The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Asherdan on August 02, 2010, 06:16:04 pm

Title: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Asherdan on August 02, 2010, 06:16:04 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2010, 06:20:21 pm
Is this strips only or does it include blog posts, Ask Rays, or the Achewood Variety Hour era postings?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2010, 08:25:17 pm
Really there has been pretty much nothing in the fanflow too, so that's not the explanation.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 02, 2010, 08:57:58 pm
I am still blown away that he is able to support a home and family with the amount of product he puts out. I thought Mrs.O just worked in the "store" but maybe she is doing something else, too?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2010, 09:03:16 pm
Look, guys, cut him some slack. It's understandable that Onstad is having a hard time maintaining output, what with all the hookers and cocaine and everything.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arlucasinc on August 02, 2010, 09:18:08 pm
I really wish my Bloglines feed didn't still say "A new cartoon every weekday."

It makes me so sad.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 02, 2010, 10:35:25 pm
Look, guys, cut him some slack. It's understandable that Onstad is having a hard time maintaining output, what with all the hookers and cocaine and everything.
That's funny, because my output increases exponentially under those conditions.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on August 03, 2010, 05:55:05 am
Yeah but you're a swinging young bachelor. Old O's wife ain't gonna beat herself.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2010, 06:33:02 am
Yeah, not only has the amount of strips dropped, but we haven't seen Ray since March.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 03, 2010, 06:56:07 pm
Now we know: he's been building a fort.
http://twitpic.com/2bb6pf (http://twitpic.com/2bb6pf)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on August 03, 2010, 07:24:27 pm
Cool fort.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on August 20, 2010, 06:55:17 pm
wait a minute, he's writing strips specifically for the "pay" section?

i thought that was just the blogs and shit.  all that "Extra" stuff.  was what he charged for.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 20, 2010, 07:25:58 pm
There haven't been strips in the pay section in a while that I remember. It's mostly blogs and no more frequent than the free section. The most recent post is a preview of the "much delayed volume 3."
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 20, 2010, 07:45:15 pm
Are there in fact strips in the pay section?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 20, 2010, 07:53:58 pm
You would all be proud of me.

Dude was asking for donations on facebook and I did not start posting all kinds of shit about "well, if you put your efforts into expanding your fanbase with frequent free side-content instead of putting all those things behind an expansion-limiting paywall, maybe you would still be selling more books and shirts and stuff such as was the original business model that let you quit your day-job, son".

The little blogs and stuff were the things that developed fans, got them hooked between the strips, kept them coming nearly every day even when there were two strips in a week or one or whatever.

But I didn't lace into that. I didn't make an ass outta myself.

I browsed away to pornography instead, like a good little monkey.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 20, 2010, 07:57:37 pm
Are there in fact strips in the pay section?

The regular strips post there. I think there have been a few weird extra strips here and there, but that's not mostly what it has been.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on August 20, 2010, 09:31:54 pm
"well, if you put your efforts into expanding your fanbase with frequent free side-content instead of putting all those things behind an expansion-limiting paywall, creating content and updating more than once a damn week maybe you would still be selling more books and shirts and stuff such as was the original business model that let you quit your day-job, son".


FTFY
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 20, 2010, 09:53:27 pm
Fair enough, Aug.

But I think it is also fair to say that if the stuff he puts behind the pay-wall was being tossed out there as filler between actual strips, as it originally was, it would ameliorate the lack of updating that at this point HAS to be cutting into his ability to grow new readers that are then new merch-purchasers.

It is hard to get involved enough with an internet comic to the point where you would have loyalty to actually PAY for something if, after the archive binge there's nothing more to look at for weeks.

Because he did go through periods, not THIS bad, but long stretches where he didn't update the strip frequently but the free side stuff carried me through.

There still aren't that many people in the world who will pay for internet-only things unless they have a feeling of sweat-equity in their fandom.

The rise and possible fall of Achewood, it is an interest illustrative of this.

Though, of course, yes. That is only part of the problem.

Taking a strip that updated three times a week and ramping back to three times a month is a big chunk of it too.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 20, 2010, 10:04:54 pm
I wonder what he's working on that is keeping him from his work on the strip?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 20, 2010, 10:16:11 pm
Crying in his kitchen.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 20, 2010, 10:44:32 pm
I think LFM's arguments about this all being about the pay wall, would make more sense if there was more content behind the paywall than there is free, but at the moment there really isn't. He has been updating that infrequently enough that even if that stuff was out there, it still wouldn't be much updating.

I guess he may have been working on the much-delayed volume three, it will be interesting to see if there is a whole lot of added stuff in that that accounts for the drought.  If he's been working on a book he can sell for money, that might make sense as a priority.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on August 21, 2010, 03:48:16 am
He broke his drawing hand whilst beating up his wife.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 21, 2010, 04:12:51 am
He broke his drawing hand whilst beating up his wife.

i think his wife broke his drawing hand whilst beating up him.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 21, 2010, 04:00:54 pm
"Please help us keep the servers lit and firing! We're having the second "fund raiser" in our nine years—please consider dropping a little spare change in our (Paypal-powered) tip jar.

And yes, there will be a new strip later Friday. Thanks for your sense of humor about the summer schedule. "

This guy is kind of a dick and I don't think he has a solid grasp on the finer points of business relationships. It is not a fuck*ng fundraiser. You are a for-profit business that is begging me for money and then in the same breath flat out lies about delivering a product. This arc started in May and all that has really happened is Nice Pete and T went to denny's.
COOL STORY, CHRIS, COOL STORY. THE PERRY BIBLE fuck*ng FELLOWSHIP AND YOU MUST BE ON THE SAME UPDATE SCHEDULE.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 21, 2010, 04:35:42 pm
The sad thing is that at this point, I would probably donate fifty bucks to him if he'd discontinue the paywall for good but I would not pay him three bucks a month to see behind the paywall.

I have gotten Ideological about this.

Asking for donations to keep the strip going while also charging extra for the ephemera that used to BE the buffer between strips, it BUGS me.

From a purely A-CAP sorta money-only perspective, the guy HAD a business model. The guy had a business model that allowed him and his wife to do just this thing and it seems like he slit the throat of the goose that laid the golden eggs by changing it up too fast in hopes of an expanded cash grab.

Not just the paywall bullshit but just overall. Putting so much time and effort into the Dark hoss books (it seems) and the promotional travel (it seems) to the detriment of... the actual core model.

Step 1: create such an engaging comedy world that fans feel an ownership of it and give it out on the web
Step 2: sell crap with cats on it to those fans
Step 3: profit

I dunno. Or maybe the dude just can't balance the difficulties of being a work-at-home father to a small kid with doing the strip.

Possible too. But as it does not reinforce my ideological narrative, I dismiss this concept out of hand. haha.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on August 21, 2010, 06:57:34 pm
I wonder what he's working on that is keeping him from his work on the strip?

i heard he was spending the summer going house to house to visit all of
his webcomic readers and then kicking them in the balls.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Toaster on August 22, 2010, 04:43:44 am
WHAT IF THEY DO NOT HAVE BALLS.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 22, 2010, 05:38:08 am
they all have gonads, unless they have had that business removed.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 23, 2010, 01:50:57 pm
Quote
Brief diversion of plans: The current storyline is taking a break this week as I develop a Roomba Cinema Citizen Kane of expanded dimensions. Follow your heart, you know.

It's the creative process, what can you do, I guess.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2010, 01:55:19 pm
So are T and Beef gonna be riding roomba's around in the back of the van?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Harlock Hero on August 23, 2010, 01:56:10 pm
Something tells me this is actually the last we ever see of this Nice Pete's van arc. Which I guess I'm okay with. I was still "interested" in knowing how it ended, but at 2-3 installments a month, fuck it.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on August 23, 2010, 01:57:07 pm
I'm just going to put this out there: If Onstad doesn't want to do Achewood anymore, I'd be totally cool with reading whatever it is he wants to do next. I think it would be cool. Dude needs to get his passion back.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on August 23, 2010, 02:29:29 pm
I'm just going to put this out there: If Onstad doesn't want to do Achewood anymore, I'd be totally cool with reading whatever it is he wants to do next. I think it would be cool. Dude needs to get his passion back.

Well said.  Seconded.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Choop on August 23, 2010, 02:51:18 pm
thirded. i don't come here for the comic anyway.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2010, 03:08:33 pm
Yeah, Achewood or something else.  I don't care, just fuck*ng do it.

Edit:  Sorry, that was kinda snappy.  I haven't had my breakfast and my blood sugar levels are low.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 23, 2010, 04:01:51 pm
Yeah, Achewood or something else.  I don't care, just fuck*ng do it.

Edit:  Sorry, that was kinda snappy.  I haven't had my breakfast and my blood sugar levels are low.

can for bringing the snark
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2010, 04:25:56 pm
I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up.  It's only been 7 work days since his last strip.  You know how hard those roomba strips are to draw.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 23, 2010, 05:13:42 pm
But what if he doesn't know what the "Something else" is?  That would be mighty rough.  Burned out on the current project, not inspired for a new one, wondering what to do with oneself career-wise after being a cartoonist for so long.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 23, 2010, 05:27:44 pm
I would totally be on board for and purchase merchandise of "The Next Idea" absolutely.

I would not purchase the paywall bonuses, though.

It is now officially An Irrational Thing with me.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 23, 2010, 08:27:56 pm
ALSO:

If we are nearing the end of Achewood as a live updating internet comic strip, what is going to be the point that people "remember" as the "real" end?

You know how television shows that are looked upon fondly, most of them outstay their welcome and the last season or two gets functionally disowned by the fanbase so that they can still love the memory of their show?

What would have been the cut off point, that ways, for Achewood?

