The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on December 18, 2011, 09:37:56 am
-
I thought I'd make a thread where we can post about things we are having trouble interpreting on the internet, or just things we are maybe enjoying having a WTF feeling about. A place where we can be all WTF and IDK without fearing wrath and judgement. Because 4Chan sort of scares me in an inexplicable way, and yeah, sure I can look things up on knowyourmeme.com (http://knowyourmeme.com) if I know what I'm looking for, but what if I don't know the name of the thing? Or if the explanation doesn't actually get at the main question I always find myself asking: why?
One thing I've come across that I just can't comprehend is the use of rage comics (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/rage-comics). No matter how much explanation, my brain just can't compute them. I'm thinking maybe they appeal to a subset of people who are challenged by subtle human expressions or something? Any way, I don't get the appeal. They "why" of the "what."
On the flip-side the recent increase in My Little Pony memes on the web is something I really welcome. I guess, really, like all good meme's things that catch on do because they're already out there in the cultural zeitgeist, and well, for me Pretty Ponies have a strong base because back when I was working in sexual health a few years ago, when a fem lesbian I knew mentioned she was into pretty ponies and then I sort of ran with it and started basically referring almost everything back to pretty ponies as a sort of coded way of making jokes that only a small circle of my coworkers got. I'd sing the Pretty Pony theme swapping out certain lyrics to express frustration or annoyance or a sense of the crazy going on around us. Pretty Ponies are a good way of talking about gender identity too, or maybe identity in general. Anyway, this all escalated to where one of my coworkers brought in a bunch of Pretty Ponies he found in a discount bin. At some point on a break I transformed my pretty pony using a Sharpie and some scissors into a tattooed, pierced and mulleted "Sexual Health Pony" which became a sort of mascot. So jump to this year, and I'm seeing pretty ponies everywhere and sending off links to all my old buds from that job and just feeling like somehow, out there, there is an order to the universe.
-
Your use of rage comics link doesn't work and I don't know how to fix it because I have no idea what that is.
Other than that I heartily approve of this thread.
-
The only place I've ever seen rage comics are in places that explain what rage comics are.
-
The only place I've ever seen rage comics are in places that explain what rage comics are.
I've seen rage comics around, though I can't exactly recall where. Troll Face (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trollface-coolface-problem) was the first one I saw around that had me irked enough to try figure it out. Mostly what it's taught me is that some people are dicks on the internet, which I already knew.
Another meme I really like is Sad Keanu (http://sadkeanu.tumblr.com/archive) that's some fun times.
-
I used the "laughing guy" face in one of my blogs one time. I like some of the stock rage comic images, I think the "WTF?" expressions are spot-on. But actual rage guy bothers me.
-
For some reason all the "X"-comics are much funnier to me than I feel they ought to be (in the aggregate).
-
For me the joke with rage guy etc is that the response is so disproportionate, or when it's a real story the opposite to what actually happened. In reality the idiot at burger king got your order wrong but by the time you noticed you were home so you sucked it up and moved on but on the Internet, Rage Guy because hyperbole is funnier.
This (http://thepirata.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/kill_whale01.jpg) is a similar type of joke to me.
-
I'm still not sure I understand Rage Guy.
-
Me neither, not really. Or Troll Face/Cool Face (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SXBirhH7s&feature=player_embedded) for that matter.
-
Rage Guy is just shorthand for "This really pisses me off."
Troll Face is kind of stupid. Half the time he's deployed, I think it's because the "troller" is losing the argument or what have you, and falls back on "I was trolling you the whole time! Ha ha! I am cleverer than you!" No, you're just a dick.
-
Yes, it's something I tend to see as "this arguement is over, and I won because [troll face]. I've not seen it used for legit trolling, mostly just in childish breakdowns in communication, which is what makes it more puzzling.
-
I'm glad I don't hang out in places where that sort of behavior is acceptable. God Bless TOUAMB.
-
I'm old enough to know better, but I do really enjoy the rage comic format, including troll face (or 'cool face' as he is "officially" known).
This one has been my long-standing favourite: http://imgur.com/pSdIX
-
Canned. I've never seen that one, and I quite enjoyed it.
-
yeah, I like those comics way too much. Unfortunately, I cannot find any of the ones I like anywhere. Hm.
-
I like rage comics (http://www.reddit.com/r/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu/). Sure, they're are a bunch of crappy ones, but there are some good ones too. It's a way for people who can't draw to make comics using a standard set of iconic drawings which represent various emotions. What's wrong with that?
-
yes, exactly.
-
I love Keenan Cahill. (http://www.youtube.com/user/BeenerKeeKee19952#p/u/0/CQejgiqJv2w)
-
I loveKeenan Cahill. (http://www.youtube.com/user/BeenerKeeKee19952#p/u/0/CQejgiqJv2w)
That was fun. I really enjoyed that new Flo Rida track.
-
I will never understand why Nyan Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4) caught on.
While, on the other hand, I find myself singing this song when doing something particularly mindless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMXYE_50Ts)
-
My kids have discovered "Friday" and have been singing it around the house. I can't even stand to find a copy to link here for those who may have missed it, so horrible is this monstrosity of a pop nightmare.
I guess it will help the girl learn the days of the week, at least.
