The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2009, 02:30:04 pm
-
Because love is better than hate...
Post the songs that really mean the most to you. The songs that never get old no matter how many times you've heard them.
For me, most of The Beatles and Paul Simon fit that bill.
The Boxer chokes me up nearly every time. Whenever he sings the line "and he carries the reminder of every glove that's laid him low or cut him til he's cried out in his anger and his shame..."
Hell, I got a little choked up just typing that. So beautiful.
Add to the list America, American Tune, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, and Tenderness and I'll be a blubbering mess by the end of it.
The Beatles don't choke me up so much as simply fill me with joy.
Let it Be is such a simple yet elegant plea for peace. And the melody just soars. I can never hear that song too many times.
I could go on, but I think I'll stop there.
-
The first one that springs to mind is All for Swinging You Around by The New Pornographers. It's just so damned cheery that I always like when it comes on even when I'm in a shitty mood.
-
The Boxer chokes me up nearly every time. Whenever he sings the line "and he carries the reminder of every glove that's laid him low or cut him til he's cried out in his anger and his shame..."
Hell yeah. I forgot how good that is too.
Ditto what Cort says and also the other one with the lyrics "listening too long to one song" which I can listen to over and over.
-
Opeth - The Drapery Falls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfslLWySZYg)
Always sends shivers down my spine. This is the song I want played at my funeral.
-
Ditto what Cort says and also the other one with the lyrics "listening too long to one song" which I can listen to over and over.
That would be "Sing Me Spanish Techno." Good choice.
Iron & Wine's version of "Such Great Heights" is pretty much the most beautiful song recorded, ever. That is my oldest daughter's song, and Barenaked Ladies' (that's right, haters) cover of the Carpenters' "Close to You" belongs to my youngest.
-
Closer to Fine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1Bl4nfpdA) by the Indigo Girls has seen me through many dark days.
-
Pretty much all of The Band and Music from the Big Pink.
-
- Jeff Buckley, "Lover You Should Have Come Over"
- Halloween Alaska, "Drown"
- Bon Iver, "Flume"
- The Who, "Eminence Front" (I have no idea why, I just love it)
- Paulo Nutini, "Last Request"
- The entire Black Keys oeuvre
-
I know I've said it so many times before, but "Hey Jude" is it for me. I have wept to that song, found solace in it, found meaning in it, figured out a better way to be by it, and keep finding new things every time I listen to it.
Hey Jude
Hey Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better
Hey Jude, don't be afraid
You were made to go out and get her
The minute you let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it better
And anytime you feel the pain
Hey Jude refrain
don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool
who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder
Na na na na na
na na na na
Hey Jude don't let me down
You have found her, now go and get her
Remember to let her into your heart
then you can start to make it better
So let it out and let it in
Hey Jude begin
You're waiting for someone to perform with
And don't you know that it's just you
Hey Jude, you'll do
The movement you need is on your shoulder
Na na na na na
na na na na yeah
Hey Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it better
Better, better, better, better, better, oh
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na, hey Jude
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na, hey Jude
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na, hey Jude
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na, hey Jude
Jude Jude a Judy Judy Judy Judy, ow
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na, Hey Jude
(Jude Jude Jude Jude Jude)
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na na, Hey Jude
(Hey Jude Hey Jude)
na na na na na na na
nananana hey jude
na na na na na na na
nananana hey jude
Na, na na na na na na
na na na na, hey Jude
na na na na, Hey Jude
I should note, there are times when I love the ending of the song, and times when I skip it. Sometimes I'm really feeling the joy of the "na na," other times, it's about taking "a sad song" and making it better.
-
(http://5.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kolo40SQZq1qzy3cwo1_r1_500.jpg) (http://loveallthis.tumblr.com/post/166124704)
it's wrong but it's fun and it reminds me of achewood
-
That's pretty awesome, Choop.
-
"Hey Jude" is it for me.
I just heard this on the radio this morning--and as I have done for the last 23 years, I changed the station. A friend of mine in high school and I used to sing this song together all the time. He killed himself at the end of that year. Still can't handle hearing it.
-
Closer to Fine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1Bl4nfpdA) by the Indigo Girls has seen me through many dark days.
I forgot how good this is.
-
The all time winner though is...
Suspicious Minds - The King
I can't not sing along.
Darn right. It's like "Sexual Healing" and "For What It's Worth", classics that MUST be sung along with.
-
One of you guys in the '04 CD exchange included a Neko Case version of Deep Red Bells. Good job on that one.
(raises hand) Yes I will take credit for that.
-
More links!
-
Tainted Love.
Can't even hate it after that commercial a few years ago. The one set in a hospital? What was that an ad for, anyway?
Oh yeah. Levi's Jeans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ne4X6ucn_Q).
Usually, commercials make songs worse. Not in this case - it speaks to the universal awesomeness of the song.
-
Like about a million other people, I would have never heard Nick Drake's Pink Moon if it weren't for this VW commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOW9fLT9eY). It's a lovely tune, and I'm glad to have found this song, regardless of context.
