The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on September 05, 2010, 03:56:22 am

Title: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on September 05, 2010, 03:56:22 am
So, my beloved BSU Broncos are ranked 3rd in the nation at this point, and start their improbable (impossible?) run at the national championship in Landover, MD on Monday, against #10 VA Tech. This is the highest BSU has ever been ranked, and I believe the highest a non-BCS team has started the season at. Of course, BSU could go undefeated and not make the championship game (they've done it three of the last four years, although one of those years they lost their bowl game).

Eh, it's all a crapshoot at the start of the year anyway, but I'm pretty excited for this season (not least because of USC's difficulties). (An aside: I'm also jazzed about Eastern Washington's red turf.)

I thought I'd open this up to go with the pretend football thread and perhaps a potential pro thread (though that could be thrown in here as well). What say ye?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 05, 2010, 04:13:22 am
Syracuse is terrible at football!

Everyone else in the fanbase is fuck*ng delusional, think that beating Akron (and turning the ball over three times while you're at it) means they'll make a decent bowl this year!

Everyone except for me, as I have learned the deadly perils of optimism through my attachment to the Mets and all the educational heartbreak that comes with said attachment.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2010, 02:38:00 am
The one school I have a degree from beat the other school I have a degree from yesterday.  This seems to somehow happen every year.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 06, 2010, 03:00:10 am
The one school I have a degree from beat the other school I have a degree from yesterday.  This seems to somehow happen every year.
University of Phoenix has a football team?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2010, 03:11:18 am
University of Phoenix has a football team?

Yeah, and can you believe they got beat by Devry again?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 06, 2010, 03:26:05 am
"Gooooooooo Attendees!"
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on September 07, 2010, 10:32:22 pm
I was hoping TCU would lose to Oregon St so they would look better when BSU plays them in a few weeks. One win over a ranked team, and especially the first game of the season, will be hard to get much credit for.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 05:46:08 pm
I want my 16 team playoff, so anything that embarrasses and emphasizes the incongruity of the current system is my friend.

If they haven't been embarrassed enough already they ain't no amount of embarrassment gonna make any difference at all.    The only thing their gonna notice is if you stop sending them truckloads of money.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2010, 05:49:02 pm
Though I am not a huge college football fan, I think I prefer the eight-team playoff model more.

I dunno. Just seems like it maintains the value of winning your conference the most, while still opening up the field to all the teams with a reasonable claim.

Holds onto the value of the regular season games more.

Still. 16 team would still beat the hell out of this mess.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2010, 05:22:36 am
The BCS can eat my fuck, quite frankly. I know we're going to get fucked on this deal.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2010, 01:55:25 pm
The BCS can eat my fuck, quite frankly. I know we're going to get fucked on this deal.

Did he just say "eat my fuck?" (http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-fear-bassist-derf-scratch,43756/)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on September 17, 2010, 02:51:26 pm
BSU just doesn't have enough quality opponents left, unless OSU pours it on. Also:

27 players have racked up 30 arrests at the University of Florida during Urban Meyer's tenure running the Gators football program. Sure he has brought home 2 national titles, but if this pattern of behavior continues, how long before the Gators are labeled a "dirty program"? One thing is for sure, Urban Meyer is fed up with this type of behavior. "I try to evaluate everything about our program," Meyer said Thursday. "After a while, enough is enough. If there's something we can improve on, we're certainly looking into that. It's like if our graduation stinks, then we've got to improve that. If there are other issues in a program that's our job to get it better. People making stupid mistakes, that's something we've got to correct. It's not a dirty program. We follow the rules and some guys make mistakes and we've got to correct those mistakes. We follow the rules. We do it the right way at Florida and we have to do a better job with correcting some of the people making mistakes."

That's not very Tebowish.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on September 18, 2010, 02:59:16 pm
Nevada might be tougher for you guys than Oregon State. Conference games can be tougher by nature, and I didn't watch the game but they handled Cal very well last night. Oregon State is probably better but Cal hasn't seemed terrible so far. However, it's still early, and even though it hurts me to say it, the Pac-10 is looking kinda weak so far. I'm an Oregon fan, and even though we've dominated this far, we haven't played anyone that really matters yet (sorry to any Vols fans?). If we don't continue to dominate when we start playing conference games next week we're not going to look good at all.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on September 18, 2010, 05:38:16 pm
The Pac-10 (Pac-12) has fallen like a rock in recent years. I'm sort of loving it.

We might actually get a game out of Wyoming today. I'm thinking our season is not going to be the walk-through we had planned.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on October 06, 2010, 06:23:00 am
So my team overtook your team in the rankings, but I don't feel very secure about it. I wonder if mainly it's because you guys struggled a bit with VA Tech, who have been really inconsistent this year. I had thought Stanford would be our toughest home game of the year, but Arizona is looking to be even more difficult (and I'm like 90% positive I get to go to that game). We play Cal and Oregon St on their turf, and that's always a challenge. It's going to be one hell of a season. For you guys Nevada is looking tougher and tougher, should be a good game.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 07, 2010, 11:26:07 pm
Yeah, I knew Oregon was going to jump us, although they only beat one ranked opponent (and they played PSU? PSU sucks). We're in that middle section of just having a hard time being able to schedule competitive opponents, unless we go to them every time. It's hard to be in a conference full of unranked teams and maybe luck into two or three ranked opponents each year by virtue of them playing lights-out ball. Before the season, OSU and Nevada were unranked - so we could have finished the season with one quality win, the first game of the season, and been undefeated but not even in the top five.

I need Nevada to be rolling well by the time we get to them. They don't really have anybody else to play other than us, so they might still be unbeaten by then. We sort of got burned by playing Va Tech early, but before the season started they looked like they'd be good. If we end up beating three ranked teams, you'll hear a lot of complaining if we don't get consideration for the BCS championship (albeit not from me). We've never played more than one ranked team during the season.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 07, 2010, 11:30:13 pm
The system will find a way to bone non-BCS teams unless they are undefeated and there are less than two undefeated teams in the power conferences of the BCS.

