Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - kellichou

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
1
Wild Card / Re: Organizization Codependency
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »
Goodgracious, I know this very, very well.  To my husband, weeknights are out because his work is very stressful, and weekends are out because they are for fun and relaxation.  We could afford a housekeeper, but unfortunately he has "stranger issues" and won't abide a person who is not family or friend in our house--especially when we're not here.  He did agree to have someone come in in the evenings while we're home, but there's really no one around I can find who's licensed and bonded AND willing to work evenings.

Check out Lundy Bancroft's "Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry & Controlling Men."  It's a great book that describes all sorts of controlling & abusive behavior.  Of course, women and men can be angry and controlling (and Bancroft does acknowledge this in his book, he's worked for years as an expert helping rehabilitate abusers when possible).  I was left scratching my head, saying things like, "OH!  I didn't know that was abusive, now I see why!" 

Another good book recommendation:  Gavin De Becker's "The Gift of Fear."

But seriously, check Bancroft's book out.  I think it should be required reading for all humans, personally.  Oh, just make sure you hide the book so your husband doesn't find it.  Seriously.  Best of luck to you.

2
Science & Nature / Re: How's your color vision?
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:08:59 am »
I got a 14.  It did take a damn long time!  Agreed--a lot of work.

3
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:32 am »
CAN'D!  <3 to microbiology AND the British show!!!

I always thought your name referred to the pioneer of microbiology.

4
Science & Nature / Re: I hate Apple
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:38:02 am »
bought me a really awesome iPod Nano (2nd generation, pink aluminum case) while we were dating in Alaska. He knew how much I wanted a Ducati motorcycle, so he bought a racing magazine and used Ducati pictures to wrap the box instead of tacky-ass wrapping paper. I LOVED IT. It was so easy to load music on it, even with my behemoth ancient PC. I rocked with that thing until I bought my third iPod here in Colorado, an 80gb iPod Classic. The pink Nano went to Kellichou.

Awww!  And I love that pink iPod!  Thanks, Linnea! 

5
History / Re: Election Thread
« on: November 05, 2008, 04:47:18 am »
Exaaaaaaactly!  It just doesn't feel real!

But it is!

Hurrah!  Long Live President Obama!!!!

OBAMANOS!  SI SE PUEDE!

6
With the internets and all this may be redundant, but it's handy to keep plain, dry, shredded coconut on hand in the pantry (not toasted, not sweetened).  You just need hot water, cheesecloth, and dry shredded coconut to make great coconut milk!  You can also grate up fresh coconut--the page below details the process.

Dried/dessicated coconut instructions nabbed from:  http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/cooking_guide/coconut_milk.php  They include labor-saving use of a blender (see below)!

 Using desiccated coconut : Many cooks use desiccated coconut for making milk. It is much easier and quicker to prepare than grating fresh coconut, and in curries you cannot tell the difference. Put 2 cups desiccated coconut in a large bowl and pour over 2 1/2 cups hot water. Allow to cool to lukewarm, then knead firmly with the hand for a few minutes and strain through a fine strainer or a piece of muslin, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. This should produce approximately 1 1/2 cups thick coconut milk.

Repeat the process using the same coconut and 2 1/2 cups more hot water. This extract will yield approximately 2 cups of thin coconut milk.

Using a blender : With an electric blender you save time and a lot of hard work. Put 2 cups desiccated coconut and 2 1/2 cups of hot water in blender container, cover and blend for about 30 seconds. Strain through a fine sieve or piece of muslin, squeezing out all the moisture. Repeat the process using the same coconut and 2 1/2 cups more of hot water.

Sometimes a richer milk is required.  For this, hot milk replaces the water and only the first extract is used. However, a second extract will yield a flavorful and reasonably rich grade of coconut milk that can be used in soups, curries or other dishes.

7
Wild Card / Re: Today I'm gonna...
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:00:48 pm »
Who runs a business without the internet these days?  Well, it's great to know that the next generation will know the important nineteenth century technique of selling door to door.

And really, even if they seriously think that perverts will use the internet to find little girls this way - what's a more important life skill than learning how to identify and avoid internet perverts?

CAN'D for sweet, delicious truth.  Seriously!  Awesome Girl Scouts honing their mad web design skills, what's not to love?  All documenting creepy emails, turning 'em over the the proper authorities, doing a victory dance.  Sigh.