-
I won't lie, that song really grows on you.
-
I won't lie, that song really grows on you.
why find out?
-
It made the Fluxblog survey of the best of 2011.
-
I won't lie, that song really grows on you.
Like a tumor.
-
I know I posted this before but I like what Colbert does with that song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPCwSXOUvCk&sns=em).
-
more like "Fuck you, 'Friday' "
-
I won't lie, that song really grows on you.
It's terribly true.
While, on the other hand, I find myself singing this song when doing something particularly mindless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMXYE_50Ts)
All day. All fuck*ng day. Thanks.
-
All day. All fuck*ng day. Thanks.
Awesome. Now if you can just re-jig your brain so that it only pops up in your brain when idiots cross your path you'll be set.
-
I know I posted this before but I like what Colbert does with that song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPCwSXOUvCk&sns=em).
Okay, that rocked!
-
All day. All fuck*ng day. Thanks.
Everyone talks about how that hoss is retarded, but nobody mentions that he is also horribly deformed.
-
Yeah, but he's doing really well with his deformity, I mean look how quickly he's able to move along. Is he singing "herp-a-derp" in a muffled retard voice, or is it something else?
On a related note, I also enjoy the derp face (http://www.google.ca/search?q=derp+face&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-78FT5PtAYLDgAfy99xM&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=816#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=derp+&oq=derp+&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=17001l17001l0l17501l1l1l0l0l0l0l203l203l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=160f95e0e71db161&biw=1280&bih=816)meme.
-
I will never understand why Nyan Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4) caught on.
While, on the other hand, I find myself singing this song when doing something particularly mindless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMXYE_50Ts)
So not clicking.
-
On a related note, I also enjoy the derp face (http://www.google.ca/search?q=derp+face&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-78FT5PtAYLDgAfy99xM&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=816#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=derp+&oq=derp+&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=17001l17001l0l17501l1l1l0l0l0l0l203l203l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=160f95e0e71db161&biw=1280&bih=816)meme.
Hmmmm Derp Derp squish.
-
Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, my kids have now discovered PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4l)!
That meme is older than either of them, I do not understand, how did they even.
Why.
Why.
Why me.
Edited just to fix the link. Although why I needed to do that, I do not know - the phrase alone has it ringing in everyone's ears already.
-
I like to think of you in the back yard, tall G&T, listening to that for hours at a time.
-
This goes here for sure: Thunder LOL Cats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndA69KiffJE)
-
That was can worthy.
-
My kids were big into Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04) for a while. Whenever we drive by the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell 'round the way, one of us is sure to bust it out.
-
My kids were big into Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04) for a while. Whenever we drive by the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell 'round the way, one of us is sure to bust it out.
What (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4260796570/)
-
Jamaica Avenue!
-
Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, my kids have now discovered PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4l)!
I enjoy the hell out of that banana.
Relatedly: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,6162.msg181204.html#msg181204
-
I won't lie, that song really grows on you.
A bit late but that immediately made me think of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNpdG4F9mw)
-
Cat Breading, people. Hell yes. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/cat-breading-meme-infuriating-cats_n_1263737.html#s676286&title=This_Isnt_Over)
This is something I recommend all cat owners try. We had a few slices of stale bread that I was going to get rid of, and my hubby thought it was time we bread the cats, so why not? Each cat reacted differently. Many laughs followed. Unfortunately none of our cats were willing to stay still for a good shot. This is the least blurry of all of them:
(http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/SideShowMelanie/BabyBreaded.jpg)
-
If this is not already a thing, I certainly hope it becomes one.
-
Man you got a nice house.
-
Ash gets a can and I'm not even going to deduct one for not caring about Nabu's instrument.
-
I think, on some level, we all care about Nabu's instrument.
Mainly because we all wish we could play our own half as well (and as often) as he does.
-
I think, on some level, we all care about Nabu's instrument.
Mainly because we all wish we could play our own half as well (and as often) as he does.
What? I never get to play yours!
Oh, right. Well, you can play mine. All y'all can.
-
I've been enjoying the Hitler Reacts (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/downfall-hitler-reacts) meme lately. I guess they're old news to some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMUvgce_5s) but I only came across this meme recently and it's been good for a few chuckles.
-
Here's a fine ditty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMBxnxWiNQ&feature=related) my hubby needed to show me tonight that plays nicely on the meme.
-
The original of that is peculiar.
-
I agree. I'd almost say the original is better given the dude's facial expressions.
-
i dont know what this is all about. i think its funny, but i dont know why.
(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1euxcw8hO1qf976ro1_500.png)
-
Medically speaking, that duck is partying.
-
more strangley humorous nonsense:
(http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxb9p6L7L1qbj88vo1_500.jpg)
(http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxb9p6L7L1qbj88vo2_500.jpg)
-
See, that makes no sense at all, but it amuses me and I know I could not do it as well, if at all. It is nonsensical but in a very specific way. I am fascinated by this phenomenon.
-
Makes me think of Spaghatta Nadle (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/spaghatta-nadle.html)
-
you found a dolan comic that is not about rape: everyone wins.
-
What the hell is "I just met you and this is crazy" and why am I seeing it so much right now?