-
Hmm, this is always tough for me because I tend to find music I like and then listen to it until I'm completely sick of it. Then I can never remember the music that I used to love so dearly.
But a few songs that I can't seem to play out:
The Fall - Eat Y'self Fitter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3dWfKn_Lo&feature=related) : Said to be John Peel's favorite song, and probably mine as well. Well, maybe a tie between this and Spoilt Victorian Child (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQS6b1cVOo).
David Bowie - The Jean Genie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLXlI0kg53g) : I always have to put this song on the jukebox at a bar I frequent in Baltimore.
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTIpcwBTTs) : This song always brings a tear to my eye. It is also a fantastic song to drink whiskey to.
-
Like about a million other people, I would have never heard Nick Drake's Pink Moon if it weren't for this VW commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOW9fLT9eY). It's a lovely tune, and I'm glad to have found this song, regardless of context.
Me too! And all three of his albums are pretty much perfect (though Bryter Layter maybe a bit more perfect than the others). They are also great albums for road trips up the coast.
-
Darn right. It's like "Sexual Healing" and "For What It's Worth", classics that MUST be sung along with.
Sexual Healing, if played loudly enough in the car, tends to trick me into thinking I have an amazing singing voice when I sing along and makes me wonder why I haven't recorded anything yet. Then I just turn down the volume.
There are few things on earth more gorgeous than Marvin Gaye's voice.
-
The Fall - Eat Y'self Fitter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3dWfKn_Lo&feature=related) : Said to be John Peel's favorite song, and probably mine as well. Well, maybe a tie between this and Spoilt Victorian Child (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQS6b1cVOo).
Oh hells yes.
-
One of you guys in the '04 CD exchange included a Neko Case version of Deep Red Bells. Good job on that one.
I too was exposed to Neko Case by that same CD. It was Carlos I do believe.
(raises hand) Yes I will take credit for that.
Yep!
A live version of Deep Red Bells. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eboVW4SXZdQ)
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk1Fmzc-ykA) is another live version recorded by yours truly in Park City Utah a few years ago. I attended that show btw with none other than Miles from this board.
Yeah, that's an amazing song.
-
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk1Fmzc-ykA) is another live version recorded by yours truly in Park City Utah a few years ago. I attended that show btw with none other than Miles from this board.
Yeah, that's an amazing song.
Hey, I remember that. Didn't you grab the setlist?
She also has a tremendous voice. I can't decide whether I like it best when she sings Neko Case type songs or The New Pornographers type songs.
-
I didn't get the setlist
-
There are few things on earth more gorgeous than Marvin Gaye's voice.
If there was a church that based its entire liturgy and theology around What's Going On, I would totally join that church. "God Is Love" says more good things about Christianity than everything all TV preachers have ever said put together.
-
Paul do you know Eva Cassidy's recording of American Tune?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOSLgMZmp4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOSLgMZmp4)
-
Tainted Love.
Can't even hate it after that commercial a few years ago. The one set in a hospital? What was that an ad for, anyway?
Oh yeah. Levi's Jeans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ne4X6ucn_Q).
Usually, commercials make songs worse. Not in this case - it speaks to the universal awesomeness of the song.
That commercial was the first place I ever heard that song. I remember in high school we all decided that was basically the coolest commercial ever.
-
Paul do you know Eva Cassidy's recording of American Tune?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOSLgMZmp4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOSLgMZmp4)
I had not heard that version before. Have you heard Willie's version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_12lzRizYw)?
-
midlife crisis-faith no more
straight lines-silverchair
party hard-andrew wk
we want fun-andrew wk
come sail away-styx(fuck you, other peoples ears, im singing out like im gettig paid and getting laid.)
ape dos mil-glassjaw
california uber alles-dead kennedys
bales of cocaine-the reverend horton heat
ever loving fingers-os catalepticos
i believe i can fly-me first and the gimme gimmes
nothing compares 2 U-me first and the gimme gimmes
Tainted Love.
i dig mansons cover of that.
-
Two of my all times are
Brian Wilson - Barenaked ladies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMfneL5eU8A) (this is kind of an anaemic version actually but I can't find a better one).
Look for the Woman - Scroobius Pip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnKbdqjh2I)
Hey Jude is up there for me too, Life on Mars by Bowie. Plenty of others but they'll do for now.
-
Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet
Let Love Rule - Lenny Kravitz
Whiskey River - Willie Nelson
-
Rome Wasn't Built In A Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmognvrztU) isn't a "great" song, but it never fails to lift my spirits. Plus, the video basically says "Yes, you can enjoy music even if you look kind of goofy doing it. It's still okay."
Switching gears, Die Moldau (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmX4gSChJsc) is an amazing composition that tells a story without a single lyric. Time to re-buy that.
-
If we're going classical(ish) Danse Macabre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM) and Claire de Lune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2XzoA94Zws) are kind of cliched, but they're cliched because they are awesome. Even discovering Claire de Lune is on the Twilight soundtrack just now cannot lessen it for me.
-
All the 20 minute Pink Floyd songs, of course. Well, except Sisyphus.