It isn't a good thing but it is more or less a thing.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 07, 2010, 11:36:11 pm
I'm not quite as rabid as some of my fellow alumni. If another team plays six quality teams as opposed to our usual one, and they only lose one game, fair enough. It's deliberately not a scientific process, and I understand it (though I don't agree with it being a good solution). Seriously, though, if BSU plays three solid teams, ends up undefeated, and they end up sitting five or something, people will be howling for blood (and it's Idaho, so you'll get militiamen).
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 09, 2010, 09:19:21 pm
Fuck Nick Satan right in his ear. I hope the ol' ball coach punches him in the dick.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 09, 2010, 10:49:31 pm
Gamecocks might just pull this off - 35-21 with two and a half left, and Alabama out of time outs. #1 gets beat by #19, they gotta drop five spots or so I think. This season is about to get fun.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on October 09, 2010, 11:33:00 pm
Shit. Can't wait to see the rankings tomorrow, although even though Oregon is leading by a decent margin right now I fear we might get dropped a rank or two.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 10, 2010, 09:57:47 pm
EIGHT FIRST-PLACE VOTES! Holy fuck!
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 17, 2010, 04:43:24 am
It is on, much like Donkey Kong.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 17, 2010, 06:56:48 am
Oh man, OU-BSU rematch.  Yer going down this time.

Also:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzbPHDZM7M  haha.


Edit:  the righteous OU, not those oregon ass bags.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on October 17, 2010, 08:35:54 am
I predict Oklahoma gets their asses handed to them by Mizzou.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 17, 2010, 11:05:10 am
Even when I am not caring about college football, I am always rooting actively for a clusterfuck that points out all the flaws of the BCS and/or subverts it with an outcome totally unintended by its creators.

Go that thing!
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 18, 2010, 12:37:40 am
Okla-fuck*ng-homa. You've got to be kidding me. I work with three different OU alums who know this is dead wrong.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 18, 2010, 03:18:06 am
Missouri?  hahaha

(i dont really like ou, i like osu, but i went to ou, so...)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on October 19, 2010, 10:48:04 am
Just checked in on Auburn again.  Let's see... looks like we still have time in the schedule to lose to LSU on a freak play / in OT, beat Ole Miss and Georgia convincingly in time to have a chance at the SEC West (Alabama having beaten LSU the following week), and then get crushed at Alabama.  At least I don't have to live with the damn flags on the car windows any more.

It's kind of weird living in a place where college football doesn't matter at all (I mean at all, in any way).  Less stressful, though.

Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2010, 02:44:37 pm
Just checked in on Auburn again.  Let's see... looks like we still have time in the schedule to lose to LSU on a freak play / in OT, beat Ole Miss and Georgia convincingly in time to have a chance at the SEC West (Alabama having beaten LSU the following week), and then get crushed at Alabama.  At least I don't have to live with the damn flags on the car windows any more.

It's kind of weird living in a place where college football doesn't matter at all (I mean at all, in any way).  Less stressful, though.



It's an interesting experience, isn't it? I go to work, and my boss and I and like 10 - 20 other people just talk about football all week long. Then I come home and I don't know anyone who gives a shit about it. College, pro, Pop Warner, any of it. Strange.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on October 19, 2010, 02:48:00 pm
It's an interesting experience, isn't it? I go to work, and my boss and I and like 10 - 20 other people just talk about football all week long. Then I come home and I don't know anyone who gives a shit about it. College, pro, Pop Warner, any of it. Strange.

It's just something to talk about, you know?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2010, 02:48:33 pm
It's just something to talk about, you know?

You take that back.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on October 24, 2010, 03:50:36 am
I predict Oklahoma gets their asses handed to them by Mizzou.

Damn, should have put some money on it.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 24, 2010, 04:43:14 am
Sorry, OU always beats Missouri I thought?

Mainly bummed about OSU still.  And mainly that the game between them means nothing now.


See, you went to OU, only after you went to OSU and thought it was an awful place, though maybe more fun.  I couldn't buy records, mushrooms or coke there, unlike Norman.  So you root for OU all year and then secretly hope they lose to OSU, making victory all the more sweet.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on October 26, 2010, 01:02:50 am
It appears I must revise my earlier statement to predict a loss this week..  Auburn isn't the underdog any more, strike one.  We're playing on the road after an emotional win, strike two.  We're playing a Houston Nutt team while leading the SEC West, strike three.

I guess having two undefeated seasons without anything to show for it does things to my psyche.


(FOOTBALL DOESN'T HAVE STRIKES ANYWAY YOU BIG STUPID)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 26, 2010, 01:37:23 am
Quote from: Lister
(FOOTBALL DOESN'T HAVE STRIKES ANYWAY YOU BIG STUPID)

What if we called them "Favre Interceptions", though?

Three of those and you're usually out.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2010, 04:11:19 pm
What if we called them "Favre Interceptions", though?

Three of those and you're usually out.

Favre Interceptions is some kind of oxymoron.

I hope Oregon loses to USC, and it hurts me to say it. I hate USC. I hate Lane Kiffin. I hate Pete Carroll. I don't much like Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart. I really, really do not like USC, and I live in Oregon so I oughta be pulling for 'em, but fuck 'em.

Also, sorry, but I'd like to see Auburn lose. I think this isn't BSU's year, and I think it'll take another deal where BSU is undefeated but a one-loss team goes to the big game to get things on track and have a bit of hue and cry involved to make some changes.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2010, 10:39:53 pm
I think BS_U ought to join the next round of PAC-10 expansion and get to play a big-boy schedule instead of bullying the toddlers at the kids table for their left over drumsticks.