The coda at the end of the "Phillipe goes home and comes back" arc?

I mean, from a storytelling point of view, it would kind of thematically have made sense for that to be the natural end of the strip, yeah?

Wraps it all up nice. It ends in a little arc that points out how it kind of had to end (creatively) but will always exist (meta-narratively).
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Choop on August 23, 2010, 09:04:48 pm
GOF, it ain't been the same since
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Harlock Hero on August 23, 2010, 11:55:50 pm
Are we now 'fessing up to the sentiment that we "liked Achewood when it was good, before it got popular?" Have we been made "hipsters" of?


(No offense to hipsters.)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on August 24, 2010, 12:28:01 am
Fuck all y'all. I didn't even like the GOF that much.

There, I said it. Give me a two-minute head start before you start throwing rocks, will you?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on August 24, 2010, 12:38:44 am
I didn't either. It was a guy thing.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on August 24, 2010, 02:26:02 am
The GOF was good, but not my favorite.  That would be the Super-Secret Ice Cream Parlor.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 03:54:08 am
I like any number of one offs more than the GOF, but GOF is the best of the "arcs."  Well maybe the toilet party, tough call.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 24, 2010, 04:16:11 am
Quote from: Harlock Hero
Are we now 'fessing up to the sentiment that we "liked Achewood when it was good, before it got popular?"

Nah. I think we're talking a lot more about "before various factors caused the creator to lose momentum" than "before it got popular".
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 04:30:14 am
Yeah, we're not abandoning him because he's popular, hell, if anything he's abandoning us.  We're just speculating as to why it takes him two weeks to write and draw a strip these days.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on August 24, 2010, 05:32:27 am

What would have been the cut off point, that ways, for Achewood?

The coda at the end of the "Phillipe goes home and comes back" arc?

I mean, from a storytelling point of view, it would kind of thematically have made sense for that to be the natural end of the strip, yeah?

Wraps it all up nice. It ends in a little arc that points out how it kind of had to end (creatively) but will always exist (meta-narratively).

That would have been a wonderful place to end it.  "Tidy, no?"

But noooooooooooooooo, we have to limp through this gross and boring Nice Pete arc ten days at a time.  I can't wait for it to end.  Probably around Thanksgiving.

At one point, I did a three month trial subscription to the pay site.  When that wasn't updated regularly, I let it lapse.  And now I'm supposed to "hit the tip jar" for a new strip twice a month?  Fuck that noise.

If Onstad would just update the site three days a week in exchange for me buying two t-shirts a year, I could live with that.  I know the muse is a tough buck, but this is ridiculous.   
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 24, 2010, 05:34:36 am
I dont think being popular has anything to do with it. I think the glacial pace of uninspired arcs has done it for me.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 24, 2010, 06:12:06 am
Quote from: Limmo
If Onstad would just update the site three days a week in exchange for me buying two t-shirts a year, I could live with that.

Since the tiny cans of Dr. Pepper are imaginary, they are functionally limitless?

And still, I could not ever give you all the tiny cans you deserve for this statement.

Whichever one of us is secretly Onstad, please read and re-read that every day until Achewood is either over or good again.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2010, 11:07:45 am
Quote
I dont think being popular has anything to do with it. I think the glacial pace of uninspired arcs has done it for me.
HIPSTER.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on August 24, 2010, 02:19:44 pm
Yeah, we're not abandoning him because he's popular, hell, if anything he's abandoning us.  We're just speculating as to why it takes him two weeks to write and draw a strip these days.

i'm going to vote his child bangs on the door any time he is on the other side of it.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Harlock Hero on August 24, 2010, 02:21:49 pm
That "hipster" thing wasn't really a serious suggestion; just something that occurred to me because the consensus seems to be that the GOF was the "peak" after which things never really recovered, and that arc also marked his boom in popularity.

The GOF was never my favorite, either. My fave strip might be the "Giant apocalyptic machinery... just mowing us all down" one.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on August 24, 2010, 02:23:26 pm
That "hipster" thing wasn't really a serious suggestion; just something that occurred to me because the consensus seems to be that the GOF was the "peak" after which things never really recovered, and that arc also marked his boom in popularity.

The GOF was never my favorite, either. My fave strip might be the "Giant apocalyptic machinery... just mowing us all down" one.

dude, things have gone down hill since the retarded otter stopped standing on it.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on August 24, 2010, 03:21:41 pm
i'm going to vote his child bangs on the door any time he is on the other side of it.



His kid is the same age as my oldest, which means she's probably starting kindergarten in the next couple of weeks (if she hasn't already). The frequency of strips may increase significantly in the next few months.

Then again, it may drop off even further as he realizes that once the munchkin is gone for the day he can go back to bed.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 01, 2010, 10:27:24 pm

A quick regression of mine predicts 9/4 will be the next strip.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 01, 2010, 10:41:39 pm
oh yeah, id have to put in a dummy variable if-weekend, but ive closed the spreadsheet now. The model is pretty accurate against history with a 3 day range. The early days of him posting 5 a week have to be discounted as well.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 02, 2010, 12:43:26 am
Has he ever posted five a week?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on September 02, 2010, 03:52:43 pm
Has he ever posted five a week?

I don't know, that would require me to apply some effort.   And since that is something that Onstad appears to be incapable of on anything like a regular basis....

I took a gander at the "free fanflow" thing with Pat's dance contest.  The few chuckles I got out of it were completely offset by thinking "this is Onstad's creative cumshot for the entire week right here, so I guess we won't have any forward motion on the story arc until after Labor Day weekend." 

I'm more entertained these days by complaining about Achewood than I am by the strip itself.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 02, 2010, 04:24:09 pm
Oh, The Bob Talbot! I haven't thought about him in years.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 02, 2010, 04:51:59 pm
He's not putting enough in the front end to attract new readers and he's not putting enough in the back end to entice his longtime fans to sign up.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 02, 2010, 05:01:48 pm
He's not putting enough in the front end to attract new readers and he's not putting enough in the back end to entice his longtime fans to sign up.

That seems backwards. Surely it's

new readers = ass men
longtime fans = breast men
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2010, 12:15:14 pm
Good news from his Twitter:

Quote
Was Mr. Mom for last two weeks of summer vac. Got sweet f/a done. Holing up with whisky and anger again.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: oball on September 03, 2010, 12:50:51 pm
A quick regression of mine predicts 9/4 will be the next strip.

Shit, we have to wait until next April?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 03, 2010, 04:10:19 pm
Back when I did drafting if the engineers didn't give me a job number I would put sweet FA in the job number field.  When they asked me about it I would say it means nothing, it doesn't exist, it's British slang.  Sometimes they would tell me to take it off.  I would say I will as soon as you give me a job number.  I had to be a hard ass because I needed the job number for my time report.

I never told them what FA stood for.  Ha ha.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2010, 04:30:13 pm
The part I thought was good news was "Holing up with whisky and anger again."
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on September 03, 2010, 09:08:46 pm
That doesn't mean he's actually going to produce anything.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2010, 10:11:58 pm
Yeah, but it ups the odds, at least.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 04, 2010, 01:25:19 am
Once the bruises on his knuckles start healing anyway.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Choop on September 04, 2010, 02:56:15 am
What's Onstad going to tell his wife?
Nothing, he already told her twice
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: robot_god on September 06, 2010, 01:30:28 am
A quick regression of mine predicts 9/4 will be the next strip.

YOU SO WRONG!!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 06, 2010, 01:32:02 am
YOU SO WRONG!!
ha ha, yeah. should've adjusted for weekends.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: robot_god on September 06, 2010, 05:57:51 pm
The problem is that the time off between  strips is increasing exponentially.  First days, now weeks.  Next: months?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 07, 2010, 06:21:02 am
This is why sometimes I go a year or so between reading it.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2010, 12:22:41 am
Yeah, if you're in dire enough a situation to be asking people for nothing-back no-strings-attached donations...

That might not be the time to also take your strip to a bi-monthly format.

You might wanna start busting out whatever you can, even somewhat subpar stuff, just to remind people that you exist.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 08, 2010, 12:30:27 am
I hope he keeps in kind how much it would suck if he had to get a job working for the man.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 12:30:51 am
He's obviously working on something else, we just don't know what it is.  Hell, he might even be whoring himself out to some commercial job.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 12:31:42 am
I hope he keeps in kind how much it would suck if he had to get a job working for the man.

Ha, we posted at the same time.  Who can say for sure he's not doing exactly that?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 08, 2010, 12:37:29 am
Ha, we posted at the same time.  Who can say for sure he's not doing exactly that?

Are you fuck*ng kidding me, Paul? One thing I can say for sure (as sure as I can know anyone from the internet), there ain't no way that guy's holding down a straight job.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 12:46:30 am
Are you fuck*ng kidding me, Paul? One thing I can say for sure (as sure as I can know anyone from the internet), there ain't no way that guy's holding down a straight job.

Good!  Then, when he gets fired he can get back to the talking cats and alive stuffed animals.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2010, 02:35:28 am
If he had taken up another day job, I reckon he wouldn't be frantically begging for money from strangers on his website.

Taking another day job would be a total admission to the fact that he's regarding Achewood as a hobby/supplimentary income again, yeah?

So those things wouldn't happen in that order.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 08, 2010, 03:31:56 am
The begging for money thing is starting to piss me off to be honest. He chooses not to do anything. He chooses not to produce a product for consumption either free or for a cost. He's just blindly begging for money for nothing in return.
The difference between him and a panhandler is that I can believe the panhandler has had some special circumstance that is preventing him from earning a wage.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2010, 04:44:01 am
I mean, I can see him leaving up the donation thing for the purposes of new readers, coming on just now.

He does have a rather amazing backlog of content up that wasn't taken down when it was published in book form or put behind a second paywall for the archive.

