That must've come as a great shock to the person who bought the ticket pictured with the results bullentin. "What do you mean I have to..." followed by a punch to the head.
Sort of Fight-Club-esque. You can't just watch, and so on. You have to fight. Very testosterone-y.
Anyway, this reminds me of back-alley cat squalls, and suggests that these cat squalls are actually the Underground's version of organized boxing. I've definitely seen several cats (or several dogs, or squirrels, and so on) gang up on each other and basically beat the crap out of each other until one is left standing. I think the 3000 is actually just a publicity-type number which really means "however many cats show up to fight" (which could be 3000, or less, or more). This means that your average cat-fight is just practice for the Real Thing.
HOWEVER. How long do cats live? Not that long, right? I had two when I was little, and they didn't live past middle school. So how is it possible that Ray's Dad fought in '73? That's too many years ago. I hate to find a glitch in Onstad's perfect work, but ... I think I did. ::sob:: Somebody give me a rational explanation, quick.