-
It is apparently some pop song that is somehow related to Justin Bieber. I asked Pedro about it the other day, but when he got to Bieber I stopped him.
-
Related. And awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0AhrY9GjA)
This reminded me of my high school girlfriend. She made a scrapbook of furniture we should have in our house when we get married. I told her that was a little weird, so she burned it in her back yard.
-
It is apparently some pop song that is somehow related to Justin Bieber. I asked Pedro about it the other day, but when he got to Bieber I stopped him.
Here is a non-bieber version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic
Oddly, old people at the gym have been yucking it up about how catchy it is. Give it a few seconds and picture the geriatric ward rocking it on the treadmill.
-
she, jimmy fallon, and the roots cover the pop song in question using instruments one would find in an elementary school classroom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEsPhTbJhuo).
-
Here is a non-bieber version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic).
I hope y'all watched that all the way through to the end.
I liked it. It's cute.
-
using instruments one would find in an elementary school classroom.
Needs more recorder.
(https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkRdPnIVm-pPEn6jR7sj3sjJtG52P4r4DLvl9ifZIVZkmXy5ltMQ)
-
if you watch the second guy from left (next to ?uestlove), you'll see him duck behind jimmy's head and then you'll hear a recorder
i really don't like that song but even i have to admit that arrangement was fun, and i enjoyed it
-
Carly Rae Jepsen is a Canadian singer/songwriter, similar to Justin Beiber in that she started out young and in Canada before gaining broader acclaim. She's been well known in Canada for quite a while, more so when she competed on Canadian Idol, and much more so since her song Call Me Maybe got popular. Back when she had finished her Canadian Idol tour of the country, I was working for that crap job, basically as a booking agent, and I helped coordinate a small tour for her through my province. She was nice and professional when I worked with her over the phone, I never listened to any of her music when I put together the tour. I dismissed her as a Canadian Idol kid and didn't know until later that she had a music career before that. It was only after the tour, when all the people who booked her said she was outstanding that I listened to some of her recordings. Too bad I missed seeing her before she hit the big time in those tiny little venues I booked her into I guess. What especially sets her apart is that she's not a manufactured artist - she writes her own music and is more or less genuinely who she presents herself to be. She has a good singing voice without the aid of autotune. Her link to Justin Beiber, apart from the similar backgrounds is that she is touring as his opening act on his current tour. I actually quite like her music and considering she has actual talent, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dw0AvL7Mw) I'm glad she's seeing some south of the boarder success.
-
I hope y'all watched that all the way through to the end.
I liked it. It's cute.
Yeah, I like it too. Such a great chorus. I also liked the Bieber fan video, but only for one viewing.
-
I was actually wanting all y'all to see the twist ending.
-
I was actually wanting all y'all to see the twist ending.
But once you see it, you can't unsee it. Every other time I watched it I was thinking "Yeah, I can see that"
-
Here's a twist ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVqkCexCGLI
-
I'll twist your ending.
-
Corgi Rae Jepsen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Dldlfmr3U).
-
(http://i.imgur.com/tSEnh.png)
-
Okay, what the hell is Trouble Muffin? I. Don't. Understand.
-
Carly Rae and TEB (http://youtu.be/CfihF5BD1Rs)
-
Okay, what the hell is Trouble Muffin? I. Don't. Understand.
Its that bulge of flesh that falls over a lady's waist.
-
I think A-Cap is making that up. From what I can tell through extensive googling, it was an inside joke on Drawception that got picked up by the community at large. A drawing of a muffin with an eyepatch seems to be the most popular form.
-
The Moneyspider is referring to "muffin top" I believe.
-
Muffin top makes it sound like something delicious. Trouble Muffin makes it sound like a problem.
-
A pleasingly plump lady with a bad attitude (and possibly an eye patch)?
-
All references to trouble muffin that I can find have nothing to do with ladies and everything to do with an anthropomorphic pirate muffin. I had no idea Drawception was making it's own memes now, though I am on the leaderboard there, with the #2 top game of the past week and everything.
-
Whoever this Trouble Muffin is, I think we can all agree, he or she should be seen doing the Truffle Shuffle.
-
Carly Rae and TEB (http://youtu.be/CfihF5BD1Rs)
I'll just leave this here.
(http://i.imgur.com/9OcPf.jpg)
-
I'll just leave this here.
Yep. You're the real Bobby Isosceles allright.
-
but aerosmith says, "you aint seen nothin' til youre down on the muffin." so how much trouble could it really be?
-
Aerosmith is right, muffins of all types are awesome.
-
Aerosmith is right, muffins of all types are awesome.
In that case, someone needs to dub Aerosmith over this Derpy Hooves footage. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ih60vHh5c)
-
(https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/165952_10100555188499606_2026294760_n.jpg)
-
(https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/484572_401877283182225_167892135_n.jpg)
/Animal behaving badly.
-
even if that cat could read it would still be as aloof about relaxing in that spot.
-
(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EdllE_aty3A/T_GkZtCl1VI/AAAAAAAAXW0/jf_hOZ2G-uQ/s528/12+-+1)
-
I love this. (http://dog-shaming.com/)
-
I have NO fuck*ng idea. (http://fillialcacophony.tumblr.com/)
-
My Little Pony is... bad and it should feel bad?