-
midlife crisis-faith no more
straight lines-silverchair
party hard-andrew wk
we want fun-andrew wk
ape dos mil-glassjaw
california uber alles-dead kennedys
bales of cocaine-the reverend horton heat
ever loving fingers-os catalepticos
i believe i can fly-me first and the gimme gimmes
nothing compares 2 U-me first and the gimme gimmes
Dude, you gotta put those in our dropbox. Post-haste. Wait, you gave me Straight Lines already, so never mind that one. :)
-
As an unabashed romantic and the kind of guy who like the stuff that Springsteen writes about but can't get into him in particular, I present this:
Lucky You - The National (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcJgpv6S1c)
High & Lonesome - The Gaslight Anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ran45D_B7i0)
South Texas Girl - Lyle Lovett and His Large Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmnzwGT4Ic) (if anyone mentions Julia Roberts, we will have Words)
And for the other side of this Frosted Mini Wheat:
Downtown Man - Ethan Durelle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RltRb9aZxnI) (shitty crowd noise, sorry)
March Into The Sea - Pelican (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbV-3wvIJd0)
I Want You Back - The Jackson Five (best pop song ever, and I will fight to the death on this one. Find a flaw with it. I defy you.)
I could listen to any of these songs on an infinite loop.
Fixed to add links...except for Jackson Five, because you already know that one, don't you?
-
Radiohead's "Life In A Glass House". Humphrey Lyttelton's band has some amazing lines in this one. A friend who abhors Radiohead, whenever he hears this one, makes a point of saying how fuck*ng great the song is.
-
As an unabashed romantic and the kind of guy who like the stuff that Springsteen writes about but can't get into him in particular, I present this:
This intrigues me. I am saddened by the lack of links.
-
As an unabashed romantic and the kind of guy who like the stuff that Springsteen writes about but can't get into him in particular...
For that line alone, I bestow upon you your first can. I will give you a second when able, for "the other side of this Frosted Mini-Wheat".
-
Ahem.
-
This Ted, he is the kind of noob that we could use more of.
-
The National, who are these people, I have never heard of them before. They are right on the line between possibly really good and possibly really annoying. (One commentor: "Hearing this makes me want to push the next hipster I see on a fixed gear bike in front of a cab.") This is clearly deserving of further study.
-
Their last album "Boxer" made a lot of best-of-the-year lists at the end of last year. I picked it up from eMusic, and for about the first five listens, I didn't get it. Then suddenly it clicked, and I love them. This one here is probably my favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRsYkKb1eI
"You say you wouldnt' want an angel watching over you--surprise, surprise, they wouldn't want to watch."
Additional can to the new guy for mentioning The Gaslight Anthem.
-
Yes, they are proving to be worthy of further study as well.
-
I have talked about them here a lot. Alligator is their must have.
-
Ahem.
Gotcha covered, friend. Also: what's your vector, Victor?
-
This "Old White Lincoln" is very replayable. And oh look at these other videos, here they are with Bruce Springsteen.
It may not be a good thing that I have discovered this just when I actually have gotten some work to do.
-
My CDs got here today!
I'm going to sit in front of the stereo and listen to some music. I haven't done that since college.
-
This Ted, he is the kind of noob that we could use more of.
dear ted,
quit stealing all the attention, genitalhead.
-
for about the first five listens, I didn't get it. Then suddenly it clicked, and I love them.
I love it when that happens. I also love the part where you listen to it and it doesn't exactly click, but there is something compelling about it that keeps you interested so you listen again trying to put your finger on it.
-
I keep trying to figure out what songs are in this category for me, but I cannot think of them.
I think they are definitely songs that I forget about for a while and then come back to.
I am trying to think of songs that affect me emotionally, but those are all songs I can't listen to too often. I think.
If you look at my Most Played on iTunes, it's really random stuff, until you get to a big block of Johnny Cash and the Carter Family and John Fahey. I don't know. I don't listen to that stuff as much as I did a year or two ago.
I will keep thinking.
For some reason the song I keep wanting to say is Kiss Me on the Bus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwJNm7q2cs&NR=1) by the Replacements. This video is doofy, though.
Yesterday I listened to Minor Threat for the first time in like a year and was blown away at how good they are. But I don't think I could say I LOVE any minor threat song.
Whenever I am screwing up and stressed out I feel bad about myself and listen to this song (http://www.last.fm/music/Buster%2BCarter%2B%2526%2BPreston%2BYoung/_/A+Lazy+Farmer+Boy). I don't think I love it, but I am listening to it right now as I work on an assignment due yesterday.
-
I Want You Back - The Jackson Five (best pop song ever, and I will fight to the death on this one. Find a flaw with it. I defy you.)
I won't put up much of a fight. It's flawless. But it's gonna have some pretty tough competition in the "best pop song ever" battle. I mean, "Brown Eyed Girl" isn't even my favorite Van Morrison song, but it may be the most perfectly crafted pop song there is. You could basically stuff that into every time capsule buried from now on. All just a blank CD with the words "20th Century music" scrawled on it. I think that'd get the idea across.
