Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannibal Blog  (Read 17308 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2006, 01:08:27 pm »

What the fuck does newspaper class do??

I have no idea, but I hope the final class project involves creating a newspaper-based paper mache donkey piņata full of candies.  Then a big party with nachos that reaches a crescendo that involves smacking it open - like breaking a mighty Hoover damn of mini boxes of Smarties, Cherry Blasters and Peanut Butter cups.  If so, I am so there.

...Sorry, I have these day dreams...

I assume the class is like a current events class, right?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2006, 01:45:31 pm »

I have no idea, but I hope the final class project involves creating a newspaper-based paper mache donkey piņata full of candies.  Then a big party with nachos that reaches a crescendo that involves smacking it open - like breaking a mighty Hoover damn of mini boxes of Smarties, Cherry Blasters and Peanut Butter cups.  If so, I am so there.

...Sorry, I have these day dreams...

I assume the class is like a current events class, right?

At my school Newspaper, Yearbook, and Lit Mag were each 0 credit "classes" where we worked on those publications every day. Plus we got to go to that big HS publications conference at Columbia and we had passes that let us leave school after 6th period. Damn, Unbound rocked.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2006, 01:56:34 pm »

I hope the final class project involves creating a newspaper-based paper mache donkey piņata full of candies.  Then a big party with nachos that reaches a crescendo that involves smacking it open - like breaking a mighty Hoover damn of mini boxes of Smarties, Cherry Blasters and Peanut Butter cups.  If so, I am so there.

My piņata theory.

I think that the piņata is pretty wonderful in theory, but it's time has past.  I may be wrong, but I think it's intended for older children.  It's a Mexican birthday tradition so you see them at every Mexican childs birthday party, but by the age of about 10 a child has got zero interest in a pinata so it's only the little kids that play.  Which leaves you with a bunch of enthusiastic young 'uns who are too small to bust open the pinata which totally transforms the game.  As I understand it, the tradition is that the piņata is hung from a tree, the child is blindfolded and placed beneath and the piņata with a stick.  The piņata is swung around to provide a moving target.  The child flails around with his stick until he makes contact and burst the pinata.  The way the game is played today, the blindfold is lost, and the piņata is stationary.  The children take turns whacking at the piņata until it finally cracks open and the candy falls out.  The kids are so small they just don't have the strength to break the piņata.  I'm guessing that when the piņata first came about it was fascinating to a 10-12 year old child, but in a world of television and video games a kid that age cares fuck all about a silly piņata.  So it's left to the very young.  Maybe they make piņatas stronger than they used to?  All I know for sure is that it's fuck*ng painful to watch.  I want to grab that stick and bust the damn thing open myself.  Break it open already you weak ass little punk.  I can't stand a piņata.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2006, 02:01:59 pm »

What kind of people don't use a blindfold? WTF? After that they have Musical Chairs with extra open spaces then play Cranium so everybody can feel like a winner.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2006, 02:05:11 pm »

They don't use the blindfold when the children are 6 and they can hardly hold the pole much less swing it and even when they make contact with the piņata they can't break it.  Weren't you paying attention?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2006, 02:06:19 pm »

That's why they have non-violent pinatas now! Instead of a big ol' mean bat, children each get a string or ribbon to pull to release the good stuff. But of course you don't just have loose candy inside, because then the kids will rush to get all of it, and some children will get their feelings hurt because they'll get less than others. So you pack the pinata full of small bags, one for each child, filled with healthy snacks and small, nonviolent toys.

And all the commies'll need to take us over will be large, pointed sticks.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Piņatas
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2006, 02:14:57 pm »

That's why they have non-violent pinatas now! Instead of a big ol' mean bat.

Mostly Dora the Explorer, Spongebob Square#####, Barbie and (insert popular children's movie character of the moment).  The classic Donkey and Bat are passe.  In a related story, the Grim Reaper has lost his place at the top of the tattoo world usurped by the likes of the Tasmanian Devil.  Sad times...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2006, 03:37:10 pm »

At my last birthday there was a Piņata. 

We were blindfolded, and it would move up and down.   Take that, young'uns!   
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2006, 05:04:21 pm »

I was going to lecture a few weeks ago, and I got to class and realized that the projector had been stolen.  Not only that, but hanging from the projector bracket, secured by the cut chain (which used to secure the projector) was a donkey-shaped pinata.

There was a sombrero in the corner.

I want to read the police report about the theft.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2006, 05:07:22 pm »

At my last birthday there was a Piņata. 

We were blindfolded, and it would move up and down.   Take that, young'uns!

Huzzah!!! Takin' back the streets.

Are you the fella in the wife beater, er... piņata beater that busted that bitch's leg off?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2006, 05:09:39 pm »

Nah, I'm the guy with the ponytail.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2006, 05:15:43 pm »

Okay, I'll admit it:

I was a kid with a non-violent piņata. This was because I didn't like destroying things, and I wanted to both use the piņata and have it after it was done.

It was a nice piņata, though -- so nice, my parents let it hang in our rec room for years. It was a parrot. I loved that fuck*ng thing.

Revelation over. You can beat me with sticks now for being a wuss if you'd like.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2006, 05:40:30 pm »

I was a kid with a non-violent piņata.

Oh no, I thought Mite was making that up.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2006, 06:21:27 pm »

As a veteran of small-child birthday parties which have featured both the ribbon-pull and stick pinatas, I can tell you that the pinatas bought in party stores bear no resemblance to a real papier-mache pinata.

A paper-mache pinata has a certain brittleness to it that makes it breakable. The storebought ones are made of paperboard. They are nearly indestructible using a stick, especially one wielded by anoyne younger than 15. In most cases, before we hang the pinata we cut it a bunch of times with a boxcutter. This makes it possible for a kid to make candy come out of it. If you aren't gonna doctor up the pinata you better give the kids zoot sticks to swing at the fackin' thing.

As for the blindfold - we don't use it because a kid swinging a four foot stick blindfolded will cripple, kill or blind another kid diving for candy. We spin them around a little to make them dizzy and then send them at the pinata.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Cannibal Blog
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2006, 08:07:01 pm »

so, yes. newspaper class is basically "how to write an article,  and then have the hell censored out of it"

we publish the school newspaper. it is so bad.

they censored the word "censorship" from an editorial about the school censoring our internet access. that is probably my favorite story.
in the interview portion,they not only changed their quotes-- they also changed the questions asked.



finally: a math classroom in my school has a diesel sweeties strip on the door. so, either a kid in 8th grade reads diesel sweeties, or the teacher does. hmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up