-
My Little Pony is... bad and it should feel bad?
All right, I've done some research and this is what I can seem to gather:
There is a special subculture of Bronies that worship something called a Fluffy Pony. (http://www.fluffybooru.org/post/view/104#search=Artist%3AMarcusmaximus) From what I can gather, a Fluffy Pony is an infantile, weak, stupid, "kawaii" version of a My Little Pony, but in practice more like a retarded guinea pig. As they originated on 4chan, they only eat spaghetti. (http://www.fluffybooru.org/post/view/1080#search=user_id%3D20) 4chan-style greentext stories are written about their misadventures. There are two camps of Fluffy Ponyists: hugboxers (http://www.fluffybooru.org/post/view/215#search=Artist%3AMarcusmaximus), who make art (I used this term loosely) that involves them being cuddled, and abusefags (http://www.fluffybooru.org/post/view/470#search=Artist%3AMarcusmaximus), who believe they should be horribly abused (thrown against the wall, legs broken, etc). I don't know why Megatron is involved.
These folks are looked down upon by Bronies, which is like saying that furries look down upon juggalos or whatnot.
To sum up, everyone in this autistic sub-sub-sub-subculture (http://xkcd.com/1095/) is a horrible sociopath (http://www.dragon-mango.com/ponygame/fluffy/ponyorgan.swf) and/or nutjob (http://www.dragon-mango.com/ponygame/fluffy/petshop.swf) and should be discouraged from breeding.
I browse the worst parts of the Internet so that you don't have to.
-
I should also point out that as nutty as this is, this is still less aspie than Homestuck.
-
Hey Bobby, could you please stop using the words autistic and aspie as insults? It was maybe funny the first sixty or seventy times, but now it's just retarded.
-
> please stop using the words autistic and aspie as insults
> now it's just retarded.
I see what you did there!
(but ok)
-
I see what you did there!
(but ok)
'preciate it.
-
People being on the autism spectrum is not a joking thing.
However.
I must admit that Asperger's is a terribly unfortunate name for a disorder and I'll every once in a while have to stifle a giggle at it.
Not because a disability is a laughing matter but because there was just not enough thought put into choosing the name and it makes the little boy in me want to chuckle.
It would be kind of like if there was a horrible cancer and the doctor who discovered it was Polynesian and his name was Dr. Pupukahkah.
It would not be funny that people were dying of a horrible disease but it's still kind of reflexively funny that it is called Pupukahkah's Lymphoma.
Like... maybe, just to not confuse the issue, it should be named after Dr. Pupukahkah's patient Steve Anderson instead. Or his assistant Susan Jones. Or something strictly scientific.
I'm just saying.
We have to consider these things. That is a really unfortunate name for a disability. They should rename it after another person involved with the study of the disease or maybe, like, a famous person who is dealing with it in his or her life or something. Not a doctor with that silly a name.
-
People being on the autism spectrum is not a joking thing.
However.
I must admit that Asperger's is a terribly unfortunate name for a disorder and I'll every once in a while have to stifle a giggle at it.
Not because a disability is a laughing matter but because there was just not enough thought put into choosing the name and it makes the little boy in me want to chuckle.
It would be kind of like if there was a horrible cancer and the doctor who discovered it was Polynesian and his name was Dr. Pupukahkah.
It would not be funny that people were dying of a horrible disease but it's still kind of reflexively funny that it is called Pupukahkah's Lymphoma.
Like... maybe, just to not confuse the issue, it should be named after Dr. Pupukahkah's patient Steve Anderson instead. Or his assistant Susan Jones. Or something strictly scientific.
I'm just saying.
We have to consider these things. That is a really unfortunate name for a disability. They should rename it after another person involved with the study of the disease or maybe, like, a famous person who is dealing with it in his or her life or something. Not a doctor with that silly a name.
Well, in my defense, I'm not using autist or aspie as a perjorative. I am actually saying that the people into Fluffy Ponies clearly have an autism spectrum disorder. This is pretty indisputable. It's not like the autism is making them Fluffy Ponyists. Plenty of people with HFA or Asperger's lead Fluffy-free lives.
-
I am certain that this is part of the reason that Asperger Syndrome is being folded into the "Autism Spectrum Disorders" category and done away with as distinct diagnosis in the DSM-V.
Knock it off guys, that stuff is so GAY.
I had a "friend" in high school who took to using "Jewish" as a perjorative. He was...pretty quickly shunned for that.
Well, in my defense, I'm not using autist or aspie as a perjorative. I am actually saying that the people into Fluffy Ponies clearly have an autism spectrum disorder. This is pretty indisputable. It's not like the autism is making them Fluffy Ponyists. Plenty of people with HFA or Asperger's lead Fluffy-free lives.
True, but saying that the majority of Fluffy Ponyists have an ASD taints the rest of the ASD population by association.
-
I am certain that this is part of the reason that Asperger Syndrome is being folded into the "Autism Spectrum Disorders" category and done away with as distinct diagnosis in the DSM-V.
I had a "friend" in high school who took to using "Jewish" as a perjorative. He was...pretty quickly shunned for that.
True, but saying that the majority of Fluffy Ponyists have an ASD taints the rest of the ASD population by association.