We've got to let girls do fun, challenging things that teach 'em real-world skills!  That was my major beef with the GSA, their lack of building useful, fun, challenging skills in girls.  I quit around age 12 or so because instead of doing cool shit like building fires and running around in the woods, we were in my Troop Leader's condo (hey, it was the 80's, therefore the condo with faux-modern furniture), sewing purses from the asses of Other People's Used Jeans.  Keee-rist!  It was awful. 

8
Sports & Leisure / Re: chocolate eclairs
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:35:53 pm »
Yeh, I should've connected those thoughts for those outside my head. . . I know FF isn't French (she's a famous American, because her cookbooks were the first to use standardized measurements, at least here in the US).

Because many of the recipes in FF are so old and/or non-American (like the pate a choux recipe), I figure the eggs called for in the recipe weren't the Large eggs we know and use today in the US.

I don't think Fannie Farmer is French... the real issue is that all American cookbooks use large eggs as the standard size for baking.

9
Sports & Leisure / Re: chocolate eclairs
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:14:33 pm »
EDIT: Kelli, do you think that using extra-large eggs skewed our results and gave us a runnier dough? Maybe the French use titchy-small eggs?

Daaaaaammmmmittt!

Yeff, you're probably 100% right!  Because yes, they used titchy-small eggs (OMG!  Wombie Brain Link!  I totally would've used that word too)!

10
Sports & Leisure / Re: chocolate eclairs
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:12:52 pm »
Yes, it is over-the-top in richness, but so awesome.  It was like fulfilling a childhood dream, all making complimacated French desserts.  And yes, I love baking (like cooking a lot too, especially one of my faves, Thai food, such as Thai lamb with chilli and mint, served with jasmine rice and chilli ginger stir fried vegetables).  I guess I just like creating food.  It's chemistry you can do at home!

Good lord... you're brilliant.  But something this rich less than a week after Christmas... no.  They sound lovely though. 

Baking is more of a science, cooking more of an art, though there's plenty of the other in each.  I'm also not a sweets/dessert person, so maybe that corralates. 

But you can come close--but you're absolutely right, all the food we had in Belgium was absolutely awesome.  I had Indonesian food for the first time, by a dude in Antwerp, a Dutch/Belgian colonist who had grown up there.  The food was amazing!  And of course, let's not forget the pastries and chocolates.  Ahhh!  But I was surprised and pleased with how they came out.  I <4 Fannie Farmer, basically.  I need to get me some of Julia Child's cookbooks, given my love of French cuisine.  I also need some of those Proustian cookbooks, where people have gone through Proust's work and found all the amazing dishes mentioned in the novel, particularly those created by the lovely Francoise, the foul-kind servant who created edible works of art.

Also, I ate a lot of pastry both times I was in Belgium, so I sort of think it's pointless to try - nothing will ever be that good.

11
Sports & Leisure / chocolate eclairs
« on: December 29, 2007, 07:48:22 pm »
So yesterday evening, Linnea and I made the most grelicious chocolate eclairs.  From scratch.

We used Fannie Farmer's recipes for pate a choux (the dough that becomes magically hollow when you bake it, discovered in Renaissance times, I hear) and Bavarian cream to fill 'em.  Topped with a decadent chocolate ganache, made with the 60% cacao double chocolate chips from Ghiradelli and heavy cream.  Magical.

Pate a Choux.  I think the secret is briefly cooking the ball o' dough.  Seriously.  We had issues with getting the dough stiff enough, and I think it hearkens back to not cooking the flour enough (so it'll expand later, making a dough that is stiff and will hold its shape).  After making 2 batches of the dough and experimenting, I've put my italicized comments in.  Disclaimer:  we made this at high altitude.

All right, Pate a Choux!  From Fannie Farmer.
Set the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Put in a saucepan:
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup butter

Heat until the butter melts [Note:  it should probably be boiling]
Add, all at once,
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour.
Stir hard until the dough forms a ball in the center of the pan.  [I think that means a few minutes' stirring on the burner]  Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes.  Add
1 egg
Beat until well blended. [I think that means to beat the hell out of it.  I hear that pate a choux really can't be overbeaten]  Add
1 egg.
Beat as before.  The mixture should be very stiff.  If it is not, let it stand 10 minutes before shaping.  [I found that spooning the dough into a ziplock bag and putting it in the refrigerator, 20 minutes or more, also helped]
Take up by spoonfuls and arrange on a cooky sheet, 2 inches apart.  Use a tablespoon for larger puffs, a teaspoon for small ones.  For eclairs:  shape in finger-shaped oblongs, 1 by 4 1/2 inches.  For perfect shaping, use a pastry bag and tube.  I used a wet spatula to help make the free edge perfect.

