Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343353 times)

0 Members and 178 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3165 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »

Yeah, I always use the online catalog before I bother going to the library. Of course for me "going to the library" means "walk across the street." But still. It's annoying to go there just to find out the book you want is only at some other branch, and you could've requested a free transfer online to begin with.

But the a/c and free wifi was nice the day our air conditioner at home was broken. I'm just sad they started closing at 9 instead of 10.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3166 on: August 08, 2008, 04:32:35 pm »

ash-- no, I wasn't trying to say I have had a crappy summer. I just think that getting a disease my friends have not heard of would be a good end-of-the-summer thing.

I don't know. I am feeling fine so far. Yesterday we went to our... bosses bosses bosses house? Anyway, the house of the guy who owns the camp. One of the older counselors cracked open a beer and the guy who owns the camp walked in just as his daughter was taking a sip. We all looked at him with fear, and he laughed. "Heck, camp is over, y'all deserve some fun. I used to go out and buy kegs for you guys over breaks!"
It makes me sad that he is not really running things anymore because I admire him more than any man I have ever known. I am not kidding. Me and the other people I work with have long discussions about this... he is just such an amazing man. He makes you want to do a great job, but in a way where he will laugh and commiserate if he hears you bitching about a kid, makes comments like the aforementioned keg comment...
he gave the kids a speech about how amazing their counselors are, and how kids our age are pressured into doing "productive" things with our summers, or else we spend them partying, and that he is just so proud that we have such "fine folks" who are willing to work here for the whole summer with such low pay...

I just, he is such a great guy. Damn.


today I'm going to Asheville to buy some clothes and CDs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3167 on: August 08, 2008, 04:59:04 pm »

The incubation time from exposure to symptoms is in the 1-2 week range, averaging 9 days.  Not everyone exposed gets infected (even if cysts are present). Also, you could be one of the lucky carriers who doesn't get symptoms.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3168 on: August 08, 2008, 05:07:37 pm »

I am pretty confident that I am going to be fine.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3169 on: August 08, 2008, 07:08:14 pm »

...get this message from Spouse and do that thing I do where I don't worry until there's something to worry about.

Suuuuuure I won't

Make sure she goes somewhere that's accredited for CT. </shameless plug>
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3170 on: August 09, 2008, 12:55:13 am »

so proud that we have such "fine folks" who are willing to work here for the whole summer with such low pay...

He sounds like a stand-up guy but this line made me chuckle considering he is the one who gets to make that decision.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3171 on: August 09, 2008, 02:52:06 pm »

yeah. yeah. whatever, I am cool with my pay. I guess.
1.25 an hour if you do the math. Maybe a little more if you count that I get 3 or 4 hours free a week.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3172 on: August 11, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »

Today Im going to a restaurant tasting. There is a steakhouse here that I habitually attended until they got some manager that turned the entire thing into bullshit. They once served me an entirely raw piece of meat. As in, it was still cold and soaking in blood. They also had a love fascination with saltiness where salt was never needed. The final time I went I told them how horrible their food had become, bounced a steak on the table, and refused to pay. New manager, new chef, and hes invited my family to taste his new food fo' free, which is a price I like.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3173 on: August 11, 2008, 10:55:41 pm »

Jeez, did you take it away from him?  He looks pissed!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3174 on: August 12, 2008, 03:20:10 am »

Imagine that child going for your neck.

Is that not what he's doing right there? The bared teeth, the grasping hands, he's about to leap over that tray and latch onto your face.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3175 on: August 12, 2008, 08:29:35 pm »

Today I'm gonna hit up you guys for advice on fun things to do in Berlin and Amsterdam. I'm going to Germany next week for work, and taking the week off after for fun. These are the last two major western European cities I haven't visited yet, so I'm unsure of non-touristy stuff to do.

So.... any ideas? I'm talking stuff I won't find out about reading Lonely Planet.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3176 on: August 13, 2008, 01:01:35 pm »

Today Im gonna go to the doctor. I need him to sign a refill on an Rx I need. I will spend like $15 while my insurance company spends a couple hundo for him to sign this piece of paper. Every month this will go on and every month he will say "yup, you still need this Rx that I said you needed a year ago".But because FDA says hes not allowed to put refills on the bottle, we will  continue to play this game. My question is, how much money+time=value is basically 'lost' with docs sitting with patients re-signing Rxs just because the government says they have to? How many thousands of dollars are spent on this, that are eventually denied on people who have real health concerns?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:12:21 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3177 on: August 13, 2008, 01:27:46 pm »

Well I guess that reason depends on the drug? Different drugs are regulated for different reasons and I suppose the general philosophy is that the costs of repercussions from unregulated exploitation would ultimately be greater than the costs you are describing. I'm certainly down with the idea that many drugs are over-regulated but I think putting an upper limit on certain drugs (I'm thinking more cases where a patient could inadvertantly or deliberately harm themselves more than regulating stuff like pseduoephidrine) is a generally sensible thing to do.

I'm more intrigued at the idea that your doctor would be pocketing 'a couple hundo' for checking you out out and renewing a prescription, round here that would cost 30 - 50 bucks tops Of which you'd get a healthy chunk back thanks to our pinko socialised medicine..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:39:02 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3178 on: August 13, 2008, 02:13:56 pm »

Today Im gonna go to the doctor. I need him to sign a fefill on an Rx I need. I will spend like $15 while my insurance company spends a couple hundo for him to sign this piece of paper. Every month this will go on and every month he will say "yup, you still need this Rx that I said you needed a year ago".But because FDA says hes not allowed to put refills on the bottle, we will  continue to play this game. My question is, how much money+time=value is basically 'lost' with docs sitting with patients re-signing Rxs just because the government says they have to? How many thousands of dollars are spent on this, that are eventually denied on people who have real health concerns?

Maybe it's because the doctor has trouble believing that a man your age really needs his Viagra prescription refilled month after month.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3179 on: August 13, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »

Today I'm gonna hit up you guys for advice on fun things to do in Berlin and Amsterdam.

I thought we had a Berlin thread here at one time, but as is so often the case with the search function here I can't find much.  I did find this one, but I thought there was a longer one, where I was trying to tell some female poster cool stuff to do in Berlin and she responded "My boyfriend has lived there for five years."

I haven't been since 2002, but I still recommend Gasthaus Kreuzberg, assuming it's still there.  Kreuzberg in general is a cool neighborhood that isn't all tourist-ified.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 878   Go Up