Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: South Street  (Read 17796 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:36 pm »

I ain't eating nothin' with Doner in the name.

~Paul

Seriously, who wants to go to a Donner Party? Don't eat the long pig if you do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:35:28 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: South Street
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 06:37:34 pm »

Seriously, who wants to go to a Donner Party? Don't eat the long pig if you do.

Hahahahahaha! That's the noise I made when I read this.

It's pretty cool learning about the American West in history. Did you guys ever learn substantial amounts of British or otherwise foreign history? Purely out of interest, of course.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 06:43:32 pm »

I scored a 5 out of 5 on the AP European History Exam. But I forget most of the real specific stuff. I think that for most Americans, you have to be interested in and seek out European history, they don't really 'make' you learn very much of it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 07:33:54 pm »

Hahahahahaha! That's the noise I made when I read this.

It's pretty cool learning about the American West in history. Did you guys ever learn substantial amounts of British or otherwise foreign history? Purely out of interest, of course.

Nothing happened in Europe between the American Revolution and WWI. At least that's what I learned in public school. Oh, and between the Renaissance and 1492 was pretty slow too. Prior to the Black Plague I'm pretty sure western Europe hadn't even been discovered yet.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: South Street
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 07:37:57 pm »

Nothing happened in Europe between the American Revolution and WWI. At least that's what I learned in public school. Oh, and between the Renaissance and 1492 was pretty slow too. Prior to the Black Plague I'm pretty sure western Europe hadn't even been discovered yet.

Thank God you noble Americans pulled us out of the Dark Ages and into the modern world. Without you, we'd still be swinging swords, terrified of anyone not from our hideous continent. (Wait a minute....)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 08:07:44 pm »

Thank God you noble Americans pulled us out of the Dark Ages and into the modern world. Without you, we'd still be swinging swords, terrified of anyone not from our hideous continent. (Wait a minute....)

Don't worry, nothing has happened in America since D-Day. Actually in one of my US History classes we were still in the middle of WWII at the end of the year so the teacher basically said "there was the D-Day invasion, some stuff happened and we won." I've never been in a history class that even acknowledged that Korea or Vietnam exist.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: South Street
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 08:12:40 pm »

Interestingly enough, I had an entire semester-length high school course about Vietnam - but I think I must've been the minority.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: South Street
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 08:13:33 pm »

I scored a 5 out of 5 on the AP European History Exam. But I forget most of the real specific stuff. I think that for most Americans, you have to be interested in and seek out European history, they don't really 'make' you learn very much of it.

I got a 3.  I will never forgive myself for this (it was during one of two years in which I slacked off in school).  Luckily, my interest in the subject keeps me relatively informed.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: South Street
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 08:34:46 pm »

jeez.

all reciting AP scores. Hmm.

in terms of classes which I remember (ie: highschool), I've had two years of american stuff (US History, and US Government/Politics) and two years of World History (mostly Europe, with bones thrown to asia and africa).

the thing I remember the most was reading the chapter about China's revolution. Not so much because it was interesting, but because I remember looking at the key terms list, and saying "hmm... Chairman Mao, Boxer Rebellion, Gang of Four... Hey! Boxer Rebellion would be a really cool name for a punk band."
I realized this the other day, when I overheard a sophomore talking about the test they had on this.

Hobot, you got a three?

I'm sorry... it's over. We're through.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 09:26:31 pm »

Hobot, you got a three?

I'm sorry... it's over. We're through.

Who would have guessed that all that dirty talk was to cover up the fact that they only loved you for your test scores.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: South Street
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 09:38:18 pm »

Ha! I didn't even take any of the History APs! ... don't judge me.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: South Street
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 09:49:33 pm »

Hobot, you got a three?

I'm sorry... it's over. We're through.

NOOOOO!

But I got 4s and 5s on all my other APs!  Take me back!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: South Street
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 10:24:42 pm »

How can I say no to that face!

You're back! We'll be together forever! You're the love of my life! We'll be shy in public together until we're old!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 10:40:52 pm »

I got two 5s, two 4s and a 3. Interestingly enough, I went on to major in the subject for which I got a 3.

I had no personal stake in the tests from an ego point of view, I just wanted to save time and money. Those scores saved me almost a years worth of credit hours.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: South Street
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 10:51:48 pm »

hm.
I got two fives last year (English Language and US History). My senior year classes are yet to be done (US Govt/Politics, English Literature).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up