Dude, there are like ... a hundred Fluffy Ponyists out there. The majority of math and physics professors have an ASD. That's good! We need Physics. Fluffy Ponies are the dark side of ASD. It's kind of how sickle cell anemia has adaptive benefits in fighting malaria, but the down side is that a subset carries both alleles and gets the full blown condition.
Also, please, let's get back to what really matters here: making fun of Juggalos.
-
At my high school some popular pejoratives (aside from gay) were texan, southern, and canadian.
-
Shunning? Well thanks for being all Quaker on us!
Quaker? You're Oat-istic!
-
At my high school some popular pejoratives (aside from gay) were texan, southern, and canadian.
There was a trend here for a while (long after I was out of high school) where some white kids were using "canadian" as a substitute for the "n-word."
When I was a kid, ours were the usual assortment of gay, fag, queer, dork, retarded, spaz, and turd. We occasionally heard Pollock, that's the closest we got to anything racial, but it was a pretty white town. I actually didn't know what the n-word was until I read Huckleberry Finn in the sixth grade.
-
Quaker? You're Oat-istic!
There should be more grain-based insults hinting at autism spectrum disorders. You have grass-pergers.
-
At my high school some popular pejoratives (aside from gay) were texan, southern, and canadian.
Basically anyone that wasn't you, in other words. Down here it's popular to use Yankee as a pejorative, but that's mostly because all Yankees are assholes.
-
There should be more grain-based insults hinting at autism spectrum disorders. You have grass-pergers.
Your aspergers is graspergers.
Basically anyone that wasn't you, in other words. Down here it's popular to use Yankee as a pejorative, but that's mostly because all Yankees are assholes.
I know you're joking, but when my father-in-law says this, he is not.
-
That is definitely a pejorative and not some jokey thing. That is cause people in the south are closed minded dicks, in general.
-
You know, though?
I can at least wrap my head around Juggaloism.
It's an understandable kind of crazy. It's just a batshit extreme distillation of many people's heavy metal phase or something in high school.
I don't understand the degree but the kernel, I can understand the social shaping forces behind it.
Some of the darkest strains of Bronyism seem like things David Lynch thought about putting in a movie and then threw out because they were too unbelievable for a David Lynch movie.
-
The Darkest Strains of Bronyism is just the best phrase ever.
Sadly, the Darkest Strains of Bronyism are usually indicative of a extreme psychological disorder. (http://www.fluffybooru.org/post/list/artist%3Amwike/2) That link is full of NSFW-evil.
-
That is definitely a pejorative and not some jokey thing. That is cause people in the south are closed minded dicks, in general.
i think two things of that statement. 1) you haven't met terribly many people in the south; and/or 2) one reaps what one sows
-
Or I am from the South and A) know that to be true and B) am fuck*ng around.
Over half of the people I went to high school with would probably just straight tell you they are racist, I once lived with a black guy with a pit bull and only because of this our house was under pretty severe and obvious police surveillance (police are racist, close minded pricks everywhere, granted...). Lowest education levels equals stupidest people equals biggest sheep.
Look, I've been a freak in the South and I've been a freak in Denver. I have not spoken to a police officer or been seriously threatened to fight because of the way I look since since coming to Colorado. That is not the case where I come from. Look different, do drugs in a somewhat open manner and carry yourself like you don't give a fuck and see what happens to you in the south. Then do it someplace that is decent and see what happens. That said, if you see another freak in the South you know that person is a freak too, and not just some hipster fuck, so I kind of liked that part.
-
Oklahoma isn't the South. Neither is Texas.
Sigh. One more time...
There are racists, morons and assholes everywhere. In my experience, they're in about the same proportion everywhere you go.
You see, the reason racism is wrong is because you're judging people as a group rather than as an individual. When you make blanket statements about a group of people based on where they come from or what group they belong to, that's exactly what you're doing.
People from Africa are lazy and dishonest = BAD
People from Asia can't drive = BAD
People from the South are ignorant racists = OK?
You know, the further I go the more I dislike any value judgements about any group of people.
-
Yeah, Oklahoma and Texas are like the worst parts of the south, mixed with the worst parts of the Midwest mixed with their own, unique shitty thing, you are right about that. I'm just saying, I've lived in different parts of the country and at least in one part the racist shitbags feel like they have to hide. Not true in ok or tx, is all.
-
I've actually always wondered about that asian drivers one. My sense is that driving in Asia is really intense and competitive and fast. Why do they forget how to drive when they come over here? I have ridden in the car with some stereotypical Asian drivers and... DAMN.
I was reading somewhere that visitors from Asia and Africa are always surprised at the fact that Americans follow traffic laws/signs. Maybe that's part of it?
I am partially with Aug, but I think there comes a point where you can say "the South literally switched political parties because of racial integration efforts, maybe there is some characteristic they have which made this happen."
I agree, there are close-minded assholes in every place. But in some places that manifests in open racism more than others.
-
I've actually always wondered about that asian drivers one. My sense is that driving in Asia is really intense and competitive and fast. Why do they forget how to drive when they come over here? I have ridden in the car with some stereotypical Asian drivers and... DAMN.
