Tara had a unique worldview.
Not that unique. This was the exact argument I heard in Alabama, where as I recall:
No packaged alcohol can be sold after midnight.
No alcohol can be served after 2 AM.
Establishments which serve alcohol must get at least 50 percent of their revenue from food items*.
Except in 2-3 counties which have legalized it, no alcohol may be served or sold on Sunday outside of private clubs, and then only after noon.
Grocery stores can sell beer, wine, and "coolers," but not hard liquor.
Gas stations can sell beer and "coolers," but the vessels can not be larger than 20oz.
Liquor stores can operate independently, and sell any form of alcohol.
State ABC stores sell any form of alcohol, and generally more cheaply, but I don't believe they are open on Sundays.
A church in my college town successfully prevented an Outback Steakhouse from being built by lobbying to refuse to grant them "private club" status (and thus preventing them from selling alcohol on Sundays). This was because the proposed site was just down the block from the church, and I guess all those eight dollar Aussie-ritas would entice their loyal flock into lives of excess and debauchery.
I heard stories from parties at Mississippi State that you couldn't buy cold alcohol there, so any party would include a large cooler (or bathtub) full of icewater to quickly cool it down. Mythbusters in action!
*A mini-expose about the creative bookkeeping involved in maintaining this ratio was interesting. For instance, any non-alcoholic portion of a drink (the orange juice in a screwdriver, the coke in a rum and coke, a wedge of lime, soda water) would be tabulated as food, AND its price would be based on the proportion of that mixer to the drink as a whole. So if you bought a $5 Jack and Coke and the Coke was 4/5ths of the drink, $4 would go on the food budget.