Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104777 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #480 on: July 17, 2006, 05:42:44 pm »

Boring physics stuff about levers and bones ahead:

Well, our bones and joints and things are like levers, right? And the fulcrums are typically where the tendons (or ligaments? I get the two mixed up) attach. So picture a 15 pound baby sitting (safely harnessed) on a 4 foot long see-saw. On a normal see-saw, the fulcrum is in the middle, so if you wanted the kid to go up, you would push down with 15 pounds of force (well, the equivalent in newtons or footpounds or something, but you get the idea). But if you move the fulcrum closer to you, such that instead of being at the midpoint of the lever it was only one foot from your side. Then, you would need to push down with 45 pounds of force to lift up the baby, because you have 3 feet of the lever on his side, and 1 foot on yours. 3 feet times the baby's weight needs to equal your force times 1 foot in order for the lever to balance.

It's the same basic idea, though you have 2nd class and 3rd class levers in your bones too, which complicates things somewhat. That's why bones can just snap - often the elderly don't fall and break a hip, they break a hip and fall. Your bones have to support many many times your weight when you're standing or moving.

Thanks, otherwise useless physics degree!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #481 on: July 17, 2006, 05:52:55 pm »

Oh, and another doctor told me he didn't know what was wrong today. So now I have an appointment with my specialist in a week, and another one in August to do a pelvic ultrasound. He wants to see if I have any masses on my kidneys. And it's scheduled for the day before I leave for my reception/honeymoon. So right now I'm just really scared and angry and worried that I have cancer and will have to miss my own anniversary party and honeymoon. And I have no idea how much all this is going to cost me - I've thrown down almost $500 just in copays and prescriptions since the middle of June. I haven't even gotten the surgery bill yet.

But on the plus side I'm down 5 pounds for sure in the last month, which means 15 since January. 5 more and I'll be where I want to be!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #482 on: July 17, 2006, 06:21:11 pm »

But on the plus side I'm down 5 pounds for sure in the last month, which means 15 since January. 5 more and I'll be where I want to be!

Congrats Mite!  75% to your goal, wow, that's impressive.  Keep up the good work.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #483 on: July 18, 2006, 12:23:52 am »

...the Canada Food and Fitness Guide for Healthy Living, which lists two "units" of stretching per week as part of its over all recommendations...

So if I stretch my unit twice a week, that would make the Canadian Health Authorities happy?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dying
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2006, 12:34:05 am »

So if I stretch my unit twice a week, that would make the Canadian Health Authorities happy?

All Canadians as I understand it. Which makes it nigh on a moral obligation.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #485 on: July 18, 2006, 01:32:41 am »

"spread your legs and think of Canada, baby!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #486 on: July 18, 2006, 01:44:40 am »

Paul, you can do better than that!  Come on!

Is this better?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Dying
« Reply #487 on: July 18, 2006, 01:55:14 am »

Is this better?

~Paul

Paul, you are the best person ever. The way you 'jumped rope' in a business suit with a completely straight face (I think), coupled with the beautiful 'maestro walk' at the end, is pretty admirable.

So which lucky early morning dog walker did you get to video that?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2006, 03:39:22 am »

Paul, you get a gold star.  You get the fuck*ng goldest, starriest star there is.  You rock.

I must say, it must be cooler/less humid in Utah than it is here.  If I tried to do that in a suit and tie I would flat out expire leaving nothing but a salty pool with a rainbow oil slick on top.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2006, 03:42:52 am »

Paul, you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #490 on: July 18, 2006, 07:15:48 am »

Creeping crappin christ Paul.

Yeah, that'll sure 'nuff do.

Seconded. Also, "creeping crapping Christ" is my new favorite phrase.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #491 on: July 18, 2006, 03:32:24 pm »

Is this better?

~Paul

Quote
You've encountered error message C00D11CD while using Windows Media Player. Additional information is not currently available for this error.

