Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent shows  (Read 22184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 06:59:59 pm »

Umphrey's McGee are playing this month or next around here.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 11:37:05 pm »

I saw Sigur Ros a few weeks ago.  It was a great show and I was moved to tears by two songs, but it still paled in comparison to the time I saw them on the ( ) tour.  The vocals and crazy bowed guitar sounds are truly moving, and they know how to put on a minimalist Euro video show that will give a dead man chills.  See them if they come to your town.

You saw Sigur Rós?  I am terribly jealous.  Did they play mostly songs from Takk, or did they mix it up a bit?  I would have loved to see them during the ( ) tour.

I saw the opening show of Béla Fleck and the Flecktones' new tour, but I've mentioned it on another thread.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 12:48:04 am »

Umphrey's McGee are playing this month or next around here.

They sure put on a great show.  Not only do they have amazing songs and jam sections live, they covered King Crimson, Allman Brothers, some kinda hardcore metal song, and for the encore they had Huey Lewis come out and play two songs.  Went about three hours, pretty outstanding show.

Thousand times better live than their recordings, which are pretty decent anyway.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 01:04:59 am »

Sorry, Paul.  I'm spending a week up in Seattle, so I'm seeing them up in that area.

Anyway, yeah, not much in the way of shows so far this year, but Built to Spill and Calexico should be touring extensively behind their upcoming albums, so cross your fingers.  Both bands usually make in this way if they are in the Western US.  Also, Band of Ho rses, which seems to be an OK band, will be in Salt Lake this Saturday.  I might go to that one.

Actually, I keep a list of shows I'm thinking about checking out:

  • Sat 03/11/06 Band of hosss Kilby Court
  • Tue 03/28/06 Gatsby's American Dream In The Venue
  • Sat 04/01/06 Rocky Votolato Velour Provo
  • Sun 04/16/06 Dinosaur Jr. The Depot
  • Fri 04/28/06 Pretty Girls Make Graves Avalon Theatre
  • Tue 05/02/06 Acid Mother's Temple Kilby Court or Urban Lounge w/The Antacticans?
  • Wed 05/24/06 Gatsby's American Dream Avalon Theatre

All shows are in Salt Lake unless otherwise noted.  Gatsby's American Dream and Rocky Votolato are only OK.  I'm only going because I know some of the guys, and I might not even go even given that.

As far as stuff down your way...good luck.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 02:57:14 am »

03/18: Mudhoney. Bleh. A friend of my wife invited me to go and meet the band (he knows them) last time through, but I didn't go. This is a CD release show.
03/22: Ghostface Killah. Who am I kidding?
03/22: Death Cab for Cutie and Franz Ferdinand. Firstly, they're charging way too much and it's at the Coliseum. Also, I've seen them both in smaller settings.
03/31: Dirtbombs. I like them, but I'll be at work.
04/08: John Doe. This might be cool. Again, I'll be at work.
04/08: The Umphrey's Mcgee show. See above.
04/26: Yeah Yeah Yeahs. No, no, no.
05/04: Sigur Ros. Hmm, work.
05/28: The Steven Seagal Blues Band. Read that again. I'd rather the guys from .38 Special move into my basement and practice there for the rest of my life than have the Steven Seagal Blues Band even exist. Steven Seagal has the blues? Steven Seagal is a carrier of the blues. Jesus, who came up with this idea? Dan Aykroyd and John Goodman?
07/16: Slayer. OK, now I'm just fucking around.

I think we'll go to Spike & Mike's this weekend.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 03:17:35 am »

Steven Seagal is a carrier of the blues.

Whoa, something about many people in my life has suddenly become crystal clear.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 05:31:05 am »

The Steven Segal Blues Band?  Wow.  Actually, I'm happy that exists, just for comic value.  I'm thinking instead of a harmonica solo, Segal presents a virtuso performance of load-bearing bone breaking (using pool cues, beer bottles, bar stool supports et al) all the while wearing the slightest grimace on his passive mug. 

Then he impales you on a severed guitar neck.  EXCELLENT!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 08:30:22 am »

9 February 2006: Children of Bodom. Quite enjoyed it overall, the other people at the show made me feel old though. No mosh pit for me.

1 March 2006: Toto. Yes, Toto. Now a couple of years back I practically barfed if I heard a Toto song anywhere (meaning if I heard Africa anywhere, seeing as that was the only Toto song I recognized), but then something happened. I don't know if GTA Vice City is to blame or what, but I started listening to them first with a ironic, detached, "man this AOR stuff is funny and lame" attitude, but it all went horribly wrong and I found myself enjoying the music enough to go see them. Alone, naturally, seeing as I didn't even dare suggest to any of my friends to go with me.

