Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Saddest Thing (new web site)  (Read 10133 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 06:26:49 pm »

Lister-- the thing that makes me the saddest about Starbucks, as per your post, is that they have copyrighted the word "Venti." Which means 20 (as in, oz. I assume.) in Italian. This is equivalent to a Mexican restaurant copywriting "grande."

I get mad every time I see the little (c)

I got a mailer from State Farm yesterday where they put the little R after www.statefarm.com

How is this even necessary? Are they worried that other companies are going to use their URI which still points to the State Farm site? I can't even wrap my head around this.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 08:04:01 pm »

It's the got-damn lawyers.  They're behind this kind of BS.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 10:48:37 pm »

It's true.  The first thing we do is...

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 09:46:23 pm »

There seems to have been a recent explosion of votes which completely messes with the order of everything!

I like it.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 10:17:30 pm »

UM, is it OK if I put
Quote
I got a mailer from State Farm yesterday where they put the little R after www.statefarm.com
as a saddest thing?

Or you can. Either way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 10:57:56 pm »

Yeah, dude, you can add that as a saddest thing.

Right now I am trying to make the random display of things MORE RANDOM.

I seem to keep seeing my Freedom Fries thing come up every other one.  WTF?

Anyway, today I will finish a few little things like putting convenient links in places where people can use them, and then tomorrow I finish up the commenting system so people can add comments about sad things.

P.S. to theinevitable - the reason that all of the people who have posted or voted on things at The Saddest Thing is because the only people who have seen the site so far are TOUAMB members and my friend Chris (who also posted a few things).

SOON I will try to spread the word, although as I said before, feel free to tell your friends.  I would like to have at least 100 things in the site before it starts pulling traffic.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:07:22 pm by jough »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 12:16:44 am »

yeah, I was just trying to think of things. I'm sorry. I did not mean for it to be a Jibe.

I was just taking the piss.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »

um, I think a cool feature would be if you could see a ranking of the least-sad things. Would that be worthwhile?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 09:13:51 pm »

You just want to see your own things on the list!

Actually, to pop up to the top of the list things need XX number of votes.  That number is SECRET but I guess you can figure it out with SCIENCE.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 11:02:42 pm »

no! that isn't it at all!

I just mean that it seems like there is a potential for something to be negative-sad (ie: happy) since the ranking goes from happy to neutral to sad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 11:18:45 pm »

no! that isn't it at all!

"That is not what [he] meant at all;
That is not it, at all."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 03:08:30 am »

Damn, baby, just when I'm feeling all big-brotherly toward you you gotta go and post a T.S. Eliot quote and make me think of you just downright lasciviously again.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 03:15:31 am »

....


Just sayin' is all.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 03:46:42 am »

Damn, baby, just when I'm feeling all big-brotherly toward you you gotta go and post a T.S. Eliot quote and make me think of you just downright lasciviously again.

I've got the sexiest trifecta of interests: Star Wars, Kubrick films, and damn good poetry.  Who could resist?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The Saddest Thing (new web site)
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 04:20:19 am »

Don't forget "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up