Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Poll

Who ya like to rule the NFL this year?

Eagles
- 0 (0%)
Patriots
- 3 (10%)
Colts
- 3 (10%)
Panthers
- 1 (3.3%)
Seahawks
- 2 (6.7%)
Chiefs
- 1 (3.3%)
someone else
- 8 (26.7%)
jeez, who CARES?
- 12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 09, 2004, 01:25:06 pm


Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Europeans call it "gridiron"  (Read 26823 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2005, 05:33:11 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick (well, other than calling you a wrong person, that's pretty hard for me to defend) - I'm just a little angry because of the whole hockey thing. It was easier to endure when the Chargers were rolling.

I don't think anyone in the AFC did particularly well in this postseason, given that all the talking heads were saying the NFC was outclassed.


I'm pretty much an AFC fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

How do you get any information about the relative worth of the AFC and the NFC in the playoffs?  There's no contact between the conferences.  Based on the regular season records the AFC kicked ass.

That being said, the only three teams that  looked good in the past two weeks are Philly, Atlanta and New England.  But they looked good against (sometimes weak) conference opponents.  How much info does that give you?  

The fourth team to make it is the Stillers.  All four teams had byes last week.  Has this happened before?

I am an AFC fan, so I'll be rooting for whichever AFC team makes it.  That being said, I like this season because I think the last four teams are very evenly matched.  At a bare minimum, 2 of the next 3 games should be exciting.

Last and far from least, doesn't it suck that there are only 3 NFL games left this season?  I don't know why I love it, but I do.  Ah well, March Madness is only 6 week or so away.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2005, 05:40:16 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I can basically only watch football and hockey. All I was trying to say was that to say football is slow and then say baseball is better paced . . . well, It's like your favorite cliche about elapsed time.


It's not that it's faster, of course.  Just works better for me.


I think the interesting thing about (NFL) football is that is designed for TV.  The rules have been carved and modified over the past 50 years or so to create a game that best fits our broadcasters needs.  College Basketball is bad about this too.  The whole concept of a TV Timeout hurts my feelings.

Of course, all sports (all everything) have been subject to the same hellish process.  You could argue that the NBA has gone too far in to attract short attention span viewers.

All sports have fast moments and slow moments.  I think you can attribute the NFL's success to the their ability to make their exciting moments easily accesible to the the TV networks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2005, 05:51:15 am »

To begin with, there was so much mention made of the fact that, in the AFC, winning teams might be left out of the playoffs whereas in the NFC a losing team might make it in.

Now in the games this weekend, in both the Steelers - Jets and Patriots - Colts games, I saw offenses that had difficulties getting started and special teams and defensive play that was lacking. Mostly the special teams, as there was some good D played in the NE-Indy game. That game is even more interesting, though. Here's this mighty record-setting quarterback. This is his year. They managed three points. D'oh!

But all in all, neither of those two games were taken over by a team. Meanwhile, both games in the NFC were laughers, so I guess it looks to me like both teams in the NFC championship game are firing on all cylinders. In the AFC game, it appears that the team that screws up less will win.

To me, this says that some teams in the AFC padded their records against suboptimal competition. Two I can think of would be the Chargers and the Broncos. The Jets backed in, and barely won the game they did. Indy is doomed in the post-season. Who else was there going to be? Buffalo? They gave up 90 points to the three good teams they played. Jacksonville? Can you name two players for them?

I guess all I'm thinking is that I wouldn't want to be either of the AFC teams, going up against the Eagles (especially if TO is back) or the Falcons (Michael Vick should not be allowed to play football). All I heard was how the Eagles were going to suffer since they hadn't played a meaningful game in 6 weeks or so. Yeah, they looked rusty. And I think every player on the Falcons roster rushed for at least 500 yards this year.

I think that, because there were a few .500 teams that made the playoffs, everybody figured "well, the NFC sucks". But the whole thing about the playoffs is, the teams that don't deserve to be there get knocked out. In the games I watched, the NFC teams just look more ready than the AFC teams.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2005, 03:59:39 pm »

I'm kind of upset that I didn't really get to watch much football this weekend, but I did get to see most of the embarrassment of the Vikings, and pretty much the whole Colts/New England affair.  

I think this board is the first place I've seen several people picking "whichever NFC team" to win the Super Bowl.  I have a friend who won't stop talking about how overrated/overhyped Michael Vick is, so I think at this point I'm pulling for an Atlanta super bowl win so maybe my friend will shut the hell up.  Although I'm kind of looking forward to whatever combination comes up, I have a feeling we might just have a good Super Bowl this year regardless of who goes.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2005, 11:25:20 pm »

Vick is defnitely hyped, but I have to say that this year is the most I've seen of him, and he is off the chain. You're better off having a complete team, but I think any team that plays against Atlanta basically figures it's a coin flip whether they are going to get their asses handed to them. He just forces things to go his way - like Gretzky or Jordan. He's just got that much ability. However, like Manning, he's too damn expensive and the teams will suffer for it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2005, 02:26:35 pm »

Not to mention that he will get injured again, sooner or later, playing the way he does.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2005, 08:53:02 pm »

That's true - he's basically playing as a running back, and he doesn't have the body-type to absorb the punishment.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2005, 09:23:59 pm »

Michael Vick on the sideline DUE TO PUNISHMENT
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2005, 02:42:36 am »

People are going nucking FUTS in Philly tonight.  It's unbefuck*nglieveable.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2005, 03:54:16 pm »

I was wondering if there would be a pitch invasion at the end of the game.  No such luck.

IGGLES!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2005, 05:53:46 pm »

I read a thing once where it had Philadelphia pronunciations (like "wudder" for water, etc.) and it said "Iggles" for the football team instead of "Eagles" - but anyone who's even as much as VISITED Philly knows that everyone here calls them "da burds".

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2005, 03:55:11 am »

Yeah, Philly is sombre tonight.

Better luck in 2029, Eagles.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2005, 04:33:50 am »

Worst. Commercials. Evar.

Except for that Kinko's/FedEx one in the first quarter with Burt Reynolds and the Bear.  That was pretty funny.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2005, 08:11:33 am »

The P.Diddy one with the Pepsi truck was OK, too. But for the most part, lameness ruled.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »

I laughed out loud at the FedEx one but the Sean Combs/Pepsi one was amusing. It was also odd that Hammer was in two different ads.

But more importantly: they gave CBG a name! Sweet zombie jesus!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up