And it was god damn GREAT. Band started on time. No unnecessary support acts. The best sound I've ever heard in the crappy old Helsinki icehall. And there's just something about seeing a band on stage that absolutely enjoys what they do, and enjoys being there, and enjoys playing for the people. I got shivers during several songs and afterwards couldn't stop smiling. Yeah, I guess I AM old.

21 April and 22 April 2006: Anthrax. Okay I'm still not crazy about the fact that they got rid of John Bush to get the "classic" line-up going again (yes it does smell like money), but who am I kidding - this is going to kick ALL SORTS OF ASS.

Also, I heard tix go on sale next Monday for a Guns N Roses show in July. O...kay. I'm a little torn about this. Maybe I should just hang on to my memories of the two great GNR shows in '91 (or was it '92?) instead of going to see Axl, a guy with a bucket on his head, and some other wankers.

Wow, I do ramble don't I.

HonkyTonkHooker

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 12:15:20 pm »

In the last few months Ive been to see these bands. I guess its mostly American bands you guys are talking about but there must be a few UK people here.

Little Man Tate, Bromheads Jacket, Milburn, Vincent and the Villains, The Chalets, Azuma Vega, Kiwis Ned, Headstock, Graham Coxon, Stuffy & The Fuses, The Noisettes, The Rakes, Louie, The Veras, Chuck, Repomen, General Dissaray, The Sufrajets, Dirty Pretty Things

Little Man Tate are the best by far, probably the best live band in the UK at the moment. Anyone who gets a chance should go and see them. Bromheads Jacket are also very good as were The Rakes. The rest are either up and coming bands or local support or just plain bad.....anyways get yourselves to some gigs UK dudes.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 01:51:55 pm »

I'd rather the guys from .38 Special move into my basement and practice there for the rest of my life than have the Steven Seagal Blues Band even exist. Steven Seagal has the blues? Steven Seagal is a carrier of the blues.

I gave you a tcodp for that, but then I had to take it away because I nearly choked on my tea.

[insert name here] HAS the blues, they're a carrier of the blues.  Man I love it, Its' pure comic gold.  It kills.  Kills!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 02:05:27 pm »

Let's see. I saw The New Pornographers in October at 9:30 with Destroyer opening (Immaculate Machine opened for them, but we were late and missed them). Dan Bejar could not have seemed less interested in being there. He only came out for 3 NP songs, had to be coaxed out each time, and didn't even bother to set his beer down. Carl Newman's speaking voice was higher than I expected. At least once both keyboard players were using those little plastic keyboards that you have to blow into. Classic.

In November was one of Mary Pranksters last ever shows before retiring the character at Jammin' Java. It was great fun and more than a little sad. I really wish she'd gone back to her old philosophy of "no encores, I just play every song I know straight through" because there were a couple of songs that I wanted to hear one last time. She at least played her cover of Don't Bury Me by The Shit (does anybody have the original version of that? I'd love to hear it).

Local legends Colouring Lesson have played a bunch of shows since reforming but they keep picking dates that down't work for me. Dave Hill must hate me.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 03:52:45 pm »

Toto.

I have to admit that I checked Toto's tour page just a few weeks ago and was pretty upset they weren't coming close to Kansas City.  I've been on a somewhat unfortunate (but very, very smooth) Yacht Rock kick lately.  The Doobie Brothers are going to be within a day's drive in August, though.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 03:54:37 pm »

Dan Bejar could not have seemed less interested in being there. He only came out for 3 NP songs, had to be coaxed out each time, and didn't even bother to set his beer down.

He seemed downright stumbly drunk in Lawrence, KS. 
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 04:41:05 pm »

9 February 2006: Children of Bodom. Quite enjoyed it overall, the other people at the show made me feel old though. No mosh pit for me.


I would go and see these guys, but every time I see their name, I assume they meant Children of Sodom, and the first few times they played someone misread the line-up.

1 March 2006: Toto. Yes, Toto. Now a couple of years back I practically barfed if I heard a Toto song anywhere (meaning if I heard Africa anywhere, seeing as that was the only Toto song I recognized)


No, you know the song Roseanna. It's the really famous one, about David Arquette's big sister.

Also, Ministry is playing here soon, but I just know Alien would be all on the nod and shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 05:34:43 pm »

You saw Sigur Rós?  I am terribly jealous.  Did they play mostly songs from Takk, or did they mix it up a bit?  I would have loved to see them during the ( ) tour.

Mostly Takk, which I'm still getting to know, but they did play a few that I recognized from Agaetis and ().  I don't really think of their songs as individual pieces, so I'm not the best source for details.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up