If you are in Asia and you have a car you are pretty well off. That's not your typical immigrant. I suspect most of those who come to America have never driven in their life previously.
-
You know, the further I go the more I dislike any value judgements about any group of people.
What about lawyer jokes? Those are pretty universally accepted.
-
It is not fair to say that the South is entirely racist as fuck.
It IS, I think, fair to say that there are large swaths of the South where it is common, accepted and encouraged by the dominant authorities and a large vocal majority of the population to be racist as fuck. Where either it is that the people who are racist as fuck have all the power to speak or that maybe a lot of the people are merely kinda racist and don't particularly fight the popular thrust of racist as fuck-ness.
Boston is certainly as virulently racist against African-American as any Georgia backwater hamlet but at least Boston has the decency to be publicly ashamed of it and try to downplay it and deny it.
Certain areas of exurbia at the edge of the Los Angeles metro area are as racist against Latinos as any burnt-out coal mining town in West Virginia but there's a certain level of accepting that if they don't hold back on it at least a little bit, they'd have no minorities to build all their houses and make all their food for about a third of what you could pay non-oppressed types.
There's making sure not to make a blanket statement against a people in general but there's also, like, not admitting to the truth on the ground. You get outside of the urban and educational centres in a lot of the South and the southern Midwest and... okay, sure, there's a significant minority of people who aren't racist and probably the majority of people are just casually racist, not assholes running around in hoods and shit...
But there's something to be said for the fact that in those areas, the forces in cultural charge are racist as fuck and there aren't nearly enough people standing up against it, whether because they're less-racist-but-still-racist fellow travelers in hate or outnumbered or whatever.
I think that when you say "Much of the rural South is racist as fuck" shouldn't have to be parsed out with four paragraphs about how there's many individual exceptions and, hey, if you're close enough to Chapel Hill or Austin, there's token resistance to it or so on or so forth. Sometimes you just say things in shorthand and it doesn't mean you're being a jerk, unless someone's trying to attack you by intentionally reading malice into your brevity as false ammo against you.
Much of the rural South IS racist as fuck and largely unashamed.
Also, yeah, I have been told by a lot of people in developing countries that... driving really is just a very different thing in places without the money for good roads and lights and signs and highway police and such. It's not that they're bad drivers, genetically or culturally, they just learned how to drive in a very different economic structures.
I'm sure I'd be the shitty driver in Mumbai, fuck*ng it up for everyone else. Hell, I've still never gotten behind the wheel of a car in Manhattan. Even when I lived in Brooklyn for a year, fuck no, man. Take the train or get a ride in the car from my Long Island raised girlfriend.
I'm a very good driver on Rust Belt open roads or Los Angeles slow gridlock but ancient tightly-packed Northeastern metropolis driving is just not something I'm trained for.
-
Austin sure has done a good job of image building.
-
Also, this thread is going down a bad road. Do we need to lock it?
-
I was wondering that myself. AW and Wombat, I'll leave it to you. But I will say this: I've lived in the midwest and I've lived in the south, and I've studied racism, bigotry, and hatred in this country from the turn of the previous century forward, and I'm with AW. Few people realize, for instance, that the largest and most active chapters of the KKK throughout the 1930s and 40s were the Ohio and Indiana chapters. But we've been fed the notion that the South is more culturally accepting of racism for so long that even some Southerners have started to believe it.
-
I don't know about driving, but there's a guy at the University of Maryland who actually went out and answered the question about why pedestrians in immigrant neighborhoods near the campus all seem to wander out into traffic like they want to commit suicide. He discovered that in the places they came from, the relationship between cars and pedestrians is totally reversed from the way it is here: rather than walkers being expected to watch out for cars and not walk out in front of them, it's expected that drivers look out for pedestrians and stop and not hit them.
Science. Or at least sociology.
-
I don't know about driving, but there's a guy at the University of Maryland who actually went out and answered the question about why pedestrians in immigrant neighborhoods near the campus all seem to wander out into traffic like they want to commit suicide. He discovered that in the places they came from, the relationship between cars and pedestrians is totally reversed from the way it is here: rather than walkers being expected to watch out for cars and not walk out in front of them, it's expected that drivers look out for pedestrians and stop and not hit them.
In other words the rest of the world has it completely backwards.
A friend of mine who grew up in Greece told me that they used to drive without lights at night. When approaching another car the driver would flash the lights on and off several times creating a strobe effect. He said it was only in the 70s that lights became required for night driving. I can't find anything on Google to confirm or deny this so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
-
In other words the rest of the world has it completely backwards.
In fact I meant to add that he had discovered that we have it exactly backwards.
-
Also, this thread is going down a bad road. Do we need to lock it?
Nah, we just need some gates and a bit of gentrification to keep the undesirables out.
-
That's true, jay-elle, but... it's also parsing out what's "the South" in very particular way to use Ohio and Indiana in a very particular timeframe as examples of "not the South". Cities like Cleveland and Gary might technically be in the same states as Evansville or the slice of Appalachia to the southeast of Cincinatti but... culturally, economically, demographically, there's parts of those "Northern" states that fit "the South" much better.
