Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"  (Read 11805 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 06:04:19 am »

Roast Beef's depression always seems to mirror my own.  One day I was feeling hopeless because winter had just started and the sun went down at four, and then this strip came out.  And yesterday I had trouble going to a grocery store.  It's good to know someone understands. 

One of my favorite descriptions of Beef's depression is Ray's:  "Dude keeps it real, and doesn't risk much money. Dude plays it tight. That's my boy. My boy is Roast Beef, and he has so much sense he can barely get outta bed each day."


I have had to have my depression carefully managed out here. In the darkest days of winter, the sun doesn't rise until 11AM and it sets at 4PM.

I love Beef. Having suffered through hell of depression, I can totally sympathize. It just becomes too much for you. Molly, Emeril, and Spongbath should get Beef to a psychiatrist pronto (fuck you, Tom Cruise). There's only so much good a light box can do.

And I love Philippe's little arm akimbo, all sassy-like.
Logged

saniac

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 06:13:34 am »

I had to sign up to say this. Isn't the point of the D that the sign then says "die right"?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 06:18:52 am »

um, wow. I guess that is it.

I am glad that the worst depression-type thing I ever went through never progressed beyond listening to the Doors a lot really loudly on my headphones in my room. I couldn't listen to them without getting all weird for a few years after that. But, yeah. I am glad that I haven't had any of those kind of problems, and hopefully I won't.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 07:30:04 am »

I had to sign up to say this. Isn't the point of the D that the sign then says "die right"?

Brilliant. A tiny can of Dr. Pepper for you. I never noticed that!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 12:56:31 pm »

I had to sign up to say this. Isn't the point of the D that the sign then says "die right"?

Oh!

Ooooohhhhhh.

I'm going back to bed now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 03:35:38 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02022007

Best. Stand-alone strip. Ever.

No it's not. It's a plot to sell that stupid "I'm the guy that sucks/Plus I got depression" T-shirt. Just like when a new Transformer toy hits the shelves and ALL OF A SUDDEN AN EPISODE INTRODUCES THE CHARACTER on the corresponding show.


FUCK you Cosmos
Autobots can not fly

Logged

spex

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:27 pm »

Nobody seems to have mentioned that Teodor appears to be drawing a comic strip at the beginning? Maybe the secret point here is that Teodor is actually the secret creator/magus of the strip as a whole.

Metafiction.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 04:34:10 pm »

Nobody seems to have mentioned that Teodor appears to be drawing a comic strip at the beginning? Maybe the secret point here is that Teodor is actually the secret creator/magus of the strip as a whole.

Metafiction.

Teodor's just good with graphics.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 05:22:32 pm »

bobby.
There is a transformers thing going on lately. Is that true?

The guys on my floor had their favorite time ever, because they watched the Transformers movie and made a drinking game. Where they drank every time they transformed, or "did something human."

I tried, but, we have been over this. beer does not work out for me (esp. semi-cold natural light. ewww.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 06:08:58 pm »

Edit: This is the strip for Groundhog Day.  I will now be bitterly disappointed tomorrow if Punxsutawney Phil does not do as Beef does.

The real life groundhog has SADs, and as such was too lethargic and sad to appear today.  The crowds also make him anxious.

theinev: You got the touch.  You got the power.

All: I think Roast Beef speaks to something in a lot of us.  The lonely alienated portion of us.   Roast Beef strikes a cord with everyone here because we've all found ourselves at 3am sitting at the computer, crying, reading webcomics in our underwear.

I've been thinking a lot about how we're all retarded meat brains.   Our brains are really only meant for finding food, and finding things to have sex with.   All this other stuff that we've done... it's all aftermarket add-ons.   We've gotten so many that our brains really aren't very good for doing what they're made for any more.

I have trouble feeding myself, and finding things to have sex with is problematic.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:15:52 pm by smick »
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 06:40:41 pm »

I'm trying to figure out which Roast Beef I like better... the depressed, anxious one, or the confident, almost cocky one (GOF arc, etc.).

The depressed one is more interesting and tells a better story, but damn, another strip like that and I might start to forget to eat myself.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 06:48:52 pm »

Edit: This is the strip for Groundhog Day.  I will now be bitterly disappointed tomorrow if Punxsutawney Phil does not do as Beef does.

I lived a few miles from Punxy until I was 9. At first I was surprised that Groundhog Day wasn't such a big deal in Virginia, we didn't talk about it at all in school, there were no handouts with pictures of where the immortal Phil lives the other 364 days of the year*, no nothing really but chipper am news anchors relaying Phil's findings.

Then as I got older I was surprised that anybody who lives more that 50 miles from Punxy gives a rat's ass at all.




*in the town library on top of the shelves. Of couse I learned this in 1988.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 06:51:08 pm »

I think it's more that he sees the ugliness and hopelessness of the grocery store -- the tawdry, stained storefront with the single discolored letter; the hokey name (Handi-Rite?  What does that even mean?  Everything is directed at the lowest common demoninator.); the overriding cynicism of our corporate commercial culture.  Beef extrapolates this too far.  He sees it and he thinks that it's the way everything in the world is.  It is a reflection of man's true inner nature.  This saddens Beef.  He does not have the strength to face such ugliness today.  His weakness saddens him further.

Totally. Beef is imagining himself in 20 mintues, thinking about how things went in the store and how a stockboy talked him into buying another whole pork tenderloin because it's on manager's special today when he really only wanted a couple cans of StarKist.  He can't go into the store because he's already looked back on it in his memory and he didn't have a good time.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:53 pm »

Every other one is awesome.  The food chain and restaurant, not so much.  The road sign and this one, so much.

I love Phillipe's thoughtful expression when Teodor says "Not when you have depression" as if that explains it all.  I imagine he is picturing a supermarket with an entrance that says "For Depression Only" and when you go through it you just end up in the loading dock with an empty paper bag.

You did it, coldfrog!  You found the saddest thing! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2, 2007 - "you just walk right in"
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 09:48:01 pm »


I've been thinking a lot about how we're all retarded meat brains.   Our brains are really only meant for finding food, and finding things to have sex with.   All this other stuff that we've done... it's all aftermarket add-ons.   We've gotten so many that our brains really aren't very good for doing what they're made for any more.


Ooohhhhh. So terribly, terribly true.

I am really going back to bed now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up