Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Poll

Wanna Do a Mixdisc Trade?

Yes
- 16 (61.5%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I'll say yes, but i'll never do it
- 7 (26.9%)
I don't want to hear your crappy music
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24


Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: MixDisc '06  (Read 56943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2006, 06:07:41 am »

man...
I am so at a loss as to what to put on my mix.
so far it is one track: "Burning House of Love"
do you all know this song?

Will this be like when I asked my dad if he'd ever heard the song "Stairway to Heaven" when I was in 7th grade?

I'm thinking that I'll post the tracklist, and you can tell me if any of the songs are not worth putting on it. My mixes are not a science... so it won't have a theme or anything. It will be "my favorite songs", and maybe I'll switch some out for HoJul's version (since I already sent her a mix for her birthday).

and of course, remember that I am not sending you a message with these songs. "Let's Kiss" by Beat Happening is not a message to anyone. Nor is "get the fuck away I'll cut you Q, I'm serious I told you not to show up here like this" by my future band.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2006, 10:50:18 am »

I still intend to make a mix, however work is stone cold crazy, and finals are coming up. I'll get to it next week. Please, could all y'all set aside one for me? I'll go through and pm everybody with requests once I'm done going completely insane.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2006, 12:54:57 pm »


Will this be like when I asked my dad if he'd ever heard the song "Stairway to Heaven" when I was in 7th grade?


Aw that is so cute.

Inev, you are missing the spirit of the enterprise.  Do not ask for approval.  Have the courage of your convictions.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2006, 01:36:28 pm »

Yeah, dude, it's man time, and you got to step correct.  Just make your mix and the good lord will provide. 

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2006, 10:05:15 pm »

I'll get to the PMing..

I've been such a slacker on my mix... all I know is how the beginning will go and it has yet to have a theme.
I may even do another keyboard ditty I make up in the midst of it as an interlude... it has yet to come together though.. and I need my musician friend to master it once I'm done -- he hasn't been around lately.. audacity is good for some editing, but I know nothing about compression and all that jazz.

Soon, yes soon... most likely it'll be as eclectic as my other mixes.
The Books, Orange Juice, The Boy Who Spoke Clouds, The Oranges Band and Birdmonster are some of the bands that shall make it on there... you can PM if you are interested based on that alone...
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2006, 01:44:17 am »

My mix is about half-assembled, but most of all of my days lately have been putting rats in boxes and taking them out again, so I'm not ready yet. Hopefully soon, though.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2006, 04:56:37 pm »

Theres a good Canadian folk song about pirates, well... privateers anyhow.

Written by Stan Rogers, about a Nova Scotian who got messed up when their privateer ship ended up getting blown to bits.

Turns out, Nova Soctians had a large history of privateering against the Colonial ships.   They didn't care much for the Colonies raiding their coastal cities.   King George didn't much care for the colonies around this time either (The song is set in 1778), and gave a bunch of ships permission to ransack Colonial ships.

From what I understand, privateering was safe(ish).  You'd slide on up, yell "Avast!" and take the loot from the other ship.   The victims wouldn't put up a fight, since privateers would leave you alive, and your ship afloat. 

(The song goes a little differently.)

I can't track down the song, (Not while at work, anyhow) but have some lyrics.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2006, 05:02:05 pm »

Theres a good Canadian folk song about pirates, well... privateers anyhow.

Written by Stan Rogers, about a Nova Scotian who got messed up when their privateer ship ended up getting blown to bits.

Turns out, Nova Soctians had a large history of privateering against the Colonial ships.   They didn't care much for the Colonies raiding their coastal cities.   King George didn't much care for the colonies around this time either (The song is set in 1778), and gave a bunch of ships permission to ransack Colonial ships.

From what I understand, privateering was safe(ish).  You'd slide on up, yell "Avast!" and take the loot from the other ship.   The victims wouldn't put up a fight, since privateers would leave you alive, and your ship afloat. 

(The song goes a little differently.)

I can't track down the song, (Not while at work, anyhow) but have some lyrics.

Yes yes, I am well well versed in shanties, unfortunately most things in that song are LIES LIES LIES.  I am sorry I had to take you to the school in the car of pain on this.   
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2006, 05:36:59 pm »

Oh, I had no illusions that it was an oral history handed down through song.

It was written in the 70s by a folk singer.  The events in the song are historically plausible.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2006, 05:42:15 pm »

Indeed, I apologize for coming off as such as a dick in this case.  ( I just re-read this because work intruded and realized I was sound all... dickular... it was not my intention)

Anyway, yes we agree...


So... there's that then.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2006, 05:55:15 pm »

That song is hell of fun to sing in a large unembarrassed group. I like it better than most Stan Rogers songs for that reason. "Lies" does not have the quality of hollering and stomping like Barrett's Privateers.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2006, 05:59:23 pm »

That song is hell of fun to sing in a large unembarrassed group. I like it better than most Stan Rogers songs for that reason. "Lies" does not have the quality of hollering and stomping like Barrett's Privateers.

It does if it's that Violent Femmes song!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2006, 06:53:44 pm »

Indeed, I apologize for coming off as such as a dick in this case.  ( I just re-read this because work intruded and realized I was sound all... dickular... it was not my intention)

I didn't read it as dickish.    I took it for SASS.

Also:

I am totally down with the merriment that Ben-San describes.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2006, 12:14:05 pm »

UPDATE:  All mixes are burned and should be going out tomorrow (hopefully).
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2006, 12:53:45 am »

"Barrett's Privateers" is one of the best songs to sing in a huge group of unashamed people, yes. It's the Very Favorite Song of a dear friend who has the worst singing voice I've ever heard on a human being, and he will sing it given any opportunity. (He also does an extremely fabulous repetoire of Warren Zevon songs; there's nothing like barrelling down the highway at night while your tone-deaf driver is working his way through "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.")
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Up