-
The National, who are these people, I have never heard of them before. They are right on the line between possibly really good and possibly really annoying. (One commentor: "Hearing this makes me want to push the next hipster I see on a fixed gear bike in front of a cab.") This is clearly deserving of further study.
They're a band that is all about mood. There are times I'll go for days without listening to them, but then I'll be the right combination of melancholy and introspective, and at those times they're like a neat Scotch and a hug. If you're trying to figure them out further, check out the songs Fake Empire and Geese of Beverly Road.
-
The National are one of the bands who I consider to be "girlfriend bands," solely because I would never have heard of them if my girl hadn't brought an album of theirs home one day. She's a few years my junior, so this is often an eye-opening experience. Largest divide - she likes hipster dance music that I would generally prefer to shoot with a gun (the most notable exceptions being Hot Chip and, to a lesser extent, MGMT). Not saying I would lump The National into the hipster dance music category, but I'm still....suspicious of them.
That having been said, "Fake Empire" is pretty hot, at least until that asinine, "Hey everybody! Stop paying attention to the actual song and listen to me!!" drum beat kicks in. But come to think of it, that may be more the producer's fault.
-
Ooh, I gotta throw Doves' "Catch the Sun" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqlIFLb6jU0) out there.
-
freaks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB5mL8VkEsk)-os catalepticos
i dig how the drummer uses a traditional/stripped down/whatever sort of kit. despite the rip-shit speeds they play at, it sounds good sonically and its appropriate for their style.
actually, i couldnt find a video of my favorite song of theirs, but this is close enough.
-
Ooh, I gotta throw Doves' "Catch the Sun" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqlIFLb6jU0) out there.
I've been addicted to "Kingdom of Rust" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbK8kQW4LI) for many months. "There Goes The Fear" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZgBKVBduQg) and "The Cedar Room" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1VrdrZnheM) for the grand slam.
I also really liked "Kandi" by One Eskimo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUoNFnW0ZJE) until I started to do a little research and came across this song - "He Called Me Baby" by Candi Stanton (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cri481xXtlU). I still like the former but the latter is where it's at.
-
Porcupine Tree - Trains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQf_widpR2M)
Sigur Rós - Flugufrelsarinn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4dCatk3Eg)
Jesu - Silver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBs-cZs9m8U)
Also, my personal favourite Doves song is Words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaEWlYHrF6w).
-
Jesu - Silver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBs-cZs9m8U)
This.
-
Who dares speak ill of Soundgarden? For he shall be counted among the beasts of the desert. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B95xNr9IsMA)
I Can't Stand Myself - James Chance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKz9urG0aB8)
--------------
Shit, I gotta fuck with your heads. Some stuff from Brazil:
Los Hermanos - Os Pássaros (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBRFaia07s) - Lovely spaced out, jangly guitars in the bridge.
The guy's name is Cartola, he's been dead for years. People in high places think very highly of him. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLkgRX28D8)
CéU (I have no idea what's going on with the spelling) - Lenda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA6ome0TWd4).
-
Heart Cooks Brain -- Modest penis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qgEl4KWB4)
Not Given Lightly -- Chris Knox (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg5u_9NR_1U)
How We Used to Live -- Saint Etienne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA4RSOCDeZs)
Carry the Zero -- Built to Spill
-
Bon Iver: Flume (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62i9Sodwp5o) (recorded right at my hometown indie radio station) and Skinny Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdgFoHLwnk). These two songs make me want to kiss strangers and drink clouds and spin my flesh off in twirling rainbow ribbons. Please to enjoy.
-
Bon Iver: Flume (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62i9Sodwp5o) (recorded right at my hometown indie radio station) and Skinny Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdgFoHLwnk). These two songs make me want to kiss strangers and drink clouds and spin my flesh off in twirling rainbow ribbons. Please to enjoy.
I really love those two songs as well. The whole album is really great too.
I was just reminded home much I like Country Roads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN86d0CdgHQ) by John Denver. A friend of mine sang it at karaoke night last week and totally nailed it.
-
trout i think you're lucky your friend has a good voice. i've never been in such pain as listening to country roads butchered via karaoke
-
Tonight I am majorly grooving on everything by the Carter Family, as well as some John Fahey and Roscoe Holcomb. So damn good.
As someone who romanticizes the old America to a ridiculous degree, it really freaks me out. Think about how damn big this country was before interstates and passenger planes and radio stations.
Especially Mr. Holcomb, he really makes you realize that American folk music has really deep roots, and that the banjo is not a normal western instrument. It is such a weird sounding thing.
The more religiously-themed Carter Family songs really make me lose it.
But also the melody from "Black Jack David" is really fantastic. Like, so good.
We are doing an all-night radio broadcast, and I am about to suffer from an intense transition into hardcore punk and no-wave and stuff. We are playing 1 song from each year our station has existed.
-
You still learning the banjo, inev?
-
You still learning the banjo, inev?
I'm learning the mandolin and the mountain dulcimer, if "learning" equals "plucking away aimlessly and wishing I could download instructions into my brain 'Short Circuit' style".
