Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The dreaded gridiron again  (Read 12339 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 07:38:16 pm »

At least there's no pretense in Golf or Tennis.  You KNOW who Tiger Woods is playing for.


What about the Ryder Cup?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:25 pm »

You KNOW who Tiger Woods is playing for.

~Paul

Sure.  Nike and Buick.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 08:23:47 pm »

Sure.  Nike and Buick.

This reminds me, in gold does "Classic" actually mean anything? A few years ago the Congressional Open was renamed the Jerkwad McLamo Classic or somesuch (only newscasters used the new name) but how can they name something "Classic" right off the bat like that? Especially since as far as I could tell the Congressional Open had been retconned out of existence.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 09:38:41 pm »

I wonder if Drew Brees is kicking himself for holding out a bit, and not ending up in Miami. I don't think he will shine as brightly in New Orleans as he did in San Diego, when he was assisted by arguably the best RB and TE in football right now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 12:07:02 am »

Back to football: Good luck with the Phillip Rivers Era, 'Bolts.

Oh god.  Don't remind me.  Though I think the real loser will now be Jay Cutler, who'll probably drop out of the top 10.

On the other hand, I hear that the Colts have agreed to a deal with Adam Vinatieri.  One would hope that wherever Vanderjagt ends up he'll have finally learned not to talk to anyone about anything ever again.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 02:10:36 pm »

I don't know if it was latent disinterest or something else, but it seems like the WBC suffered from incredibly poor coverage.  I didn't catch one game, even though at its start I was interested and was searching the papers and internet for schedules.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 03:33:52 am »

A lot of the games were on ESPN Deportes, which actually made them more watchable to a great degree.  Just like World Cup soccer.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 03:35:49 am »

A lot of the games were on ESPN Deportes, which actually made them more watchable to a great degree.  Just like World Cup soccer.

I watched the Chargers beat the Colts on ESPN Deportes. That fucking ruled.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 03:59:34 am »

Huh, I'll have to try that.  I wonder if we get ESPN Deportes on Directv.

I was watching a subtitled movie the other night on IFC (Y Tu Mama Tambien, or something like that, it was good...) and I was surprised by how much Spanish I could follow.  Just words here and there, but that was more than I expected.  Maybe I can watch Channel Ocho and pick up the language.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 03:05:14 pm »

Since this has become kind of an all-purpose sports thread...
Who's a George Mason alum?
Me (I am). 
w000000000000000000000t!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 03:06:39 pm »

Excellent!  Go Patriots!

Connecticut deserved to have their asses kicked.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 12:51:15 pm »

Who would have guessed that in a state with two teams in the ACC, where basketball often comes in before religion on people's priority lists, that George Mason would be the best team in the state.

I hope they win, because I want someone from there to say, "Who the hell is George Mason? The 2006 NCAA champs, bitches!" And because I love it when teams that are supposed to fade away quietly knock off big dawgs and take it for themselves.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 01:48:53 pm »

I think the sports guys just really enjoyed being able to say "all 3 Georges advance." Until, you know, -town and Washington lost.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 02:42:57 pm »

I hope they win, because I want someone from there to say, "Who the hell is George Mason? The 2006 NCAA champs, bitches!" And because I love it when teams that are supposed to fade away quietly knock off big dawgs and take it for themselves.

Actually, we like to say "Father of the Motherfuckin' Bill of Rights!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 09:10:28 pm »

I hope they win, because I want someone from there to say, "Who the hell is George Mason? The 2006 NCAA champs, bitches!" And because I love it when teams that are supposed to fade away quietly knock off big dawgs and take it for themselves.

As someone who has long held resentment towards the "pair the lowest-seed with the highest-seed" system (I blame middle-school gym), I too love upsets. I'm still riotously proud of our hometown Northwestern State for managing to win a game and almost beat WVU; you go, boys!
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up