Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Poll

Would you watch it?

Yes
- 5 (27.8%)
No
- 11 (61.1%)
Only to take notes for my upcoming procedure
- 2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 18, 2005, 10:53:00 pm


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Entertaining TV  (Read 22983 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 05:30:32 am »

Indeed, Will Farrell just does fart jokes for frat daddies, but Jimmy Fallon is more than that.  He's truly offensive.  In the good old days, we nailed his sort to trees.
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 05:33:27 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
...(what's-her-name from Alias. With the big forehead).


Kinda looks like a hoss?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 05:40:10 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
(what's-her-name from Alias. With the big forehead).


I read that and thought, oh, ******** ******!
(name removed to protect the children)
Then I realized that I knew her name and recoiled in horror. I spent the next hour crying.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 07:43:08 am »

Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
Indeed, Will Farrell just does fart jokes for frat daddies, but Jimmy Fallon is more than that.  He's truly offensive.  In the good old days, we nailed his sort to trees.


And guess who is apparently in the movie of I Dream of Jeanie. Ugh. Can he manage to not look at the fuck*ng camera?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Imperator Severn

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armeniancaper.com
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 10:25:12 am »

The real question is, "Can he manage to not be in front of the camera?"
Logged
Mueran todos los reyes.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 04:24:34 pm »

How do you think Anchorman is funny. How do you do it. I thought Will Ferell was actually pretty good in it, but it was everyone around him I hated. Especially Steve Carell's character. He made me want to slit my wrists towards the end of the movie. I thank god every day that they have yet to make Hot Topic shirts with Steve Carrell quotes from Anchorman on them.

Anyways, that just brings up a weird thing about Will Ferell for me. I hate pretty much every movie he's been in. Old School, Ancorman, Bewitched, that one soccer one. And yet, I still like him somehow.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 04:49:27 pm »

I liked Elf.  It was actually a pretty decent holiday movie (although the last half hour I think I started checking my email on my PDA).

Kicking & Screaming was pretty funny too, although it oscillated between really annoying/stupid and funny.

The show Arrested Development is like that too.  It'll go from unbelieveably inspid, the worst that sitcoms have to offer, to twisted and funny, often during the same show segment.  It's infuriating at times, because when it's funny, it's REALLY funny, but dang, the Forrest Gump brother (Buster) just needs to be left out of the show.

And Portia di Rossi needs to wear a lot less.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 05:04:25 pm »

Double the post, double the fun.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 05:05:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I liked Elf.  It was actually a pretty decent holiday movie (although the last half hour I think I started checking my email on my PDA).

Kicking & Screaming was pretty funny too, although it oscillated between really annoying/stupid and funny.

The show Arrested Development is like that too.  It'll go from unbelieveably inspid, the worst that sitcoms have to offer, to twisted and funny, often during the same show segment.  It's infuriating at times, because when it's funny, it's REALLY funny, but dang, the Forrest Gump brother (Buster) just needs to be left out of the show.

And Portia di Rossi needs to wear a lot less.


How often do you watch AD? Buster isn't anything like Forrest Gump. Also, please cite specific examples of insipidness. Not because I want to go on some rabid obsessive fan rant about how you're wrong, I just am kind of curious as to what you have found to be bad on the show.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 05:46:06 pm »

Quote from: "jough"


And Portia di Rossi needs to wear a lot less.


Oh yes...

And erm, I guess it's because Buster kind of reminds me of someone I know that makes it slightly less annoying.
It can be fairly mediocre, and even a bit trite at points, but it can also be damned funny. I enjoyed it thoroughly as something to download and watch while feeling shitty.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 05:49:55 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I blame John Travolta for the Scientologists giving "free stress tests" in the middle of the fuck*ng 42nd street/Times Square subway stop, at rush hour. FUCKERS.


Boz, you DO realize that by posting this on the Internet, The Scientologists will now sue you for saying it... Jough for hosting it... me for commenting on it... and everyone else here for reading it, right?

Word has it they'll use our money to buy Katie Holmes a new family.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2005, 05:52:44 pm »

No, they'll probably just steal my fuck*ng brain using the hypnotic powers of Tom Cruise's giant teeth.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 06:06:30 pm »

Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 06:08:04 pm »

I'm just done the second disc of the first season.  When I get the third I'll start to post an insipid journal.

But for example, pretty much anything involving Buster is unfunny.  Although I did laugh at "Hey Hermano" and also laughed at how quickly (like, five shows) that it took them to make a joke about the seemingly un-jokeable catch phrase "Hey brother."

Liza Minelli just being on the show is not in itself "funny."  You have to give her funny things to do.  Trying to keep her balance isn't funny.  It's insipid.  It's annoying.

And in general I like physical comedy, slapstick, etc.

The mother character can at times be a bit trite and annoying too.  

Will Arnett should be in pretty much every scene.  I never would have thought the phrase "I should go to South America" would ever be hilarious, but it is when he says it.

Anyway, I'll cite more specific examples when I watch another episode.  There's something incredibly stupid in each one!

<just then an arm goes flying onto your screen>

AND THAT IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T QUESTION SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION ON THE INTERNET

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Really Entertaining TV
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 06:19:03 pm »

There are things that crack me up in the general background of that show that keep me watching (that and Portia Di Rossia..holy crap)

The staircase truck
The banana stand
The dad's twin brother
The spelling of Gob's name
Gob's Segway
The general presence of David Cross
The general presence of Henry Winkler
Maebe's name and the tension between the cousins


I kind of look at this show kind of like 'Soap' (any of y'all remember 'Soap'?) - it's tough to like EVERYTHING because there is way more going on than in a normal TV program week-to-week, but there is definitely stuff you like and follow.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up