Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Poll

Do you wash it every day?

Yep
Not every day

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: The washing hair debate  (Read 63087 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2006, 06:02:29 am »

My hair smells like the styling mousse that I put in it after I get it clean, which is to say, like alcohol and something fruity. 

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2006, 05:28:58 pm »

My hair smells like the styling mousse that I put in it after I get it clean, which is to say, like alcohol and something fruity. 

I'd like you to know that I now picture you using Peppermint Honcho(tm) brand styling products -- "For When Your Hair Needs To Smell Like A Coconut Rum Drink."
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2006, 10:59:26 pm »

Thanks for that V, I was trying to come up with a similar crack but just couldn't do it without involving Jough being served at a gay bar with a little umbrella and that seemed to be going too far.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2006, 07:28:38 am »

Okay, going back to the washing hair debate.

Now that my hair is shoulder-length, I have realized that washing my hair every day has an extra bonus: Avoiding Tangling.

When I was younger, having tangly hair was the bane of my existence. I'm Sicilian and Irish, and I have the misfortune of having hair that is different textures. My Irish heritage gave me some hair that is sleek and straight. The Sicilian hair that I have is coarse, wavy, and thick. Also, my hair and skin gets really dry because of medication that I take and a thyroid condition. My hair used to get tangled and then break, and then I had to deal with obnoxious split ends. Actually, it wouldn't just get tangled, it would spitefully roll into knots so terrible that I would end up ripping out clumps of hair and cry as I brushed my dry, dull, frizzy, nizzasty hair. Then I would be jealous of girls who had nice hair.

My goal is shiny, conditioned, and no tangles. I am a total sucker for hair products and I probably spend far too much on them. I am sure that I have mentioned the actual products that I use (Aveda Black Malva Shampoo/Conditioner, Garnier Sleek/Shine Shampoo/Conditioner, Ojon Restorative Treatment, Ojon Conditioning Shine Serum, and Aveda Self-Control finishing wax) so I won't go into detail here other than to say that I've found my favorite combination. 
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2006, 03:21:54 pm »

Doc, what the hell is it with you and imagining me in a gay bar?

Is there something you want to tell us?

It... OKAY.  This is a safe place...

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2006, 03:33:02 pm »

Okay, going back to the washing hair debate.

I have finally found the solution to my hair debacle. It's very much gotten to a length again where it being frizzy was just, a total nightmare. That said, I have recently discovered the wonder that is shea butter. I had this handwash made form it that smells like heaven, and was thoroughly taken by that. A friend then got me this shampoo with it in that again, kinda smells of heaven (she's now determined to steal it I think).
An internets search brought it up as a recommendation amidst all the mayo/egg/olive oil ones (which I've never dared try), and indeed, the tiniest bit massaged into my hair after I wash it and it's totally frizzless and manageable, without making my hair look at all oily. And, I no longer have to use gel or anything, which I always hated. It's really cheap as well, as it's just pure shea butter direct from a soap-maker's.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2006, 04:30:55 pm »

Let me just say first off that I can't believe i spent half an hour reading this whole thread while my kid ate lunch and threw cheese-filled Ritz Bitz all over the kitchen. 

Second, the product Thee mentioned about seven pages back called Wen is awesome.  With a crazy wild toddler I just don't get the chance to shower daily, unless I take him in the shower with me, which can be a fun game but isn't always efficient.  Then again, I don't necessarily leave the house every day, either.  So I make a point of showering at least every other day and I get a nice long hot bath every Saturday night.  I use this Wen stuff every day, even if I've showered, because it replaces conditioner and gel, and makes my hair shiny.  Plus it smells nice.  I got the sweet almond mint kind. 

I don't blow-dry or use a lot of product because I have a great stylist.  Basically I go in and she makes me pretty.  I have not told her how to cut my hair since the first time I went in.  She just puts her hands on my hair and can tell what will work and what won't.  I've been going to her for four years and I always get compliments.  She knows that I like no-fuss hair so she sticks with styles that work with my hair texture (super-thick and wavy), not against it. 

