Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: South Street  (Read 17826 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: South Street
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 10:29:34 pm »

Yeah, I couldn't think of the name of the sause.  Tzatziki, that's it.  It is made from cucumbers.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 11:18:46 pm »

And it's really good, and the thought of using RANCH DRESSING as a substitute really freaks me out. It sounds vile.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 11:36:23 pm »

And it's really good, and the thought of using RANCH DRESSING as a substitute really freaks me out. It sounds vile.

It wasn't just substituting for the tzatziki. It was the bulk of the object I was given. There was more ranch dressing by volume or mass than all non-pita ingredients combined, and possibly more than all ingredients combined including pita.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 12:12:58 am »

I made Alton's gyro recipe last year.  It was delicious, and reasonably simple.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: South Street
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 02:18:35 am »

It's the same meat, but Gyros are served with souvlaki sauce on a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions, whereas doner is served on a stick with different veggies.

Not where I've had them, but I do know that the German doner is considered to be sort of a bastardization of the Turkish dish.  Where I've had them, they've been served with some kind of flat bread (seems to vary regionally), but not necessarily the same kind of pita bread I get at the Greek places in Salt Lake or Seattle.  But I have had doner boxes (the meat with sauce, onions, and a bunch of fries) and doner plates.

Here.

I bet one big difference is that the doner is Turkish and the gyro is Greek?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: South Street
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 02:25:59 am »

I didn't have any German doner-kebaps, but the falafels were different than north american ones in that they were filled with cabbage. Both red and white, so you didn't even have to decide. That really made it German for me.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 02:45:12 am »

It appears from the falafel game that I linked to a while ago that falafel in Israel has french fries right inside the sandwich.  Despite the fact that you could argue that the Israelis would have a more authentic version of this dish, this doesn't sound like any better of an idea than cabbage.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: South Street
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 05:34:09 am »

It appears from the falafel game that I linked to a while ago that falafel in Israel has french fries right inside the sandwich.  Despite the fact that you could argue that the Israelis would have a more authentic version of this dish, this doesn't sound like any better of an idea than cabbage.

That's basically INSANE.

I actually rather liked the cabbage. It soaked up all the sauce (which I don't think was tahini, something more creamy) pretty well.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2006, 04:56:28 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2006, 02:19:20 pm »

Aw, look at your smiling, sun-kissed face Paul.  Clearly you were looking forward to your Gyro. 

Also, seeing the fries makes me remember that, while fries are nice, indeed the traditional lemon potatoes that are oft served with such a dish are that much greater.

There is a place here that makes lemon potatoes that are so delicious that they almost melt in your mouth.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2006, 05:24:38 pm »

Also, seeing the fries makes me remember that, while fries are nice, indeed the traditional lemon potatoes that are oft served with such a dish are that much greater.

I've only ever had a gyro with fries.  I was actually surprised that Rice or Spaghetti were offered as alternates.  Lemon potatoes weren't an option, sounds tasty though.  My date got the chicken gyro because the "mystery meat" looked "yucky."  I dumped her.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2006, 05:51:39 pm »

Paul has his priorities straight.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2006, 03:47:48 am »

Yeah, the unwillingness to try foods is something I tie to being intrisically flawed as a human being. 

I have a single co-worker who I don't enjoy, and she is the one who complained about the salad I made with Wasabi peas at one potluck, and the goat cheese and leek spread (with toffee'd almonds) I brought to another party.  Both complaints were loud and made as warnings repeatedly to other guest and were also made without actually trying either dish.  She also complained that someone else's super mild-to-the-point-of-bland curry dish was "too spicy" at the same party.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: South Street
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2006, 04:12:15 am »

ugh.

I have such a problem with foods. I will things. But I never like them.

And the fact that I never like them makes me think that I should avoid trying things that people make, to avoid making faces and being rude.

I realize that this is such an immature thing. I am sorry. I try to like these things, but I cannot like them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: South Street
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2006, 04:19:58 am »

I always have to ask people what's in their recipes for kashrut reasons and people take it as me being rude. I wish that weren't the case. I do not like you less as a person if I don't eat your bacon-shrimp-hawk-and-cheese terrine but people always seem to think I do.

That goat cheese-leek spread sounds pretty tasty, though.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up