Nahh man, I'm just pulling your chain.

I'm pulling for another TCU/BS_U undefeated year with another one loss team jumping over both of them again.

When they get matched up again in a bowl they refuse the invitation in my dreams.

Pac-10 doen't want none of that, but I'm with you with the other, as I said. Things won't change until they have to. They're thinking about making another spot AQ only, and right now there are 3 non-AQ teams in the top 8. Clowns.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2010, 10:46:53 pm
I like when people get mad about the idea that the government might look into the BCS thing. Um, these are state schools, many of them. These are public dollars being discussed.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2010, 05:51:25 pm
No help from USC, Ole Miss, UNLV, or Air Force.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 01, 2010, 03:14:31 am
But hey, Iowa and Nebraska.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 04:01:02 am
Fuck TCU with their one win over a ranked team. That's fucked.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 01, 2010, 05:18:45 am
If TCU beats the #5 team (my alma mater, though I'm an Oregon fan due to family connections and stuff) this coming weekend they're going to look even more solid. Even if Utah wins, things will get interesting. They should win out if they survive this Saturday, and likewise with TCU. Auburn should lose to Alabama, if not sooner due to some freak upset, so we could end up with three undefeated teams with only one AQ in the bunch. Last year, Alabama, Cincinnati and Texas, along with BSU and TCU, went undefeated into the bowl games, right? And I hate think about it but Oregon still has two tough away games and Arizona at home. If Oregon loses it'll either be BSU and Utah or BSU and TCU as the two undefeated teams. It will be interesting to see if any of the stronger one-loss schools surpass either in the rankings, which could easily happen, and maybe deservedly, though one can't really know until some changes are made. That could be what it takes to piss enough people off to make some changes. Or not.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 01, 2010, 05:55:35 am
Meanwhile, Syracuse keeps stumbling into teams even more lost and fucked than they are and seem poised to back into a shitty bottom-tier bowl, despite coming into the season looking like a three or four win team. Gooooooooo absolutely terrible Big East, I guess.

Is there still an International Bowl? Toronto might convince themselves they could get the SU students to truck up there for a shitty bowl game.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 05:53:07 pm
1) Oregon
2) Auburn
3) TCU
4) BSU
5) Utah

If TCU beats Utah, TCU ought to be #1. They won't be. My prediction: Oregon or Auburn'll get beat, Alabama will win out, and the undefeated team will play Alabama for the title, leaving two non-AQ teams undefeated and on the outside looking in.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 01, 2010, 07:14:31 pm
My prediction: Oregon or Auburn'll get beat, Alabama will win out, and the undefeated team will play Alabama for the title, leaving two non-AQ teams undefeated and on the outside looking in.

Well, since Auburn plays Alabama, and Alabama must beat Auburn to win out, you're predicting that Oregon will play Alabama for the title. Looks like I'm going to Glendale in January. Woot!

I'm not making predictions yet, but honestly my preference would be an Oregon - BSU championship game. Fuck the SEC. Also, we can't lose to you guys three times in a row, right? Short of that, Oregon - Utah, so we can show them what's what before they join our conference, though that's outside of an outside chance. But man. Too early, too early. Too early to be thinking these thoughts.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 07:22:58 pm
I might have to stop participating in this thread. I'm starting to feel like all I do is hate hate hate.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 01, 2010, 08:01:23 pm
Yeah, sorry. There was quite a bit of Bronco baiting in my post. I'll tone it down.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2010, 08:12:13 pm
I was just going to respond "it never seems to be too early for the BCS to job my team".

Well, with some more colorful language.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2010, 04:02:03 am
I might have to stop participating in this thread. I'm starting to feel like all I do is hate hate hate.

All I have is hate for the BCS.  I'm in favor of every scenario that makes the BCS look foolish, even though it doesn't matter one iota to the powers that be.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 03, 2010, 04:07:03 pm
All I have is hate for the BCS.  I'm in favor of every scenario that makes the BCS look foolish, even though it doesn't matter one iota to the powers that be.

Yeah, me too.  I've said this before, but I'll say it again until things change:  Big-time college football is the only sport I know of, at any level, where you can win every single one of your games and not be the champion.  That's bullshit.  If the Boise States and TCUs of the world absolutely cannot win the title under any reasonable circumstances, then send them to I-AA or something.  Quit stringing them along.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on November 03, 2010, 04:09:50 pm
If the Boise States and TCUs of the world absolutely cannot win the title under any reasonable circumstances, then send them to I-AA or something.  Quit stringing them along.

Or, you know, ditch this retarded system.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 03, 2010, 04:15:03 pm
If the Boise States and TCUs of the world absolutely cannot win the title under any reasonable circumstances, then send them to I-AA or something.  Quit stringing them along.

They were I-AA when I attended.

It'll change. They can't have three non-AQ teams in the top five and just act like it isn't happening. They'll have to include another conference in the AQ or something. It won't change for a few more years, though. And of course, that'll just mean that the next non-AQ school will be on the outside looking in.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 07, 2010, 06:39:12 am
As long as there are two undefeated teams in the big conferences, no smaller conference team is cracking The Championship That Ain't A Championship game.

Unless, of course, no one goes undefeated upon which point the smaller conference would have to hope everyone else had TWO losses.

If Auburn, Oregon, TCU and Boise all win out, the BCS title game is Oregon/Auburn.

As fucked up as that is.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 07, 2010, 04:21:09 pm
Oh heck, we all have come to terms with that. What pisses me off is that LSU is going to hop over us, since it beat Alabama. If Auburn and Oregon lose, then things will be interesting only in terms of seeing who gets the opportunity to screw us over.

