Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading East  (Read 16438 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 05:47:37 pm »

Where is the Mason and Dixon line again?  In Maryland?



It's the MD-PA border
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Heading East
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 05:50:18 pm »

Hey, I live in Northern Virginia. It's only a matter of time before we become our own state.

Hells yeah!  Northern Virginia Statehood now!  See how the rest of you lot like it when we take our tax base and go home.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 05:57:43 pm »

Also, Chicago is HELL of Midwestern and I've never seen a silo or a cornfield there.

In re: Northwestern:
"Northwestern University is a private institution founded in 1851 to serve the Northwest Territory, an area that now includes the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota. In 1853 the founders purchased a 379-acre tract of land on the shore of Lake Michigan 12 miles north of Chicago. They established a campus and developed the land near it, naming the surrounding town Evanston in honor of one of the University's founders, John Evans. After completing its first building in 1855, Northwestern began classes that fall with two faculty members and 10 students."(http://www.northwestern.edu/about/facts/)



The biggest argument I see in this thread is that Paul wants a little more literal interpretation of what is North, South, East, and West without the need to check against historical artifact place names, and culture, while others want to apply those filters to the information.

I think "Southern" is a culture which is why "Southern" states don't include Florida - or Texas, Arizona, New Mexico. All are pretty far south but hardly "Southern".







Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Heading East
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 05:57:50 pm »

There's already a West Virginia.  We can even split NJ between PA and NY and keep the 50 states.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 05:58:30 pm »

I would say Texas is not the south, the panhandle of Flordia is about the most southern state there is, but the rest of Florida is not in the south, that Oklahoma is as hard to classify as Texas, and that I kind of live in the south and have never seen the word snoball, only snocone or shaved ice.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 06:13:58 pm »

Where is the Mason and Dixon line again?  In Maryland?



I have never understood who died and left Mason and Dixon boss.  Someone with a snoball stand, I suspect.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Heading East
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2006, 06:21:06 pm »

yeah, here in NC it's a "sno(w)cone".

also: apparently in the Deep South they call a soda or pop a "coke." Hmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 06:22:51 pm »

Here is what the U.S. Census Bureau thinks.

Apparently i'm heading south.  That's what happens when you let Tom Delay draw the census map.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2006, 06:23:24 pm »

Yeah, it's snow cone in Texas too.  Texas must be in the North.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 06:30:18 pm »

Man, when I was a kid, I would always get coke at restaurants, even though I wanted some other type of soda.  I simply thought you said coke and they would know what you want, I guess (well yea, Coke).  So yes, people do refer to it as coke in like the plains area, at least where I am.  You get friends from out of state and hell of fights errupt over what soda is called:

"Soda sounds gay"
"Coke is a name brand"
"well, I call it pop"

So many lame arguments, so much more time for lame arguments.

In the arguments I had over this trying issue, the soda and coke people would always win.  No one ever liked the people that called it pop.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Heading East
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 06:32:43 pm »

You lot are terrifying. Why can it not be like this? WHY CAN THIS NOT MAKE SENSE?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 06:34:19 pm »

Why can it not be like this?

It is, just some people won't admit it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2006, 06:35:56 pm »

Culture, Judy, culture.  Florida is very SE, but doesn't fit into the stereotypes/traditions that the south has.  Etc, etc.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 02:38:39 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Heading East
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:42 am »

Damn, I started reading this thread, and I was like, "Mite is back?  And misterqueue?  And...when did Jough move back to Philly?  And...oh, dammit, 2006, why do you taunt me so?" 

Dammit. 

Also, I'm not here. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up