Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...  (Read 14669 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2006, 05:53:17 am »

Oh, man, I accidentally shoot people all the damn time.  It ain't no thing.

Cheney shoots *one* guy and everybody's up his ass about it.  That shit just ain't right.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2006, 06:04:32 am »

Doc, thanks for catching that I wasn't asking any "should" questions. Second, Doc, "current affairs" shows have been called "news shows" (even though they're full of pundits and opinion) for about as long as the Fox News channel has been on the air. Aug, I wouldn't be worked up if I didn't think it was a pattern-of-behavior type thing.

It's my opinion that this administration has gotten away with much worse crimes than hunting accidents (which are rarely crimes, unless iirc hunting licenses are in question or alchohol is involved), and yes, it would be hilariously ironic if the consipracy theorists were vindicated by the veep going down for this.

I have to say, first and foremost obviously the priority is getting appropriate care for the victim. Secondly, and only because of the nature of the shooter's position, would be to inform the public, and personally at that, that such an event had happend (the 2nd VP in the history of the US to shoot a person, and the first since Aaron Burr?!). Third, to inform the President, due to the fact that he's his only boss, that a week or two might be needed to both aid in the victim's recovery from the injury and recover from the shock of the incident, as well as put on notice that until that time has elapsed, the Speaker of the House should be considered #2 in the line of succession. Fourth, and finally, a terrible night's rest.

I completely agree with Auggie's statement re: "SOP for this administration." You missed a very important part of that SOP though, which is to contest that the accused behavior isn't illegitimate in the first place (ref. tapping, torture, rendition, etc.).

At least in the 70's when we caught the Prez breaking the law we had the balls and power to do something about it. What the hell has happened to this country? We don't even protest when we believe election fraud has occurred, for $Deity's sake! That does it, I guess. Im'a hafta quit my job and become an activist.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

StopAreClosed

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2006, 09:58:35 am »

The title of this thread reminds me of a scene from Michael Moore's short lived TV show, "The Awful Truth."

If memory serves me correctly the original line, during the witch hunt scene was, "Orrin Hatch killed a man just to watch him die!"

My friends and I would quote that from time to time because of the absurdity of it all, never thinking that it might actually play out. All of the sudden, I'm forced into questioning Bush's "choking on the pretzel" of 3 or 4 years ago . . .
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2006, 12:33:42 pm »

John Stewart: "it's pretty exciting that the press corps. finally has something it can really sink it's teeth into."
Fake reporter: "I know. this whole story just doesn't add up... I mean, if he was shot, why are there about 40 pellets? I believe that 39 additional shooters were involved.
I think this scandal may go all the way to... *looks around* the vice-president of the United States."


Also:
*woman asks another annoying question, and the clip cuts her off partway through*
"thankfully, president Cheney ended that line of questioning by shooting that woman in the face, neck, and upper torso"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2006, 03:08:05 pm »

I completely agree with Auggie's statement re: "SOP for this administration."


this is what's killing me,
it's not that it's SOP for the Executive Branch,
it's SOP for EVERYfuck*ngTHING.

maybe it's just birthday bullshit,
but it's like year after year the public accepts more and more shit
as "normal".

"oh ya, honey,
the Vice President shooting a man is
The New Normal,
we don't even need to talk about Illegal Accounting Practices in Corporations that Provide Utility Power to Gigantic Population Centrers,
that's just _so_ last year".

what.  the.  fuck.???

each year,
the bar get's lowered,
and i shake my head.
repeat,
ad nauseum.


there's no dignity left in the world.
none.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2006, 04:40:59 pm »

Arkabee, how can we help you out of your depression?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2006, 04:44:27 pm »

Arkabee, how can we help you out of your depression?

~Paul

NO!  I like this version of arkabee!  I am like a Japanese fangirl for this ark release.  Ranty Ark 4EVER OMGLOL!!!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2006, 04:56:46 pm »

NO!  I like this version of arkabee!  I am like a Japanese fangirl for this ark release.  Ranty Ark 4EVER OMGLOL!!!