On the basis of TCU beating Utah, I really feel that they should be in the top two with Auburn. I don't think Oregon belongs there based on their record, in comparison to the other two (only beat #9 & #24). Auburn has better wins.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2010, 02:24:59 pm
Auburn still has the SEC title game coming up.  If they win that, I bet they leapfrog.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 02:56:41 pm
Listened to the chuckleheads on the BCS show last night. They kept agreeing that BSU had more and harder games coming up, but it wouldn't help them. It's weak that the complaint is raised about the quality of the competition on non-AQ schedules, and then when there are good games, they just get discounted. Seriously, TCU smoked the #5 team this late in the season, and all they get is fond looks and a pat on the head? And I'm not sure that the Big East and ACC really deserve auto-bids. Not any more than the WAC or MWC, anyway.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 03:02:09 pm
I was hoping one of them would be Blue and try to ride his motorcycle into the crowd.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 08, 2010, 05:20:06 pm
I WENT to a Big East school and I don't think they deserve an auto-bid.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2010, 05:53:45 pm
Auto-bids are a transparent money-making scheme. If the big conferences are so good, they'd always earn their spots anyway.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 15, 2010, 09:56:21 pm
Hey, we might catch TCU!

However, this is pretty classic:

#1 Oregon barely beats unranked Cal (conference game, hmm) and gains in the BCS.
#2 Auburn struggles a bit against unranked Georgia (conference game, hmm) and gains in the BCS.
#3 TCU barely beats unranked SDSU (shitty conference game, hmm) and drops in the BCS, but is still in front of BSU.
#4 BSU dismantles Idaho (shitty conference game, hmm) and gains on TCU, but actually drops in the BCS.

Wha? And actually, TCU is getting fucked over this deal. Only one game since they blew out #5 Utah and the voters have forgotten all about that. I apologize for bringing politics into this, but it reminds me of tax breaks for rich people.

Eh. Hopefully we won't go to the Fiesta bowl again. I'm seeing predictions of Sugar vs. Auburn. I'm cool with that.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 15, 2010, 11:24:51 pm
Jebus, that Oregon game was painful. I thought they were going to get dropped to #2. At least Auburn came back convincingly. I think the issue with TCU is that Utah didn't belong in the #5 spot, as we're learning. I mean, one touchdown against TCU just made TCU look all the stronger, but, I mean, one field goal against Notre Dame? I can't believe they're still ranked. And then with TCU's poor showing against SDSU, they don't look nearly as tough. Doesn't explain Oregon, I know, except that Cal is a PAC-10 team. I think BSU is really getting boned here, as much as it hurts to admit. But I think Auburn will lose and BSU has a real shot at the championship game. Oregon has two very tough games ahead of them too, and could just as easily lose. Oregon State is looking terrible but that game is in Corvalis and it's an intense rivalry. But anyway, we have a great few weeks of football ahead of us.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2010, 11:26:36 pm
Someone pointed out to me that Texas was still in the top 25 with a 4-5 record.  So, it's not just the top of that poll that is fucked up.

Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 16, 2010, 12:13:40 am
I think Texas has been been out for a while, but Texas A&M is ranked.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 16, 2010, 12:21:54 am
I think the issue with TCU is that Utah didn't belong in the #5 spot, as we're learning.

I can't argue that, but I gotta give 'em more credit than a team with a close win over an unranked opponent. As you say, though, there is some fun football left, and that's what it is all about.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on November 16, 2010, 01:35:45 am
I think Texas has been been out for a while, but Texas A&M is ranked.

He said they were 22, but he also was drunk so I don't really know.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 16, 2010, 05:17:20 am
Wha? And actually, TCU is getting fucked over this deal. Only one game since they blew out #5 Utah and the voters have forgotten all about that. I apologize for bringing politics into this, but it reminds me of tax breaks for rich people.
Quite the opposite. Utah losing to Notre Dame confirmed what a lot of people suspected--that they're not all that good. That probably also hurt TCU in the computer rankings.

Edit: I see that Miles already covered this.

On the other hand, SDSU actually has some votes and thus is ranked 34th in the BCS, so perhaps calling them a shitty opponent isn't fair.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 16, 2010, 08:58:24 am
Quite the opposite. Utah losing to Notre Dame confirmed what a lot of people suspected--that they're not all that good. That probably also hurt TCU in the computer rankings.

Edit: I see that Miles already covered this.

On the other hand, SDSU actually has some votes and thus is ranked 34th in the BCS, so perhaps calling them a shitty opponent isn't fair.

Well, they're not good enough to be ranked fifth anymore, that's true. However, that argument goes around in circles for days. And actually, you're right - SDSU should maybe be ranked higher. But it becomes such a metadiscussion, which leads us back to the playoff thing. Because quite frankly, they ranked Utah #5, and that's the team TCU blew out. And Utah only lost two games. Actually, the way the folks in charge love Notre Dame, I'm sort of surprised that Utah suffered so much for a loss to them.

I don't think any of it correlates very well to still having OU and Auburn one and two, and having them go up in the numbers. That's sort of bullshit.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 16, 2010, 01:02:26 pm
I don't think any of it correlates very well to still having OU and Auburn one and two, and having them go up in the numbers. That's sort of bullshit.

I totally agree.

It's also really too bad Utah and BYU are leaving the MWC, because if they stayed and the conference also gained BSU, Nevada and Fresno State... Can conferences drop teams very easily? Maybe lose Wyoming and New Mexico to make it an even 10, and you'd have one hell of a conference, possibly too strong to not be an AQ.

But again:

But it becomes such a metadiscussion, which leads us back to the playoff thing.

All roads lead to the playoff thing.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on November 17, 2010, 03:21:44 am
Not having playoffs makes no sense*.  It'd suck to have someone make it out of, say, the SEC and lose in the first round to some triple-option weirdo offense, but hell.  Deciding a national championship based on opinion, even though we kind of mitigate that opinion now, is hella dumb.  Having the Big East get an automatic bid when their conference leader isn't bowl-eligible yet is hella dumb.

