarily cute too.  I'm happy for him the bastard.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Doc on November 05, 2009, 06:44:48 am
You seem like a good newb Striker and we need those so just ride out the hazing and you'll be fine. Good luck, we're all counting on you.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 05, 2009, 06:48:06 am
It seems I picked a rather inopportune time to quit lurking.   And I've been lurking since Old Times.  All it took was that Millionaire strip to push me over the edge, but now I'm gonna creep back into the shadows.
My name is A-CAP do you want to be friends?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 05, 2009, 04:03:11 pm
Thanks all.  Since this isn't my first rodeo,  I'll gladly abide by the newb rules until an adequate trust has been accumulated.  So long as no one calls me Shirley.

Surely, you can't be serious.

Damn. It.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 04:09:33 pm
Thanks all.  Since this isn't my first rodeo,  I'll gladly abide by the newb rules until an adequate trust has been accumulated.  So long as no one calls me Shirley.

Where ya from?  Despite initial appearances, not all of us are from Australia or St. Louis.  I'm in the beautiful and vivacious Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 05, 2009, 04:18:09 pm
Where ya from?  Despite initial appearances, not all of us are from Australia or St. Louis.  I'm in the beautiful and vivacious Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area.

Sunny and cheerful (at least today) Houston.  I know, I know.  Everyone thinks of such as oil and cowboys and Enrons, but I prefer the amazing restaurants, genuinely friendly people and mild winters part.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on November 05, 2009, 04:21:27 pm
Thanks all.  Since this isn't my first rodeo,  I'll gladly abide by the newb rules until an adequate trust has been accumulated.
[hot, wet, newb-on-newb hazing]Well, you sure know how to lightly tippy toe into a fake social situation, you completely inoffensive bastard, you.[/hot, wet, newb-on-newb hazing]
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 04:33:53 pm
[hot, wet, newb-on-newb hazing]Well, you sure know how to lightly tippy toe into a fake social situation, you completely inoffensive bastard, you.[/hot, wet, newb-on-newb hazing]

Oooooh, rowboat, I'm giving you a hot, wet tiny can for that.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: dejavroom on November 05, 2009, 04:36:52 pm
Gentle[wo?]men, if you're serious about it, there's only one way to set your differences straight in touamb:
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 05, 2009, 04:39:26 pm
Gentlemen, if you're serious about it, there's only one way to set your differences straight in touamb:

Mortal Kombat?  Healing Power of Laughter-Off?  Jello Wrestling?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 04:41:25 pm
Mortal Kombat?  Healing Power of Laughter-Off?  Jello Wrestling?
Thumb wrestling?  Bowl-a-thon?  Dueling banjos???
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: R2DTrousers on November 05, 2009, 04:42:12 pm
A little thing we like to call ***** ##### wrestling.

(btw, this topic has 150 thousand views due to Mr. Wonderful. Hope the bandwidth isnt gonna cost anybody money)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: dejavroom on November 05, 2009, 04:44:35 pm
either that or rap battle

bap rattles are also acceptable if you rattle them menacingly enough (and are British, otherwise what are you doing with a bap?)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on November 05, 2009, 05:20:00 pm
Wh-wh-what, what?

Hey hey, my name is rowboat and I'm fresh and I'm clean,
I betcha tedstriker doesn't know what that means!
You know he means to take a bath but he always forgets,
lives his life under a haze of brain damage and ass sweat!

Yeeeeeah, motherfuckers. Rowboat takes showers regularly, unlike tedstriker. Word is bond, son.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 05, 2009, 05:39:38 pm
/adjusts bowtie

I'm the smooth actor from way down South
Make the ladies weak with the words from my mouth
Been schoolin' fools since Fresh Prince days
Make their weak backs crack like Frito Lays
I keep going and I never quit
Make rowboats sink, people screaming OH SHIIIIIIT!

Straight outta tha cockpit, muthafucka.


/drops mic
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: side_show on November 05, 2009, 05:42:25 pm
Holy shit.  Where have you kids been?  Welcome.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 05:43:53 pm
/adjusts bowtie

I'm the smooth actor from way down South
Make the ladies weak with the words from my mouth
Been schoolin' fools since Fresh Prince days
Make their weak backs crack like Frito Lays
I keep going and I never quit
Make rowboats sink, people screaming OH SHIIIIIIT!

Straight outta tha cockpit, muthafucka.


/drops mic

Ted FTW. 
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: dejavroom on November 05, 2009, 05:49:56 pm
With the formalities out of the way, I bid you both welcome. Let abuse pour forth like manna from heaven.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on November 05, 2009, 05:54:07 pm
Yeah. I'll cede this one. I was about halfway through a response, but it was getting nasty and I was kind of starting to creep myself out with it.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 05, 2009, 06:15:36 pm
Yeah. I'll cede this one. I was about halfway through a response, but it was getting nasty and I was kind of starting to creep myself out with it.

You kiss my mother with that mouth?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: jay-ell on November 05, 2009, 06:29:27 pm
We haven't had newbies this good in years.