-
I'm learning the mandolin and the mountain dulcimer, if "learning" equals "plucking away aimlessly and wishing I could download instructions into my brain 'Short Circuit' style".
(http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens2391821_1232826527the_matrix_movie_keanu_reeves_neo)
I know mandolin-fu.
I couldn't actually play a mandolin myself if my life literally depended on it.
-
I couldn't actually play a mandolin myself if my life literally depended on it.
Here's how lazy I am: I thought it would be way easier to play mandolin than guitar because you can make more two-fingered chords. Unfortunately, that is negated by tuning those tiny pairs of strings to each other! (also the sheer lack of actual two-fingered chords; I think there's like five in all. I WAS MISLED.)
-
Bag of Hammers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57OtoBN_Jig) by Thao with the Get Down Stay Down
I've only seen her live once but she seems to get that this is her most popular song thus the live version last like 7 minutes which getting jammy. I'm seeing her again tonight. Rock.
-
Three of the myriad tunes currently on the Convers playlist:
Mario Biondi - Just The Way You Are. The ghost of Barry White lives...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtedCEtNOY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtedCEtNOY)
China Moses - Mad About The Boy. If you've got the stones to cover a standard like this, you better come correct. She does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_eVQBN63U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_eVQBN63U)
The Isley Brothers - Between The Sheets. The ultimate shagging song. Full stop. To quote a comment someone said on 'Tube:
Oh i like the way u receive meeeeh..oohoooo... I love the way u relieeeeeve meeh....coming sooo stroooong.....in between the sheets......man Ronald really knows how to talk the P A N T S offa woman. I tried it too.. the bitch kicked me inna nuts and told me to go fuck myself. I wish i could sing like this.
Amen brudda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhdcJ7K3XM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhdcJ7K3XM)
And if you ain't guessed by now, I'm a soul boy at heart. And a jazz man at times.
-
There are few things on earth more gorgeous than Marvin Gaye's voice.
And then you bring Tammi Terrell into the mix, and you have one of the greatest soul-pop songs ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg)
Cannot hear it too often. And let's put that into a timeframe. Ever.
-
That Tammi Terrell is hella cute. I don't believe I've ever seen her before.
-
You've never heard of Tammi Terrell!?! Wow!
For your enlightenment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammi_Terrell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammi_Terrell)
-
I Want You Back - The Jackson Five (best pop song ever, and I will fight to the death on this one. Find a flaw with it. I defy you.)
You've not heard that song until you've heard Smokey Robinson's version. Man, he's still got it!
-
You've never heard of Tammi Terrell!?! Wow!
For your enlightenment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammi_Terrell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammi_Terrell)
I have heard of her and heard her sing many many times, but I had until yesterday never seen her.
-
Here's how lazy I am: I thought it would be way easier to play mandolin than guitar because you can make more two-fingered chords. Unfortunately, that is negated by tuning those tiny pairs of strings to each other! (also the sheer lack of actual two-fingered chords; I think there's like five in all. I WAS MISLED.)
I went from mandolin to ukulele. Not only are there a bunch of two-fingered chords, there are plenty of one-fingered chords. Despite Mr. Isosceles saying "Why do I want to buy an iPhone and a fixie bike right now?" when I play, it can be used for all types of music: Elvis Costello playing The Scarlet Tide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI)
-
I went from mandolin to ukulele. Not only are there a bunch of two-fingered chords, there are plenty of one-fingered chords. Despite Mr. Isosceles saying "Why do I want to buy an iPhone and a fixie bike right now?" when I play, it can be used for all types of music: Elvis Costello playing The Scarlet Tide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI)
I used to be in a band with a fulltime mandolin player. Very nice to have around for what we were doing. Homeboy was definitely rockin' an iPhone and a fixie, though.
As for the uke, a friend of mine visited me a couple of months ago. One reason she came to town was to see a band I'd never heard of, but who were quite good. Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB36ETTlOSM)
-
I went from mandolin to ukulele. Not only are there a bunch of two-fingered chords, there are plenty of one-fingered chords. Despite Mr. Isosceles saying "Why do I want to buy an iPhone and a fixie bike right now?" when I play, it can be used for all types of music: Elvis Costello playing The Scarlet Tide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZx-lsbxqI)
Is this...are you...
Have we found the elusive Mrs. Isosceles?
-
Is this...are you...
Have we found the elusive Mrs. Isosceles?
She's not that elusive. Wombat and I have both met her, at least.
-
She's elusive in that she's not around this board much, at least.
I think what we need more of is spouses.
-
Yes, still working on the banjo. Unfortunately I realized that I can make great banjo sounds playing with a pick. So I just play a weird mix of "amazing grace" and "can the circle be unbroken". Also, I came up with a chord progression that I really like and play a lot.
Really though, I want to learn clawhammer.
-
Yes, still working on the banjo. Unfortunately I realized that I can make great banjo sounds playing with a pick. So I just play a weird mix of "amazing grace" and "can the circle be unbroken". Also, I came up with a chord progression that I really like and play a lot.
Really though, I want to learn clawhammer.