In re: Cam Newton, I don't care if he's ineligible now.  USC "won" a championship that 13-0 Auburn didn't get to play for and they had an ineligible player.  If we win and it gets taken away in 2013, fuckit.  I'd rather have that than another Sugar Bowl win.

And, having said 'win' multiple times in this past sentence, I have now guaranteed a loss to Alabama and/or South Carolina, and it will be moot.

*unless you are one of the conferences guaranteed to get eleventeen billion dollars a year.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2010, 06:05:43 am
The fact that Syracuse has beaten four Big East teams this year proves that the Big East does not deserve an auto-bid.

(I am very honest when my teams are awful. It is one of my lesser-known Things.)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 17, 2010, 05:05:49 pm
I was hoping for a super-conference out of TCU, BSU, Utah, Fresno State, BYU, Nevada, etc - they'd be at least as competitive as the Big East or ACC. Of course, it would eliminate a lot of the bitching and hating, which would remove eyes from ads, so the BCS won't let it happen.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: jaydub on November 17, 2010, 05:47:38 pm
With a real playoff, the last fictions that college football is played by "student-athletes" and not by underpaid professionals would evaporate.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 12:10:10 am
With a real playoff, the last fictions that college football is played by "student-athletes" and not by underpaid professionals would evaporate.

Another reason why it won't happen.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 19, 2010, 12:29:53 am
Ah, I dunno. I think that's just a side benefit.

I think if the big schools all got the eventual long-term added profits from a playoff system right up front, the potential short-term dip in funds being the only reason they aren't in the playoff business already, they'd jump on it like jackals.

They'd find some other way to continue the farce of the "major college football/basketball player as amateur". They always do.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 02:19:28 am
The rest of them are trying to do something very difficult at the highest level available to them...and the pot of gold for them is the degree they can get out of it or just plain old having a smoking college time of it.

I seem to remember you and I talking about this before, but it may be my imagination. My (admittedly somewhat limited) experience is that a lot more than 2% of those folks think it's going to work out for them.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2010, 02:05:27 pm
Yeah, my example math up there has it at 4%, but even if it's as high as 10%, so what? It's a ridiculously small minority of the total group.

In fact, let's say it is 10% of the athletes that are viewed as blue-chip difference makers worth a recruiting violation or three...and 5% of those are getting the attention of the "financial advisers" and "training experts" kooking to pimp them to the next level...the vast majority of the issue here lies well outside of the athletes and with the real people and institutions that stand to gain from them.

We are in total agreement here. One thing I never understood is why I could work for the uni I attended and get paid for it and they couldn't.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 20, 2010, 07:52:45 am
Looks like TCU will probably get jumped. That was a beat down.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: jaydub on November 21, 2010, 04:45:00 pm
I was stunned by the thrashing that Stanford handed to the Bears yesterday.  Has Cal's star actually fallen that far?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 21, 2010, 11:49:43 pm
Didn't quite make the leap, but close.

Also, what the fuck is Jeff Sagarin's problem? He has BSU ranked behind Arkansas! Is he getting his computer ranking from an Osborne?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 22, 2010, 05:49:08 am
There are people who believe that a college football team can only be good if it is from the Deep South.

It is sort of the "intelligent design" of sports.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 04:00:49 pm
Up until last week he had BSU around 14th. That guy is fucked.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on November 22, 2010, 05:59:54 pm
Up until last week he had BSU around 14th. That guy is fucked.

You know it's just a mathematical algorithm, right?  He's not doing any handicapping other than plugging the scores into the formula.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2010, 11:10:50 pm
You know it's just a mathematical algorithm, right?  He's not doing any handicapping other than plugging the scores into the formula.

Well, there's something like eight computer scores, and his is the only one that ends up like this on a consistent basis, and it's based on his algorithm. So fuck him. I mean, you could make an algorithm that said nonstandard turf color = -14 points, and it'd just be an algorithm.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on November 23, 2010, 01:16:00 am
Well, there's something like eight computer scores, and his is the only one that ends up like this on a consistent basis, and it's based on his algorithm. So fuck him. I mean, you could make an algorithm that said nonstandard turf color = -14 points, and it'd just be an algorithm.

Yeah yeah, everybody's against you.  Nobody takes you seriously.  Blah blah blah. 

If they were any good they'd be in a real conference.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 23, 2010, 04:17:51 pm
All the rest of you are just afraid!

I actually like it this way, sort of. This way all the big conference fans can say things like that, and then they get beat, and it's even worse for them than losing to a "real" team.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2010, 03:54:50 pm
Boise State president responds to Ohio State slam (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-ohiostpresident-bcs)

Quote from: BSU President Bob Kustra
"The formula these days for BCS teams is get seven or eight home games, play one non-conference game against a team from another BCS league, schedule three or four patsies and try not to leave the state if you can help it."

Quote from: OSU President Gordon Gee
Gee said that it was some of the quirkier moments in the BCS which made it endearing. He cited 2007 when Ohio State lost its final home game of the season to drop to eighth in the BCS rankings, then benefited from a long series of upsets to make it into the national championship game, where they lost to LSU 38-24.

“You know, it’s a mystery,” Gee said. “We were No. 1 then No. 11 then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery.”
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2010, 04:50:00 pm
Do they offer a Ph.D in Oversensitivity at Boise State, or is that just a Masters program?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 25, 2010, 04:53:15 pm
It's not actually a major.

Oversensitivity is a concentration within the more generalized Butt-Hurt doctorate programme.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 12:32:06 am
I wish our president handled things with aplomb the way our coach does. That guy is fantastic.

Also, nice game by Auburn.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on November 27, 2010, 06:01:17 am
I had the opportunity to be in the stadium for that game, in one of Alabama's boxes.