How he could hook many new readers to get them to donate is the problem, when you aren't updating your site anymore.

For people actually paying for the paywall stuff, this must be even more insulting.

"I'm paying you for the extra content that used to be for free and now you're asking me to donate extra for the stuff that was supposed to stay free but is now simply non-existent?"

Man, why did he have to go and do a thing.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2010, 12:10:16 pm
OK, I admit it. Even I am starting to despair now.


(Edit doo two such despair that I kan't spel kurekly.)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on September 08, 2010, 02:40:38 pm
i agree with wombat.

but, oh well, all good things must come to an end.

The begging for money thing is starting to piss me off to be honest. He chooses not to do anything. He chooses not to produce a product for consumption either free or for a cost. He's just blindly begging for money for nothing in return.
The difference between him and a panhandler is that I can believe the panhandler has had some special circumstance that is preventing him from earning a wage.

you are insane.

many panhandlers panhandle as an occupation.  many people under special circumstances have direct resources for direct help that has nothing to do with standing on a street spreading TB to passers-by.  people under special circumstances who do end up standing on the street spreading TB will generally be given multiple forms of advice as to what to do with themselves. intermixed between "get a job" and "fuck off and die" will be juicy tidbits like "go to the shelter on the corner of 1st and Ave A and they can get you a hot meal and a direction".

there are a large number of people under special circumstances who will still end up on the street spreading TB, but the number of them compared to the number of people who will stab you in the back of the neck with a with a broken spoke from a schwinn in order to sell your socks to the crazy lady who eats cats in order to by sterno is such a poor ratio as to not lend one to hope in regards to thinking the best of panhandlers.

regardless of the bodily damage you may well incur from your optimism,
the primary difference between Chris Onstadt begging for money and a panhandler who may either be on hard times or be on hard drugs is that the panhandler doesn't have a website full of years worth of content for you to freely peruse.

or, if the panhandler does, maybe he should get off the street and stop spreading TB.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2010, 03:00:29 pm
And of course the other difference is that if Chris Onstad had TB, you couldn't catch it through his website.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 08, 2010, 03:26:52 pm
-Stuff-

And that was the day that A-Cap got chewed out for being too charitable to the homeless.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2010, 03:46:36 pm
Speaking just from having lived about a quarter of my life in Los Angeles, the majority of the homeless people I saw appeared (granted, I am not a trained professional but I have a lot of personal experience in the matter) to be suffering some kind mental illness in the schizophrenic spectrum.

After that, the largest group seemed to be people who'd been addicted to heavy drugs and alcohol for so long that they functioned at a similar capacity to someone with an in-born mental illness, even if it was brought on by drug abuse instead of genetics.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2010, 04:30:16 pm
And that was the day that A-Cap got chewed out for being too charitable to the homeless.

I can die now; I've seen everything.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 04:37:00 pm
Oh, that was classic.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: TripperDay on September 08, 2010, 05:53:33 pm
i agree with wombat.

but, oh well, all good things must come to an end.

-snip-

regardless of the bodily damage you may well incur from your optimism,
the primary difference between Chris Onstadt begging for money and a panhandler who may either be on hard times or be on hard drugs is that the panhandler doesn't have a website full of years worth of content for you to freely peruse.

or, if the panhandler does, maybe he should get off the street and stop spreading TB.



That's true. I thought the rumors of Achewood's death had been exaggerated, but even the store is missing most of its content. I didn't try to put every item in my cart, but I clicked on a lot of them and all I found was a pack of stickers.

On another note, I noticed you were in NW TN. I was born in Trenton. Small web, I guess.

Anyone got a copy of one of the cookbooks for sale? I hate that I never got one of those.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2010, 06:21:13 pm
I am cool with him not doing Achewood any more. I just wish he would decide to stop and move on to something else, instead of pretending he's going to keep it up just as soon as [personal life event x] is over.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: robot_god on September 08, 2010, 09:03:04 pm
Hell yeah.  We're collectively pissed off.  That's cool.  Let's draw straws and the winner gets to pull a Lennon/Selena.  Teach this mfer a lesson.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 08, 2010, 09:31:39 pm
Hell yeah.  We're collectively pissed off.  That's cool.  Let's draw straws and the winner gets to pull a Lennon/Selena.  Teach this mfer a lesson.

"if i cant read new achewood strips then NO one can!"
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2010, 10:00:57 pm
That's...pretty accurate, actually.

On account of there's none to read.

I nominate Fanta to go postal and start shooting. He's the most likely candidate anyway, especially now that Bobby's gone.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2010, 11:26:06 pm
Yeah.  If he's done, he's done.  That's fine.  If he never does another thing he should be remembered as one of the finest humorists of the decade.

But it's time to man up and either shit or get off the pot.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2010, 12:54:00 am
As long as he reveals which (or how many) of us he was as he walks out the door, I'll feel complete.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2010, 02:50:55 am
As long as he reveals which (or how many) of us he was as he walks out the door, I'll feel complete.

I thought he was you.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 09, 2010, 10:49:44 am
Actually, Bobby appears to have made his final disappearance around the time Achewood dies for good.
That would make an awful lot of sense.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 09, 2010, 01:06:29 pm
But wombat has supposedly met Onstad and Bobby. Maybe wombat is in on it. The mind boggles.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2010, 03:04:59 pm
But wombat has supposedly met Onstad and Bobby. Maybe wombat is in on it. The mind boggles.

He's a master of disguise!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2010, 03:20:31 pm
I mean, I got a personally-signed GoF book from someone claiming to be Onstad... one of the Onstand-ins, if you will... and he was certainly pleasant.

But even when I was a little kid and believed in Santa Claus, I understood that most of the Santas in the malls weren't the actual Santa, they were surrogate Santas covering the smaller territories and doing the recon work while Actual Santa was dealing with the big picture things like not getting me the fuck*ng USS Flagg G.I. Joe battleship playset or the super-rare He-Man Eternia playset.

Even though "Cathy" was of course generated by The Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy to set feminism back forty years, I'm certain that the Cathy Guisewhite person they propped up for the occasional media interviews was indeed a living breathing person and you could shake her hand at signings or whatever. Occam's Razor and all that, a fully corporeal patsy would certainly be a lot cheaper and easier than the alternatives.

Save the cutting edge holography and animatronics for the more high-end cases like Reagan.

Lotsa people have met Clark Kent and Superman too. Superman's got look alike *****s and friends who can shapeshift.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2010, 05:36:42 pm
There was some talk on here that the end of the Philippe goes home story would have been a perfect place to end the series.  Tidy, no?  But the Citizen Kane strip is a good metaphor for Achewood.  Started out small, hard work followed by a meteoric rise to somewhere near the top. descent into madness.  Ending with a mysterious death and unfinished business.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on September 09, 2010, 07:10:57 pm
A good metaphor, but a pathetic place to end Achewood. 
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2010, 07:20:59 pm
...unless it ended looking into the fireplace and there, burning away, is a drum machine manual.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on September 09, 2010, 08:29:25 pm
Canned.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2010, 11:43:13 pm
Is there any industry speculation about Onstad's dwindling production?  I don't know if there even exist such as a webzine about online comics, maybe a blog or two somewhere; surely they would have noticed what's going on and commented on it.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2010, 11:46:57 pm
Here's a possibility that I thought of.  Maybe the Onstad's have another kid.  So now, in addition to having a 3-4 year old he's doing the baby thing again.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 10, 2010, 12:00:21 am
Wouldn't we get another pretending-to-be-ironic-but-entirely-sincerely-cloyingly-cute string of microblogs about the baby, then, and the near-immediate commodifying of said product?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 10, 2010, 12:21:44 am
Is there any industry speculation about Onstad's dwindling production?  I don't know if there even exist such as a webzine about online comics, maybe a blog or two somewhere; surely they would have noticed what's going on and commented on it.

There is Fleen (http://www.fleen.com/) and I think he links to other sites on the same topic sometimes but I don't remember what they are.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 10, 2010, 12:25:22 am
It might actually be relevant that he has been in rather poor health this week, according to his Twitter, for example:

Quote
Who wants to spend all day in bed with me while I hork up yellow bloody phlegm and Luna bar chunks? WELL YOU'RE TOO LATE IT'S OVER. (I hope)

So perhaps all this talk of the demise of the comic is premature.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 10, 2010, 12:43:06 am
That'd only explain the last week, though.

And it doesn't explain "Bad Hick Accent Theatre" at all. haha.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on September 10, 2010, 02:21:36 am
Is he on strike? Until we all donate?  If so he should be less coy about it.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 10, 2010, 03:53:58 am
Here's the thing that troubles me: I don't have any problem per se with the hitting-people-up-for-donations thing, but if you're going to do it, shouldn't you first make sure that you've got two or three weeks' worth of new strips that you can post at regular intervals, so that your readers will be reminded of why they should donate in the first place? That seems to me to be a much better business model than begging for donations at the same time that you completely stop updating, and hoping that your readers will figure that the regular updates will come right back once you've got enough donations.

If he's not updating because he's been sick, that's perfectly understandable, but if so, he should have waited till he had sufficient material to return to a regular posting schedule before begging for donations.

I guess what I'm saying is, I sure hope Onstad isn't in a situation.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 10, 2010, 04:53:10 am
If the dude was situified, though, in some kind of long-term manner, he would've spilled some general deets.

It would've served as a long term excuse, it could've certainly drummed up more sympathy for donations and...

You know, it would've allowed him to return with a fanfare and a backlog, eventually, instead of the half-hearted trickle we've seen the last few months.

He seems smarter than that, that's too many miscalculations on top of each other.

However, it DOES sound like the avoidance pattern of a dude in an anxiety/panic spiral, now that I think of it.

