It is worse than I thought. We've gone from fan fictions right into the dreaded heart of ACHE-LARP.
Now, again, that's actually an amazingly funny mental image.
Ten or fifteen fat guys and two or three very plain women (who mostly hang out with them because it's the one place they'll be treated as totally hot) all getting together in a basement with Cheetos and Mountain Dew and live-action-roleplaying as... like...
People at a CVS.
Role-playing as people who work the counter, the one lonely security guard napping in the back... role-playing as the lady who freaks out that some cosmetic has gone up a dollar in price... role-playing as the teenage girl who is talking on her cell phone very loudly about standing in line with a bunch of losers... role-playing as the greasy dude trying to pass off a photocopy as a hundred dollar bill... role-playing as a jerk who wants to get all Sophomore-Philosophy-Major about the mild inconvenience of a receipt check...
People role-playing Completely Boring Things.
Y-hw-h? Right after the every blogger does a webcomic? Please get on this fad.
DMV larping. Call-centre-job larping. Waiting while your car gets an oil change larping.
Oh man. It would be so awful to do and so funny to watch.
EDIT: "Aw man, I rolled a one on a twelve-sided die! I gotta stand behind the old man who thinks the Photo Girl can explain Medicare Part B to him! Thankfully, I have a Magazine of Gossip that is +4 against Boredom..."