I'm glad I wasn't, because I would have to have killed someone round about 21-0, and then I'd have missed the comeback.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 27, 2010, 07:06:33 am
Holy fuck.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2010, 07:13:07 am
Yeah, that one... uh... had to hurt. Sorry.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: CortJstr on November 27, 2010, 03:24:21 pm
So I just learned that I, as the only person in my family who truly hates college football, was the only one aware that the Rose Bowl is not the championship game. My mom, dad, and grandma all insisted that the Rose Bowl was for 1st place.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2010, 03:40:05 pm
That one stung a little.

Nevada has got quite a rushing offense there.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on November 27, 2010, 09:31:23 pm
So I just learned that I, as the only person in my family who truly hates college football, was the only one aware that the Rose Bowl is not the championship game. My mom, dad, and grandma all insisted that the Rose Bowl was for 1st place.

It is every few years, isn't it?  Doesn't the championship rotate between the Rose, the Fiesta, the Orange and the Sugar or something?  Or did I just completely make that up?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 27, 2010, 10:16:26 pm
It's a totally separate game now, but it used to rotate, I believe.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on November 27, 2010, 11:54:22 pm
I think every couple of pages on this thread I need to step in here and remind that it's all BS.  Until there is a playoff there is no championship anywhere.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 12:55:47 am
Location rotates.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 05:05:42 am
Ought to be some interesting numbers out on Sunday. Can Stanford go to 3?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 28, 2010, 05:40:25 pm
Also, another Wisconsin blow out. But I don't think Stanford can jump TCU because TCU has been so dominant. I'm thinking Wisconsin might end up at 4 with Stanford at 5. They are basically neck and neck right now so it could go either way.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 28, 2010, 07:04:43 pm
I'm just thinking comparing the relative strengths of their single losses. However, the other rankings are out and, as you predicted, no one vaulted TCU. BSU sitting 9 or 10, behind one or two 2-loss teams, depending on the poll. Of course, sometimes the BCS numbers look a bit different. Well, Oregon-Auburn ought to be fun to watch.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on November 28, 2010, 09:28:51 pm
I thought BSU would have landed right behind all of the current one loss teams in the top 10 at 8, but they definitely should be ahead of Oklahoma, and if there were justice should be higher than 8. I expected Nevada to put up a fight and for it to be a close game, because they are really solid this year, but switched it off at the half fearing another BSU blood bath (I like Nevada quite a bit for some reason... I like Reno quite a bit for some reason). I did catch the 4th quarter fortunately, after I checked the score online. Because Nevada is so new to the national scene they aren't getting a lot of credit and I think that's hurting BSU, which is unfair but not surprising.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2010, 07:10:56 pm
Yeah, by rights the ranks shouldn't have ended up where they are, but that's what happens when you're in the WAC.

Also, TCU is headed to the Big East, so that move to the Mountain West doesn't look quite as good for BSU.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 05, 2010, 07:16:24 pm
So, Nevada to the Kraft Fight Hunger bowl, and BSU to the Las Vegas bowl (oddly, a bigger payout). That stumble against the Pack cost 16 million bucks.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 06, 2010, 01:19:05 am
Are they playing Utah? That ought to be a bloodbath. Wonder how easy it'll be to get tickets. I'd love to go to Glendale to cheer Oregon on but I'm sure tickets will be damn near impossible to get.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 04:25:18 am
StubHub's got 'em from $43 to $383. I'm off work, but it's the day before I fly back, so I don't think so. Plus I kinda hate Vegas anymore.

Looks like worthwhile seats are at least $175.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 06:23:16 pm
Rock on to Kellen Moore for being in the running for the Heisman (although he is as close as he is going to get).
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 08, 2010, 01:20:20 am
Yeah, I'd love to see LaMichael go home with it, but is there any doubt? Think any of the voters will be swayed by the reports even though Cam Newton was cleared?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 03:16:02 am
I think it's Cam's to lose. I kind of think the Heisman is just another fucked up college football thing (best player? or best QB/RB?), but he played some crazy football this year.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 08, 2010, 06:23:23 am
I was just thinking today, what would, say, a linebacker have to do to win it?

But yeah, that fucker's one hell of a quarterback.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2010, 03:04:43 pm
I was going to mention that the last non-QB/RB I remembered winning was Tim Brown, and I wasn't far wrong, but Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson are in there, too (of course, all three played WR, so it's not like it changes things a whole lot).

93% of the winners are QBs or RB/HB/FB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heisman_Trophy_winners).
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: jaydub on December 08, 2010, 06:05:24 pm
A fullback won it?  Must have been back in the day.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 09, 2010, 12:10:29 am
Urban Meyer retires (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-florida-meyerresigns). Again.

Last year the Sugar Bowl, this year the Outback bowl. Juuuuuuuuust missed going out on top.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 09, 2010, 02:19:51 pm
Another one of those stories that ESPN can stretch into 20+ minutes on Sports Center, when "Urban Meyer retires again" is pretty much all I needed to know about it.  Slow sports news day, I guess.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on December 09, 2010, 09:53:35 pm
I am the proud owner of tickets to the BCS championship game AND a hotel room.

Knowing Dr. James Andrews is pretty nice sometimes.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 09, 2010, 10:45:15 pm
I am the proud owner of tickets to the BCS championship game AND a hotel room.

Knowing Dr. James Andrews is pretty nice sometimes.

That's big time right there.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 10, 2010, 12:27:15 am
I am the proud owner of tickets to the BCS championship game AND a hotel room.

Knowing Dr. James Andrews is pretty nice sometimes.

Motherfuck! I can't find a single ticket for less than $800 right now.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 10, 2010, 12:47:08 am
Motherfuck! I can't find a single ticket for less than $800 right now.

I sure am glad BSU didn't make it.