Because I wouldn't need to see that movie, Dottie, I've lived it.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 10, 2010, 12:00:11 pm
I think we have all been reading too much into this. I mean, you know the man is a god to me, but he has terrible work habits. "Two or three weeks' worth of new strips" is something he couldn't do if his life depended on it. So it's no surprise that his simply getting a cold makes it look from the outside like the whole enterprise has collapsed.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on September 10, 2010, 02:37:45 pm
"Two or three weeks' worth of new strips" is something he couldn't do if his life depended on it.

He couldn't do two strips?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: smick on September 10, 2010, 03:39:45 pm
He couldn't do two strips?

I'm unable to do two cans.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 10, 2010, 07:49:02 pm
Quote from: smick
I'm unable to do two cans.

It's okay, I'll cover you for that second one, repayable upon the day and date of the next Daisy Owl.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on September 11, 2010, 12:21:42 am
if speculate that were onstadt not to be onstadt that achewood would suck.

as it is, we have a story world that is excellent and leaves us wanting more.

it is too bad he's dying of syphilis, though.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 11, 2010, 03:55:22 pm
That was a pretty good strip.  Welp, see y'all next month.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Lister on September 17, 2010, 10:27:27 pm
Achewood is now a blog where the front page is a series of posts apologizing for not posting more often.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 12:00:39 am
apoblogizing!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2010, 05:58:26 am
I've been reading the archives and I kept finding myself mildly startled when I would see that the next strip was posted the following day. 
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 06:56:26 am
You know. A "Lasgana Cat" of Achewood would either utterly punish or be utterly worthy of punishment. No in-betweens at all.

Anyway, I'm glad there are people outside of this website vaguely agreeing with my frustration with the way the paywall seemed to end up strangling the strip. No matter what else you say, I think it has become clear that as funny as Achewood was and can be, it isn't just creative burnout for the material. Dude clearly fucked up the business model somehow in relation to his personal life or creative juices or all three together... somehow?

I kind of hope that if there is some unpaid side project he has been working on, it is actually a post-mortem that explains the rise and fall of Achewood as an idea universe and as a business. Even as the strip drifts away into nothingness, I find that the media studies classes in college are still left over in my bones and I want an explanation. I want some kind of narrative that explains the life cycle here. I would pay so much more for that than I would ever pay for a paywall or a poster.

Was it really just that he ramped up to it being his full time job too fast? Is it that the micropayments-and-merch model can be a full-time job for a kid couchsurfing from comic-con to comic-con but for an adult man or woman who wants to have kids and a house in a nice neighborhood, it is just less likely? Conversely, did he delay "selling out" and crossing over into safer more established media while the buzz-iron was still hot, like so many actors who were in one hot indie flick and expected the world to wait for them to polish their craft?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 07:07:41 am
Like, would it lay out like an indictment of and counterpoint to everything that Scott McCloud wrote after "Understanding Comics" with wild ideas about how to be a functioning paid artist just from the web works, never mind that McCloud came up as a printed comic book artist and made his big money writing illustrated non-fiction with which to trick kids into having unrealistic expectations from art school?

Are all of these media-analysis theories just levels of secondary bullshit to a simple thesis of a dude who was just creatively changed by being a parent and starting to slump toward adulthood? Does the scruffiness of getting by on selling shirts out of your garage just wear out faster for a dude who went to a rich people's college, spent small times with dudes who ended up fat on tech bubble stock options and clearly likes to golf?

Is this a sign that the internet is evolving the entertainment industry into a loose affiliation of a few outlier stars, a thin guild layer of people born into the business and a fuckload of part-timers and hobbyists, doing the work that used to go to craftsmen and craftswomen for essentially an honourarium and the love?

Did he just miss that point where people who make a life of this thing jump off to greener pastures at the crest of a publicity wave?

I'm fascinated. I'm fuck*ng fascinated. If only it wouldn't sound so rude, one of you more disciplined writers should pitch him co-writing the book on it. I'd fuck*ng buy it ten times.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2010, 08:07:28 am
I'm fascinated. I'm fuck*ng fascinated. If only it wouldn't sound so rude, one of you more disciplined writers should pitch him co-writing the book on it. I'd fuck*ng buy it ten times.

Dammit Mets, either you are a writer or you aren't one.  This is your baby, make it happen.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 08:20:49 am
I appreciate the sentiment, Paul, but I fear I got some of my own babies to birth before I get around to being a mid-wife.

Or dragons to slay before I can be a blacksmith? Not sure which analogy works better.

That or I honestly doubt I'm that kind of writer, a co-writer of other people's biographies.

That or I honestly doubt that he'd take such a pitch as anything other than an insult.

That or I'm a coward in goddamned near everything once the next day's sun comes up like some kinda of contrapositive vampire bitch.

(But you fuck*ng well know the title needs to be "The Corner of Dude and Catastrophe" and then a more straight-forward subtitle.)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Choop on September 18, 2010, 08:54:05 am
sack up and do it, authorized or not. at least it would make a hell of a blog post.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 18, 2010, 11:36:46 am
I appreciate the sentiment, Paul, but I fear I got some of my own babies to birth before I get around to being a mid-wife.

Um, yeah, LFM. So are you really in a position to throw stones about someone else's work habits?

Neither you nor Onstad need co-writers, you both just need to get off your asses and get some product out the door.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 18, 2010, 01:32:46 pm
What the hell are you talking about mike? He hasn't been posting behind the paywall either. It isn't the case that he has some finite amount of creative energy per day and he has been allocating all of it to his pay-per-view audience. He simply hasn't been posting anything. His business model is bullshit because he is begging people for money in two different ways and providing nothing in return. I wouldn't blame the subscription service itself for the failure of achewood any more than I would blame Onstad's lack of product.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 18, 2010, 02:50:13 pm
I like simple explanations better than these box in a box all in your head bullshit.

I bet he was building that screaming fort of his and slipped with the sawzall and lopped a couple of fingers off. We're all just waiting for him to finish physical therapy after getting 'em sewed back on and for the pain meds to get tapered down to the point where e can dictate some verbiage..

It's a nice thought but I doubt it. Once 'Stad gets started on pain meds nothing's getting tapered while his imported european pill-slave can still drop them in his yawning maw.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2010, 03:09:22 pm
All I'm saying Mets, is this.  Are you a writer or are you a pizza delivery boy or whatever it is you are doing for money?  You've been on this board for what, five years? and all this time you've been telling us you are a writer.  You supposedly wrote hundreds of pages of a massive novel then lost interest and abandoned it.  You gave us a lot of bullshit reasons why it was abandoned, but none of them made a whole lot of sense. 

I'm not saying this to be an asshole.  I love you and I want you to be happy.  You identify yourself as a writer so If you are a writer you need to write.  Get those ideas out of your head and onto a sheet of paper (or electronic equivalent) and put them out into the public sphere. 

To use a local colloquialism it's time to shit or get off the pot, dude. 

Peace.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: dejavroom on September 18, 2010, 03:16:13 pm
Um, yeah, LFM. So are you really in a position to throw stones about someone else's work habits?

Neither you nor Onstad need co-writers, you both just need to get off your asses and get some product out the door.

I want to kiss you. In the mouth, with my mouth.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 18, 2010, 03:39:12 pm
I want to kiss you. In the mouth, with my mouth.

Noun: Oralingus.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: miles on September 18, 2010, 04:09:33 pm
Hey at least LFM isn't not producing anything AND hitting us up for money.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 04:49:02 pm
I don't know what to tell you guys and a few girls. At this point in my life, I got enough self-confidence to half-fill a thimble on a good day. That's what it basically comes down to. I feel like I could deliever the Roy Baty speech from the end of Bladerunner except ending every sentence fragment with the words "and I fucked it up somehow".

What isn't beaten to shit by failing over and over and over again, failing at shit petty like film jobs and shit Really Real like trying my best to help my brother with his medical problems and getting thrown out of his girlfriend's house for my troubles, is beaten to shit by the fact that I'm over-educated in analyzing the kind of work I want to write and can only see the flaws in even the best things I do. The engines run but the shocks and struts are fucked and every bump in the road feels like it is gonna shake the rig to pieces. I'm tired of being bad at everything. I'm exhausted with failure.

If this makes me a hypocrite for trying to psychoanalyze the collapse of someone else's work that creatively brilliant for years and was by any measure a roaring success for a much more brief window in time, I don't know. On the one hand, it is the internet and the whole point of the internet is pissing in the wind about shit like that and maybe I'm being ridiculous trying to defend myself for it.

Or maybe I'm just making an autopsy of someone else's dreams because I'm sick of cursing into mirrors but the bile still has to go somewhere. Christ knows.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 18, 2010, 04:53:44 pm
Ayn has some knowledge for you about your situation, but you don't want to hear any of that so I'm not going to waste my time.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 05:00:52 pm
I actually appreciate your concern, Cap, thank you.

But the deeper I get in the pit, I end up with more empathy for the way life steps on everyone's throat like a fuck*ng boot forever, not less.

If this is a flaw in my wiring I dunno, but the more it hurts, the more I can feel everyone else's pain and feel like the whole show should be rigged to ameliorate this feeling for everyone.

Declaring myself an ubermensch responsible only to myself and my desires would only make me realize how shitty I'd be at the occupation of ubermensch.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 18, 2010, 05:06:10 pm
I think what we are doing here is having an impromptu Intervention for smets.

I hope you're not offended or bothered by this, smets, but I agree with the others re: you needing to commit to living the dream. (I also am intrigued by the Onstad book and my gut response is, "Oh shit co-writing is where I'm a viking where do I sign up," but as you say it's unlikely that 'Stad would be down with it.)