Welcome aboard, party people. Cans all around.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 05, 2009, 08:19:21 pm
Ted FTW. 


A CHALLENGER ENTERS!

It's Bobby Isosceles, who's schoolin' y'all like Socrates
He kills more fools with his rhymes than at forty-five Thermopylaes
You neophytes are greener and more bitter than some broccoli
When you claim to fame is laid low, cause you know there ain't no toppin' me

Pop and see! You can't stop, just like a can of Pringles
My rhyming words burn your nerves like you've got a case of shingles
Zoster la vista, bay-bee, I put a pox on both your houses
Then I made you all my bitch so hard you're swearing you're my spouses

But if you want to fight with the inevitable master
Disaster? Maybe, but it makes the time go faster
To watch you try your homemade lines against the ill inventor
Only to leave you bruised and bloodier than giraffe placenta

I'm a yenta, that's right, I'm the lyrical matchmaker
This dude, Defeat, you've got to meet, so do I have a taker?
Against my rhymes so wholesome and thick like oats by Quaker?
Go find your muse, you'll still lose, cause I'll find the bitch and break her





Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: rowboat on November 05, 2009, 08:42:43 pm
Um....Bobby Isosceles is....gay.
When Bobby Isosceles asks to kiss me I say....uh....oh, yeah - NO WAY!

Uuuuh-huuuuh. You can't front on that!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 05, 2009, 08:45:47 pm
My rhyming words burn your nerves like you've got a case of shingles
Zoster la vista, bay-bee, I put a pox on both your houses

Oh yeah, hardcore disease breakdowns.  Niiice.  :)
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 05, 2009, 08:46:19 pm
Um....Bobby Isosceles is....gay.
When Bobby Isosceles asks to kiss me I say....uh....oh, yeah - NO WAY!

Uuuuh-huuuuh. You can't front on that!


canned for brilliance

no homo
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: side_show on November 05, 2009, 08:52:09 pm
no homo, no cry?
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 05, 2009, 10:02:48 pm
B.I. sells mixtapes on The Corner.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 05, 2009, 11:58:30 pm
B.I. sells mixtapes on The Corner.

We gonna team up on this or what? Sugar Hill Gang ain't got nothing on AGH MY SCIATICA
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2009, 08:13:08 pm
Sunny and cheerful (at least today) Houston.  I know, I know.  Everyone thinks of such as oil and cowboys and Enrons, but I prefer the amazing restaurants, genuinely friendly people and mild winters part.

HOUSTON!!  After all this time we finally got another Houstonian in here!!!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TedStriker on November 06, 2009, 08:56:22 pm
Word.  Let the reign of taquerias, sports teams just good enough to disappoint, and armor-piercing mosquitoes begin posthaste!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Troy_Convers on November 06, 2009, 11:33:23 pm
So hit both parties. Hell, one of you technical folks can write something like what they use when someone wants to have a conversation on facebook AND twitter by cross-posting everything. The opportunity cost is low: you may spend five minutes here and five minutes there.


Damn straight. I've been living in the AssetBario for years and I really don't see the problem here; we're all (OK, mostly) looking at you guys and thinking: "Huh?"
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: AugustWest on November 06, 2009, 11:36:24 pm
...we're all (OK, mostly) looking at you guys and thinking: "Huh?"

Exactly.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: fanta on July 28, 2010, 07:13:49 am
hey Asherdan they still remember you on assetbar....

sherief » neu 13 hours ago
Quote
So right about now we should all be experiencing the taste of a metaphorical sweaty old dick in our mouths.
reply :: Comment rated 0 Chubbies and 0 Lames (marked as spam 0 times)
Rate this Comment: Chubby Lame Mark as Spam *Ignore User*


plummet  » neu  16 minutes ago
Quote
Tastes like Asherdan
reply :: Comment rated 0 Chubbies and 0 Lames (marked as spam 0 times)
Rate this Comment: Chubby Lame Mark as Spam *Ignore User* [unread]

Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: smick on July 28, 2010, 06:16:45 pm
That indicates the training has found purchase.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: fanta on July 29, 2010, 06:08:37 am
 cailetshadow  » neu  11 hours ago
I've been thinking for a few weeks now that this arc seems to have been designed from the bottom up (heyo) for [Asherdan]. In fact it almost seems like a total vindication of his uncomfortable rantings.
reply :: Comment rated 0 Chubbies and 0 Lames (marked as spam 0 times)
Rate this Comment: Chubby Lame Mark as Spam *Ignore User* [unread]
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: lprkn on July 29, 2010, 03:34:13 pm
That indicates the training has found purchase.

Pain retains.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: TripperDay on September 16, 2010, 04:50:46 pm
Mainly on the plain.
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2010, 04:54:38 pm
Vindicated over time...

First the assbar comes around to my view on things, next THE WORLD!

Can!
Title: Re: On the topic of Assetbar...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 04, 2010, 06:43:49 pm
I've never really been able to brave that stage after the first week or two of it.