Motherfuck is good. Motherfuck works.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 10, 2010, 01:45:08 am
Do I REALLY want to sit in Yankee Stadium at December 30th, just to cheer for Syracuse?

REALLY? Pay MONEY to freeze to death?

Hm.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 06:04:14 pm
Mark Cuban looking at funding playoff system to replace BCS (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5924399).
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2010, 10:38:10 pm
You know, this is the kind of thing I would want to do if I was stupid wealthy. I mean, sure, I can say all those nice things about feeding starving children and shit, but something for me would be like this. Not only that, but he's actually done well with the Mavs - in marked opposition to the way Tiny Dan has horribly fucked Washington.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2010, 11:02:02 pm
Oh man.

The things I would do with stupid money.

Oh man.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Choop on December 16, 2010, 11:33:08 pm
two chicks at the same time?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2010, 01:20:11 am
I would travel the country sponsoring the weirdest minor league promotions of all time.

It would be like Bill Veeck and Harold Hill from "The Music Man" had the world's awesomest baby.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 01:23:39 am
two chicks at the same time?

That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Choop on December 17, 2010, 05:25:18 am
Damn straight, man. I've always wanted to do that. I figure if I were a millionaire, I could hook that up. Chicks dig guys with money.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 17, 2010, 01:01:39 pm
I know a guy can hook it up for six hundo, lemme know.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 04:24:53 pm
Damn straight, man. I've always wanted to do that. I figure if I were a millionaire, I could hook that up. Chicks dig guys with money.

Well, not all chicks.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Choop on December 17, 2010, 06:08:53 pm
Well, the type that double up on a guy like me do.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2010, 07:43:40 pm
Bing.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Choop on December 17, 2010, 10:35:17 pm
that was fun, nabu. glad somebody got the reference, at least. the rest of you? you need to go bone up on your office space.

(heh, i said bone)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 17, 2010, 10:39:11 pm
Six times?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on December 18, 2010, 12:50:09 am
that was fun, nabu. glad somebody got the reference, at least. the rest of you? you need to go bone up on your office space.

(heh, i said bone)

I got it.  For once I just didn't feel compelled to do something about it.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 18, 2010, 12:55:57 am
I got it, I just actually assumed EVERYONE got it and so it wasn't a thing to mention.

Like saying "oh those two are starcrossed lovers" and someone saying "oh, that's Romeo and Juliet, right?"

Seems universally understood.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 18, 2010, 01:12:38 am
I didn't, and I deserve the reprimand. I saw it once, years ago, and definitely need to bone up.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 18, 2010, 01:49:24 am
I got it.  For once I just didn't feel compelled to do something about it.

You may be in the wrong place. But if it's only this once, I can probably let it slide.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2010, 03:50:13 am
I got it too, but I didn't want to embarrass those that didn't.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 18, 2010, 04:45:06 am
You're a gentleman, Paul.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Choop on December 18, 2010, 06:10:26 am
(sorry folks)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 18, 2010, 06:45:54 pm
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2010, 01:37:08 pm
What AW said.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 23, 2010, 04:38:48 am
It ain't the championship or the Rose Bowl, but well played Boise State.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 23, 2010, 08:36:31 pm
Solid game, although they looked a tad bit shaky early. Good for them.

Too bad the Pac-12 took Utah.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on December 25, 2010, 02:08:20 am
I'm so fuck*ng annoyed by the whole PAC-12 business for so many reasons.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2010, 02:53:28 am
I'm so fuck*ng annoyed by the whole PAC-12 business for so many reasons.

How do you feel about the Big-11 or whatever the fuck it is?
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 01, 2011, 05:29:41 pm
How do you feel about the Big-11 or whatever the fuck it is?

I missed this somehow. 12 now right? Wait a minute. So Nebraska and Colorado are leaving the Big 12, Colorado going to the Pac-12 (fuck that noise) and Nebraska going to the Big 10. So the Big 10 will now have 12 teams and the Big 12 will now have 10 teams? Is that right, or am I missing something, like some other movement? I guess the average between the two is the Big 11. Also, this logo:

(http://sharing.myfoxchicago.com/sharekmsp//photo/2010/12/13/BTC-Stacked_20101213114230_60_45.JPG)

I'm not the first to point it out, but I'm not crazy about it.

Anyway, I guess I don't give a fuck. College football to me is the Pac-12 (goddamnit!), the MWC, the WAC, and then all those assholes to the east. Ha, I kid. But it was nice to see Washington win the other night (I grew up in Seattle so even though Washington is one of Oregon's biggest rivals and it hurts when Oregon loses that game, I still like them). Nebraska looked terrible.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 02, 2011, 04:43:57 pm
Congrats TCU. That was one hell of a game, maybe the best Rose Bowl I've ever watched, and I imagine among the best ever.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 04, 2011, 05:34:59 am
Part of me was really pulling for VA Tech tonight. I really like Tyrod Taylor. I also don't like Stanford, but it's nice to see such a decisive PAC-10 bowl victory (conference has been short on those past couple years or so). And while I don't like Stanford at all, Luck's an amazing player and a good kid, nice to see him do so well. But man, Elway. Too many shots of him on the sideline and I hate that motherfucker. In fact, I think I would have been happier with a VA Tech victory just to see the look on Elway's stupid face. But yeah, good job Luck, well deserved.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2011, 02:57:50 pm
That was the old way. If they aren't going to change to a playoff, they have to make obscene amounts of money in other ways.

I needed Wa Tech to win to make BSU look better, not that it really matters now. As a buddy and I were saying the other day, now all these shitty conferences are going to act like they're good, because they did so well in the bowl games, of course against shit competition.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2011, 10:40:22 pm
Sugar ought to be good (pulling for Ark). Cotton will probably be a blowout, but I hope LSU loses. I need Nevada to win, of course. As I said elsewhere, I'll go for Oregon, and the Rose was the best of the rest - you missed a good one.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 05, 2011, 04:41:44 am
Sugar ought to be good (pulling for Ark).

