Let me tell you about a bad movie. This bad movie is called What Dreams May Come. In this movie, Cuba Gooding Jr. helps Robin Williams rescue his wife from hell. The movie mistakes lavish (yet cliche) set pieces for emotional resonance, and psychobabble for dialogue. There is no coherent plot. The acting was wincingly bad, like I had to avert my eyes from the screen, but I can't tell if that was the director's fault, or the actors' fault, or just the fact that the screenplay was so goddamn terrible. Worst of all, I saw it with a bunch of people who thought it was brilliant so I had to pretend it had some redeeming features. "It was ... good," I said. "Very colorful! Robin Williams was ... a ... famous person!"
Oh yeah, and Robin Williams plays himself as a 20-year-old youth in a flashback. I have elaborate machinery for suspending my disbelief - pulleys, reinforced rope, etc. - but that shit was unhoistable.
Regarding movies that I expected to hate but actually liked: In Her Shoes. I was sure it was going to be trash after seeing the trailer, but it turned out to be a skillfully-made, well-written movie. Never schmaltzy, never over-the-top. Unlike other chick flicks it actually earned its emotional impact. This has been movie minute with aparrish.