Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06  (Read 19465 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 05:52:45 pm »

We're in prime farmer's market season and Pat is buying frozen dinners? Clearly he deserves to be arrested.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 02:52:09 pm »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Nice Pete has a repository of disguises in an indestructible shed, but it is delightful nonetheless.

I am deeply disturbed, however, by the description of charred tomatillo tamales as "pregnant little corn-flavored dream tubes."

Also, the name of Pat's accent has been changed from California surfer to "Jersey thug."  This is probably for the best, as the quoted lines did not smack of a tanned, stoned, boardshort-clad, bleached-blonde surfer to me.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 06:48:41 pm »


I am deeply disturbed, however, by the description of charred tomatillo tamales as "pregnant little corn-flavored dream tubes."


This is how I think of my wife.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 07:08:55 pm »

That's the most romantic thing I've ever heard.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 06:23:46 pm »

Of course Ray would not only order expensive recording equipment on a whim. He'd also spring for overnight shipping. First Overnight with Saturday delivery, I bet.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 06:41:18 pm »

Krass Medik is a superb name, as is Kareem Kara-mell.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 06:58:35 pm »

Teodor is exactly the kind of dude who thinks he will be famous enough for a rockumentary.

On that note, when Ray was buying all that, I bet the salesman saw Ray's character and was all:

'These knobs go up to 11, while a normal set only contains knobs that go up towards 10.'

And Ray was all:

'Damn. 11. That's serious times.'

So he bought the Marshall recording equipment.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 07:05:28 pm »

oh goddamn.
I just realized that Teodor's blog is where I had heard that song title. (ie: the guided by voices song.)
that means that my name is only slightly better than that of teodor's blog (the inevitable was taken from The Exploding Plastic Inevitable).

the distinctive guitar which Cobain used on Unplugged was actually a really nice vintage guitar (assuming teodor is talking about that one). He found it in a pawn shop and bought it because he liked the look-- kind of jury-rigged. It ended up later that it was one of the first acoustic-electric guitars ever made. The production line consisted of like 50 instruments.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 09:50:11 pm »

Damn, I wish I could just find pro-quality recording gear just lying around.  My beats sound flat and my rhymes do not bust as hard as they should due to a sub-par setup and this is exactly the sort of thing that could correct it.  Guess I should start poking around rich people's garages.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 10:59:16 pm »

Is Exploding Plastic Inevitable the name of a Guided By Voices song?  It was actually the name of Andy Warhol's art project:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding._Plastic._Inevitable.

Also, inev, may I suggest that you read Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" this summer (do not be afraid because it has the word "acid" in the title, or Kool-Aid for that matter).  I read it when I was about your age and it quickly became one of my favourite books.  I believe I also read Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" that same summer. 

It was a great fuck*ng summer.
 

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006, 11:23:32 pm »

yes, I was not specific enough. I first used this name for my... livejournal... because I was obsessed with the VU at the time. And I agreed with Mr Warhol that Inevitable is a pretty good word.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 11:53:07 pm »

people people.. we're missing the real thing here.  Cutty Sarks!  Tape as Rigging!  Clipper Ships!  Square Rigged Sails!  Unfurl the mainsail and don't rip that demo throwaway copy of "The Boxer" this time Boatswain!


Sorry I got all swoony there board.. I am sorry about this.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 11:55:21 pm »

inev, may I suggest that you read Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" this summer (do not be afraid because it has the word "acid" in the title, or Kool-Aid for that matter).  I read it when I was about your age and it quickly became one of my favourite books.  I believe I also read Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer" that same summer. 

It was a great fuck*ng summer.

tI, I believe you should take that statement as a cautionary tale.

~Pau

(edited by wombat to add crucial right bracket in quote)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:39:57 am by wombat »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 12:42:38 am »

Typical Teodor.  Can't make bread without fancy gourmet store ingredients and can't make music without thousands of dollars worth of fancy equipment.  Will he ever understand the virtue of simplicity?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: The Blogs Are Back In Town: June '06
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 02:47:25 am »

Typical Teodor.  Can't make bread without fancy gourmet store ingredients and can't make music without thousands of dollars worth of fancy equipment.  Will he ever understand the virtue of simplicity?
You'd think that being a GBV fan he would be more likely to have tapes upon tapes of random lo-fi bits peppering his bedroom.

I really hope that's foreshadowing a storyline about Teodor's music. Perhaps it's just the similarly bedroom-indie dabbler in me, but I'd love to see Teodor release a few 7"s ... ideally on Prime Time Records, because I like the idea of seeing what happens when Ray tries to market himself towards the hipster market.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up