I say this as a generally timid and risk-averse person who fears failure more than death -- you gotta jump in. Being an unpublished writer is like being an "actress" who waits tables and goes to auditions in her spare time.

Getting published is gut-wrenching. It's terrifying and painful and nerve-wracking and awful, and when you get an acceptance letter it's a better high than any drug you can imagine. (Well, I dunno. Cocaine might be better, I never tried it.) Dithering around and not submitting work for publication is like refusing to fall in love for fear of getting your heart broken. No risk, no reward.

I am a busy lady, but I am also a good fuck*ng copy-editor. I have a brotherly affection for you, so I am offering right here and right now to read anything you send me and offer suggestions and feedback as often as you need it, free of charge. However, I do this on the following conditions: whatever you send has to be COMPLETE (whether it's a short story or a novel), and after I've marked it up and you've revised it, you have to submit it someplace for publication (even if it's just a non-paid literary magazine).

This is a thing I usually charge good money for, I am offering you hundreds of dollars worth of services for free in an effort to get you to *do* something with your writing. This is because I believe in you and I want you to be happy.

Also because I believe that all writing is collaborative. Behind every successful fiction writer is a supportive copy-editor or somesuch person (see also: Tabitha King) who reads endless drafts of a work before it's ready to put in front of a publishing agent's tender eyes. I have Pedro for this, and I don't know if your SO reads/comments on your stuff, but if you don't want me to read it please get someone, because editing your own work is incredibly difficult and you do not have to do it alone. And nothing helps you get over submission anxiety better than someone whose opinion you value saying, "It's excellent, send it in."

It's your work and it's your dream, but I think you're trying to do it in a vacuum, and that is sucking (sorry) the life out of you. There is a whole community of people here and IRL who support you and want you to succeed; let us help you and encourage you instead of looking at your shoes and telling us why you don't deserve our help. Are you emotionally damaged? Maybe, yeah even probably. Join the fuck*ng club. Healthy, happy people are terrible writers; stop using your pain as an excuse and start using it as a tool.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 18, 2010, 05:43:28 pm
Healthy, happy people are terrible writers; stop using your pain as an excuse and start using it as a tool.

I strongly disagree with the first part of that, but that's no reflection on the usefulness of the advice in the second part.

Here's my take on the situation: LFM, you say you are too good at analyzing the flaws in what you write. Well, presumably you can do the same to what everyone else writes. I am sure this means that you can find many published writers who are worse than you are. If they can get published, why not you?

So the question is, do you want to be better than everyone else, or do you want to be published? The former is probably impossible, but the latter sets a much lower bar.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: dejavroom on September 18, 2010, 06:01:20 pm
One writes, or one doesn't; there is no in-between. Eugene O'Neill had a pretty tortured life, and he gushed out play after play until he died (of course, precisely because of that tortured life).

Which shows that there are no possible excuses for not writing. Writing is organic and coterminous with life - something what happens to writing-inclined people that helps them sort out the world around them, - be this world happy, functional, dysfunctional, desperate... The material sign that will allow future generations to associate the idea of "writer" to your name will have to be some sample, even if modest, of written material.

It's rather simple, really: One writes, or one doesn't.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 18, 2010, 06:21:51 pm
LFM, I mostly like your contributions here (sometimes I skim, sue me). I do want to thank you, as was sort of alluded to above, for not asking me for money. Other than that, I got nothin'.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on September 18, 2010, 07:08:24 pm
I don't know what to tell you guys and a few girls. At this point in my life, I got enough self-confidence to half-fill a thimble on a good day. That's what it basically comes down to. I feel like I could deliever the Roy Baty speech from the end of Bladerunner except ending every sentence fragment with the words "and I fucked it up somehow".

What isn't beaten to shit by failing over and over and over again, failing at shit petty like film jobs and shit Really Real like trying my best to help my brother with his medical problems and getting thrown out of his girlfriend's house for my troubles, is beaten to shit by the fact that I'm over-educated in analyzing the kind of work I want to write and can only see the flaws in even the best things I do. The engines run but the shocks and struts are fucked and every bump in the road feels like it is gonna shake the rig to pieces. I'm tired of being bad at everything. I'm exhausted with failure.

If this makes me a hypocrite for trying to psychoanalyze the collapse of someone else's work that creatively brilliant for years and was by any measure a roaring success for a much more brief window in time, I don't know. On the one hand, it is the internet and the whole point of the internet is pissing in the wind about shit like that and maybe I'm being ridiculous trying to defend myself for it.

Or maybe I'm just making an autopsy of someone else's dreams because I'm sick of cursing into mirrors but the bile still has to go somewhere. Christ knows.

i want to have sex with this post.

also, i would buy the book you are wanting to buy too.  because the arc of onstadt would be cool.

of course i read the larry flint biography, too, and found that interesting, so, ok then.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 18, 2010, 08:42:20 pm
Quote from: dejavroom
It's rather simple, really: One writes, or one doesn't.

Oh, I write. I write every day all the time. With a few months break here or there, I've written something every day since... 1997. I got that down, the whole ten thousand hours thing, a dude is there. Watching television, writing and feeling sorry for myself, I got myself into Outlier territory on all three of these talents. I am a triple threat of things everyone thinks they are good at, no matter how good or bad they actually are at those things. I am also good at typing, using a telephone, using the internet and driving a car. I am a fuck*ng Renaissance dynamo at things that everyone believes they know how to do so they are valued by no one.

It is writing things of a length substantive enough to be invested where if it sucks, it is a personal judgement upon me. It has been years since I have written something that took more than a few days to toss off and seriously shared it in any way. Anything longer than that and I either stop before it is done or I look at the first draft and shove it in a  drawer or file folder ashamed of myself.

As for the rest of your-all fine and kind advice, gimmie some time to consider that. There is weapons-grade Family Drama about and I am not thinking clearly about anything.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2010, 08:51:56 pm
Y'know, I always find it easier to let other people kick the fuck-all out of me and my ideas than to do it my ownself. Because I kick way harder on me than any outsider. When I want a break I let other people take a crack at me.

I'm just saying, man. Let other people beat you to piss, 'cause if they're friends, real friends, they won't cut you any slack but they'll prolly find something good in there for you to build on as well...that you don't/won't/can't see. If they're good with it and you're good with it ain't nothing lost by running it past some stranger. Fuck that guy anyways.

This is good advice.

What isn't beaten to shit by failing over and over and over again, failing at shit petty like film jobs and shit Really Real like trying my best to help my brother with his medical problems and getting thrown out of his girlfriend's house for my troubles, is beaten to shit by the fact that I'm over-educated in analyzing the kind of work I want to write and can only see the flaws in even the best things I do. The engines run but the shocks and struts are fucked and every bump in the road feels like it is gonna shake the rig to pieces. I'm tired of being bad at everything. I'm exhausted with failure.

If you can see the flaws you can fix them.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on September 18, 2010, 09:23:16 pm
Some platitudes:

You can only be what you think you are.

The more you do, the more you can do.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Attitude is everything.

Use as you will.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 18, 2010, 09:25:45 pm
And here's a platypus you can use.
(http://blog.lib.umn.edu/jorge242/sweets/platypus.jpg)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on September 18, 2010, 09:30:02 pm
One more thing.  I think you should ponder the difference between "being a writer", "making a living by writing", and "being a respected author." because these are are widely different goals.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 18, 2010, 10:18:25 pm
And another thing, putting a first draft in a drawer is the right thing to do. Then you come back to it later and make it a second draft. I mean this metaphorically, of course, I am not suggesting you kill a lot of trees to print out a first draft when we have perfectly good computers to store that sort of thing on nowadays.

Nice platypus, Paul.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: dejavroom on September 18, 2010, 10:33:37 pm
It is writing things of a length substantive enough to be invested where if it sucks, it is a personal judgement upon me. It has been years since I have written something that took more than a few days to toss off and seriously shared it in any way. Anything longer than that and I either stop before it is done or I look at the first draft and shove it in a  drawer or file folder ashamed of myself.

So you don't write, then. That's perfectly fine; most people don't write. Why fix what ain't broke?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 19, 2010, 04:29:14 am
three things:

cocaine probably is better.

i will take yer money.

you should write brokowski.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 19, 2010, 05:30:04 am
I don't know jack about writing nor even really putting yourself out there in a dangerous way but I will say with regard to your current (and I'm sure very serious) family circumstances: I'm increasingly convinced that if you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you, so there's no point waiting for that moment when everything will be ok and you can get started.

You're a good man 'met, and at the very least you have a strong and entertaining voice, whether this can be parlayed into a career or a hobby or a periodically updated blog I think you should let other people know this too.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 19, 2010, 11:39:12 am
if you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you, so there's no point waiting for that moment when everything will be ok and you can get started.

This is maybe the truest thing anyone ever said on this board.

To follow up on what deja says... You know, it's OK to change your mind. Just because you used to want to be something at one point doesn't mean you have to beat your head against that idea for the rest of your life. I mean, we all have lots of ideas when we were young that turn out to be not quite what we thought. You might have wanted to be a fireman when you were a kid, till you found out that it doesn't just mean riding in a big shiny truck, it also means running into burning buildings for a living. There's nothing wrong with deciding, upon mature consideration, that that's not for you.

Same thing with wanting to be a writer. It might have looked good in whatever vision you had of it, but if the reality of it makes you miserable, there are a million other things a person could do with their life. And most of them pay better and have higher odds of reasonable success. So, you know, not being a writer is really an OK thing.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Harlock Hero on September 19, 2010, 02:04:42 pm
nt
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 19, 2010, 05:38:00 pm
C'mon Mike, Be Cormac McCarthy!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 19, 2010, 06:04:20 pm
i canned some folks.  this advice applies to all sorts of cares.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 20, 2010, 12:23:45 am
The very least you could do is make money for not working. You know, like that other guy.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: smick on September 20, 2010, 03:56:23 am
I like simple explanations better than these box in a box all in your head bullshit.

