Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - CortJstr

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 610
1
Achewood / Re: New Achewood
« on: September 25, 2026, 06:40:00 pm »
OK, this is a solid like from The Philippe Times

Lyle just got back from helping spread a friend's ashes! What's a "potato cannon"?

2
Achewood / Poll: Your Favorite Story Arcs
« on: September 21, 2026, 05:29:18 pm »
From Chris:

Howdy, Friend of the Library! I'm making a guide to Achewood story arcs for new readers. Please let me know which ones meant the most to you, and (this won't necessarily be the same thing) which ones you'd use to get a friend hooked. It takes about a minute. I'd really enjoy if you filled out all six, but who has time for that kind of thing these days. 

Thank you! Let's get a new generation of readers into this arcane little universe.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd0jk97UQm5wKeDaMZP4cfGuuJNSRWxvKuwYhvAr8Su-5NAQA/viewform

3
Not Daisy Owl / Re: Swan Boy
« on: September 14, 2026, 05:20:28 pm »
https://swanboy.com/comic/record-shopping/

I would at least check out The Cheerios on Bandcamp

4
Achewood / Happy 25th Anniversary, Achewood
« on: September 11, 2026, 07:06:47 pm »
According to Chris he posted the first Achewood strip at 2am on 9/11/01 then pulled it down and reposted it on 10/1 as a do-over.

It feels like it was both much longer ago but also not nearly that long ago.

5
Achewood / Re: New Achewood
« on: September 11, 2026, 05:44:32 pm »
Beef's line today "World's worst day without any personal money plus ain't got the 'uptakes for this trash jamboree of a society besides" feels a little too forced to actually read as Beef-speak

6
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Book Thread
« on: September 05, 2026, 07:15:37 pm »
Now that I'm done with Dortmunder I might dip into his other works.

7
Not Daisy Owl / Re: Swan Boy
« on: September 05, 2026, 04:27:52 pm »
To be clear, Swan Boy is world's better than current Achewood and rivals prime Achewood. Yesterday's strip, which seemed to conclude the Noel Goes to Hooters arc, was a great capper.

A few years ago they made a cartoon of it with Branson himself voicing Swan Boy and Jo Firestone as Rona. It was on FX which I think means it's on Hulu now.

Branson also wrote for the criminally canceled Strip Law starring Adam Scott, Janelle James, and Stephen Root.

8
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Book Thread
« on: September 05, 2026, 04:19:23 pm »
Easily the best book I've read in the past several years is Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki. A trans violin prodigy, faustian bargains, aliens, and doughnuts.

For light reading I just went through all of the Dortmunder books from the library. He's kind of a sad-sack and all his heists go wrong. In the early books the characters age but at some point in 70s he just froze them and let the world change around them. They're great to read after something heavier.

I read the first 2 of the Japanese weird house books. I don't normally read murder mysteries but they were pretty good. I'll get the 3rd from the library at some point.

Based on a recommendation from Daniel O'Brien (remember him from Cracked when it was good?) I read The Getaway which is a crime novel from like the 50s. It was fine enough for most of it but ho boy the ending is something else. It turns into a completely different book.

Like a lot of people I got sucked into Dungeon Crawler Carl. You either tear through them or hate them.

The Book of Doors by Gareth Brown has a neat concept.

Monstrous: A Transracial Adoption Story is a great graphic novel memoir

Ryan North's comics continue to delight.

I gave The Dog Knight as a gift but haven't read it myself yet. But I've heard lots of good thing.

9
Achewood / Re: New Achewood
« on: September 04, 2026, 02:10:11 pm »
I think the best new arc was Teodor working for Tina's agency?

10
Achewood / Re: New Achewood
« on: September 03, 2026, 11:11:06 pm »
I know, right?

There was even a time where he was going to be away so made up for it by posting extra

11
Achewood / Re: New Achewood
« on: September 03, 2026, 11:04:22 pm »
I am. It's hit or miss. Onstad did the Onstadiest thing where he made a Discord server for subscribers, payed attention to it for a little bit, then abandoned it in favor of only reading and replying to comment posts under each individual comic even though the website sucks.

He's been posting the comics on schedule, doing Ray's Place fairly regularly, and at one point made a (deep sigh) AI version of Ray you could ask questions of

12
People & Places / Re: tap tap
« on: September 03, 2026, 09:48:35 pm »
Seems like it. It even got me back posting again

13
Not Daisy Owl / Swan Boy
« on: September 03, 2026, 07:52:20 pm »
We're all reading Swan Boy, yes? People are regularly calling it things like "the new Achewood" (despite Achewood actually publishing new strips for a while now) and the Noel Goes to Hooters arc "the best thing since The Great Outdoor Fight"

This is my single favorite strip: https://swanboy.com/comic/fuckin/

14
I'm seeing "add poll" as a link instead of a button now. The spacing is vaguely different in a hard to pin-down way. The "Author" and who's viewing list at the top seems new.

15
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »
The difference between a good system and a shitty system is far greater than the difference between a great system and a good system, IMO.

I have a couple of those Sonos wireless speakers now and I love the bejeezus out of them. The sound is fine, but the ability to stream all my MP3s, and Amazon Cloud Player, and radio stations from anywhere, and content from music blogs, well that's all good.

We're doing that but Bose instead of Sonos. The Lady hated my big 90s system with 4' front speakers etc and we could get a Bose with built-in AirPlay for free from Amex points. So we replaced a thing that took up the whole corner with a shelf unit that works for playing mp3s at a party which is 90% of our in-home music listening. And this way we can throw another one in the back room and have them sync up.

I was at Record Store Day and the dude in front of me was talking about his headphones and home system where he claimed he could hear where the individual members of his favorite band were standing in relation to each other.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 610