And then, you know, to say "the 30s or the 40s"... before World War Two, virulent racism went unchallenged pretty much across the entire country because casual racism was the overall norm. How the North and the South dealt with the integrating forces of world war and the national war economy and then the Civil Rights Movement that grew out of that temporary empowerment were very very different things.
I understand the desire to "defend" the Southern culture as a relatively rare progressive within it but that one seems kinda cherrypicking-ish to me, to be honest.
How regions, industries, cultures and classes have reacted TO the empowerment of African Americans after World War Two on seems to be more important to the conversation than using the fact that, yes, everywhere used to be a lot more racist overall before that to argue against what we see in culture now.
To use a different but thematically related example, In-N-Out Burger is run by people just as religiously fanatical as the people who run Chik-Fil-A but there's no way they could've gotten away with it in the Pacific Southwest the way Chik-Fil-A has become a rallying cry for homophobia in the Southeast.
There's more nuance to it than black and white/good and bad but there's too much general evidence to it than to just discard it totally as well.
-
There are a few reasons people think the south is more racist.
I guess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War#Slavery) I can leave (http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingsstate.html) a few (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_in_the_Schoolhouse_Door) here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Rider)
Something about bodies hanging from trees and children having firehoses turned on them hangs around in the national psyche.
I absolutely run into horrible racists in St Louis, and know there are similar racial problems all over the country. But don't pretend it's completely unfair to think the south is racist. Clearly things have changed, and attitudes have shifted. But people aren't just unfairly pulling this out of their ass.
At the same time: Shut up LFM.
The Invention of Jaywalking (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/04/invention-jaywalking/1837/) is really interesting.
If we are going to do anything mod-wise, can we separate out the South is Racist/Isn't Racist stuff and lock that new thread, so that I can still post memes here?
-
Everybody shut up.
-
Paul is correct. We are done talking about racism. Don't make me split the thread because if I do I'm going to lock it anyway and then I'll also be pissed off at having had to do the work to split it.
Bring on the memes!
-
That jaywalking article is interesting. I wonder if the book also talks about other countries.
(Remember this thread is now JAYWALKING AND MEMES ONLY.)
-
ASH DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE.
That is the opposite of what I thought was true in California. The first time I visited my friend was very careful to warn me that in LA they give tickets for jaywalking, since it was a foreign custom that you would not expect a New Yorker to understand.
-
Speaking of memes, then, what's a good site for making sarcastic parodies of LOLcat memes, for someone who has no fuck*ng idea how to use Photoshop?
I just wanna put Bane quotes on top of my CPAP pictures, you know?
I just want to engage in weird reverse-narcissism and revel in how goofy I look in my old-man-sleeping-gear.
-
Speaking of memes, then, what's a good site for making sarcastic parodies of LOLcat memes, for someone who has no fuck*ng idea how to use Photoshop?
I just wanna put Bane quotes on top of my CPAP pictures, you know?
I just want to engage in weird reverse-narcissism and revel in how goofy I look in my old-man-sleeping-gear.
go to icanhas.cheezburger.com (http://icanhas.cheezburger.com). there is a link on the top right corner that lets you upload and create your own meme-type image macros. it says "create!" and has a lightbulb on it.
-
This is much better.
-
We are all made of stars. (http://cheezburger.com/6549267456)
Do you realize? (http://cheezburger.com/6549275136)
-
That reminds me. I need to order new masks for my Vader Box.
-
Schizophrenic man believes God is speaking to him through his random number generator, writes OS from scratch. (http://www.metafilter.com/119424/An-Operating-System-for-Songs-from-God)
I cannot stress how amazing this is. A 64-bit OS written, completely from scratch. Nothing about this should work, but it has some awesome (and impractical) features, such as a Markovian completion of the command-line, which in itself is incrementally interpreted C; the compiler can be invoked within code itself, meaning a program can modify itself. It has a flight simulator and apparently ...
... okay, guys, imagine if Dr. Bronner and Steve Wozniak were one and the same. This is insane genius, which makes it genius all the more. 3000 years ago this would have been a prophet. Now it's just a guy who is trying to explain how his OS works (primary purpose: to create animated hymns for God), and lapsing in and out of word salad.
the OS (http://losethos.com/)
first of the walkthrough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAr-xYtBFbY)
In the walkthrough he points out that he wants feedback because he doesn't get much feedback. (This is because he keeps getting banned from forums for lapsing into Bronneresque word-salad.) The guy is clearly intelligent, if disordered in his thoughts; if you are a techie type, be a mensch and give the guy a little constructive feedback on the OS.
-
Guys, every single part of this OS is JIT compiled. Even the init process (called "Adam, father of all processes") compiles all the other kernel modules and userland on load.
-
I don't understand most of that, but this is enough:
... okay, guys, imagine if Dr. Bronner and Steve Wozniak were one and the same.
-
I don't understand most of that, but this is enough:
Just have Tech Support listen to the walkthrough and watch the contortions on his face.
-
I don't understand most of that, but this is enough:
... okay, guys, imagine if Dr. Bronner and Steve Wozniak were one and the same.
Eh, It's All One.
-
Eh, It's All One.
You, sir, get a small vessel of Mr. Pibb.