I bet he was building that screaming fort of his and slipped with the sawzall and lopped a couple of fingers off. We're all just waiting for him to finish physical therapy after getting 'em sewed back on and for the pain meds to get tapered down to the point where e can dictate some verbiage..

Oh man:  Onstad in a hospital somewhere with using a stick connected to a helmet to drag around copy/paste vectors of cats and putting out his life's work at a herculean snail's crawl, while elsewhere people on the internet are hell of making fun of his inability to post his life's work with any speed is the best saddest thing.

Quote from: Philippe
Noooooooo!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2010, 04:26:17 am
I got halfway through Smick's post before I realized he wasn't talking about LFM.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 20, 2010, 01:17:23 pm

It is writing things of a length substantive enough to be invested where if it sucks, it is a personal judgement upon me. It has been years since I have written something that took more than a few days to toss off and seriously shared it in any way. Anything longer than that and I either stop before it is done or I look at the first draft and shove it in a  drawer or file folder ashamed of myself.


Okay, Emily Dickenson, send some of that few-days stuff out and see if it's got wings, dude. Or at least send it over to your lady friend or me or somebody (anybody) for a read-through to tell you if it's worth pursuing.

Yeah, you've got family drama going on, I understand that. Take a bit more time if you need. But seriously, how long does it take to email me a copy of something you've already finished?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 20, 2010, 02:49:05 pm

No ifs, ands, buts or chocolate nuts. Shit or drop the fuck*ng subject, y'know.

This reminds me of a Thing my dad says: "If 'ifs' and 'buts' were fruit and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Also, "Yeah, and IF my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a stagecoach."
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 20, 2010, 03:01:45 pm
This reminds me of a Thing my dad says: "If 'ifs' and 'buts' were fruit and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Also, "Yeah, and IF my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a stagecoach."

She must be quite a large woman.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on September 20, 2010, 03:02:18 pm
This reminds me of a Thing my dad says: "If 'ifs' and 'buts' were fruit and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Also, "Yeah, and IF my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a stagecoach."

my dad would say "you are as useful as tits on a bore."

he has nice tits, though.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 20, 2010, 03:05:29 pm
She must be quite a large woman.

Not any more. She's been dead for thirty years.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2010, 03:49:50 pm
I woke up this morning wondering what's going on in that van.  It made me optimistic there would be a strip posted.  Sadly I was mistaken.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2010, 05:17:15 pm
But wait... I just noticed he is promising a strip this afternoon.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 20, 2010, 05:25:54 pm
He is such a tease.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: theinevitable on September 20, 2010, 06:10:48 pm
Quote
build one's own house out of one's hands

I like the idea that Cormac McCarthy lives in a house made of his own giant hands.

Quote
Noun: Oralingus.
This is one of the Achewoods that I didn't find funny at the time, but now I think back to it randomly and crack up.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2010, 08:09:24 pm
Now the message promising a strip this afternoon is gone.  The link begging for money is gone too.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 20, 2010, 08:18:13 pm
I still see them both.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2010, 08:42:53 pm
I still see them both.

Did you refresh your page?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2010, 09:21:14 pm
Okay, now it's back.  Stop this ride, I want to get off.  Ha ha haaa...
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 21, 2010, 12:31:54 am
Crikes man, put up a jokey page with Ray a'splaining how things have gotten slipped off your cracker so we can quit making shit up in our minds, y'know.

can
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on September 21, 2010, 02:55:32 am
The man who mentioned a sawzall got hissef a can.

My only other thing I want to offer as a failing lurker is this:  what if it ended up that Onstad's greatest achievement was indirectly putting a great writer in touch with his editor?   (Given that Onstad plays English like a piano and is fairly young, I'd expect more, but you never know.)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: theinevitable on September 21, 2010, 03:56:52 am
whenever I hear a particularly awesome piece of American English Vernacular, I think of Achewood.

which is weird. "Hey, black dude who works with me, you remind me of an internet cat."
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2010, 04:48:38 am
what if it ended up that Onstad's greatest achievement was indirectly putting a great writer in touch with his editor?   (Given that Onstad plays English like a piano and is fairly young, I'd expect more, but you never know.)

The great writer seems to have done a runner.  I think we may have scared him off.

It's okay Mike, we still love you even if you never write that great novel.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 21, 2010, 05:04:40 am
I ain't gone, I'm just...

I'm trying to tamp down a family argument that almost got me thrown out of ANOTHER place to live, which would make it twice in six months, and... while I think I'm making progress on that front, my grandmother's in her second day in the ICU. And we're still working on getting my car fixed after my girlfriend parked it in front of a library with the GPS on the dash and the inevitable smash-and-grab that inevitably greeted her when she came back out with the Twilight novella.

In the face of these predicaments, making like Albert Brooks in "Defending Your Life" is crushing enough, let alone actually working on writing.

I appreciate the offers of help and I might eventually follow through on them but, right now, feeling like I'm letting people down by not immediately engaging their kind offers and/or getting feelings of inadequacy piled on top of feelings of inadequacy by people who misread my personality as being spurred by negative reinforcement when there is nothing that motivates me less than having my ten thousand previous mistakes pointed out... these things are counterproductive to short and long term goals equally.

However, maybe this is the simplest explanation for Achewood: the author fucked up a little bit and fell enough behind where all attempts to dig out make him feel even worse because he can't fix it all immediately/without disheartening criticism/easily/without-secondary-setbacks and so he's just spinning further and further down a shame spiral.

Which, of course, makes me empathize with Onstad to the point where my internal quip "he only said Monday afternoon, not THIS Monday afternoon" is significantly less funny to me.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Choop on September 21, 2010, 08:13:50 am
omstrad just gave us a fuck you friday sans cartoon
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 21, 2010, 11:31:06 am
The flaw in the theory that Onstad feels bad for falling behind is that it assumes there's something for him to be behind on.  But since he's never even pretended to promise a particular update schedule, there's no evidence for any deadline or anything that he can feel bad about not meeting.

Rather I think we have to love his naive hope that over and over again he predicts he'll have something finished by "Monday afternoon," and he doesn't, and yet, next time, he still promises something "Monday afternoon." In a way it's quite charming.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 21, 2010, 11:53:57 am
Tomorrow: Chicken
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 21, 2010, 12:14:35 pm
PS. Negative reinforcement means rewarding the subject by removing an unpleasant stimulus. I don't think that's what you mean.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 21, 2010, 02:51:09 pm

I appreciate the offers of help and I might eventually follow through on them but, right now, feeling like I'm letting people down by not immediately engaging their kind offers and/or getting feelings of inadequacy piled on top of feelings of inadequacy by people who misread my personality as being spurred by negative reinforcement when there is nothing that motivates me less than having my ten thousand previous mistakes pointed out...

Just to be clear, my offer stands pretty much forever. There's no rush; do what you need to do. From these cheap seats over here, I can't tell if you're balking of if you're in the middle of A Real Thing, so I'm not gonna say anything else about it or nag you or anything. You know how to find me when you're ready.

Tomorrow: Chicken

I have started using "Tomorrow Chicken" as a metaphor for broken promises, particularly those used to placate or bargain.

"You always say you'll clean the kitchen before bed, but it's all just Tomorrow Chicken."

"That's the problem with politics today -- it's all Pork and Tomorrow Chicken."

"I swear I'll clean out the attic this week. I'm not trying to feed you Tomorrow Chicken."
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 21, 2010, 05:45:03 pm
sMets writing career is a tomorrow chicken.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 22, 2010, 12:43:26 am
Today I'm gonna refresh the site several times per hour checking if there is a comic or whether it still says "we return Monday." I like to think that my naive hope is charming as well. Instead of, say, idiotic.

The chicken is better tomorrow, right?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: theinevitable on September 22, 2010, 04:41:48 am
Quote
"You always say you'll clean the kitchen before bed, but it's all just Tomorrow Chicken."

Man, living with your SO seems really stressful.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: oball on September 22, 2010, 07:44:49 am
To be fair, Onstad didn't say which Monday.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on September 22, 2010, 10:11:18 am
I have started using "Tomorrow Chicken" as a metaphor for broken promises, particularly those used to placate or bargain.

The reason I said it is that I think that's exactly how stad uses it. He's so aware of his unreliable nature that he made up a joke about it years ago.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 22, 2010, 12:51:15 pm
This time he means it right?

Quote
We return "Monday" "afternoon" (which seems to mean Wednesday afternoon). Thank you for keeping us in your RSS feed. We have lots to polish and deliver.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 22, 2010, 01:03:49 pm
Man, living with your SO seems really stressful.

Half stressful, half sexy.

To be honest, this is an example I pulled out of the past, when we were first married and didn't have kids to fight about. He's much, much better about this than he used to be.

This time he means it right?


http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/primates/20753 (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/primates/20753)

 
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on September 22, 2010, 01:27:25 pm
I think you've finally hit on the explanation of Onstad's strategy that we've all missed. Why go to the work of updating regularly when you can instead depend on the power of intermittent reinforcement?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on September 22, 2010, 01:59:17 pm
I think we're a huge social experiment just waiting for the big reveal.

The only question now is, which of us is really Onstad?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: TripperDay on September 22, 2010, 02:06:37 pm
There's still nothing in the store except stickers and greeting cards. I don't think asking for money, then not having store inventory is a good model. Granted, he didn't ask people to buy stuff, but some people would be more likely to buy something after he asked for money. Maybe a few of those people will still give out of the goodness of their heart after finding nothing in the store to buy, but that's got to be a really low number.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2010, 05:14:11 pm
The strip is late, not because he needed two extra days to polish it up, but because he was doing something else, or doing nothing.  Can't be sure anymore.  I strongly suspect he's got a second unreported child that is dragging him down.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 22, 2010, 10:17:38 pm
I think he's just a west coast guy. From my experience, he is acting exactly how I would expect someone on the west coast to act. Asherdan is the exception rather than rule.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on September 23, 2010, 03:03:53 am
I wanted to get mad at the West Coast Guy bit but...I couldn't.