At the very least they're making a game of it. Glad I tuned in for the 2nd half. I'm even gonna have a beer. Fuck studying.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2011, 02:49:04 pm
Dangit. Well, I was only against Ohio State because of their elitist AD. Hey, but Sid Gillman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Gillman) went there, so they got that going for them.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: jaydub on January 05, 2011, 03:10:04 pm
Hey, but Sid Gillman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Gillman) went there, so they got that going for them.
On the other hand, their NFL alumni seem to universally refer to the school as "THE Ohio State University", which seems worthy of parody.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2011, 03:24:41 pm
On the other hand, their NFL alumni seem to universally refer to the school as "THE Ohio State University", which seems worthy of parody.

At my last job we had a board member who was a professor at Ohio who refused to sign off on anything unless the word "the" was present. Our copy-editors took it out anyway and he'd call to complain. Every single time.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 05, 2011, 05:20:29 pm
Hey, I remember Sid Gillman, he coached the Oilers for a couple of seasons. 
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2011, 05:44:44 pm
I bet Sid wasn't a douchebag about saying "the".
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 10, 2011, 04:03:12 am
I need Nevada to win, of course. As I said elsewhere, I'll go for Oregon

They're looking pretty good. I like Nevada. Western pride and all that, but I also really like Reno as a town, and Chris Ault is the shit.

Man, I have these exams coming up, and I've tried to study, today, yesterday, over the last week, but too much football on my mind, probably was able to study 5 hours all week. With the Miracle on Turf yesterday (have you all seen The Run? if not or even if so click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpwRSiUbic) for a more complete picture of it and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQULIUXZst8) for just the play w/ the announcers scrubbed), the Nevada game and most significantly Oregon/Auburn tomorrow night. So nervous and excited about it, have never anticipated a game more than this.

Sports hasn't ruled my life this much since 2005, starting with the Seahawks handing the Colts their second consecutive loss in a previously undefeated season (I was there!) up through the rigged Super Bowl, and of course the 2001 baseball season.

But as far as the Seahawks go, even if by an act of God they were to go on to win the Super Bowl this year, it would still be a disappointing season because we lost to Denver. It's only a family rivalry, but I hate the Denver Broncos more than any other team in any sport, professional or amateur. In fact, if the Broncos would have gone to Super Bowl XL and lost to the Seahawks, that would have been the greatest day of my life.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2011, 01:34:30 pm
(have you all seen The Run? if not or even if so click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpwRSiUbic) for a more complete picture of it and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQULIUXZst8) for just the play w/ the announcers scrubbed)

I had not seen that.

Dayum, that was great.  The stiffarm to Tracy Porter alone ought to get the guy into the hall of fame.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2011, 04:07:50 pm
Clearly Marshawn picked up a star (http://vodpod.com/watch/5303288-marshawn-lynch-mario-brothers-run) before making that run.

(Even non-sports people should watch this.)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: jaydub on January 10, 2011, 04:54:16 pm
Genius.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 11, 2011, 05:25:58 am
Well. Shit.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on January 12, 2011, 03:08:42 am
Oh my god.  That was amazing.  I had to fly in and come straight to work, but still... that was incredible.  I don't have the words.

I have to figure out the best way to get pictures up somewhere.  Here is a bad way (that will probably die soon):

(http://i54.tinypic.com/fjmfsy.jpg)
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 12, 2011, 03:16:35 am
You lucky, lucky bastard. Would have been awesome to be there. I imagine it was a great time.

Also, I will hate you (Auburn) for another few days, and then I'll get over it. It was a great game.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Lister on January 12, 2011, 03:32:48 am
The best analogy I've heard is the Red Sox when they beat the Yankees down 0-3 and went on to win the World Series.  We've been the second team in our own state for a hundred years, and suddenly we beat that team, on their home field, from being down 24-3, and we go on to win the national title for the first time in 53 years, after an amazing, nailbiting, heart-stopping game.

Oh my god.

Yelling our stupid nonsensical cheers that I know by heart.

Singing "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger" over and over with thousands of other people.

Saying "War Eagle" and high-fiving random strangers.

It doesn't seem real yet.

But that picture is totally honest and it's exactly what it felt like.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 12, 2011, 02:19:40 pm
Amen to that.  Looks like a hoot.  Treasure the championship, they don't come around all that often.

I understand why a lot of people don't like the idea of publicly funded stadiums, and if you aren't into sports, hey, that's fine.  But one thing I think gets overlooked in the stadium debate all too often:  Watching sports can be fun.  They make people happy.  Lister and his fellow Auburn fans had a reason to be just overwhemingly stupidly happy, which is all too rare in this big mean world of ours.  I think that's worth something.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2011, 05:10:17 am
Nice deal for you and congrats. I recently had a pretty serious discussion with someone about what it means to have your team win a championship (for folks that it is important to). I'm just glad that I follow one team that has won it all.

Did anyone else see the final rankings? If so, did you see the ESPN fan poll (http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings)? Amusing, to say the least (scroll down to the third poll).

Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on January 13, 2011, 01:16:08 pm
Congratulations TCU you are our National Champions.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 13, 2011, 02:32:03 pm
A fan-poll ranking is such a joke they shouldn't even do it.  It's all about what fan base can mobilize the best.  Penn State #15?!
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: miles on January 13, 2011, 02:40:14 pm
Ha. Well Auburn fans are too busy celebrating and Oregon fans are too busy licking our wounds to worry about any ol' dang internet poll.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2011, 03:48:32 pm
I was surprised BSU mobilized enough folks to get third.
Title: Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 13, 2011, 05:13:59 pm
Well, there's not much else to do out there.