No.  It is most definitly not better.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #492 on: July 20, 2006, 03:39:50 pm »

The combination of too much Greek Festival and too much National Ice Cream Month caused me to have a gain this week.  Plus the fact that I have given up caffeine and have had a headache for two weeks running has led to a decrease in exercise.  As a result I'm up 8/10's of a pound this week.  I'm spinning this into a positive.  Call it a wake up call.  I re-examined my habits and realized that I am neglecting my three major weak points in following the WW plan.  I haven't been a faithful journalist.  I picked up my journal yesterday and to my horror saw that I hadn't filled in the last two days at all.  I was shocked because I thought I had been doing it all along.  My mind was playing tricks on me.  I knew I had been sliding up the scale this week, but there is no way to quantify it.  I just didn't write anything down for two days.  Wow.  Next, I haven't been drinking enough milk.  Weight Watchers reccomends two servings of milk per day.  There is some science that says if you drink your milk you will lose weight faster.  I haven't been drinking enough milk.  Third, I haven't been exercising like I should.  I blame the cronic headaches for that, but i'm going to change all that starting today.  Well actually yesterday.  I was on program, journal'd it, drank my milk, and did a little rope skipping.  This morning according to my unofficial scale I got back that .8 and went down another .4, so I am on the right track.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2006, 04:26:46 pm »

I was down a pound yesterday, but I'm thinking of stepping up my weigh-ins to once per day just so I can keep track of my water balance and get a more accurate average weight over time.  It will hurt the psychological factor, as I'll likely see some gain too throughout the week, but I'll try to make my Tuesday weigh-ins my "true" weight for a week and will be able to contrast and compare better.  Who knows, maybe I actually gained a pound this week but had some excess fluid when I weighed-in last week that accounted for my "loss" this week.

Anyway, I too haven't been journaling what I eat enough because my tools suck.  I'm currently building an app to keep track of this stuff that works better, but it's slow going with just me on the job, and part time at that.

It's just getting hard to walk enough when it's so friggin' hot outside.  When the news warns that going outside could kill you, you tend to want to just crank up the AC and stay indoors.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #494 on: July 20, 2006, 05:30:40 pm »

I was down a pound yesterday, but I'm thinking of stepping up my weigh-ins to once per day just so I can keep track of my water balance and get a more accurate average weight over time.  It will hurt the psychological factor, as I'll likely see some gain too throughout the week, but I'll try to make my Tuesday weigh-ins my "true" weight for a week and will be able to contrast and compare better.  Who knows, maybe I actually gained a pound this week but had some excess fluid when I weighed-in last week that accounted for my "loss" this week.

Anyway, I too haven't been journaling what I eat enough because my tools suck.  I'm currently building an app to keep track of this stuff that works better, but it's slow going with just me on the job, and part time at that.

It's just getting hard to walk enough when it's so friggin' hot outside.  When the news warns that going outside could kill you, you tend to want to just crank up the AC and stay indoors.



Daily weigh in?  Does this mean you can now weigh yourself at home?  If so, bravo.  There was a funky $90 scale that I saw that also measures body fat and water in the body.  I thought about buying it, but it had all sorts of warnings on it about it not being for use if you are pregnant, have heart problems or have recently showered or are wet/persiring - I guess it sends a mild charage through your body to read these other things?  I had a horrified image in my head of my friend, who is both pregnant and with a pacemaker, stepping on the scale, and just, you know ruining her life.  I know the odds are pretty low of this happening, but somehow it just scared me.

I've been really good about writing it all down.  Fitday helps me a lot (thanks again AD).  I felt really guilty when I ate a bunch of pizza last week, but when I put it in to fit day, I realized that it wasn't a total disaster.  Even though I did eat more calories and fat than I wanted to that day, I'd still made sensible choices in eating vegetarian pizza, and through the other choices I'd made that day.

Jough, I totally agree on the walking thing - we've been having a drought here in Manitoba, and there have been days where it's been just disgusting outside.  Thankfully the Y has their air conditioning cranked and has better cable than we do at home.

Paul, right now in Winnipeg, we have the Fringe Theatre Festival, which happens every year, so I really thought of you when I was at the festival with time to kill yesterday.  The Samosa lady and the Gelattie guy, and the Falafel guy were all looking pretty friendly, but I would have eating only out of boredom, not hunger.  It was a pretty big triumph for me to recognize the difference and not give in to an urge that had nothing to do with an actual physical need.  Thankfully I ran into an old buddy I hadn't seen in four years, and he filled the emotional need for free (and without calories).
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40   Go Up