DAMN

That's cause you're a West Coast Guy.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on September 23, 2010, 03:09:02 am
I'll get mad. 

There, now I'm mad.

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: miles on September 23, 2010, 03:14:17 am
I think he's just a west coast guy. From my experience, he is acting exactly how I would expect someone on the west coast to act. Asherdan is the exception rather than rule.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: milhouse on September 23, 2010, 03:12:35 pm
Back to speculation info-Achewood tweet from Twitter
"   Posting a comic after two weeks of silence is like trying to impress your parents by punching a stranger.
about 5 hours ago via mobile web "
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 23, 2010, 06:37:27 pm
I think he's just a west coast guy. From my experience, he is acting exactly how I would expect someone on the west coast to act. Asherdan is the exception rather than rule.
HEY GODDAMNIT
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 23, 2010, 10:51:44 pm
Whatever guys, when I've been working for 3 hours and you fools are just showing up to work, returning my 8am phone calls at when I'm at lunch and then never available between the hours 3 and 4pm, you just look like a bunch of slackers. Get on an EST schedule and well talk.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 23, 2010, 11:03:49 pm
Whatever guys, when I've been working for 3 hours and you fools are just showing up to work, returning my 8am phone calls at when I'm at lunch and then never available between the hours 3 and 4pm, you just look like a bunch of slackers. Get on an EST schedule and well talk.

Yeah, let me know when you're on a fifteen-day, fifteen hour per day schedule, softie.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Choop on September 24, 2010, 12:01:15 am
livin in EST workin in PST = hell on social life, heaven on sleepin life
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: theinevitable on September 24, 2010, 12:47:00 am
In my music director position, I was always frustrated by East Coast people. I would call them and find they were already gone for the day.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on September 25, 2010, 03:04:59 am
Livin in PST bein asked to work in EST = fuck you, have another coffee and a shit in the mornin and quit leavin the office at 2.

You're right, though, let's be like China and have one big happy stupid time zone.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Lister on September 27, 2010, 06:05:24 am
Whatever guys, when I've been working for 3 hours and you fools are just showing up to work, returning my 8am phone calls at when I'm at lunch and then never available between the hours 3 and 4pm, you just look like a bunch of slackers. Get on an EST schedule and well talk.

(http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/12547633.jpg)

Sorry, what?  I was outside.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on September 27, 2010, 06:22:48 am
My dog just bit me. It makes it hard -- your dog biting you -- to worry about linear human workwhathaveyas,
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on October 09, 2010, 03:48:47 pm
Obligatory complaint after ten-day story drought.  Proceed.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2010, 08:47:26 pm
I have it on good authority that "we will finally get the cast out of the van and back to their proper places."

But, he didn't say anything about when...
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on October 11, 2010, 12:55:48 am
Could that be a euphemism, haven't the whole cast been 'in the van' for far too long?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 11, 2010, 01:00:43 am
Could that be a euphemism, haven't the whole cast been 'in the van' for far too long?

theyre so far back in the van that theyre getting [     ].

i was going to say rug burn, but NP isnt the "shaggin wagon" type.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 11, 2010, 01:30:16 am
Could that be a euphemism, haven't the whole cast been 'in the van' for far too long?
I think Chris Onstad has been in The Mystery Machine van for far too long, but thats a different story.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on October 11, 2010, 01:51:16 am
Damn west coasters, eh?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on October 14, 2010, 05:35:08 am
Obligatory complaint after fifteen-day story drought. 

Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: robot_god on October 14, 2010, 07:43:47 am
Somebody should put that guy in jail.  He should go to jail.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on October 14, 2010, 09:30:01 am
It's not as good as the Phillipe goes home arc but 'Highschool is OVER!' isn't a terrible line to end on.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 01:54:50 pm
I'm glad I don't read the comic anymore - all this waiting around would just piss me off.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: miles on October 14, 2010, 05:46:13 pm
The guy is getting to be the king of the dangling ends...

Dangling Ends...band name?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 14, 2010, 06:40:10 pm
Why not Full-Tang Skank?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 14, 2010, 06:44:23 pm
Achewood has become if not strictly bi-weekly at least certainly bi-weekly curious.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on October 27, 2010, 06:18:40 pm
Obligatory ten-day story drought complaint.  Delivered a day early because SHIT IS HECTIC YO
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 27, 2010, 06:37:11 pm
SHIT IS HECTIC YO

Yet you were still able to live up to your obligations.  Onstad needs to take a page from your book, fine citizen. 
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2010, 06:08:49 pm
Math is kicking his ass.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2010, 08:16:23 pm
Maaan, shit has just totally ground to a halt.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2010, 08:33:47 pm
Remember when we were all comic-readin' buddies, back in small times? Well, everything has to end eventually. We'll still see each other. It'll never be quite the same, but we'll still be friends. Plus, we'll always have Paris.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 28, 2010, 09:54:24 pm
The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board Football RULES!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on October 28, 2010, 10:38:07 pm
Code: [Select]

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Mth Avg Ann Tot
2001 23 22 21 22.0 66
2002 22 19 21 21 21 18 13 17 15 21 18 15 18.4 221
2003 18 17 21 19 19 19 16 16 19 23 15 23 18.8 225
2004 22 17 23 19 20 21 20 19 14 20 20 17 19.3 232
2005 18 19 19 17 15 17 18 19 17 19 18 14 17.5 210
2006 17 16 16 14 17 15 15 16 17 18 16 14 15.9 191
2007 18 16 19 18 19 18 18 16 14 18 16 16 17.2 206
2008 12 13 16 18 16 15 15 13 12 10 7 7 12.8 154
2009 2 10 11 11 9 9 10 10 9 8 5 9 8.6 103
2010 7 5 8 9 9 6 4 3 3 1 5.5 55

Just thought I'd update the sorry ass state of affairs.

Wow.  But is anybody out there asperger's/unemployed enough to put in work on looking at this at a per-panel level?  Not me.  (I'm not.) 

But just sayin', he has been making really long ones last couple years.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 29, 2010, 12:22:14 am
Wow.  But is anybody out there asperger's/unemployed enough to put in work on looking at this at a per-panel level?  Not me.  (I'm not.) 

But just sayin', he has been making really long ones last couple years.
lookin at you fanta
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Lister on October 29, 2010, 01:10:15 am
Mommy, did Onstad go away because of me?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2010, 01:31:16 am
No, son. He went away because he has a little problem with alcohol. And hookers.

He started drinking because of you, but the hookers could hardly be construed as your fault.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Doc on October 29, 2010, 10:42:31 am
Well, Lister did start wearing those tiny dresses.
The damn tease.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: theinevitable on October 29, 2010, 02:49:58 pm
did I really have a dream last night where he posted like 10 comics in a week?

...yes. yes I did. And they were great.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2010, 03:11:19 pm
did I really have a dream last night where he posted like 10 comics in a week?

...yes. yes I did. And they were great.
Do you remember any of them and can you give us summaries? At least it'd be something.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on October 29, 2010, 03:18:04 pm
in the mean time, we could choreograph an interpretive dance routine of onstad's life.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on October 29, 2010, 03:44:16 pm
FanFic alert in Touamb Sector 1!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on October 29, 2010, 04:37:16 pm
FanFic alert in Touamb Sector 1!

These are desperate times.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: R2DTrousers on October 29, 2010, 08:29:46 pm
We are the inchoate, stinking, hide-wrapped Fallen all cargo-culting up our own achewood cartoons from scraps of newspaper and flour glue.

Our Coming of Age ceremony is to live in the wilderness for weeks on no food, slapping a big rock with F5 on it.

The Tribal Chief sports a Chochacho medallion made of carved cow bone, and demands 'donations' of dogmeat from all the tribesmen to 'Keep The Server Running'.

Edit: I just realised this isnt the case!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on October 29, 2010, 09:20:54 pm
Edit: I just realised this isnt the case!

Why not? We can make this happen, people!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on October 31, 2010, 08:21:37 am
I just clicked on the tipjar link and it actually list the names of the people who have donated along with the price range they donated at.

He has 67 people who have donated at the $101-500+ level.  That's at least $6700 dollars right there.  Ad up the rest of the levels and I estimate somewhere in the area of $10,000 in donations.

That's a lot of money for a comic that updates once a month.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2010, 05:21:35 pm
I just clicked on the tipjar link and it actually list the names of the people who have donated along with the price range they donated at.

He has 67 people who have donated at the $101-500+ level.  That's at least $6700 dollars right there.  Ad up the rest of the levels and I estimate somewhere in the area of $10,000 in donations.

That's a lot of money for a comic that updates once a month.
I'd much rather donate here than there. Sorry, but there it is. (Of course, I've given him probably $50, and then bought another $200 worth of shit.)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: smick on October 31, 2010, 05:55:09 pm
Well, probably the easiest way to get money, would be to produce a product instead of panhandling holding a sign saying "Will Work".
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 06:05:36 pm
(http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/cleavon.jpg)

Photobucket is fuck*ng ass.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Limmo on November 01, 2010, 07:14:36 pm
Obligatory two-week lack-of-forward-motion complaint.  This will be my final complaint, as I am removing Achewood from my bookmarks and saying goodbye.  I will check back with Achewood in a year and enjoy the dozen strips I missed. 

