Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - melack

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63
1
Achewood / 22 December 2008 - This Month: BEN
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:21:22 pm »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12222008

Do they still have Waldenbooks? I haven't been to a shopping mall in so long.

2
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Football 08
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:44:48 pm »
Alright, I gave in. We've got 12 now. I'm Destiny's Manchild.

3
Wild Card / Re: Today I'm gonna...
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:29:35 pm »
Today I'm gonna hit up you guys for advice on fun things to do in Berlin and Amsterdam. I'm going to Germany next week for work, and taking the week off after for fun. These are the last two major western European cities I haven't visited yet, so I'm unsure of non-touristy stuff to do.

So.... any ideas? I'm talking stuff I won't find out about reading Lonely Planet.

4
Sports & Leisure / Re: The get-together in that Chinese city
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:53:52 am »
We had sort of a drinking game going last night to make the opening ceremony a little more interesting. Any time a medium-sized or bigger country was due up, we'd try to guess the number of atheletes they had. Canada had about 6 times as many as my guess, but I was only off by a couple dozen on China.

I also realized, quite sadly, that the only olympians I recognize are NBA players.

5
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:13:38 pm »
If you don't believe the mental game gets ratcheted up, or choose to disregard its importance, in the playoffs or in a major market explain Ed Whitson, Andy Hawkins or Barry Bonds in those situations.

If Epstein is such a frigging genius why is Manny making such a splash in the sox season. Somebody misjudged the noise dude was making back in spring training.

You make a good point about Manny, but I think it's because Epstein knows you can get a better return for a star player when you trade him to a desperate team at the deadline. GMs are thinking more rationally at the beginning of the season, maybe? But I think it speaks to the dude's skill as a GM that even with Manny losing it once and for all and Ortiz falling to pieces, the team is still right near the top of the division.

And as for the postseason thing, our little debate here is just an example of the stats vs scouts debate that never gets anyone anywhere when argued on the internets. So we'll agree to disagree there. (But as one last parting shot: Manny Ramirez is the owner of a .247 BA in the World Series. I couldn't resist.)

6
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:25:36 am »
The rules don't change during the postseason. Bay won't suddenly lose his skill set. There's a reason Theo Epstein has been so succesful--dude knows his shit. There's a reason Ned Coletti hasn't been particularly sucessful--dude isn't very good.

And re: defense, the goal in baseball is to prevent runs just as much as it is to score runs, no matter the position. There's a stereotype that follows the typical leftfielder, that it's alright if he's a butcher with the glove as long as he can mash. Know what that gets you? Guys like Carlos Lee get signed to $100 million contracts.

7
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:19:42 pm »
Just to talk more local baseball: WTF Dodgers!?! I mean thanks for helping to cripple up a team the Angels just took the broom to but where the hell is this move supposed to take anybody?

You mean the Red Sox? Crippled? This is a great move by the Red Sox. Jason Bay is a very good offensive player and a slightly above average fielder. Manny is a great offensive player and an absolutely atrocious defender. Net gain for the Red Sox, even when you don't consider how batshit insane Manny is.

The Pirates are the Pirates. Nobody knows what the fuck they're doing.

The Dodgers aren't very smart. I wouldn't be thanking them for winding up on the bad end of a great Theo Epstein trade.


8
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Football 08
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:38 pm »
I'd like to take part, but I may not be the most active player due to work travel. So just let me know if you dudes need an extra warm body to round out the roster.

9
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:41:26 am »
The trade is more of a fan-pleasing gesture than anything else. It's not going to make that big of a difference.

A) Considering the standings, the Angels are all but guaranteed to make the playoffs no matter if Teixera, Kotchman, or the ghost of Bengie Molina is playing first. So we're not talking about improving their odds over the long haul, we're talking about improving their odds on a per-game basis in the playoffs.

B) Both players are quality defenders, so from that perspective it's a wash.

C) Offensively, you're replacing a .287 / .327 / .448 hitter with a 283  / .390  / .512 one. Over the full season, that's big. But on a per-game basis, that's not such a monumental upgrade. I've seen the difference in the offense pegged at 4.8 runs per game versus 5 runs per game. Not that significant, especially when you consider you've just traded...

D) 3 more years of Kotchman for the playoff performance of Teixera. Again, they're guaranteed to make the playoffs, so this is all about how much better Tex makes them in the postseason.

So, yeah, it certainly helps, but I don't necessarily think it was worth the price.

10
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:34:09 am »
Hey guys! Been a while. I've been... a little busy with work lately. Traveling a lot, and just generally unable to check the status of my team. When I logged into Yahoo today, it was my first time looking at my team in several months. But god bless the *****ic nature of baseball, I'm somehow in the middle of the pack. And you suckers left good players unclaimed! I managed to pick up Willy Taveras! The Willy Taveras. Oh man, it's like shooting giraffe in a barrel. First place, here I come!

All I need is like 30 victories.

11
Achewood / Re: Men in fezzes are unpredictable - May 30 2008
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:01:39 pm »
You know, I'd really like to finish this sentence by I got to drain the meat dildo.

12
Okay. Spring Training is over. Now is when the Zombie Reagans actually start playing for reals. Watch out, world! Watch out, braaaaaiiiiinnnnsss!

13
Sports & Leisure / Re: World in Conflict
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:16:28 pm »
I played the first level of that game and I was very creeped out by commies invading my hometown. Keep away from the Kingdome, you damned Reds!

14
Sports & Leisure / Re: Pretend Sports '08 - This Time, Its Personal!
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:49:51 pm »
This may or may not be a good time to mention that I have a very small, hardly distinguishable third nipple. To the untrained eye, it looks like a little scar. But close up, yep, it's a nipple.

15
Achewood / Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:48:01 pm »
Dude. This comic made me laugh so hard. It's difficult to explain to your co-workers why a drawing of a bear using the word "bonch" just made you spit water on your desk.

But, man, was it worth it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63