Despite Wombat's protest to the contrary, Arkabee is a real person with real feelings.  I'm sure were powerless to help, but we should care.  You've lost your first can from me Mr. Q...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2006, 05:02:41 pm »

Paul Paul Paul,

I'm disappointed you would think I would not care.  Is Ark depressed?  I don't know.  Is he angry at the current state of things.  yes.

So I suppose if he's depressed then yes, I agree; I just don't think he is, it is up to him to tell us.

However, have a can anyway, because I am at least happy you provided a reason for your swift and terrible can justice my friend.  I bear no ill wills to anyone, it is a happy ranty day.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2006, 05:14:09 pm »

Just to make sure it's clear, you are ALL my imaginary friends, not just Ark.  But, well, see my current sig.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2006, 05:32:05 pm »

Why is it a stupid question?  because you already know the answer?

i find it sad that i DON'T know the answer.  more importantly, i find it sad that i don't know how the Executive Branch of my country interprets the word "serious" in that question.


Ark, I know that you must believe that there is a difference between a man injured accidentally and a man killed.

Also serious is kind of a relative term - serious in terms of Mr Whittington? Serious in terms of impact on wheat imports from Canada? Is this a moral question or a political one? I think the question could be phrased in a way that makes it more answerable, although I think McClellan maybe would have done better just to straight-facedly answer all the questions in the usual, general, vague manner that press secretaries have always answered them.

Because the Vice-President was not doing things related to work at the time, and because what happened was an accident, I don't think there was any coverup. The local news was given this story nearly immediately; the incident occurred on private property; there is no implication of national policy, foreign, domestic, or otherwise being affected in any way here and, therefore, no real reason in my opinion to convene the White House Press Corps.

This is why I don't see this story as much of anything but a report on something that happened that was unfortunate, but given that these men were engaged in a sport involving firearms, and that literally hundreds of people are injured every year doing it, it's not that big a deal (assuming Mr Whittington makes a full recovery, which it seems he will).

Not as big a deal (to my mind)  as, say, prosecutable sexual harassment of an intern, lying under oath, or drunk driving and leaving a young woman in the wrecked car to drown while you get your lawyer, PR person, and breath mints all in order. This was a hunting accident with very light weapons, which is a good thing for Mr. Whittington - but still a tragic circumstance which shouldn't happen.

Ark, I take no umbrage with your anger. Your anger is at the administration and it's policies - and the press is falling over itself foolishly trying to make political hay out of this but really, there's nothing there and many people are making fools of themselves trying. It's a trap, though.

Anger is a bad place to be when a situation is a long way out of your control. Channel that into something you can do something about - otherwise it will leave you with bitterness and ulcers.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2006, 06:25:28 pm »

If you're Hispanic, and you accidentally shoot someone in a hunting accident in Texas, you get charged with manslaughter.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2006, 06:43:36 pm »

i'm not depressed.
i have not been depressed in quite some time.
if i was younger,
my depression days would have coincided with thje Emo-Lution of pop music,
and with my penchant for dressing poorly,
i would have been a pop icon,
mumbling sad "songs" about girls i never spoke to.

now,
now that i am older, and angrier,
now the days of grunge are gone.

alas.



---

-DELETED-

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2006, 07:14:45 pm »

If you're Hispanic, and you accidentally shoot someone in a hunting accident in Texas, you get charged with manslaughter.

In most jurisdictions, if a person is killed under other than natural circumstances a case has to be opened. The prosecutor can decide how far to pursue charges and if his decision is predicated on the national origin or heritage of the individual on whom the case is focused, that's obviously wrong.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Cheney: I shot a man in Texas just to watch him die...
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2006, 07:21:18 pm »

I'm being a bit flip with the racial reference there, but my point is that there's a big disparity between "They mistakenly shot a human being...It's reckless. It's inexcusable," as the sheriff in that story is quoted as saying, and the "It's not really that big a deal, I get shot with pellets all the time, it's the victim's fault for standing behind him" that seems to be coming from some quarters in this case.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up