Which doesn't mean I won't be checking up on you guys.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 01, 2010, 07:28:11 pm
subscribing to the RSS feed is easier than having or not having a bookmark.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 07:29:49 pm
I hate when I do something funny like post Cleavon Little's picture and the post it's in reference to gets stranded on the page before.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2010, 07:51:52 pm
I know. If the board can warn that there have been additional posts before you make a post, would it be so hard for it to warn you that your post is going to start a new page?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jaydub on November 01, 2010, 08:25:49 pm
subscribing to the RSS feed is easier than having or not having a bookmark.
My goddamn RSS feed does tricky things like listing 5 strips from 3 years ago, making me believe that there is new content.  I have no clue how this happens.  Currently appearing*: Circumstances of the Heart (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09112008); From the Pages of Gentleman's Quarterly (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09102008); Medical Discretion (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09092008); Patching Up a Friend (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09052008); This is Not a Strip! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09032008).

*Perhaps better known as
not contraindicated by Long Island Iced Tea and Crab Louie (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4637.msg124421.html#msg124421) (lprkn)
Julienne it on the Benriner (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4635.msg124373.html#msg124373) (dejavroom)
The ways we used to try to play God  (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4633.msg124348.html#msg124348)(wombat)
V.a.g.i.n.a Products MacGyver (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4626.msg124155.html#msg124155) (wombat - or her evil twin)
Electively throw up six pounds of tacos (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4619.msg123973.html#msg123973) (Cap'n Squeakers)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on November 02, 2010, 06:00:58 pm
subscribing to the RSS feed is easier than having or not having a bookmark.

no, it really isn't easier. it's just different.

in my instance, subscribing to an RSS feed would be counter to the purpose of me not checking achewood.com, through a bookmark or otherwise, for a year or two in an effort to build up some number of strips to enjoy reading in a timely sequence.  in my instance, the RSS feed would be a fuck*ng tease that occasionally prompted me to read a singular strip devoid of any context in its arc due to the ensuing number of units of time demarked as "not giving a shit anymore" which have elapsed like water dripping onto the face of a torture victim tied to a bench press bench and forced to watch achewood not update.



Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2010, 07:59:19 pm
Perry Bible Fellowship (http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF249-Memorabilia.jpg) updated.

Surely this shows there is still hope.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2010, 08:03:43 pm
Perry Bible Fellowship (http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF249-Memorabilia.jpg) updated.

Surely this shows there is still hope.

Did you watch the 3 videos?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2010, 08:05:58 pm
No. Do they tell me there isn't hope? Because in that case I will skip them.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2010, 08:38:48 pm
That's the second recent PBF update.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2010, 08:43:49 pm
I have a series of about 100 emails between Nick and I, due to an original art purchase I made (and we had a difficult time finalizing). He's quite funny in the emails as well.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2010, 09:11:56 pm
No wonder he doesn't have time to update if it takes him 100 emails to sell one piece of art.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2010, 09:18:22 pm
It was mostly my fault.

Actually, it happened several years ago. I was buying an original of one of his strips. Part of the emails are from him trying to get me to scan the image in so he could put it in his book (he hadn't kept a high quality scan).
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 05, 2010, 09:54:57 pm
Just for some perspective: There was exactly one strip in October. There were 3 in September. Those are 4 free strips in 2 months. No one can bitch about the supply of free strips, but how many paid updates did you guys get for your subscription fee? Has he shipped out any of the merchandise people have paid for? I think at this point its like when you forget to do something you promised for someone, and its been so long that it would be embarrassing to bring it up again and deliver it so late.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on November 05, 2010, 10:20:05 pm
Just for some perspective: There was exactly one strip in October. There were 3 in September. Those are 4 free strips in 2 months. No one can bitch about the supply of free strips, but how many paid updates did you guys get for your subscription fee? Has he shipped out any of the merchandise people have paid for? I think at this point its like when you forget to do something you promised for someone, and its been so long that it would be embarrassing to bring it up again and deliver it so late.

Which reminds me -- I did finish knitting your hat. I facebook-messaged you about it but you didn't reply -- I need your address so I can ship it out. I hope it fits? It fits me, but I don't know how big your head is.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 05, 2010, 10:22:39 pm
Also: http://i.imgur.com/Q4Jmf.jpg
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2010, 10:38:52 pm
Heh heh.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 05, 2010, 10:41:51 pm
Which reminds me -- I did finish knitting your hat. I facebook-messaged you about it but you didn't reply -- I need your address so I can ship it out. I hope it fits? It fits me, but I don't know how big your head is.
This situation has been resolved. I get a hat and the autism society of north carolina gets a donation. Kumbaya all around.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on February 02, 2011, 06:23:23 am
ok, did he quit his job of making comic books?
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2011, 01:50:26 pm
ok, did he quit his job of making comic books?

Apparently.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: oball on February 03, 2011, 12:02:57 am
Nah, if you look at the most recent strip you'll see that there's a panel for each month.  Achewood is still going, the next update will be another 12 panels on January 5th 2012.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on February 05, 2011, 05:54:15 pm
Another lame-ass chapbook on the pay side today.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2011, 06:51:46 pm
I emailed a while ago to ask if he had a new mailing address (the site still lists the San Carlos one), because I wanted to send him some encouraging fridge magnets. But I have never heard back. This worries me.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 05, 2011, 09:34:11 pm
ONE, ONE month without a strip.

Ah-ah-ah.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 05, 2011, 09:45:07 pm
ONE, ONE month without a strip.

Ah-ah-ah.

(http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kz7g7gDeH11qzp9kmo1_500.jpg)
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 05, 2011, 11:32:33 pm
Quote from: greenkoolayd
(http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kz7g7gDeH11qzp9kmo1_500.jpg)

YOINK
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2011, 12:12:32 am
Do or not do: there is no publishing doodles and undeveloped germs of ideas.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2011, 02:34:13 am
Do or not do: there is no publishing doodles and undeveloped germs of ideas.

Do not be scat drop stylze donkey balls, do not be that because it is not nearly not good but just straight up poorly, jonesey.


scat drop stylze donkey balls

scat drop stylze donkey balls


scat drop stylze donkey balls

That is one well-developed germ of an idea, if I've ever seen one. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend the rest of the night looking at pictures of unicorns and kittens, trying to get that horrifying image out of my head.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2011, 03:10:04 am
Ash gets a can for the high quality drunk posting.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: arkabee on February 08, 2011, 03:47:35 pm
i wonder what the depressed cat is up to,
or the eternally 5 year old otter,
or the drunken 3rd-rate-porn-making tiger.

sigh.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on February 08, 2011, 06:20:15 pm
Just as men have nipples, does there come a time for fanfic?

I really hope not, but I ask questions.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 08, 2011, 11:04:46 pm
Perhaps I will have to take it to the only place darker than even fanfic.

Parody songs.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: Dangermoose on February 12, 2011, 12:25:58 am
This might well be Todd for all we know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikH9ZRcF2Q
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 14, 2011, 04:59:47 am
I warned you sons of bitches, I WARNED YOU ALL:

TO THE TUNE OF THIS -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZbUOCqdSuw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZbUOCqdSuw)

Woke up this morning, what do I see?
Three thousand pop-up ads all askin' me
"Do you read comics?"
I'm like, "Yes, I do, sir."
"Well, here are ten anime tranny squirrel girls."

So I tell them, "No, you got it wrong, mister,
"Already got a squirrel and his name's Blister."
And they all laugh and say, "Where you been, sonny?
"We got Penny Arcade and P-Versus-P."

And I say, "Anime? No -- I'm not that debauched yet!"
They say, "Soon you will, boy; it's the rage with the kids now."
They got ten thousand strips about Dungeons and Dragons
Cafe Press shirts for sale
With minus-ten charisma

I'm in fuckin' Achewood,
I like to get stoned with a bear, eat some nachos, do some coding
And fly Airwolf.
It updates five or six times a year I guess
I like to dance like my ##### got ass.

So we talk and it turns out I hate assholes on couches
With video game jokes and far-too-hot spouses
And when they beg to me "Don't let Ray hurt me"
I say "I can't promise nothing"
"The dude has got no mercy."

And I say, "Anime? No -- I'm not that debauched yet!"
They say, "Soon you will, boy; it's the rage with the kids now."
They got ten thousand strips about Dungeons and Dragons
Cafe Press shirts for sale
With minus-ten charisma

I'm in fuckin' Achewood,
I like to get stoned with a bear, eat some nachos, do some coding
And fly Airwolf.
It likes to update seven times a year I guess
I like to dance like my ##### got ass.

(instrumental)

I'm in fuckin' Achewood,
I like to get stoned with a bear, cook risotto, do some coding
And fly Airwolf.
It likes to update seven times a year I guess
I like to dance like my ##### got ass.

I like to dance like I got some ass in my #####
... fly Airwolf
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2011, 05:22:04 am
clap - clap - clap...
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2011, 02:45:03 pm
Please, Chris Onstad, save us!
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2011, 05:06:39 pm
I tried to start a slow clap. I guess y'all weren't feeling it.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: miles on February 15, 2011, 02:08:50 am
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31M_MdSVxV8&feature=player_detailpage#t=108s) you go.

Oh wait, you probably weren't going for that kind of slow clap.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 15, 2011, 03:04:53 am
Parody music is more of a "grim nod" thing than a "slow clap" thing, I guess.
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: pmcd9 on February 15, 2011, 04:49:38 am
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31M_MdSVxV8&feature=player_detailpage#t=108s) you go.

Oh wait, you probably weren't going for that kind of slow clap.

Oh, yeah, that was it exactly. 
Title: Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 16, 2011, 06:52:15 am
I like smets' lyrics. That Ben Folds song seems like it was a throwaway goof, but the youtube comments proclaim its genius.