Sad note for you, tI. In case you ever actually get to see Thao live she apparently doesn't tour with a banjo. She does play her guitar with a toothbrush for one song, though. So that's pretty bad-ass.
-
Type "clawhammer" in youtube search and there are good intro tutorials to clawhammer banjo.
-
I've returned to playing music a lot more regularly -- I've got a buddy, Buddy, and he's gotten me back into it.
Been playing guitar and noticing some definite improvement can be achieved from renewed regular practice. And I rented a bass and an amp this month, which has been just great. Now I'm in the market for a bass, I think.
-
I have seen these tutorials. I just HATE TO HELL the part of learning an
instrument that is mostly "keep doing this uncomfortable, frustrating motion until it feels normal."
especially because the drone string conflicts with my guitar reflexes. My hand wants it to be the first string, not the fifth thing.
-
An iPhone and a fixie?
-
An iPhone and a fixie?
thats what i was thinking, as well...
maybe its to do with hipsters?(i-phone/fixed gear bicycle)
-
thats what i was thinking, as well...
maybe its to do with hipsters?(i-phone/fixed gear bicycle)
Glad I wasn't the only one wondering, and yes, I think that's exactly it.
-
(http://www.marriedtothesea.com/101909/fixed-gear-velocipede.gif)
-
(http://www.marriedtothesea.com/101909/fixed-gear-velocipede.gif)
if i knew a chick welder, id make an ass out of myself to try and get her attention.
-
Is this...are you...
Have we found the elusive Mrs. Isosceles?
Only on alternate Wednesdays and some weekends. The rest of the time I am set loose in the wilderness, playing the tinwhistle while foraging for berries and small mammals.
-
Yes, still working on the banjo. Unfortunately I realized that I can make great banjo sounds playing with a pick. So I just play a weird mix of "amazing grace" and "can the circle be unbroken". Also, I came up with a chord progression that I really like and play a lot.
Really though, I want to learn clawhammer.
There is a wee vintage banjo uke on consignment at the local toystore. I am tempted.
Have you looked into Alaska Piks? They fit under the nail, which makes them uncomfortable for some people. but might allow you to get the sound you want while playing faster.
-
Only on alternate Wednesdays and some weekends. The rest of the time I am set loose in the wilderness, playing the tinwhistle while foraging for berries and small mammals.
Yeah, that sounds about like what I'd expect.
If you come across a wombat with a laptop, let her live.
-
After watching classic Doors footage on VH1 Friday night, I am convinced I need to get a vintage Fender Rhodes piano bass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_bass)(or a more reasonably-priced Asian ripoff from the 70s or 80s). I love playing bass but I'm just not a good fretter. If I got a piano bass/keyboard bass, I could play it left-handed like Ray Manzerek and do like a snare/kick drum/cymbal thing with my right hand and foot and be my own dang rhythm section. Hell yes.
-
if i knew a chick welder, id make an ass out of myself to try and get her attention.
I know a girl welder and I am constantly making an ass out of myself trying to get her attention.
-
A girlwelder?
Is that like a Dogwelder?
(http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/574/377763-75738-dogwelder_super.JPG)
-
Chubbied I mean Peppered for the Hitman reference. Excellent.
Or should I say Bueno Excellente?
-
Peppered for the Hitman reference.
Often, I myself forget that I am not just a loosely-formed construction of mood disorders and politics.
It is good to remember that my nerd-fu is strong, sometimes.
-
(http://www.marriedtothesea.com/101909/fixed-gear-velocipede.gif)
I cannot speak to this. I spent my evening on top of a mini thunderdome yelling at people riding single speed bicycles.
(That is me in the blue poncho)
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/4088367444_ea7f47fe4d.jpg)
Ladyfriend just posted photos on BookSpace.
(http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14347_172374842806_530962806_3031452_2283939_n.jpg)
She gets my flattering side.
-
Or should I say Bueno Excellente?
Bueno...... bueno!
-
She gets my flattering side.
You're not kidding. *WOLF WHISTLE*
-
Only on alternate Wednesdays and some weekends.
Any moll of Bobby's is worth a can. If only for forbearance.
-
"Thy rebuke has broken his heart" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtbY60mT6aE), from the Messiah Oratorio by Handel.
God's earworm.
-
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, "Home". (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106465335) I love this song! Every time I hear it I smile. I don't know that it's one for the ages, but it's great for now.
-
The song Cross the Breeze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vQdiwxIyzo) by Sonic Youth is amazing. I had previously liked it, but when I saw them live I realized the degree to which this song is AWESOME.
I have also been on a big Johnny Cash kick, which hasn't happened in a year or so. I forgot how many of his songs are Perfect.
Specifically, Big River (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBLgtKVwptA&feature=related) is so good. This version is a bit fast, as are all the live versions I found on youtube.
Also amazing: Hey Porter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rEZW6b70k&feature=related), although it makes me feel an association with the South that is mostly a lie.
-
Great Picks. I've been listening to a lot of Cash as well, mostly the Live at San Quentin Album. It has a great version of Big River (http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Big_River_Bonus_Track_/1067818) and also Wanted Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpI9A9fxRH4).