Finally, Pedro has shaved his head twice and he pulls it off pretty well since he's got a big round Charlie Brown head.  It's kind of sexy for a while but I like him best with regular hair and a goatee. 

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2006, 08:25:16 pm »

That Wen guy's website is the weirdest looking site I have ever seen. What's with all the weird typefaces?  But the products sound so delicious that I am kind of tempted.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2006, 01:21:41 am »

Doc, what the hell is it with you and imagining me in a gay bar?

Is there something you want to tell us?

It... OKAY.  This is a safe place...

There is some rule in my head that if you smell like coconut rum you should be served in a gay bar, or on a beach in the caribbean. Not saying you should be served to me but if one thing led to another...

Actually my experience of gay bars doesn't live up to this stereotype. There is only one prominent gay club in brisbane (not much of a party town) which I frequent often because of cheap drinks (and good floor shows at midnight) and I haven't seen someone drink a coconut rum drink with an umbrella once, why can't people live up to their stereotypes damnit!

I just had an idea for a new drink, I hope I remember it when I wake up.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2006, 03:14:25 am »

That Wen guy's website is the weirdest looking site I have ever seen. What's with all the weird typefaces?  But the products sound so delicious that I am kind of tempted.

Yeah, he appears to be a strange, sad man.  "That was WEN (R) I decided..." 

I buys my smelly hair goops on the tee vee. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2006, 06:56:26 am »

Yeah, he appears to be a strange, sad man.  "That was WEN (R) I decided..." 

I buys my smelly hair goops on the tee vee. 

OOOH! I love trying new stuff. I might have to buy some of that. I am tempted to get the Fig scent because I have dry, curly hair. JL, you say that the sweet almond mint is good? I am not a fan of almond, so I might have to get a different kind... does it have a strong almond scent? Hmm. I can't decide.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2006, 03:46:12 pm »

OK, maybe I am crazy, but I just spent almost 40 dollars (including shipping) for 16 oz of that almond Wen stuff.  I mean, if it works, think of all the time I will save reading shampoo labels trying to avoid that sodium laurel stuff that makes my scalp itchy, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2006, 03:51:33 pm »

Please report back to us if it works for you.  I have psoriasis on one part of my scalp and oily everywhere else, so I seriously want to know if the stuff works.  I'm so skeptical that it will actually clean your hair.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2006, 02:23:55 pm »

does it have a strong almond scent?

No.  The mint has the stronger personality.  The almond just sort of keeps the mint from being overwhelming, from feeling like you doused your head in Scope. 

I should add that I have only used their styling creme, which is awesome.  I haven't used their non-shampoo.  My mother bought the stuff for me off QVC (she's addicted to that network) and she only bought me the styling stuff.  I didn't realize until I actually looked at the label after my last post.  So I guess every second day I'm just dirty. 

I think I might order some of that dry shampoo, though, if Wommie likes it. 

You could order the "Travel set" which includes a six-ounce bottle of each of the four flavours to see which works best and which scent you like.  It's $45.  Apparently you can buy this stuff by the gallon, too, which terrifies me because although I have use it every day since February, my 16 ounce bottle of styling creme is still more than half full.  (Maybe the cleansing conditioner gets used up faster, and I do have short hair, but this seems to justify the exorbitant price.) 

I'd suggest, though, that you make any purchases from QVC.com.  They have an "introductory price" deal, so you can save a couple of bucks.  (Sorry, wommie, I just saw it today.) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The washing hair debate
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2006, 07:42:50 pm »

That's OK, I have never bought something off the TV, even the TV station's website, and maybe it would be better not to start down that slippery slope.

I will definitely report back.  I don't know when it will arrive but it certainly ought to be soon considering what they charged for shipping.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Up