-
I'm profoundly photogenic, of course.
http://cheezburger.com/6549749248?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal (http://cheezburger.com/6549749248?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal)
http://cheezburger.com/6549740032?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal (http://cheezburger.com/6549740032?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal)
http://cheezburger.com/6549771008?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal (http://cheezburger.com/6549771008?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal)
http://cheezburger.com/6549829120?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal (http://cheezburger.com/6549829120?utm_source=trans&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=transglobal)
-
those are so boring. come on. do one that is a weird pun about vader or a song parody. I BELIEVED IN YOU.
Sincerely,
Drunk,
Dan
http://cheezburger.com/6550932480
-
Schizophrenic man believes God is speaking to him through his random number generator, writes OS from scratch. (http://www.metafilter.com/119424/An-Operating-System-for-Songs-from-God)
I cannot stress how amazing this is. A 64-bit OS written, completely from scratch. Nothing about this should work, but it has some awesome (and impractical) features, such as a Markovian completion of the command-line, which in itself is incrementally interpreted C; the compiler can be invoked within code itself, meaning a program can modify itself. It has a flight simulator and apparently ...
... okay, guys, imagine if Dr. Bronner and Steve Wozniak were one and the same. This is insane genius, which makes it genius all the more. 3000 years ago this would have been a prophet. Now it's just a guy who is trying to explain how his OS works (primary purpose: to create animated hymns for God), and lapsing in and out of word salad.
the OS (http://losethos.com/)
first of the walkthrough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAr-xYtBFbY)
In the walkthrough he points out that he wants feedback because he doesn't get much feedback. (This is because he keeps getting banned from forums for lapsing into Bronneresque word-salad.) The guy is clearly intelligent, if disordered in his thoughts; if you are a techie type, be a mensch and give the guy a little constructive feedback on the OS.
I don't even understand what is going on but this shit is fascinating. Forwarding it to my techfriends, they'll flip.
-
(http://i.imgur.com/l47gB.jpg)
-
I don't even understand what is going on but this shit is fascinating. Forwarding it to my techfriends, they'll flip.
New Losethos release. Visit the webpage to see more crazy... and more genius. (http://www.losethos.com/LTWeb/Doc/HelpMain.html)
-
I know it's nearly impossible to go to watch YouTube and not watch Gangnam Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0) but can we please talk about it here?
The ambiguous sexuality, the swag, and the dancing. The Dancing. I think I'm in love.
-
I know it's nearly impossible to go to watch YouTube and not watch Gangnam Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0) but can we please talk about it here?
And here I've been watching youtube for almost a decade without having any fuck*ng clue what you are talking about.
It is a big internet sister.
-
When I first heard of this, I thought they said "Gundam Style".
Like those giant Japanese ***** suits?
Anything is disappointing in the face of the notion of a Voltron-y dance craze.
-
They've gotta call that move, "Ride the Sexy Pony" (segsi jolangmal-eul tago) 섹시 조랑말을 타고
-
So that's what Grant Imahara was doing.
-
as for me, the best gangnam style parody so far was the SNL skit.
-
as for me, the best gangnam style parody so far was the SNL skit.
Yes.
When I've visited YouTube over the past week, this video and others related have been in the top ten, and plus I've been watching a lot of Asian content in preparation for our trip, which means it's always in the "related videos"side bar for me, so perhaps Gangnam Style is more pervasive to my current viewing habits, but come on - 230 500 000 + views! I do like that the rapper in question, PSY wrote, directed and choreographed this thing himself. Also, our office at work has the radio tuned to a top 40 station, and I hear this song at least twice a day.
-
Oh God. I have found something so terrible I am hesitant to share it with you all.
-
Oh God. I have found something so terrible I am hesitant to share it with you all.
Don't be coy. Give.
-
I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING DOWN THE BARN TOMORROW (GANGNAM STYLE!)
I don't even know what that was but it skulled my basal ganglion right proper.
Please film this for us.
-
I love the version I posted earlier so much, and yet hate this version so much that it makes me angry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0)
-
there is no WTF feeling, no explanation needed. i just think this is silly and fun.
introspective pug (http://www.quickmeme.com/Introspective-Pug/?upcoming)
-
That is such a great picture, none of the captions seem quite worthy.
-
That is such a great picture, none of the captions seem quite worthy.
i challenge you to do better.
-
That is a literary form that I am not very good at.
-
Here's an adorable meme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjsZbnTNB8c&feature=youtube_gdata_player) that's popular in Japan that I hadn't seen in North America.
-
Is that a... meme?
It seems like a cartoon series. Although it does have a page on know your meme.
-
Apparently, Japanese people are nauseated by surprisingly innocuous bits of trivia.
-
Apparently, Japanese people are nauseated by surprisingly innocuous bits of trivia.
I'm so glad I'm not meta-Japanese, or I'd be throwing up everywhere right now.
-
Is that a... meme?
It seems like a cartoon series. Although it does have a page on know your meme.
This was my thought. I think "meme" is changing its meaning.
-
I think that now meme means "any cultural thing" or else "only image macros."
-
New Losethos release. Visit the webpage to see more crazy... and more genius. (http://www.losethos.com/LTWeb/Doc/HelpMain.html)
I note the new version is called SparrowOS. I can't help but recall Mr Teal (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04042008).
-
Now I am imagining Mr. Bear talking to God.