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I've also been listening to a lot of Lightning Bolt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXoYUmkRBM) lately. I can never make it through an entire album though, since it is about 60 min. of pure sonic assault.
-
gary go-wonderful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElO4x_BZ1As)
radical power pop. hell of uplifting and affirming.
-
I'm a Pretender -- The Exploding Hearts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMNTNaTlZ0)
Teenage Kicks -- The Undertones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVrP6JaPUv0)
-
Man the Exploding Hearts are so good. Jailbird is awesome, as is Throwaway Style and Boulevard Trash. You can tell on all of the songs about glue they are passionate about the subject. I like that part best.
-
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, "Home". (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106465335) I love this song! Every time I hear it I smile. I don't know that it's one for the ages, but it's great for now.
That was fantastic. I want to hear more from this band.
-
I'm a Pretender -- The Exploding Hearts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMNTNaTlZ0)
I think I found my new favorite band. For some reason I feel like I had their album a few years ago but never listened to it. That is a mistake I need to correct.
-
Yeah, relatively recent for me too, and Christ, I can't get enough of this song. I've listened to it like a dozen times today.
-
I've listened to it like a dozen times today.
That's what I've been doing with Shelia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg1I0FOtE4c) by Atlas Sound. Though I have to be careful not to stare at the cover art too long because that photo will haunt my dreams.
-
You're telling me! And for some reason I bought it on vinyl. Thanks Mr. Bradford Cox! Let's just say it won't be on display.
But he is granted rock n roll immunity for anything he ever does because of this alone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZtxWzaDQg). I stumbled my way up to him after a show in Chicago once, when he as DJing an after-show set, me fucked up on gin and xanax, and thanked him for this song because I knew that one day it would save my life. It was the xanax talking, but I know he appreciated the sentiment. I even went on to compare it to, at least in my head if not aloud to him, Heart Cooks Brain by Modest penis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qgEl4KWB4), previously mentioned by me in this thread.
-
I kind of met him once, he was a very friendly dude. My friend went up to talk to him after a show and I just kind of stood there, he shook my friend's hand and stuff. Also, like, the way we saw him in the first place is that he just came out and stood in front of the venue and said hi to people.
also: today I found a website that finally told me a banjo picking pattern that people actually use. YES.
-
My current work environment prevents me from visiting YouTube, so you'll just have to trust me that Be Calm by the punctuated band Fun. is one of the most bizarrely thrilling things this side of Queen that I've heard in a long-ass time.
-
My current work environment prevents me from visiting YouTube, so you'll just have to trust me that Be Calm by the punctuated band Fun. is one of the most bizarrely thrilling things this side of Queen that I've heard in a long-ass time.
Are you familiar with The Format? I'm pretty sure they're the band that singer in fun. used to be in. It certainly sounds like the same guy.
-
Yep, that's the dude. The former lead singer of Anathallo is part of fun. as well.
-
Fun. - Be Calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMXBUjm8tM)
-
Venetian Snares - Hajnal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9beA88_66c)
M83 - Teen Angst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZnJciiFIYI)
Kyuss - Whitewater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcY3UF6_IaM)
-
Fun. - Be Calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMXBUjm8tM)
Cann'd for the Steve Nash-level assist.
-
I was reading the Youtube thread with every intention of clicking on a video and then iTunes cued up Rock & Roll Suicide and I realized ain't no way I'm turning off that song to watch some dude on Youtube doing moderately amusing things.
-
I was reading the Youtube thread with every intention of clicking on a video and then iTunes cued up Rock & Roll Suicide and I realized ain't no way I'm turning off that song to watch some dude on Youtube doing moderately amusing things.
Correct decision.
I've been listening to Jeffrey Lewis's latest album a bunch lately. I think it may be his best so far. His music always makes me fees so good - nostalgic and hopeful at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7N4uBZLe1Q
-
Fun. - Be Calm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMXBUjm8tM)
This sounds like what would happen if a gang of vocalists and a string quartet recorded a song while running around kidnapping more musicians. A wee can to you.
-
Kyuss - Whitewater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcY3UF6_IaM)
Seconded.
Esbjornn Svenson Trio - Eight Hundred Streets by Feet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COAziaxYQCI) - or Tuesday Wonderland, or When God Created the Coffee Break, or Dodge the Dodo... or any of a number of others by them.
The Cat Empire - The Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UO9j220y0) - or basically anything by them. There are a handful of bands who I could happily go and see live about once a week. The Cat Empire I could probably do nightly.
Oh, and again, muchly anything (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZXzKhsWujY) by them, but Lau - The Lang Set (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spiQlYCHZtQ) is one of the finest ways to finish a tune ever. I'm unbelievably excited to be seeing them a third time in a couple of weeks.
-
Slink!
-
I finally made it. I'm halfway through writing the post that for months now I've been meaning to show up to post, but my brain stopped working some time this evening.
I'll finish it later. But also, I'm here now so it would seem churlish to vanish again, even if I am yet to sit down with the sheer quantity of martini it will take to catch up on Achewood; an activity I consider a treat in waiting, but an ever-growing one!