Bake until there are NO beads of moisture on the puffs, about 20 minutes for small puffs.  For large puffs, reduce the heat after 20 minutes and continue baking 10 to 20 minutes or until the puffs are firm and crusty.

If the puffs are not baked long enough, they will be soft rather than crisp.  Test by taking one out of the oven.  If it does not flatten down, the puffs are done.

Slit puffs with a sharp knife to let out the steam so that the puffs will be dry inside.  [note:  we split open the puffs & eclairs while hot, pulled out doughy bits inside, and briefly returned them to the oven so that the insides would be nice and dry.  Worked well.

Cool.  Fill with ice cream, whipped cream, or any cream filling.  Makes 8 large puffs, 18 or more small ones.

~~~

Bavarian Cream

Mix in a saucepan
1 envelope gelatin (1 tablespoon)
Few grains salt
1/4 cup sugar

In a mixing bowl, beat together until well blended
2 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups milk

Add to the gelatin mixture.  Cook and stir over low heat until the gelatin dissolves (about 5 minutes).  Add
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chill until the mixture begins to stiffen. Note:  mixture will appear curdled.  For uniform gelling, I beat it smooth before adding the beaten egg whites.
Beat until in soft peaks
2 egg whites
Beat in, a little at a time,
1/4 cup sugar
Fold into the gelatin mixture.  Fold in
1/2 pint heavy cream, beaten stiff.

Mold in individual molds or one large mold.  Unmold and garnish or flavor as suggested for Spanish Cream.  Serves 6.  We tried piping the cream into the eclairs, as well as spooning it in.  Personally, given the nice firm texture of the Bavarian cream, I think carefully spooning it in gives better structural results.  But either way, it's freakin' delicious.

~~~

The ganache I made:
heat 2/3 cup heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear around the edges.  Turn off heat, add 12 oz. of Ghiradelli 60% cacao chocolate chips.  Stir.  Mixture will be lumpy.  Slowly add more cream (room temperature or chilled), stirring well, until mixture is thick and glossy.  Spread on tops of filled eclairs with a spoon.  Chill, uncovered, until ganache is set.

12
People & Places / Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:53:25 pm »
Oh, goodness, SMells!  The Oral-B TRIUMPH is a triumphant toothbrush indeed!

Shit, I say get it.  Or at least a crappy battery-powered spin brush, like I have.  It works tolerably well.  But the TRIUMPH is the toothbrussssh of the future!!

Resolutions? for 2008?  ~~~

Obtain as much horizontal professional credit as possible.

Look into buying a year or three of retirement credz.

Save a ton of money so me and the SO can go to Australia this coming summer.

Better financial habits all 'round.  Especially when it comes to budgeting and saving the mon-eh.

Keep going to the gym with Linnea, and sculpt an awesome physique once more.  Yesss!

Crazy goal:  to one day obtain an elite heart rate.  Like. . . 50!  That would be teh awesome.

To log some serious mileage on the bicycle.

To obtain flattering bridesmaid dresses for both my BFF and my younger sister's weddings in 2008.  And rock the hot bod to pull it off.

13
People & Places / Re: Emigrating
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:10:26 pm »
And I second that our dad is very misogynistic.  I think he truly believes that women are inferior to men.  It seems entirely possible that he's jealous of Somebody nice's drive & ambition (I think he has the same drive, but he has been choosing "the safe choice" for a long time now). 

Basically, he thinks women ought to just get married and do all the housework for the Man of the House.  Everything is subserviant to the man.  He does not think they deserve to earn as much as men for the same work.  I'm sure he thinks that women working are the beginning of the Downfall of Society.

Sometimes I want to punch him in the face.

14
History / Re: 21-year-old arrested for licking pet toad
« on: November 20, 2007, 02:20:09 am »
Heh.  "Hot Cheetos make me craaaaaazy!"

I love that NPR piece. that, and the Flaming Hot Cheetos thing.

15
History / Re: Daylight Savings
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:12:10 pm »
I've always felt that the concept of resetting the clocks for Daylight Savings Time is supreme hubris on our part. It seems to me it would be much more reasonable to change the hours we do things, so that, for instance, work hours would be 8 to 4 during the summer.

And that's why I love being a teacher.  My work hours are nil over the summer, from early June through the beginning of August.  Aaah.  I love it!  Although my work weeks during the school year can easily be 60 hour workweeks (which is why I'd love to slowly garrote people who claim that "teachers do nothing!").  We work our asses off, people.  All teaching 5 classes per day.  120 middle school kids, yo.  But it's actually awesome.  Most of the time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6