Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Poll

Would you take part in this book club?

yes
- 14 (82.4%)
no
- 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 12, 2005, 09:51:44 pm


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Oprah be damned (the book club thread)  (Read 9110 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 01:42:27 pm »

Sorry about the bad time you're having, Ark.  Hang in there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 02:14:11 pm »

Oh, wow. Ark, I am heartily sorry. Take care of yourself, and don't mind our bad books and bad devilled eggs.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 02:38:47 pm »

Palahniuk: Survivor
Tom Robbins: Still Life with Woodpecker
Faulkner: As I Lay Dying ( so what if Oprah's pimping it - don't get all Franzen on us, yo )

T.C. Boyle: Drop City
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 02:40:43 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"

Faulkner: As I Lay Dying ( so what if Oprah's pimping it - don't get all Franzen on us, yo )

Sorry -- as much as I agree with what Ark said above about not harping on book choices, if it's this one, I'm not reading it. Read it in tenth grade, hated it, don't wanna go back. Not that you can't do it anyway, but that's my two cents.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 02:58:03 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Limmo"

Faulkner: As I Lay Dying ( so what if Oprah's pimping it - don't get all Franzen on us, yo )

Sorry -- as much as I agree with what Ark said above about not harping on book choices, if it's this one, I'm not reading it. Read it in tenth grade, hated it, don't wanna go back. Not that you can't do it anyway, but that's my two cents.


I previously stated my dislike of Faulkner, but this is the specific book that broke me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 03:07:56 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
is having a horrible life right now.


Yes, I agree to no religious/spiritual stuff, as people can just get plain pissy about this shit.

Yes, arkabee, I brought the deviled eggs.  Yes I forgot the paprika.  Yes they suck, but I can't help but notice that you're eating them anyway.

As for the whole democracy and it's failings thing, I feel like we're working towards a fairly serviceable list o' books which must all have two openly vocal voices of support, and like I noted earlier, once we have a short list I'll draw books to read out of a hat, so everyone can either blame me or the hat, and either way, I don't care.

Also, Aloha and anyone else that's intimidated by the list, I think this is a fairly apropriate concern - are we being overly scholarly here?  Can you propose something a little lighter?  I usually read old-school trash novels like Valley of the Dolls in the summer, and leave the "real" reading to the winter, so this will be a departure for me as well.  Also, please remember the sunscreen.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

editor

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 03:14:01 pm »

Oh my god, I am so sorry.  I saw "Oprah", I saw "Book Club" and then immediately proceeded to click on "No".  I am so, so sorry.  I am an Idiot.   :shock:

I'm tentatively In.
Logged
Congratulations, you broke the Internet.  Good job.


Don't you hate #####?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 03:20:52 pm »

Quote from: "editor"
Oh my god, I am so sorry.  I saw "Oprah", I saw "Book Club" and then immediately proceeded to click on "No".  I am so, so sorry.  I am an Idiot.   :shock:

I'm tentatively In.


You see, I think this is what happened to Phillipe, he was probably so used to seeing his inbox filled with only junk mail that his "delete all" was a reflex reaction, just like how your brain saw Oprah and book club and choose "no."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 03:30:37 pm »

I confess I would prefer things that aren't super-dense. I am, those of you who have clicked on my profile have noticed by now, a desperately overmajored college student, so I probably won't be up for anything hugetastic and/or seriously difficult. Moderately serious literature is fine, but let's keep it reasonable.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing some suggestions of books I've never even heard of. A lot of this stuff on the list is canonized in the Books I Really Ought To Read list, which is all fine and good, but why not branch out? I'd love to see the board's reaction to, say, Geek Love (not obscure per se, but more likely to be new to people than most of what's been mentioned).
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 03:42:13 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'd love to see the board's reaction to, say, Geek Love (not obscure per se, but more likely to be new to people than most of what's been mentioned).


I'd be really into that.  I looked it up after you guys talked about it a while ago, and it seems like something I would dig, in a scarring sort of way.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2005, 04:44:21 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

Yes, arkabee, I brought the deviled eggs.  Yes I forgot the paprika.  Yes they suck, but I can't help but notice that you're eating them anyway.


i like the devilled eggs, and as opposite as my intentions turned out to be, it was my poor attempt to say "hey, their her devilled eggs if you don't like them don't eat them" and thank you again for the devilled eggs,
and more importantly,
i thinkt he venue in which you are giving the devilled eggs away is excellent, ie i think the book club idea is an excellent idea, especially giventhe nature and "community" of this particular forum.

also, i am a lout, and apologize for putting my feet on your coffee table and will do my utmost to stfu and stop eating all the eggs and leave some for the other people and etc.


Quote from: "side_show"

As for the whole democracy and it's failings thing,


i am, in hindsight, full of shit because the founder of the book club in question is proposing a democratic choice fo books; proposing the scenario from the book club founder's position of absolute authority as founder of said book club.  the, um, duality?, dichotomy?, um, the SOMETHING of the situation should have jumped out and hit me in the face with the obviousness of it and such i went off on an ill-conceived and absolutely unnecessary and completely counter productive tangent to the argument in my hand which was:

the book club founder can do what ever they want.

which, my issue with book voting, had i taken the time to think, clearly shows that the book club founder is doing what they want for the book club.

i have proposed a judgement and cited example to uphold the judgement, and concluded the judgement as correct, all the while the example proves the exact opposite of what i had judged.  i am an idiot and best reserved for a stand in for Goofus in an episode of "Goofus and Gallant".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2005, 04:50:56 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Assuming the project doesn't fall through and/or suck out loud like the other Vonnegut movies.

Hey!  Both Slaughterhouse Five and Mother Night were pretty darn good movies.

But Breakfast of Champions is so bad that it cancels those out. And last time I check the Greatful Dead own the rights to Sirens of Titan. Which is just . . . weird.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2005, 04:55:30 pm »

I am part of a Wake reading group now, filled mostly with grad students and college professors, and we get through about a page a week - sometimes not even that.

It's been two years and well, we're barely along.  I've read the whole thing twice now, although don't ask me to explain it.  So I wasn't be sarcastic, but seriously, after studying the Wake reading some stupid contempo novel just seems so... unsatisfying.

But a few of the above are good choices.  I've actually never read Tropic of Capricorn, but I think you'll want to have Cancer under your belt before taking it on.

Also, I'd be up for any Palahniuk other than Fight Club.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2005, 05:01:02 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Assuming the project doesn't fall through and/or suck out loud like the other Vonnegut movies.

Hey!  Both Slaughterhouse Five and Mother Night were pretty darn good movies.

But Breakfast of Champions is so bad that it cancels those out. And last time I check the Greatful Dead own the rights to Sirens of Titan. Which is just . . . weird.


Not so surprising if you know that their music publishing company is called "Ice Nine Publishing".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Oprah be damned (the book club thread)
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2005, 08:19:29 pm »

Catching up with this thread, I remembered that I have a serious problem, which is that I can't read any fiction anymore except mysteries.  I no longer understand the point of reading about fake people unless one of them is dead and we don't know why.  The only thing mentioned in this whole thread that I could likely tolerate would be rereading John Le Carre.  The only regular sort of fiction I have managed to read in the last few years was American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  If any of the books are sort of like that one, could someone point that out?  Otherwise I think I will have to just lurk.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up