-
And now I feel loved once more.
Squee.
-
oh god, this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ju9sw6j_g) THIS SONG.
Much of this album is good, but WOW some of the songs are like the best thing I have ever heard.
Maybe it is partially for personal reasons. Yeah, probably.
I really like the line
We don't have to be stars exploding in the night
Or electric eels under the covers
We don't have to be anything quite so unreal
Lets just be lovers
-
Good song. Weird, because not 10 minutes ago I bought my ticket to see them in Oakland in February.
-
oh god, this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ju9sw6j_g) THIS SONG.
Much of this album is good, but WOW some of the songs are like the best thing I have ever heard.
Maybe it is partially for personal reasons. Yeah, probably.
I really like the line
Another amazing song I should have posted. I have said a song is amazing like ten times but never posted on, so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBWpb1RqdHs
Maybe this will clear up some confusion with Judy's new name too.
also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im7NV3Knk_Y Exploding hearts- Jailbird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWP9XOZlXuk Spindrift- The New West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkvK638yKuY ? and the Mysterians- 96 Tears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa-8ZRW1Qeo&feature=PlayList&p=4FD4CB4570F5FEEC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=32 - My Favoite SFA song (thats the judy name song band)
-
NINETY SIX TEARS!
yes.
-
Has anyone heard much of Ethan Lipton? He has this song called "Girl from the Renaissance Fair" that is fuck*ng amazing. But I can't find it anywhere on the internets except his myspace page. I feel kinda weird linking it here, but if you have a moment it's worth the search and a listen.
Ah, well, here it is:
http://www.myspace.com/ethanlipton
Sorry if you hate myspace.
Oh, and it's on lala.com if you use that.
-
crap! I keep remembering more songs!
I listened to this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyIIltId5M) like 800 times this summer, it makes me really sad and happy at the same time.
It is so beautiful.
I really like loud music, and probably listen to loud angry/sassy/whatever music the most... but folky music is what gets me all worked up.
-
oh, also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mfVyLxYu8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNSjItTfes
Seriously, these songs are amazing. Both by the black Lips, Veni Vedi Vici and Bad Kids.
-
one more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU
good the bad and the ugly theme. ennio morricone is the tits.
-
Who doesn't love Ennio Morricone? They better stay away from me, unless they want to see their own insides anyway.
-
Pretty shitty video for sound quality but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxIVQmvLo4
-
Ambulance Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXAaNQjgMA8)
-
Such a good album.
-
One of the best goddamned albums ever put to vinyl, holy crap.
The title track and "Revolution Blues" are similarly amazing.
"Revolution Blues" is fun as hell to sing in LA traffic, too.
-
Here are mine:
The Bengals' cover of Hazy Shade of Winter. I first heard it when I was a child, and I didn't know who Simon & Garfunkel or The Bengals were, but it didn't matter, because I knew it was good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9PVucS9aw
"Oh, You Pretty Things" - David Bowie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgQHZjAafo4
"I Am A Scientist" - Guided by Voices http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9x6zckn18
"Maps" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdcOXDl-bA
David Bowie - "Kooks". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chtMQpeXyuc It's just so sweet! When I have kids, Future Wife and I will sing this to them.
Nirvana's cover of "Plateau". It's what I sing quietly to stave off panic attacks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMZTsiavw0
-
"Maps" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdcOXDl-bA
I love that song, and not just 'cause I can nail the vocals even at expert level in Rock Band.
Also, it's the Bangles.
-
This has made me realize that we need either a Bangles cover of a Mr. Bungle song or a Mr. Bungle cover of a Bangles song.
Now.
-
Also, it's the Bangles.
Oops. Yeah, I guess bracelets make a lot more sense than tigers. I was focusing hard on proper apostrophe use that it slipped right by me. Which tigers can do, because they're stealthy.
-
Walk Like the Ickey Shuffle?
-
Walk Like the Ickey Shuffle?
The concert was going really, really well, and then in the first song of the encore, bang someone tackles Suzanna Hoffs and she tears her ACL. And that's pretty much all she wrote.
-
Hey, here's my end-of-year mix.
1. Superchunk "Learned to Surf"
2. Santigold "Lights Out"
3. The Broken West "Perfect Games"
4. Company of Thieves "Oscar Wilde"
5. Man Plus "A Ghost is a Ghost"
6. Metric "Sick Muse"
7. Friendly Fires "Skeleton Boy"
8. Lykke Li "Little Bit"
9. Glasvegas "Geraldine"
10. Doves "Kingdom of Rust"
11. Silversun Pickups "Panic Switch"
12. Pela "Lost to the Lonesome"
13. Neko Case "Red Tide"
14. Grand Archives "Torn Blue Foam Couch"
15. The Avett Brothers "Ten Thousdan Words"
16. Bon Iver "Blood Bank"
17. The Temper Trap "Sweet Disposition"
18. Animal Collective "My Girls"
Downloadable at:
ftp.bigfool.com
user name: bigfoo_guest
password: r0x0rz!
-
Roxy Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HCzpD9BCQA